• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

hxa155

fadetoblack said:
I think that's great. Everything I might recommend is really minor.

One thing I'd definitely though is don't eat tuna too often due to the mercury content in it. May want to move to canned salmon which, frankly, tastes virtually identical.

I notice you're sticking to white meat and fish. Don't be afraid of the red stuff (unless you don't do it for cultural/religious reasons).

And lastly is that if you aren't doing it already, try to make Primal Mayo from Mark's Daily Apple which, in my estimation, is better than the vegetable oil mayo you get in the store in almost every way. You could, of course, use olive oil if you don't want to use ghee. Frankly, I love the herbaceous taste of olive oil but some disagree.

All the same, keep it up! That'll get you going. I'd also say I've found weight lifting to be beneficial. As even though the scale doesn't drop as quickly, in the long run, I will be gaining muscle which helps keep the fat off.

I just chose the chicken, cuz it's easier to get around here, I'm a uni student, so I dont have a lot of time to cook. I'll try alternating between tuna and salmon then.

Thanks a lot for the advice, 'ppreciate it.

With keto, I think you'll need more fat intake than that. Hopefully someone can chime in.

hmmm, I guess I could increase my milk portions

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
SuperAngelo64 said:
Yep, same here. My ex-wife used to always complain about it and ask that I sleep on my stomach.

My snoring went away after the first 20 lbs of weight loss.

Strange.
not strange at all. many overweight (and the majority of obese) people snore. remember that as much fat as is showing on the outside of your body, there is also a lot of fat on the inside.. surrounding your organs, inside your muscle, etc. all of that fat in your neck and face can often lead to sleep apnea (which is what most snoring is).

so look at that as a plus... losing weight actually allows you to breathe while sleeping :p

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Had a very bad weekend because I was visiting friends across the state. That is warranted though, it will happen from time to time.

Took last week off of Couch to 5K due to ankles, and this week was shortened by Labor Day, so I am going to repeat week 6.

Fireye

VALIS said:
Oh? I thought it was common knowledge that many small meals/snacks throughout the day were far more beneficial than fewer, larger ones. Maybe "keeping the metabolism going" isn't the right way to phrase it, but regardless, I've seen people swear you should eat something every 3 hours or so even if you're entirely full. Like in the massive low carb thread over at SA.

Common knowledge isn't always correct. I mean, until I became more interested in my health and diet, I thought it was common knowledge that fat helped in a large way to get you fat, and negatively impacted cholesterol.

I don't think there's a good study that's proved the idea of eating smaller more frequent meals provides a metabolic increase. Anecdotally, the big thing recently seems to be intermittent fasting, which is a 180degree turn from more frequent smaller meals.

"K: "1500 years ago everybody knew the earth was the center of the universe... 500 years ago everybody knew the world was flat... 15 minutes ago you knew that people were alone on this planet". Imagine what you`ll know tomorrow"

TheExodu5

Banned
hxa155 said:
hmmm, I guess I could increase my milk portions

I think large amounts of milk will increase too many carbs into your diet for keto. You're probably looking to add more animal fat or butter to your diet. I'm not a keto expert, so you'll have to look elsewhere, but I do know that keto implies that you should be eating a lot more fat for your body to convert into energy, otherwise you will likely feel very energy deprived. I'm not sure the exact number...maybe around 70g a day or so?

Please, keto-GAF, chime in!

Struct09

VALIS said:
Oh? I thought it was common knowledge that many small meals/snacks throughout the day were far more beneficial than fewer, larger ones. Maybe "keeping the metabolism going" isn't the right way to phrase it, but regardless, I've seen people swear you should eat something every 3 hours or so even if you're entirely full. Like in the massive low carb thread over at SA.

Meal frequency has been proven to have no measurable affect on metabolism, at least when you're comparing something like three times a day to six times. Search around for something like "meal frequency metabolic rate" and you'll find the studies.

That being said, I eat every 2-3 hours because that's how I like eating.

omgkitty

Struct09 said:
Meal frequency has been proven to have no measurable affect on metabolism, at least when you're comparing something like three times a day to six times. Search around for something like "meal frequency metabolic rate" and you'll find the studies.

Yeah I am the opposite. If I eat ever couple of hours in smaller portions, I am much more likely to snack and overeat. I'd rather just eat 1-2 small to medium meals, and one large one a day.

Struct09 said:

Yep.
And I eat 4 meals a day at specific times. I don't pay attention to "hunger" because in reality, I just like to eat. The 4 specific times means I don't have to listen to my mind/body (it will sabotage me) and instead I listen to the clock.
We do what works best for us.

VALIS said:

Crappy. Need to register an account to read this now.

ipukespiders said:
Yep.
And I eat 4 meals a day at specific times. I don't pay attention to "hunger" because in reality, I just like to eat. The 4 specific times means I don't have to listen to my mind/body (it will sabotage me) and instead I listen to the clock.

Why eat if you're not hungry?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
TheExodu5 said:
I think large amounts of milk will increase too many carbs into your diet for keto. You're probably looking to add more animal fat or butter to your diet. I'm not a keto expert, so you'll have to look elsewhere, but I do know that keto implies that you should be eating a lot more fat for your body to convert into energy, otherwise you will likely feel very energy deprived. I'm not sure the exact number...maybe around 70g a day or so?

Please, keto-GAF, chime in!

Correct. Don't increase the milk content because that'll increase sugar/carb intake and ditch the mayo unless you make your own. Even the most organic mayo at Whole Foods will contain vegetable oil as the first or second ingredient.

TheExodu5

Banned
I see no reason to eat if you're not hungry. If I don't feel hungry, I'll take advantage of it and eat less. It's my body telling me it doesn't need nutrition at the moment, and I'll only be stalling my weight loss if I eat for no reason.

infiniteloop said:

You got it in reverse.
I'm always "hungry"
That's why I said I don't listen to my mind/body, I'll eat non stop.

Zefah said:
What was confusing about his question? I never eat unless I feel hungry.

Works for you, but that is exactly what I don't do.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ipukespiders said:
You got it in reverse.
I'm always "hungry"
That's why I said I don't listen to my mind/body, I'll eat non stop.

Works for you, but that is exactly what I don't do.

Well if you're always hungry, then I imagine a set schedule would work well for you.

I only eat when I actually feel hungry, and I imagine most people should do the same assuming they have a functioning satiety mechanism.

Zefah said:
Well if you're always hungry, then I imagine a set schedule would work well for you.

I only eat when I actually feel hungry, and I imagine most people should do the same assuming they have a functioning satiety mechanism.

Well, I put the "hungry" in quotes like that cause of hunger vs "I just wanna eat!!".

I'm broken it seems - hence the solution.

ipukespiders said:
Yep.

Crappy. Need to register an account to read this now.
only temporary - they do this every few weeks, it'll be readable for non goons soon enough.

ipukespiders said:
Well, I put the "hungry" in quotes like that cause of hunger vs "I just wanna eat!!".

I'm broken it seems - hence the solution.

I'm like that too. There are plenty of times where I am not really hungry, I just want to eat.

It is more annoying than anything haha.

Schlep

Disgaea 4 and its opening scenes detailing the benefits of sardines, omega 3, and burning more fat made me think of this thread.

What's everyone's opinion on breakfast? It's really hard for me to eat in the morning but I know people say it's bad to skip meals, but is there anything suggestions on something small?

And is it honestly bad if I can't eat until about noon, despite being up at 6:30 in the morning?

omgkitty

Dr. Feel Good said:
What's everyone's opinion on breakfast? It's really hard for me to eat in the morning but I know people say it's bad to skip meals, but is there anything suggestions on something small?

And is it honestly bad if I can't eat until about noon, despite being up at 6:30 in the morning?

Sometimes I cook a bunch of bacon one night for a whole week and then buy packages of hard boiled eggs and then in the morning I eat two hard boiled eggs and 2 pieces of bacon. It takes about 20 secs to heat up the bacon and that's it.

Akim said:
it doesn't matter when you eat

I feel like general consensus on good diet/health is to not skip meals, no?

The bacon/eggs doesn't seem bad, although I question whether I can eat cold hardboiled eggs that early in the morning.

Shaneus

Dr. Feel Good said:

The bacon/eggs doesn't seem bad, although I question whether I can eat cold hardboiled eggs that early in the morning.
Sometimes, but then there's the intermittent fasting school of thought. I haven't looked into it, but there seems to be a solid basis for that way of thinking, too.

Akim

Banned
Dr. Feel Good said:

it doesn't matter when you eat

ch0mp

Dr. Feel Good said:

It doesn't matter when you eat, as long as you're eating enough.

Alright, question for those of you who have lost a significant amount of weight in a relatively short amount of time. I went from 6'1 315lbs last summer, to 230lbs in about 8 months (which im at still to this day about 12 months in total) just through portion control, eating right, and biking roughly 15km a day like 5 times a week. I feel amazing, my cardio is great and I look great.

My problem, is that I still have man boobs and love handles (the gut isnt even that bad which is odd). My legs have always been muscular (from carrying around the weight), but they have shrunk from their tree trunk size and are now really toned which is great, but im getting tired of nothing changing in my upper body. Obviously this is because biking isnt going to help tone that, but 2 questions for you guys:

1) Is the excess weight that I am carrying simply just all fat, or could it be a combo of that and loose skin? I ask because I have plateaued in my weight loss where no matter how strict and careful I am with the diet, I cant get below 230 no matter what I do. I dont care about the numbers anymore, but i find it odd and im wondering if this is normal.

2) I'm looking for some tips on best ways to tone my abs/love handles/moobs now and I'm hoping you guys can give me some pointers on what to be doing to maximize the results. I honestly had never been able to do a chin up before in my life, but have recently started so I'm thinking pull ups, wide spread push-ups, sit-ups/crunches, but that's really all I've got as an idea. Is there programs geared to toward what I'm looking for? And I'm not really worried about bulking up at all, i just want to tone the loose skin that i do have, as it seems to still be holding me back confidence wise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I have to say I love these threads as its great hearing about everyone's success's

Thanks guys!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Congrats on the amazing progress, but 6'1" 230lbs is still fairly overweight.

I was 5'11" 225lbs at peak before feeling completely disgusted with myself and changing my lifestyle.

1) You're going to have to lose a lot more weight if you want to get rid of those love handles and moobs.

2) There's no such thing as toning. It's all body fat %, which means you need a combination of losing fat and increasing muscle. It's almost certainly not loose skin that you have, it's fat.

What's your diet like?

Well that was refreshing to hear someone put it bluntly!

Breakfast
Yogurt with Bran mixed in

Lunch
Salad with tons of veggies and chicken/turkey

Snack
Usually a granola bar and an apple or some type of in season fruit.

Supper
Tuna on Wasa Bread, Turkey Chili, BBQ chicken (without the sauce).

Bunch of options, but all focus around limiting crabs and getting protein and veggies. I dont use salt at all, cut the pop and junk food, and I do have protein shakes after I work out.

alphaNoid

Banned
I recently started up my regime again. I'm currently 6'4 218lbs, but probably 20lbs of that being straight fat. Most of my fat goes right to my face and back so I need to trim and bulk a bit. I got married and had a kid so yea, back fat lol.

Going to cut and do high cardio for the next 2 months, then slow down to balance things out. I did this in January and lost 31lbs (31 hard lbs) in 45 days but fell off the bandwagon. This time I'm not on a time frame, just going to cut the excess fat and then start lifting again. Probably start P90X again at the 3 month phase.

Also recently got on a Propecia+Rogaine cocktail as well, but thats for another thread. Getting life back in my control feels so refreshing. Gone are the days of eating like a pig and feeling/looking like one.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
[KoRp]Jazzman said:
Well that was refreshing to hear someone put it bluntly!

Breakfast
Yogurt with Bran mixed in

Lunch
Salad with tons of veggies and chicken/turkey

Snack
Usually a granola bar and an apple or some type of in season fruit.

Supper
Tuna on Wasa Bread, Turkey Chili, BBQ chicken (without the sauce).

Bunch of options, but all focus around limiting crabs and getting protein and veggies. I dont use salt at all, cut the pop and junk food, and I do have protein shakes after I work out.

You'll probably get a lot of different information from various people, but I have found a ton of success limiting grain consumption (including completely eliminating all wheat consumption) along with severely limiting sugar consumption.

If you do this and focus on eating mostly whole foods, I think you'll find that your body naturally sheds the extra pounds. I've gone from 225lbs in February to 162lbs as of today, while putting on a lot of muscle through simply resistance training, and I don't plan on stopping until I've got a well-defined six-pack.

Finally, I'd recommend checking out the following books when you have time (in order of importance):

The Primal Blueprint
Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It
Wheat Belly

There's a ton more excellent literature and information out there, but these three books in particular have done a great deal in getting me on the right track over the past few months.

Zefah said:
I've gone from 225lbs in February to 162lbs as of today, while putting on a lot of muscle through simply resistance training, and I don't plan on stopping until I've got a well-defined six-pack.

Great job!
(great advice too)

[KoRp]Jazzman said:

Most people eat a lot of processed food, and don't need to add salt to their food.
I absolutely do add salt to my food. I use a "half salt" sodium/potassium blend. I recommend you do as well.
Salt is good for you, and a low carb diet could have you low of sodium.

(sorry, double post)

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
VALIS said:
Non-SA link to the OP of that thread, which contains 95% of the useful information anyway: http://nuclearfuzzgrunge.com/tlcm/

There's something I've been confused about from that thread: it says that if triglyceride levels are above 88mg/dl AFTER eating, heart attack risk is doubled. Doesn't that sort of go against the low-carb/high-fat lifestyle?

We've heard from Taubes, Naughton, and genetics that animal fat is good for us and should be eaten in larger quantities than is currently recommended, but then to turn around and say that triglyceride levels after eating become so high that they pose a risk for heart attacks, then...what the fuck?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Dr. Feel Good said:

No. You decide when to eat food, don't let the food decide that for you.

If you're one of those folks who decides to skip breakfast, but pick up a caramel frappuccino with a large donut as a quickie before heading to work/school, then yes, skipping breakfast would be a bad idea.

If you skip breakfast simply because you don't wish to eat anything after you wake up (like me) and your first meal of the day is your regularly scheduled lunch, then skipping breakfast is one of the best things you can do. Here's some great material from Martin Berkhan on breakfast skipping and other meal frequency/general dieting myths:

http://fitnessblackbook.com/diet-tips/martin-berkhan-scorch-through-your-fat-loss-plateau/

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

low-G

infiniteloop said:

For me hunger is a weird sliding scale. Now that I'm trying to eat better I could probably restrict myself to the point of bad muscle loss.

Chorazin

VALIS said:
Non-SA link to the OP of that thread, which contains 95% of the useful information anyway: http://nuclearfuzzgrunge.com/tlcm/

Thanks for the link. My GF wanted to do low carb, so I figured I'd drop my Weight Watchers and do it with her. Hopefully this will help me shed faster, although my 26lb loss over the past three months is nothing to sneeze at.

Tons of helpful info in that!

So I'm trying to go on a diet for the first time ever to help with losing a few extra pounds. I've been looking at some of the Primal Blueprint stuff on Mark's Daily Apple, and there are some good examples of things to eat for various meals. I was wondering though if anybody could post what their daily meal plan looks like or what I should be eating every day? Going to the grocery store on Friday to try and buy healthy food for the first time in my life, so any help would be appreciated.

Ripclawe

Banned
lets talk snacks, not just fruits or nuts but sweet things that you can eat thru out the day. I can only snack on sliced apples, bananas or almonds for so long.

Ripclawe said:
lets talk snacks, not just fruits or nuts but sweet things that you can eat thru out the day. I can only snack on sliced apples, bananas or almonds for so long.

Sweet things?
Snacks?
Uhhhh....
Don't think that works too well.

A Dog Chasing Cars said:
So I'm trying to go on a diet for the first time ever to help with losing a few extra pounds. I've been looking at some of the Primal Blueprint stuff on Mark's Daily Apple, and there are some good examples of things to eat for various meals. I was wondering though if anybody could post what their daily meal plan looks like or what I should be eating every day? Going to the grocery store on Friday to try and buy healthy food for the first time in my life, so any help would be appreciated.

Here is an example day:

Breakfast
1 cup cottage cheese with blueberries added (I also add 30 grams of oats)
2 cheese strings (they're so cool!)

Lunch
3/4 lb of ground beef, fried (lard), with chopped bell pepper, half an onion, and some celery

Supper
4 breakfast sausages
2 fried eggs (lard)
1 tomato

Final meal
3 boiled eggs
2 table spoons of peanut butter (natural) or some nuts.

I salt all my fried foods and my boiled eggs.

NomarTyme

Ripclawe said:
Sweet potatoes + butter.

Xelinis

ipukespiders said:
Here is an example day:

Breakfast
1 cup cottage cheese with blueberries added (I also add 30 grams of oats)
2 cheese strings (they're so cool!)

Lunch
3/4 lb of ground beef, fried (lard), with chopped bell pepper, half an onion, and some celery

Supper
4 breakfast sausages
2 fried eggs (lard)
1 tomato

Final meal
3 boiled eggs
2 table spoons of peanut butter (natural) or some nuts.

I salt all my fried foods and my boiled eggs.

In regards to the lard, only if you're going to make it yourself or get it from a organic and reliable source. Most of the lard sold in stores nowadays is partially-hydrogenated. :-/

If you can't, I strongly recommend ghee instead.

Top Bottom