• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
imma try a <1000 cal diet.

There's a lot of ways to lose weight successfully, but I think once you get in low calorie territory you have few options, and you start running into high chance of health risks and long term fat gain. So while I'm not so opinionated as I once was regarding fat loss I figured I'd give you a suggestion:

To do this I would recommend changing what you're eating so that your hunger guides you to eat less than 1000 calories. Get some lean steaks, mixed vegetables, and optionally a bland starch of your choice (potato, rice, etc). Eat them separately without really any seasoning. Avoid restaurants or other food dining areas where you can see or smell foods that you like. Always get adequate protein. Your body uses this as building supplies more so than energy. You're trying to lose fat, not organ tissue.

Avoid any heavy exercise while you do this, especially the first couple of days.

A small study on rats, and one on humans showing success (very small sample size)
A few more references to food reward studies.

The reason why I think low calorie diets can be dangerous is because I think that the brain regulates fat mass. If you're overweight, your brain thinks you're at a normal weight. This could be caused by the food that you eat, and one hypothesis is that food reward (how much it reinforces eating more) offsets the body fat homeostasis target level. So imagine if you don't fix this problem and you simple reduce energy intake. Your brain sees this as starvation because you are rapidly going below the target body fat level that it thinks it should have. It would be like if your body temperature were decreasing, or if you were at normal body temperature and you had the flu. Your brain will think it's cold and will do everything it can to increase the body temperature. In the analogy here you would start getting rabidly hungry, fatigued, even lose some higher level thinking ability because the brain thinks it's at high risk of death unless it increases energy reserves.

Natetan

anyone seen the show 'I used to be fat'? it's pretty amazing to see some of the weight loss (granted they are all 18 and have high metabolism etc, but the average GAFfer isn't that old either). It's pretty motivational to watch.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I'm back on the weight loss bandwagon.

This time last year I lost around 18 pounds or so in 30 days for a 2 day/night "city wide" costume party event, the Wellington Rugby Sevens. Put suitable pressure on myself to succeed by coercing the group of guys I was going with to go as a topless pseudo-Rambo getup a month before the event. Got down my weight enough to feel comfortable, and while I didn't quite match my friend who goes to the gym every day at least I went topless while the other 4 guys in the group chickened out and wore black tshirts.

183906_462295329363_507889363_5222378_4835840_n.jpg

I managed the weightloss through a combination of reduced calories, intermittent fasting, lower carb, no sugar, increased exercise, occasionally using ankle weights in everyday life, using stairs where ever possible, drinking a lot more water, and taking Spirodex, ramping up the intensity of everything over the course of the month. I have kept most of that weight off throughout the year after the event, and have been feeling more energetic and healthy than in a long time.

The Sevens are coming up again on 3 Feb, and I'm putting similar pressure on by wanting our group to go as Mexican Luchadors (still some convincing to do). Will be applying a lot of what I did last time around, though will be throwing in some heavier weights and ab workouts. Will post a pic of where I get to this time around.

Zozz

Banned
I been going on a light food and cigarette diet for about a month, lost about 25lbs in about a month. I think I'm gonna do some more damage for another 2 months before I hit the gym.

elysianalartist

Neo Member
Thanks everyone. And definitely helps motivate seeing the pictures in here.

good job elysianalartist!

need to lose 15lbs to hit my goal. kinda stalled over the last month with a couple family birthdays and of course the holidays.

I'm in the same position. That final 15 is always the hardest. Goodluck man!

That's a solid time frame. Stay committed and don't let up as it seems to be fairly easy to rebound. Try to take maintenance as seriously as loss if possible.

Yeah. I'm trying to keep solid on the paleo diet. Hard to give up cheese though! I loves my pizza :(

Good luck everyone with the new year diets!

And I see I got a nod from my favorite Lannister! Hellooooooo Tyrion. :)

big_z

imma try a <1000 cal diet.

Eat at least 1600 calories and exercise. Make sure you're eating good foods and drinking only water or zero calorie drinks. You can treat yourself once in a while and burn it off with more exercise but don't go overboard with treats.

avoid low carb unless you're too lazy to exercise and don't mind losing some muscle as well. Or if your so fat that exercise is high risk.

Both low carb and lower calories will help you lose weight but IMO the benefits of eating well and exercise is more beneficial in the long run.

Dany

Banned
Tofu = soy. Soy turns men into women. Stay away from that shit.

Unless you're a woman, then eat up.

Last time I read up on it, it has some estrogen in it but the health effects are still unknown. Many vegetarians are on a high soy diet and well, the ones I know don't have man boobs.

Eat at least 1600 calories and exercise. Make sure you're eating good foods and drinking only water or zero calorie drinks. You can treat yourself once in a while and burn it off with more exercise but don't go overboard with treats.

avoid low carb unless you're too lazy to exercise and don't mind losing some muscle as well. Or if your so fat that exercise is high risk.

Both low carb and lower calories will help you lose weight but IMO the benefits of eating well and exercise is more beneficial in the long run.

Some would say that low carb IS eating well. How do you define it?

And why do you think low carb dieters don't or can't exercise? Most of us in here exercise.

I like how eating well and eating low carb are two different things in your mind. Very ... interesting?

For me, food is a drug.
I used it to regulate my emotions and make me happy.

Like all addicts, I need accountability and a group of peers who support my "clean" lifestyle.
If you weren't getting those crisdecuba, I suggest seeking them out. They'll prove invaluable.
Yup - that's me too. Much of the language that alcoholics use to describe their relationship with alcohol is the same as what I would use with food.

My wife supports my "clean lifestyle" and my hope is to lose the weight more slowly this time around. It should be about a 9 month process with milestone markers each month.

So far so good this year (3 days in :)).

Blablurn

whats the opinion on bread guys? i stopped eating white bread but whats the deal with Multi-grain bread or 7 grain bread? good or bad?

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
so its okay to eat it? i mean not much: like one bun in the morning, one in the evening for breakfast and dinner.

Bread is terrible for you in all forms. Avoid at all costs if you can.

Blablurn

Haha. If you give up bread, you give up cereals, too. They are the same thing!

:| then i stay with bread. fuck it. i'm doing a 1500 calories diet since several weeks. lost 4 kgs so far. i'm doing some bike exercises too. want to lose at least to more till february. this thread is a great inspiration. i'm at 80kg with 175cm. havent crack the 70s mark since a looong time. it will be great to fínally see that 79,5kg.

dralla

I picked this up yesterday and I'm about finished, on the last chapter:

51b0qV-LrxL__87368.jpg

It takes a lot of the biochemistry out of it, makes it a lot easier for the average person to understand. It's short and a quick read and would recommend it to anyone who believes in the archaic dieting theories we've been brought up on. It may or may not convince you, but it will at least make you question things and maybe change the way you look at healthy eating.

super short summary

"Taubes reveals the bad nutritional science of the last century, none more damaging or misguided than the &#8220;calories-in, calories-out&#8221; model of why we get fat, and the good science that has been ignored, especially regarding insulin&#8217;s regulation of our fat tissue. He also answers the most persistent questions: Why are some people thin and others fat? What roles do exercise and genetics play in our weight? What foods should we eat, and what foods should we avoid? "

Nephix

Bread is terrible for you in all forms. Avoid at all costs if you can.

Nope.

Rye bread is a perfectly viable option if you feel like you need some bread to get you going. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a decent source of some much needed fiber during a diet as well.

Keylime

Nope.

Rye bread is a perfectly viable option if you feel like you need some bread to get you going. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a decent source of some much needed fiber during a diet as well.

Last time I checked, Rye bread was still bread...aka made with grains...aka terrible for you!

It would probably help if people making assertions that things are either fine or terrible for you would post some sort of reference or evidence of their claim.

Keylime

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RubxQub fighting the good fight! There are other health benefits for dropping grains (especially wheat) besides promoting weight loss.

Keylime

Meanwhile I'm eating my spinach leaf, carrot, cucumber, brocolli, chedder cheese, bacon salad with 3 grilled chicken breasts and full fat ranch dressing.

Living the good life, man. Delicious as hell.

Nephix

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/

Edit: Also read "Why We Get Fat" as was referenced above to learn what's up. Grains are not your friend in any form...

It was an interesting read but the way I see it, it's still in the early stages as far as research goes. I can't find enough scientific sources claiming that grain is universally harmful and thus, at least to me, it just feels like the case where people jump on the bandwagon and claim something to be the truth even if they've never felt any adverse effects from ingesting grain.

I can only speak from my own experience and my grandparents; who, by the way, went on to be well over 90 years old while maintaining a diet consisting of a controlled quantity of grain. However, eating crazy amounts of grain through bread would probably be a very bad idea, obviously.

Keylime

It was an interesting read but the way I see it, it's still in the early stages as far as research goes. I can't find enough scientific sources claiming that grain is universally harmful and thus, at least to me, it just feels like the case where people jump on the bandwagon and claim something to be the truth even if they've never felt any adverse effects from ingesting grain.

I can only speak from my own experience and my grandparents; who, by the way, went on to be well over 90 years old while maintaining a diet consisting of a controlled quantity of grain. However, eating crazy amounts of grain through bread would probably be a very bad idea, obviously.

People smoked every day of their adult life and didn't die of lung cancer, but that doesn't mean the two aren't linked. All I can tell you is to read "Why We Get Fat" if you really want to understand the current science behind it.

Certainly a slice of bread every now and then isn't going to kill you...but to pretend like it's a perfectly healthy thing to have in your diet as a staple is simply not corroborated by any science that I'm aware of.

Nephix

People smoked every day of their adult life and didn't die of lung cancer, but that doesn't mean the two aren't linked. All I can tell you is to read "Why We Get Fat" if you really want to understand the current science behind it.

Certainly a slice of bread every now and then isn't going to kill you...but to pretend like it's a perfectly healthy thing to have in your diet as a staple is simply not corroborated by any science that I'm aware of.

I'll take a look at the book but the problem is still that there's not enough scientific proof to accurately proclaim that grains are harmful for everyone. That blog, or website was just one guy giving his claims without backing them up properly; as is the case in a lot of these debates regarding what's harmful and what isn't.

There's a lot of stuff that's theoretically harmful but I would refrain from calling something truthful before there's enough evidence to back the claim.

Keylime

I'll take a look at the book but the problem is still that there's not enough scientific proof to accurately proclaim that grains are harmful for everyone. That blog, or website was just one guy giving his claims without backing them up properly; as is the case in a lot of these debates regarding what's harmful and what isn't.

There's a lot of stuff that's theoretically harmful but I would refrain from calling something truthful before there's enough evidence to back the claim.

Let's put it this way. The same amount of effort you're spending to convince yourself that grains aren't bad for you...have you found any science that says they are GOOD for you? Because there is tons of data that says it's bad. Like all of it. If you can find a recent study that says grains are good for you than it'd be an interesting read.

...and don't cite anything the USDA uses to back up it's shitty recommendations, as they've been proven to be based on cherry-picked data and falsified by more recent studies.

It just feels like you're willing to brush aside the recent scientific studies because it's inconvenient for you or something.

If reading isn't your thing you could watch the documentary "Fat Head" on Netflix. Goes into the history of why everyone has been told to eat large amounts of grains and why it's all crap.

Edit: Sorry to be coming off a bit harshly, but I don't like that you seemingly don't want to hear the truth when it's presented to you. I don't think anyone informed on the matter would call it anything other than "the truth".

Nephix

Let's put it this way. The same amount of effort you're spending to convince yourself that grains aren't bad for you...have you found any science that says they are GOOD for you? Because there is tons of data that says it's bad. Like all of it. If you can find a recent study that says grains are good for you than it'd be an interesting read.

...and don't cite anything the USDA uses to back up it's shitty recommendations, as they've been proven to be based on cherry-picked data and falsified by more recent studies.

It just feels like you're willing to brush aside the recent scientific studies because it's inconvenient for you or something.

If reading isn't your thing you could watch the documentary "Fat Head" on Netflix. Goes into the history of why everyone has been told to eat large amounts of grains and why it's all crap.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/141/5/1011S.full

Edit: I feel like we're going to far away from the subject the thread is about though, so maybe we should call it quits.

Edit#2: Also, you're not coming off as being harsh; rather you're just stating your firm opinion on the matter. Nothing wrong with that by all means, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

I have been trying to get serious about weight loss for a few months now, but I haven't committed like I need to. I'm 5' 11" and weigh 255 lbs. Now that the holidays are over I'm going to take another stab at it. My main problem is that I am an extremely picky eater. I don't like any raw vegetables (so salads are out), and I only like a few cooked ones: beans, peas, corn, carrots and potatoes. I'll eat tomatoes in sauce form. I like about the same number of fruits. I'll eat just about anything else though. So I have no idea what my diet should be. When I am "on the wagon" I try to eat lots of fish (mainly salmon) and chicken, nuts, the fruits and vegetables I actually like and whole grain stuff (bread, pasta, rice and oats). Every time I read this thread though, I see people arguing about whether grains are actually good for you or not, so I have no idea if I should be eating them. Considering my distaste for so many vegetables I figure I am better off eating grains than not. It's all so confusing and complicated, and this thread (and the internet in general) is full of conflicting information, so I am not sure what the best course to take is. At least exercise is easy.

Frog

One issue with studies of people who eat whole grains is that they generallly eat them instead of refined grains. There is the possibility that the benefits researchers see from the whole grain group in a study (like lower incidence of disease, lower average BMI, etc) may be caused by the reduction of refined grain intake, rather than the increase in whole grain intake. It could be that whole grains are only less unhealthy than refined grains, rather than being beneficial. Would we see the same benefits or more in groups that didn't eat grains at all?

Keylime

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/141/5/1011S.full

Edit: I feel like we're going to far away from the subject the thread is about though, so maybe we should call it quits.

First, your study was funded by General Mills and references the government prescribed diet (which is based on cherry-picked and bad science).

Second:
In summary, whole grains have higher phytonutrient content and antioxidant activity than refined grains. Refined wheat flour loses 83% of total phenolic acids, 79% of total flavonoids, 93% of ferulic acid, 78% of total zeaxanthin, 51% of total lutein, and 42% of total &#946;-cryptoxanthin compared with whole wheat flour (16). Further research on the health benefits of whole grain phytochemicals, their bioavailability, effects of processing on their physiological effects, and amounts in whole grain products is warranted

This says "whole grains are better than refined grains".

Third:
In summary, the current evidence among a predominantly Caucasian population suggests that consuming 3 or more servings of whole grains per day is associated with lower BMI, lower abdominal adiposity, and trends toward lower weight gain over time. However, intervention studies have been inconsistent regarding weight loss. As recommendations are made to incorporate whole grain foods into the diet, it will be important to emphasize replacing refined grain foods with nutrient-dense, whole grain foods rather than adding more food; this will ensure that energy balance is maintained. Further research is needed to examine the relationship between whole grain intake and abdominal adiposity or weight gain in ethnic minority groups, children, and adolescents. Additionally, there is a need for longer term dietary intervention and metabolic studies in both healthy and obese adults to better understand the mechanisms of action and relationships among whole grain intake, regulation of body weight, and adiposity

This is a bunch of back-pedaling bullshit that is when you read it is the least conclusive conclusion I've ever seen. "According to a couple studies, grains are totally OK. We think there needs to be a crapload more research on the matter to see if that's really true or not, but these two studies definitely say so..." The line "trends towards lower weight gain over time" is like calling increased taxes, tax revenue. People gain weight more slowly on whole grains! Sweet!

Fourth:
In summary, the current scientific evidence is strong and consistent to suggest that whole grains have a beneficial effect on CVD risk reduction. Further research is needed to better understand the mechanism of action and the impact of the various components of whole grains on CVD risk reduction

In summary, there is some data that shows there is some measurable improvement on the risk reduction of CVD when consuming whole grains. Softball conclusion. And further research is again needed to confirm and understand.

In summary, dietary patterns characterized by refined carbohydrates may adversely affect metabolic intermediates and such a diet may increase the risk of vascular diseases, such as diabetes and CHD, especially among individuals prone to insulin resistance. To lower disease risk and improve vascular health outcomes, it is imperative to replace refined grains with whole grains to improve glucose homeostasis. Future research needs to examine the interactions not only among different dietary factors but also between diet and genetic predisposition and between diet and metabolic determinants, such as physical activity. It will be important to conduct randomized intervention trials of sufficient size and length to further elucidate the role of whole grains and associated components in diabetes risk reduction

This shit is horrifying. They outright admit that grains are shitty and cause type 2 diabetes, but then say whole grains are better than refined grains so we should start telling people to eat those instead.

Nevermind that whole grains are also shitty...but hey, they are less shitty!

Man, that whole paper really bums me out. That is shit science through and through. Before you google me another shitty study, please read the science of what actually happens in your body when you introduce carbohydrates and how it interacts with insulin.

There is nothing controversial or subjective about how your body reacts to the introduction of carbohydrates in the body. It should be clear once you understand how it works that excess carbohydrates are bad, and carbs that are high glycemic are worse.

I have been trying to get serious about weight loss for a few months now, but I haven't committed like I need to. I'm 5' 11" and weigh 255 lbs. Now that the holidays are over I'm going to take another stab at it. My main problem is that I am an extremely picky eater. I don't like any raw vegetables (so salads are out), and I only like a few cooked ones: beans, peas, corn, carrots and potatoes. I'll eat tomatoes in sauce form. I like about the same number of fruits. I'll eat just about anything else though. So I have no idea what my diet should be. When I am "on the wagon" I try to eat lots of fish (mainly salmon) and chicken, nuts, the fruits and vegetables I actually like and whole grain stuff (bread, pasta, rice and oats). Every time I read this thread though, I see people arguing about whether grains are actually good for you or not, so I have no idea if I should be eating them. Considering my distaste for so many vegetables I figure I am better off eating grains than not. It's all so confusing and complicated, and this thread (and the internet in general) is full of conflicting information, so I am not sure what the best course to take is. At least exercise is easy.
Read "Why We Get Fat". The science of how your body works is not up for debate. If you read that book you can draw your own conclusions rather decisively.

It feels like I'm arguing with people that evolution is real when we talk about this stuff.

Your body stores fat when there is a flood of carbs in your system. Your body burns fat when there is a low level of carbs in your system. That's a simplification of what's actually going on, but there is no "opinion" on what is going on in your body.

Edit: Also, exercise is the least efficient method of weight loss...however there are other great benefits to exercise. Not at all knocking exercise, but there are people out there who exercise their asses off and get frustrated when the weight doesn't come flying off.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There's plenty of evidence out there that shows that grains (wheat in particular) are not good for human consumption if they can be avoided.

Hell, just the fact that a piece of bread will spike your blood sugar and cause insulin response much higher than most candy bars should be reason enough to be wary of the stuff.

There's also all of the antinutrient stuff, as well. I really recommend people take a look at the book Wheat Belly. Lots of good information in there about wheat in particular.

Even exercise can be detrimental to weight loss if you don't have a plan. (not that the physical act of exercise will cause you to get fat, but it may lead you to eating more)

You really owe it to yourself to spend a few days doing research. There's a lot of conflicting information out there because there isn't a whole lot of science going on in the field of nutrition, unfortunately. I was in a similar position as you at the beginning of last year (225 lbs and 5'11"), but by November of 2011 I was down to 155 lbs, and now I'm around 150 lbs.

Whatever you end up doing, just make sure it's sustainable indefinitely. You really should be looking at this as a permanent lifestyle change, not a quick fix to lose weight.

The three books that influenced (and inspired?) me the most are these:

Why We Get Fat
The Primal Blueprint
Wheat Belly

I also recommend reading the articles over at Mark's Daily Apple and checking out his 'primal' lifestyle.

cbox

I'm sorry but if you want to lose weight you're gonna have to man up and acquire a taste for vegetables and fruits. When I was heavier I had the same attitude and never ate them. When I dropped all my weight I learned to love veggies and now I can't live without them. If you go into something with the attitude of "no I won't do this" then don't be surprised if it fails.

Plus veggies cooked the right was taste better than any fast food. I made a pesto and roasted veggie mix and it was orgasmic.

I'm sorry but if you want to lose weight you're gonna have to man up and acquire a taste for vegetables and fruits. When I was heavier I had the same attitude and never ate them.

I'd love, but vegetables I don't like literally make me gag uncontrollably. It sucks, but I'm not sure what I could do about it. It's not like I try a salad and am like, "No thanks I'd rather have a cheeseburger." It's an ordeal. I blame my dad, he is pickier than I am.

Also, a review at skeptic.com convinced me to go ahead and check out Why We Get Fat: http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/11-01-05/

Nephix

I'd love, but vegetables I don't like literally make me gag uncontrollably. It sucks, but I'm not sure what I could do about it. It's not like I try a salad and am like, "No thanks I'd rather have a cheeseburger." It's an ordeal. I blame my dad, he is pickier than I am.

Also, a review at skeptic.com convinced me to go ahead and check out Why We Get Fat: http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/11-01-05/

You don't have to eat vegetables and fruits to lose weight. I have lost a lot of weight and I have a good heart rate, normal blood sugar levels and I rarely, if ever, get sick; all that without eating a bunch of fruit or vegetables although I do eat some vegetables for lunch since I love all vegetables and fruit ( actually, I can't think of anything I won't eat ). They're just not an integral part of my diet.

Also, contrary to what people around here want you to believe, you won't die from eating oatmeal or rye bread and your blood sugar won't do any crazy spike depending on what kind of bread you consume. The main thing is having a caloric balance and then if you're not having enough vitamins or minerals, just use a supplement if that's an issue.

There is nothing controversial or subjective about how your body reacts to the introduction of carbohydrates in the body. It should be clear once you understand how it works that excess carbohydrates are bad, and carbs that are high glycemic are worse.

I honestly don't think it matters whether I actually link any further studies into how grain might be healthy in some ways since you have obviously decided not to trust anything except that grains are bad.
Also, yeah, excess carbohydrates are bad, everyone knows that, maybe you should get off your high horse instead of trying to convince people just because you read a book and became a "master" on the subject.
Grain/bread won't magically give you excess carbohydrates in a controlled diet and whole wheat bread/rye bread consisting of slow carbs wont spike any blood sugar levels.

SeanR1221

And as a counter to why we get fat

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ave-doubts-about-gary-taubess-why-we-get-fat/

I think it states pretty clearly what I've been trying to say here from the beginning. Suggesting one method as the only method is pretty foolish.

I can cite myself when I dropped 50 pounds eating cereal for breakfast and turkey sandwiches at lunch on a low fat diet.

Anecdotally, all of my friends are in excellent shape. They exercise consistently and have never once counted a carb.

Top Bottom