• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

ch0mp

It's no secret exercise is key to a healthy lifestyle. It's just bothersome seeing people ask if they should run for 30 minutes 5 times a week or 3 times a week and the best response gaf can come up with, in the weight loss thread, is, it doesn't matter, diet is everything. What kind of advice is that for a member trying to live a healthy lifestyle?
What exactly is it about exercise that makes you so healthy? Are you saying it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you run it all off?

Biggest loser is a great example of how NOT to lose weight. Crash diet with extreme exercise for 6 weeks. I can see that being successful long term.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
It never ceases to amaze me that people think inadequate exercise is either the root cause of the obesity epidemic or that it's the only long term method to get out of being obese.

There was no fitness industry before the obesity epidemic. Dozens of countries that are way thinner than the United States don't have much of a fitness industry. And it's not lack of walking. The Automobile was big in the United States in 1975. No obesity epidemic.

The problem is internal energy regulation by the brain. You can force high level caloric intake and outtake, but it's a struggle that may or may not address the root cause. If the brain thinks it's starving, it's going to orchestrate everything in the body to get food. It will reduce energy outtake, cannibalize lean tissue, and increase hunger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptin
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/07/food-reward-dominant-factor-in-obesity.html

What happened to America is home cooked meals were replaced with fast food, junk food, packaged food. They're meticulously designed to make you overeat. And subsidized thanks to Nixon.

eissan

You make yourself hungrier by exercising a lot. Then it just becomes a game of willpower and forcing yourself to ignore your body's signals.

uhhhh so you're saying to exercise and not eat?! isnt that bad for you? I am pretty sure if you are hungery and you dont feed your body you start burning muscle for energy...someone correct me if I am wrong but you definitely dont want to ignore your body if it's telling you it wants food and that you should be eating 4-6 smaller meals aday so you dont have these hunger issues?

teh_pwn

uhhhh so you're saying to exercise and not eat?! isnt that bad for you? I am pretty sure if you are hungery and you dont feed your body you start burning muscle for energy...someone correct me if I am wrong but you definitely dont want to ignore your body if it's telling you it wants food and that you should be eating 4-6 smaller meals aday so you dont have these hunger issues?

Not if you fix the problem.

Give the body real food and the brain will drive hunger to a healthy body weight.

teh_pwn

Huh, interesting read there. My question would then be how do I maintain a healthy diet without cravings for "bad" food? What do I eat to fill me up and make the cravings dissipate?

I went cold turkey, though you could iterate. First cut out obvious offenders like pizzas, dollar menus, candy bars. And go from there.

I barely eat sweets any more but I still have the cravings. For me it's a question of willpower and remembering how fat I used to be and what led to it. I don't want to go back to that.

I still allow myself the very occasional treat though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I barely eat sweets any more but I still have the cravings. For me it's a question of willpower and remembering how fat I used to be and what led to it. I don't want to go back to that.

I've seen your progress Gary, you've done awesome. What do you typically eat? Any easy lunches or dinners you have found?

After finals (which are taking 100% control of my life right now), I'm going back to my health kick. Went to the grocery store a few days ago and loaded up on spinach and pre-grilled, frozen chicken. Once I kill all the shitty stuff in my cupboard, it isn't coming back. Gonna try to get what P90x I can get in, as well.

I've seen your progress Gary, you've done awesome. What do you typically eat? Any easy lunches or dinners you have found?
I am pretty standard low-carb. One go-to lunch I use a lot is Trader Joe's Cajun Salmon. So good. Usually have it with some spinach or other veggie or nuts.

IMG_5156.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I quickly looked over that, but they fuck behavioral psych up so much, I can't even read most of it :/

So, are you saying that people are not less likely to overeat foods with little to no seasoning and flavoring compared to more highly palatable foods?

Huh, interesting read there. My question would then be how do I maintain a healthy diet without cravings for "bad" food? What do I eat to fill me up and make the cravings dissipate?

For me, it was easy. High protein and high fat foods did the trick. They fill me up and keep me full for a long time without massive portions. Cut out sweets, especially those in beverage form.

Focus on eating whole foods, preferably stuff that you can prepare yourself. A steak and some veggies. Eggs and bacon. Chicken and vegetable stir-fry (without the rice, use tamari instead of wheat-filled soy sauce). Pot roast. Etc.

For me at least, the hunger and cravings for other bad stuff disappeared quickly.

SeanR1221

So, are you saying that people are not less likely to overeat foods with little to no seasoning and flavoring compared to more highly palatable foods?

What? I'm saying they misuse behavioral terms throughout the entire thing and it's difficult to read.

Mest30

Banned
What exactly is it about exercise that makes you so healthy? Are you saying it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you run it all off?

Biggest loser is a great example of how NOT to lose weight. Crash diet with extreme exercise for 6 weeks. I can see that being successful long term.

I really don't think some of you guys read before posting. Not once did I say you can eat whatever you want. In fact, I said the opposite. I'm not going to repost everything I said. Go back and read. I also stated that i dont think the biggest loser is a healthy way to lose weight. Once again, go back and read. It's all in the last two pages. I'm slai not here to educate you on the benefits of exercise. Look up how exercise helps people live longer, healthier lives and vome back and post your findings. It may surprise you that exercise is actually good for you.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't think some of you guys read before posting. Not once did I say you can eat whatever you want. In fact, I said the opposite. I'm not going to repost everything I said. Go back and read. I also stated that i dont think the biggest loser is a healthy way to lose weight. Once again, go back and read. It's all in the last two pages. I'm slai not here to educate you on the benefits of exercise. Look up how exercise helps people live longer, healthier lives and vome back and post your findings. It may surprise you that exercise is actually good for you.

So you're not gonna post anything, then? Not arguing that there are lots of benefits to moderate exercise, by the way. Just don't think it's good to tell people "look it up, you'll be surprised!"

I'm not sure how long you've been low carbing, but if you keep with it, those cravings should disappear. I can really see myself doing this for the long haul.

Christmas just around the corner, should make for a good test. I truly enjoy this lifestyle, so there isnt any such thing as a "cheat" for me.

guys how bad is oil for keeping a diet? i tried cutting off oil and cooking everything by grilling, boiling, or steaming, but its very hard to keep up with that.

OG Kush

guys how bad is oil for keeping a diet? i tried cutting off oil and cooking everything by grilling, boiling, or steaming, but its very hard to keep up with that.

Coconut oil and hemp oil are great for you. They provide good fats. I'm not sure about the other oils (olive, vegetable etc)

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
How tall are you? 125ish pounds seems waifish. I'm 136 pounds myself, 5'6 1/2, and i have a slight pooch.. and wanted to go sub 130-- but my friends are already criticizing me for looking "too thin".

A little late in replying, but I'm pretty small - 5 foot 4 (1m.65). When I was at 145.5 pounds (66 kg.) my gut was pretty out there. Right now I'm at 129 pounds (58.5 kg) and it's not entirely gone but getting there. I kinda want to see if it's completely gone at around 125/126 pounds. I'll take a picture later this week but can't really compare to before because I don't think I have shirtless pics from when I was 66 kg :).

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
I'm not sure how long you've been low carbing, but if you keep with it, those cravings should disappear. I can really see myself doing this for the long haul.

Christmas just around the corner, should make for a good test. I truly enjoy this lifestyle, so there isnt any such thing as a "cheat" for me.

This is what's good about having a cheat day once a week for my wife and me. I honestly don't even go nuts anymore like I used to, but something's are just too wonderful to ignore.

Willpower is still good, though. Someone brought in a shitton of cookies and pastries along with a pumpkin cheesecake to work and just left it out for everyone.

Made my coffee and kept on trucking.

Just working on my stomach fat at this point. My weight keeps flying around between 187 and 182 as I keep working out. Trying to train myself that weight is not the ultimate metric. We need a body composition scale for home use thats as cheap and easy as scales. Instant billion dollar company.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That fish looks great Gary. I would buy fish weekly if I could, but I live in Iowa and thus any fish is super expensive. I do get all the beef and pork I can eat though. Although I'm not sure what of that to get. Pork chops are by far the least expensive (usually on sale for $1 or $1.50 a piece) yet I can't find a way to prepare them that really makes me crave them.

I just need to dig in and find some recipes that are easy, cheap and I actually want to eat. That would make a world of difference for me.

Bealost

well, just to help this thread get back on track, I figured I'd finally post some before and afters, I have some shirtless progress pictures as well, but I need to lose some more belly fat before I feel comfortable posting them. LOL at being self conscious in an anonymous internet crowd I guess.

I never weighed myself back then, but as i started trying to lose the weight I weighed 265. In the after, this morning is me at 198ish. I'm hoping that if I lose another 10 lbs or so the last little bit of flab on my belly will be gone.

b4andafter.jpg

Edit::
I also found this last night, pretty related to our most recent argum...discussion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo&feature=g-hist

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Dayum, nice work dude! 'tis a bit of a cliche, but you look like a different person.

... Wait, you took someone elses photo, didn't you?

;)

Mest30

Banned
So you're not gonna post anything, then? Not arguing that there are lots of benefits to moderate exercise, by the way. Just don't think it's good to tell people "look it up, you'll be surprised!"

Not to him. He obviously didn't read my posts otherwise he wouldn't have put words in my mouth. I understand that this is a weight loss thread, but come on. If you need gaffers to explain to you that exercise helps boost energy, helps put people in better moods, promotes better sleep, can improve ones sex life, can combat health conditions and diseases including hypertension, strokes, certain types of cancers, arthritis, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and depression, and it can help you maintain weight and lose weight, then you've got some problems. Everyone should know at least some benefits of exercise and to post something like 'what does exercise do for you anyway' is ignorant.

Keylime

Someone with spare time (maybe I'll do this myself) should post a summary of all the progress updates with pictures. With over 100 pages I'd bet there is a ton of awesome before/after shots that could be included in some kind of mega post.

Would love clicking through them all to see how awesome we all are :)

Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Olive Oil, Flax Oil, Primrose Oil, Hemp Oil, Butter, Duck Fat, Beef Fat, and Bacon/Pig Fat. Canola Oil is the cut-off, and I keep hearing bad things about it as time goes on. I also take Cod Liver Oil as a supplement.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
What other brands of pasture-raised eggs are available? I buy Vital Farms from Whole Foods. I love them, but it's $7/dozen. :/

Also, are there any 'packaged' grass-fed beef? I usually buy Bubba's burger patties to fry in coconut oil myself on the weekends, but I'm hoping there's a grass-fed equivalent so I could make the switch.

bigboss370 said:

Don't cut out oil. Embrace coconut and olive oil. As for other oils, this guide should help you: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/

What other brands of pasture-raised eggs are available? I buy Vital Farms from Whole Foods. I love them, but it's $7/dozen. :/

Also, are there any 'packaged' grass-fed beef? I usually buy Bubba's burger patties to fry in coconut oil myself on the weekends, but I'm hoping there's a grass-fed equivalent so I could make the switch.

Don't cut out oil. Embrace coconut and olive oil. As for other oils, this guide should help you: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/

For the eggs, make friends with a local hobby farmer. I occasionally get real free range eggs from a friend of my son's. He hasn't been around lately though :(
This way you know it's real free range, no grain feed.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I feel like I've been dieting forever. I think I've got maybe 2-3 weeks left and I'm finally done. Maybe 4 at the most.

It's going to be hard to go back into nearly normal amounts of food intake. I've got used to starving myself.

Keylime

I feel like I've been dieting forever. I think I've got maybe 2-3 weeks left and I'm finally done. Maybe 4 at the most.

It's going to be hard to go back into nearly normal amounts of food intake. I've got used to starving myself.

This reads like you're going to gain all of your weight back very quickly. I don't think anyone should "go on a diet"...I think people should "change their diet".

To me, diets aren't band-aids to fix a problem, they are just the way you should be eating to maintain good health for as long as you live.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This reads like you're going to gain all of your weight back very quickly. I don't think anyone should "go on a diet"...I think people should "change their diet".

To me, diets aren't band-aids to fix a problem, they are just the way you should be eating to maintain good health for as long as you live.

Maybe diet was the wrong word. I'm definitely going to keep to the low carb high protein foods from now on and I won't touch the bad stuff like chocolate etc... But I'm still going to have to transition onto eating more food to maintain my weight. I'm going to find that quite tricky.

dralla

I just got back from Trader Joe's for the first time. I tried some stuff, I wanted that Cajun Salmon but they didn't have it. I got the 4 hummus platter, the red pepper is amazing. I got the manderine chicken everyone always seems to like and a shrimp stir fry, will try these out over the next few days. Dark Chocolate covered blueberries, don't really like DC honestly and don't like them that much. Maybe a good thing though because I will only eat a small handful at a time. Got a small sushi platter, only tried 2 of the 4 kinds and it is damn good, never had sushi before. Got a salad for lunch, had roasted chicken, avocados, pistachios and cheese. It was really, really bad. Than some grape tomatoes, only $2.50 for a 1 pound crate, they taste great too. Than some celery sticks and baby carrots, haven't had them but I'm sure they're fine. I just needed something to dip in the hummus. Next time I go I'll be getting more hummus for sure, more tomatoes and the sushi. Is there anything else I should check out that is relatively healthy?

also, I was surprised by the prices. my total bill was under 40 bucks

OG Kush

Maybe diet was the wrong word. I'm definitely going to keep to the low carb high protein foods from now on and I won't touch the bad stuff like chocolate etc... But I'm still going to have to transition onto eating more food to maintain my weight. I'm going to find that quite tricky.

Just add some exercise to your life, if you haven't already. it'll balance it out.

Beef

Small changes in lifestyle (like lifting weights a few times a week) can surmount to a big difference in appearance!

24760120.jpg

imag0377u.jpg

abuC

So Im on day 3 of my intermittent fasting, I've been to the gym on 2 of those days, however today my Diet has turned into pretty much a warrior diet by accident. I only ate one large meal after I went to the gym, where as the previous 2 days I've had 2-3 meals in a 6 hour window. The first day at the gym went great, today I didn't feel as good, but I'll keep on trucking.

Draft

Just about every muscle in the body responds to adaptive stress positively. Muscles get stronger, the circulatory system becomes more effective, there's even studies showing the brain works better if it's constantly being subjected to new stimulus.

Stronger muscles make doing stuff easier. An efficient circulatory system breathes better and works less. Ultimately, we're all racing against time. Things will fall apart. But a fit body will fall apart slower, and the decline will be more gradual, because it's not being worked as hard.

Think of your body like a car. Change the oil every 10,000 miles, ignore standard maintenance and drive on tires until they go bare. That's hard driving, and the car's going to run like shit and die early. The same car with new oil every 5,000 miles, consistent regular maintenance and regular tire rotations is practically immortal in comparison.

Finally, bitches like a guy that's swole, and they love a guy with stamina.

Karak

So I have been low carb for around 9 years and had insane success. Basically 9 years without being overwieght while doing so. Which after many years of rolling up and down the scale was a real amazing feeling.

But I recently read about Lean-gains and decided to give it a whirl for the hell of it. I am very impressed. Another good way to keep weight low. I chose 16/8 which just seems to fit with my fast/feast schedule and just life in general. Really good energy, never hungry and eating a bit less than when I was low carb as well. Will report back in 3 months to see how I like it.

So I have been low carb for around 9 years and had insane success. Basically 9 years without being overwieght while doing so. Which after many years of rolling up and down the scale was a real amazing feeling.

But I recently read about Lean-gains and decided to give it a whirl for the hell of it. I am very impressed. Another good way to keep weight low. I chose 16/8 which just seems to fit with my fast/feast schedule and just life in general. Really good energy, never hungry and eating a bit less than when I was low carb as well. Will report back in 3 months to see how I like it.

You've been low carbing for 9 years? Now that's the voice of experience.
I would be interested in hearing a little more detail, if you have the time.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright, time for another check into what you all are eating.

Here is my schedule. I have been working to change it/improve it and still keep things in my diet that actually taste good. As you can see, weekends are still my killer, but I am working on it. Hard part for me is I try to keep my grocery bill around $50 if possible. You all give some good recipe suggestions, but I need enough food for 14 meals on a lower budget.

My weekday meals are typically:

Breakfast at Work: 2 Turkey Kielbasa links (each one is hot dog size), and a thing of greek yogurt.

Lunch: (Depending on price) either a can of soup (usually progresso/campbell's healthy) OR half of a salad kit (usually light Caesar, has lettuce, a few krutons, and dressing) to which I add some sliced turkey lunch meat to give it more protein and calories.

Dinner: I eat eggs usually 3 times per week. Meaning I'll usually saute some onion and crack 4 eggs into it, and have some turkey bacon with it.
Other meals may be chicken/cheap meat and a thing of microwave steamed veggies or something.

Weekends is where I go a bit off. I usually have Subway once or twice. I've been trying to find stuff to make more, and allowing myself to have things that aren't quite as good for you in order to get myself to eat at home. I have gotten turkey dogs or things like that.

What do you all eat on a weekly basis? Do you have food that you buy every week? Do I need to change my habits a bit (aside from the obvious weekend).

Revoh

I haven't cheated one bit since going strict keto on November 1st, I feel pretty damn good about it but..

Christmas is coming.

I'm going to pig out on dat ice cream we eat for dessert every year with my family because I think I deserve it. Right? :p

Are you guys planning what you are going to eat this holidays? Are you going to stay strong or say "fuck it, I'll start again tomorrow".

cyberheater

I haven't cheated one bit since going strict keto on November 1st, I feel pretty damn good about it but..

Christmas is coming.

I'm going to pig out on dat ice cream we eat for dessert every year with my family because I think I deserve it. Right? :p

Are you guys planning what you are going to eat this holidays? Are you going to stay strong or say "fuck it, I'll start again tomorrow".

I'm going to eat and drink what I want on Xmas day within moderation otherwise it's going to put other folks out as we're staying at the brother in laws on Christmas day and he's doing the cooking.

Man

December 23-26th is no-limits for me.
I've dropped 20KG since July so I feel I have deserved those days (not saying there hasn't been several other such days since summer!).

Will give myself Christmas Day off completely and will slightly increase my treats allowance for a few days but otherwise will still be on watch.

Bealost

Alright, time for another check into what you all are eating.

Here is my schedule. I have been working to change it/improve it and still keep things in my diet that actually taste good. As you can see, weekends are still my killer, but I am working on it. Hard part for me is I try to keep my grocery bill around $50 if possible. You all give some good recipe suggestions, but I need enough food for 14 meals on a lower budget.

My weekday meals are typically:

Breakfast at Work: 2 Turkey Kielbasa links (each one is hot dog size), and a thing of greek yogurt.

Lunch: (Depending on price) either a can of soup (usually progresso/campbell's healthy) OR half of a salad kit (usually light Caesar, has lettuce, a few krutons, and dressing) to which I add some sliced turkey lunch meat to give it more protein and calories.

Dinner: I eat eggs usually 3 times per week. Meaning I'll usually saute some onion and crack 4 eggs into it, and have some turkey bacon with it.
Other meals may be chicken/cheap meat and a thing of microwave steamed veggies or something.

Weekends is where I go a bit off. I usually have Subway once or twice. I've been trying to find stuff to make more, and allowing myself to have things that aren't quite as good for you in order to get myself to eat at home. I have gotten turkey dogs or things like that.

What do you all eat on a weekly basis? Do you have food that you buy every week? Do I need to change my habits a bit (aside from the obvious weekend).

Here are my staples:
Breakfasts:
5-6 eggs depending on size, two slices of cheese, basically just scrambled.
1c Greek yogurt mixed with a scoop of protein powder and a handful of strawberries.

Lunches/dinners
Chicken breast baked in a little bit of Italian dressing, soy sauce, and franks redhot with a baked sweet potato and/or frozen broccoli boiled to be non-chewy.
1 large can of tuna mixed with a little bit of miracle whip thrown into a bowl with a bunch of lettuce and cucumbers
A can of baked beans with some type of protein mixed in (usually chicken or ham) I eat it with a fork so I can drain off as much of the sugary gravy as possible while I eat it.

Those would be the things I make regularly, Ofc there are a few common additions that I wouldn't call staples but I eat relatively often.

Homemade "protein" bars consisting of mostly oatmeal, protein powder and peanut butter. Some small amounts of honey, chocolate, peanuts, dried cranberries mixed in as well.

Some kind of salad ordered from a local sub shop with cold cuts/tuna/chicken on it.

A few protein shakes a week if I'm hurting for protein on a given day. (Just protein powder and milk)

And the occasional meatloaf or roast beef or pot roast, with sweet potato or other veg.

well, just to help this thread get back on track, I figured I'd finally post some before and afters, I have some shirtless progress pictures as well, but I need to lose some more belly fat before I feel comfortable posting them. LOL at being self conscious in an anonymous internet crowd I guess.
goddamn, great job, man!

Top Bottom