• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

bro1

Banned
Here is my progress so far. I don't have an absolute up to date photo, but I'm about 5lbs heavier than the last photo, mostly muscle:
Front1.jpg

Front5.jpg

BackArms1.jpg

BackArms5.jpg

harSon

Banned
TZyoY.jpg

Here's my quarterly progress report. I've now dropped down to 194.5 pounds from 351 pounds for a total of 156.5 pounds lost. From a 3XL shirt to a medium. And from a 48inch waist to a 34 inch waist. I'm pretty close to my goal weight of 180-190 pounds, so I won't be losing that much weight from here on out. Now it's time to put on some muscle!

speedline

Banned
TZyoY.jpg

Here's my quarterly progress report. I've now dropped down to 194.5 pounds from 351 pounds for a total of 156.5 pounds lost. From a 3XL shirt to a medium. And from a 48inch waist to a 34 inch waist. I'm pretty close to my goal weight of 180-190 pounds, so I won't be losing that much weight from here on out. Now it's time to put on some muscle!

Awesome man, so what was your method?

Piecake

I got a question on Wine's impact on heart health and whether its actually a positive

Basically, I really dont understand how wine supposedly reduces heart attack risk if you only drink a glass a day since that will raise your good cholesterol and lower your triglycerides, but if you drink a lot it will raise your triglycerides and increase the bad cholesterol. That makes very little sense to me.

That also makes very little sense to me considering that I am now quite convinced that saturated fat doesnt have a negative impact on heart health and actually betters your HDL/Tri levels (though does apparently increase your bad cholesterol, just increases good cholesterol more - which apparently is ok). The thing that worsens those levels is consuming carbs (mostly sugar and ethanol). How does it make sense then that a wine (ethanol), lowers triglycerides in small amounts, but increases it in large amounts when it seems pretty apparent to me that sucrose/fructose and ethanol are basically the ONLY things that raise your Tri levels

Perhaps Ive got something mistaken in there, so any clarification would be nice

Hackbert

@nerdy1

nice work !
I´m hoping and aiming to get to an upper body like yours. I don´t need much more muscle bot the proportions look great

edit : Great progress harSon. congrats

grumble

I got a question on Wine's impact on heart health and whether its actually a positive

Basically, I really dont understand how wine supposedly reduces heart attack risk if you only drink a glass a day since that will raise your good cholesterol and lower your triglycerides, but if you drink a lot it will raise your triglycerides and increase the bad cholesterol. That makes very little sense to me.

That also makes very little sense to me considering that I am now quite convinced that saturated fat doesnt have a negative impact on heart health and actually betters your HDL/Tri levels (though does apparently increase your bad cholesterol, just increases good cholesterol more - which apparently is ok). The thing that worsens those levels is consuming carbs (mostly sugar and ethanol). How does it make sense then that a wine (ethanol), lowers triglycerides in small amounts, but increases it in large amounts when it seems pretty apparent to me that sucrose/fructose and ethanol are basically the ONLY things that raise your Tri levels

Perhaps Ive got something mistaken in there, so any clarification would be nice

Funnily enough, it's not really wine that does it. It's alcohol. One to two drinks per day reduces your risk of heart disease somewhere between 30-50%, and that can be wine, beer or liquor. The resveratrol stuff is mostly marketing.

This is a correlation, so there needs to be more research. Do moderate drinkers lead different lives otherwise? Are they thinner and more fit?

Piecake

Funnily enough, it's not really wine that does it. It's alcohol. One to two drinks per day reduces your risk of heart disease somewhere between 30-50%, and that can be wine, beer or liquor. The resveratrol stuff is mostly marketing.

This is a correlation, so there needs to be more research. Do moderate drinkers lead different lives otherwise? Are they thinner and more fit?

But I really dont understand why that is the case considering that Ethanol and sugar are the carbs that jack up your triglyceride levels. That makes absolutely no sense to me (i have no knowledge of biochemistry, so that might be why it makes no sense to me) Though I guess if its just a correlation, it could be way off.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
But I really dont understand why that is the case considering that Ethanol and sugar are the carbs that jack up your triglyceride levels. That makes absolutely no sense to me (i have no knowledge of biochemistry, so that might be why it makes no sense to me) Though I guess if its just a correlation, it could be way off.

Like grumble said, it needs more study. Even if it is causation, you also need to consider total mortality.

Resveratrol does reduce the rate of heart disease, but not in the amounts in wine. GSK is in phase 2 (?) trials for Resveratrol based drugs. The obese rats on the drug live just about as long as controls rats (thin, no drug). But the amount of resveratrol to stimulate sirtuins would have enough alcohol to kill you 10 times.

harSon

Banned
Awesome man, so what was your method?

I lost a significant portion of it by counting calories, then I transitioned into a low-carb ketosis diet and I've recently turned that into a low-carb Paleo diet. While I was progressively more active as I lost weight, I didn't actually start exercising until September 2011. So the majority of the weight up until that point was lost through pure diet. Now I've been lifting, doing Insanity, jogging, playing basketball regularly, etc on a consistent basis on top of my dieting.

How tall are you harSon? Amazing progress.

I'm 6'2"

How much should I weight? I'm 172cm, and so far I've been mostly 71-72kg. The lowest has been 62-64kg a few years ago, then 78kg on instant noodles in Japan. I think I will start exercising and building muscles, 28 years of age is probably time where your metabolism gives up and you start accumulating fat no matter what, correct?

Piecake

How much should I weight? I'm 172cm, and so far I've been mostly 71-72kg. The lowest has been 62-64kg a few years ago, then 78kg on instant noodles in Japan. I think I will start exercising and building muscles, 28 years of age is probably time where your metabolism gives up and you start accumulating fat no matter what, correct?

Nope, old people are fat because of a poor diet, not because their metabolism went to hell

teh_pwn

Really? But how is the diet different from when they were 15-25 years old? More beer?

Sure, in your teens growth hormone and other stuff makes it harder to overeat. There's probably other factors like damage from bad food accumulating, whether it's insulin insensitivty or food addiction or unknowns. But you can lookup photos of middle aged to old people in other countries, in tribal villages or in United States history. They're typically pretty thin.

Piecake

Really? But how is the diet different from when they were 15-25 years old? More beer?

Someone more knowledgeable than me can probably explain it better (or more correctly), but you are not doomed to being more and more of a lard ass as you get older. I believe you are right though, that your metabolism is better when you are younger and it gets worse over time (but can be improved with exercise). The issue is though that diet has a FAR FAR FAR greater impact on weight gain/weight loss than exercise or your metabolism.

As for why do people get fatter as they get older, i would guess its probably a constant build up of shit food over the years turning into fat that slowly gets worse as their metabolism weakens due to a lack of exercise. Simple way to fix that is just eat a whole lot better

any tips on where to begin? im 200 lbs , 5'7 age 36. I take pills for cholesterol. I really want to begin my diet, but dont know where to start for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Do not buy pre-packed things, for breakfast you can make eggs, maybe a sandwich. Even damn cereal will do. Just make sure for lunch you get something healthy, like a salad. When you go back home as well - make yourself some pasta.

As long as you don't buy pre-packed, frozen food, don't add lot of oil (hi Jamie Oliver!) you will see a world of difference.

vaelic

Banned
Do not buy pre-packed things, for breakfast you can make eggs, maybe a sandwich. Even damn cereal will do. Just make sure for lunch you get something healthy, like a salad. When you go back home as well - make yourself some pasta.

As long as you don't buy pre-packed, frozen food, don't add lot of oil (hi Jamie Oliver!) you will see a world of difference.

I imagine a salad with no dressing? just plain?

I imagine a salad with no dressing? just plain?

Some vinegar is fine. If you want dressing simply check calories, they are sometimes very very different. Definitely don't do the stuff on the cooking shows, the amount of oil they spill on the salad is 300-400cal of pure fat. As I mentioned, Jamie Oliver is the main offender here.

The "check calories" rule applies to all foods, even the ones advertised as "low calories" e.g. regular yogurt will be 100cal, "low-calories" one will be 95cal, lol.

Piecake

Some vinegar is fine. If you want dressing simply check calories, they are sometimes very very different. Definitely don't do the stuff on the cooking shows, the amount of oil they spill on the salad is 300-400cal of pure fat. As I mentioned, Jamie Oliver is the main offender here.

The "check calories" rule applies to all foods, even the ones advertised as "low calories" e.g. regular yogurt will be 100cal, "low-calories" one will be 95cal, lol.

I think most people in this thread have converted to the no/low carb diet so their opinion is probably radically different than yours. Basically, fat and saturated fat is perfectly fine and then thing you need to avoid is carbs, and avoid sucrose, fructose and HFCS at all cost. So what might doom that dressing is not the fat, but if it contains sucrose or fructose

Seriously? No pre packed food, no oil but do go ahead and eat pasta for dinner? That's not gonna lose your fat. Pasta every night = fatter you.

And oils are good for you, as long as it's not trans fats and gets you right balance of Omega 3 and 6. Just don't over do it and you are fine. And pre-packed food is fine too if you bother to read the back and see what's actually in it. The info is right there for you to use accordingly. Nothing magical about home made food vs factory food. Shitty ingredient is still shitty ingredient even if you cook it yourself. Pasta is just pure carbs and will NOT help you to get leaner.

Akim

Banned

the fuck?

april fools?

Tmac

Lately i have been putting a lot of focus on an exercise routine and i'm wondering if it's too much.

I've been doing at least 6 x 90 minutes a week of walking. For a while it's working but sometimes i wonder if it is the right thing to do.

ch0mp

Lately i have been putting a lot of focus on an exercise routine and i'm wondering if it's too much.

I've been doing at least 6 x 90 minutes a week of walking. For a while it's working but sometimes i wonder if it is the right thing to do.
I think with low intensity stuff like walking you can do as much as you like. If you were running I would say it's too much though.

GatorBait

What do you guys think of a diet of ~1600 calories per day? I'm 5'9", 190 lbs. I'd like to lose ~2 lbs per week. I'll be doing 45-minutes of steady state cardio 4-5 times per week in addition to that diet.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wow, somehow, despite last week being a rest week for P90X2 and the only exercising I did being a 2 mile run on Tuesday I still lost 3 pounds.

Down to 203, that's 30 pounds lost since last year at this time, and 20 since starting P90X2. Now to break the 200 mark. :D

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
What do you guys think of a diet of ~1600 calories per day? I'm 5'9", 190 lbs. I'd like to lose ~2 lbs per week. I'll be doing 45-minutes of steady state cardio 4-5 times per week in addition to that diet.

That seems like a lot of cardio. When you say "steady state" do you mean low impact, light heart rate type stuff as in walking or an elliptical or something?

Also, what's your diet going to consist of to get those 1600 calories?

progress.jpg
That's awesome, man.

Just one question... do you live out of your car? lol

harSon

Banned
That's awesome, man.

Just one question... do you live out of your car? lol

No haha! It's just tradition for me to take a comparative picture at the start of every college quarter. The first picture is the day I left for my first day at college, and every subsequent picture is before I leave for the new quarter.

mooooose

Trying to keep low carb. Been eating a lot of eggs, wraps (at school, so this is one of the lowest carb this around, usually do whole wheat, turkey, mozzerella and either a little ranch or honey mustard), beef, and fish. A snack I've been making a lot of is pizza on flatouts which are like 16g carb for the bread then probably around 5g carb for the sauce which doesn't seem bad.

Never drink soda or anything. So far, I haven't lost much if any weight. I go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week and do heavy lifting and eat A LOT of this food I'm listing, but mostly because I'm actually hungry and trying to get enough protein in. But keeping it decently low carb, I'm a little frustrated.

For the record, I'm 5'6" and around 165, definitely my heaviest.

Mook1e

Taken from the post a pic of yourself thread. I'm cutting for 4 weeks. I started on 20 March here:
192KJObo9KeZiEzhQAQ7XSW7k9f8D725p.jpeg

here's the latest 02 April:

1ROc3FihZudPG8HKLlOjjFrJYG0RWI1727p.jpeg

I've lost 9 pounds in 2 weeks. I haven't lost any strength..yet.
Went from 190 to 181. I don't want to lose much more, but we'll see. After I cut, I'm going to bulk to 200 (i hope). It's going to be close to impossible to do naturally, but that's the only way I roll.

GatorBait

That seems like a lot of cardio. When you say "steady state" do you mean low impact, light heart rate type stuff as in walking or an elliptical or something?

Also, what's your diet going to consist of to get those 1600 calories?

Exercise: a combination of low impact, light/medium heart rate activity, along with basketball (which skews toward anaerobic activity) once a week or so. I expect to ramp up my exercise schedule and readjust calories at certain weight-loss milestones (i.e. add in body weight exercises at a certain point, more demanding cardio to include outdoor running, and the eventually a full blown weight training regimen).

Diet is going to consist primarily of whole, lean foods: fish/seafood, lean meat (chicken, beef, pork), eggs, nuts, plenty of veggies, fruits (primarily berries), legumes and whole grains, low-fat dairy, and healthy oils/fats.

Piecake

Exercise: a combination of low impact, light/medium heart rate activity, along with basketball (which skews toward anaerobic activity) once a week or so. I expect to ramp up my exercise schedule and readjust calories at certain weight-loss milestones (i.e. add in body weight exercises at a certain point, more demanding cardio to include outdoor running, and the eventually a full blown weight training regimen).

Diet is going to consist primarily of whole, lean foods: fish/seafood, lean meat (chicken, beef, pork), eggs, nuts, plenty of veggies, fruits (primarily berries), legumes and whole grains, low-fat dairy, and healthy oils/fats.

nothing wrong with fat. Embrace the delciousness

GatorBait

nothing wrong with fat. Embrace the delciousness

Multiple items in my list include fats, but I also have to keep in mind total calories while losing weight, so there are areas that are better served for me to pick-and-choose to go with leaner/lower-fat products to keep calories in check.

Piecake

Multiple items in my list include fats, but I also have to keep in mind total calories while losing weight, so there are areas that are better served for me to pick-and-choose to go with leaner/lower-fat products to keep calories in check.

I doubt youd need to count calories if you keep to that kind of diet, and counting calories might hurt your in the long run since youd just be so sick of starving yourself that you just end up quitting. A lot of people have had success with that diet (probably minus the whole wheat, but whole wheat is alright) without counting calories

teh_pwn

If you're going with that approach, at least choose low fat foods that satiate. Try boiled potatoes and lean steaks.

GatorBait

I doubt youd need to count calories if you keep to that kind of diet, and counting calories might hurt your in the long run since youd just be so sick of starving yourself that you just end up quitting. A lot of people have had success with that diet (probably minus the whole wheat, but whole wheat is alright) without counting calories

I've never been real strict with calorie counting when I've been on a diet, but I usually ballpark a general idea of my total calories for each meal. It gives me a better idea on one of the weight loss variables when charting/adjusting my goals and progress.

1600 calories seems like it may be a little low to me without running the numbers, but perhaps it actually is alright if aiming for 2 lbs/week loss, which is why I originally asked the question.

so im down to a large shirt and I will be weighing my self this week.

MOOBS are still very much there, but there going away, slowly but surely. I think I'll try doing more pushups. From the people I've talked to and shit I've read online, that seems like the best supplement in getting rid of man breasts.

I think my body fat % is really high too, obviously.

Seanspeed

Banned

MOOBS are still very much there, but there going away, slowly but surely. I think I'll try doing more pushups. From the people I've talked to and shit I've read online, that seems like the best supplement in getting rid of man breasts.

Pushups do nothing for getting rid of man boobs. If anything, it'll just make them bigger. Its all about burning fat. Cant be said enough - you cant target areas of the body when it comes to fat loss. It sucks, but its the way it is.

1600 calories a day sounds fine for your height/weight and goal. Ideally, you'll want to eat a bit more on the days you do cardio. Its not gonna kill you if you dont, though. Just keep an eye on your energy levels. If they seem to drop, then you'll want to eat more. And make sure you're getting plenty of protein within those 1600+ calories. A calorie deficit plus a high amount of cardio will = muscle loss and you'll want to minimize that. Unless you're working specifically for endurance or improving your heart, I think many people would recommend cutting back a little on the cardio and including some weight lifting, again to minimize muscle loss and in turn maximize fat loss, but thats up to you. You'll acheive your goal of 2lbs/week loss either way, I'm sure.

You're just going to build up your pecs underneath your moobs by doing push-ups (among other things), your chest will eventually start pushing out more and maybe you'll stretch them over a larger area but you're not going to really get rid of them if you're not somehow burning the fat away.

Top Bottom