• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

1. Getting up out of bed to go to gym before work. Hardest part for me hands down. Once there, its all good and I'm ready to sweat.

2. Diet doesn't really exist. I like to eat mostly fish and chicken already. Broccoli is my favorite vegetable already too. I have a weakness for fast food and bread based items. I don't get turned off by eating the same thing everyday but my wife does.

What can I do to accelerate my progress?

Start off by getting rid of the fast food and bread based items. Look into low or medium carb diets.

leangains.com

read the whole site.

Come on now, baby steps here. Even the author recommends you be at 12% BF when thinking about leangains.

Clott

Start off by getting rid of the fast food and bread based items. Look into low or medium carb diets.

Come on now, baby steps here. Even the author recommends you be at 12% BF when thinking about leangains.

You're right, but if he has no problem fasting it's really not that tough, coupled with some lower carb intake, something like 50-100 gram limit.

dtrack

Progress update!

Since starting low carb two weeks ago, I've lost 10.8lbs! I'm sure a lot of that is water weight but I do see a difference in my body :D

I've been hearing about Intermittent Fasting, is it a good idea to go with IF on a low carb diet?

How does IF work anyway? Is it strictly 24 hours of not eating?

Progress update!

Since starting low carb two weeks ago, I've lost 10.8lbs! I'm sure a lot of that is water weight but I do see a difference in my body :D

I've been hearing about Intermittent Fasting, is it a good idea to go with IF on a low carb diet?

How does IF work anyway? Is it strictly 24 hours of not eating?

Pretty sure it's about 16 hours. 8PM to 12 noon the next day.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Great stuff ZombieFred. Thanks for the pics!

I thought about making that post for a while, because of how good I feel about myself right now, as a way of keeping the motivation for other people. I forgot to add I'm 6'3 in that, but I feel confident in saying that it's a lot easier than people might think. Sure, first doing it was a pain but it's only because of the body starting to adapt and change since you're using a lot more muscles and increasing your stamina again, and it's hardly that painful of a change. Start doing that and then change your diet, you'll loose that weight straight away. I would say that if I did all of that in one go, with loosing that 4 stone (64 pounds) with my current exercise routine, it would of been done around in 9-10 months. Trust me, everyone can do it and get the bodies and confidence they wish for when they were overweight.

Any chance of one of the more regular users wanting to start a GAF weight loss challenge thread for the new year, starting on jan 1 2012?

Everyone record their starting weight and then we can motivate each other.

I'd be keen to participate but I don't log on enough to run such a thread.

Any chance of one of the more regular users wanting to start a GAF weight loss challenge thread for the new year, starting on jan 1 2012?

Everyone record their starting weight and then we can motivate each other.

I'd be keen to participate but I don't log on enough to run such a thread.

Don't start in 2012, start changing your life today.

Bealost

+1, Just do it. Listen to some advertisement for once.

Billboard.jpg

+1, Just do it. Listen to some advertisement for once.
]

No way dudes, I'm currently in cancun on holidays.
Get back home on 27th, then a bucks show on 28th then a wedding on new years eve.

I would be an idiot to not enjoy myself at the moment for the sake of a couple of weeks extra work next year.

Plus a lot of people are talking about having a few days off around Christmas anyway so get on the bandwagon on Jan 1 would be good.

You can start now if you want as well, it wouldn't be a thread where a there is a winner, just a thread to keep motivated by others who are going through the same stage of weightloss as each other I.e. beginning, the middle grind, the last 10kg, etc.

I mean this thread sort of does it but it is supposed to be just photos. A dedicated thread with more direction could be capable of motivating more people to weightless, which is only a good thing.

Bealost

Get back home on 27th, then a bucks show on 28th then a wedding on new years eve.

I would be an idiot to not enjoy myself at the moment for the sake of a couple of weeks extra work next year.

Plus a lot of people are talking about having a few days off around Christmas anyway so get on the bandwagon on Jan 1 would be good.

You can start now if you want as well, it wouldn't be a thread where a there is a winner, just a thread to keep motivated by others who are going through the same stage of weightloss as each other I.e. beginning, the middle grind, the last 10kg, etc.

I mean this thread sort of does it but it is supposed to be just photos. A dedicated thread with more direction could be capable of motivating more people to weightless, which is only a good thing.

This is going to sound contentious, for lack of a better word. But I feel like this is a major problem with the way people approach weight loss. Why do you feel like you can't enjoy yourself AND eat healthy? Why do people needs "days off" from being healthy? This isn't a temporary thing, its not difficult to do. If there is something you NEED in your diet for some psychological reason omitting it altogether is probably going to cause long or short term failure anyways.

My mother makes a delicious buffalo chicken dip, and I just at some of it, I don't feel guilty about it. I understand the consequences of eating it, and know what I need to do to make it "alright".

The longer you are at it the easier it gets, I have no desire at all to eat things like ice cream or pie anymore. I'm still vulnerable to cookie like snacks that I find laying around although I am much much better at not eating them anymore. It is not hard to do, it is not a difficult thing.

Just decide to do it, and do it.

To the contrary, the better you eat, the better you feel.

Interesting approach. Good luck.
Maybe update us this time next year.

Alucard

Banned
I lost 25 pounds for my wedding, but have put on about 15 of those since the wedding. :-/

Gotta get my shit straight and get motivated again.

This is going to sound contentious, for lack of a better word. But I feel like this is a major problem with the way people approach weight loss. Why do you feel like you can't enjoy yourself AND eat healthy? Why do people needs "days off" from being healthy? This isn't a temporary thing, its not difficult to do. If there is something you NEED in your diet for some psychological reason omitting it altogether is probably going to cause long or short term failure anyways.

My mother makes a delicious buffalo chicken dip, and I just at some of it, I don't feel guilty about it. I understand the consequences of eating it, and know what I need to do to make it "alright".

The longer you are at it the easier it gets, I have no desire at all to eat things like ice cream or pie anymore. I'm still vulnerable to cookie like snacks that I find laying around although I am much much better at not eating them anymore. It is not hard to do, it is not a difficult thing.

Just decide to do it, and do it.

To the contrary, the better you eat, the better you feel.

For me, it's not just eating healthily. Alcohol consumption is well up on my average around Xmas and new years and when on holidays, the alcohol is what I

I have been hovering at the same weight the last year after losing about 5kg the year before.
I currently do eat healthily but eating healthily, in my opinion, is not going to either lose weight or gain weight.

Eating unhealthily will gain weight and being on a diet will lose weight. People here want to lose weight.

The reason why people need days off is 'cause they are the days which are fun to spend with family and friends eating and drinking.

dralla

It really, really is that easy. It's not like you need to start eating plain chicken and broccoli tomorrow, or ever for that matter. Just start taking steps in the right direction. It is NOT hard.

I could eat plain, grilled chicken and broccoli every friggin day. I like to melt some grated cheese on the broccoli to make it extra delicious. I think chicken may be my favorite food period. So good, so versatile, so easy to cook, so healthy.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Two interesting articles I read from MDA (Mark and Martin are the shit):

1) More on the "do calories count?" issue: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-context-of-calories/#axzz1grEXMOYR

2) Snacking: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/meal-timing/#axzz1grEXMOYR

I had no clue that your body starts MPS every time you eat. I don't snack and only have two large meals with mountains of protein so it's not an issue for me, but I was interested none the less by that idea. If you're going to snack, make sure that snack has protein in it!

Bealost

Two interesting articles I read from MDA (Mark and Martin are the shit):

1) More on the "do calories count?" issue: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-context-of-calories/#axzz1grEXMOYR

2) Snacking: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/meal-timing/#axzz1grEXMOYR

I had no clue that your body starts MPS every time you eat. I don't snack and only have two large meals with mountains of protein so it's not an issue for me, but I was interested none the less by that idea. If you're going to snack, make sure that snack has protein in it!

I haven't read the article yet, but the first little bit REALLY bothers me already.

What’s that in the road ahead?”

vs.

“What’s that in the road!? A head!?”

Context is important.

You didn't change the context you jackass, YOU CHANGED THE WORDS....

Bealost

A agree with a lot of what he said, but a lot of it is just nonsense.

For isntance:
The truth is, it’s more like a complex equation where you have to factor in many other very important variables:
Do I want to lose weight or just body fat?
Do I want to gain weight or just muscle?
How much muscle do I want to put on and how fast?
What is my personal genetic “range” or limit for body fat or muscle?
These are all different contexts.

The first three questions should all have the same answer for everybody.
Just Fat.
Just Muscle.
As fast as possible.

the fourth question is damned near irrelevant. We are all just playing with the cards we are dealt and the goal is to make the best play we can with what we got. (see questions 1-3)

OG Kush

Guys, best dressing for salads? In terms of least fat. I got a few and they're pretty low carb so thats alright but they're pretty damn high in fat like 7 grams per tea spoon. I know some fats are fine, but when I'm already having hemp oil, coconut oil +all the other food I eat everyday (cheese especially!) I want to be careful of how much fat I put into my body.
So therefore what are the best salad dressings and also generally any sauce (for chicken etc, I need some condiment with my meat).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Guys, best dressing for salads? In terms of least fat. I got a few and they're pretty low carb so thats alright but they're pretty damn high in fat like 7 grams per tea spoon. I know some fats are fine, but when I'm already having hemp oil, coconut oil +all the other food I eat everyday (cheese especially!) I want to be careful of how much fat I put into my body.
So therefore what are the best salad dressings and also generally any sauce (for chicken etc, I need some condiment with my meat).
Vinegar based dressings (Balsamic is my go to)
Mustard based dressings are good too

I just dump ceasar on my salads because I'm going to burn the fat anyway. Helps me keep on the diet and tastes great when I want a change of pace.
If you are not eating much fat or carbs are you getting the rest of your calories from lean protein?

If you're on a low carb diet you need to eat tons of fat.

abuC

LOL, I gained a pound since starting intermittent fasting, yet my waist is getting smaller. I guess it makes sense, my lifts have gotten a lot better at the gym since working out during my fasts.

alternade

What do you guys take before and after your workouts? I was going to start creatine, but my trainer told me it makes you kinda "bulky and flabby" looking and if your goal is weight loss it counteracts that.

What do you guys take before and after your workouts? I was going to start creatine, but my trainer told me it makes you kinda "bulky and flabby" looking and if your goal is weight loss it counteracts that.

Nothing before, and I usually have a nice meal within 90 mins post workout.

Sarquiss_

I have been going to the gym for the past few months (3-5 months @ 45min-1 hour sessions during lunch at work) and so far I have noticed I have gained some muscle but am still overweight.

I was wondering whether anyone had any tips e.g Gym regime (I have been going light weights as my upper body strength is really lacking - I tried a PT but thought it was a waste of time as the guy I had kept on wasting time) or even workouts I can do at home?

My stats are:

Weight: 130KG
Height : 6"5

I am mainly trying to lose fat and build some muscle.

Bealost

I have been going to the gym for the past few months (3-5 months @ 45min-1 hour sessions during lunch at work) and so far I have noticed I have gained some muscle but am still overweight.

I was wondering whether anyone had any tips e.g Gym regime (I have been going light weights as my upper body strength is really lacking - I tried a PT but thought it was a waste of time as the guy I had kept on wasting time) or even workouts I can do at home?

My stats are:

Weight: 130KG
Height : 6"5

I am mainly trying to lose fat and build some muscle.

Read the op. Pick one of the heavy lifting routines, fix your diet, win.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So based on the other thread where the dude is giving away games and my desire to get my ass in gear I am now starting P90X first thing after break in Jan. This will be my second time through, and I lost 20 lbs the first time (which I put back on during unemployment).

What I am really looking for are the best meal ideas for breakfast (easy to pre-make or make in a microwave at work), lunch (microwave at work, also home on weekends) and dinner (home). I would like to set up some sort of eating schedule and spend only around $50-$60 a week on groceries if possible.

So weight loss thread, what do I eat? I don't mind if my breakfasts and lunches are similar all week (i.e. I am eating either soups or salads all week now, and yogurt for breakfast).

Thanks

Bealost

So based on the other thread where the dude is giving away games and my desire to get my ass in gear I am now starting P90X first thing after break in Jan. This will be my second time through, and I lost 20 lbs the first time (which I put back on during unemployment).

What I am really looking for are the best meal ideas for breakfast (easy to pre-make or make in a microwave at work), lunch (microwave at work, also home on weekends) and dinner (home). I would like to set up some sort of eating schedule and spend only around $50-$60 a week on groceries if possible.

So weight loss thread, what do I eat? I don't mind if my breakfasts and lunches are similar all week (i.e. I am eating either soups or salads all week now, and yogurt for breakfast).

Thanks

My younger brother has had success in making microwaved scrambled eggs, I haven't tried them personally, but he says they taste fine.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

I always find time to make an actual breakfast even though I work at 4:30 in the morning many days; eggs and some meat takes less than ten minutes to put together. If you're trying to speed things up beyond that, precook an entire tray of bacon or sausage and keep it ziplocked in the fridge to be microwaved when you need some. There's also cottage cheese or plain Greek yogurt with berries (a 3-pound bag of frozen berries is only about $6. Won't be as nice texturally as fresh, but just as good otherwise) and a small handful of almonds.

A couple simple suggestions for lunches or dinners: buy those gigantic value trays of ground beef or precut stew beef. They're absurdly inexpensive and can be used for so many different things, with any extras easily frozen for later.

Marinate the stew beef in some soy sauce, red chili flake and maybe a little coconut milk (literally dump it all in a big bowl, stir it up and cover with saran wrap in the fridge) and cook a couple large batches in a skillet for a super quick, portable meal you can pair up with frozen broccoli. Again, takes like 15 minutes to make.

Buy green bell peppers (often $1/ea) halve them and fill with a seasoned ground beef mixture and some cheese. Bake for 40 minutes, and there's another batch of dinners that can be heated up quickly.

I prefer to spend more time on flavors and different ingredients, but these are just some ideas that are cheap and easy for the kind of people who are a little cooking-phobic and/or always in a rush.

dralla

My younger brother has had success in making microwaved scrambled eggs, I haven't tried them personally, but he says they taste fine.

I eat them almost every day, they taste just like you cooked them in a frying pan. 1 minute per egg, give or take depending on your microwave. When I first tried it they came out dry and disgusting, after some experimentation with time they now taste great. You can throw in cheese, pieces of pre-cooked sausage, a little butter, basically anything you want. It's pretty much the easiest, quickest and healthiest breakfast I can think of.

I've been snacking a lot on cheese lately. Was in the supermarket and picked up a cheese platter for 9 bucks, 4 different kinds. Can melt them on whatever during meals too. I love me some pepper jack on a piece of pepperoni. Well, I love pepper jack cheese period. My 711 has a 'fresh food' area, they sell all different kinds of cheese sticks which are also surprisingly tasty. My 711 is great in general, they sell the cheese, beef jerky, tubs of different kinds of nuts, naturally sweetened flavored water and some other stuff. Good if I need a quick fix.

dmag1223

Man, you guys ever notice how seriously some people take their dieting? I was out with some friends tonight and got a hamburger, so I took off the bun not making a big deal out of it or drawing attention to myself. People ask what I'm doing and I explain, and one of them gets all serious and says "carbs are not the enemy", and educates me on why I'm completely wrong because I use up all my body's protein or something, and goes on about the horrors of butter and fat.

I've gotten used to these responses, but I'm down 47 lbs so I don't care, but I guess my question is, why do people care so much about other people's diet plans? For some people it's like talking politics or religion.

Man, you guys ever notice how seriously some people take their dieting? I was out with some friends tonight and got a hamburger, so I took off the bun not making a big deal out of it or drawing attention to myself. People ask what I'm doing and I explain, and one of them gets all serious and says "carbs are not the enemy", and educates me on why I'm completely wrong because I use up all my body's protein or something, and goes on about the horrors of butter and fat.

I've gotten used to these responses, but I'm down 47 lbs so I don't care, but I guess my question is, why do people care so much about other people's diet plans? For some people it's like talking politics or religion.

"Keep your eyes on your own plate"
or
"Mind your own fucking business"

Maybe just offer the bun to them? Toss it on the ground, watch them go at it.

ch0mp

They take it personally, like you're insulting their lifestyle choices or something. Similar to how vegans, vegetarians, teetotallers etc. are treated.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Personality I would think. If someone is doing something they think is good for them, but doesn't work (according to the other person) then they might want to step in and say what they think works or is right. I haven't run into this yet surprisingly.

Like me and homeopathics. I won't be a dick about it, but I will ask if they understand how it works. If they do and believe in it then that's that.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Weighed myself again today, at 130 pounds right now, gained a little. I still want to lose around 5 pounds and end up at 57 kgs (125.6 pounds) but with travelling from january till march '12 I don't know if I can keep up with my current diet and exercise routine. I'll try to keep up the work but realistically speaking I think I can only return to steady dieting and exercising in april. I'll cook close to zero meals for the upcoming 90 days and will probably have little time and motivation to go running/working in a 30-40 degree environment. Oh well, at least since last fall I know I can lose about 4.4 pounds a month with eating less and drinking less =).

LosDaddie

Banned
Great work there, ZombieFred! Although I would've prefered if it you had used pounds instead of stones. Help us NA-GAFers out. :p

This is going to sound contentious, for lack of a better word. But I feel like this is a major problem with the way people approach weight loss. Why do you feel like you can't enjoy yourself AND eat healthy? Why do people needs "days off" from being healthy?

Because, like I've said here before, some of the food & drinks people, like myself, enjoy are incredibly unhealthy. It's not a difficult concept to grasp, really.

If I could eat burgers/fries/pizza/fried chicken/chips/crackers/etc and drink beer/soda/enegy drinks/etc on a consistent basis and not gain weight, then I definitely would. I love all that stuff. But that's not how it works out. So my options are to either completely eliminate said food & drinks from my diet, or give myself a weekly Cheat Day where I can ingest them all, and still lose weight.

Eating healthy is fine, too. I enjoy it as well. But I do love me some carb-loaded, sugar-filled food and drinks :)

Because, as this thread has shown, some people will (fiercely) defend their diet/weight loss routine as long as it works for them. You choosing a different route can be viewed as a challenge to their own (proven) routine.

You are not supposed to eat fruit during a low carb diet right? I had 4 clementines throughout the day today with 3 eggs, some fresh turkey breast, salami, cheese, and a couple handfuls of nuts. Was I okay? (I feel really good tonight and am wandering if it is okay to eat like this more often)

OG Kush

You are not supposed to eat fruit during a low carb diet right? I had 4 clementines throughout the day today with 3 eggs, some fresh turkey breast, salami, cheese, and a couple handfuls of nuts. Was I okay? (I feel really good tonight and am wandering if it is okay to eat like this more often)

man I love clementies and yeah you can eat fruits but not too much depending on what your carb limit is for the day. But I do know clementines have about 9g of carbs in them. But the way I see it is that atleast when I have fruit for dessert I'm getting vitamins unlike say if I ate cake or ice cream etc.

The last couple days I have been doing low carb and need to use the bathroom constantly.

I have read that it is sort of common to be frequently urinating but man is it annoying!

LosDaddie

Banned
Weighed myself again today, at 130 pounds right now, gained a little. I still want to lose around 5 pounds and end up at 57 kgs (125.6 pounds)

How tall are you? 130 lbs would be incredibly skinny for me, and I'm 5'8" (~5'9" on a good day).

Fruits are fine. Fresh fruits, that is. Of course, don't go overboard, and you'll be golden.

Top Bottom