• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

still at 240.. my diet of Special K Skim Plus breakfast, chicken cutlets and brocolli for dinner and a mix of snacks in between isn't working.. i don't know what to add or remove =\

_Isaac

mercenar1e said:
still at 240.. my diet of Special K Skim Plus breakfast, chicken cutlets and brocolli for dinner and a mix of snacks in between isn't working.. i don't know what to add or remove =\
How long has it been?

_Isaac said:
How long has it been?

i started the weight loss plan last summer.. i was 275 then but i stopped losing weight 3 months ago, im clueless when it comes to cooking or figuring out what to add and remove

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
nickcv said:
are red/sweet potatoes better?
how do they get compared to other carbs?

is it something like:

pasta > sweet potato > white bread > potato ?

I'm not exactly sure what each item's glycemic index is, but I would definitely prefer a sweet potato to any kind of pasta.

timnich said:
All this talk of low carb dieting has me reconsidering my weight loss plan. I spoke to my doctor about losing this extra 20 pounds I've gained over the last few years, and she told me since I'm a young guy who is not obese (I'm 190lb and 6'1) to just exercise regularly and just make healthy food choices, and to not worry about any serious dieting. I've completely cut all junk out, only drink water (also half a cup of black coffee for breakfast), lowered my sugar and salt intake and in general just try to eat "healthy". I'm also going to the gym and do 1 hour of cardio a day, 5-6 days a week. I'm only 3 weeks in and have lost 6-7 of the 20 pounds I wanted to lose.

My question is, should I consider a low carb diet? My goal isnt just to lose weight, it's to lose weight and to stay fit and healthy. I'm pretty happy with my results so far, but it bugs me to know there is a more efficient method out there lol.

I definitely think you should consider a low carb diet. More specifically, a diet that cuts out grains and sugars. Also, 1 hour of cardio per day 5-6 times a week sounds insane to me, unless you're talking about light cardio--like taking a walk outside, or something.

It's all about finding what's sustainable to you. I couldn't imagine myself doing an hour of intense cardio every day for a month, much less the rest of my life. Find a diet and lifestyle that you can see yourself sticking to forever, without having to make much effort.

mercenar1e said:

Special K and skim milk certainly aren't helping you in the slightest. No idea what the snacks are, but the chicken and broccoli sounds good. Eat lots more meats and veggies instead of sugar grains and sugar milk.

Bazhard

Banned
I need to lose weight, 240 @ 5'7 but am completely retarded to when it comes to what to eat and what to avoid eating.

I used to weigh around 260 2 months ago and completely cut out soda and started walking, just need to find a stable diet and WOW @ the people in here congrats to all you who are shredding that f'n weight and im not patronizing i really mean it, gonna have to talk to a few of you in PM or something and jack bauer force you to give me your secrets.

but seriously anyone who knows some good sites to how i can create a meal plan or something i would greatly appreciate it, working out at the moment isn't exactly in the menu since my sarcoidosis flared up this month. I can still walk, not as much because its all in my lungs but enough.

and @zat, congrats on dropping the 60+ pounds :O

zatara

RoninChaos said:
Congrats, man. I'm on the atkins as well. Lost a little under 20 pounds, but I keep see-sawing. I'm just going to give it time. I'm still only doing 2-3 meals a day though. I need to try and get it to 4.

You don't snack at all besides that protein bar? How many carbs a day are you doing?

On a good day, less than 20 carbs.

zatara

Bazhard said:
I need to lose weight, 240 @ 5'7 but am completely retarded to when it comes to what to eat and what to avoid eating.

I used to weigh around 260 2 months ago and completely cut out soda and started walking, just need to find a stable diet and WOW @ the people in here congrats to all you who are shredding that f'n weight and im not patronizing i really mean it, gonna have to talk to a few of you in PM or something and jack bauer force you to give me your secrets.

but seriously anyone who knows some good sites to how i can create a meal plan or something i would greatly appreciate it, working out at the moment isn't exactly in the menu since my sarcoidosis flared up this month. I can still walk, not as much because its all in my lungs but enough.

My wife went on this diet with me at the same time, she does absolutely no exercise as well. She has lost 65lbs in the same amount of time. She just cut down her carbs and sugars, and eats more small meals during the day like I have.

LosDaddie

Banned
Hit 25 lbs lost today! :)

I was kinda worried because I didn't seem to lose any weight last week. But I guess I am keeping pace, losing ~1 lb a week, which is fine because I'm also exercising/lifting weights.

My clothes are either loose, or fitting me again. :lol My strength is really starting to come back. And my energy level is great. Love it!

Going to lose about 10 lbs more before I go on a "maintain" diet & exercise routine.

OG Kush said:
Exercise doesn't make you lose weight? What is this bullshit I'm reading here?

Bullshit indeed.

ch0mp said:
Strenuous exercise makes you hungry.

which isn't a bad thing.

ch0mp said:
Probably the most important thing I learned. I was cycling 8-12 hours/week with a deficit and not having any success, while never having any energy and being seriously hungry.

Sounds to me like your diet was either completely wrong, or you weren't eating nearly enough. Not that working-out was wrong for you, or anybody.

timnich said:
I'm also going to the gym and do 1 hour of cardio a day, 5-6 days a week. I'm only 3 weeks in and have lost 6-7 of the 20 pounds I wanted to lose. .

You are doing fine. Losing 7 lbs in 3wks is great, especially since you're also working out. But I would cut the cardio down to 30min and start lifting weights for the other 30min. I also helps, greatly, if you can find a sport (basketball, racquetball, etc) to switch up the cardio once (or twice) a week. Swimming is excellent, too.

timnich

LosDaddie said:
You are doing fine. Losing 7 lbs in 3wks is great, especially since you're also working out. But I would cut the cardio down to 30min and start lifting weights for the other 30min. I also helps, greatly, if you can find a sport (basketball, racquetball, etc) to switch up the cardio once (or twice) a week. Swimming is excellent, too.
That's a relief to hear. I haven't checked my weight in a couple of days, and it turns out I'm actually at 9 lbs lost. I know that weight fluctuates up and down naturally, but seeing a constant improvement like that motivates me like crazy. That fact that I now have to wear a belt to keep my pants up is a nice feeling too.

I'll take your advice on lifting weights. It's been a while since I've been into weight lifting, but I'm eager to get back into it. As for sports, I get at least an hour in every week, usually basketball or hockey.

Chorazin

Bazhard said:

Uh, what? 20 lbs in two months is awesome weight loss, whatever you're doing now seems to be working great!

I'm down 38 in 5 months, I'd kill to lose 10 a month!

Tadale

noire said:
Easiest changes:

Sub out your potatoes for a salad or steamed veggies.
Ditch half of (or all) of your bun.
Walking is great for you.

I think this is probably the way to go for me. Potatoes are my favorite food by far, and it'll be difficult to break that habit, but I'm sure I can manage.

harSon

Banned
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel:
wYCPk.png

This is the heaviest picture of me I've been able to come across, it's from a little over a year ago and I'm a bit into my diet, so I'm something like 320-330 in the picture. I'm now 200.5 pounds at 6'2" and I've started weight training. I'm probably going to try and plateau at a muscular 180ish pounds.

I've dropped down from 351 pounds roughly 20-21 months ago for a total loss of 150 pounds. I dropped from a 4XL and 48inch waist to a Large shirt and a 36inch waist.

Question weight loss GAF...

Can you recommend some good low carb foods. I'm thinking of hitting a low carb diet to shed the last 15lbs to hit my optimal weight.

harSon

Banned
Speedymanic said:
Question weight loss GAF...

Can you recommend some good low carb foods. I'm thinking of hitting a low carb diet to shed the last 15lbs to hit my optimal weight.

Do you mean recipes or specific foods you can eat on a low-carb diet?

Eric WK said:
Fucking awesome work harSon.

Thanks man!

harSon said:
Do you mean recipes or specific foods you can eat on a low-carb diet?

Specific foods, I can work out recipes from there but I just need some advice on good low carb food.

And great work man, really well done. I hope to be in a position where I can post some before and pics soon.

Man

I've gone down 15Kg (33lbs) since the middle of July (5.5 tall, weighed 210 at onset...).
You get into a program, time passes and suddenly you start realizing the achievement. Feels good.
Just keeping below a certain calorie amount each day. On average less than one jogging trip per week. 12Kg(~26lbs) to go before ideal weight. Just started training some muscle.

nickcv

harSon said:
wYCPk.png

This is the heaviest picture of me I've been able to come across, it's from a little over a year ago and I'm a bit into my diet, so I'm something like 320-330 in the picture. I'm now 200.5 pounds at 6'2" and I've started weight training. I'm probably going to try and plateau at a muscular 180ish pounds.

I've dropped down from 351 pounds roughly 20-21 months ago for a total loss of 150 pounds. I dropped from a 4XL and 48inch waist to a Large shirt and a 36inch waist.

really great job man!

just to know how do you guys take precise measurements?
i feel like i never hit the exact same spot

harSon said:
wYCPk.png

Good shit, man. How'd you do it?

zatara

harSon said:
wYCPk.png

Dude thats awesome. I hope I can lose as much as you have. It is an amazing feeling seeing yourself getting into smaller and smaller clothes.

One question though, did you have to deal with a lot of dead skin after you lost all the weight? Thats probably the only thing I'm worried about. My overall goal is to lose 120 lbs and I'm halfway there and I don't want to look nasty with a bunch of dead skin.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, update and a question. As I posted a few pages back I did Couch to 5k and 4 weeks of P90X so far and can notice a visual change from April this year to now (pics below), and I thought I had lost weight due to loose pants and tighter belts. Thing is, I weighed myself tonight for the first time since April and I weigh the exact same, 227 lbs (at 6'),

Would I have most likely just changed fat into muscle from 7 weeks of distance running and 4 of P90X? A few months ago I weighed myself at work and it said 237, I assumed it was wrong because I could tell I looked better, but do you put on weight when first starting distance running?

I look better, my pants fit loose, and my belt has decreased a spot, but I weigh the same. Odd. Last year when I did P90x I lost 20 lbs...

Pics again:
186240_16908535_5921660_n.jpg

After:
CJ%252520color.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, good job to everyone in here. I hit nearly 250 pounds in 2007 after some crazy personal shit went down. I peaked in height at age 14 (6'2'') and for the next 10 years or so I never went over 170 pounds. I was a rail. Then I crept up to 180, and after the personal things happened and I quit smoking, I packed on about 70 pounds in a really unhealthy amount of time.

I don't have pictures, but I'm down to about 185ish now. Pretty average for a guy who is 6'2 I suppose.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fat doesn't change in to muscle.

You may have put on more muscle than you lost fat, though, and since an equivalent amount of muscle mass weighs more, that would explain the weight gain.

Grinchy said:
Damn, good job to everyone in here. I hit nearly 250 pounds in 2007 after some crazy personal shit went down. I peaked in height at age 14 (6'2'') and for the next 10 years or so I never went over 170 pounds. I was a rail. Then I crept up to 180, and after the personal things happened and I quit smoking, I packed on about 70 pounds in a really unhealthy amount of time.

I don't have pictures, but I'm down to about 185ish now. Pretty average for a guy who is 6'2 I suppose.

Yeah, and you ain't a bad builder, either.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Zefah said:
Fat doesn't change in to muscle.

You may have put on more muscle than you lost fat, though, and since an equivalent amount of muscle mass weighs more, that would explain the weight gain.
Yeah, it's just odd. I weigh exactly the same yet can tell easily that I have lost fat around my face and waist. Maybe the running and P90x put on enough muscle to counter the fat loss.

Anyone have any great slow cooker recipes? I have two big pork loins and a big slab of beef ready to cook, but need a delicious pulled pork recipe!

Also, has anyone picked up Marc Sisson's new book? Worth it if I already have the Primal Blueprint?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
hsukardi said:
It'd be way more useful if we had an OP that stacked information... or something. Good info shared mid-thread just get lost

This thread was started a LONG time ago to share stories of weight loss man, it has skyrocketed into the end all-be all thread for it with people helping others and the like and it is remarkable, but by the time it would be time to do anything for this thread it was WAY too massive and on top of that I actually prefer the constant discussion with new people on their own roads (it is a hard road, active discussion is better than a wall of resources)

(Edit: Moreso; the thread title itself discusses how its a discussion / sharing thread not a resource or official topic thread bro)

hsukardi

lsslave said:
This thread was started a LONG time ago to share stories of weight loss man, it has skyrocketed into the end all-be all thread for it with people helping others and the like and it is remarkable, but by the time it would be time to do anything for this thread it was WAY too massive and on top of that I actually prefer the constant discussion with new people on their own roads (it is a hard road, active discussion is better than a wall of resources)

(Edit: Moreso; the thread title itself discusses how its a discussion / sharing thread not a resource or official topic thread bro)

False dichotomy, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

I haven't posted much lately, but found some photos from almost exactly one year ago and wanted to post.

before-after.jpg

Before was November of 2010. After was yesterday. A full body shot is even more dramatic, but don't have any handy.

I went paleo (with the help of podcasts and this thread) in February and had lost 20 pounds within a month. Since then I've stayed strict, only adding in some occasional things to my diet and seeing how my body reacts along the way.

Off blood pressure meds (was on a tiny beta blocker before as between anxiety and health my blood pressure was getting a little high) and I've _never_ been healthier. In total, I've lost 50 pounds according to my doctor and am down to 145, which I never expected to see again. I'm 5'8", so I'm pretty lean at this point and down to buying 30" pants.

All of this without an inkling of exercise, by the way. I'm now going to work on building some muscle, and am starting with doing some physical therapy on my rotator cuff, which I screwed up somewhere along the way when I was attempting to work out to lose some weight. Once that's squared away, I'll just be doing some work to turns myself from skinnyfat into skinnymuscles.

B-Ri

I cant help but read all your guys success stories, and your tips on eating and everything, but it confuses the holy hell out of me.

Why? I am currently taking a nutrition class, and according to what I am learning so far, a lot of the tips being given out here advocate large ingest of protein (which you end up sweating and secreting out of you body daily because it cant handle, want, or can use all the protein ingested.) and a very very low level of carbohydrates that your body requires for just brain functions. I am being taught my carbs should be 65% of my daily diet, protein 25% if that.

I cant help but be so confused in this world of nutrition and fitness.

Log4Girlz

I'm up to 15 pounds lost! :D Its a little slow going but I'm patient. I think I can easily attain my goal in a year (shoot and probably a lot sooner), which has always been the time frame. YES!

B-Ri said:
I cant help but read all your guys success stories, and your tips on eating and everything, but it confuses the holy hell out of me.

Why? I am currently taking a nutrition class, and according to what I am learning so far, a lot of the tips being given out here advocate large ingest of protein (which you end up sweating and secreting out of you body daily because it cant handle, want, or can use all the protein ingested.) and a very very low level of carbohydrates that your body requires for just brain functions. I am being taught my carbs should be 65% of my daily diet, protein 25% if that.

Watch fathead and that video linked a few posts above.

Insaniac

Speedymanic said:
Specific foods, I can work out recipes from there but I just need some advice on good low carb food.

And great work man, really well done. I hope to be in a position where I can post some before and pics soon.

well the obvious proteins and veggies are generally low carb. Google low carb fruits if you want some fruits.

Some of my personal faves are a simple dinner of lightly salted wild salmon and steamed broccoli. Celery and peanut better isn't too bad as long as you don't go all out on the peanutbutter. Almonds are great and healthy too. If you have a sweet tooth you can try to sate it with a sugar free jello but as with all sugar substitutes don't overdo it.

ooh lean unprocessed turkey is good too!

B-Ri said:

Okay I can't say that everything i say is true but I would wager that due to the increased weight training you need an increase in protein intake, but also when you decrease your carb intake it forces your body to draw the thing it needs from its storage ie fat and what not.

Log4Girlz

I've been starting to lose weight a little faster since I cut out diet sodas and crystal light. Fat is so much more satisfying that on certain days I'm eating WAY less than I would normally.

Bealost

B-Ri said:

I'm not sure about anything, all the stuff I "know" is just gleaned from hours and hours of intrawebs research.

My understanding is this. The goal, most of the time anyways, isn't really a reduction in scale weight. The goal is usually a reduction in body fat. The reason that people suggest super high protein intake (upwards of 1+ g/lb of lean body mass) is to help preserve your lean body mass while eating at a caloric deficit. It is also usually assumed they you are doing some rigorous weightlifting during your "cut" and I've read that stressing your muscles causes your body to be exceptionally able to use the extra protein.

Saying that 65% of your calories should come from carbs is pretty outdated I think. The most recent consensus is that it should be significantly less.

I learned to SCUBA dive when I was about 12. And something the instructor told me has stuck with me throughout the years. He said that if there was a discrepancy between what he said, and what the textbook said we should lean towards believing him because his information was more up to date than the aging textbook. That was my first push in the direction of critical thinking, and I'm thankful for it.

I'd look at the date on the textbook from your class, and do some research on the authors, you may be surprised at what you find. Information evolves so quickly now but the gap between scientific knowledge and it reaching students is probably still VERY wide.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
B-Ri said:

Nutrition science of today isn't a real science. It doesn't follow this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

Because if it followed that method, it would be required to reject the idea that saturated fats are unhealthy because there is conflicting data all over the place, and not any data to really form the original hypothesis in the first place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat_and_cardiovascular_disease_controversy#Summary_table

As for the idea that the body cannot handle protein in high amounts and carbohydrate in small amounts for extended periods of time, you would have to ignore all of history of early man. Migration patterns, fossil records, analysis of their teeth indicating that they ate nearly entirely meat in certain regions (European ice age, northern North America, etc). To me rejecting this is the same as young earth creationism.

The brain runs optimally on glucose, but it can take ketones for long periods of time.

You get ketones from burning fat, so regardless of your weight loss method you'll have plenty for your brain and heart.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketone_bodies

Why is it that red wine is okay? I have a bottle ready to go, but I'd like to know the reasons why people like Tim Ferriss and Marc Sisson say it's alright while you are low-carb.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
B-Ri said:

It's bullshit. Your brain doesn't need carbohydrates to operate. Otherwise, certain societies would not exist.

Carbs are fine, though, as long as you don't get them from grains, sugar, or otherwise nutritionally-devoid starchy foods

I took a nutrition class back in college, too, and the obese professor taught the conventional wisdom of low-fat/high-carb diets.

ZackieChan said:
Why is it that red wine is okay? I have a bottle ready to go, but I'd like to know the reasons why people like Tim Ferriss and Marc Sisson say it's alright while you are low-carb.

Red wine is pretty low in carbohydrate as long as you don't drink a ton of it.

Top Bottom