• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm doing the weight loss challenge in the other thread here so figured I'd post here too. Today I weighed myself at 227 lbs. I am going for 195 or less. Here is my before shot so I don't lose it (don't mind the messy mirror or myspace style shot :p ):

IMG_20111212_063942.jpg

Hopefully the after shot looks different!

All I need to do (with help from you all) is to plan out some cheap healthy meals for weeknights. Right now I have eggs/turkey bacon, and chicken breast/broccoli. Suggestions?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm doing the weight loss challenge in the other thread here so figured I'd post here too. Today I weighed myself at 227 lbs. I am going for 195 or less. Here is my before shot so I don't lose it (don't mind the messy mirror or myspace style shot :p ):

All I need to do (with help from you all) is to plan out some cheap healthy meals for weeknights. Right now I have eggs/turkey bacon, and chicken breast/broccoli. Suggestions?

How about some real bacon? Turkey bacon is so awful (and this is from someone who likes turkey sausage).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How about some real bacon? Turkey bacon is so awful (and this is from someone who likes turkey sausage).

Well I could never get 100% low carb, I always tried to just cut out some bad carbs here and there rather than trying to stay under 25g or whatever, real bacon has a good amount of fat, which can be fine. I get so many mixed opinions from gaf. :p

Are eggs bad to have to many of? I usually have 3 meals on weeknights be eggs and some kind of meat and veggies (tuna or turkey bacon normally). Should I cut down?

spicy cho

Current weight: 170
Goal: 150
height: 5ft 11

I'm gonna try and get there in 2-3 months. Took my before pics, now it's time to get to work. This thread is great.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
And as a counter to why we get fat

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ave-doubts-about-gary-taubess-why-we-get-fat/

I think it states pretty clearly what I've been trying to say here from the beginning. Suggesting one method as the only method is pretty foolish.

I can cite myself when I dropped 50 pounds eating cereal for breakfast and turkey sandwiches at lunch on a low fat diet.

Anecdotally, all of my friends are in excellent shape. They exercise consistently and have never once counted a carb.

And I'm willing to bet that your friends are likely eating fairly well and/or exercising a very high amount.

Again, what your body does upon the introduction of carbohydrates isn't really up for debate. At least I'm not seeing anyone try and debate it. If you understand the interaction of insulin, carbohydrates and fat storage and can still tell me that losing considerable fat is possible while consuming heavy amounts of carbs, I'm all ears. I've just never seen it, and no one here has produced anything to make the case either.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well I could never get 100% low carb, I always tried to just cut out some bad carbs here and there rather than trying to stay under 25g or whatever, real bacon has a good amount of fat, which can be fine. I get so many mixed opinions from gaf. :p

Are eggs bad to have to many of? I usually have 3 meals on weeknights be eggs and some kind of meat and veggies (tuna or turkey bacon normally). Should I cut down?

You need good fats. Dietary fat also doesn't make you fat. At all. There's no evidence to suggest it does.

Cutting out bad carbs is a good idea, but I don't think you need to pay attention to the number so much. For example, don't be afraid of going over 50g of carbs if they are mostly coming from vegetables like broccoli.

Regarding eggs, too much of anything is bad (which is why we say 'too much'), but I don't think you should care unless you're eating more than a dozen a day or something.

And I'm willing to bet that your friends are likely eating fairly well and/or exercising a very high amount.

Again, what your body does upon the introduction of carbohydrates isn't really up for debate. At least I'm not seeing anyone try and debate it. If you understand the interaction of insulin, carbohydrates and fat storage and can still tell me that losing considerable fat is possible while consuming heavy amounts of carbs, I'm all ears. I've just never seen it, and no one here has produced anything to make the case either.

Oh, it's possible. Assuming you are extremely active and/or have an amazing metabolism.

SeanR1221

I don't take issues with saying you shouldn't eat massive amounts of carbs in a day. I take issue with basically telling people here they can't even have a sandwich.

LosDaddie

Banned
You know WeightLoss-GAF is back from the holidays when there's some wheat/grains/carb-demonizing going on. :)

Anyway, I had a bad, diet-wise, New Years 3-day weekend and I don't even want to look at the weight scale now. :lol But hey, it was great hanging out with friends, drinking a lot of beers and going out for late night snacks.

Back to the swing of things now....

whats the opinion on bread guys? i stopped eating white bread but whats the deal with Multi-grain bread or 7 grain bread? good or bad?

Depends on how much bread you plan on eating.

Moderate/small amounts of bread are fine, especially if you're exercising (which I highly recommend to compliment your diet). My typical lunch during the work-week includes a sandwich with bread (2 slices, of course) along with fruit & a veggie. One, or two, of my dinners always have some pasta with them. And I have a weekly Cheat Day.

Know what? I've kept pace for over 6mos now, losing 1-2 lbs a week ( 31 lbs lost total ). But yes, I do recommend eliminating carbs where you can, and eating more fruits & veggies. It definitely helps.

It's all so confusing and complicated, and this thread (and the internet in general) is full of conflicting information,

Indeed.
As I've said here before, this thread is an excellent case study as to why there are many, many differing voices in weight loss methods.

Keylime

I don't take issues with saying you shouldn't eat massive amounts of carbs in a day. I take issue with basically telling people here they can't even have a sandwich.

I've been trying to keep my statements with "excess" in mind. I said a piece of bread isn't going to kill you of course, but to pretend like it's a good thing to eat is lying to yourself.

Just like I can still lose a significant amount of weight if I ate a Butterfinger everyday, I could lose a significant amount of weight if I ate some bread everyday. Doesn't make it a good choice or prove that it's helping the cause. Just that you can do it.

"Can I eat a piece of toast and still lose weight?" Of course
"Can I eat toast, pasta, cereal and still lose weight" Yeah...but you're going to have to restrict your calories and workout and probably will have less than ideal health despite your loss of weight.

Not trying to demonize carbs in general, but pretending like grains are quality food worthy of including as part of your regular diet isn't being honest with yourself.

What foods are low in calories and filling?

edit: holy shit, I have an entire can of corn that only has 210 calories!
Corn is a grain and not a vegetable and should be avoided.

Carrots are super filling but they aren't exactly the most fun thing to eat, either.

I've been trying to keep my statements with "excess" in mind. I said a piece of bread isn't going to kill you of course, but to pretend like it's a good thing to eat is lying to yourself.

Just like I can still lose a significant amount of weight if I ate a Butterfinger everyday, I could lose a significant amount of weight if I ate some bread everyday. Doesn't make it a good choice or prove that it's helping the cause. Just that you can do it.

"Can I eat toast, pasta, cereal and still lose weight" Yeah...but you're going to have to restrict your calories and workout and probably will have less than ideal health despite your loss of weight.

Not trying to demonize carbs in general, but pretending like grains are quality food worthy of including as part of your regular diet isn't being honest with yourself.

Carrots are super filling but they aren't exactly the most fun thing to eat, either.

o gaddamit wat the fuck, rice is a grain right? so I shouldn't it rice? what's a good substitute?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Of course you can have a sandwich. You can have a beer, or some nachos, cake, candy bars, hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, etc. too.

All of that is going to slow your weight loss progress and be detrimental to your overall health in varying degrees compared to better alternatives, though.

o gaddamit wat the fuck, rice is a grain right? so I shouldn't it rice? what's a good substitute?

Yes, rice is a grain. It's not as bad as wheat, but if you must have it, go for brown or wild rice, and/or reduce the amount you consume.

Better yet, drop the idea that you need to have some starchy carbohydrate staple with every meal.

dralla

carrots and hummus is basically the best thing ever. that's what I replaced my chips with. the quartet hummus platter from trader joes is so cheap, and lasts a while. the garlic one isn't great though, but damn the red pepper is sex in my mouth. I will be going their tomorrow to pick up some more, ran out last night

Of course you can have a sandwich. You can have a beer, or some nachos, cake, candy bars, hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, etc. too.

All of that is going to slow your weight loss progress and be detrimental to your overall health in varying degrees compared to better alternatives, though.

Yes, rice is a grain. It's not as bad as wheat, but if you must have it, go for brown or wild rice, and/or reduce the amount you consume.

Better yet, drop the idea that you need to have some starchy carbohydrate staple with every meal.
so just eat some mixed veggies with mah meat?

Keylime

Heck yeah, man!

Roasted brocolli with olive oil and salt + pepper. Buttered asparagus. Cauliflower and with melted cheese. Meat and veggies are the best.

dralla

melt some cheese on your veggies. or a garlic butter sauce. dip them in hummus. i have cheese covered brocoli almost every night and i love it. if you want something starchy instead of pasta, you can try butternut squash baked in olive oil, a little salt and cinnamon.

than there's sweet potatoes, even though are very starchy, the are unique, they actually help stabilize blood sugar levels. i don't have them much, but it's another option to have once in a while.

veggies in general are only as boring and tasteless as you want them to be.

Heck yeah, man!

Roasted brocolli with olive oil and salt + pepper. Buttered asparagus. Cauliflower and with melted cheese. Meat and veggies are the best.

All i got are a few cans of green beans.

melt some cheese on your veggies. or a garlic butter sauce. dip them in hummus. i have cheese covered brocoli almost every night and i love it. if you want something starchy instead of pasta, you can try butternut squash baked in olive oil, a little salt and cinnamon.

than there's sweet potatoes, even though are very starchy, the are unique, they actually help stabilize blood sugar levels. i don't have them much, but it's another option to have once in a while.
isn't putting melted cheese over it bad?

Keylime

Green beans with a little bit of salt are good, too...and it's not like you can't go out and buy more. It's not like you're dieting just for a day or two!

Brocolli is my favorite because they sop up all the sauces and seasonings you throw at them so they taste super great. They're also super nutrient rich which is another plus :p

Having a salad with spinach leaves as the base is another great way to get your deep greens.

Cheese is one of those things that you shouldn't go nuts with, but you can certainly eat. Not all cheese is created equal, either...but in general having a little melted cheese on your veggies is going to be better than replacing those green veggies with something like mashed potatoes or rice.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I recommend you venture into the world of whole vegetables and try out a few recipes using them. Canned and frozen veggies aren't very appealing to me.

dtrack

I think what he is trying to say that it is more unhealthy to attempt doing low carb and eating bread etc. And I agree with that, the point of low carb is to induce ketosis, I'm sure as hell eating bread, rice, grains sure as hell won't help.

In terms of nutrients, you are much better getting those from vegetables rather from grains. Grains can provide fibre but little other positive nutrients.
I've done calorie counting and ate bread/low fat. I did lose weight, but I was always constantly hungry, I'd have poor concentration and would always think about food. Low carb doesn't have these side effects for me.

However, everyone is different. The above only really applies to if you're trying to lose fat.
Carbs from bread/fruit are ok in my opinion if you lead an active lifestyle, you'll end up burning those carbs and not storing them.

The truth is that any kind of diet will probably be deficient in essential minerals and nutrients, I'd recommend taking supplements regardless.

It's anecdotal, but I noticed my weight loss really took off after I stopped eating bread all grains all together.

But I was eating quite a bit prior to the weight loss. 2 toast in the morning, sandwiches in the afternoon and a bun with a burger or bread with whatever meal I had in the evening.

SeanR1221

Anyone new to veggies in their diet, may I suggest a steamer? I got one from Costco for Christmas and my green beans and brocolli taste so good now. I season them a little, let them sit and come back in 5-10 minutes.

Kraftwerk

Anyone have a link to a diet. My criteria is that I want to completely remove grains from my life. I want to just be on meat/fish, fruits and veggies. Just want to see a diet-plan, so I can add some variety to my eating. I lack imagination when it comes to food.

Anyone have a link to a diet. My criteria is that I want to completely remove grains from my life. I want to just be on meat/fish, fruits and veggies. Just want to see a diet-plan, so I can add some variety to my eating. I lack imagination when it comes to food.

I found this site be a lifesaver when I decided to drop grains,

http://www.grainfreeliving.com/home

And this site is pretty decent for recipes and food ideas,

http://paleofood.com/

Kraftwerk

I found this site be a lifesaver when I decided to drop grains,

http://www.grainfreeliving.com/home

And this site is pretty decent for recipes and food ideas,

http://paleofood.com/

Thank you, will look through that.

The hardest thing for me so far, is removing cereal. When I wake up, I automatically go to the cereal box. Another thing for me is snacks. I'm used to super healthy snacks, but they all involve some forms of grain(s). I have been chomping on carrots the past few days instead.

Hopefully these guides will help. I still have my christmas bonus check, and I'm gonna blow it all on a lifestyle change.

BE GONE GRAINS!

Keylime

You pretty much just described the Primal Diet or Paleo Diet.

There are tons of Primal and Paleo cookbooks around, but in general if you Google for those diets online you'll find a ton of great stuff.

Not aware of a specific guide...as in "day 1, eat this this this and this...day 2, eat this this this and this"...but with the cookbooks out there you could just pick and choose meals out of them and make them.

One of the nice things about eating this way is that you don't really need to concern yourself with picking and choosing the right combinations of meals for a day. Eating the right kinds of foods and not continuing to eat when you feel full is all you need to reach your goals.

dtrack

Being creative with your food really does help! :D

I just had a home made low carb chocolate mousse for a snack. 5 grams of net carbs for a single portion. Not hard to make at all :p

I'll be making making fried mushrooms and green beans using butter, garlic salt, a pinch of paprika powder and have it with cream cheese. Delicious. Might chuck in a piece of chicken in there too :D

_Isaac

IMG_20111212_063942.jpg

You're looking good already, but I hope you do great. What thread is this challenge taking place in?

Kraftwerk

You pretty much just described the Primal Diet or Paleo Diet.

There are tons of Primal and Paleo cookbooks around, but in general if you Google for those diets online you'll find a ton of great stuff.

Not aware of a specific guide...as in "day 1, eat this this this and this...day 2, eat this this this and this"...but with the cookbooks out there you could just pick and choose meals out of them and make them.

One of the nice things about eating this way is that you don't really need to concern yourself with picking and choosing the right combinations of meals for a day. Eating the right kinds of foods and not continuing to eat when you feel full is all you need to reach your goals.

Thanks. This 2 week Diet plan in your link is perfect.

I am already a very healthy person, but as I said earlier, I just want to be grain free.

Besides, civilization is going to collapse soon, so I need my body to be prepared to live without cereal and rice :D

harSon

Banned
I pretty much eat the same thing everyday:

Breakfast: Pork Trifecta (2 sausage, 2 pieces of bacon and 2 eggs with pork chorizo)

Lunch:

1. Piece of chicken, pork chop, italian sausage, steak, etc. + a vegetable which is typically steamed broccoli, broccoli + cauliflower or a salad w/ baby romaine lettuce, cucumbers, a few grape tomatoes, parmesean cheese and some low carb dressing.

OR

2. A stir fry I make from some frozen vegetables and cut up chicken, beef or shrimp. I add some stir fry seasoning, a serving of oyster sauce and Sri Racha sauce.

Dinner: Whichever option I don't have for lunch, I'll have for dinner using a different type of meat.

I drink nothing but water, although I'll have the occasional Diet Coke if I go out or something. I typically snack on a Peanut/Flaxseed Butter that I purchase from Trader Joes, it has 2-3 Net Carbs for a serving.

OG Kush

Reading posts about people here not liking veggies has made me go wtf? Stop acting like your 5 years old and eat that shit!

dtrack

Being creative with your food really does help! :D

I just had a home made low carb chocolate mousse for a snack. 5 grams of net carbs for a single portion. Not hard to make at all :p

I'll be making making fried mushrooms and green beans using butter, garlic salt, a pinch of paprika powder and have it with cream cheese. Delicious. Might chuck in a piece of chicken in there too :D

Made it! Chucked in two cherry tomatoes and two of my home made chicken burger patties cooked in olive oil.

Delicious.

windz

Going to be hopping on the weight loss train! I am 6'3" and 257 lbs. Weighed myself yesterday. Three years ago I was at 200-205lbs...so yeah, I've been putting it on over the years. I remember when I'd tell myself "I'll never let myself go above 220" - yeah...about that lol.

No real good excuse for the weight gain, just laziness/not caring/putting junk into my body and not taking care of myself. Also helps not working as a prep cook anymore - the amount of delicious food (although horrible for me) I had access to and could eat on a daily basis was ridiculous. Really looking forward to starting, and this thread is good inspiration.

I plan to do a low carb diet with lots of veggies/fruits/meat/fish. Mmmm, meat. And some light cardio to start...I'm so out of shape.

I'll find a recent pic to post for comparison sake later on.

Edited for goal: 200lbs.

Keylime

Going to be hopping on the weight loss train! I am 6'3" and 257 lbs. Weighed myself yesterday. Three years ago I was at 200-205lbs...so yeah, I've been putting it on over the years. I remember when I'd tell myself "I'll never let myself go above 220" - yeah...about that lol.

No real good excuse for the weight gain, just laziness/not caring/putting junk into my body and not taking care of myself. Also helps not working as a prep cook anymore - the amount of delicious food (although horrible for me) I had access to and could eat on a daily basis was ridiculous. Really looking forward to starting, and this thread is good inspiration.

I plan to do a low carb diet with lots of veggies/fruits/meat/fish. Mmmm, meat.

I'll find a recent pic to post for comparison sake later on.

Sounds like you've got a good plan, and are pretty similar to where I was when I started (6'1" and 254 pounds). Taking progress pictures is really important because when I swore I looked the same as I always did, the pictures showed that it was clearly not the case.

Best of luck, man!

dtrack

looking good son. got a recipe for that low carb mousse?

Sure :)

Ingredients:

300ml of unsweetened or low in sugar whipping cream (not from an aerosol can, get it from a carton in liquid form)
1 Tablespoon of Unsweetened/Sugar Free cocoa powder
2 Tablespoons of Splenda

Put all the ingredients into a bowl, use an electronic whisk to mix all ingredients until it becomes a mousse. Have it straight away or put the mix in a container and put it in a refrigerator.

Should make a total of 11g total net carbs. Have it in small portions throughout the week as a reward.

Easy :p

Bealost

I'd love, but vegetables I don't like literally make me gag uncontrollably. It sucks, but I'm not sure what I could do about it. It's not like I try a salad and am like, "No thanks I'd rather have a cheeseburger." It's an ordeal. I blame my dad, he is pickier than I am.

Also, a review at skeptic.com convinced me to go ahead and check out Why We Get Fat: http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/11-01-05/

I wasn't impressed by the review of it. This statement kind of confused me.

While it is true that in order to gain weight we must eat more calories than we expend, the first law explains nothing about causality: it does not explain why we overeat.

He is basically admitting that we need to eat more calories than we expend to gain weight. But is arguing for the entire book that the inverse of that statement is not true? While I agree that making poor food choices makes it considerably easier to overeat, I also disagree with someone who says you can eat as much as you want as long as it is "whole foods" and no carbs. The problem I have with that statement is that no matter how well I eat, If I eat carbs (even healthy ones like beans) they can use it as an argument to void the validity of my entire diet if I fail to lose weight, not only that they would say you ate xxx so of course you didn't lose weight, that is ridiculous and makes a diet even harder to adhere to.

I'm going to pick out a few more quotes from the review that reference parts of the book. Because based on the review I won't be getting it.

For some, exercise is something we do in a gym, or on a track, or at a sporting venue. While many of us work in sedentary occupations, domestics, gardeners, construction workers and other physical laborers get plenty of exercise as a normal part of their jobs. Taubes points out that, 1) many of the jobs involving physical activity are done by the poor and disadvantaged and, 2) many of these people are still fat. So, if physical activity is the key to staying lean, why do the poor tend to be more obese? This is another argument against the calories-in/calories-out hypothesis.

He conveniently leaves out the fact that more that 80% of construction workers eat absolutely terribly. Every construction job I've had (I've done everything from utility work, to installing fences, and digging foundations for houses) my coworkers and I basically sustained ourselves on things like subs, pizza, and fast food. With most of the other people adding a 6-pack beer on top of that almost daily. I was always pretty active and always overweight. Once I stopped eating so much garbage food, my weight just melted away. To say that they are overweight because they are active is ridiculous.

Why, he asks, would someone voluntarily subject themselves to the opprobrium, and the debilitating effects, of obesity?

Because its the easiest thing in the world to do, and if you are given the excuse of your genetics you have no reason to try to change.

Basically, when insulin increases fat is stored; when insulin decreases, fat is released. If we keep our insulin levels low, fat will be burned.

That statement is technically correct, but made in a disingenuous way. Insulin regulates the storage of energy in the body. This is true, but the body stores energy in muscle as well as fat. Anybody who is trying to build muscle naturally knows that they need to cause insulin spikes at the correct times (right after a workout) to promote muscle gain.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...advantage_how_to_bulk_and_cut_on_the_same_day
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/insulin-levels-and-fat-loss-qa.html

The Pima are just one example of several populations that Taubes references who became fat despite (or because of?) poverty, and despite the absence of the several factors we assume are making us fat today.

Population became poor, was forced to eat refined carbs, they became fat.. This is noteworthy? No one is saying that you should be living of refined carbs.

I'll continue to eat the occasional sandwich and my oatmeal pancakes and I'll continue to get leaner. Thanks anyways.

cbox

I'd love, but vegetables I don't like literally make me gag uncontrollably. It sucks, but I'm not sure what I could do about it. It's not like I try a salad and am like, "No thanks I'd rather have a cheeseburger." It's an ordeal. I blame my dad, he is pickier than I am.

Also, a review at skeptic.com convinced me to go ahead and check out Why We Get Fat: http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/11-01-05/

How are you eating your veggies?

Top Bottom