• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

blackflag

To you guys that do cheat days...how often do you do them? Do you have any rules or guidelines you follow on them?

Well I have carb up days, not really cheat days. On those days I try to eat like 200g protein 800g carbs 80g or less fat.

The. Est part is eating golden Graham's or cinnamon toast crunch. Then I eat bagels and bread for most of the day.

Cmagus

^ this might sound likea stupid suggestion as I know jack shit about pizza suace, but have you thought about making the sauce yourself?

Not a dumb suggestion at all I could look into it see what can maybe be done

Ideally you want no added sugar in sauces but you can't always avoid it. I wouldn't be worried at all. 4g of sugar in 1 meal is not an issue.

Also: that recipe looks freaking awesome and I will be making it.

Well my carb intake is super low everyday.I have basically been eating the same two meals everyday for awhile now just to get me going but it has gotten boring.Generally my breakfast is bacon and plain eggs and water and dinner have been chicken salad with some cheese and water.I am gonna try that pizza chicken though it looks amazing and maybe one of the desserts.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Just checking in - 64kg and sort of stuck, still doing some kettle bell work but not as much as usual, but futsal back in full swing and running/walking is back.

Feels good, still no booze - 9 months. :O

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
To you guys that do cheat days...how often do you do them? Do you have any rules or guidelines you follow on them?

I wait until the craving becomes unbearable then cheat for one day (and have that cheat meal be my only meal of the day). This usually happens anywhere from every two weeks to every month or so, it depends. I'm certain that my horrid lifestyle growing up has left me with food addiction.

While I'm controlling my daily eating and have been for almost two years now, I'm left with "withdrawal" pangs that happen in the allotted time mentioned above and I just give in. I used to do a once a week cheat meal, but after a few months, I noticed there were some weeks where I'd cheat that week for the sake of sticking to that schedule so I figured it's best just to cheat when I REALLY have to.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
So my weight is 90 kg and my height is 178 centimetres. I need to lose 12 kg. I have downloaded an app for iPad and calculated max amount of calories I can have per day to lose 0.5 kg per week. Then I made a simple diet. It has been a week since I started and so far it has been pretty easy to maintain it. I mean I know how many calories I can consume and I know how many calories products contain. So it was very easy to set the bar.

And I feel much, much better than a week ago. The fatigue is gone. I can sleep less. I can work more and feel more focused. I can't imagine how people with 20-30 or even 50 extra kg feel. I know some very active fat people, but since now I know how extra weight can affect you I wonder how active would they be if they weren't overweight.

SeanR1221

Every Saturday night, sometimes Friday too.

My rule is to never get out of control. If I'm getting chinese, I'll keep it to a combo meal (chicken, rice, egg roll). No reason to pile on a bunch of extras and sides.

SeanR1221

Down to 175 :)

But as some of you know, my weight can bounce like crazy, but before it was bouncing between 180-185.

My past weigh ins...180, 179, 177, 179, 179, 178, 179, 178, 177, 175.

This is over 4 weeks, doing very low carb (usually under 20g), my protein is usually around 190-200g and I'm doing the strong lifts 5x5 program at the gym (finishing week 4 tomorrow).

Down to 175 :)

But as some of you know, my weight can bounce like crazy, but before it was bouncing between 180-185.

My past weigh ins...180, 179, 177, 179, 179, 178, 179, 178, 177, 175.

This is over 4 weeks, doing very low carb (usually under 20g), my protein is usually around 190-200g and I'm doing the strong lifts 5x5 program at the gym (finishing week 4 tomorrow).

How is SL going for you? Have you noticed a change in your strength and physical appearance?

LosDaddie

Banned
Great week! Hit 34 lbs lost total this morning. The weight scale was nice to me. :)

So, most of my cheat days involve ice cream. I've cut down on soda and other sugars drastically but ice cream always finds its way into my cheat days.

It's a Cheat Day. Eat & drink whatever you want. That's your reward for being so good on your diet the rest of the time.

Aren't you NOT to follow rules when you cheat?

It wouldn't really be cheating if you followed the rules, right?

Once a week, and still losing weight. :) My Cheat Day starts on Friday night (Pizza Night in my house) and goes through Saturday. Again, there are no rules on my Cheat Day. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want. PIzza, burgers, fries, fried chicken, chips, soda, beer...all of it.

SeanR1221

MjFrancis

A Vegan No More

It's anecdotal, so weigh the evidence appropriately. I thought that this might be relevant given the link on the anti-cheese propaganda. I'm trying to use propaganda in a neutral sense, too, but I suppose that ship has sailed hasn't it? Oh well.

I understand moral and health arguments concerning vegetarianism, but I've never been able to wrap my head around what would motivate someone to become a vegan. If vegetarians have anything going for them it's that they eat veggies like a hellbent madman. And I'm down with that.

andycapps

A Vegan No More

It's anecdotal, so weigh the evidence appropriately. I thought that this might be relevant given the link on the anti-cheese propaganda. I'm trying to use propaganda in a neutral sense, too, but I suppose that ship has sailed hasn't it? Oh well.

I understand moral and health arguments concerning vegetarianism, but I've never been able to wrap my head around what would motivate someone to become a vegan. If vegetarians have anything going for them it's that they eat veggies like a hellbent madman. And I'm down with that.

Seems like to be a vegan, animal rights has to come into it at some point. You can't defend it from a health or scientific perspective, so a person is that way because they think eating meat is just wrong. And some of them do have valid points regarding what feed lot animals eat or their living conditions, which is why if you feel badly about that, you should buy free range meat.

But I think a lot of it comes back to it being a moral issue, I don't know of anyone that's pitched veganism as being more healthy. It's quite a challenge to get what your body can get from an easy omnivorous diet solely from vegan friendly foods.

dantehemi

I found heaven today!!! My local grocery store has these oven roasted chicken wings (no breading, just naked wings) and I have this presidents choice wing sauce with 0 carbs!!! Then I found a blue cheese dip with 0 carbs!!! Im loving it... I just nailed 20 wings for lunch and I love it!!!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Participants (N = 2564, 36% men, mean age 69 ± 10, 20% white, 23% black, 53% Hispanic) were from the Northern Manhattan Study.

We assessed diet and regular soft drink consumption using a food frequency questionnaire at baseline, and categorized: none (<1/month, N&#8201;=&#8201;1948 diet, N&#8201;=&#8201;1333 regular), light (1/month-6/week, N&#8201;=&#8201;453 diet, N&#8201;=&#8201;995 regular), daily (&#8805;1/day, N&#8201;=&#8201;163 diet, N&#8201;=&#8201;338 regular). Over a mean follow-up of 10 years, we examined the association between soft drink consumption and 591 incident vascular events (stroke, myocardial infarction, vascular death) using Cox models.

There was no increased risk of vascular events associated with regular soft drinks or light diet soft drink consumption.

So if you drink 1 a day you are good. At least that's what this says from the summary.
I can't read the article because I have to pay!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Wish I could do cheat day and stay on track but I can't. If you make a cheat day a Saturday at a football game where you start tailgating in the morning and drink all day, you are likely to ingest some sort of massive calorie bomb that throws you off for several days. Or it did to me at least. And If i wake up with a hangover I really crave something unhealthy.

SeanR1221

But great hangover food is bacon and eggs so you should be good ;)

---

So for the second week a cheat meal has knocked me on my ass. I had sesame chicken (probably around 2 cups) a cup of brown rice and two beers (blue moons) and once again, I spent most of my morning on the toilet.

I found heaven today!!! My local grocery store has these oven roasted chicken wings (no breading, just naked wings) and I have this presidents choice wing sauce with 0 carbs!!! Then I found a blue cheese dip with 0 carbs!!! Im loving it... I just nailed 20 wings for lunch and I love it!!!

You could probably do the same thing yourself, much cheaper. I usually get chicken from Ralph's here, but I'm afraid of what they're putting on it. Hopefully not too many carbs. It's so delicious, that I don't trust it.

---

So for the second week a cheat meal has knocked me on my ass. I had sesame chicken (probably around 2 cups) a cup of brown rice and two beers (blue moons) and once again, I spent most of my morning on the toilet.

I know that feel, bro...

---

I had Chinese yesterday night and at 4am, I had this burp that had my throat burning for the next 5-10 minutes. I thought this was the end. It was like poisonous noxious fumes coming out of my mouth.

I think the problem with Chinese for cheat days is MSG. I will stick to Indian food for cheat days from now on.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
99cent store has romaine hearts, strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries for a buck.
Welp guess I'm shopping there more.

Ripclawe

Banned
woot, broke the 260 barrier down to 257 over the last 2 weeks.

This is my sample diet I went on more or less with apples or banana for snacks. On Madcow 5x5 days I push the carbs to around 180.
iwUYGOaDv5XKA.jpg

dralla

oh man those birdseye, steamfresh veggies are no joke. I tried the creamed spinach the other day and the broccoli and cheese tonight. i like to mix them with my meat and other veggies into one big delicious 'salad'. they were cheap too, only 4 bucks for both. gonna be making these part of my regular diet

oh man those birdseye, steamfresh veggies are no joke. I tried the creamed spinach the other day and the broccoli and cheese tonight. i like to mix them with my meat and other veggies into one big delicious 'salad'. they were cheap too, only 4 bucks for both. gonna be making these part of my regular diet
The Steamfresh creamed spinach is my favorite. And 100% natural too.

OG Kush

Ripclawe, be weary of having tuna everyday, I've read cases of people getting mercury poison because of eating tuna regularly. Although it may depend on the type of tuna, and how much exactly.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

---

In college I treated hangovers with stuff like biscuits and gravy or a giant burrito once the nausea passed. I shudder to think how I'd feel now if I got really drunk and then ate that the next day. I'd be out of commission for days.

Ripclawe, be weary of having tuna everyday, I've read cases of people getting mercury poison because of eating tuna regularly. Although it may depend on the type of tuna, and how much exactly.
I eat a can of tuna every day, I've done so for about a year (not exaggerating), no mercury poisoning for me. I actually went to the doctor and asked for a blood test, as I too had read about people getting poisoned. He said that it was very unlikely and he was right. The test came back and my mercury levels were completely normal.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting evidence. I think realistically, you would need to eat tuna for every meal/have very large portions over a long, long period to be at any risk.

Anyway, on the topic of weight loss, I was 96 kg (211 lbs) at my heaviest. My lifestyle was terrible, I ate a lot of fast food, drank soda or cordial and did little to no exercise. One day, I decided I had had enough. I started drinking water, eating healthy and exercising. The weight fell off me. I never counted calories, if I was still hungry after a meal, I would eat some fruit. That is also my way of dealing with any temptation, I'll think about having some chocolate for example, then I'll have fruit instead. It hits the spot and I feel good about myself after it.

Nowadays, I weigh 76kg (167 lbs) which is apparently ideal for my height. I still don't eat junk food (3 years since I started my health kick) I always have water by my side and I run for at least 30 minutes a day. I feel a whole lot better now than I did back then. I'll see about posting some before/after photos tomorrow.

***Edit***

Before/after photos as promised.
rHDUu.jpg

I'm on the left. That's my brother on the right, being an idiot by sitting on my knee.
rqEhm.jpg

This is only a webcam shot, I don't really have any other recent photos of myself. I think you can tell that I've dropped a fair amount of weight and need to get some more sun, lol.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
If you haven't already, all of you should make an effort to have one cup of green tea everyday. I've been reading many articles and studies on green tea and I'm glad I decided to add it to my daily regimen.

What a powerful drink.

I went down 8 lb in week one of my diet. Obviously it's mostly water. Spent the first week getting my muscles up to the task of P90X so I can go in full-bore without being absolutely crippled by soreness. First workout is tomorrow. Feeling pretty good about it. :)

big_z

I went from 262 lbs to 248 lbs in week one of my diet. Obviously it's mostly water. Spent the first week getting my muscles up to the task of P90X so I can go in full-bore without being absolutely crippled by soreness. First workout is tomorrow. Feeling pretty good about it. :)
I've been doing insanity and from what I've learned nearing the end of week two is that you need to have your recovery drink (whey protein drink) after your done. Makes a big difference in reducing muscle soreness.

Top Bottom