• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

dralla

People are supporters of the theories and concepts in WWGF, not a specific diet. It's important to understand why people gain and lose weight and what's healthy and unhealthy, that's what the book is about, it's not a "weight loss" book, it's an educational tool.

Chittagong

Gold Member
People are supporters of the theories and concepts in WWGF, not a specific diet. It's important to understand why people gain and lose weight and what's healthy and unhealthy, that's what the book is about, it's not a "weight loss" book, it's an educational tool.

I agree, having a basic understanding of the insulin cycle and its effects on metabolism should be mandatory learning for every human being. Understanding what triggers a high insulin response and what does less so is very easy after being introduced to the theory. I don't agree on his sweetener endorsement though, I believe it has been shown that artificial zero carb sweeteners can trigger an insulin response as bad or worse as sugar, making rats obese.

Bealost

I agree, having a basic understanding of the insulin cycle and its effects on metabolism should be mandatory learning for every human being. Understanding what triggers a high insulin response and what does less so is very easy after being introduced to the theory. I don't agree on his sweetener endorsement though, I believe it has been shown that artificial zero carb sweeteners can trigger an insulin response as bad or worse as sugar, making rats obese.

Source? I've heard the opposite.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/artificial-sweeteners-insulin/

dantehemi

Pretty much impossible to lose 2 pounds in a day. It's just water weight or bowel movements or whatever.

12 days after my "keto reset" I am at 373lbs down from 385lbs (after I intentionally took myself out of ketosis)
I feel the weight coming off much faster.

Things that I changed after the "reset"
- went for walks
- started doing body weight excercises at home
- cut diet soda pretty much completely (had like 2 in 12 days)
- cut down cheese consumption
- drastically limited salad dressing consumption (keeping it to strict 1tbsp, instead of just pouring it on)
- use olive oil for everything

Now I don't know exactly what sparked the huge change for me (probably a mix of everything) but I finally feel like this "diet" is starting to do what I want it to.
When I first started I went 2 months with very limited results (incase anyone was interested)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Someone made a motivational thread so I figured I can kill two birds with one stone and make a great post for both threads. In this picture you can see how at 195 you can start to see a bit of a pouch thing going on, it's less noticeable now even though I'm only 5 lbs lighter, but its easy to hide with shorts. Also, lighting makes a HUGE difference.

Awesome man. So, what did you do? I need to go from 270 to 195.

Bealost

Awesome man. So, what did you do? I need to go from 270 to 195.

No secrets man, I counted calories for about two months until I had an idea how much I was eating. Slowly changed my diet to be healthier, swapping one thing out after another for something a little healthier. (My cheat meals now consist of buffalo tenders, steamed broccoli, and sweet potato fries for an idea how far my diet has come).

Lifted heavy weights for 2 3-4 month stretches with a month break in between when I was training for a 5k (so lots of running).

It sounds stupid, but it really is just a matter of Eating less (garbage) and moving more.

CoTyT.jpg

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

Chittagong

Gold Member
So anyone here who has first lost weight and then become 'big' (as in muscular)? That would be my eventual goal.

Bealost, incredible stuff in the timeframe of a year. From a big belly to six pack, crazy. I'm starting at a bit better spot, but not much, so this really motivates me. What is your routine?

bengraven

GAF, to be honest I really really really need to lose weight. Like never in my life has this been more important. My every day life is actually suffering now because of my weight.

What does GAF recommend for RIGHT NOW. RIGHT NOW I decided to lose weight. I already went for a long walk today (legs exhausted) and am drinking a lot of water. I'm dead broke, I can't do a gym, and expensive meals are out of the question.

Would it be so bad to cut down on meals per day? two per day with lots of water? I don't want to starve myself, yet I'm scared that because of my low willpower if I do the "six small meals" thing I'll end up eating too much. I already have enough of a problem doing the grazing all day thing, which is one reason why I'm in this mess.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GAF, to be honest I really really really need to lose weight. Like never in my life has this been more important. My every day life is actually suffering now because of my weight.

What does GAF recommend for RIGHT NOW. RIGHT NOW I decided to lose weight. I already went for a long walk today (legs exhausted) and am drinking a lot of water. I'm dead broke, I can't do a gym, and expensive meals are out of the question.

Would it be so bad to cut down on meals per day? two per day with lots of water? I don't want to starve myself, yet I'm scared that because of my low willpower if I do the "six small meals" thing I'll end up eating too much. I already have enough of a problem doing the grazing all day thing, which is one reason why I'm in this mess.

The quickest and most barebones advice I can give in this situation is cut meals to 2-3 a day (don't believe that 6 small meals a day bullshit), cut junk food, make your only liquid water, and get enough protein (.7 to 1g/lb bw).

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
... and get enough protein (.7 to 1g/lb bw).

Not of body weight, of lean body weight! You don't want to be prescribing to 400lb man to be eating anywhere from 290 to 400g of protein a day! :p

Chittagong

Gold Member
Start with walks, then over time start to jog and eventually run. That burns a lot and you don't even need to go fast.

After a while learn to do bodyweight exercises - squats, lunges, burpees, but take it slow and learn them right.

Eat very basic food. Minced meat, veggies, eggs, yogurt etc.

dralla

If you haven an hour of free time I'd suggest watching this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vr-c8GeT34 - It's important to understand why things are healthy/unhealthy, it makes food decisions easier.

The amount of meals you eat makes no difference, you just need to find something that works for you. Keep in mind healthy foods are naturally more satiating and make it easier to fight off cravings.

Bealost

So anyone here who has first lost weight and then become 'big' (as in muscular)? That would be my eventual goal.

Bealost, incredible stuff in the timeframe of a year. From a big belly to six pack, crazy. I'm starting at a bit better spot, but not much, so this really motivates me. What is your routine?

It's not quite a six pack, and the lighting is very flattering in that picture. I did SS (starting strength, see the fitness thread) for a long time (10 months of that year) with a month off from it when I was training for a 5k and running a lot. I've recently started trying to master the bodyweight exercises (working my way up to one arm push ups/pull ups, handstand pushups, and pistols (one leg squats). So I just did lots of big compound movements while maintaining a small caloric deficit and choosing healthier foods.

Makes sense, really. To imply you have large amounts of loose skin is to say that your skin (the largest living organ in your body) is a 'dead' organ. Skin always adapts to your form so for those who have loose skin thicker than your eyelid, keep losing fat.

I've heard to use the thickness of a coin, if you pinch yourself and it's thicker than a quarter you can lose some more fat. It's really hard to lose stubborn belly fat though because when you are in the spot I was in you get really lean everywhere else and still have a considerable amount of fat on your gut. I've come to accept the fact that I'll never be an underwear model, but I'm intending on looking damn good in some shorts.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I've heard to use the thickness of a coin, if you pinch yourself and it's thicker than a quarter you can lose some more fat. It's really hard to lose stubborn belly fat though because when you are in the spot I was in you get really lean everywhere else and still have a considerable amount of fat on your gut. I've come to accept the fact that I'll never be an underwear model, but I'm intending on looking damn good in some shorts.

One to two weeks of eating at maintenace (or slightly above) will reboot the hormones in your body and accelerate fat loss again. Couple that with intermittent fasting and you'll lose the stubborn body fat.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

Einbroch

Banned
For my low carbers that love Cool Ranch Doritos,

One large bag cheap, unflavored pork rinds.
1 1/2 tsp Ranch Powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika or chili powder

Combine in bag and shake up. Total carbs for whole bag: 3. I add more garlic powder because I like garlic, but I know some people don't. You really gotta shake it up a lot.

I like the cheap pork rinds at Walmart. $1 here, and it's a lot. Tastes just like Doritos

OG Kush

For my low carbers that love Cool Ranch Doritos,

One large bag cheap, unflavored pork rinds.
1 1/2 tsp Ranch Powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika or chili powder

Combine in bag and shake up. Total carbs for whole bag: 3. I add more garlic powder because I like garlic, but I know some people don't. You really gotta shake it up a lot.

I like the cheap pork rinds at Walmart. $1 here, and it's a lot. Tastes just like Doritos
What exactly are pork rinds? They look like potatoe chiips to me. Also anyone know a substitute to this for the pork, as I don't eat pig?
thanks

Log4Girlz

I've just got back on my diet...I'm an emotional eater so its hard to stick to it. I will say that when I started low-carb I lost 15 pounds in about two weeks. So cut the carbs and sugar.

Loose/excess skin is just extra body fat you have laying around (stubborn or otherwise): http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-get-rid-of-excess-skin-after-major-weight-loss/#axzz1paFakgSi

Makes sense, really. To imply you have large amounts of loose skin is to say that your skin (the largest living organ in your body) is a 'dead' organ. Skin always adapts to your form so for those who have loose skin thicker than your eyelid, keep losing fat.

skin also stretches;
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/shocking-weight-loss/#axzz1peeKR8pQ

Bealost

One to two weeks of eating at maintenace (or slightly above) will reboot the hormones in your body and accelerate fat loss again. Couple that with intermittent fasting and you'll lose the stubborn body fat.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

Yeah I've read all of his stuff before. I'm not having trouble losing weight anymore, I'm just not sure it's worth it to me to get super lean just to lose the last little bit of my belly. People just about all scoff at the idea of me losing more weight at this point, although it's not like they see my shirtless this time of year. Like I said I'll keep going and cut maybe another 10 lbs. I've slowed down (sort of intentionally) to about 4lb/month but I'm more than happy with that.

bengraven

If you haven an hour of free time I'd suggest watching this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vr-c8GeT34 - It's important to understand why things are healthy/unhealthy, it makes food decisions easier.

The amount of meals you eat makes no difference, you just need to find something that works for you. Keep in mind healthy foods are naturally more satiating and make it easier to fight off cravings.

Start with walks, then over time start to jog and eventually run. That burns a lot and you don't even need to go fast.

After a while learn to do bodyweight exercises - squats, lunges, burpees, but take it slow and learn them right.

Eat very basic food. Minced meat, veggies, eggs, yogurt etc.

Not of body weight, of lean body weight! You don't want to be prescribing to 400lb man to be eating anywhere from 290 to 400g of protein a day! :p

The quickest and most barebones advice I can give in this situation is cut meals to 2-3 a day (don't believe that 6 small meals a day bullshit), cut junk food, make your only liquid water, and get enough protein (.7 to 1g/lb bw).

I've just got back on my diet...I'm an emotional eater so its hard to stick to it. I will say that when I started low-carb I lost 15 pounds in about two weeks. So cut the carbs and sugar.

Thanks for the replies you guys. I was a bit worried to check back here because of my little emotional outburst: I didn't want to be taken as an attention whore. I've just gone from being sick of the weight to nervous about the weight to pure terror. I'm not going to be around to see my kid grow up is the feeling I'm having. I know there are probably millions of people heavier than me (I see them all the time) who are older than me, but I think I've lived long enough with false assurances.

I'll try and reply without making excuses. I say this because I've already deleted a few paragraphs of pure excuses - which I still feel in my heart.

Rubx: I'm 350, but that's close enough....is that TOO much protein to eat per day?

Log: I want to go low carb badly, but I'm worried about the expense. I get people talking me out of low carb all the time, even though I know it will work, because of the expense. I'm unemployed and we don't have much money to spare, so yeah, carbs are usually the "filler" meals - Hamburger Helper, mac and cheese, spagetti. I need to research low carb more to find out more ways to make it easier when you have a family you eat with who are eating quite a bit of carbs

Domino: that's exactly what I want to do, I just need to get over it and do it. I'm making excuses, but then again I'm also a manic depressant and so my brain is in this Eeyore mood the last couple months. I'm getting fatter because I'm sitting on my ass depressed. I need to get up and move. I miss not being out of breath after getting out of a chair...I miss running. I miss normal clothes.

Chitta: all great advice. I'm trying to get out and walk during the day but it's hard because I have a four year old that i'm the sole caretaker of. We have no family or friends we can count on to watch him and when my wife gets home from work it's dark and we live on rural backroads that are pitch dark and dangerous (places to fall, break a leg, poisonous snakes, swamps) - so it makes scheduling walks a bit more difficult. Plus, the kid doesn't want to just walk - he's too small to keep pace with even fat me and then he's even slower when he wants to ride his bike or trike. He wants to stop, turn around, stare up at the sun, point at dogs - I'm trying to just move and keep a pace going...then again he does help me take a breather. Again, excuses, but I'm just saying it's hard. I used to love to walk and jog and i was able to maintain my weight - but being here in this neighborhood and with the kid getting bigger it's become difficult.

Bealost

Rubx: I'm 350, but that's close enough....is that TOO much protein to eat per day?

Chitta: all great advice. I'm trying to get out and walk during the day but it's hard because I have a four year old that i'm the sole caretaker of. We have no family or friends we can count on to watch him and when my wife gets home from work it's dark and we live on rural backroads that are pitch dark and dangerous (places to fall, break a leg, poisonous snakes, swamps) - so it makes scheduling walks a bit more difficult. Plus, the kid doesn't want to just walk - he's too small to keep pace with even fat me and then he's even slower when he wants to ride his bike or trike. He wants to stop, turn around, stare up at the sun, point at dogs - I'm trying to just move and keep a pace going...then again he does help me take a breather. Again, excuses, but I'm just saying it's hard. I used to love to walk and jog and i was able to maintain my weight - but being here in this neighborhood and with the kid getting bigger it's become difficult.

Just get out and do it, don't worry about the pace or distance. You don't need to be breathing heavily and sweating for it to be worth it. Just take the kid for a walk and enjoy it. It's great for both of you. Last Sunday I took my little cousins hiking it took us over 3 hours to do what I normally do in about 1.5. That doesn't mean it wasn't good exercise.

I'd find it hard to believe that you are eating too much protein in a day. Unless you are going crazy with protein powder or eating massive amounts of tuna and chicken. Just eat a variety of foods and you're probably fine.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm with Bealost, it's not about doing everything perfectly, it's just about being consistent about doing things that benefit you and sticking to it. People fail in weight loss not because their program is inefficient, but because they gradually slide out of it. The key is being doggedly determined to just stick with it despite all frustrations, hardships and setbacks.

For example, if your kid wanders and walks around, you can squat down and stand up 10 times. I tell you, even at my 220 pounds that was heavy as shit initially just lifting my bodyweight (I'm tall so it makes it even harder) and doing a bunch of those will be a real workout. The first time you try some lunges will make you think you'll die, but eventually your muscle build and starts burning those calories off. Also, you will be surprised how slow you can take it, if you have access to a HRM you'll see raising your HR to the fat burning 140 doesn't require tasting blood in your mouth.

The key philosophy to adapt is not one of a diet, but that every meal and every walk is a new chance to chip that mountain of weight away. It doesn't matter if you fucked up yesterday, still today the choice is the same - to do something that chips away weight or not. That gets you over the "I slipped, I am off the program now, I can just as well give up" failure track. Every meal and walk is a chance to right it again.

I did a 20 hour fast, ate before 8pm yesterday, didn't drink anything beyond Coke Zero and Water till 6pm today (work delayed me).

Ate right now...and its not like I can eat more than my normal amount. Going to see if I can do this again Friday, Thursday 8pm to Friday 4pm.

Log4Girlz

Log: I want to go low carb badly, but I'm worried about the expense. I get people talking me out of low carb all the time, even though I know it will work, because of the expense. I'm unemployed and we don't have much money to spare, so yeah, carbs are usually the "filler" meals - Hamburger Helper, mac and cheese, spagetti. I need to research low carb more to find out more ways to make it easier when you have a family you eat with who are eating quite a bit of carbs

Some places sell huge bags of veggies pretty cheap. Past that, I cannot help you further, I spend a lot of money on my diet cuz...shit I like steak there I admit it lol.

Also, in terms of excercise, this may sound stupid, but I've read a few articles over the years that some people buy a hula hoop and fucking do that shit whenever they can, maybe you can look into that :)

Bealost

My first attempt at chili, low carbers can look elsewhere. Whole pot is only like 2000 cal w/ 160ish g protein. Hopefully it tastes as good as it looks.

i4Ecq.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
Some places sell huge bags of veggies pretty cheap. Past that, I cannot help you further, I spend a lot of money on my diet cuz...shit I like steak there I admit it lol.

Also, in terms of excercise, this may sound stupid, but I've read a few articles over the years that some people buy a hula hoop and fucking do that shit whenever they can, maybe you can look into that :)
That does sound pretty damn stupid. Doing some jumping jacks or something sounds a lot less ridiculous and will probably get the heart rate going a bit more.

But like people are saying Ben, the trick is to control what you eat. Not sure exactly where you live, but here at Walmart, they have 5lb packs of chicken breasts for $10, which is a really good deal. Not super cheap, but you'll be hard pressed to find chicken breasts for less than $2/lb anywhere else. This is my go-to cheap protein source since I dont have a lot of money, either. You can usually find good deals on tuna or tilapia, as well.

And dont be scared into thinking you've gotta do low-carb. Its helpful in maximising fat-loss and controlling hunger(carbs do not satisfy hunger very well), but you'll still lose weight so long as you're eating less than your CML(calorie maintenance level). Just make sure you're eating a fair amount of veggies and protein with the carbs you eat. You wont burn fat as fast, but you'll still be burning a decent amount and the simple fact of having less weight pulling you down will feel good.

Gruco

Banned
So, I just saw Hungry for Change, which is viewable in its entirety online until 3/31, when I saw a few folks discussing in on Marks Daily Apple.

Basically, it looks to be another juicer infomercial along the lines of Fat, Sick, and Nearly dead. However, the marketing aspect aside, it's honestly...not that bad? Directs most of its energy talking about what a complete disaster sugar is. Calls out industrial seed oils as unfit for human consumption. Best part is it goes head first into talking about flavor additives and addiction. Not anti-fat. Etc.

It talks about chemical and heavy mineral toxicity for a while, and while I think these are real things of course, I think its recommendations here (aloe, chia, and spirulina) are probably more rooted in bs than reality. Also goes overboard on some new age love yourself kick at the end, which, while probably helpful for some viewers, was a little too over the top. Also, it's a juicer infomercial.

So while I guess it's pretty solid and it's a good thing that mostly sound ideas are going out to people who may not otherwise see them, my bigger question is...what the hell is going on with movies like this? Is the juicer industry in the middle of some kind of hyper-aggressive documentary based guerrilla advertising campaign? Is there an enormously popular juicer subculture that I'm just not aware of?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So, I just saw Hungry for Change, which is viewable in its entirety online until 3/31, when I saw a few folks discussing in on Marks Daily Apple.

Basically, it looks to be another juicer infomercial along the lines of Fat, Sick, and Nearly dead. However, the marketing aspect aside, it's honestly...not that bad? Directs most of its energy talking about what a complete disaster sugar is. Calls out industrial seed oils as unfit for human consumption. Best part is it goes head first into talking about flavor additives and addiction. Not anti-fat. Etc.

It talks about chemical and heavy mineral toxicity for a while, and while I think these are real things of course, I think its recommendations here (aloe, chia, and spirulina) are probably more rooted in bs than reality. Also goes overboard on some new age love yourself kick at the end, which, while probably helpful for some viewers, was a little too over the top. Also, it's a juicer infomercial.

So while I guess it's pretty solid and it's a good thing that mostly sound ideas are going out to people who may not otherwise see them, my bigger question is...what the hell is going on with movies like this? Is the juicer industry in the middle of some kind of hyper-aggressive documentary based guerrilla advertising campaign? Is there an enormously popular juicer subculture that I'm just not aware of?
Juicing used to be a HUGE thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if they want that back again with all the healthy lifestyle stuff going on now.

ch0mp

Why? You don't really end up eating the oil, it's merely used as a lubricant to prevent it from sticking to the pan, right?
Really depends what you're cooking. I mean if its a steak, sure don't count it all. But if it's some kind of one pot dish I would include it.

Listened to the latest Bulletproof Exec podcast, which had an interesting interview with John Kiefer of dangerouslyhardcore.com. Pretty interesting, and I wonder if his "Carb backloading" deal would work. Basically, when you do weight training days, you eat super low carb in the morning, and then do your workout. After that, you go nuts with the worst kind of carbs. Eat ice cream. He recommends cherry turnovers. It's all good. Stop eating around 9pm.

He sounds like a nerd, and he's a physicist. So I wasn't expecting him to look like he did, when I finally went to the site.

Any opinions?

LegoArmo

I decided that I was going to use nuts to snack on between meals, and I bought some macadamia nuts, and some cashews.

Portion control isn't a problem with the macadamia nuts as I don't like them very much, but I just tried a handful of cashews and damn, they're good.

entremet

I decided that I was going to use nuts to snack on between meals, and I bought some macadamia nuts, and some cashews.

Portion control isn't a problem with the macadamia nuts as I don't like them very much, but I just tried a handful of cashews and damn, they're good.

Don't go nuts! (Pun intended)

It's easy to go overboard on calories with nuts. It's very easy to. Just a caution. Monitor closely. I was stalling a bit and stopped snacking on nuts everyday with great results. Everyone is different, though.

Bealost

Listened to the latest Bulletproof Exec podcast, which had an interesting interview with John Kiefer of dangerouslyhardcore.com. Pretty interesting, and I wonder if his "Carb backloading" deal would work. Basically, when you do weight training days, you eat super low carb in the morning, and then do your workout. After that, you go nuts with the worst kind of carbs. Eat ice cream. He recommends cherry turnovers. It's all good. Stop eating around 9pm.

He sounds like a nerd, and he's a physicist. So I wasn't expecting him to look like he did, when I finally went to the site.

Any opinions?

These "fad" diets are starting to wear me out. This is easy people.

Step 1) Eat Healthfully (this means not ice cream after every workout...)
Step 2) Workout (Get off you ass and move in any way that you enjoy)
Step 3) ????
Step 4) Profit (Or get in shape)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Still having issues for what to eat for breakfast at work. For the past month or so I've been taking muscle milk for my breakfast. About 180 calories and 20g of protein. I am wondering if that is enough though.

Dinners are finally on task, usually chicken or beef with roasted veggies, or eggs and veggies. Lunch has been Progresso canned soup every day. Lot of sodium, but I am not sure what else (easy) to take that is lower in carbs.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Dinners are finally on task, usually chicken or beef with roasted veggies, or eggs and veggies. Lunch has been Progresso canned soup every day. Lot of sodium, but I am not sure what else (easy) to take that is lower in carbs.

If you stick with soups, certain brands (I leaned towards Healthy Choice for a while) are better on the sodium and carb front than others. That'd be a good starting point to look at. And less noodle-y soups will be lower carb.

I actually found that Wegmans has light wheat bread, which works out to 14g net for two slices. Kinda on the expensive side though. But I can now do a really thick turkey or pastrami sandwich and get a decently filling lunch that's a little more protein than carbs. Then I widen the gap with dinner, which you're doing already. Works out okay.

Top Bottom