• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

chumps

This is a fun topic for me. Sometimes I wish my appearance ‘lined up’ with my interest in the topic but, well, whatever.

So you know where I’m coming from, I’ve read Taubes, Cordain, Rippetoe, various Paleo blogs and books, and in the end If I had to recommend two resources they would be:

http://archevore.com by Kurt Harris
http://leangains.com by Martin Berkhan

For people that are significantly overweight, I think diet is the single most important thing. Eliminating and reducing sugar and refined foods, mostly. Kurt’s list is a great starting point. Whether it’s insulin response or the spontanous caloric reduction that happens with smarter eating, it works and you don’t have to count calories and think too much.

At some point, however, one reaches a set-point that probably is a few pounds over one’s “ideal”. I think you could live your whole life low carb or very low carb and eat very healthy and still have a little pouch.

At that point, I think some kind of caloric deficit is vital. At least to promote furthur weight loss, and perhaps even establish (highly theoretical) a new set point. Intermittent fasting is the most viable and, frankly, humane way to go about that in my opinion.

I don’t personally count calories with IF, and I’m sure I would have lost weight faster if I did. But, I don’t really want to at this point. Maybe if I’m at a point where I want to go from “ripped” to “shredded”. I skip breakfast and see, each day, how far I can go before I eat my first meal, which is large and satisfying if I’m at home or something small (2/3 boiled eggs) to tide me over for a big dinner if I’m out and about. I like having large amounts of time to myself without the interruption of food. I workout fasted, about every 3-4 days, and I eat as much carbs/meat as I can handle afterwards.

Like most people, I often fall in the trap of eating for emotional reward. I had terrible eating habits that were mostly some form of self soothing or another. Now, I still enjoy food, and there are days when I down some crappy food and think WTF 10 minutes later, but I don’t do it as much and the more I don’t do the better I’m getting about being mindful about food.

It’s personally been very helpful for me to be mindful of my hunger and cravings, perhaps waiting a few minutes that stretch into a few hours, or just waiting a few seconds and deciding to eat something, versus the mindless feeding that’s more the norm. I also try to eat without doing anything else like browsing the web or watching tv, which was a huge habit of mine. If I am aware enough to ask myself, how will I feel 10 minutes after I’ve eaten this thing I crave? Then usually I make the right decision. The right decision not just in terms of fitness or weightloss or health, but just the right decision in the most holistic sense. I just feel better.

When I do go off the rails, and binge on food, I don’t worry about the weight implications because, frankly, when you are eating well 99% of the time, 1% of shit food isn’t going to make any difference. But what it does indicate to me is that somethings not really right in my mind, and that it’s a crystal clear indicator to me that I need to address something in my life. In that way, it’s a very useful gauge.

I try to eat a lot of meat and fat. I eat a lot of “clean” starches like potatos and rice (i’m asian). I avoid sugar and plant oils. I tend to avoid grains but I can’t really tell if I’m gluten sensitive so I just eat it when it avails itself. I absolutely refuse to eat a Double Double without a bun, FWIW.

Exercise wise I think high intensity is wise, whether it’s lifting or HIIT (both is kinda hard). I also think walking is preferable over jogging. I like walking a lot. I also bike here and there.

I started out lifting with Starting Strength and a power rack and bench and all that, but I realized I don’t actually like lifting all that much. It’s loud and kind of a PITA. I do deadlifts (my favorite) and squats, but I got rid of the bench. I prefer gymnastics style body-weight exercises. A handstand is more satisfying to me than an over head press. As are pushups on rings vs benching. I recommend http://gymnasticbodies.com if that kinda thing sounds appealing to you. The book’s kinda pricey and crappily made but I have it and appreciate it. Being able to do an L-sit is (the point I'm at) is deeply satisfying. The forum’s really useful too.

I used to get really bummed out with lifting cause I kept injuring myself and progressing at such a low rate. But when I stopped trying to compare my anemic performance to certain numbers and ideals in my head (and cleaned up my form :), i found myself enjoying myself and progressing better.

Vipassana/mindfulness meditation has also been very helpful.

This got really long :eek:. I hope it’s helpful to someone. My point I guess is that even with all the info out there, it still boils down to what feels right for you. While I had an interest in this stuff, I didn’t want to think about it too much, and as a result I have what I have. I’ve personally never been as fit as I am right now, but I was starting from such a low point I feel like I’ve finally established a good starting point.

Mostly it's been an interesting thing to experience the body as something that cannot necessarily be controlled, but at least steered or directed or influenced. With addictions there's a strong victim mentality (AA for example—I'm not a fan) and just the idea of some kind of alternative is pretty neat.

I think this thread is really cool and it’s so nice to see people support each other and be kind to each other. Thanks.

Bealost

This is a fun topic for me. Sometimes I wish my appearance ‘lined up’ with my interest in the topic but, well, whatever.

Thanks for taking the time to type that out. Well informed and articulated points are always welcome! And it sounds like you'll get there no problem, just like the rest of us, by keeping at it!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I am getting groceries in an hour and have no idea what to get to eat all weekend. I'm looking at about 4 meals and I have no idea what to buy that is healthy and cheap.

I can manage during the week with chicken and eggs and things like that, but weekends are when I want something more substantial, yet can never find anything that looks good.

I don’t personally count calories with IF, and I’m sure I would have lost weight faster if I did. But, I don’t really want to at this point. Maybe if I’m at a point where I want to go from “ripped” to “shredded”. I skip breakfast and see, each day, how far I can go before I eat my first meal, which is large and satisfying if I’m at home or something small (2/3 boiled eggs) to tide me over for a big dinner if I’m out and about. I like having large amounts of time to myself without the interruption of food. I workout fasted, about every 3-4 days, and I eat as much carbs/meat as I can handle afterwards.

I think I'm going to start IF tomorrow morning. This past month or so I haven't really been hungry at all. It seems like I'm rather forcing myself to have breakfast and lunch. The other week I had to fast for a blood test (which came out great BTW) and it wasn't hard at all to abstain from eating until a little bit after noon. I woke up around 4:00am and went all the way to 2:00pm just fine. I think it's probably the low-carb diet's way of using fat for fuel more efficiently, I don't know, but IF seems doable now.

chumps

I think I'm going to start IF tomorrow morning. This past month or so I haven't really been hungry at all. It seems like I'm rather forcing myself to have breakfast and lunch. The other week I had to fast for a blood test (which came out great BTW) and it wasn't hard at all to abstain from eating until a little bit after noon. I woke up around 4:00am and went all the way to 2:00pm just fine. I think it's probably the low-carb diet's way of using fat for fuel more efficiently, I don't know, but IF seems doable now.

Sweet. I think it can easily go from doable to natural to why would you do it any other way.

That said, I've never been good about eating breakfast. So it fit me pretty well. I understand for breakfast mavens it may not be as simple.

Sweet. I think it can easily go from doable to natural to why would you do it any other way.

That said, I've never been good about eating breakfast. So it fit me pretty well. I understand for breakfast mavens it may not be as simple.

It's not like I'll miss my bacon and eggs, I'll just have them for a very late brunch. :)

Also, looks like the Resveratrol related science papers are getting retracted for fraud. I know it was over-hyped and all, but I didn't think there was also fraud related to it. HOW ARE THEY GONNA EXPLAIN AWAY THE FRENCH PARADOX???!!???!! (as well as the Swiss, Icelandic, etc.)

chumps

Low carnb+IF = even better results or bad idea?

Well, who knows.

For example, if you cut out sugars and grains completely and only ate rice and potatoes for carbs, it could be considered low carb because carbs are not THAT calorically dense. Measure out 500 calories of rice or something, it's quite a bit of food. For a post workout refeed a lot of people physically can't enough clean carbs so they eat more fruits and sugary foods. One of the lean gain clients has like 3 bowls of sugary cereal post workout and he's shredded. He also has a lotta muscle though. YMMV.

There are also a lot of issues of satiety to factor in. For instance it might help to eat carbs with your bacon and eggs just for a certain feeling of fullness. I can have 5 strips of bacon and 4 eggs and still somehow feel I didn't eat anything, and potentially overeat. A bit of rice and I'm stuffed. At the same time carbs have a lower satiety value over a long period of time, so eating plenty of protein and fat will curb cravings. Also there's the peace of mind of not having to obsess over a certain kind of food. If a piece of chocolate a night helps you feel less deprived, then maybe its not a terrible thing.
So...

I'm not a low carb fundamentalist because it's basically saying, I can do this one thing and not having to think anymore. Well, I think our bodies and minds are complex enough to deserve a little bit of thought, consideration, and experimentation.

I eat rice with everything. Azn to the max~~

BTW, coffee really helps initial hunger pangs, and tastes good.

Try experimenting with intermittent fasting, i.e. skipping breakfast. Then carbs aren't really a big deal (so long as they're not from sugars) because you are still at a caloric deficit.

I work out fasted (deadlifts/squats/bodyweight stuff) as it's more convenient and eat a lot on workout days and less on regular days.

Also you don't want to go too low carb cause you need them for a lot of regular bodily functions (like mucus production*) and without enough carbs your body will catabolize muscle.

*learned this the hard way and got massively sick and a lung infection.

Do you have any evidence to support this statement. It's not that I'm doubting you; it's just that I have been trying to find the answer to this for over a year to no avail. I have asked in this thread multiple times, but no one has been able to present any evidence. I am currently doing very low carb, and I am terrified of losing muscle. I have been lifting heavy weights and consuming a high level of protein to combat this, but I don't really know if that has any effect.

Chorazin

Stepped on the scale late last May at 325, stepped on it today at 274.4. Down 50 pounds and I feel great! I still have 75 to go but that's just a matter of time now. So happy today!

OG Kush

Ok I've been reading leangains, but theres so much information and articles I don't know where to start. Is there no just basic article on how to do this? Do you eat the same amount you would normally eat bu in the short time span? How many hours should I fast? Can i still take protein shake after workout while fasting?
Any links/information would help greatly, or just direct me where to look on that daily apple and lean gains site! thanks.

chumps

Ok I've been reading leangains, but theres so much information and articles I don't know where to start. Is there no just basic article on how to do this? Do you eat the same amount you would normally eat bu in the short time span? How many hours should I fast? Can i still take protein shake after workout while fasting?
Any links/information would help greatly, or just direct me where to look on that daily apple and lean gains site! thanks.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

It's intermittent fasting not fasting all the time.

Say your maintenance calories is 2000

Idea is you fast for a time on non-workout days, so you eat say 1500 cals.

On workout days, post workout especially, you stuff yourself with carbs and protein, with a total say of 2500 calories.

As long as you have more rest days than workout days (which you should arr) you will have a net caloric deficit and therefore no choice but to lose lbs, while hopefully not losing muscle or even gaining a bit.

chumps

Do you have any evidence to support this statement. It's not that I'm doubting you; it's just that I have been trying to find the answer to this for over a year to no avail. I have asked in this thread multiple times, but no one has been able to present any evidence. I am currently doing very low carb, and I am terrified of losing muscle. I have been lifting heavy weights and consuming a high level of protein to combat this, but I don't really know if that has any effect.

Tears, saliva, and mucus of the sinuses, airways, and gastrointestinal tract are all comprised substantially of glycoproteins called mucins. Mucins are primarily composed of sugar; they typically have a number of large sugar chains bound to a protein backbone. From: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=1077 (Not a research paper but i've read it before and seemed ok)

Water based lube is like carbs or something which is why it can promote yeast infections in women. Tastes sweet too.

I don't have a background in this stuff so I can't provide definitive proof. I do know I got horribly sick during a round of VLC and it lasted forever cause I was VLC through the sickness! lol...

The body and especially the brain DOES require a certain amount of glucose to operate. Nothing but glucose crosses the blood brain barrier. Zero carbers survive through gluceoneogenesis and glycogenolysis—the production of glucose through protein and glycogen. If you're doing a lot of exercising, carbs are important to restore glycogen.

GENERALLY, I think, the body is smart enough to want to use fat for fuel before its own muscles. This is why people on lean gains can have an net caloric deficit but still gain muscles... They are eating an excess of carbs post workout to facilitate recovery. It's not as efficient as pure bulking probably but a lot of people don't like getting fat, me included.

It's cool that the body can survive off VLC or ZC but consider eating more clean carbs and see how your weight reacts. I don't think VLC/ZC is all that healthy in the long run or that prudent. + carbs are cheaper than meat sources. Some cultures eat 90% starches and are lean, muscular dudes (katavans). It can also make you a crazy person dieter type. If you browse ZC and especially raw paleo forums you see a lot of talk about loose teeth—that just aint right.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

It's intermittent fasting not fasting all the time.

Say your maintenance calories is 2000

Idea is you fast for a time on non-workout days, so you eat say 1500 cals.

On workout days, post workout especially, you stuff yourself with carbs and protein, with a total say of 2500 calories.

As long as you have more rest days than workout days (which you should arr) you will have a net caloric deficit and therefore no choice but to lose lbs, while hopefully not losing muscle or even gaining a bit.
I read what you wrote, then checked the site that was linked. The site made it look like you just don't eat late into the night, and then don't eat till like noon or later the next day. I'm on low carb, so I don't count calories. How would this apply to low carb?

Orgen

I thought that was a real human leg and it freaked me out.

Nahhh, it's just a (very big) cat leg ;P

Wtf are you from spain? :D we have those here :D :D damn i love spanish ham *drools* although thats the normal type not "pata negra" lol i want some

Yep, I'm from Spain! And it's not pata negra, I know :( I'm not used to have always spanish ham like this but this Christmas my brother got 2 gifted and... nom nom nom I'll be buying one pata negra next Christmas for sure and more after knowing that the price is going to skyrocket next year or 2014 (like paying +150€ for one was cheap...).

Anyway, could anyone answer my HIIT questions please? Thanks!

Plasmid

Okay so i'm starting diet really soon, i've been going to the gym lately, losing around 200-300 calories a workout, i usually do cardio for about 20-30 minutes, i haven't started weights and probably won't until i get to 195.

I'm at 210 or so. My weight has been fluctuating a lot recently.

I don't know what diet to start though. Any tips?

e:

I've decided ill start doing weights, making my workouts about 45-65 minutes a day, 5 days a week.

Ripclawe

Banned
woot, dropped 2 pants sizes over the last 3 months. clothes shopping time! Doing a mix of Madcow 5x5 and cutting back on carbs to around 200 on workout days and 100-150 on rest days with 1gram per pound on protein (262) plus I am not worried on fats as much as I have tried to cut out processed foods and just use chicken and 85% ground beef or higher. Sugar is a problem but that is mostly from fruits .

Tears, saliva, and mucus of the sinuses, airways, and gastrointestinal tract are all comprised substantially of glycoproteins called mucins. Mucins are primarily composed of sugar; they typically have a number of large sugar chains bound to a protein backbone. From: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=1077 (Not a research paper but i've read it before and seemed ok)

Water based lube is like carbs or something which is why it can promote yeast infections in women. Tastes sweet too.

I don't have a background in this stuff so I can't provide definitive proof. I do know I got horribly sick during a round of VLC and it lasted forever cause I was VLC through the sickness! lol...

The body and especially the brain DOES require a certain amount of glucose to operate. Nothing but glucose crosses the blood brain barrier. Zero carbers survive through gluceoneogenesis and glycogenolysis—the production of glucose through protein and glycogen. If you're doing a lot of exercising, carbs are important to restore glycogen.

GENERALLY, I think, the body is smart enough to want to use fat for fuel before its own muscles. This is why people on lean gains can have an net caloric deficit but still gain muscles... They are eating an excess of carbs post workout to facilitate recovery. It's not as efficient as pure bulking probably but a lot of people don't like getting fat, me included.

It's cool that the body can survive off VLC or ZC but consider eating more clean carbs and see how your weight reacts. I don't think VLC/ZC is all that healthy in the long run or that prudent. + carbs are cheaper than meat sources. Some cultures eat 90% starches and are lean, muscular dudes (katavans). It can also make you a crazy person dieter type. If you browse ZC and especially raw paleo forums you see a lot of talk about loose teeth—that just aint right.

This is extremely interesting, chumps. Two years ago I was VLC for about 8 months and I read lots material from sites such as marksdailyapple.com and panu.com(now called archevore.com) that were against eating tubers and starchy carbohydrates. But now, authors from both of those sites have written blog entries saying that white rice isn't all that bad, and that tubers can be eaten. To me, it looks like they're taking a few steps back from their hardline position that these foods should not be eaten.

Two years ago, the author of archevore.com once wrote an extremely dismissive article about the kativans.

[link]http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2009/11/2/im-so-bored-with-the-kitavans.html[/link].

At the time, he was VLC. Now his regular diet also includes bananas, white rice, and sweet and white potatoes. He was forthright and blunt in his reasons: he felt healthier eating some starch foods and he thinks that they are ok since they have been eaten for thousands of years by people who live in good health. Pre-western diet Okinawans have eaten white rice for thousands of years and they walked the walk by having a large number of centenarians.

FYI: As I write this, I have been VLC for the past 3 weeks (less than 20 grams). Today, I ate a banana before my workout and I felt a lot better. Not having keto breath is always a bonus. I plan to start including sweet potatoes and white rice in my diet as a breakfast and post workout supplement to my protein intake. Not very much since I want to lose weight, but enough for me to not be in ketosis.

Here's what former VLC Kurt Harris has to say about white rice and potatoes.
http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2011/9/29/jimmy-moore-inquires-about-safe-starches.html

My list is white potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice and bananas. If more exotic fare like plantains and taro is available to you, that is fine, too. Except for white rice, these are all whole food starch sources with good mineral and micronutrient content that have been eaten in good health for thousands of years in many environments by genetically diverse populations. Many of these plants have spread far from their biomes of origin and serve as staples for populations who have adopted them with success over just the past few thousand years.

These starchy plant organs or vegetables are like night and day compared to most cereal grains, particularly wheat. One can eat more than half of calories from these safe starches without the risk of disease from phytates and mineral deficiencies one would have from relying on grains.

White rice is kind of a special case. It lacks the nutrients of root vegetables and starchy fruits like plantain and banana, but is good in reasonable quantities as it is a very benign grain that is easy to digest and gluten free.

Wiktor

I'm getting all four removed. I'm a pretty picky eater which is why I want to try out some things ahead of time so I wouldn't be completely miserable.

I didn't think about the seeds in strawberries. That sucks :(

Can't you just ask the doctor to saw the wounds up? They can do that and it's standard procedure when they're filling the empty space by bonegrowing powder. And even if they don't use the powder, with 4 teeth removed it might be worth considering that. Becuse if you screw up, you will get a dry hole and trust me, it's absolutely the last thing you would want to experience.

Bealost

Can't you just ask the doctor to saw the wounds up? They can do that and it's standard procedure when they're filling the empty space by bonegrowing powder. And even if they don't use the powder, with 4 teeth removed it might be worth considering that. Becuse if you screw up, you will get a dry hole and trust me, it's absolutely the last thing you would want to experience.

They definitely will suture them shut, but they are still vulnerable to certain things. My oral surgeon told to to stay away from straws and anything with small seeds. I'd say just go by what ur guy tells you.

mf.luder

I began my weight loss in early Dec. I think second week in. I am currently down 15lbs. And this is strictly through diet, I haven't touched weights yet. But plan on hitting the gym this week since some things have died down.

dralla

This is extremely interesting, chumps. Two years ago I was VLC for about 8 months and I read lots material from sites such as marksdailyapple.com and panu.com(now called archevore.com) that were against eating tubers and starchy carbohydrates. But now, authors from both of those sites have written blog entries saying that white rice isn't all that bad, and that tubers can be eaten. To me, it looks like they're taking a few steps back from their hardline position that these foods should not be eaten.

Two years ago, the author of archevore.com once wrote an extremely dismissive article about the kativans.

[link]http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2009/11/2/im-so-bored-with-the-kitavans.html[/link].

At the time, he was VLC. Now his regular diet also includes bananas, white rice, and sweet and white potatoes. He was forthright and blunt in his reasons: he felt healthier eating some starch foods and he thinks that they are ok since they have been eaten for thousands of years by people who live in good health. Pre-western diet Okinawans have eaten white rice for thousands of years and they walked the walk by having a large number of centenarians.

FYI: As I write this, I have been VLC for the past 3 weeks (less than 20 grams). Today, I ate a banana before my workout and I felt a lot better. Not having keto breath is always a bonus. I plan to start including sweet potatoes and white rice in my diet as a breakfast and post workout supplement to my protein intake. Not very much since I want to lose weight, but enough for me to not be in ketosis.

http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2011/9/29/jimmy-moore-inquires-about-safe-starches.html
Lately LC diets have begun to "evolve" from the traditional Atkins style of carb counting. Just as calorie counting is considered foolish because not all calories are created equal, carbs are the same way. Instead LC diets have begun to adopt a more paleo approach to carbs, allowing foods that are starchy to be eaten as long as they are real, natural foods. This is the type of diet I follow and have had great success. I couldn't imagine cutting out fruits are tuber veggies like carrots or the occasional sweet potatoes.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Dr Harris (archevore) reads Dr Guyenet's blog, and Guyenet has been discussing a lot of studies and recent work showing evidence that food reward distorts body fat homeostatis, and that processed carbs are a subset of food reward (though a very large part of it). If you have time I would read Guyenet's stuff. His job is researching the etiology of the obesity epidemic.

On the first day of IF I wanted to do 18/6, but instead I did 20/4 due to bad timing at a restaurant with friends. It was pretty easy to fast for the first 18 hours. I experienced no hunger until around the 18th/19th hour. I'm currently on day two and so far it is looking to be the same way.

chumps

partlycloudlike: I read Kurt's stuff back in the Panu days as well. Remember, his initial inspiration for blogging was reading Taubes's book. Over time I think his own natural, personal inclinations and attitudes regarding food and health have developed. He's quite a character, really. I think that's why he blogs a lot less lately. At some point you feel like you "get it" and rehashing the same thing over and over is not that interesting.

teh_pwn: Food reward is fascinating. Just goes to show how complicated all of this stuff can get, especially when you try to concretize things*. Food reward is interesting because it sorta gets into the psychological aspect of eating, something people don't seem to want to talk about.

*For example yesterday I worked out when I should have really just rested, and despite a huge starch+protein meal I was exhausted, lethargic, and irritable afterwards. It wasn't until I finally gave into my ice cream craving that I started feeling normal. Was that the right thing to do? Who knows.

chumps

On the first day of IF I wanted to do 18/6, but instead I did 20/4 due to bad timing at a restaurant with friends. It was pretty easy to fast for the first 18 hours. I experienced no hunger until around the 18th/19th hour. I'm currently on day two and so far it is looking to be the same way.

Yes. When you wake up you are already in ketosis so that and some coffee and generally you can go quite a ways before feeling very hungry. And even then, if you wait a few minutes, or occupy your self and mind with you know, life, most of the hunger pangs go away.

I think knowing that eventually in the day you are going to eat a big satisfying meal (made more satisfying cause your so damn hungry) plays a big part in it. There is a foreseeable end. Wholesale calorie reduction and constant hunger is not something I'd wish on anyone.

dantehemi

So I'm ending the first week of my low carb ways, and everything is going pretty good.

Question- if 0 carbs are involved in the diet, does it really matter how much fat I eat? For instance last couple of days I have been upping the fat and protein.

Like today for lunch I ate
Lean ground beef and lean ground pork mixed and spiced, fried up with green peppers and onions, and melted cheese on top. And I had half a iceberg lettuce, smothered with blue cheese dressing, crumbled blue cheese and real bacon bits.

Now we all know that is tons of fat, and barely any carbs and lots of protein.

Is that meal harmful to my progress? Or is it ok to eat like that? Mind you I can also cut down the portion, as I am typing this I'm full to the brim!!!

dralla

If you're cutting back on carbs you need to replace the calories to give your body the energy it needs. Fat is the optimal choice as it has no effect on glucose or insulin. Eat as much of it as you want. After a while you'll figure out how much it takes to make you feel full, than you can adjust portions accordingly. If you over eat you don't need to stress out over it. Your body will be in fat burning mode without the insulin in your system. Just give your body time to burn the fat for energy.

SeanR1221

Ok guys, I need your help for my dad. I got him to agree to try and low carb is for a week.

Problem is, he's also supposed to have a low Oxalate diet. I don't think he follows this, but is supposed to, so he refuses to try anything unless he's following this kind of diet too.

Seems meats, eggs and cheese are all ok. Vegetables are where it gets tricky...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/326589-oxalate-free-diet/

Vegetables that UPMC lists as high in oxalates include green beans, carrots, celery, chicory, collards, dandelion greens, eggplant, escarole, kale, leeks, okra, olives, parsley, chili peppers, yam, green peppers, potatoes, rutabaga, summer squash, Swiss chard and zucchini.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/326589-oxalate-free-diet/#ixzz1jaUIEO3C

Same thing with fruits...

Fruits that are high in oxalates include blackberries, blueberries, elderberries, raspberries, gooseberries, dewberries, digs, concord grapes, tangerines, tamarillo, kiwi, currents, fruit cocktail, canned strawberries and orange/lemon/lime peels.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/326589-oxalate-free-diet/#ixzz1jaUNmTze

Any help is appreciated. I really want him to try this, he's pretty overweight and I'm worried about his health.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So I'm ending the first week of my low carb ways, and everything is going pretty good.

Question- if 0 carbs are involved in the diet, does it really matter how much fat I eat? For instance last couple of days I have been upping the fat and protein.

Like today for lunch I ate
Lean ground beef and lean ground pork mixed and spiced, fried up with green peppers and onions, and melted cheese on top. And I had half a iceberg lettuce, smothered with blue cheese dressing, crumbled blue cheese and real bacon bits.

Now we all know that is tons of fat, and barely any carbs and lots of protein.

Is that meal harmful to my progress? Or is it ok to eat like that? Mind you I can also cut down the portion, as I am typing this I'm full to the brim!!!

You'll probably lose weight faster with more protein than fat. Protein isn't easily used as fuel, free fatty acids can be used as fuel or stored as fat. Protein will ensure lean tissue is prioritized, and high protein foods are lower reward.

Yeah, he's had stones multiple times.

Just going by the list you posted, I would give these suggestions:

Vegetables: The three BertramCooper mentioned (romaine lettuce, cucumbers, broccoli), sweet potato (although it's starchy and carby), snow peas, and the all time king, spinach.

Fruits: Papayas, mangoes, and peaches. Although honestly the berry trifecta (blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries) is my main fruit source so I don't have much to suggest.

As an Englishman one of the highlights of the low-carb diet is my breakfast today, a great British fry-up! I skip the carby elements (baked beans, bread) and use a little sugar-free ketchup.

fWDgh.png

LFG

Neophyte
that picture makes me hungry again!

i haven't had a cheat meal or cheat day in two weeks now. though i did have a biscuit with a little gravy on top this morning. i think i'm going to cut cheating to one meal a month. it's nice to actually lose a little weight over the weekend. i have been eating a ton of eggs lately, like 6-8 per day, everyday for a week. so good! scrambled, a little runny with salsa..mmm :)

Tadale

As an Englishman one of the highlights of the low-carb diet is my breakfast today, a great British fry-up! I skip the carby elements (baked beans, bread) and use a little sugar-free ketchup.

Looks good.

Is there a good resource of recipes and foods for someone wanting to try a no carb diet? I'm completely new to it, and I'm ready to give it a shot thanks in large part to Gary's success. Bread and potatoes have always been a big weakness of mine, and any and all tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thorndyke

Neo Member
I have lost 10kg (22lbs) since November!
Was 101kg (222lbs) and now 90.9 (200lbs).
I was wanting to get to 88kgs for my brothers wedding on the 27th of January. I possibly could make that, although I will be happy if i get 88.9 ect.

So, 10kgs away from my goal weight.

SeanR1221

And canned vegetables taste turrible, son.

Thanks for all the suggestions for my dad. I'm going to type him up meal ideas. Guys a heart attack waiting to happen.

Top Bottom