• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sethos said:
Same here. Been on the low carb for around two months and lost almost 24lbs, great diet and I'd recommend it to anyone but this thread has turned into the Low-Carb Zealot thread. Every time someone wants to try something different there's no sensible discussion, no talking about anything or giving out any suggestions -- it's all about taking the piss and just calling doom and gloom for most of the regulars to the thread, some people need to get over that shit.

However I've started my juice diet today and obviously I'm still trying to find the golden middle-road, I'll be starting out with juice 3-4 times a day for a replacement to all meals but I'm not idiot, not going to go full monty 60 days if I feel like shit, my bowels are a mess and I start oozing green sludge out of every orifice. I'll be trying it a few days, see how I feel energy wise as well and then perhaps add a solid meal every weekend to give my body something to work with, perhaps only juice for 2 meals and then a low-carb meal, still testing out the waters.

I can report after the first two meals that surprisingly it does give you that full feeling and gives me a load of energy, however that can probably change over the next few days and all depends what vegetables and fruits I use. I just made sure I don't use too many fruits as I don't want to be on a fructose sugar buzz basically, I want the vegetable nutrients.

Hopefully I can report a solid weight loss by next week.

Sorry, but how can there be sensible discussion about a diet that consists of nothing but juice from vegetables and fruit?

Rocket Punch said:
So guys, I'm about to start the Subway diet in a week. I'm finally commited and ready to do it for good. 1 sub per day split in 2 meals + a fruit or OJ. Sub on whole wheat, cheese on it every other day. Turkey or rosted chicken, no mayo, a bit of mustard only. All veggies except olives and pickles. Drinking only water and the occasional diet soda

I know there's better ways of doing this but I live a block away from Subway and a sub a day is actually cheaper that buying my food at Safeway. Most importantly I won't have to worry about portions which is my weakness.

I will incorporate excersive progressively. I will start walking from work and in a couple of weeks will start going to the Y. I'm currently sitting at 265lbs which is my all time high. I hope to get to 225lbs and stay there with exercise and a more balanced diet.

Wish me luck. Suggestions are welcomed.

I think the bolded is where you have a high chance of failure/rebounding. You seem to be looking at your subway diet as a temporary thing just to get down to your desired weight. I'd highly recommend finding a diet that you think you can adopt permanently. Otherwise, you're probably doomed to rebounding even if you lose a bunch of weight at first.

Sethos

Banned
Zefah said:
Sorry, but how can there be sensible discussion about a diet that consists of nothing but juice from vegetables and fruit?

And how does it effect you, how does it hurt you? How does it give anyone the right to be a complete ass?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sethos said:
And how does it effect you, how does it hurt you? How does it give anyone the right to be a complete ass?

It doesn't, but it just seems hard to sensibly discuss something like a juice fast. Just how the 30 bananas a day diet got ridiculed a page or two ago.

All that can be said is, "okay, good luck!" along with a warning about the possible dangers.

Sethos

Banned
noire said:
Okay, I see now. There are different parties: those that are losing weight to be healthy, and those that are losing weight and don't give a shit about their health.

See, now you're doing it again.

Just stop being a fucking dick and move on. If we want to die with these diets, which will most likely happen ( ... ) then let that be our choice. No need to constantly shit on it because you are a doctor and an expert in human health.

Fuck this thread, low-carb zealots heaven.

noire said:
Okay, I see now. There are different parties: those that are losing weight to be healthy, and those that are losing weight and don't give a shit about their health.

I'm in the "want to lose fat" party. Losing weight is for suckers.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
well, this is the first time... since I don't even know when.. that my waist in ALL places is under 31". 30" dress pants have basically no "muffin top" (I'm a dude, so yeah saying that is embarrassing), and 30" jeans and casual pants/shorts have a decent amount of room there.. belt not needed, but helps.

not really a weight loss though. still same weight give or take 2-3lbs. I stopped caring about weight a tiny bit over a year ago and it was frankly the best decision ever for me. eat right, eat til I'm full, and keep exercising.

currently eating homemade chili. two types of kidney beans, crushed tomatoes, spices and 93% lean ground beef. topped off with a reduced fat mexican cheese blend (made with 2%). no carbs other than the beans (which yes I know don't count for paleo along with the cheese.. WHATEVS!! :p )

noire said:
it's like that for EVERY weight loss program/group. people who care about the all magical number on the scale, and people who are interested in improving strength/cardio/etc and monitoring their waistline/pant size. HOWEVER, support is support, and even though solely paying attention to the scale isn't a great way to do things, at least it's a better place for most people to be than the 30-100lbs overweight they previously were. I tell people all the time how frustrated I am that I went about losing weight in the LEAST efficient way possible (bad workout program and calorie restricted diet) and their response is basically "stfu.. you got to your target weight and have kept it off. who cares how long it took?"

omgkitty

Just ate a bunch of sushi for lunch. Tasted good but those damn carbs! I caved seeing as it's the first day of my last semester of school and Arsenal got destroyed yesterday...I'm just making excuses.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Having a hard time with any kind of "diet" or changed eating habits. I am able to do the low carb thing during the week basically because I am at work, or home and I live by myself. During the week I want to eat and be done with it too. But come the weekend (Friday night, Saturday Lunch/Dinner, Sunday Lunch) I am usually with people or away from home and I just eat whatever. Had a sub this weekend and some pizza.

I know the cheat meal mentality, but with me it becomes 4 cheat meals a weekend. Which is not conducive to a low carb diet.

I think i just don't have enough delicious low-carb (cheap and easy) recipes to make, so I look in my cupboard and decide I'd rather grab something out (if I'm not already out and about, which i usually am).

Suggestions? Do you guys have any delicious easy and cheap low carb meals that are different than my weeknight eggs or chicken/some kind of meat and veggies?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Deadly Cyclone said:
Having a hard time with any kind of "diet" or changed eating habits. I am able to do the low carb thing during the week basically because I am at work, or home and I live by myself. During the week I want to eat and be done with it too. But come the weekend (Friday night, Saturday Lunch/Dinner, Sunday Lunch) I am usually with people or away from home and I just eat whatever. Had a sub this weekend and some pizza.

I know the cheat meal mentality, but with me it becomes 4 cheat meals a weekend. Which is not conducive to a low carb diet.

I think i just don't have enough delicious low-carb (cheap and easy) recipes to make, so I look in my cupboard and decide I'd rather grab something out (if I'm not already out and about, which i usually am).

Suggestions? Do you guys have any delicious easy and cheap low carb meals that are different than my weeknight eggs or chicken/some kind of meat and veggies?

I guess it just comes down to whether or not you really want to change your situation and improve your health. If you're dedicated and you educate yourself about why so much food out there is pure garbage and detrimental to your health, I would think it would be easy to just say no to sandwiches and pizza, etc. It is for me at least.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
noire said:
Doesn't sound like you need recipes as much as you need help finding the things that keep you on track when you're out with people. Can you get the subs in a lettuce wrap? Does the pizza place have salads?

I went out Saturday and resisted the urge to get the steak and frites. Went with a wedge salad with added grilled chicken instead.

Remember that you can usually sub out the starches/carbs for salad or a seasonal steamed vegetable.

Whatever do you mean by resist the urge to get steak? Why would you do that :( ?Just replace those fries with veggies or salad, or skip the side all together!

Schlep

Deadly Cyclone said:
But come the weekend (Friday night, Saturday Lunch/Dinner, Sunday Lunch) I am usually with people or away from home and I just eat whatever. Had a sub this weekend and some pizza.
I don't really have an issue going out with people. Last night my group went to Genghis Grill and I had meat (steak, shrimp, crab) and vegetables with a tomato/garlic sauce, no starch. It was very good. A few other nights this last week: hot wings and celery/ranch, steak with green beans, fajitas with corn tortillas, salmon w/ vegetables, and mussels with butter and vegetables. If someone wants to go to a place that absolutely won't work (eg. subway), just tell them you'd rather go someplace else. Even three crunchy taco supremes at Taco Bell is somewhat low carb (36g carb, 9g fiber).

Honestly, I think you'd have to be eating at a pretty odd restaurant for them not to have low carb options, even if it's just slightly altering what's on the menu (eg. can I get vegetables instead of rice?).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
See it's much easier when you go to a sit-down place and order, then I have no problem. It's just that most of the time it's "hey Subway is right there let's grab that" or it's later on at night and someone says "let's juts grab 2 $5 pizzas for delivery."

The other part is in my head, sometimes I get to the point where I just don't want anything in my cupboards and want something "good." This is why I wanted some new cheap and easy low carb recipes, I figure if I can find some good stuff and keep it for weekends only it may help me to not want to go grab something because I am tired of what I have been eating all week.

Schlep

Deadly Cyclone said:
The other part is in my head, sometimes I get to the point where I just don't want anything in my cupboards and want something "good." This is why I wanted some new cheap and easy low carb recipes, I figure if I can find some good stuff and keep it for weekends only it may help me to not want to go grab something because I am tired of what I have been eating all week.
Yeah, I hate looking at cook books for ideas. What I always do is look at the menus for restaurants around me, find something that looks good, and then look for a recipe on how to make it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Deadly Cyclone said:
See it's much easier when you go to a sit-down place and order, then I have no problem. It's just that most of the time it's "hey Subway is right there let's grab that" or it's later on at night and someone says "let's juts grab 2 $5 pizzas for delivery."

At those times, I've learned that I'd rather just go hungry than gorge on garbage and feel like shit later on. Stop by the convenience store and grab a bag of raw almonds, maybe?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Zefah said:
At those times, I've learned that I'd rather just go hungry than gorge on garbage and feel like shit later on. Stop by the convenience store and grab a bag of raw almonds, maybe?

I agree on the pizza, but Subway is delicious and I feel fine after eating it as what I normally get isn't that unhealthy, but it's all about the carbs.

I just need to be able to have some good low carb stuff around the house aside from my 2 main dishes I eat every weeknight to give me an incentive to eat at home on weekends.

Akim

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
I agree on the pizza, but Subway is delicious and I feel fine after eating it as what I normally get isn't that unhealthy, but it's all about the carbs.

I just need to be able to have some good low carb stuff around the house aside from my 2 main dishes I eat every weeknight to give me an incentive to eat at home on weekends.

Try CKD maybe.

So I've been reading through the earlier parts of this thread and DAMN does teh_pwn know everything about, well, everything. How does one absorb so much information?

I want him as my personal dietitian and I want it now!

aechris

One thing I've found helps with eating out is checking the nutrition guides for nearby restaurants beforehand and knowing what's decent and what's not. A lot of the time that delicious low-carb steak has a ton of sugar in the sauce they add to it. As long as I have one or two go-to meals for those restaurants we usually hit, it's less difficult to make proper decisions once I'm out.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
omgkitty said:
So wait...you've lost 100 pounds in 2 to 3 months? That doesn't sound right.

Over a year, but I "only" dieted a total of 2x3 months, ( = 6 months :I )

Schlep

Officially down 24 pounds in 10 weeks with minimal effort outside of the last two weeks of strength training (3x/week). Went again today, and washing my hands is taking some effort. Shooting for 5x per week going forward.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Schlep said:
Officially down 24 pounds in 10 weeks with minimal effort outside of the last two weeks of strength training (3x/week). Went again today, and washing my hands is taking some effort. Shooting for 5x per week going forward.

Congratulations on the great progress. What kind of strength training exercises are you doing?

aechris said:
One thing I've found helps with eating out is checking the nutrition guides for nearby restaurants beforehand and knowing what's decent and what's not. A lot of the time that delicious low-carb steak has a ton of sugar in the sauce they add to it. As long as I have one or two go-to meals for those restaurants we usually hit, it's less difficult to make proper decisions once I'm out.

My general rule is to avoid all sauces unless I know exactly what's in it.

Two weeks before my trip to South Carolina.
Gonna try to do the Keto thing and see if I can get rid of the little bit of fat around my stomach.
Hopefully it works.

Schlep

Zefah said:
Congratulations on the great progress. What kind of strength training exercises are you doing?
Thanks! If you're interested in joining, I can send you a Fitocracy invite. Basically so far it's a lot of body weight and dumbbell exercises (I don't have a spotter). Bench press, incline bench, shoulder press, cable crossover, pushups, decline pushups, crunches, reverse crunches, russian twists, jackknife situps, lawnmower, deadlift, squats, lat pulldown, reverse pullups, lunges, calf raises, hyperextensions...that's all I can think of.

There are a few more. I'm changing up what I do at the beginning of every month with a personal trainer.

Akim

Banned
AceBandage said:
Two weeks before my trip to South Carolina.
Gonna try to do the Keto thing and see if I can get rid of the little bit of fat around my stomach.
Hopefully it works.

.....in 2 weeks?

Domino Theory said:
High protein, high dairy, low-carb diet superior for fat loss and muscle gain: http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-08-foods-rich-protein-dairy-products.html
Pretty obvious at first, but it's great to have yet another study under its belt in addition to the interesting part about dairy being so helpful in both fat loss and muscle gain.
Another reason to have your milk & cheese and enjoy it, too. :)

I did high protein, high dairy but never paid attention to carbs. Still kept a lot of my strength and lost a ton of weight (108lbs so far).

cuevas said:
I did high protein, high dairy but never paid attention to carbs. Still kept a lot of my strength and lost a ton of weight (108lbs so far).

Wow. Great job!
Agreed on the dairy. Love my milk, cream and cheeses.

Srsly

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
Surprised me too. The amount of difference in muscle gain/loss was pretty trivial as well.

"On top of the muscle mass differences, the higher-protein, high-dairy group lost twice as much belly fat than the lower-protein, low-dairy group."

Not trivial at all. Belly fat / visceral fat is the dangerous fat that causes all kinds of disease, including heart disease and metabolic syndrome.

I'd like to see how long that study was and the actual macros (and types of macros) of each arm of the study.

People who lose a lot of weight generally lose at least several lbs of lean mass, if not more. Not losing any lean mass while dieting is a huge advantage. I'm assuming the study was a fairly short duration one based on the amount of muscle loss.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Srsly said:
"On top of the muscle mass differences, the higher-protein, high-dairy group lost twice as much belly fat than the lower-protein, low-dairy group."

Not trivial at all. Belly fat / visceral fat is the dangerous fat that causes all kinds of disease, including heart disease and metabolic syndrome.

I'd like to see how long that study was and the actual macros (and types of macros) of each arm of the study.

People who lose a lot of weight generally lose at least several lbs of lean mass, if not more. Not losing any lean mass while dieting is a huge advantage. I'm assuming the study was a fairly short duration one based on the amount of muscle loss.

Unfortunately, you probably won't see that since it doesn't appear to be a controlled study. Any conclusions drawn from an uncontrolled study should be taken with many a grain of salt, in my opinion.

Without knowing the exact macro percentages, and what kind of food was consumed, it's hard to draw any meaningful information from this.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Zefah said:
Unfortunately, you probably won't see that since it doesn't appear to be a controlled study. Any conclusions drawn from an uncontrolled study should be taken with many a grain of salt, in my opinion.

Without knowing the exact macro percentages, and what kind of food was consumed, it's hard to draw any meaningful information from this.

You can access the full study here: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/141/9/1626.full

Problem is you need an account to view it. :/

Srsly

Banned
"The APLD and APMD groups consumed a diet consisting of 55:30:15 (percent energy from carbohydrate, fat, and protein) and the HPHD group consumed a diet consisting of 40:30:30"

Still not exactly low carb

I think it's totally insane how in the day and age we still don't know how our bodies metabolize the food we eat.

There's so much contradictory information out there it's hard to figure out what you have to eat to have your body do whatever you want it to.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sethos said:
Same here. Been on the low carb for around two months and lost almost 24lbs, great diet and I'd recommend it to anyone but this thread has turned into the Low-Carb Zealot thread. Every time someone wants to try something different there's no sensible discussion, no talking about anything or giving out any suggestions -- it's all about taking the piss and just calling doom and gloom for most of the regulars to the thread, some people need to get over that shit.

However I've started my juice diet today and obviously I'm still trying to find the golden middle-road, I'll be starting out with juice 3-4 times a day for a replacement to all meals but I'm not idiot, not going to go full monty 60 days if I feel like shit, my bowels are a mess and I start oozing green sludge out of every orifice. I'll be trying it a few days, see how I feel energy wise as well and then perhaps add a solid meal every weekend to give my body something to work with, perhaps only juice for 2 meals and then a low-carb meal, still testing out the waters.

I can report after the first two meals that surprisingly it does give you that full feeling and gives me a load of energy, however that can probably change over the next few days and all depends what vegetables and fruits I use. I just made sure I don't use too many fruits as I don't want to be on a fructose sugar buzz basically, I want the vegetable nutrients.

Hopefully I can report a solid weight loss by next week.
I recently went from a low carb to almost all carb diet for 2 weeks and for me it wasn't fun. At all.
I felt constantly drained, foggy, weak, and low energy. I'd try to pay attention to how strong you feel while you are on it.

Much much worse than going from normal diet to keto.
I ate a ton of delicious foods, but felt awful the entire time. Only times I felt good was when I ate a lot of food with some damn meat in it.

Hope you keep updated.
Notrollious said:
I really need to learn to work on my diet more. I always fall off the wagon. I do fine for a while, then I don't know, I just cave to my cravings :/
I think this is the wrong attitude. You should be looking to make small choices and have those compound instead of doing something really drastic (sans keto :p), it feels like you are shutting yourself off.
It should be easy to say no.

dejay

Banned
Notrollious said:
I really need to learn to work on my diet more. I always fall off the wagon. I do fine for a while, then I don't know, I just cave to my cravings :/

What sort of diet are you attempting? Are you trying to lower fat or lower carb intake or are you counting calories?

For me, protein sates my appetite and carbs make me hungry. I'm not doing ultra low carbs, but I generally keep my carbs between 80 and 150 a day. I eat a lot of meat, but don't eat that much fat compared to some people in this thread. I generally have a lean serving of protein for lunch and some fattier servings for breakfast and dinner, along with plenty of veggies and some fruit and either some muesli or a few slices of a low-ish GI bread during the day.

If you can't stick to a 'diet' to lose fat, you definitely won't sustain it once you do lose the fat, so it's important you can find something that works for you and that you can sustain not just for a short period, but for the rest of your life. This means finding an eating pattern that will make you feel sated for most of the day without the cravings. Generally by lowering your carb intake, you will stop insulin spikes and the corresponding cravings on the other side of those spikes.

Top Bottom