• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

harSon said:
Maybe it's because I'm only 6-7 weeks into my diet, but I really have no urge to cheat on my diet in any significant way. Even when they're within reaching distance, I don't have any cravings for carbs or sweets.

Sweet I have only been doing it for 3 days but I don't have huge cravings either.. I would always crave FAT when on a low calorie diet.. sweets were never my thing, So if this works then awesome.

BertramCooper said:
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard is my new shake of choice.

I've had the Double Rich Chocolate and Delicious Strawberry and like them both a lot. The ON strawberry isn't nearly as medicine-ish as most of the other strawberry shakes I've had.

Thanks So Much!

omgkitty

JetBlackPanda said:
Do you guys have some recommendations for low carb protein shakes? I remember someone said they liked mint chocolate.

thanks

All the low-carb protein shakes I have ever had were shit, but if you buy something like chocolate and then add a scoop or two of some peanut butter to it, it will make it tons better.

Sethos

Banned
Past week or so has been a right bitch. Last week I was at a little over 23.1lbs lost and everything was going great, then I got this bad stomach flu thing going coupled with a bad constipation and I started eating a lot of dairy products ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ymer_(dairy_product) mainly ) with some prunes and that's pretty carb rich when you live off that for 5-6 days. Gained a few pounds actually and now I'm back down at 23lbs. Whenever I stray over the 100g carb limit now, my body just kicks my ass.

Seeing good losses after upping water intake and getting the carbs more on point.

My Uncle is coming into town this week though and we're going to smash some Chicago Style Pizza though... *sigh*.

I'll pretend like I'm not excited but hopefully doesn't mess me up too badly.

Since I gained some little weight (fasting isn't suitd to weigh loss, ha ha ha), I decided to change some of my habits, in order to improve my lifestyle. My goal isn't to quickly lose a lot of weight, but rather have a steady and stable loss.
My diet has several points :
  • It is kind of like a diet for diabetics, ie little to no processed sugar or fat, food with a low glycemic index.

As my current lifestyle (wake up at 7am, return from work/college at 10pm) doesn't really permit me to prepare elaborate meals, my meals menu will be :
  • Breakfast : 1 bowl of cereals (All Bran or Special K or Muesli, one serving) with semi-skimmed milk, with a glass of orange juice and a cup of tea (with artificial sweetener)
  • Lunch : Whatever they propose at the cafeteria, in accordance with the precedent rules (one meal = unlimited water, an entry, a main dish, one dairy product - cheese or yogurt - and one dessert (fruit or pastry)).
  • Dinner : 1 bowl of soup or one serving of vegetables, cooked without any fat (or generally green beans with some argan oil and pepper), with a serving of white meat (generally chicken) and rusks, with a fat & sugar-free fruit yogurt.
  • If hungry, eat an apple or bananas or clementine (delliiiiciious) or drink something.
  • As for drinks, I will allow myself to drink as much as I want, but only water/tea/soda without sugar (artificial sweeteners), such as Diet Coke (I drink a LOT of that).

As for the exceptions :
  • I will allow myself to eat once a week at a fast food or another "fatty" joint (donner kebab, pizzeria, etc). I generally do not go there unless it's convenient for me.
  • I will allow myself to go out once a week (= going to bars with friends, drink, etc).
I will also go to work on foot (4km/day) each day, and do some exercise at home.

I will keep on updated on how this work.

dmag1223

Tribes of Trusty said:
Since I gained some little weight (fasting isn't suitd to weigh loss, ha ha ha), I decided to change some of my habits, in order to improve my lifestyle. My goal isn't to quickly lose a lot of weight, but rather have a steady and stable loss.
  • It is kind of like a diet for diabetics, ie little to no processed sugar or fat, food with a low glycemic index.

As my current lifestyle (wake up at 7am, return from work/college at 10pm) doesn't really permit me to prepare elaborate meals, my meals menu will be :
  • Breakfast : 1 bowl of cereals (All Bran or Special K or Muesli, one serving) with semi-skimmed milk, with a glass of orange juice and a cup of tea (with artificial sweetener)
  • Lunch : Whatever they propose at the cafeteria, in accordance with the precedent rules (one meal = unlimited water, an entry, a main dish, one dairy product - cheese or yogurt - and one dessert (fruit or pastry)).
  • Dinner : 1 bowl of soup or one serving of vegetables, cooked without any fat (or generally green beans with some argan oil and pepper), with a serving of white meat (generally chicken) and rusks, with a fat & sugar-free fruit yogurt.
  • If hungry, eat an apple or bananas or clementine (delliiiiciious) or drink something.
  • As for drinks, I will allow myself to drink as much as I want, but only water/tea/soda without sugar (artificial sweeteners), such as Diet Coke (I drink a LOT of that).

As for the exceptions :
  • I will allow myself to eat once a week at a fast food or another "fatty" joint (donner kebab, pizzeria, etc). I generally do not go there unless it's convenient for me.
  • I will allow myself to go out once a week (= going to bars with friends, drink, etc).
I will also go to work on foot (4km/day) each day, and do some exercise at home.

I hope this works for you, but why are you skimping out on fat, but drinking OJ with breakfast? Thats like have a coke with your cereal in terms of sugar, while depriving tour body of essential nutrients(fats).

I have a question, low carb GAF. Is milk ok to have once a day? I know it has a decent amount of sugar, but is lactose the same as other sugars? or is sugar the same no matter what?

I don't plan on skimping the fat altogether, but have as little as possible (after all you need your daily dose of proteins, lipids and carbohydrates). I meant that no more fries or saturated fat (you may have noticed that I use argan oil, which is 80% dessaturated fat).
Also the orange juice is, like the yogurt, without any additionnal sugar (it would be like eating the fruit in itself).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Achtius said:
is 72% cocoa chocolate dark enough? or should i try to find darker ones?

I think the amount of sugar in the chocolate is more important.

I've been buying 86% stuff with 6g of sugar per serving. Even still, I limit my intake to less than a single serving per day.

Can someone post that long YouTube dinner talk?

I forget, it's some professor in Florida. Talks about Taube's book a lot.
Not The Bitter Truth/Lustig one.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Tribes of Trusty said:

As for the exceptions :

Your entire plan sounds pretty awful to me other than the walking part. I hope you find success, though.

Well, it certainly isn't as tightly elaborated as certain diets out there.
I'm giving it a shot for one month to see the results before deciding going on or to stop.

Xelinis

Tribes of Trusty said:
I don't plan on skimping the fat altogether, but have as little as possible (after all you need your daily dose of proteins, lipids and carbohydrates). I meant that no more fries or saturated fat (you may have noticed that I use argan oil, which is 80% dessaturated fat).
Also the orange juice is, like the yogurt, without any additionnal sugar (it would be like eating the fruit in itself).

Saturated fat isn't bad for you.

Also, don't opt for juice, just have the whole fruit instead.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
JetBlackPanda said:
Do you guys have some recommendations for low carb protein shakes? I remember someone said they liked mint chocolate.

thanks

Unsweetened Optimum Nutrition Whey vanilla, if they still make it.

Sethos

Banned
Holy shit, watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and I'm having a hard time believing the speed of that weight loss, over 46lbs in 31 days?! That can't be right ... can it o_O

Sethos said:
Holy shit, watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and I'm having a hard time believing the speed of that weight loss, over 46lbs in 31 days?! That can't be right ... can it o_O

Most health officials will tell you 3 lbs a week is healthy. I watched that documentary and I wondered what kind of damage he was doing to his gall bladder and other organs by going liquid diet.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Tribes of Trusty said:

As for the exceptions :

Diet Coke does have an artificial sweetener - aspartame. It also has phosphoric acid which contributes to the formation of kidney stones.

Oh and your Special K has High Fructose Corn Syrup unless you live in the UK or Australia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_K#North_American_Market_except_Canada

So much for your avoiding processed sugar diet. :)

Sethos said:

Even if he did lose that much, I still can't suggest that diet.
You're drinking sugar water without a lot of the nutrition you would get from whole fruits and veggies.

Sethos

Banned
Yeah, can definitely see the downsides.

Honestly though, I'm seriously considering trying a 30-day version just for the hell of it. Will look into a juicer :p

AceBandage said:
Well, it's your call, but I don't think anyone in this thread would advocate the juice diet.
Even if it weren't a ridiculous idea on its face, the idea of spending all of that money to throw it all in the garbage after you juice the produce makes my head spin with the stupid wastefulness.

Sethos

Banned
AceBandage said:
Well, it's your call, but I don't think anyone in this thread would advocate the juice diet.

I know, been in this thread for quite some time and know the low-carb is the way forward. Now I've been on the low-carb for little over 2 months and lost 23 pounds circa, it's all good and I feel great. I'm just looking to shake things up, perhaps try another diet for 30-40 days and then back on the low-carb.

Main reason is because I'm getting a bit bored of the low-carb.

elrechazao said:
Even if it weren't a ridiculous idea on its face, the idea of spending all of that money to throw it all in the garbage after you juice the produce makes my head spin with the stupid wastefulness.

There's different kinds of juicers, some squeeze and leave most of the fruit to throw out, others almost blend it / slice it and you get the entire fruit / vegetable.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sethos said:

A lot of that weight wasn't from body fat.

Sethos said:
I know, been in this thread for quite some time and know the low-carb is the way forward. Now I've been on the low-carb for little over 2 months and lost 23 pounds circa, it's all good and I feel great. I'm just looking to shake things up, perhaps try another diet for 30-40 days and then back on the low-carb.

There's different kinds of juicers, some squeeze and leave most of the fruit to throw out, others almost blend it / slice it and you get the entire fruit / vegetable.
It's still a discarding of the majority of the actual body of nutrients in favor of the liquid. Watch the movie. He's not making slush, it's juice, and he's discarding basically the bulk of the produce. Actually, none of us should watch that movie. I'm still regretting that I did....

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Gary Whitta said:
My scale says +4lb after my carby cheat day yesterday! I hope most of that's just bloat!

I always weigh myself in the morning after the bathroom... and again in the evening. Seems the average flux is about 2-3 lbs on bad days. I've had 4lbs swings w/in 24 hrs but never more.

I'd personal be worried about gains if I was more than 4 over... anything 4 or less I could easily (and probably would) just attribute to a bad day.

Gary Whitta said:
My scale says +4lb after my carby cheat day yesterday! I hope most of that's just bloat!
Dat water retention. I gained 12 pounds in a week 2 weeks ago, and lost it all but .5 by the next week. I pissed a lot too :D

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
elrechazao said:
Dat water retention. I gained 12 pounds in a week 2 weeks ago, and lost it all but .5 by the next week. I pissed a lot too :D

12 is quite a lot unless you're kind of a big dude... I know people can bloat but 12 is pretty significant swing.

Domino Theory said:
Diet Coke does have an artificial sweetener - aspartame. It also has phosphoric acid which contributes to the formation of kidney stones.

Oh and your Special K has High Fructose Corn Syrup unless you live in the UK or Australia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_K#North_American_Market_except_Canada

So much for your avoiding processed sugar diet. :)
I live in France, so pas de High Fructose Corn Syrup yay !
wikipedia said:
Australian and other markets
Cereals (62%) (rice, wheat), wheat gluten, sugar, wheat flour, minerals (calcium carbonate, iron, zinc oxide), salt, barley malt extract, vitamins (niacin, vitamin B6, riboflavin, thiamin, folate).
It still has sugar, but ah well...maybe I'll stick with all-brean or muesli.

Sethos said:

Low carb eating shouldn't be a "do it for a little while until I get bored" thing. It should be a change in lifestyle, way of life.
Up to you though. Good luck!

elrechazao said:
I went from 184 to 196 to 184.5 the next week. 6' tall

Any dietary changes those 2 weeks?

Eteric Rice

Domino Theory said:
Watching Fat Head for the third time right now.

I fucking love this documentary.

Yeah, it's great.

Well, except for the libertarian part. But even I can agree with most of what he says.

ipukespiders said:
Low carb eating shouldn't be a "do it for a little while until I get bored" thing. It should be a change in lifestyle, way of life.
Up to you though. Good luck!

Any dietary changes those 2 weeks?
Yeah, I cheated and ate carbs like a madman...birthday cake, etc etc.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Tribes of Trusty said:
[snip]

Unlike most of the others, I'll wish you the best. I've had noticeable and consistent results on a similar diet in previous years, focusing on sensible routines, low(er) calorie, low fat, a modest amount of carbs, high protein, and regular exercise (30-60 minutes of cardio and some light weights).

Only specific adjustments I'd suggest are swapping in whole oats for the All Bran and Special K; Muesli is fine, but make sure to look at the ingredients because those kinds of cereals are often loaded up with extra sweeteners. You can make your own granola and muesli-type cereals pretty easily in the oven and know exactly what's in it. Also, the OJ is pretty unnecessary (just have whole fruit) and try to ease into black coffee and/or tea without any sweeteners or milk needed. Try some different brands if you don't care for the straight taste! I wonder now why I was putting all the extras in my morning drink when they taste pretty nice as is.

I keep struggling along with low carb because I want to see it working, but I haven't gotten any real results over the months. I honestly don't think it's going to be a viable alternative for someone like me who's small and not looking to lose a large amount of fat; everyone who gets the "wow" losses was pretty overweight to begin with. The idea of having to maintain it semi-permanently is discouraging, too. Guess I'm just not willing to essentially "Robinson Crusoe" myself from three-quarters of society simply to prove a point that can be reached through other more attainable (for me) methods.

Cosmic Bus said:
Unlike most of the others, I'll wish you the best. I've had noticeable and consistent results on a similar diet in previous years, focusing on sensible routines, low(er) calorie, low fat, a modest amount of carbs, high protein, and regular exercise (30-60 minutes of cardio and some light weights).

Only specific adjustments I'd suggest are swapping in whole oats for the All Bran and Special K; Muesli is fine, but make sure to look at the ingredients because those kinds of cereals are often loaded up with extra sweeteners. You can make your own granola and muesli-type cereals pretty easily in the oven and know exactly what's in it. Also, the OJ is pretty unnecessary (just have whole fruit) and try to ease into black coffee and/or tea without any sweeteners or milk needed. Try some different brands if you don't care for the straight taste! I wonder now why I was putting all the extras in my morning drink when they taste pretty nice as is.

I keep struggling along with low carb because I want to see it working, but I haven't gotten any real results over the months. I honestly don't think it's going to be a viable alternative for someone like me who's small and not looking to lose a large amount of fat; everyone who gets the "wow" losses was pretty overweight to begin with. The idea of having to maintain it semi-permanently is discouraging, too. Guess I'm just not willing to essentially "Robinson Crusoe" myself from three-quarters of society simply to prove a point that can be reached through other more attainable (for me) methods.

This thread has kind of become the de facto low-carb thread despite most of the people posting pictures using a plan similar to yours. It's interesting...

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I certainly don't dispute that many people get great results with low/no carb, but it's absolutely not for everyone. The aggressive and often dismissive attitudes from a few specific posters is what really sours me on the whole thing, as if even attempting something else is guaranteed failure and deserves to be scorned.

Those occasional extreme examples of rubbing it in our faces ("It's Saturday night and I'm slurpin' raw pork lard out of a can! Still losing weight, bitches!") is pretty disgusting simply from a mental standpoint, haha.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cosmic Bus said:
I certainly don't dispute that many people get great results with low/no carb, but it's absolutely not for everyone. The aggressive and often dismissive attitudes from a few specific posters is what really sours me on the whole thing, as if even attempting something else is guaranteed failure and deserves to be scorned.

Those occasional extreme examples of rubbing it in our faces ("It's Saturday night and I'm slurpin' raw pork lard out of a can! Still losing weight, bitches!") is pretty disgusting simply from a mental standpoint, haha.

You let a few arrogant/intolerant people (who are most likely joking around) ruin your view of a lifestyle that is sure to work for anyone and everyone?

I'm no advocate of ketosis (although I think it's fine), but being grains and processed carbs being uniquely fattening is pretty much an objective truth at this point.

noire said:
Eh, do whatever works to lose the weight. Low carb, low fat, low calorie, whatever. I think most people in here would agree that you should do whichever works to get and keep the fat off and improve your overall health.
I appreciate the point you're making, but I think pretty much everyone can agree that low fat diets are a load of bunk.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Zefah said:
You let a few arrogant/intolerant people (who are most likely joking around) ruin your view of a lifestyle that is sure to work for anyone and everyone?

Not exclusively people here, but the generally vitriolic our-way-or-the-highway attitude that seems to so often come along with the low carb lifestyle. And I never said it wasn't "sure to work," I said that it's not always achievable or able to be maintained by everyone for any number of reasons not tied to willpower. People live different types of lives, low carb simply can't exist in some of them, and that's perfectly fine.

Healthy weight loss and fitness goals can and have been reached and maintained by many, many people through a variety of means, and (in most cases) they aren't harming themselves or doing it "the wrong way."

cuevas said:
It's less about the diets and more about the dieter.
I'm simply saying that a low-fat approach to dieting - which sadly has become the norm these days - is incredibly flawed.

Placing the low fat approach on equal footing with a low calorie or low carb approach and then telling someone, "Pick whichever of the three you want - they all work!" is just flat-out wrong.

BertramCooper said:
I'm simply saying that a low-fat approach to dieting - which sadly has become the norm these days - is incredibly flawed.

Placing the low fat approach on equal footing with a low calorie or low carb approach and then telling someone, "Pick whichever of the three you want - they all work!" is just flat-out wrong.

Different things work for different people, and there's no proof that people who lose weight one way are healthier than those who lose it another.

Most of the people here who have lost weight via low-carb and have posted pics don't look any better or healthier than the ones who haven't. They look just as soft and flabby as low cal/low fat people, sometimes more so. Furthermore most are struggling to maintain and some have gained weight back and still can't get over their carb addiction and will more than likely end up gaining a significant amount of their weight back.

Top Bottom