• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

OG Kush

You doing low carb? and how may hours you fasting? i really want to start and from what I've read its basically 16 hours of fasting (drink water though) and then 8 hours of feed time. during the feed time you eat like you normally would and it will make you lose fat fast?

Ripclawe

Banned
anyone try these? they taste spectacular..

http://www.flatoutbread.com/products/flatout-wraps/flatout-healthy-grain/multi-grain/

product-healthy_multigrain.jpg
nutrition-healthy_multigrain.gif

You doing low carb? and how may hours you fasting? i really want to start and from what I've read its basically 16 hours of fasting (drink water though) and then 8 hours of feed time. during the feed time you eat like you normally would and it will make you lose fat fast?

Yes those are the basics. I do low carb on my off days. I'm not sure about losing fat fast since the diet is targeted at people around 12% bf (I'm not close to there, no) but it will help.

Chorazin

Mission's Carb Control wraps are the best thing ever, taste amazing as wraps and also deep fry spectacularly to use as tortilla chips!

BIGWORM

I think this is a good thread to be in. I started dieting on my birthday last year (May 26th). At first, I was sticking to a 1750 calorie diet (1000 calories under maintenance). Later on, I started doing a lot of walking, about 3 miles almost daily with 16lb ankle weights on, and drinking about 80oz of water a day. Doing that, I had lost 45 pounds. I joined a local gym here in the past couple months, and lost another 7 pounds or so, but have bulked up in muscle considerably.

At the gym, I'm mainly sticking to fixed weights, with very little cardio before the fixed weights (maybe 10-15 minutes on treadmill, 5 degree incline, 2.5-2.7 mph). I'm really wanting to lose weight more than bulk up in muscle, but a lot of people say that muscle helps burn fat. I'm at an impasse. Also, I started at 408lbs, down to 358. Suggestions?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Not an expert, but, 1750 sounds like a bit too little, especially with low cardio.

Go back to cardio and do what was working for you. Fat loss is what you need now at your weight, you aren't some 140lb guy who wants to lose some fat and lifting will help with that. SWEAT.

Also obligatory low-carb post, if you are interested in trying that as an alternative, but it sounds like what you were doing was working well.

BIGWORM

Not an expert, but, 1750 sounds like a bit too little, especially with low cardio.

Go back to cardio and do what was working for you. Fat loss is what you need now at your weight, you aren't some 140lb guy who wants to lose some fat and lifting will help with that. SWEAT.

Also obligatory low-carb post, if you are interested in trying that as an alternative, but it sounds like what you were doing was working well.

Now, I'm on a 1500 calorie diet. I'm consuming 100-150g of carbs daily, and have been since the start of the diet; more towards the latter if I go to the gym, which is almost daily. When I first started the diet, I was losing 5lbs weekly, but I'm assuming that was water weight. What should my caloric intake be looking like? If I walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes, 5 degree incline, 2.5-2.7 mph, I can burn ~500 calories.

Zoe

Just a note, ankle and wrist weights are generally thought of as bad for your joins--the stress is unnatural. It would be better to use dumbbells.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Now, I'm on a 1500 calorie diet. I'm consuming 100-150g of carbs daily, and have been since the start of the diet; more towards the latter if I go to the gym, which is almost daily. When I first started the diet, I was losing 5lbs weekly, but I'm assuming that was water weight. What should my caloric intake be looking like? If I walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes, 5 degree incline, 2.5-2.7 mph, I can burn ~500 calories.
I don't think I can offer you sound advice. How fast are you losing now?

BIGWORM

I don't think I can offer you sound advice. How fast are you losing now?

I was plateaued for a month or so. This past 10 days or so I expect finally broken it and lost about 3 pounds. I drink protein (whey) post workout and I have a nice salad for lunch at work.

Re-subscribing to the thread.

Starting my weight loss again. Goal is 90 pounds total.

I actually started two weeks ago at 301.2 pounds, currently down to 290.6 (due to 1st week water loss)

Currently doing weight watchers (but more of calorie deficiency), but WW helps me keep track of what I eat.

Have been thinking of Keto, but my main problem is I travel for work and whenever this travel comes up it is bound to break keto. I am also sort of afraid how my body will reach to keto diet.

I am assuming most people in this thread are doing keto?

dralla

I don' think many people do keto here. I think the majority of people restrict carbs but not down that low. I've done it before and was not a huge fan. I love fruit and really disliked that weird taste in my mouth that it gave me. I feel great at 50-80g a day. Whatever works for you though, that's what is important.

I lost all of my weight quickly by doing rounds of keto followed up by a few days of eating sweet potatoes and butternut squash as sides with my otherwise meat and leafy greens meals. Did that cycle every week for two months and the fat fell off and I felt like a prince.

Now I'm skinny and eat a carbs as a treat. Once a week I go out and eat sushi. Daily I snack on Larabars, Dates or some other fruit. It's a snack, a dessert, not the centerpiece of a meal.

So does knowing that I had to cut carbs to lose weight make me a carbophobe? I think gluten is fucking evil, but you'll have to pry an occasional sweet potato or a rainbow roll from my strong, skinny hands.

I don' think many people do keto here. I think the majority of people restrict carbs but not down that low. I've done it before and was not a huge fan. I love fruit and really disliked that weird taste in my mouth that it gave me. I feel great at 50-80g a day. Whatever works for you though, that's what is important.

I was thinking of doing that, restricting carbs but not going completely to 0 or 20g. The keto breath, smell is also very important for my client visits, yeesh.

I think I can achieve less than 100g carbs per day, probably shoot for around 50g. First thing I have to do is cut out the 2 slices of Honeywheat bread I have everyday.

I mean, today, with a lunch that included a large baked potato + butter + sour cream + dinner of eggs + bread and I am at 87 carbs. Something around 50 should definitely be doable.

And I will buy some of those ketostix to test myself and see whether I am entering ketosis.

Sausage bacon and eggs for breakfast, pan-fried cajun salmon with salt-and-pepper cashews for lunch, grass-fed NY strip steak with creamed spinach for dinner. Today was a good food day.

2 Eggs and 2 slices of bacon for my breakfast this morning after comitting carbocide last night... (mum force fed me pasta and garlic bread, my stomach felt terrible all night)

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Went and got an official bodyfat percentage calculation done in a BodPod...and I've got to say the results were a complete mixed bag of emotion for me.

The reading came out to be 19.8% bodyfat. 13-20% is considered "Moderately Lean" which is essentially the sweet spot for normal everyday healthy people.

While not honestly surprised (I'd estimated I was around 18% based on visual references seen online) it did initially hit me as disappointing...and then shortly thereafter incredibly motivating. After all of this time of getting into shape and eating right, I'm still not low enough in the bodyfat department...or rather, as low as I want to be. My ideal target would be to sit in the next range which is 9-13% bodyfat. To me this is the range where you look the best and don't need to kill yourself to maintain as long as you're eating right and staying active (things that I don't believe will be all that hard to do for me).

The whole thing was just a reminder to me that I'm not done...something I already knew, but this test just put it in front of me in plain english that not only was I not as low as I wanted to be, but had JUST crossed the threshold into acceptable levels of bodyfat.

The whole BodPod experience was pretty interesting. Sitting in a space pod for a couple minutes in your underwear in front of a couple ladies (one cute younger one and one cool older one) was surprisingly less awkward than I expected. I'm a bit more comfortable in my skin these days so I wasn't a nervous wreck that they were thinking I was fat.

Naturally at the end of the test they wanted to try and prescribe ways to improve my bodyfat percentage and were curious about my eating and exercise habits. The younger one who appeared to either be a nutritionist or a dietician or something to that effect actually told me that your brain needs roughly 90g of carbs to function properly. I immediately translated this into "you guys don't fully know what you're talking about so I'm going to politely listen to you and then forget everything you say".

Pleasant people and experience, just frustrates me that the people who are supposed to help you out don't seem to really have the whole picture.

OG Kush

2 Eggs and 2 slices of bacon for my breakfast this morning after comitting carbocide last night... (mum force fed me pasta and garlic bread, my stomach felt terrible all night)

Yeah why does happen? After a week of doing low-carb I then went to dinner at indian restaraunt, real tasty and lots of carbs, potatoes etc. but then after my stomach felt bad and next day i one of those crazy shits. like my body was getting rid of some bad stuff.

Keylime

Yeah why does happen? After a week of doing low-carb I then went to dinner at indian restaraunt, real tasty and lots of carbs, potatoes etc. but then after my stomach felt bad and next day i one of those crazy shits. like my body was getting rid of some bad stuff.

This regularly happens to me when I indulge in a cheat day with my wife or the social occasion calls for it. I describe it to people like my body literally rejects shitty foods now.

After eating like that, my body within 5 hours is in emergency "get it out of me" mode. Almost like it all passes straight through me without any of the "nutrients" going into my system. I'm sure it's not quite like that, but I rather enjoy that I've seemingly created a defense mechanism for shitty eating!

I treat these moments as a natural reminder that my body doesn't want or need that crap.

...it's funny because the reverse is obviously not true. When switching to a higher protein/fat diet you don't magically start rejecting food like this. It's pretty clear what your body wants.

Keylime

I was taught the "at least 100 carbs for your brain" in nutrition. :lol

I'm honestly a bit curious about why it feels like I know more about nutrition and diet than doctors and dietitians and the like. Like I wouldn't trust my doctor if they tried to change my diet unless they had insanely good reasons or I could research it myself and find out if what they were saying actually held up.

SeanR1221

I'd like to think I have a demanding job at times, sometimes working 12 hour days, but I never once felt weak if I only ate 50g of carbs.

Keylime

I'd like to think I have a demanding job at times, sometimes working 12 hour days, but I never once felt weak if I only ate 50g of carbs.

It's not uncommon for someone who first starts a ketogenic diet to feel some negative side effects at first like nausea or weakness, but once the body adjusts than it's no big deal at all.

...but that's it. I almost wanted to ask them what they thought about ketogenic diets but I figured that I shouldn't really try and get into it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm usually in the 70-110g carb range. I try to restrict them, but some of my daily foods have a handful of carbs (greek yogurt, some soups). I am at 70 today after lunch, but shouldn't have much for dinner.

I don't think I could do sub 50 easily, but 70-100 seems fine. Although I miss my weekly pasta meal.

Yes it does, I track Fiber and Sugar separately. Check your settings.

Oh thanks, now I have it doing what I need. And I just finished setting up a google spreadsheet for this too. lol

Thanks!

I'm usually in the 70-110g carb range. I try to restrict them, but some of my daily foods have a handful of carbs (greek yogurt, some soups). I am at 70 today after lunch, but shouldn't have much for dinner.

I don't think I could do sub 50 easily, but 70-100 seems fine. Although I miss my weekly pasta meal.

I have a similar issue in that I like having Onions and Tomatoes which are naturally high in carbs/sugars. That drives up my carb count the most of anything I eat. But I mean, Onions are good for ya!

SeanR1221

It's not uncommon for someone who first starts a ketogenic diet to feel some negative side effects at first like nausea or weakness, but once the body adjusts than it's no big deal at all.

...but that's it. I almost wanted to ask them what they thought about ketogenic diets but I figured that I shouldn't really try and get into it.

In nutrition we leaned keto is really bad for you and it's basically "the body eating itself."

Keylime

In nutrition we leaned keto is really bad for you and it's basically "the body eating itself."

Without high protein and exercise, I wouldn't even disagree.

Is this a college nutrition class you're talking about?

Keylime

Yeah this was an undergrad course I took a few years back. It was specifically for nurses.

I should pick the brain of my friend and cousin, actually. They are both nutritionists...yet I've never asked either of them about their thoughts on all this stuff.

I'd be worried they'd come back with the textbook answer and it would get awkward, though.

SeanR1221

My fiancé, who's a nurse, thought it all made sense. And like I've mentioned before she went from 115 to 103 going low carb.

I finally got her on regular bacon. She just messaged me and said she's making turkey burgers wrapped in bacon tonight.

180lbs today, a new low! 58lbs lost total.

Trying to decide if I want to maintain here or go to 175lb. Might try for 175lbs and see if it comes off my belly.

LosDaddie

Banned
I have a similar issue in that I like having Onions and Tomatoes which are naturally high in carbs/sugars. That drives up my carb count the most of anything I eat. But I mean, Onions are good for ya!

What's wrong with some onions & tomatoes? As long as they're fresh, I don't see any problem with either of them as part of a healthy diet.

I should pick the brain of my friend and cousin, actually. They are both nutritionists...yet I've never asked either of them about their thoughts on all this stuff.

I'd be worried they'd come back with the textbook answer and it would get awkward, though.

I don't see why it would be awkward, unless one side approached the convo as the other side being completely wrong.

Watching the MSNBC coverage of Paula Deen's announcement that she has type-2 diabetes. Tamryn Hall is surprised since Paula often makes "healthy" dishes like low-fat lasagna. Sigh.

dralla

Watching the MSNBC coverage of Paula Deen's announcement that she has type-2 diabetes. Tamryn Hall is surprised since Paula often makes "healthy" dishes like low-fat lasagna. Sigh.
I can't even imagine what it's like for doctors and scientists that have personally studied and researched the effects that fat has on the body to have to hear those type of things from big publications. It makes me upset I can only imagine how infuriating it is for them.

Just yesterday I turn on my TV and "Dr. Oz" is on and the show is about obesity, food actions, ect. One of the guests they had was a dietitian and she was essentially spewing that garbage, recommending 'low-fat' yogurt and cookies, whole grain muffins! It's crazy to me because people trust them, listen to them, and their bad advice could literally result in killing a person.

dralla

Literally? Come on.

No-carb is not the only way to live a healthy life.
You don't think a person who is diabetic or severely obese, eating foods high in sugar and starch could result in death? heart attacks? stroke? I know someone personally who had his leg amputated because of this very reason. I'm not saying a generally healthy person is going to drop dead, but if you're a dietitian or nutritionist, you aren't treating them, you're treating unhealthy people.

Top Bottom