• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Hi weight loss GAF!

I came home from i uni this weekend to find that ive put on 10 lbs and now im verging on 19 stone at 260lbs, I've been wanting to get my weight under control for a while now. But it's really starting to worry me, so I'm finally going to attempt to put my all into it.

I'm hoping by posting in here I will gain the confidence and willpower to keep going and not resort to my usual ways of eating crap and being lazy.

This is the action plan I am currently thinking of putting into practice:
1) Replace snacks with fruit.
2) Walk to uni and back as much as I can. (1.5 miles both ways)
3) General healthy eating (less bread and pasta, no more takeaways, lean meat, more greens), perhaps I'll calorie count?
4) Go jogging every other day, with a housemate. on a 1.8 mile route.

Well I would like to hear what you guys think of this action plan, is a it a good idea, too drastic, or am I doing the right thing? I really want to get this right so I'd appreciate the help.

Cheers GAF :)

Add nuts to the first one and eliminate the fourth one.

Otherwise, excellent starting point. :)

hodgy100

OK what kind of nuts are preferable, I'm assuming the usual cashew and peanuts aren't good, So im guessing you mean things like walnuts, hazelnuts and Brazil nuts, yes?

Also what's the reasoning for not running? I obviously wouldn't be-able to run that distance all in one go and i would have to take breaks until i build myself up so i can run the distance, but i thought some sort of exercise would be good for me?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
We really need a new topic that is actually about before and after pics rather than a bunch of people personal opinions of what diet you should or shouldn't do. What a waste of a good thread.

You're obviously not following the thread, because there are plenty of before/after pics and good stories, too.

dantehemi

Wow!!! Just went to the hockey game with my budy tonight, and I had 4 vodka sodas....and they just kicked my ass!!!! I have been in keto for aprox 2 months now, and in that time I really haven't drank all that much. Now in my pre keto days I'm not proud to say that I could have put down shots with the best of them, I was able to drink alot and feel fine.
When my friend seen what 4 drinks did to me, he was shocked! I was drowsy, had a headache and just felt "fucked up" I heard that while in ketosis your tolerance is much lower, and now I experienced it for the first time.....I really don't look forward to the next time I have a drink lol.

so im down to 243 from 247

getting tired of eggs every single morning so im changing it up with Fiber One Original and unsweetened almond milk

anyone know of a few calorie counting sites?

Ok, I get that, I am not a huge believer but it's the only metric I know to keep track of things. Any comments on the routine or C/P/F split?

The routine looks good to me, and you're losing weight at a healthy rate, so I'd say stick with what you're doing. As far as your macronutrient breakdown goes...personally I would rather have it closer to 40-50% Protein, 40% Fat, 10-20% Carbs. But again, what you're doing now seems to be working for you, so why mess with a good thing?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

getting tired of eggs every single morning so im changing it up with Fiber One Original and unsweetened almond milk

What an awful idea.

fiberone.jpg

bevoalmunswvan.gif

how is that bad?

Enco

So it pretty much has no nutritional value apart from some fiber?

I would give it a skip. Probably tastes like crap like ch0mp said.

You'd rather see a bunch of pics than have a thread full of information that is super useful?

Personally I'd rather see the pictures and stories rather than what this thread has become, mostly people talking about what they ate that barely qualifies as a meal for dinner or what they are going to eat for breakfast. Food is not just fuel.

Often I read this thread and it's just depressing. People going on ridiculous and sometimes dangerous diets that they cannot live the rest of their lives with because they are desperate to lose weight the fastest way possible. They'll all likely put the weight back on, because they aren't making a lifestyle change, they're looking at the short term solution.

I'm currently back on the fitness bandwagon. I got inspired by my girlfriend who's in pretty much professional athlete shape at 41 years old. She's in better shape than 97% of the women half her age. She eats a ton and she eats well. Most of her meals are pretty clean and healthy, but if she wants bread, she eats it. If she wants to have a beer or several or a bunch of whiskey she does. We got out to dinner and she out eats me and orders two deserts. The words "cheat day" or "cheat meal" are not in her vocabulary. A diet isn't something she is on, it's simply what she eats, ice cream and all. Her secret? "If you get the fire hot enough it will burn anything". She tries to do something active everyday. She watches less TV in a week than most people do in a day. When she hits the gym she hits it fucking hard.

So I cut back on the soda, eat more veggies and fruits, drink more water. I eat at regular intervals and in reasonable portions. If I want cake or a Fatburger or Chicago pizza, I have it. I get as drunk as I care to. However, I hit the gym 5-6 times a week. I ride a bike or walk the two mile round trip to work everyday rain or shine. I ride or walk uphill the hard way home because it's good exercise. I lift somewhere around three tons of weight 4 times a week, and I run 4-6 miles 5 or 6 times a week at a pace from 6-8.2 miles per hour. I spend anywhere from 45-90 minutes in the gym 6 days a week, and every time I go I make it a point to go a little further, a little faster, and lift a little more weight. I'm shedding fat and gaining muscle like crazy. I never step on a scale. I see and feel the change every day and I'm enjoying every meal and every drink while I do it. Fuck P90X and keto diets. I like staring at hot chicks on stair steppers while I work out and eating and drinking things that are bad for me.

It's inspiring to see people getting results, but reading what some folks are doing to themselves to get there can be pretty disheartening. Just get active. Start small, eat a little better and push yourself a little more each day.

Wiktor

Personally I'd rather see the pictures and stories rather than what this thread has become, mostly people talking about what they ate that barely qualifies as a meal for dinner or what they are going to eat for breakfast. Food is not just fuel.

Often I read this thread and it's just depressing. People going on ridiculous and sometimes dangerous diets that they cannot live the rest of their lives with because they are desperate to lose weight the fastest way possible. They'll all likely put the weight back on, because they aren't making a lifestyle change, they're looking at the short term solution.

I'm currently back on the fitness bandwagon. I got inspired by my girlfriend who's in pretty much professional athlete shape at 41 years old. She's in better shape than 97% of the women half her age. She eats a ton and she eats well. Most of her meals are pretty clean and healthy, but if she wants bread, she eats it. If she wants to have a beer or several or a bunch of whiskey she does. We got out to dinner and she out eats me and orders two deserts. The words "cheat day" or "cheat meal" are not in her vocabulary. A diet isn't something she is on, it's simply what she eats, ice cream and all. Her secret? "If you get the fire hot enough it will burn anything". She tries to do something active everyday. She watches less TV in a week than most people do in a day. When she hits the gym she hits it fucking hard.

So I cut back on the soda, eat more veggies and fruits, drink more water. I eat at regular intervals and in reasonable portions. If I want cake or a Fatburger or Chicago pizza, I have it. I get as drunk as I care to. However, I hit the gym 5-6 times a week. I ride a bike or walk the two mile round trip to work everyday rain or shine. I ride or walk uphill the hard way home because it's good exercise. I lift somewhere around three tons of weight 4 times a week, and I run 4-6 miles 5 or 6 times a week at a pace from 6-8.2 miles per hour. I spend anywhere from 45-90 minutes in the gym 6 days a week, and every time I go I make it a point to go a little further, a little faster, and lift a little more weight. I'm shedding fat and gaining muscle like crazy. I never step on a scale. I see and feel the change every day and I'm enjoying every meal and every drink while I do it. Fuck P90X and keto diets. I like staring at hot chicks on stair steppers while I work out and eating and drinking things that are bad for me.

It's inspiring to see people getting results, but reading what some folks are doing to themselves to get there can be pretty disheartening. Just get active. Start small, eat a little better and push yourself a little more each day.
You're awfully whiny. You offer nonsense advice like "eat less, train more"..well..duh Captain Obvious. The problem is if it was that simple to most people we wouldn't need threads like those.

People come here and share what works for them in detail. You're not contributing anything besides making other people angry.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The routine looks good to me, and you're losing weight at a healthy rate, so I'd say stick with what you're doing. As far as your macronutrient breakdown goes...personally I would rather have it closer to 40-50% Protein, 40% Fat, 10-20% Carbs. But again, what you're doing now seems to be working for you, so why mess with a good thing?

Thanks for the comments - I did in fact buy some extra 100% whey protein with no carbs to increase daily protein intake. A vast majority of my carbs come from fresh fruits (apple, orange, pineapple, grapes) and all bran. I have been thinking of eating even more berries instead of fruit so that compared with extra protein should tip the balance. Getting that much protein and fat is hard!

Another thing is that I am not running a super tight ship on purpose - for example, I allow for a beer or two before swapping to vodka soda. The reason is that I want to make this into a sustainable lifestyle rather than a diet, and I know I love beer so I better learn how to drink it with as little damage as possible. I did Atkins once 6 years ago, and while it was super effective, I couldn't translate it to everyday life.

SeigO

Banned
I've been doing that eat less crappy food, work out hard and do it frequently thing that Mikeofthelivingdead mentioned. It's been working decently for me I can see where he's coming from it's sort of annoying that everyone thinks that you have to do a fad/gimmick diet.
6"3 210->180
2ES5N.jpg

You're awfully whiny. You offer nonsense advice like "eat less, train more"..well..duh Captain Obvious. The problem is if it was that simple to most people we wouldn't need threads like those.

People come here and share what works for them in detail. You're not contributing anything besides making other people angry.

Maybe I just made you angry because it really is that simple. Do not confuse simple with easy, btw. I though I gave some pretty thorough detail on what I do and it's not easy, but staring at hot girls (or guys if that's your thing) while kicking my own ass for an hour a day beats the crap out of counting calories and carbs and convincing myself I love some shitty diet while lollygagging my way through some trendy workout video in my living room a few times a week.

So here's what works for me since I wasn't clear.

Two miles on a bike or walking everyday for transportation. Reading this thread it looks like a lot of people probably do LESS than that per day as EXERCISE. That's just going to and from work for me.

45-90 minutes in a gym 6 days a week which consists of:
RUNNING a minimum of 4 and up to 6 miles at 6-8+ miles per hour. I don't run at a constant pace. When I need to slow down because my legs are giving up or my pulse is too high, I walk at 5 miles per hour, but my average speed once I'm done is never less than 6 miles per hour.
Lifting Weights, mostly dumbbells. I do different exercises on different days, 3 sets of 10 reps for each exercise. I do 6 to 10 exercises a session. I add up the weight on each rep because I like to know how much weight I moved each day in tons. It's a fun way for me to keep a high score. I do this 4 times a week. The exercises are unimportant. You pick what you want to work on for a particular day and do those exercises. There are a million sites online with dumbbell routines for every part of you body.

I eat pretty much what I want within reason, and by reason I mean common sense. I don't think I really eat less than I used to but if I get pizza I don't sit down and eat the whole thing by myself. I'll grab a piece of fruit more often than a candy bar, but I still probably have chocolate everyday in some form. Instead of soda I might instead pour some pure fruit juice into carbonated water. Just small changes to my diet.

When I first got on a treadmill I could barely run a third of a mile at 5 miles an hour. Within a couple weeks I was clearing the first mile in about 9 minutes, then 8 minutes. Now I do the first 3 miles in 23 minutes and I've only been committed to working out for just shy of two months. Weights, the same thing. 15 pound curls were destroying my biceps. Now 40 lbs is not an issue. I have no idea what I weigh, but I'm seeing muscle definition and have lost 4 inches off my waist. Clothes that used to look "good" on me now are ridiculously baggy and childish looking.

Now come the excuses "I have a job", "I have school" etc. Fuck that. You probably still find time to watch movies and play video games everyday. I work a 60 hour week and play games and watch movies too. The simple part was me making a decision that I wouldn't let any more days go by with me being fat. Now comes the hard part. It doesn't matter how tired I am or how much shit I have to do. I go to the gym because my health is more important than anything else that is going on in my life.

There you go. My advice contributed to this thread in detail.

Nice work SeigO. I'm guessing I still have a few pounds on you, but we are about the same size.

Wiktor

There you go. My advice contributed to this thread in detail.
And that's what people expect from posts in this thread, not a message of "your methods suck compared to mine, get a grip" that you posted earlier.

You just need to realize your advice won't work universally for everyon.e I mean crap, following your advice would end up with absolute catastrophe to anyone who's hugely obese. That's why dismissing other people's methods is plain silly. As long as they work and don't damage the body (and going paleo doesn't) it's all good.

big_z

I've been doing that eat less crappy food, work out hard and do it frequently thing that Mikeofthelivingdead mentioned. It's been working decently for me I can see where he's coming from it's sort of annoying that everyone thinks that you have to do a fad/gimmick diet.
6"3 210->180
http://i.imgur.com/2ES5N.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

i've been doing the same and im down 25lbs as of last weeks weigh-in. i do insanity and run on the treadmill(winter here). basically a lot of cardio right now but i plan to add weights later on. if you eat well, don't over eat and excercise you get great results. it's very simple but requires determination and effort. exercise can become habbit forming and then enjoyable if you do it long enough but sadly most people give up before getting to that point.

imo this thread reflects general america when it comes to dieting. people want to lose weight with the least amount of effort and in the end it will bite a majority of them in the ass.

You just need to realize your advice won't work universally for everyon.e I mean crap, following your advice would end up with absolute catastrophe to anyone who's hugely obese. That's why dismissing other people's methods is plain silly. As long as they work and don't damage the body (and going paleo doesn't) it's all good.

Working out hard is relative. Of course an obese person isn't going to do 7 minute miles on a treadmill, but obese people can lift weights, and can run short sprints, and can walk, and can swim. And even the fattest people can accomplish physically amazing things if they push themselves. Look at The Biggest Loser. They take morbidly obese people and make them do 10 mph on a treadmill for a minute almost immediately when they step into the gym the first time, then they get to walk at a reasonable pace. You have to start somewhere. Next thing you know you're running for a mile or two at a time. By medical standards I was obese. I'm guessing at my biggest I was about 6'2" 260. I tried several diets and exercise programs. Problem is I like crappy food and alcohol and I find workout videos repetitive and boring.

Working out and challenging myself is what works for me, and really probably what works for most people if they just commit to it. Seems like a lot of people who are heavy want to diet and take pills until they get down to some magical weight that they'll feel comfortable working out at. Most will probably never get to that weight on diet alone. If you want to lose weight you have to put the work in. It sucks at first no matter how much you weigh, but the great thing is the harder you try, the stronger you get, the easier it becomes.

Wiktor

but obese people can lift weights, and can run short sprints, and can walk, and can swim.

Sure they can. But should they do all that? They definitely should not do any running, not even short sprint. Won't do them any good when it comes to weight loss and even short sprints will still put incredible stress on their joints. Bassicaly all risk, close to zero rewards

Seems like a lot of people who are heavy want to diet and take pills until they get down to some magical weight that they'll feel comfortable working out at. Most will probably never get to that weight on diet alone.
Except that they will have more success while keeping great diet and not doing workouts than while having crappy diet (which is essentially what you advocate, only in moderation) and doing lots of workouts. As much as it sucks, in weight loss 80% of results is diet, especiall if you're going to loose a lot.

of course training is essential part of weight loss, but apparently according to you people shouldn't do p90x, despite the fact that it can be easily modified to allow for obese people to not hurt themselves, while doing typical kardio and weight lifting might.

Also..most people here follow either low-card or just calories reduction, so I have no idea where did you get the terrible diets and magic pills from.

SeanR1221

Mike, go post your "gym routine" in the fitness thread. It's great you've made up your mind on what you want to do there, but it needs some serious work.

Edit, I'm bored so I'll start picking it apart for you.

45-90 minutes in a gym 6 days a week which consists of:
RUNNING a minimum of 4 and up to 6 miles at 6-8+ miles per hour. I don't run at a constant pace. When I need to slow down because my legs are giving up or my pulse is too high, I walk at 5 miles per hour, but my average speed once I'm done is never less than 6 miles per hour.
Lifting Weights, mostly dumbbells. I do different exercises on different days, 3 sets of 10 reps for each exercise. I do 6 to 10 exercises a session. I add up the weight on each rep because I like to know how much weight I moved each day in tons. It's a fun way for me to keep a high score. I do this 4 times a week. The exercises are unimportant. You pick what you want to work on for a particular day and do those exercises. There are a million sites online with dumbbell routines for every part of you body.

6 days a week? When do you recover?

Why do you do so much cardio, and before lifting weights no less?

Why just dumbbells? Why aren't you lifting the olympic bar?

Whatever exercises you want? The exercises are unimportant? How does that make any sense?

6 to 10 exercises? What's the point when you can hit pretty much every part of your body in 3-4 exercises.

Adding up your weight in tons? The fuck? So you do 3 tons per workout? I added my day up yesterday, and it was 8 tons doing 3 exercises, and I was doing 5 reps, not 10.

---

You remind me of myself years ago. Let me tell you my story, since you feel like people just come in here, post what they ate and leave.

In high school I was 220 pounds. At around 5'8 that not just obese, that's fucking morbidly obese. It was disgusting. I distinctly remember the summer before college (in 2005) I made the "do not eat foods list." On the list were: Soda, Sugar, Fried Foods and White Flour. That was my list and I stuck to it. I decided to start running outside, and when I got to college, I'd use the gym.

I made up a dumbbell routine, consisting of, like yourself, 6-10 exercises a session, 3 times a week. When that wasn't enough, I moved to a 5 day split. Then I was doing 6-10 exercises on one body part, once a week. Sometimes I'd run 3 miles before, and a mile after. Did I get in shape? Hell yeah. But remember, I was a complete slob before hand.

So why aren't I doing this routine now?

Well, when you start off, everyone makes gains. But then you plateau. And you plateau hard. I had no recovery time. No rest time. I wasn't getting the proper protein intake. I wasn't doing the compound heavy lifts.

I've been able to keep the majority of my weight off. I went up about 15 pounds in 2009-2010, due to a combination of working while in graduate school, not bothering to cook better foods, and a severe lack of exercise.

So then I decided to go back to my old routine. I figured, it worked before, it must work again. It didn't work. For close to a year. I ran, I lifted, I wasn't getting any stronger.

Now go to 7 weeks ago. I started a heavy, compound lifting program, I'm getting the proper protein intake, and I'm stronger than ever.

Sure they can. But should they do all that? They definitely should not do any running, not even short sprint. Won't do them any good when it comes to weight loss and even short sprints will still put incredible stress on their joints. Bassicaly all risk, close to zero rewards

Except that they will have more success while keeping great diet and not doing workouts than while having crappy diet (which is essentially what you advocate, only in moderation) and doing lots of workouts. As much as it sucks, in weight loss 80% of results is diet, especiall if you're going to loose a lot.

of course training is essential part of weight loss, but apparently according to you people shouldn't do p90x, despite the fact that it can be easily modified to allow for obese people to not hurt themselves, while doing typical kardio and weight lifting might.

Also..most people here follow either low-card or just calories reduction, so I have no idea where did you get the terrible diets and magic pills from.

Are you a really big guy? It sounds like you are making excuses, the sort I've made myself. Believe me I'm not picking on you. I've done the same thing. The point when you are really big and you make the decision to start working out, isn't really about getting a good workout at all at first. Your first few workouts you'll be lucky if you can burn 100 calories because you aren't physically capable of much. When you get started it's about challenging yourself and building confidence. At least it was for me. Yeah I went to the gym and embarrassed myself. Huffing and sweating as I tried to run at a slower pace than most people were walking. Grunting and straining to lift a 15 lb dumbbell. But I did it. I needed to try and see what I could do. Cant run? Walk. Can't walk. Try the elliptical. Try the bike. Grab a 10lb dumbbell and curl it 10 times. The one thing about going to a gym vs doing it at home, is the humiliation of it all. At home I didn't have enough will and incentive to try really hard. At the gym, with all those people, with my self consciousness of what I was doing, that was incentive to really try.

As for P90X, there are guys I work with who have done it and gotten great results, but they weren't to bad off to start with. I tried it and Insanity. It was boring. I couldn't stand listening to that guy saying the same shit over and over. What I realized was yes you will get toned, but it's not really strength training, and there is a limit to how far you can go with it. At the gym there's more weight than I can possibly lift and when I'm running there is no timer, I can always go another 10th of a mile if I have it in me... plus the previously mentioned hot, fit girls.

I don't recommend anyone keep a crappy diet and just exercise. My diet has improved. I do know that if I chose simply to go on a diet, and not work out at all or as hard as I try to, I would not be feeling or looking as good as I do now. I'm not just shedding fat. I'm building muscle. What I'm saying is going to some extreme with your diet and not exercising is not the way to go, especially if it's a diet you can't mentally or physically live with long term. Let's be honest, how many people on a diet here expect to eat this way for the rest of their life? Probably almost none. Most probably think they are going to do it until they hit a goal and then slowly introduce things they really want to eat, or they are going to be miserable all week and live for their cheat days, which will eventually become cheat week and then cheat year. Personally I don't like seeing food as an enemy and I don't like spending any brains cycles counting and agonizing over calories and carbs. Food is not just about what creates fat and what builds muscle. It contributes to your overall mental health both physiologically and psychologically. You need carbs and glucose. It's quick to burn energy that will keep you mentally sharp and sometimes certain foods just make you happy and you need that. Having a shitty day? Why not have a piece of chocolate? It will improve your mood and sometimes you need that more than you need to stay under 1,500 calories for the day. Just be reasonable about what you are eating in general and get some real honest to goodness exercise regularly is all.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dude says people in here are living dangerous lifestyles that can't be continued for the rest of their lives. Then he posts his six-days-a-week chronic cardio routine that will almost certainly lead to injury and most likely won't be continued long-term.

Dude says people in here are living dangerous lifestyles that can't be continued for the rest of their lives. Then he posts his six-days-a-week chronic cardio routine that will almost certainly lead to injury and most likely won't be continued long-term.
My thoughts exactly. All we're advocating with Paleo is to not eat bread and rice and sugar. Yet THAT is unsustainable. Makes sense.

October 2009 (~109kg/240lbs)
qA8vW.jpg

In blue on the right

February 2012 (74.8kg/165lbs)
zYWhR.jpg

In black in the center

Slimming down doesn't mean you can't still win at competitive videogames :)

Edited to make it more clear which one I am in both pictures. Guess people aren't lying when they say I'm unrecognizable.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i havent been meticulously tracking myself but several months ago i went back on the low-carb way of life. i had stopped for almost two years due to money issues. After a months of little more than ramen noodles and rice i was very near the largest ive ever been. Anyway, i got a job so i could return to a healthier lifestyle.

Since December ive lost about 40 or so pounds with minimal effort. Similar results have occurred previous times ive done the low-carb thing. i should note that i actually exercise less now because im more strapped for time than when i was ballooning up (id go on walks twice a day then because of the boredom).

im sure its been mentioned in the thread before but the Up Day/Down Day or Alternate Day Diet or whatever has me intrigued. So far its been so good. Its easy to get through any hunger on a down day because i know tomorrow when i wake up i can eat something more than basically plain salad or protein shake.

Speaking of protein shakes. ive had major problems with shake supplements before. Mainly the issue is that they are disgusting. They are so much more bearable with milk but milk is a no-no when lowcarbing. i have found a fantastic alternative. Almond milk. There are zero net carbs.. their is only one carb per serving and its fiber. ive used the Silk Original and the Silk Vanilla. Use either with the shake mix.. add in a packet of Splenda.. and you have turned something gagworthy into delicious yumminess.

edit: Oh and if you like yogurt like i do but cant find any that have less than about 20g of sugar per, try locating a Kroger grocery store in your area (they might go by different names where you live). They sell a Kroger brand yogurt called CarbMaster with only 3g per. Thats an amazingly low amount of carbs for yogurt. And they are cheap too. i just picked up 10 for $4 so price is not an issue. i loaded up with 30 of them yesterday lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Such a big urge to have a cheat day today...can't handle it. Don't know what I am going to do.

Thinking Chicken Vindaalo with a couple of Nanas...fuck

Have your cheat day/meal right after heavy lifting, it offsets many negative effects by having the food go straight towards replenishing glycogen and muscle repair.

When I have cheat days, I make it a leptin carb refeed. You should, too, if you've been low carb and/or low calorie for an extended period of time.

Xelinis

If you're worried about counting calories and thinking about replacing eggs with Fiber One, you're in the wrong thread.

If you're tired of just eggs, add some bacon.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
That Carbmaster yogurt is disgusting. Bleh.

Yeah, I didn't care for it either. After a long time being anti-Greek yogurt, I found that Fage is actually really delicious and almost impossibly good for you. The 2% version has like 23g of protein in a serving (more than the full fat variety, oddly enough) and only 8 carbs.

Yeah, I didn't care for it either. After a long time being anti-Greek yogurt, I found that Fage is actually really delicious and almost impossibly good for you. The 2% version has like 23g of protein in a serving (more than the full fat variety, oddly enough) and only 8 carbs.

Yeah, Fage 2% is glorious.

I used to be a Chobani devotee, but Fage destroys it.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

1 serving of Chobani/Fage Plain Greek Yogurt
1 cup of mixed berries
1 cup of water
1-2 packets of Stevia

Blend in blender. Best healthy protein fruit smoothie ever.

You're welcome. :)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Yeah, I was buying Chobani for a while because Safeway always had it on sale, but when that stopped, I tried a container of Fage they had marked half off and haven't looked back since. I wince at the higher price every time, but the taste and nutritional values are so much better than anything else on the market.

1 serving of Chobani/Fage Plain Greek Yogurt
1 cup of mixed berries
1 cup of water
1-2 packets of Stevia

Blend in blender. Best healthy protein fruit smoothie ever.

Alas, there is no blender in my kitchen. I just have the yogurt with fresh berries and some raw almonds a few days a week.

Yeah, I was buying Chobani for a while because Safeway always had it on sale, but when that stopped, I tried a container of Fage they had marked half off and haven't looked back since. I wince at the higher price every time, but the taste and nutritional values are so much better than anything else on the market.

And hey, you get a free circle of parchment paper with every cup.

So there's that.

andycapps

Greek yogurt is really good, just had some for the first time this week. Shame it's at least twice as much as regular yogurt. Hopefully the prices come down with more popularity.

Greek yogurt is really good, just had some for the first time this week. Shame it's at least twice as much as regular yogurt. Hopefully the prices come down with more popularity.

It takes a lot more milk to produce Greek yogurt, so it will probably always cost a bit more.

Both FAGE's and Chobani's main plants are here in New York, and the dairies in the northeast can't keep up with demand.

Chobani is opening a plant in Idaho later this year, which should lower their prices a little bit. I don't know if FAGE is expanding yet or not.

andycapps

It takes a lot more milk to produce Greek yogurt, so it will probably always cost a bit more.

Both Fage's and Chobani's main plants are here in New York, and the dairies in the northeast can't keep up with demand.

Chobani is opening a plant in Idaho later this year, which should lower their prices a little bit. I don't know if Fage is expanding yet or not.

Right, that makes sense. Just hoping it comes down to something where it costs $.10 more or something like that. I like the consistency and flavor of it a lot more than regular yogurt, though I think yogurt in general is great.

harSon

Banned
Can't wait to post my quarterly results in 5 weeks, I'm down to 189.5 from 201.5 pounds (January 8th weigh in). I have been doing Insanity, just entering the 2nd month last week; as well as weight lifting 3 days a week and a 4 mile jog on non-weight training days except Sunday which is my off day. I've also been playing a lot of full court pick up basketball lately. I'm still on my Ketosis diet, although I'm looking to transition over into a Paleo diet in the near future once I've done some more research.

Fat is just flying off me atm, and that's with 2 or so weeks of completely fucking up. One week resulting from overexerting myself physically, becoming a useless piece of meat for a week. And another during the week of my birthday, when I basically took the week off from dieting/excercising, eating whatever I want and consuming a shit ton of alcohol. I still managed to not gain a pound during these times, I guess my metabolisms at the point where I can get away with a few things?

My diet has changed a little bit. I've been having a Protein Smoothie for breakfast every morning (Natural Whey Protein, Almond Milk, Strawberries, Blackberries and Raspberries) which I drink directly after my Insanity work out in the morning. A simple salad in between the Smoothie and Lunch. I've pushed back my traditional breakfast to lunch (Typically 2 Eggs, 2 strips of Bacon and 2 Sausages... sometimes Chorizo with the eggs). And my dinners are pretty traditional: Some piece of meat (Chicken, Sausage, Steak, Pork Chop, Fish, etc.) and Broccoli, Squash/Zuccini or a Salad. Sometimes I make a Chicken/Steak/Shrimp and Vegetable Stir Fry. Or if I have the time, I'll make low carb enchiladas using Flat Out Bread or a low carb cauli flower pizza.

These next 5 weeks should result in some fairly impressive fat loss and body toning, considering I've given up Alcohol completely (Starting last Sunday) until the next quarter and will not be utilizing any cheat days during this period either. Shouldn't be too bad considering I won't be going out much since I'll have a shit ton of homework/studying to do till the end of quarter.

I'm hoping to get down to 180 pounds by the start of next quarter, which is April 2nd, which has been my goal weight this entire time. Feels awesome to see the light at the end of the tunnel after this 2 year transformation. I've dropped from 351 pounds to 189.5 pounds since beginning, for a total of 161.5 pounds lost. I'll be posting my traditional comparison pictures in a little over a month, can't wait!

And could someone point me towards some good websites dealing with Paleo diets?

Right, that makes sense. Just hoping it comes down to something where it costs $.10 more or something like that. I like the consistency and flavor of it a lot more than regular yogurt, though I think yogurt in general is great.

Personally, I think it was kind of dumb for them to set up shop in New York. Everything here is super expensive, and the dairy sector here continues to shrink. I think they should have started in the Midwest, which would have given them cheaper production costs and easier access to western markets.

Sorry, I just happen to know a ridiculous amount about Greek yogurt because of my job.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Can't wait to post my quarterly results in 5 weeks, I'm down to 189.5 from 201.5 pounds (January 8th weigh in). I have been doing Insanity, just entering the 2nd month last week; as well as weight lifting 3 days a week and a 4 mile jog on non-weight training days except Sunday which is my off day. I've also been playing a lot of full court pick up basketball lately. I'm still on my Ketosis diet, although I'm looking to transition over into a Paleo diet in the near future once I've done some more research.

Fat is just flying off me atm, and that's with 2 or so weeks of completely fucking up. One week resulting from overexerting myself physically, becoming a useless piece of meat for a week. And another during the week of my birthday, when I basically took the week off from dieting/excercising, eating whatever I want and consuming a shit ton of alcohol. I still managed to not gain a pound during these times, I guess my metabolisms at the point where I can get away with a few things?

My diet has changed a little bit. I've been having a Protein Smoothie for breakfast every morning (Natural Whey Protein, Almond Milk, Strawberries, Blackberries and Raspberries) which I drink directly after my Insanity work out in the morning. A simple salad in between the Smoothie and Lunch. I've pushed back my traditional breakfast to lunch (Typically 2 Eggs, 2 strips of Bacon and 2 Sausages... sometimes Chorizo with the eggs). And my dinners are pretty traditional: Some piece of meat (Chicken, Sausage, Steak, Pork Chop, Fish, etc.) and Broccoli, Squash/Zuccini or a Salad. Sometimes I make a Chicken/Steak/Shrimp and Vegetable Stir Fry. Or if I have the time, I'll make low carb enchiladas using Flat Out Bread or a low carb cauli flower pizza.

These next 5 weeks should result in some fairly impressive fat loss and body toning, considering I've given up Alcohol completely (Starting last Sunday) until the next quarter and will not be utilizing any cheat days during this period either. Shouldn't be too bad considering I won't be going out much since I'll have a shit ton of homework/studying to do till the end of quarter.

I'm hoping to get down to 180 pounds by the start of next quarter, which is April 2nd, which has been my goal weight this entire time. Feels awesome to see the light at the end of the tunnel after this 2 year transformation. I've dropped from 351 pounds to 189.5 pounds since beginning, for a total of 161.5 pounds lost. I'll be posting my traditional comparison pictures in a little over a month, can't wait!

And could someone point me towards some good websites dealing with Paleo diets?

You're quite nearly half the man you used to be. Congrats! :)

I'll be honest, a part of me wants to race you. :p I started the year around 202, and my scale this morning claimed I'm at 189.5 as well. I'm kinda curious how far I'll be with just low-carb and calorie reduction (no keto, no exercise regiment) vs. you with your regiment, just as a loose comparison.

Top Bottom