• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

For the past month or so I seem to have hit a plateau and there has no been no real weight loss, a couple of weeks back I started doing some weight exercises 3 times a week (I previously was doing no exercise) to see if that would break the plateau, but it hasn't.

If anyone has any tips or advice I would really appreciate it.

GAF Running Club |OT|

:)

In all seriousness lifting is great for you and you should keep doing it, but it's not really what you need for weight loss. Try keeping the diet the same and tossing on some solid cardio work and see where that takes you.

game

Banned
GAF Running Club |OT|

:)

In all seriousness lifting is great for you and you should keep doing it, but it's not really what you need for weight loss. Try keeping the diet the same and tossing on some solid cardio work and see where that takes you.

You burn calories faster lifting heavy than you do while doing cardio. This is a fact.

Cardio is great for cardiovascular health, lifting is better for weight loss.

Bealost

You burn calories faster lifting heavy than you do while doing cardio. This is a fact.

Cardio is great for cardiovascular health, lifting is better for weight loss.

I disagree with your first statement. I agree with your second one. The reason you exercise while you diet is NOT to burn calories. (shocking I know.) A caloric deficit is much easier to create and maintain through your diet. The exercise helps with two major areas.

1) Adherence. Even if you only go to the gym 3 days a week for an hour (that is really a reasonable amount to see progress) it takes a lot of effort. You feel like going and working out is a lot of hard work (it is, but its fun) therefore you don't want to "waste" that time and effort by cheating on your diet.

2) Health. While dieting will absolutely make you use weight, working out will make you healthier. Lifting weights will help you maintain or even build lean body mass (muscle) while you are losing weight. And there are tons of great reasons to work on cardiovascular endurance too.

TLDR: If you just want to lose weight and feel a lot better, than you don't need to work out, but it would still help. If you want to lose weight, feel like a million bucks, look healthy and be a bamf, then you best be hitting the gym.

OG Kush

Wise words Bealost. I also just feel weird not doing any cardio training as I always think about worst case scenarios and I don't want to be tired running away from a bear/robber/bad thing etc!

Bealost

Wise words Bealost. I also just feel weird not doing any cardio training as I always think about worst case scenarios and I don't want to be tired running away from a bear/robber/bad thing etc!

HAH! When I do cardio I do it so I can catch the bear/robber/bad thing and actually have some use for my weight lifting!

game

Banned
I disagree with your first statement. I agree with your second one. The reason you exercise while you diet is NOT to burn calories. (shocking I know.) A caloric deficit is much easier to create and maintain through your diet. The exercise helps with two major areas.

1) Adherence. Even if you only go to the gym 3 days a week for an hour (that is really a reasonable amount to see progress) it takes a lot of effort. You feel like going and working out is a lot of hard work (it is, but its fun) therefore you don't want to "waste" that time and effort by cheating on your diet.

2) Health. While dieting will absolutely make you use weight, working out will make you healthier. Lifting weights will help you maintain or even build lean body mass (muscle) while you are losing weight. And there are tons of great reasons to work on cardiovascular endurance too.

TLDR: If you just want to lose weight and feel a lot better, than you don't need to work out, but it would still help. If you want to lose weight, feel like a million bucks, look healthy and be a bamf, then you best be hitting the gym.

In my attempt to lose weight, weight lifting has done much, much, much more than cardio.

A long time ago, I did nothing but cardio. Made it very difficult to lose weight. I lost about 30 lbs after I started lifting weights, no joke. I actually quit doing cardio all together and lost a LOT of weight as a result (I do both now again).

It is all about calories in vs calories out, but you'd be surprised how many calories are spent during a rigorous weightlifting session.

Of course, ideally you'd want both for different reasons, but you should def. never skimp on weight lifting, especially if you are concerned with losing weight.

Different things work for different people too; if cardio is all you need to attain your ideal physique, then stay at it.

I should add that I'm not a fan of starving myself. Lifting weights regularly lets me eat almost as much as I want and remain calorie deficient if need be.

Cliffs: Simply dieting is NOT easier for everyone. Maybe for you, but for me I find it much easier to slack on my diet and make up for it via exercise.

Bealost

Cliffs: Simply dieting is NOT easier for everyone. Maybe for you, but for me I find it much easier to slack on my diet and make up for it via exercise.

I was disagreeing with the fact that weight lifting burns more calories than cardio. I can burn 500 calories in less than 30 minutes if I run 3 miles. I doubt my sets of squats (which takes longer than 30 minutes) burns nearly that much.

I agree that lifting is incredibly important, and is more important than cardio. However its always going to be easier to not drink a can of pepsi than it is to run the mile to burn those calories.

Zoe

The consensus is the more muscle you have, the more you'll burn during any activity. I have never heard that 30 minutes of weight lifting burns more than 30 minutes of cardio.

game

Banned
I was disagreeing with the fact that weight lifting burns more calories than cardio. I can burn 500 calories in less than 30 minutes if I run 3 miles. I doubt my sets of squats

I have never heard that 30 minutes of weight lifting burns more than 30 minutes of cardio.

http://alwyncosgrove.com/2010/01/hierarchy-of-fat-loss/

^involves several studies on the subject and cites to every study

cliffs:

Overweight subjects were assigned to three groups: diet-only, diet plus aerobics, diet plus aerobics plus weights. The diet group lost 14.6 pounds of fat in 12 weeks. The aerobic group lost only one more pound (15.6 pounds) than the diet group (training was three times a week starting at 30 minutes and progressing to 50 minutes over the 12 weeks).

The weight training group lost 21.1 pounds of fat (44% and 35% more than diet and aerobic only groups respectively). Basically, the addition of aerobic training didn’t result in any real world significant fat loss over dieting alone.

Thirty-six sessions of up to 50 minutes is a lot of work for one additional pound of fat loss. However, the addition of resistance training greatly accelerated fat loss results.

Zoe

http://alwyncosgrove.com/2010/01/hierarchy-of-fat-loss/

^involves several studies on the subject and cites to every study

cliffs:

Overweight subjects were assigned to three groups: diet-only, diet plus aerobics, diet plus aerobics plus weights. The diet group lost 14.6 pounds of fat in 12 weeks. The aerobic group lost only one more pound (15.6 pounds) than the diet group (training was three times a week starting at 30 minutes and progressing to 50 minutes over the 12 weeks).

The weight training group lost 21.1 pounds of fat (44% and 35% more than diet and aerobic only groups respectively). Basically, the addition of aerobic training didn’t result in any real world significant fat loss over dieting alone.

Thirty-six sessions of up to 50 minutes is a lot of work for one additional pound of fat loss. However, the addition of resistance training greatly accelerated fat loss results.

I don't see how that contradicts what we said. It would have made your point if the third group did weights but no cardio.

Szu

I found these two pics that I feel gives a decent idea of my progress through the early years of my weight loss.

I apologize, in advance, for the quality of these pics.

This was taken at dad's birthday in 2000. I had been going to the gym for about a year, but I wasn't very serious about training at the time.

7BOw7.jpg

This was taken at mom's birthday in 2004. In 2001, I really stepped up my training regime and diet. I think the results speak for themselves.

0SsNv.jpg

Edit: BTW, I'm the guy on the top right in the first pic and the guy on the top left in the second pic.

Szu

What did you diet wise, Szu? I remember you posted your fitness routine in the fitness thread?

Well, I will admit there were a few circumstances that "helped" me lose the weight. Early on, I just tried to eat less meals and cram most of my food intake before my workouts. I didn't become really picky about the types of food that I ate, but I did slowly phase out certain products over the course of those years (fried foods, soda, junk food, etc.)

In 2001-2002, I switched to a bodybuilding diet regime of 4-5 smaller meals a day. I focused on eating a meal every 3-4 hours. I replaced all the soda and other soft drinks with water and juice. I drank the occasional over-the-counter protein shakes before my workouts. I only started taking my own Whey protein shakes in around 2007.

Now, my diet is almost the same thing every day.

Breakfast: 3-5 egg whites, whole wheat toast (sometimes substitute toast with oatmeal if I'm really hungry), orange juice, and some fruit

Lunch: Grilled chicken sandwich or salad and occasionally a soup (the soup menu changes in my cafe, but I usually have something with chicken or turkey)

Light pre-workout meal: a few nutrition bars and some fruit

Post-workout: protein shake

Dinner: small amount of rice, chicken or fish, and some veggies.

I've been stuck at around 193 lb for over a week now. But I thought of a good way to look at it: I may not be losing any weight, but at least I'm not losing muscle.

zam

Do I need to eat more carbs before/after working out? Did my first kettlebells workout since starting low-carb (didn't exercise last week cause I had a bad cold) and it felt a lot harder than it usually felt.

andycapps

Do I need to eat more carbs before/after working out? Did my first kettlebells workout since starting low-carb (didn't exercise last week cause I had a bad cold) and it felt a lot harder than it usually felt.

I'm far from an expert on this, but I tend to have more energy for my workout if I eat a reasonable amount of carbs an hour or so before my workout.

5amshift

Banned
Any tips for a biker on what to eat for the Spring/Summer? Last year I lost a ton of noticeable weight by biking a ton, but eating the same way I have been, which is sorta bad. What would a good diet be for a days worth if I decide to be on a bike all day?

Kraftwerk

Need some advice;

I don't need to loose any weight. I am already on an amazing diet, and I stay fit everyday. The thing I don't like about this lifestyle is the NUMBERS D: They scare me.

I was incredibly thirsty after a bike ride, and I ran out of water. My friend passed me a small juice container. I immediately went to the nutrition chart, and it had 40g sugar....so I didn't drink it. I waited another 10 minutes when we got to someplace where I had water.

I hate how this is starting to control my life :0 I love it and hate it at the same time. The other night my friend from India offered me some delicious Indian sweets, and I declined.

GODDAMNIT.

So, all I need to know is. is there a Daily Sugar Intake number or something out there? Can I take a test and know how much I need?

andycapps

Need some advice;

I don't need to loose any weight. I am already on an amazing diet, and I stay fit everyday. The thing I don't like about this lifestyle is the NUMBERS D: They scare me.

I was incredibly thirsty after a bike ride, and I ran out of water. My friend passed me a small juice container. I immediately went to the nutrition chart, and it had 40g sugar....so I didn't drink it. I waited another 10 minutes when we got to someplace where I had water.

I hate how this is starting to control my life :0 I love it and hate it at the same time. The other night my friend from India offered me some delicious Indian sweets, and I declined.

GODDAMNIT.

So, all I need to know is. is there a Daily Sugar Intake number or something out there? Can I take a test and know how much I need?

If you're already really fit and you cheat every now and then, I don't think that's horrible. Your friends may consider it rude if you refuse sweets that offer you. Just take a couple and don't eat the whole container.

That's my take on that, anyway.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Need some advice;

GODDAMNIT.

If you're physically expending your energy and need a pick-me-up, I think that taking a swig of a sugary drink isn't really going to kill you. In fact depending on the situation it may be just what the doctor ordered! If you feel like you're hitting the wall, a jump in blood sugar will help you get over the hump. A drink like gatorade can be useful in this situation...but I would never advise anyone to drink gatorade by default...only if they are doing some very extended activities like a marathon or extended bike ride or a tennis match...something that requires more than your normal reserves provide.

Basically taking a recovery drink mid-workout instead of post, but in this case the carbs help you do more than your body really wants you to.

You can argue whether that's healthy or not, but if the activity you're doing requires more energy than your body can produce by default...fast acting carbs are really the only way to refuel the tank quickly.

Edit: To answer your other question about "how much sugar CAN I eat?"...well, the answer is you SHOULDN'T eat any sugar :) That being said, there's nothing wrong with eating a little something here or there to either help a social situation or satisfy a craving. As long as you're comfortable with doing so, and you know that you aren't going to spiral out of control...I say go ahead and eat it.

As much soap-boxing as I do in this thread, I'm entirely guilty of cheat meals or cheat days depending on the situation. Admittedly I do hate myself more often than not when I do give in to these scenarios, but at the end of the day they aren't really hurting me beyond repair or anything silly like that. As long as you stay on the horse for the vast majority of your meals, you're solid gold.

Cmagus

I have a question regarding sugar. So I have been doing low carb for awhile now and it's working great but I have been looking to introduce some new meals into my diet.So I found this meal off Linda's Low Carb

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/chicken_pizza.html

I would like to try this however it does feature pizza sauce. Now I have been to the grocery store and checked out all the labels and the lowest I have been able to find in terms of sugar content is 4g per 1/4 cup and 4 net carbs. Now for that meal I obviously wouldn't use anything close to that but I have never been sure on sugar in general on this diet, is a tablespoon of this sauce going to have a big impact and generally if small amounts of sugar are involved what is generally the safe limit if any or is it best to just make it without the sauce.

I've read quite abit on sugars but it seems to vary from time to time just wondering if anyone could shed some insight.

OG Kush

^ this might sound likea stupid suggestion as I know jack shit about pizza suace, but have you thought about making the sauce yourself?

ch0mp

I have a question regarding sugar. So I have been doing low carb for awhile now and it's working great but I have been looking to introduce some new meals into my diet.So I found this meal off Linda's Low Carb

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/chicken_pizza.html

I would like to try this however it does feature pizza sauce. Now I have been to the grocery store and checked out all the labels and the lowest I have been able to find in terms of sugar content is 4g per 1/4 cup and 4 net carbs. Now for that meal I obviously wouldn't use anything close to that but I have never been sure on sugar in general on this diet, is a tablespoon of this sauce going to have a big impact and generally if small amounts of sugar are involved what is generally the safe limit if any or is it best to just make it without the sauce.

I've read quite abit on sugars but it seems to vary from time to time just wondering if anyone could shed some insight.
Ideally you want no added sugar in sauces but you can't always avoid it. I wouldn't be worried at all. 4g of sugar in 1 meal is not an issue.

Also: that recipe looks freaking awesome and I will be making it.

So, I am trying to do both Couch to 5K and the Primal Workout Plan (the "Lift Heavy Things" part), each three times a week. Is this too much when I'm doing low carb? I feel like I've gotten fatter over the last week or so, even though I've been eating very few carbs. I'm very confused.

So in my experience, low carb is bullshit.
I gained weight while eating at least 50% less of them and had a hard time sleeping.

If it works for you kids, go ahead.

Back to reasonable about of carbs, low sugar, and managing calories.

AiTM

Banned
So in my experience, low carb is bullshit.
I gained weight while eating at least 50% less of them and had a hard time sleeping.

If it works for you kids, go ahead.

Back to reasonable about of carbs, low sugar, and managing calories.

50% less meaning how many per day? And for how long? Just because you cut down but still ate white carbs and sugar doesn't mean it's gonna work. The whole idea is you need to deprive your body the option of using carbs for energy, so you have to have a low enough amount for it to work. And you probably didn't gain weight, was just your body holding onto excess water weight.

50% less meaning how many per day? And for how long? Just because you cut down but still ate white carbs and sugar doesn't mean it's gonna work.

I was eating 150g-200g on average a week and losing weight consistently.

Then I switched full low-carb for 2 months reducing to between 50-75g average.
Barely ate any carbs outside of ketchup with eggs and occasional bread.

I need more calories for my activity level and I'm not an eating all-meat diet.

So, most of my cheat days involve ice cream. I've cut down on soda and other sugars drastically but ice cream always finds its way into my cheat days.

I bought some of this today and tried it. I think I'll be able to substitute this for my ice cream at least 50% of the time.

Arctic Zero ice cream. 1 pint - 150 calories. The taste/texture is somewhere in between ice cream and sorbet.

Va8TJ.png

i started my diet this week, eggs in the morning followed by chicken cutlets with corn and broccoli 2x a day.. whenever i feel i need to drink something sweet i get Fuze..

from 252 to 246 but i cheated today with 2 meat Burek

AiTM

Banned
To you guys that do cheat days...how often do you do them? Do you have any rules or guidelines you follow on them?

Dany

Banned
Aren't you NOT to follow rules when you cheat?

I had a kit kat bar and a a larabar. Cheat!

Those arctic zero ice creams looks insane, 150 a pint? I need to find a wholes food near me :p

To you guys that do cheat days...how often do you do them? Do you have any rules or guidelines you follow on them?

once every 2 weeks.. it gets very difficult sometimes BUT when i drink Fuze my appetite is greatly suppressed which is really good

Aren't you NOT to follow rules when you cheat?

I had a kit kat bar and a a larabar. Cheat!

Those arctic zero ice creams looks insane, 150 a pint? I need to find a wholes food near me :p

i try to avoid things that are fried, foods i would avoid - hamburger, fries, gyro, chinese takeout

Top Bottom