• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Gruco

Banned

Wanted to respond to this, albeit belatedly, as it dovetails nicely with a variety of other things I've been reading lately. Basically, it seems like there are a few vectors of attack against low carbing:

1) It's not about the insulin, it's about food reward. Or other varieties of simply saying that carbs control insulin controls fat is not such a direct path after all. This is probably the main point in the quoted article, and Guyenet probably does the most thorough job of going down this road.

2) Is that the idea that carbs are nutritionally empty is not necessarily true. The Jaminets tend to push this the hardest of people I've seen, and talk about the value of carbs of things like mucus production and fueling cells with no/low mitochondria.

3) Is the idea that grains don't necessarily have to have such a bad nutritional profile when properly prepared. The Weston Price Foundation has apparently been beating this drum for some time, Guyenet has made several similar comments, and even Sisson has shown interest (although it seems he is more curious about the practice than genuinely recommending it).

From personal experience, I stopped eating carbs after reading Why We Get Fat, and really did not enjoy the experience. I felt like my mood soured, and I started to get dry eyes, which is not something I've heard about elsewhere but Jaminet(s) warns of it in Perfect Health Diet. I also don't think it had an effect on my body composition, though this may be because I'm already pretty lean and had trouble getting enough calories to put on muscle without carbs. I definitively don't plan on trying it again. Potatoes are delicious, rice can be a pain to soak/ferment if it's brown, but it's not that hard to plan ahead, etc.

I've often heard the argument that calorie counters are successful because they cut down carbs with everything else, but it's just as easy to argue that low carb dieters get healthier because they're cutting down on processed crap and thus eating less HFCS, Omega 6 oils, gluten, etc., and not being induced to overeat as much. Which is certainly a comforting argument because it suggests that carbs aren't inherently fattening and we don't need to be afraid of them.

Last, there is an intuitive appeal to the idea that not all carbs have to be bad. After all, there is a broad range of vegetable and animal product quality. The quoted article makes this point pretty directly. The trick is that other than tubers and white rice, the quality of a grain in more built into it's preparation than anything else. But at the very least, there's a pretty big difference between sourdough rye and wonderbread.

Anyway, I suppose this post isn't for anyone in particular, it's just the article fits in nicely with the trend of evidence I've been seeing that carbs can and should have a healthy place in the diet. I love Why We Get Fat for it's incredibly effective, and important description of the limitations and endogeneity of the Cal In/Cal Out model, but the one-dimensionality of the book's central thesis starting to show. For anyone who is interested in synthesizing carbs with paleo, I strongly recommend both Perfect Health Diet and Nourishing Traditions

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I have successfully made.... an omelette! :O

Yes I'm so bad at cooking that this is an accomplishment for me. Hardest part of low carb, you kinda have to learn to cook.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I have successfully made.... an omelette! :O

Yes I'm so bad at cooking that this is an accomplishment for me. Hardest part of low carb, you kinda have to learn to cook.
Here's how I make my breakfast (scrambled):

4 eggs
oil
cheese
salsa
(meat if you want it, chicken works well)

Cold pan, low heat, melt whatever oil you are using. Add eggs, cheese. Stir.
High heat 1 min, no heat 30s. Stir. Add salsa. Stir.
Repeat high/off until done. Keep stirring. (You can just do medium if you are lazy)

You should stop while they still have moisture on the eggs, then let them sit in the pan while the heat is off for a little bit, constantly stirring.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Here is an update on my progress. I have a few more days left of P90X.

I just posted this in the P90X thread but thought I would post it here as well, because I'm kind of proud of myself for getting this far. Quoted is my last post:

Day 1

6843179231_6c3ebfaa6c.jpg
6843179725_bedf6be353.jpg
6843178625_bf6bd4f4d6.jpg

Day 50

6843173949_ea0a29d352.jpg
6843171279_cc7c173106.jpg

Day 74
6829586984_b033bec012_z.jpg

I think when I'm done, I'm going to start bulking.

dantehemi

Amazing results, when I get down to a lower weight I think I will start doing p90x.

Note on my progress....1 week after resetting myself and carbing up (was doing keto) I have went from 385lbs to 377lbs. So I'm pretty happy about that. Hopefully the weight keeps coming off like this.

harSon

Banned
RpUJS.jpg

I'm pretty damn close to where I want to be weight wise, I'm just going to be working on building muscle from this point on. I've also transitioned from a low-carb diet to a Paleo diet with only one exception, protein powder (it's low carb though) considering paleo friendly ones cost an arm and a leg.

entremet

Wanted to respond to this, albeit belatedly, as it dovetails nicely with a variety of other things I've been reading lately. Basically, it seems like there are a few vectors of attack against low carbing:

1) It's not about the insulin, it's about food reward. Or other varieties of simply saying that carbs control insulin controls fat is not such a direct path after all. This is probably the main point in the quoted article, and Guyenet probably does the most thorough job of going down this road.

2) Is that the idea that carbs are nutritionally empty is not necessarily true. The Jaminets tend to push this the hardest of people I've seen, and talk about the value of carbs of things like mucus production and fueling cells with no/low mitochondria.

3) Is the idea that grains don't necessarily have to have such a bad nutritional profile when properly prepared. The Weston Price Foundation has apparently been beating this drum for some time, Guyenet has made several similar comments, and even Sisson has shown interest (although it seems he is more curious about the practice than genuinely recommending it).

From personal experience, I stopped eating carbs after reading Why We Get Fat, and really did not enjoy the experience. I felt like my mood soured, and I started to get dry eyes, which is not something I've heard about elsewhere but Jaminet(s) warns of it in Perfect Health Diet. I also don't think it had an effect on my body composition, though this may be because I'm already pretty lean and had trouble getting enough calories to put on muscle without carbs. I definitively don't plan on trying it again. Potatoes are delicious, rice can be a pain to soak/ferment if it's brown, but it's not that hard to plan ahead, etc.

I've often heard the argument that calorie counters are successful because they cut down carbs with everything else, but it's just as easy to argue that low carb dieters get healthier because they're cutting down on processed crap and thus eating less HFCS, Omega 6 oils, gluten, etc., and not being induced to overeat as much. Which is certainly a comforting argument because it suggests that carbs aren't inherently fattening and we don't need to be afraid of them.

Last, there is an intuitive appeal to the idea that not all carbs have to be bad. After all, there is a broad range of vegetable and animal product quality. The quoted article makes this point pretty directly. The trick is that other than tubers and white rice, the quality of a grain in more built into it's preparation than anything else. But at the very least, there's a pretty big difference between sourdough rye and wonderbread.

Anyway, I suppose this post isn't for anyone in particular, it's just the article fits in nicely with the trend of evidence I've been seeing that carbs can and should have a healthy place in the diet. I love Why We Get Fat for it's incredibly effective, and important description of the limitations and endogeneity of the Cal In/Cal Out model, but the one-dimensionality of the book's central thesis starting to show. For anyone who is interested in synthesizing carbs with paleo, I strongly recommend both Perfect Health Diet and Nourishing Traditions

I've been tinkering with this of late and I find myself moving away from low carb as well. I feel better and I'm still losing weight. This is also explains what many low carbers would call the "Asian Paradox", why rice is a staple in these cultures, but the people are generally lean. It also explains the Kitavans, who consume up to 70 percent of their calories from tubers and remain in excellent health.

I just posted this in the P90X thread but thought I would post it here as well, because I'm kind of proud of myself for getting this far. Quoted is my last post:

Dude, you're fucking KILLING it! Nice work.

Alfarif

Awesome work mate.

Meant to send you a message on your progress on MyFitnessPal. The photos are even more impressive than the 20-something lbs.

Now I'm contemplating P90x.

Amazing results, when I get down to a lower weight I think I will start doing p90x.

Dude, you're fucking KILLING it! Nice work.

Thanks guys! I keep ping ponging between just restarting P90X, doing Insanity, or start P90X2.

I've been tinkering with this of late and I find myself moving away from low carb as well. I feel better and I'm still losing weight. This is also explains what many low carbers would call the "Asian Paradox", why rice is a staple in these cultures, but the people are generally lean. It also explains the Kitavans, who consume up to 70 percent of their calories from tubers and remain in excellent health.

Same here. I've done low carb with great success, but I never felt quite as sharp or as energetic at work while on this diet although I was certainly healthier than in the days when I was eating donuts and cookies with reckless abandon,. Plus at night I would still crave carbs even after eating two steaks and a large bowl of broccoli.

Now I'm on a diet that closely resembles "The Perfect Health Diet" and I feel more energized. Not having keto breath is also a bonus. With the reintroduction of certain carbohydrates into my diet, I no longer have as intense cravings for junk like cookies or pizza. I eat white rice and starchy veggies because they're so filling that they help short circuit a lot of my junk food cravings. It hasn't impacted my weight any, but I'm also more mindful of my portion sizes. My diet includes all foods except refined sugars and wheat products.

The Perfect Health Diet:
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?page_id=8

Day 74
6829586984_b033bec012_z.jpg

Dude, is that for real?! How much time did you need each day?

I discontinued/lessened Cod Liver Oil. While it helped tremendously with my acne and mood, it lately produce big, noticeable black heads as well as feeling tired. My Omega 3 to Omega 6 was damn near 1:1. I upped it to 1:3 and my skin cleared up and my mood improved. Anyone else have something similar or at least a story about their Omega 3 to Omega 6 intakes?

Also, now that winter is over, I can actually get a bit more exercise by being outside.

Alfarif

Dude, is that for real?! How much time did you need each day?

LOL Yes, it's real, my good man. I was doing P90X about 5 times a week. I always skipped Yoga and I didn't do anything on the X Stretch day. I also had a cheat day (sometimes 2) a week (on the weekends), where I was eating pizza or Long John Silvers or something else like that. When I worked out, I did between 45-70 minutes, but I was going all out.

I like how your smile gets bigger and bigger with each picture.

I guess I have a reason to smile now. I'm no longer suffocating under my stomach.

Chris R

Day 3 in the books.

-2lbs from yesterday.

Meal 1
4 eggs
3 slice bacon
Olive oil
Broccoli

Meal 2
2 juicy jumbo hotdogs
Broccoli
Butter

Meal 3
14-16 oven roasted chicken wings
Franks red hot
Butter (made a wing sauce)

I didn't test for keto yet with a ketostix, so I'm not sure I have entered ketosis yet.

For anyone following my posts up till now, how does my meal plans look so far (I'm trying to do a keto diet)

Thanks

I hate you (well not really). I've been doing Keto for almost three weeks now and I'm not losing anything CLOSE to 2+ pounds a day. I've used a ketostick and I'm in ketosis, and limit myself to ~10g carbs a day (from veggies and almonds, no grains). I feel a whole lot better, just wish the weight was coming off as fast as it is for you and as quickly as it seems to be for you.

As for your food, it looks good to me (though I prefer my "breaded"(ground pork rinds + parmesan cheese for the breading) chicken strips to oven roasted wings, and franks red hot has been a mainstay for me though since ketchup is out).

ch0mp

I hate you (well not really). I've been doing Keto for almost three weeks now and I'm not losing anything CLOSE to 2+ pounds a day. I've used a ketostick and I'm in ketosis, and limit myself to ~10g carbs a day (from veggies and almonds, no grains). I feel a whole lot better, just wish the weight was coming off as fast as it is for you and as quickly as it seems to be for you.

As for your food, it looks good to me (though I prefer my "breaded"(ground pork rinds + parmesan cheese for the breading) chicken strips to oven roasted wings, and franks red hot has been a mainstay for me though since ketchup is out).
Pretty much impossible to lose 2 pounds in a day. It's just water weight or bowel movements or whatever.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pretty much impossible to lose 2 pounds in a day. It's just water weight or bowel movements or whatever.
Not for heavy people who've switched to <20g carbs.

I lost 11lbs my first week and was drinking water and I know people who lose 10-14lbs first week as well. It's not that uncommon.

ch0mp

Not for heavy people who've switched to <20g carbs.

I lost 11lbs my first week and was drinking water and I know people who lose 10-14lbs first week as well. It's not that uncommon.
Water weight. I can go up or down about 2-3kgs in a day depending on carb intake and activity level.

big_z

Water weight. I can go up or down about 2-3kgs in a day depending on carb intake and activity level.

this is why you should weigh yourself under the same conditions each time. say when you get up after you've taken a piss and dropped a load if thats your thing and before you eat or drink anything.

Messi

this is why you should weigh yourself under the same conditions each time. say when you get up after you've taken a piss and dropped a load if thats your thing and before you eat or drink anything.

This is what I do, still chipping away at it. should prob do more progress pics.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I weigh myself every Monday morning right before I shower. That gives me a consistent read each time.

Just to update on my progress. I am at 206 this week. Since last year at this time I am down about 27 pounds, and since starting P90X2 I am down about 15 as well as putting on muscle. Still about 10 pounds to go, but it's nice not having clothes that fit. :p

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
So I've come to a horrible realization with my weight loss: I have loose skin.

While it's certainly not a crazy amount, my stomach has a noticeable loose skin thing going on when I pinch at it or wear tighter pants around the waist or sit down for a long period of time. When I look at myself in the mirror you can see some skin at the bottom of my stomach bunching up.

From what I've read the only thing I can really do is scrub it to death in the shower with an exfoliating + moisturizing body wash and use stuff like Bio Oil daily to eventually work its way out. I'm 26 so I don't think my body will be unable to repair it, but it is frustrating that this next hurdle to looking my best is one that I can't really speed up through diet or exercise.

What's making this all the more fun is that when I look at myself in the mirror I can see the top row of my abs peeking through and the outline of my obliques through the bit of stomach fat that I do still have. I KNOW I have abs under there. I just need to work on keep cutting body fat percentage and slowly working this loose skin situation out. Probably going to set up another Bod Pod reading to see where I am body fat percentage-wise. Last time I was 19.8%...hoping to register something much closer to 15% now.

My body weight seems to have relaxed at around 173-175. For someone who is 6'1" this seems about right. Not too skinny, decent muscle definition...just a bit of belly fat that I need to work out, but by continuing my diet and exercise (3x a week full-body strengthening + 2x a week cardio) I should see it naturally go away over time.

Admittedly a bit bummed that I'm not going to have the abs that I wanted in time for my cruise in April, but I'm hoping I can be in much better shape for the summer. This summer I WILL have a body I'm proud of on the beach, god dammit!

andycapps

I've taken the opportunity last night and on Saturday to get the bike out and hit some of the bike trails around here, as a break from doing Insanity. Insanity has been great during the winter, and it's definitely improved my cardio so much. I normally do a 12 mile ride, and I do it in about 52 minutes. Last year when I tried to do this ride, I ended up throwing up halfway through. These two times, it's been relatively easy. My cardio hasn't been an issue, the only issue has been the burning in my legs. And that's pretty easy to press through after killing my muscles so much this winter. Yesterday it was in the 70's so our parks were overflowing with people. Made my cycling a little more interesting having to dodge all the slow walkers that had to walk 4 across on a multi-use path.

I'm still doing Insanity, I'll probably just mix it up by doing 1 or two days of my workout outside either running or cycling. As far as weight loss goes, I'm still eating how I was, but I've slipped a bit in tracking it on MyFitnessPal.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah, I constantly tell people to only weight them selves once a week on a specific day at a specific time.
For me this is weekend when I wake up after I use the restroom.
I started at 364 pounds on March 11 2010 and I am now 242 pounds.

Still a long away to go though.
That's fantastic.

Chris R

I guess I need to get a better scale then, because I've been weighing myself at basically the same time of the day (after I get home from work and take a piss). Using the Wii Balance board now. Or I guess I could just weigh myself in the morning before work.

Zoe

I guess I need to get a better scale then, because I've been weighing myself at basically the same time of the day (after I get home from work and take a piss). Using the Wii Balance board now. Or I guess I could just weigh myself in the morning before work.

Morning on an empty stomach is definitely more consistent unless you're eating the exact same lunch and performing the exact same activities each day at work.

Also make sure your scale isn't on the carpet.

g.r.e.

So, I've lost 38 kilos since last July, thanks to a low carb diet. I still can afford to lose 20-25 kilos, but I've hit a plateau(i'm not losing any weight since mid february). I'm thinking of starting p90x, wish me good luck! :D

p.s. I've always been a lurker for the past two years, both here and the SA low carb thread. I've got to thank every one of you for getting me on the right track. :)

Alfarif

I've taken the opportunity last night and on Saturday to get the bike out and hit some of the bike trails around here, as a break from doing Insanity. Insanity has been great during the winter, and it's definitely improved my cardio so much. I normally do a 12 mile ride, and I do it in about 52 minutes. Last year when I tried to do this ride, I ended up throwing up halfway through. These two times, it's been relatively easy. My cardio hasn't been an issue, the only issue has been the burning in my legs. And that's pretty easy to press through after killing my muscles so much this winter. Yesterday it was in the 70's so our parks were overflowing with people. Made my cycling a little more interesting having to dodge all the slow walkers that had to walk 4 across on a multi-use path.

I'm still doing Insanity, I'll probably just mix it up by doing 1 or two days of my workout outside either running or cycling. As far as weight loss goes, I'm still eating how I was, but I've slipped a bit in tracking it on MyFitnessPal.

Same here on the MyFitnessPal tracking. My diet is consistent, so I don't feel the need to track it as closely now. But I still want to track my weight and look at what other people are doing on there

OG Kush

Any weed smokers here? When I smoke I always find it hard to stay on low-carb, so i genreally resever smoking for late night, an hour or 2 before bed or something, but weather has been nice lateley and its just too tempting not go out in the sun and have a doobie.
Got any tips/tricks to stay away from the carbs?

andycapps

Same here on the MyFitnessPal tracking. My diet is consistent, so I don't feel the need to track it as closely now. But I still want to track my weight and look at what other people are doing on there

The hardest thing is to remember to do it. I mean, if I'm eating 3 full meals a day plus a couple healthy snacks, it's just hard to remember. Or I'll say that I'll do it later for everything, and then I just forget to log it all.

gazliddon

Neo Member
Read this thread a while ago and it inspired me to sort myself out a bit. I'm a tallish guy at 6"2' but was also clocking in a pretty lumpy 227 pounds.

After reading Why We Get Fat on Mr Whitta's recommendation I've been on a low carb diet for the last couple of months.

The outcomes have been pretty astounding. In the last eight weeks I've 23 pounds of fat while eating like a king. I'm a born carnivore so the green light to scoff huge quantities of dead animals has been brilliant. 204 pounds the lightest I've been for over twenty years :)

Aside from the weight loss I've also ended up vastly more energetic which in turn has helped me change from being wholly sedentary into someone who now takes (and enjoys) exercise.

I'm aiming for around 180 - 190 pounds and feel I'll probably hit this in May sometime. I want to try a tandem sky dive and that would bring me under the weight limit the local club has for jumps.

So in summary: Fucking awesome :D

And a thank you is in order. Cheers Gaff :D

LosDaddie

Banned

Congrats! Over a 100 lbs lost is awesome. :)

Any weed smokers here? When I smoke I always find it hard to stay on low-carb, so i genreally resever smoking for late night, an hour or 2 before bed or something, but weather has been nice lateley and its just too tempting not go out in the sun and have a doobie.

More willpower. Having the munchies because of MJ isn't going to go away, ever, so you must have stonger willpower. Or you could stock up on low-carb snacks.

Maybe try only smoking on your Cheat Day, so that you don't have to worry about staying low-carb?

dantehemi

Pepperoni slices and cheese strings!!! Has helped me on many Muncie nights lol.

There are tons of low carb options when you smoke a joint and have the munchies.

Big salad with, blu cheese, bacon bits and hard boiled eggs. (the flavours are extreme)
Pork rinds
Handfull of walnuts with string cheese
Oven baked chicken wings with blu cheese dip
Jalapeño poppers (jalapeños cut in half filled with cream cheese wraped with bacon) soooooo good!!!
Fry up some bacon and eggs (amazing any time of the day)

Just get creative and you can smoke and deal with the munchies and not fall off the wagon..

dantehemi

Amazing results man!!!!

I myself started at aprox 390-400lbs and after having some initial trouble loosing the weight on keto, I did a cheat day to reset my body. And since then the weight seems to be dropping. I'm currently 373lbs. So I will say down 25lbs since January 6 (not bad at all) although my goal is a long time coming I set smaller goals to keep me focused.

Goal 1- 350lbs
2- 299lbs
3- jeans that waist size is in the 30's (36-38 would be awesome)

Keep up the good work messi!!! You must feel great! I can't wait till my weight starts with a 2.

Bealost

So I've come to a horrible realization with my weight loss: I have loose skin.

While it's certainly not a crazy amount, my stomach has a noticeable loose skin thing going on when I pinch at it or wear tighter pants around the waist or sit down for a long period of time. When I look at myself in the mirror you can see some skin at the bottom of my stomach bunching up.

From what I've read the only thing I can really do is scrub it to death in the shower with an exfoliating + moisturizing body wash and use stuff like Bio Oil daily to eventually work its way out. I'm 26 so I don't think my body will be unable to repair it, but it is frustrating that this next hurdle to looking my best is one that I can't really speed up through diet or exercise.

What's making this all the more fun is that when I look at myself in the mirror I can see the top row of my abs peeking through and the outline of my obliques through the bit of stomach fat that I do still have. I KNOW I have abs under there. I just need to work on keep cutting body fat percentage and slowly working this loose skin situation out. Probably going to set up another Bod Pod reading to see where I am body fat percentage-wise. Last time I was 19.8%...hoping to register something much closer to 15% now.

My body weight seems to have relaxed at around 173-175. For someone who is 6'1" this seems about right. Not too skinny, decent muscle definition...just a bit of belly fat that I need to work out, but by continuing my diet and exercise (3x a week full-body strengthening + 2x a week cardio) I should see it naturally go away over time.

Admittedly a bit bummed that I'm not going to have the abs that I wanted in time for my cruise in April, but I'm hoping I can be in much better shape for the summer. This summer I WILL have a body I'm proud of on the beach, god dammit!

I was actually thinking the same thing about 5 lbs ago. I'm getting pretty lean (low teens maybe?) but was starting to see a bit of a pouch deal going on. It has been less and less noticeable as I get each little bit leaner though. (I look like a baddass now in the right lighting and my short pulled up over my last little bit of flab though. Feels goodman. Next step, working on my tan!

dantehemi

^^ as far as loose skin goes, I'm horrified what I will look like when I hit my final goal weight. I will be dropping alot of weight and I can only imagine alot of loose skin will accompany it.

From what I heard there is not much you can do about loose skin naturally (don't quote me on that, I may be wrong)
But if I can achieve my goal (220lbs) and keep that weight off for a long period of time (1year or more) I would consider doing a tummy tuck and breast reduction, I know it sounds shallow....but fuck it if I worked that hard I want to look the best I possibly can!!!

Bealost

Someone made a motivational thread so I figured I can kill two birds with one stone and make a great post for both threads. In this picture you can see how at 195 you can start to see a bit of a pouch thing going on, it's less noticeable now even though I'm only 5 lbs lighter, but its easy to hide with shorts. Also, lighting makes a HUGE difference.

Hne1Q.jpg

Alfarif

The hardest thing is to remember to do it. I mean, if I'm eating 3 full meals a day plus a couple healthy snacks, it's just hard to remember. Or I'll say that I'll do it later for everything, and then I just forget to log it all.

Yeah since I'm usually at work when im doing the majority of my eating, I would write it down on sticky notes and scan the barcodes when I got home. But sometimes, after working out and doing everything else I did when I got home the last thing I wanted to do was stand in the kitchen and scan barcodes. So one day would become two and two days would become a week. And a week ended up becoming however long it's been since I actually put my food in there. LOL

LosDaddie

Banned
Someone made a motivational thread so I figured I can kill two birds with one stone and make a great post for both threads. In this picture you can see how at 195 you can start to see a bit of a pouch thing going on, it's less noticeable now even though I'm only 5 lbs lighter, but its easy to hide with shorts. Also, lighting makes a HUGE difference.

Great work!

Man

That is inspiring Bealost. I think I'm nearing something like your last image and I'm really looking forward to having abs become visible. I'm very near having a larger visible blood vein going from my hand to my shoulder, only the bicept segment disappears during non-workout. Just a few more KG..

Chittagong

Gold Member
A lot of supporters for Why We Get Fat. Interestingly it's almost exactly Atkins, first phase.

And yes, Atkins works for dropping weight fast. I did it, lost 15kg crazy fast. But I did not found it to be a sustainable lifestyle. Depriving myself of milk, fruits and berries was not something I could do for the rest of my life. And therein lies the problem of Atkins / WWGF. I got really fed up with all the bacon, salami, beef, oil... It started to feel nauseating, so gradually I slid back to my pre-Atkins menu and ballooned doubly back what I lost.

Since I have taken on a lifestyle based on Montignac, observing the glycemic index (GI) rather than shooting for 20g carbs. It addresses the exact same problem of insulin resistance, but with a much more sustainable approach with a diet I can enjoy and embrace. I avoid bread and all fast carbs, and eat mainly fish/seafood, veggies, fruits, nuts and dairy products, with some wholegrain items to lighten up the mix. I use a 1700-2000cal target with MyFitnessPal to learn regular portion sizes. I also do sports 4-5 times a week, unlike WWGF would advice.

After two months I'm feeling amazing. Full of energy and joy, no hunger or cravings, super stable blood sugar and a natural decrease in appetite. I'm only 12 pounds down, and know I could have doubled that with Atkins/WWGF. But then I would be waiting in agony for my goal weight to end the pain. Now, on the other hand, I don't think about an end. My weight is dropping, and I feel good, ,so what's the hurry. This is why I can truly see this becoming my basic lifestyle - I enjoy myself.

Top Bottom