• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Log4Girlz

37851454521885570982800.jpg

By elysianalartist at 2012-01-01

Well if you're ever in Miami, and want a hook up for free tickets to the movies...

Messi

I was feeling a bit bad about some slight weight gain over christmas so I decided to go look at some old pictures. That kind of put things in perspective. Plus ive not posted in a while.

Me at 6'6 370ish pounds, 2 years ago:

fLUTjl.jpg

48wlBl.jpg

Me at 259ish pounds:

c5HFyl.jpg

this is even more recent:

6Wfjwl.png

and finally my 56 waist jeans that used to fit with no belt :/. I wear a 40' waist now. also this photo is quite old so im slimmer than this lol

DuYOZl.jpg

I don't feel so bad anymore, you guys continue to inspire me, even when I feel like I am going to fail

Funny that so many people's before pics have them with long, disastrous hair. Then when they lose the weight, they cut the hair and look so much better. Probably a sign of just letting themselves go!
Great job man!

Messi

Funny that so many people's before pics have them with long, disastrous hair. Then when they lose the weight, they cut the hair and look so much better. Probably a sign of just letting themselves go!
Great job man!

My weight got really out of control when I grew my hair out, I just let myself go as you say.

Darklord

Banned
Great job man!

I like my longer hair. To hell with cutting it if I lose weight!

Great job man!

For me, it was not exactly letting go. When I was 60-70 pounds heavier than I am right now, I was under the delusion that the longer hair would make by huge double chin and cheeks seem smaller by comparison.

Nephix

Respect to everyone that's able to manage a low-carb diet while weightlifting and running or etc. I had a whole lot of trouble myself a month ago or so with hypoglycemia after about 5-6 months of maintaining a low-carb diet.
For those that don't know or haven't experienced what hypoglycemia is; think about what it would be like to have tens of ailments group up on you all at once and without mercy. One of the worst experiences of my life so far.

However I got through it and I've almost reached my goal of 165 pounds, down from 264 pounds though I have to say that it hasn't been all that difficult; apart from the above mentioned happenings it was just a matter of deciding to lose weight and then eating roughly the same stuff every single day with a good balance between carbs, protein and fat. I was never tempted to stray from the diet and eat sugary stuff and I stay away from booze due to earlier experiences.
I'm happy with the result so far and I've managed to avoid excessive amounts of loose skin by altering the diet as the weight went down. Weightlifting helped a lot with that as well. Having an entire wardrobe full of useless oversized clothing kind of sucks though.

Also, I really regret not ever taking any before-shots, especially after glancing through this thread. Just thought I'd share some of my experiences even though I don't have any pictures of the results and beginnings.

LFG

Neophyte
wow, so i did my first workout this morning. i felt so sick afterwards. dizzy, nauseous, the bubbly guts, shaky, cold sweats. they all hit at once just after finishing everything. and all i did was squats (no weights) and pushups. tried to do 3 sets of 15, but the last set and i could only manage 10. i had to lay back down for thirty minutes or so. finally vomited and now feeling much better, though i still feel like a big wet noodle. did i over do it for my first time? it doesn't look like much, but it kicked my ass.

Nephix

wow, so i did my first workout this morning. i felt so sick afterwards. dizzy, nauseous, the bubbly guts, shaky, cold sweats. they all hit at once just after finishing everything. and all i did was squats (no weights) and pushups. 2 sets of 15 and the last set and i could only manage 10. i had to lay back down for thirty minutes or so. finally vomited and now feeling much better, though i still feel like a big wet noodle. did i over do it for my first time? it doesn't look like much, but it kicked my ass.

No, I think it's probably because of your blood sugar taking a dip. I'm going to go ahead and guess that you hadn't eaten anything for awhile ( 2+ hours ) and/or that your last meal was probably a low-carb one. Try eating more carbs before the workout ( at least 1.5 hours before ), preferably from oatmeal, whole wheat bread and the likes; just slow carbs. Take some protein-drink directly after the training session. Also, be sure to stay hydrated.

Zoe

wow, so i did my first workout this morning. i felt so sick afterwards. dizzy, nauseous, the bubbly guts, shaky, cold sweats. they all hit at once just after finishing everything. and all i did was squats (no weights) and pushups. tried to do 3 sets of 15, but the last set and i could only manage 10. i had to lay back down for thirty minutes or so. finally vomited and now feeling much better, though i still feel like a big wet noodle. did i over do it for my first time? it doesn't look like much, but it kicked my ass.

Did you eat before working out? Are you having enough to eat overall?

So I gained 3 pounds over Christmas. I'm not proud of it and I was such a role before going off the rails during Christmas. (14 pounds lost overall, well 11 if you factor in the weight gain , with a target of losing 26 pounds)

Anyway, a 3 pound gain isn't the end of the world (it totally is. :( ) and I've already started back on my low carb again, but it's going to take a while for the gained 3 pounds to be shed. :(

LFG

Neophyte
No, I think it's probably because of your blood sugar taking a dip. I'm going to go ahead and guess that you hadn't eaten anything for awhile ( 2+ hours ) and/or that your last meal was probably a low-carb one. Try eating more carbs before the workout ( at least 1.5 hours before ), preferably from oatmeal, whole wheat bread and the likes; just slow carbs. Take some protein-drink directly after the training session. Also, be sure to stay hydrated.

Yea.. pretty much started after getting out of the bed. My last meal was at least 9hrs prior. Ill go get some oatmeal today and eat a good hour before trying that again. Thanks for the advice.

Did you eat before working out? Are you having enough to eat overall?

No.. no food prior to the workout. I'll be changing that! Overall, yep, im eating enough :)

Zoe

No.. no food prior to the workout. I'll be changing that! Overall, yep, im eating enough :)

Well, you don't need to eat before a workout. In fact, a lot of people encourage going on an empty stomach.

If you do eat though, don't eat or drink sugary things because that does make you nauseous.

LFG

Neophyte
So I gained 3 pounds over Christmas. I'm not proud of it and I was such a role before going off the rails during Christmas. (14 pounds lost overall, well 11 if you factor in the weight gain , with a target of losing 26 pounds)

Anyway, a 3 pound gain isn't the end of the world (it totally is. :( ) and I've already started back on my low carb again, but it's going to take a while for the gained 3 pounds to be shed. :(

Don't stress over 3lbs. It'll come off quick. I went off low carb last year in february and went back to my old eating habits. I gained 30lbs back in four months. Took me about six months to lose it again!

LFG

Neophyte
Well, you don't need to eat before a workout. In fact, a lot of people encourage going on an empty stomach.

If you do eat though, don't eat or drink sugary things because that does make you nauseous.

Then what should I do about getting sick after working out? Lower my reps? Maybe rest longer between sets? It was such an unpleasant experience. I really don't want to have that happen again.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yep. I too have come of the rails at xmas but I'll soon loose it again. I've enjoyed eating what I like. A month from now, it'll all be off and more.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Count me in on the post-Christmas shame train. I packed on at least five pounds of pure fat over the last week thanks to depression and stress-related binge eating. It's going to be really tough to stick to a diet now, too, since I'm back in school starting tomorrow (in a two year baking and pastry course, no less) but we now get free use of the gym next door to my job, so hopefully I can get myself in there at least a few times a week. I've got to figure out a permanent solution to this quarterly weight loss/gain yo-yo cycle...

Zoe

Then what should I do about getting sick after working out? Lower my reps? Maybe rest longer between sets? It was such an unpleasant experience. I really don't want to have that happen again.

Well that's hard to say... usually you wouldn't get sick unless you're doing intensive cardio (which doesn't match what you describe) or you're incredibly obese (which you aren't based on previous posts).

Take it slow and consider getting a physical done with your doctor. Personally, squats are good, but I would find something better to do than push-ups.

Nephix

I've only ever heard of people recommending taking a walk or similar before breakfast. But if your definition of empty equals a non-substantial meal but an ample amount of carbs and supplements, then I guess we're on the same track. I'm no expert in the area though, but I ( like I mentioned in an earlier post ) had hypoglycemia daily for about a week after spending months doing workouts with few or no meals in advance; resulting in being bedridden for most of the time. It doesn't hurt to have that extra energy during the workout as well, especially if the goal is, in part, to preserve some muscle mass during a diet and even build some.

But then again, everyone is different so the best thing to do is just try out and see what works and what doesn't.

LFG

Neophyte
Well that's hard to say... usually you wouldn't get sick unless you're doing intensive cardio (which doesn't match what you describe) or you're incredibly obese (which you aren't based on previous posts).

Take it slow and consider getting a physical done with your doctor. Personally, squats are good, but I would find something better to do than push-ups.

Well, after my first sets my heart was racing and had some heavy breathing. Could it be that im just ridiculousy weak? I had a physical a little over a year ago and all was well. It's time for another though. Im just working out at home and not sure what I should be doing . Perhaps I should ask in the fitness thread?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Yeah, I've gained probably 5 lbs over the holidays too. All of it while out of town. Harder to resist when my parents house is constantly fumed with smells of cookies, pies, popcorn, pizzas, and other stinky stuff.

Lean steaks are the way to go. Kills hunger so effectively. Should lose the weight in about 2 weeks.

Well, after my first sets my heart was racing and had some heavy breathing. Could it be that im just ridiculousy weak? I had a physical a little over a year ago and all was well. It's time for another though. Im just working out at home and not sure what I should be doing . Perhaps I should ask in the fitness thread?

Avoid the new years wave. They'll all be high on "you can do it!" and think that results=torture/time. You just need to work out long and hard enough to get an adaptive response for you, rest/recovery (days), and repeat.

Man

I'm 5.5 and currently 174 (was 214 last summer).
My aim is 154 but maybe I should go lower considering the height.
I like to believe I have some muscle but more the 'natural strength' type.

edit: at 154 I'm 25.7 bmi so it won't kill me to go lower.

Nephix

In my experience, you will soon learn your own limits but it might be a good idea to look up a few more exercises as well and make sure your form is correct. Also, it's easy to overdo it the first time but it's nothing to worry about, it'll be perfect the next try or the one after that.
Still, I started out doing only exercises at home using only my own body weight and it's a good way to start out I'd say.

Just go at your own pace and decrease the intensity and quantity as needed and increase when you can easily do a certain amount.

Zoe

I've only ever heard of people recommending taking a walk or similar before breakfast. But if your definition of empty equals a non-substantial meal but an ample amount of carbs and supplements, then I guess we're on the same track. I'm no expert in the area though, but I ( like I mentioned in an earlier post ) had hypoglycemia daily for about a week after spending months doing workouts with few or no meals in advance; resulting in being bedridden for most of the time. It doesn't hurt to have that extra energy during the workout as well, especially if the goal is, in part, to preserve some muscle mass during a diet and even build some.

But then again, everyone is different so the best thing to do is just try out and see what works and what doesn't.

Last year I was regularly doing hour-long boot camp workouts at the break of dawn with an empty stomach, and I never had any issues. The people who did have issues were usually the ones who snacked on something before coming. I only stopped doing it because of the horrible heat wave/drought we had and trying to get it to work with my new work schedule.

On the other hand, when I was on the high school swim team, we always had our practices immediately after lunch (couldn't do anything about the scheduling).

dtrack

I'm happy with my progress so far, lost nearly 20lbs in a month!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...DgweUNaM2czZVRMLXNMOUVxX3FOalE&hl=en_US#gid=0

However, is it possible that me being on a low-carb diet is making me weaker, are my muscles shrinking? Or is it the lack of carbs that just generally make me feel that way?

I've not really exercised since I started low-carbing, I've been quite happy with the rate I've been losing :) I've started doing HIIT on the treadmill, 45 seconds maximum intensity, 30 seconds medium-low. Hopefully this'll increase my muscle power in my legs.

Nephix

Last year I was regularly doing hour-long boot camp workouts at the break of dawn with an empty stomach, and I never had any issues. The people who did have issues were usually the ones who snacked on something before coming. I only stopped doing it because of the horrible heat wave/drought we had and trying to get it to work with my new work schedule.

On the other hand, when I was on the high school swim team, we always had our practices immediately after lunch (couldn't do anything about the scheduling).

Wow, that sounds painful, especially combined with a heat wave.

Then again, I guess it's really individual and that it depends on exactly what kind of exercises you are doing. Snacking on something before training is a big no no though, unless it consists of slow carbs or supplements that adds to the effectiveness or the workout.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...DgweUNaM2czZVRMLXNMOUVxX3FOalE&hl=en_US#gid=0

However, is it possible that me being on a low-carb diet is making me weaker, are my muscles shrinking? Or is it the lack of carbs that just generally make me feel that way?

I've not really exercised since I started low-carbing, I've been quite happy with the rate I've been losing :) I've started doing HIIT on the treadmill, 45 seconds maximum intensity, 30 seconds medium-low. Hopefully this'll increase my muscle power in my legs.

If you're going to keep up that weight loss per month, you're gonna have to accept some muscle loss, especially combined with the treadmill, depending on how often.
I wouldn't worry about it too much though, because the main goal is getting fit and losing weight, right?

Still, there's no need to rush. I'd say you would be more happy with the end result if you aimed at losing about 1.1-2.2lbs/week since that gives the body time to tighten up any loose skin and burn more fat instead of muscle.

harSon

Banned
I gained some weight during the holidays as well, it's damn near impossible to bake hundreds of cookies and not indulge yourself in a select few. Instead of discouraging myself by hopping on a scale to see just how much, I threw myself back onto my diet the day after Christmas and I'll be weighing myself in another week or so.

Didn't lose as much weight as I had hoped this past college quarter, it's difficult to balance alcohol consumption and low-carb dieting, but I did lose some weight. I plan to keep drinking to a minimum these next few months, ramp up the lifting/exercise and shed these remaining pounds once and for all. I plan to be at maintenance weight by the beginning of the next quarter, so I have until now till March/April to make that happen.

I'll probably be doing my quarterly comparison picture as well this Friday.

What do you typically eat through out a day?

Bealost

Wow, that sounds painful, especially combined with a heat wave.

Then again, I guess it's really individual and that it depends on exactly what kind of exercises you are doing. Snacking on something before training is a big no no though, unless it consists of slow carbs or supplements that adds to the effectiveness or the workout.

Can you elaborate?

I know you don't want a blood sugar spike, but that doesn't mean something like a handful of peanuts would be bad. I've never heard that you "shouldn't" eat before you workout before. I know the IF crowd works out on an empty stomach, and people trying to get REALLY cut (like <10% bf cut) say its a good idea. But for a general plan for normal people trying to get healthier and lose weight, I've never heard that eating before a workout is bad.

dtrack

If you're going to keep up that weight loss per month, you're gonna have to accept some muscle loss, especially combined with the treadmill, depending on how often.
I wouldn't worry about it too much though, because the main goal is getting fit and losing weight, right?

Still, there's no need to rush. I'd say you would be more happy with the end result if you aimed at losing about 1.1-2.2lbs/week since that gives the body time to tighten up any loose skin and burn more fat instead of muscle.

Yup, my main goal is to shed this fat then building some muscle. But I might start weight training a bit earlier before my target goal to improve my fitness/retain muscles instead of just losing fat. No rush though.

Seems like I can't help the rate of loss! It just happens :D

Edit: I'm doing HIIT every 2 days for 10 minutes for each day.

What do you typically eat through out a day?

Typical daily menu:

Breakfast:

3 x Homemade chicken/lamb burger patties cooked in olive oil (bits of onion, ginger and garlic with half a tea spoon of paprika powder in the patties)
10-20 grams of cheddar cheese
4 cherry tomatoes, 6 slices of cucumber

Lunch:

Same as breakfast, maybe some changes in salad and more cheese.

Dinner:

Same as above, with mayonnaise.

Dessert if I feel like it:

Home made chocolate mousse (300ml whipping cream unsweetened, 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons of Splenda, whipped into a mousse).
Edit: I only eat around half the contents at a time, not the whole lot.

There's not much variety, however I'm actually happy with my menu lol. I take supplements too, these ones specifically: http://www.vitabiotics.com/Wellman/369_productinfo.aspx

Nephix

Can you elaborate?

I know you don't want a blood sugar spike, but that doesn't mean something like a handful of peanuts would be bad. I've never heard that you "shouldn't" eat before you workout before. I know the IF crowd works out on an empty stomach, and people trying to get REALLY cut (like <10% bf cut) say its a good idea. But for a general plan for normal people trying to get healthier and lose weight, I've never heard that eating before a workout is bad.

Should have been "Snacking on something sugary", I just forgot to add it in. I've heard/read that having some cardiovascular activity before breakfast results in a more efficient fat loss during the day, while preserving protein. Thus it depends on what kind of workout it is that you're attempting before the first meal.

It's probably geared towards people that compete or otherwise want to get really cut as you say though, rather than the average person that just wants to lose a few pounds.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
imma try a <1000 cal diet.

Don't worry about calories. Worry about the types of food you put into your system.

Eat all the meat, eggs and vegetables your heart desires...sprinkle in some fruit if you've got a sweet tooth and one day a week let yourself eat whatever you want so you don't miss out on things like pizza and donuts and whatever else you crave.

If 6 days out of the week you're eating nothing but meat, eggs and vegetables (season and sauce as you like, just keep the sauces light) and one day you eat like shit, you'll be in a great position and the weight will come pouring off.

Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're not.

Counting calories is tedious and not all that helpful unless you're eating the right kinds of foods AND counting calories...but if you're eating the right kinds of foods, calories really don't even matter anyways.

Top Bottom