• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

There's this like 450lb guy at my gym who I always see doing his lifts. Today he was talking to a trainer and he was explaining how he did the bike for two hours, weights for an hour, then two more hours on the bike. The trainer suggested he do 30 minutes of hiit after this!

After she left (after he scheduled a training session) I tried talking to him but he wouldnt listen to me about not having to do cardio and just cleaning up your diet. I dont get pissed at shit people do at the gym but the trainer fucking this guy up was infuriating.

... I tried talking to him but he wouldnt listen to me about not having to do cardio and just cleaning up your diet. I dont get pissed at shit people do at the gym but the trainer fucking this guy up was infuriating.

It's maddening, but unless people see credentials, they don't listen to "regular" folk.
Next time rip off your shirt, Hogan style to get his attention. "Listen Brother, I'll tell you how to loose that flab" Then put him in a headlock.

Zoe

There's this like 450lb guy at my gym who I always see doing his lifts. Today he was talking to a trainer and he was explaining how he did the bike for two hours, weights for an hour, then two more hours on the bike. The trainer suggested he do 30 minutes of hiit after this!

After she left (after he scheduled a training session) I tried talking to him but he wouldnt listen to me about not having to do cardio and just cleaning up your diet. I dont get pissed at shit people do at the gym but the trainer fucking this guy up was infuriating.

Did he say that he didn't clean up his diet?

ch0mp

Been having an average few weeks.. gained a bit - not a whole lot but it's frustrating. Really needed some inspiration and I just saw this today.

sigh...I hate to have to admit defeat, but here I am again. I've been battling my weight for the last decade, and everytime I start to make some good progress I screw it up and relapse. Got down to 185 lb., but then I decided to have a cheat day and, well, it was all over after that. Now after a month of eating a tremendous amount of junk, I'm back to nearly 200 lb, and, of course, feeling terrible about myself.

What is the key to sticking to a weight loss plan until the final goal is reached? I can only seem to make it to 5 months before going absolutely insane from the food deprivations.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
sigh...I hate to have to admit defeat, but here I am again. I've been battling my weight for the last decade, and everytime I start to make some good progress I screw it up and relapse. Got down to 185 lb., but then I decided to have a cheat day and, well, it was all over after that. Now after a month of eating a tremendous amount of junk, I'm back to nearly 200 lb, and, of course, feeling terrible about myself.

What is the key to sticking to a weight loss plan until the final goal is reached? I can only seem to make it to 5 months before going absolutely insane from the food deprivations.

Until you accept that whatever you do has to be a permanent life style change, and that you can never go back to eating garbage unless you want to relapse, you will not succeed.

Don't set any goals. You can't look at it as a short-term or temporary thing. Find a way that you can enjoy eating without eating garbage. Identify what foods allow you to do that. Then just adapt to that lifestyle.

Just popped some sausage, peppers, eggs,cheese, and milk into the crockpot. Hopefully this is delicious in the morning! I think this could be my new breakfast solution.

Vaku

pretty inspiring thread guys..

I've always been the average/large type and just accepted that's how I would always be, but last year I shot up from 85kg to 94kg and this was enough for me to realize things had to change.

A year later I am down to 74kg (44 pound? drop) and much, much more comfortable.

Just simply eating smarter / checking weight daily / smaller portions / watching calories (at first, after a while you stop counting) and maintain < 1500 per day.

SeanR1221

Changed up my workout. Things were getting stale, so here's what I'm doing now.

Monday and Wednesday I run 4.5 for 5 minutes, 6.0 for 25 minutes and 5.0 for 10 minutes. I'll slowly increase this and incorporate core training after the run once I get used to it.

Thursday will be chest/tri day, Saturday leg/shoulder and Sunday back/bi. About 7 different lifts each day with 5 min on the elliptical pre and post lifting.

Let's see how this goes.

Changed up my workout. Things were getting stale, so here's what I'm doing now.

Monday and Wednesday I run 4.5 for 5 minutes, 6.0 for 25 minutes and 5.0 for 10 minutes. I'll slowly increase this and incorporate core training after the run once I get used to it.

Thursday will be chest/tri day, Saturday leg/shoulder and Sunday back/bi. About 7 different lifts each day with 5 min on the elliptical pre and post lifting.

Let's see how this goes.

You don't need 7 lifts each day, try trimming the fat or if you're a beginner find a proven routine.

SeanR1221

I used to do a 5 day split, so this is trimming down for me. This isn't my first rodeo ;)

Chest/tri day is bench, incline bench, decline bench, tri pull down, dips and skull crushers.

Leg/shoulder is squats, leg curls, calf raises, shoulder shrugs, shoulder press, and side shoulder lifts.

Back/bi day is lat pull down, back extensions, bent over row, hammer curl, preacher curl, standing bicep curl, reverse flys.

Carnby

What is the best approach to losing weight with a tredmill? At the moment I am doing 5 minutes at 4.0, then a straight 30 minutes at 5.0, and finished with a cool down that decreases every minute.

Should I mix it up more?

Dany

Banned
What is the best approach to losing weight with a tredmill? At the moment I am doing 5 minutes at 4.0, then a straight 30 minutes at 5.0, and finished with a cool down that decreases every minute.

Should I mix it up more?

I did 5 times a day at least for 30 minutes 'running' them some uphill for 15 afterwards then I used the bike to cool down. That worked for me, lost 70lbs this year :)

Also, I've gone through a LOT of clothing changes this year. I'm a small and a 29x34 but no stores have those sizes. Is it really that obscure?

Zoe

Should I mix it up more?

Try doing a program if the treadmill has them. I like doing the heart rate program on ellipticals cause it never ends up being the same thing.

SeanR1221

Should I mix it up more?

Sounds like a really solid start. Maybe every week increase your speed a little.

Also, don't over eat because you burned all those calories from running :)

Good luck!

I did 5 times a day at least for 30 minutes 'running' them some uphill for 15 afterwards then I used the bike to cool down. That worked for me, lost 70lbs this year :)

Also, I've gone through a LOT of clothing changes this year. I'm a small and a 29x34 but no stores have those sizes. Is it really that obscure?

Yep. I end up using a loose fitting 30x34 just because these non fatass sizes are hard to find.

Bealost

Looks like a lot of crap.

/agree

On the other hand, I've managed to get my homemade protein bars down to 310Cal with 21g Protein.

Makes 8 bars:
1.5c OATZ
5s whey protein
1/3c dry roasted/lightly salted peanuts
1/3c Dried Cranberries
1/3c All Natural Peanut butter
1/4c Raw Honey
1/4c Dark Chocolate

What do you guys think?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
/agree

On the other hand, I've managed to get my homemade protein bars down to 310Cal with 21g Protein.

Makes 8 bars:
1.5c OATZ
5s whey protein
1/3c dry roasted/lightly salted peanuts
1/3c Dried Cranberries
1/3c All Natural Peanut butter
1/4c Raw Honey
1/4c Dark Chocolate

What do you guys think?

Should call them carbohydrate bars since they are higher in carbs than protein.
Just calling it what it is.
Now if you said, "what do you think of my carb bars?"
I would say, yep, thems carb bars alright.

entremet

Here's a good case study for those obsessing over the scale. Dude lost a grand total of 12 lbs, but underwent an amazing transformation. Don't obsess over the scale, guys, especially if you're doing resistance work.

http://www.beingprimal.com/paleo-case-study-change-or-die

December-9th-Comparison5.png

Bealost

So the guy lost 21 lbs of fat and put on 8 lbs of muscle over the course of a year? While a nice story, that doesn't seem even remotely awe-inspiring to me. If it gave specifics of his before lifestyle to compare to his after lifestyle I'd like the article more. I'm honestly hoping to have done way better than that once February rolls around and I've been at this for a year.

Yeah it's true I forgot you guys are pretty hardcore low carb/keto fiends, I'll keep my bars though thanks!

entremet

So the guy lost 21 lbs of fat and put on 8 lbs of muscle over the course of a year? While a nice story, that doesn't seem even remotely awe-inspiring to me. If it gave specifics of his before lifestyle to compare to his after lifestyle I'd like the article more. I'm honestly hoping to have done way better than that once February rolls around and I've been at this for a year.

Yeah it's true I forgot you guys are pretty hardcore low carb/keto fiends, I'll keep my bars though thanks!

It's more about not being too obsessive about scale measures, which many of dieters become glued to. Body composition is a much better barometer.

Draft

He's pushing 50 AND nailed the elusive lose fat WHILE building muscle program. It's pretty impressive.

Bealost

It is impressive, sorry I jumped on your case so fast, just get tired of see what xxxxx did, clearly this is the best/only way to do it. I jump into argumentative mode pretty fast sometimes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I had some thick bacon slices, a few slices of cheese, and a handful of almonds for breakfast.

So what would you guys say is a pretty healthy breakfast? My gf and I try so hard to find good and relatively cheap breakfast food but the best we can find is like... yogurt and shit like that.

Just fruits or something?

Anyway, I'm hitting the gym twice a day these days, trying to slim down considerably before summer. Trying to lose at least 30 pounds or so by May or June. Dunno if possible but I have to set some kind of a goal.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Eggs + Meat
Oatmeal + fruit

Loss depends on how driven you are. It's not for everyone, but I lost 50lbs in a little over 2 months previously on low-carb. It's a big reason I'm a believer. So it is absolutely doable. Only changed my diet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So what would you guys say is a pretty healthy breakfast? My gf and I try so hard to find good and relatively cheap breakfast food but the best we can find is like... yogurt and shit like that.

Just fruits or something?

Anyway, I'm hitting the gym twice a day these days, trying to slim down considerably before summer. Trying to lose at least 30 pounds or so by May or June. Dunno if possible but I have to set some kind of a goal.

Eggs. They are cheap and extremely filling.

Couple them with bacon, sausage, ham, etc. Throw in some nuts, too, if you'd like.

If you go low-carb, paleo, or primal, losing 30 pounds in the next 5 or 6 months will be extremely easy.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Should I mix it up more?

Losing weight is little to do with exercise and all to do with diet. Sorry it sounds like a bullshit answer but it's true.

I ran for years. 10k's every other day, outside in all weathers and really pushed myself. Got myself quite fit but never really lost any weight. Now i've lost nearly 2 1/2 stone. It's all in the diet.

You need to cut out all bullshit high calorie food. Dump the takeaways, drop the booze and concentrate on good quality ingredients in small amounts. Lots of good protein sources and fresh veg.

Don't worry so much on the fat content but drop the carbs by a lot.

Good luck.

Started with 143.3 pounds (65 kg) couple months ago with a target of 132.2 pounds (60 kg.). But at 132.2 pounds still had a bit of a gut, so my new aim is 125.6 pounds (57 kg.). I'm at 129 (58.5 kg.) right now.

I'm not sure if I'm doing it as efficiently as possible, but the following is what I've been doing:
- light breakfast with only vegetables and fruit
- Lunch with three slices of fullgrain bread with cheese and meat
- Diner with only meat/eggs/fish combined with vegetables
- No inbetween snacks except fruit or carrots
- Almost no alcohol except the occassional glass of wine
- No sweet or salty snacks and no soda. Drink only water and tea.

Don't exercise much (work 50-60 hour weeks currently) except some 20 min. work-outs three times a week. And I commute on bicycle, that's another 6 hours of light exercise I guess. I think the almost zero alcohol and changed diet are the biggest influences though.

How tall are you? 125ish pounds seems waifish. I'm 136 pounds myself, 5'6 1/2, and i have a slight pooch.. and wanted to go sub 130-- but my friends are already criticizing me for looking "too thin".

DrM

Redmond's Baby
From 119 kg on 17th October to 105 kg on this day. All due to new work, that demands a lot of physical work (moving on average 4000 kg of goods around every day by hand) and moving around huge warehouse.

I stay away from fried and greasy food. And no eating after 7 pm.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
From 119 kg on 17th October to 105 kg on this day. All due to new work, that demands a lot of physical work (moving on average 4000 kg of goods around every day by hand) and moving around huge warehouse.

I stay away from fried and greasy food. And no eating after 7 pm.

Why?

rCIZZLE

Losing weight is little to do with exercise and all to do with diet. Sorry it sounds like a bullshit answer but it's true.

I ran for years. 10k's every other day, outside in all weathers and really pushed myself. Got myself quite fit but never really lost any weight. Now i've lost nearly 2 1/2 stone. It's all in the diet.

You need to cut out all bullshit high calorie food. Dump the takeaways, drop the booze and concentrate on good quality ingredients in small amounts. Lots of good protein sources and fresh veg.

Don't worry so much on the fat content but drop the carbs by a lot.

Good luck.

This. Back in high school when I was a large kid I tried playing basketball and backyard football every day and very slowly lost weight. I dropped soda and candy entirely and cut back on garbage stuff like hot pockets and pop tarts which helped me lose 50 pounds in about 2 months.

I wish I had the discipline my younger self possessed so I can finally get in good shape instead of passable.

Top Bottom