• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

SeanR1221

Fiance is going out to a play tonight, so I'm thinking two turkey burgers, 2 fried eggs, bacon and cheese for dinner.

Low carb man feast.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Giving my first shot at IF. After listening to a podcast with the Primal guy on it, I realized it would probably be cake, and it has.

Planning on going with a 24 hour fast, so I'll have dinner tonight and that'll be all she wrote...then back to normal tomorrow.

I should have been doing this months ago.

That's a pretty crazy rate of loss. How much are you hoping to lose in total?

Another 97 pounds... I have a muscular physique which is currently being hidden, so it shouldn't take too much work to start buffing up afterwards.

It's going well though, God bless Keto <3

OG Kush

Another 97 pounds... I have a muscular physique which is currently being hidden, so it shouldn't take too much work to start buffing up afterwards.

It's going well though, God bless Keto <3

What's your daily keto diet like? Can you give me an exmaple of a daily routine for you? (e.g what you have breakfast, snack, lunch etc) Also how do you cope with eating when going out?

Giving my first shot at IF. After listening to a podcast with the Primal guy on it, I realized it would probably be cake, and it has.

Planning on going with a 24 hour fast, so I'll have dinner tonight and that'll be all she wrote...then back to normal tomorrow.

I should have been doing this months ago.
Got a link to this podcast?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I remember when I was on Keto, good times. Smoked gouda cheese saved my ass on that particular phase of my new life-style.

Anyways, does anyone know of a brand that makes lactose-free greek yogurt?

Got myself a Lindt 90% cocoa dark chocolate bar to try out. I've had a couple of squares per day, low in net carbs, and lots of yummy fats - cocoa butter.

A year ago I never would have been able to eat something like this (bitterness) but now it's really tasty. Put a scoop of nut butter on it, and it's a nice low carb treat.

Never thought of these before as a low carb fat source, I'm generally focused on animal fats.

Oh yeah, best thing is that no one else wants to eat them, so no sharing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
90% is just chalky. I enjoy 65% with sea salt.

Also did some moving around on p90, even with two big holiday dinners I've lost 4lbs this week.
HAHAHAHA

lowcarbing and cardioin my way down.

Well, the damage from Christmas vacation is 2 lbs gained. I can live with that.

Not too bad, but I didn't go crazy eating massive amounts of unhealthy food while up in NY, either. And typically, I start my Cheat Day on Friday night (it's Pizza Night in my house) through all day Sat., but not tonight. I'm just going to cheat tomorrow for lunch & dinner. And with a 3-day weekend coming up, I'm going to hit the diet hard, plus some moderate exercise on Sunday & Monday.

So.....New Years Resolution, GAF? Whatcha got?

For me, I'm plan to get down to 40 lbs lost (10 lbs more to go), in total, then just keep it off for the rest of the year in maintain-mode.

How tall are you? Please tell me no more than 5' 4"

167cm is 5ft 5.7 inches.

Word of advice though, p90x is a strength training program, so don't expect huge fat loss. But it will definately put you in the right state of mind and encourage you even more to change your diet. I absolutely recommend p90x, but a lot of fat loss comes from diet.
Agreed. And maybe P90X is too hardcore to start with anyway. Just get on an elliptical or go for long walks. Then look at the diet info in this thread and concentrate on that. Try the low carb, you might love it. Find a way to eat that is sustainable for you. Remember, Diet Diet Diet. It's all about what you take in. Add some low impact cardio, and some weight lifting. The X's will drop off your shirt size!

Question for y'all. Did you guys do an "induction," like in Atkins, or did you just start limiting the carbs to 50/100 g per day right away?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Agreed. And maybe P90X is too hardcore to start with anyway. Just get on an elliptical or go for long walks. Then look at the diet info in this thread and concentrate on that. Try the low carb, you might love it. Find a way to eat that is sustainable for you. Remember, Diet Diet Diet. It's all about what you take in. Add some low impact cardio, and some weight lifting. The X's will drop off your shirt size!

Question for y'all. Did you guys do an "induction," like in Atkins, or did you just start limiting the carbs to 50/100 g per day right away?
From my personal experience trying this twice I need to be sub 25g to see an impact on fat/weight loss.
So yes I start and keep at induction until I reach my goal. LAst time I didn't ease back in though.
I had lost 50lbs, felt incredible, stayed up late everynight eating tons of junk food. Needless to say I gained it back.

Round 2 for me. Time to remember losing weight is no fun :p

From my personal experience trying this twice I need to be sub 25g to see an impact on fat/weight loss.
So yes I start and keep at induction until I reach my goal. LAst time I didn't ease back in though.
I had lost 50lbs, felt incredible, stayed up late everynight eating tons of junk food. Needless to say I gained it back.

Round 2 for me. Time to remember losing weight is no fun :p
Hmm. Alright. I will have to give this a go. I like having a little more flexibility, but I guess anything worth doing is worth doing right.

At least half of what I eat is Flying Dutchmen from In & Out Burger. They are delicious.

So that recent article saying that the majority of fat people will stay fat because their body will fight to make them fat again even years after they've lost the weight got me to return to this thread.

I'm 5'8" and I was at 242 lbs last summer. Then I got down to 201 lbs by November 2010 and was feeling great. I ran 2 half marathons and got faster times than I've ever gotten (2 hours, 4 minutes was my fastest).

And then I slowly but surely ballooned to 248 lbs and this is where I am today.

I oscillate between determination and despair that this will ever get better. I hope to start tomorrow (rather than waiting for New Year's day) and will hopefully share updates regularly.

I would share this with my friends and family, but it's actually easier to feel supported in this pseudo-anonymous context. My friends don't really have issues with food and so they don't relate, and my family just tends to be judgmental.

Anyway - here's to hopefully a steady improvement.

So that recent article saying that the majority of fat people will stay fat because their body will fight to make them fat again even years after they've lost the weight got me to return to this thread.

I'm 5'8" and I was at 242 lbs last summer. Then I got down to 201 lbs by November 2010 and was feeling great. I ran 2 half marathons and got faster times than I've ever gotten (2 hours, 4 minutes was my fastest).

I oscillate between determination and despair that this will ever get better. I hope to start tomorrow (rather than waiting for New Year's day) and will hopefully share updates regularly.

I would share this with my friends and family, but it's actually easier to feel supported in this pseudo-anonymous context. My friends don't really have issues with food and so they don't relate, and my family just tends to be judgmental.

Anyway - here's to hopefully a steady improvement.
What happened to cause you to get back up to 250? Just going to an unhealthy lifestyle?

For me, food is a drug.
I used it to regulate my emotions and make me happy.

Like all addicts, I need accountability and a group of peers who support my "clean" lifestyle.
If you weren't getting those crisdecuba, I suggest seeking them out. They'll prove invaluable.

For me, food is a drug.
I used it to regulate my emotions and make me happy.

Like all addicts, I need accountability and a group of peers who support my "clean" lifestyle.
If you weren't getting those crisdecuba, I suggest seeking them out. They'll prove invaluable.
I have the same problem. Left to my own devices, I eventually succumb to the addiction. Sucks. The most successful I have been with dieting was when I did Body for Life with my girlfriend. We both got in the best shape of our lives together. It was a great time. Then we broke up, and I went to shit. Still trying to recreate that accountability we had with each other then.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

No worries. I gained my weight back and I'm 100% confident I can lose it again.
I'm wiser and more committed this time around and I'm sure you are too.

hxa155

How tall are you? Please tell me no more than 5' 4"

haha I'm like 5'6"

and yea I know 120 lb is low even for someone as short as me, but that's just my personal goal. I mean, I'm like 128lb now and I still have a gut. I'm losing weight at a very fast rate so I'm pretty sure I'll have a flat stomach by the end of this P90X round. After that, I'll prolly hit the gym and do a slow clean bulk and raise my weight to 125-130lb.

haha I'm like 5'6" or 5'7"

and yea I know 120 lb is low even for someone as short as me, but that's just my personal goal. I mean, I'm like 128lb now and I still have a gut. I'm losing weight at a very fast rate so I'm pretty sure I'll have a flat stomach by the end of this P90X round. After that, I'll prolly hit the gym and do a slow clean bulk and raise my weight to 125-130lb.
You need some muscle, bro.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I need help.

I know I've been boasting about my success with Keto, low carb, IF, and so on for over a year now in this thread, but there's something that's been consistently bad about my diet (and overall habit throughout my life) and it's the absolute inability to control myself when bad food is around.

The biggest reason I've been able to stick to my diet for so long is that I've made every effort to not have bad food such as chips, cookies, and so on around the house. When they're no around, it's near impossible for me to crave them.

But when they're around? I feel like a puppet and the strings ALWAYS pull me towards the food. If I even remotely resist, this unbearable urge/restlessness hits me and I think "I HAVE TO EAT IT".

My mother likes to occassionally buy herself treats and she brings it home, but she takes a long time to eat them. She could buy 2 doughnuts and bring home, but it would take her WEEKS to actually end up eating them both. Once I see them in the house, however, I feel like I HAVE to eat them and get them out of the house.

Then my mother buys more treats because I ate all of hers and thus this cycle just keeps going.

What eating disorder is this? (I plan to visit my university's counselors about this, btw)

Log4Girlz

I need help.

I know I've been boasting about my success with Keto, low carb, IF, and so on for over a year now in this thread, but there's something that's been consistently bad about my diet (and overall habit throughout my life) and it's the absolute inability to control myself when bad food is around.

The biggest reason I've been able to stick to my diet for so long is that I've made every effort to not have bad food such as chips, cookies, and so on around the house. When they're no around, it's near impossible for me to crave them.

But when they're around? I feel like a puppet and the strings ALWAYS pull me towards the food. If I even remotely resist, this unbearable urge/restlessness hits me and I think "I HAVE TO EAT IT".

My mother likes to occassionally buy herself treats and she brings it home, but she takes a long time to eat them. She could buy 2 doughnuts and bring home, but it would take her WEEKS to actually end up eating them both. Once I see them in the house, however, I feel like I HAVE to eat them and get them out of the house.

Then my mother buys more treats because I ate all of hers and thus this cycle just keeps going.

What eating disorder is this? (I plan to visit my university's counselors about this, btw)

LOL I'm the same damn way.

SeanR1221

I need help.

It doesn't sound like an eating disorder, more like a conditioning triggered by the sight of those foods. Best way to extinguish a behavior is to establish a replacement behavior. Maybe purposely place yourself in a situation where there will be those foods, but have your own foods ready. This way, you're becoming satisfied on the foods you're supposed to eat, in the presence of other foods around. If it's REALLY as bad as you say, you might even have to start with pictures of the food (I'm serious here) around you while you eat your normal diet.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Word of advice though, p90x is a strength training program, so don't expect huge fat loss. But it will definately put you in the right state of mind and encourage you even more to change your diet. I absolutely recommend p90x, but a lot of fat loss comes from diet.

Thanks. I guess i will add some cardio to lose some weight. Currently i am around 298 to 299 and my goal is to be between 150-170. Sometimes I wish i could go back in time to when i was high school and force myself to get into sports and the gym. I hate regrets.

SeanR1221

Haha, wow. I weighed myself this morning, and as of yesterday, I was doing pretty good (I fluctuate between 173-175, was 173 yesterday).

I step on the scale and I'm 181. The fuck?

So my friends all wanted to go to PF Changs yesterday. I got the Mongolian Beef, had one spoonful of brown rice and my fiancé and I split the lettuce wraps as our appetizer.

Well, looking at Chang's nutrition online, I somehow took in 90g of carbs from MEAT, VEGETABLES AND CHICKEN. :lol but also around 5,000mg of sodium(!).

And fast food is terrible for you, right?

elysianalartist

Neo Member
Took me six months but I lost 40 pounds that were gained Junior and Senior year at college. Being in the labs from 8am to midnight 7 days a week we ate a ton of dominoes an burger king.

n1627802916272417292954.jpg

By elysianalartist at 2012-01-01

37851454521885570982800.jpg

LFG

Neophyte
good job elysianalartist!

i finished off last year with a pint of ben & jerry's cinnamon bun ice cream. need to lose 15lbs to hit my goal. kinda stalled over the last month with a couple family birthdays and of course the holidays. going to add some exercise starting tomorrow, every other day, resting on weekends. i think squats, pushups, planks, and some dumbbell workouts would be a good start to my current, non-existent routine. good luck this year for everyone!!

edit: i'm doing low carb... averaging 25-30 a day. should i increase that on workout days or will i be fine as is?

edit: i'm doing low carb... averaging 25-30 a day. should i increase that on workout days or will i be fine as is?

You can absolutely workout on very low carb (keto).
However, you might have more success with a tkd (eat some carbs around workout time) or ckd (carb up 1-2 days a week) plan.

Thanks. I guess i will add some cardio to lose some weight. Currently i am around 298 to 299 and my goal is to be between 150-170. Sometimes I wish i could go back in time to when i was high school and force myself to get into sports and the gym. I hate regrets.
He didn't say anything about adding cardio. He said it was mostly diet. Most of us here agree. What do you plan to do on that front? If you don't change diet, all that P90X won't be nearly (if at all) effective enough.

Took me six months but I lost 40 pounds that were gained Junior and Senior year at college. Being in the labs from 8am to midnight 7 days a week we ate a ton of dominoes an burger king.

[MG]http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/7479/n1627802916272417292954.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/410/37851454521885570982800.jpg[/IMG]

You are one spicy lil' puddin.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Right count me in on this, overwieght want to lose some of my belly, will post some beofre during after pics (but not until I am finnished!)

Bealost

How much weight should you lose per week if you want to prevent excess skin?

A good guideline for reasonable weight loss is 1% of your body weight per week. That in and of itself won't always prevent loose skin. Some other things that can help are lifting weights and eating lots of protein to help prevent muscle/lean body mass loss as well, it keeps you "bigger" in your skin. Also drinking lots of water will help as well.

Nice work Elysian.

Also, been around family for new years and they ordered pizza.
Resisted that and feeling good about it. Staying strong at less than 50g.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Haha, wow. I weighed myself this morning, and as of yesterday, I was doing pretty good (I fluctuate between 173-175, was 173 yesterday).

I step on the scale and I'm 181. The fuck?

So my friends all wanted to go to PF Changs yesterday. I got the Mongolian Beef, had one spoonful of brown rice and my fiancé and I split the lettuce wraps as our appetizer.

Well, looking at Chang's nutrition online, I somehow took in 90g of carbs from MEAT, VEGETABLES AND CHICKEN. :lol but also around 5,000mg of sodium(!).

And fast food is terrible for you, right?
Breaded meats will do that.

Fast food burgers I don't think are the devil, but you shouldn't be eating them as a regular part of your diet imo. It's the soda and fries that get people.
Took me six months but I lost 40 pounds that were gained Junior and Senior year at college
That's a solid time frame. Stay committed and don't let up as it seems to be fairly easy to rebound. Try to take maintenance as seriously as loss if possible. Don't beat yourself up though :)

Dany

Banned
Oh, haven't updated at all!
Then at ~200lbs
jVPHkl.jpg

Now!
ewwFcl.jpg

I've lost 70 lbs last year (new year resolution), now at 130 lbs. Lost all the weight I reasonably wanted so now its just muscle tone.

SeanR1221

:lol nice edit. I was about to say, I've never even heard of flour in stir fry until your post, then I looked it up and saw it's used a lot to help brown the meats or something.

Zoe

:lol nice edit. I was about to say, I've never even heard of flour in stir fry until your post, then I looked it up and saw it's used a lot to help brown the meats or something.

And it's not just stir fry... a lot of recipes I read call for dredging the meat in flour first.

Top Bottom