• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Breakfast. Pastured eggs!

cdecc58663b711e19896123138142014_7.jpg

http://instagr.am/p/HosESENpXz/

Right after I tweeted this someone replied saying my heart hates me and that I should be eating whole grains for breakfast.

scy

Right after I tweeted this someone replied saying my heart hates me and that I should be eating whole grains for breakfast.

Nutrition really needs a standard somewhere.

Also, I couldn't care less what nutrition says, I love me some eggs. Eggs being unhealthy would be the end of my ability to ever diet properly :x

windz

Nutrition really needs a standard somewhere.

Also, I couldn't care less what nutrition says, I love me some eggs. Eggs being unhealthy would be the end of my ability to ever diet properly :x

At least 5 days a week I have 3 eggs 3 strips of bacon for breakfast and I love it :).

Can't do it every day because the good stuff is pricey but a new favorite breakfast of mine is smoked salmon with cream cheese and scrambled eggs. So good.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Eggs are my dinner 2 days a week. 4 eggs + tuna + veggies is awesome.

Can't do it every day because the good stuff is pricey but a new favorite breakfast of mine is smoked salmon with cream cheese and scrambled eggs. So good.

Now Gary, we all know you are a multi-billionaire and live in a pool of money. :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I've got to find a place that sells pastured eggs. I've heard such good things.

Maybe I should check out a local farmer's market.

I just want to poke my head in and share something here...

I've found my caloric intake has dropped to 1,200-1,300. It sounded pretty crazy in the beginning, but I can't believe how easy the transition has been. I'm never hungry, I'm eating foods I really enjoy and I'm not tired. Those are all things I've experienced in the past, so I'm stunned this time around.

The one thing I did differently?

It's going to sound stupid, but I cooked. I went online and found some great recipes, cooked a BUNCH of food, put them all in single serving tupperware containers and then stacked the entire freezer with them. I made turkey chili, baked garlic chicken breast with brown rice, chicken stir-fry, individual salads... I even filled more containers with uncooked instant oatmeal.

I work 12-13 hours a day, so dieting and working out is unbelievably difficult for me. There just aren't enough hours in the day. But with this, I just grab my breakfast and lunch and head to work. Everything is there and ready to where I don't think about it. The time saving is huge, but I think mentally it's even helped me more.

Of course, it's not a new idea. I had read it time and time again... Prepare large quantities of food that can be put in the freezer. But I just wanted to say that this is my first time trying and I can't believe the advantage it's given me. I began at 1,700 calories a day and just found that I wasn't reaching the ceiling. I'm now averaging 1,200, but I'm also trying to be aware of not going too low and sending my body into starvation mode. I'll likely use almonds (healthy fat, high calorie) for padding if needed.

ANYWAY... I sit here, after doing my p90x workout, eating amazing turkey chili, drinking an iced tea and watching Thursday Night Throwdown, feeling like I've finally found that one thing that has flipped the switch. :)

Edit: Turkey chili recipe.

dreadfulwater

aka morbidesque
I am a 44 year old guy...back in 1999 was the last time I was happy with my weight. I am 5' 10 and back then I weighed 185.

fast forward..got married in 2002 and my weight gradually climbed..call it marriage rut, getting comfortable. my ex was a great cook as well.

I separated last August and my weight was 240....What a horrible time for me, devastating really. even though I had been with her for 12 years we decided it was best to "free" each other..doesn't matter why.

then I started making changes..cardio, stopped eating shitty food, started dating again... the formula was easy..eat less, sweat more. Admittedly, there was some weight loss due to the stress of the breakup.

Me in Jan 2011..I was pretty much this weight this past August as well....240 lbs

2011-01-23215144.jpg

Me in Times Square Dec 31 2011....195 lbs Its a brand new day my friends

386703_163111577127333_100002854748404_221738_1962688439_n.jpg

I am still dropping weight but only one or 2 lbs per month now. I was pre diabetic a year ago, and got sweaty putting on a light switch cover....sad.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

It's going to sound stupid, but I cooked. I went online and found some great recipes, cooked a BUNCH of food, put them all in single serving tupperware containers and then stacked the entire freezer with them. I made turkey chili, baked garlic chicken breast with brown rice, chicken stir-fry, individual salads... I even filled more containers with uncooked instant oatmeal.

I believe it.

Look at the ingredients for fast food and restaurants. They are engineered to make you overeat. Home cooked stuff with traditional foods doesn't do that.

teh_pwn

Breakfast. Pastured eggs!

cdecc58663b711e19896123138142014_7.jpg

http://instagr.am/p/HosESENpXz/

Tweet back that Brawdo is what plants crave cuz it has electrolytes.

Or more seriously, ask what they think about this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_paradox#Overview

According to FAO data,[5][dead link] the average French person consumed 108 grams per day of fat from animal sources in 2002 while the average American consumed only 72. The French eat four times as much butter, 60 percent more cheese and nearly three times as much pork. Although the French consume only slightly more total fat (171 g/d vs 157 g/d), they consume much more saturated fat because Americans consume a much larger proportion of fat in the form of vegetable oil, with most of that being soybean oil.[6][dead link] However, according to data from the British Heart Foundation,[7][dead link] in 1999, rates of death from coronary heart disease among males aged 35–74 years were 115 per 100,000 people in the U.S. but only 83 per 100,000 in France.

grumble

Tweet back that Brawdo is what plants crave cuz it has electrolytes.

Or more seriously, ask what they think about this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_paradox#Overview

They'd probably argue that any saturated fat contribution is more than offset by the much lower obesity rate in France.

US: 30.6%
France 9.4%

(2005 OECD)

There are a lot of books on why the French stay so thin. The consensus is that it's part smoking, part diet and a big part a cultural aversion of obesity. It's just 'not okay' to be fat in France (yet), and the way they handle food is different (smaller portions, less snacking, richer food).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I just want to poke my head in and share something here...

I've found my caloric intake has dropped to 1,200-1,300. It sounded pretty crazy in the beginning, but I can't believe how easy the transition has been. I'm never hungry, I'm eating foods I really enjoy and I'm not tired. Those are all things I've experienced in the past, so I'm stunned this time around.

I work 12-13 hours a day, so dieting and working out is unbelievably difficult for me. There just aren't enough hours in the day. But with this, I just grab my breakfast and lunch and head to work. Everything is there and ready to where I don't think about it. The time saving is huge, but I think mentally it's even helped me more.

Of course, it's not a new idea. I had read it time and time again... Prepare large quantities of food that can be put in the freezer. But I just wanted to say that this is my first time trying and I can't believe the advantage it's given me. I began at 1,700 calories a day and just found that I wasn't reaching the ceiling. I'm now averaging 1,200, but I'm also trying to be aware of not going too low and sending my body into starvation mode. I'll likely use almonds (healthy fat, high calorie) for padding if needed.

ANYWAY... I sit here, after doing my p90x workout, eating amazing turkey chili, drinking an iced tea and watching Thursday Night Throwdown, feeling like I've finally found that one thing that has flipped the switch. :)

Edit: Turkey chili recipe.
If I have premade food I could diet like crazy. I really should put together a plan because I love eating what I make.
Need to put my crockpot on overdrive. I usually just toss some peas and tri tip in there, or chicken.

MG310

Put batteries in the scale again last week and I'm down 45 pounds so far (down to 292). Slacking lately on the workouts but trying to eat properly to maintain. My eating pretty much goes like this..

Monday/Tuesday I'm off work so its easier (I work in a restaurant) so I'll usually just have a greek yogurt for lunch around 1 or so and then whatever for dinner with a randomly placed snack before or after dinner.

On work days I've been doing..

Noon - Smoothie - 5 strawberries, 10 blueberries, banana, orange juice, plain greek yogurt

Between 2-4 - small snack, soup, a small sandwich or carrots/celery

Dinner - between 5 and 6. Usually a brown rice/whatever veggies are available/chicken concoction - mostly curry/stir fry type stuff.

Seems to be working..hoping to lose about 25 more by June though of course more would be welcome.

scy

If I have premade food I could diet like crazy. I really should put together a plan because I love eating what I make.
Need to put my crockpot on overdrive. I usually just toss some peas and tri tip in there, or chicken.

I can't believe I don't own a crock pot; would really free up time during my work week.

I just can't bring myself to cooking in bulk and setting it aside for some reason; just always prefer cooking things fresh. Except, oddly, weekends. I'll cook bigger things (pot roasts, meatloaf, etc.) and just eat that for the next few days. Bizarre now that I think about it :x

I am a 44 year old guy...back in 1999 was the last time I was happy with my weight. I am 5' 10 and back then I weighed 185.

fast forward..got married in 2002 and my weight gradually climbed..call it marriage rut, getting comfortable. my ex was a great cook as well.

I separated last August and my weight was 240....What a horrible time for me, devastating really. even though I had been with her for 12 years we decided it was best to "free" each other..doesn't matter why.

then I started making changes..cardio, stopped eating shitty food, started dating again... the formula was easy..eat less, sweat more. Admittedly, there was some weight loss due to the stress of the breakup.

Me in Jan 2011..I was pretty much this weight this past August as well....240 lbs

Me in Times Square Dec 31 2011....195 lbs Its a brand new day my friends

I am still dropping weight but only one or 2 lbs per month now. I was pre diabetic a year ago, and got sweaty putting on a light switch cover....sad.

Wow! Also amazing how losing weight and getting in better health makes one looks younger too. You look many years younger in your after pic

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Tell me what you think. I added a jalapeno and some chili sauce to the recipe.
I thought I had tomato soup, but I don't so it's going to wait. Might go to the corner store though. I left out the onion as well, that's what I get for not writing it down.

UrokeJoe

I've started on a low carb diet. About two weeks in, gotta say Gary was a huge influence. I've also bought in audible and book form Why We Get Fat. Feeling pretty good so far...
Don't know about how much weight, but my insides feel leaner and less bloated already.

Alcohol is my Achilles. I have cut back on that, but that is the hardest part.

I thought I had tomato soup, but I don't so it's going to wait. Might go to the corner store though. I left out the onion as well, that's what I get for not writing it down.

Not tomato soup. It's sliced tomatoes. Big difference, my friend. :)

Pick up some low sugar instant oatmeal as well. I eat two packets every day (240 cal) and it keeps me going for hours. One of my goals for the weekend is to find a creative way to make something good using fresh vegetables alone. Hopefully I can find something and lean on that as a snack. Need an alternative to salads.

Normally, I'd have fallen off the wagon weeks ago. Still going and I haven't even experienced a bump in the road yet.

Trying to lose weight right now. Work place was running a "get fit" program with an extra incentive: everyone pitches in $5, and they split the final pot between the man and woman who lose the most weight (proportionally).

I've gone from 270 to 262 in about two weeks, and am going to be cutting out some carbs from my traditional diet when I can. Also going to be using a step machine for 25-30 minutes a day, five days a week. Plus some muscle exercises every two days or so.

I don't even care at this point if I get the money or not. I just need to get healthier.

EDIT: I also was checking out some things at www.caloriecount.com and...ugh, it hurts seeing some of my favorite foods have fat/sugar that is ridiculously high.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Pick up some low sugar instant oatmeal as well. I eat two packets every day (240 cal) and it keeps me going for hours.

Since you aren't doing low carb, may I suggest a bag of basic rolled oats instead of the Quaker packets?

- You'll save a substantial amount of money: I've gotten 5lb bags at the grocery store for the same cost as two boxes of the Quaker. That's 30 servings to the 10 that you're getting from packets.
- They cook just as quickly: oats + water or milk for 90 seconds in the microwave, done.
- For the exact same amount of oats, you'll save in the area of 140 calories, 30 carbs, and 5g of sugar with an indistinguishable difference in the protein or fat.
- It's very easy to liven up the flavor with things like cinnamon, a splash of vanilla, berries, peanut butter (if that's something allowable on your personal diet), etc.

Just some thoughts!

SeanR1221

This might seem dumb, but sometimes we don't think straight when it comes to weight loss.

I have this button down shirt that I thought I looked great in on Facebook. I have been trying to get that same look, but I still don't think it looks as good, and feels unusually tight.

Problem is, the shirt is from 2007 and it's 100% cotton. Part of me wants to think I'm doing fine with my weight, and the shirt has probably been shrunken even a little by now (since it's 5 years old) but another part of me thinks I still have work to do.

This might seem dumb, but sometimes we don't think straight when it comes to weight loss.

I have this button down shirt that I thought I looked great in on Facebook. I have been trying to get that same look, but I still don't think it looks as good, and feels unusually tight.

Problem is, the shirt is from 2007 and it's 100% cotton. Part of me wants to think I'm doing fine with my weight, and the shirt has probably been shrunken even a little by now (since it's 5 years old) but another part of me thinks I still have work to do.

I have "skinny" shirts from 2007 that I'm still trying to fit into. Then again, I think that even if I was skinny, my bone structure is just too big for some of them. Maybe it's all that muscle you've put on!

If I'm doing a low carb diet, but want to eat carbs for Stronglifts lifting days, how much should I add to not mess up my low carb dieting? Is it better to just eat beans as carbs (since they're low glycemic)? Whole wheat bread? Brown rice? Thanks for the help.

I've started on a low carb diet. About two weeks in, gotta say Gary was a huge influence. I've also bought in audible and book form Why We Get Fat. Feeling pretty good so far...
Don't know about how much weight, but my insides feel leaner and less bloated already.

Alcohol is my Achilles. I have cut back on that, but that is the hardest part.

Cut back drinking to one or two nights a week and drink unflavored vodkas and diet sodas

OG Kush

I have "skinny" shirts from 2007 that I'm still trying to fit into. Then again, I think that even if I was skinny, my bone structure is just too big for some of them. Maybe it's all that muscle you've put on!

If I'm doing a low carb diet, but want to eat carbs for Stronglifts lifting days, how much should I add to not mess up my low carb dieting? Is it better to just eat beans as carbs (since they're low glycemic)? Whole wheat bread? Brown rice? Thanks for the help.

From what I've read from paleo people who incorpoate a few carbs on workout days, rice and potatoes are good. Brown rice and sweet potatoes preferably.
I could be wrong though so if someone wants to correct me please do!

OG Kush

How about a banana post lifting?

Goin by Tim Ferris' (author or 4 hour body) slow-carb diet, he believes your allowed white carbs within 1.5 hours of finishing a resistance-training workout of at least 20 minutes in length.
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blo...of-fat-in-30-days-without-doing-any-exercise/

It's all upto you really, as there are quite a few diff variations on routine on low-carb, but personally I don't see how a banana will damage you after lifting.

teh_pwn

I've lost 50 pounds since end of September. Almost exactly 5 months ago. Was 190 and now I'm 140. I did it with basically no exercise and all by changing my eating habits. Eating less. That's it. I still eat all the foods I love but just a lot less of it. I think people make weight loss a lot more confusing than it needs to be. You don't need to go on special diets and count carbs and what not. I think it we are talking about building muscle then that's a different story and there's more involved with what your eating and what kind of exercise your doing. But if you want to shed some fat just eat less. Motivation is key though. Find something or someone you love and want to get healthier because of that/them. For me it was going back to school.

I do walk everywhere though because I don't drive. Probably about 5 km a day to and from bus stops and around town/campus. So that was my exercise I guess. Other than that It was all eating habits.

This doesn't work for everyone. Before I dieted a couple of years ago, I was basically in denial about gradual weight gain and "plans" to reduce food intake without changing my diet. I would modify - get high fiber whole grain tortillas with home made mexican stuff. Or whole grain pizza.

The problem for me is that I had become addicted to those foods. After I have a slice of pizza, I have to eat the whole thing until it's gone. If I portion size, I'll constantly think of it in the fridge. The only times I was successful at portion sizing is when I only cooked the amount needed.

You'll see this addiction on GAF with nearly weekly food porn threads of foods people are addicted to. They say addicted jokingly not realizing many of them are actually addicted.

Using low carb, paleo, then low food reward diet, I lost the weight based on hunger. Now I can cook French cuisine that tastes great, fills me up fast without needing calorie labels, is extremely nutritious, and I feel more energetic/healthier after eating. Stuff most people eats makes you get a "food coma" after eating because it's garbage.

For anyone doing paleo or low reward, use potatoes as your starch.

Just so everyone is clear eating low-carb isn't eating unlimited amounts of food. All diets need to set up a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. While low carbing prevents huge insulin spikes and the positive feedback cycle that can create, once you feel satiated stop eating. Adding something like cardio or lifting will widen the deficit already created by your diet and you should be well on your way. Also once your body gets to a certain point, diet will simply not be enough. As you lose weight, your BMR lowers so you need to exercise to keep your body running a deficit.

Edit: not to mention that exercise boosts your metabolism and decreases insulin resistance. I'd recommend some form of HIIT followed by like 20 minutes of walking or light jogging 2-3x a week

Just so everyone is clear eating low-carb isn't eating unlimited amounts of food. All diets need to set up a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. While low carbing prevents huge insulin spikes and the positive feedback cycle that can create, once you feel satiated stop eating. Adding something like cardio or lifting will widen the deficit already created by your diet and you should be well on your way. Also once your body gets to a certain point, diet will simply not be enough. As you lose weight, your BMR lowers so you need to exercise to keep your body running a deficit.

Edit: not to mention that exercise boosts your metabolism and decreases insulin resistance. I'd recommend some form of HIIT followed by like 20 minutes of walking or light jogging 2-3x a week
I don't think anyone here has claimed that you can eat unlimited amounts of food.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Using low carb, paleo, then low food reward diet, I lost the weight based on hunger. Now I can cook French cuisine that tastes great, fills me up fast without needing calorie labels, is extremely nutritious, and I feel more energetic/healthier after eating. Stuff most people eats makes you get a "food coma" after eating because it's garbage.

Out of curiosity, what kind of meals do you eat these days, teh_pwn?

dantehemi

I had enough!! After some heavy reading I decided that I'm gonna carb up today. It's been 1 month and I put on 1lb, I seem to be really stuck at a plateau. I'm 382lbs and keto hasnt produced the weight loss that I was hopping for. I feel great while I'm on keto, but I just haven't been losing weight. So today I'll eat carbs (for the first time in 2 months) and then get my self back into keto monday, and see if this helps at all.

For lunch I had 2 subs. And I plan on having a plate of pasta tonight for dinner. I might enjoy some snacks today also that I have been craving over the last 2 months. Probably some chips. That should effectively throw me out of keto, and when I start back again on monday, I hope it gives me the jolt I need. My first goal is 350lbs.

SeanR1221

I had enough!! After some heavy reading I decided that I'm gonna carb up today. It's been 1 month and I put on 1lb, I seem to be really stuck at a plateau. I'm 382lbs and keto hasnt produced the weight loss that I was hopping for. I feel great while I'm on keto, but I just haven't been losing weight. So today I'll eat carbs (for the first time in 2 months) and then get my self back into keto monday, and see if this helps at all.

For lunch I had 2 subs. And I plan on having a plate of pasta tonight for dinner. I might enjoy some snacks today also that I have been craving over the last 2 months. Probably some chips. That should effectively throw me out of keto, and when I start back again on monday, I hope it gives me the jolt I need. My first goal is 350lbs.

Did you try decreasing your calorie intake like I suggested?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Write down exactly what you eat over the next two days while on low carb.

That means you have a pen and paper and you write down what the package says for everything.

I feel your pain as I haven't been losing on low carb either (<20g and in keto, eating 1500-2300 a day) and I'm sure as hell under my BMR. Pretty sure my BMR has shifted down to supersloth or something. Gotta move around a bit more.

dantehemi

Did you try decreasing your calorie intake like I suggested?

Yeah i tried cutting cals, I was down to about 2000 a day, sometimes less. When I get back on keto tommorow I'm gonna go at it differently. Im gonna keep it clean, no cheese, no diet soda, no snacks (feta stuffed jalapeño peppers) just gonna keep it clean with eggs, bacon, meat, broccoli, that's it!!! And tons of water. I have to lose this fucking weight

teh_pwn

Out of curiosity, what kind of meals do you eat these days, teh_pwn?

Lookup Julia Child, and remove the bakery & desserts.

Anytime I eat modern food industry stuff on social occasions, I still overeat, so 80% of the time I cook at home.

SeanR1221

Yeah i tried cutting cals, I was down to about 2000 a day, sometimes less. When I get back on keto tommorow I'm gonna go at it differently. Im gonna keep it clean, no cheese, no diet soda, no snacks (feta stuffed jalapeño peppers) just gonna keep it clean with eggs, bacon, meat, broccoli, that's it!!! And tons of water. I have to lose this fucking weight

How long did you cut down your calories? If you went say, two weeks on that kind of calorie deficit and gained a pound, something is wrong, or you're not telling us the whole story.

Top Bottom