• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Does anyone have any experience with psyllium husk? I've heard that it's zero calories, non-digestable, and makes you feel full. The reason I ask is because the late-night snack is my weakness. It sounds like if I take some psyllium husk whenever I get those urges, this could help me get through those.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Does anyone have any experience with psyllium husk? I've heard that it's zero calories, non-digestable, and makes you feel full. The reason I ask is because the late-night snack is my weakness. It sounds like if I take some psyllium husk whenever I get those urges, this could help me get through those.

It's just fiber, *shrug*.

It's just fiber, *shrug*.

Yeah, I've read up on it a bit, but my main question was is it worth bothering with? Apparently, it expands and turns into a gelatin when it's in your stomach -- which sounds disgusting now that I'm typing it out -- but I seem to hit my 1,600 calorie limit at dinner. Then three hours later before bed, I'm up looking for something to grab from the fridge.

So was just curious if anyone used it before.

LaneDS

I took it with my protein shakes for a while and found it to be vile stuff; felt like I was pouring sawdust into them. But yes, it's fiber, fiber fills you up, and if you don't think it's as gross then it should help curb hunger. You might want to practice eating sawdust first.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Can you guys recommend some good protein shakes?

I want to try something new... but I really don't have a clue.
for over a year, I've been using muscle milk lol :(
My primary concern/goal is low sugar.

edit: Also... I want to get more fiber in my diet. How can I do that?

Seanspeed

Banned
gptcha guys, thanks.
All that said, dont be afraid of pushups or working out your chest in general. If you're on a calorie deficit diet(or 'cutting' diet, and I'm assuming you are since its the best way to burn fat and you're in the weight loss thread), then your chest shouldn't grow much, if at all. Once you do burn the fat away, it'll be nice to have some decent looking pecs underneath.

We weren't trying to scare you away from pushups and chest exercises. Weight training itself is a very good tool for improving the fat-burning process.

I cant imagine it would do much once you're already hungry. Fiber helps you feel satisified with what you've eaten, but on its own, its probably not going to make hunger go away.

What is your diet like? It could well be that you just need to eat more for dinner. And if you dont think you're getting enough fiber in your diet, then dinner would be the ideal time to take the fiber supplement, so it can actually have an effect on keeping you feeling full longer.

Another option is to just snack and indulge your hunger. If you're eating well and your body gets hungry, its probably because it requires more sustenance. Of course the difficult thing is to find something good to snack on and just like with any other meal, portion control is key. Especially if you snack on nuts like a lot of people on a diet like to. Other things to maybe consider are beef jerky(my favorite snack, but pricey), cottage cheese(anything 2% fat and above is very tasty to me), a few slices of turkey bacon(yes, bacon as a snack!), a nice glass of milk, an apple or an orange, or maybe cook up an egg or two. I also have a protein powder that surprisingly provides a decent amount of satisfaction, hunger-wise, when mixed with water(milk, too, but watch the calories).

No doubt there will be other times you just crave some chips or some cookies or pizza or whatever your junk food of choice is, but you've got to fight through it. Eating proteins and fiber is the best way to keep yourself from being hungry, but lord knows that this doesn't stop you from wanting something more 'delectable' once in a while, so just like with everybody, you're gonna need to exercise a certain amount of willpower. Some people find it helps to just make sure there's no junk food in the house at all.

EDIT: Read that you're hitting your 1600 cal limit at dinner. Is there anything in your diet throughout the day that you could do without? For example, cutting out carbs and eating more meat/vegetables is a great way to get more calories in and increase your hunger satisifaction.

If your main goal is low sugar, then get some unflavored protein powder and just mix it with water. It doesn't taste good(but not horrible, either), but it does the trick.

All that said, dont be afraid of pushups or working out your chest in general. If you're on a calorie deficit diet(or 'cutting' diet, and I'm assuming you are since its the best way to burn fat and you're in the weight loss thread), then your chest shouldn't grow much, if at all. Once you do burn the fat away, it'll be nice to have some decent looking pecs underneath.

We weren't trying to scare you away from pushups and chest exercises. Weight training itself is a very good tool for improving the fat-burning process.

I cant imagine it would do much once you're already hungry. Fiber helps you feel satisified with what you've eaten, but on its own, its probably not going to make hunger go away.

What is your diet like? It could well be that you just need to eat more for dinner. And if you dont think you're getting enough fiber in your diet, then dinner would be the ideal time to take the fiber supplement, so it can actually have an effect on keeping you feeling full longer.

Another option is to just snack and indulge your hunger. If you're eating well and your body gets hungry, its probably because it requires more sustenance. Of course the difficult thing is to find something good to snack on and just like with any other meal, portion control is key. Especially if you snack on nuts like a lot of people on a diet like to. Other things to maybe consider are beef jerky(my favorite snack, but pricey), cottage cheese(anything 2% fat and above is very tasty to me), a few slices of turkey bacon(yes, bacon as a snack!), a nice glass of milk, an apple or an orange, or maybe cook up an egg or two. I also have a protein powder that surprisingly provides a decent amount of satisfaction, hunger-wise, when mixed with water(milk, too, but watch the calories).

No doubt there will be other times you just crave some chips or some cookies or pizza or whatever your junk food of choice is, but you've got to fight through it. Eating proteins and fiber is the best way to keep yourself from being hungry, but lord knows that this doesn't stop you from wanting something more 'delectable' once in a while, so just like with everybody, you're gonna need to exercise a certain amount of willpower. Some people find it helps to just make sure there's no junk food in the house at all.

EDIT: Read that you're hitting your 1600 cal limit at dinner. Is there anything in your diet throughout the day that you could do without? For example, cutting out carbs and eating more meat/vegetables is a great way to get more calories in and increasing your hunger satisifaction.

thanks man, im on a 1000-1500 cal diet.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

Fiber = berries. The fiber people usually eat from grains and fiber powders (unless specified to be soluble) is NOT the fiber you should be having. Soluble fiber is the one you should have (from fruits, veggies, and sweet potato).

For protein shakes, this is my favorite: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GIURM2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ingredient is quite literally, "Whey Protein, Cocoa, Stevia" in that order and that's about it.

Yasae

Banned
You're just going to build up your pecs underneath your moobs by doing push-ups (among other things), your chest will eventually start pushing out more and maybe you'll stretch them over a larger area but you're not going to really get rid of them if you're not somehow burning the fat away.
Basically.

You're almost completely at the mercy of genetics when it comes to where you gain weight. Some carry it well, some do not. I suffered a lot of ridicule in school because of my moobs. I just carry a lot of weight in my chest and that's the way things are when I'm fat. Nothing I can do about it except lose the excess pounds. They'll go down slowly but surely; unfortunately it seems they take the longest to get rid of.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Az

Alright, finally sort of ready to post pics. Went down from 220 solid to about a 188 at the moment. Don't have fat pix on hand right now as I am not at home. As you can tell I still have lots of work to do, especially on my lower abdomen. So if you got tips throw them my way.

http://i.imgur.com/blstH.jpg?2

LegoArmo

Hey guys, I've been on Keto for about 10 days now, and now I seem to have lost all appetite to eat anything. Yesterday I had less than 500 calories (4 eggs and a bit of cheese), and today I'm not hungry at all.

Will this pass?

dantehemi

Eating keto foods really keep you full. I've been keto since beginning of January. And there are somedays I have no appetite, but also some days I'm really really hungry. You will have days where you just eat and eat

zam

Yeah, on keto there are days I can get by with one or two meals, other days I'm pretty hungry. Just go by your body's hunger signals, if you are hungry then eat, if you aren't hungry then don't eat.

Also when I started keto I noticed a huge drop in appetite, after a while my appetite came back (though not to the levels before I started keto).

Hackbert

don´t know your daily routines, but my stomach is like a trained bear.. if he does not get his meat/meal three times a day he starts to growl ^^. But yeah, low carb lifestyle is thankfully very easy to do. The snacks i would take normally late night or after lunch are gone.

Seanspeed

Banned
Alright, finally sort of ready to post pics. Went down from 220 solid to about a 188 at the moment. Don't have fat pix on hand right now as I am not at home. As you can tell I still have lots of work to do, especially on my lower abdomen. So if you got tips throw them my way.

http://i.imgur.com/blstH.jpg?2
Looks like you're on the right path already. Keep it up and those lower abs will start to show. Nice job.

alphaNoid

Banned
Been cutting like crazy lately trying to drop some last minute weight before a weeding I'm in this saturday. Since 1/1 I'm down 25, but in the last week I've lost 7 pounds. Still have 10 miles to run today as the last workout.

I'll probably gain 5lbs of it back over the weekend lol, then idle through the summer. 2 more weddings in the fall to slim up for. FML

553322_298772086863339_100001916515568_726824_986649902_n.jpg

First pic was like 9/2011 last was taken 3/2012. This is the result of my brother doing a low carb diet from like 9/2011-11/2011 then breaking from keto and low carb, then switching to eating whatever he wants doing Intermittent Fasting. ( which is much easier )

I should be posting some pics of myself soon too =D

You guys might remember my brother from this thread... LOL http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441543

dralla

Well this sucks, who knew losing weight could make you sicker? I've been having bad attacks, severe pain in my upper abdomen, than developed a case of jaundice. I've got gallstones, which is common when you lose a decent amount of weight. A lot of people have them with no symptoms, unfortunately for me one of them was passed into my liver, hence the jaundice. I need to get surgery to remove any other stones that may have been passed and have my gallbladder removed. I have no health insurance so this is really gonna cost me :[ Eating a lot of fat also causes the gallbladder to contract and leads to the attacks, so I can't be eating too much fat. Some of the attacks lasted 30 hours and it feels like a heart attack and if I pass more stones into my liver it can lead to permanent damage, so I'm not taking any chances.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Well this sucks, who knew losing weight could make you sicker? I've been having bad attacks, severe pain in my upper abdomen, than developed a case of jaundice. I've got gallstones, which is common when you lose a decent amount of weight. A lot of people have them with no symptoms, unfortunately for me one of them was passed into my liver, hence the jaundice. I need to get surgery to remove any other stones that may have been passed and have my gallbladder removed. I have no health insurance so this is really gonna cost me :[ Eating a lot of fat also causes the gallbladder to contract and leads to the attacks, so I can't be eating too much fat. Some of the attacks lasted 30 hours and it feels like a heart attack and if I pass more stones into my liver it can lead to permanent damage, so I'm not taking any chances.
Holy shit... that type of stuff isn't at all common from what I've ever read... in fact I've never heard of it! Are you saying that all of this is a result of your weight loss/diet or more that it's more pronounced now that you've lost weight?

That sounds really shitty, dude. :/

dralla

Holy shit... that type of stuff isn't at all common from what I've ever read... in fact I've never heard of it! Are you saying that all of this is a result of your weight loss/diet or more that it's more pronounced now that you've lost weight?

That sounds really shitty, dude. :/
the gallstones are very common, my brother lost weight and the same thing happened to him. what's not common is the stones getting passed into the liver, it's just bad luck unfortunately. most people just leave the stones in there because they show no symptoms.

I've never had any problems before the weight loss. There's really no known reason why gallstones form, only things that increase their chance of forming, and one of them is weight loss. And since the same thing happened to my brother I think it's safe to assume for me and him, it was the weight loss.

Surgery consultation is next week, will cost me about 10 grand. I miss my diet! I've been eating nothing but chicken, veggies, fruit, and small amounts of cheese and olive oil. I replaced my eggs with quest bars in the morning. It was the eggs that lead to my 2 major attacks, the second of which caused me to pass the stone into the liver.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
the gallstones are very common, my brother lost weight and the same thing happened to him. what's not common is the stones getting passed into the liver, it's just bad luck unfortunately. most people just leave the stones in there because they show no symptoms.

I've never had any problems before the weight loss. There's really no known reason why gallstones form, only things that increase their chance of forming, and one of them is weight loss. And since the same thing happened to my brother I think it's safe to assume for me and him, it was the weight loss.
Wonder if its something hereditary? Sounds like I've got some research to do, first I've heard of it.

dralla

There's no reason to worry if you have no symptoms. The good news is that the surgery is minor, in and out in one day, they go in through the belly button I believe. The only thing that sucks is the money. My cholesterol/trigs were also great, when I told the doctor how much fat I eat he thought I was joking!

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
So i've started doing what the OP pretty much did although im still a little lazy, im walking around 20,000 steps most days unless i dont go out, switched to coke zero and i do weights but not a full on regime as im in no rush, lost about a stone, but im not posting on here my before and after till im satisfied with myself :p

could somebody suggest a good site for healthy food recipies that arent too expensive, i want to make not eating crap more interesting and fun, i dont trust the internet without somebody real to back it up

You guys might remember my brother from this thread... LOL http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441543

ahahahahahahaahahhahaha! god i remember that from my first year of college!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I seriously need to try jeans on longer.

Before starting to get in shape I was at size 38, borderline 40, and now on P90X2 I have dropped down. I bought new jeans right before P90X2 because I needed them, at 38. A few weeks ago I went and bought a new pair at 36. A week ago I went a bought another pair at 34, and they seemed to fit well in the store. I try them on today and they fit, but the waist is a bit big.

Seriously, from a 38 (almost 40) to a 34 or maybe even 32? Crazyness. Weight loss is expensive. :p So is me not trying on things well enough.

I haven't worn a 32 since early high school about 10 years ago.

KillGore

So GAF, I've been thinking about doing P90 (again) but this time replacing breakfast and lunch with meal replacement shakes. Will I lose weight fast? is it healthy?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So GAF, I've been thinking about doing P90 (again) but this time replacing breakfast and lunch with meal replacement shakes. Will I lose weight fast? is it healthy?

On P90 you're going to need more calories than that.

I m on P90X2 and do a protein shake for breakfast, but then soup or salad for lunch. Add a bigger (meat/veggies) dinner to that and almonds as snacks and that's my plan. :)

Seanspeed

Banned
I seriously need to try jeans on longer.

Before starting to get in shape I was at size 38, borderline 40, and now on P90X2 I have dropped down. I bought new jeans right before P90X2 because I needed them, at 38. A few weeks ago I went and bought a new pair at 36. A week ago I went a bought another pair at 34, and they seemed to fit well in the store. I try them on today and they fit, but the waist is a bit big.

Seriously, from a 38 (almost 40) to a 34 or maybe even 32? Crazyness. Weight loss is expensive. :p So is me not trying on things well enough.

I haven't worn a 32 since early high school about 10 years ago.

Some brands are a bit funky with their sizes, too. I've bought sized 34 pants before that fit exactly like size 36 or even 38 from another brand.

Also keep in mind jeans will stretch out a bit after wearing them for a little while. Whats snug for me in the morning can often feel loose after wearing them a couple hours.

But yea, new clothes shopping can be frustrating and satisfying at the same time when losing weight. Thankfully, I bought a bought a bunch of clothes the last time I lost weight so I've already got a wardrobe waiting for me once I can fit back into them! :)

KillGore

On P90 you're going to need more calories than that.

I m on P90X2 and do a protein shake for breakfast, but then soup or salad for lunch. Add a bigger (meat/veggies) dinner to that and almonds as snacks and that's my plan. :)

So what exactly do you eat for dinner? Do you eat whole wheat bread with your meat or whole wheat rice? or just the meat with veggies? What's the opinion about fruits as a snack? sorry for the amount of questions lol

I've dropped about 30 pounds since late January. Don't really have any good pics for before/after, and I'm still a work in progress so I'll probably post later. Aiming to drop another 20-30 before I start to incorporate lifting.

I'm built pretty stocky, so I can carry weight pretty well, but I also don't show as much of a difference from losing the weight, either. Basically I carry it pretty well distributed, so like my legs are noticeably thinner now, but that isn't something other people really notice. Definitely a smaller gut, but still a gut.

I'm back to my undergraduate weight of 185, but with less muscle than I had. I'm going to drop the weight before I start picking up significantly more in the way of exercise. I get shin splints and stuff from running, so I figure a weight reduction can only help with that issue. I planned to start running once I hit 185, so I'll probably begin to incorporate that in the next couple of days, and ease off if the shin splints start to act up. I usually prefer HIIT because it takes less time, and the distance is what really aggravates the shin splints.

Don't want to pick up weight lifting right now because if I have two separate goals my motivation might suffer for both.

P90X seems interesting, but I don't really know that it is appropriate for an apartment environment with neighbors below me.

Don't want to pick up weight lifting right now because if I have two separate goals my motivation might suffer for both
Your goal shouldn't be to lose weight, it should be to lose fat. Weight lifting can only help with that.

If you want to look good, lose weight. If you want to look good naked lose weight and lift.

Your goal shouldn't be to lose weight, it should be to lose fat. Weight lifting can only help with that.

If you want to look good, lose weight. If you want to look good naked lose weight and lift.

I am aware of the benefits of lifting. I'm also aware of my own limitations. I have a ton of extra fat I would like to focus on reducing before I put the extra goal of a regular lifting regimen on top of things. Build up slowly as it were. I'm incorporating cardio for fitness soon, which obviously isn't the same as lifting, but I just don't want to pile on everything at once and lose motivation to do anything at all.

edit: To clarify, I visited the gym fairly regularly not too long ago- thus the note that I'm at the same weight as my undergraduate days, but less muscular. I just had a problem of getting bored with the whole thing. I get bored of cardio too. My preferred activity is actually to play a game of racquetball a couple of times a week, but I don't often have anybody to play with. That is why P90X is at least interesting with my limited knowledge of it - I like the idea of its variability.

Seanspeed

Banned
I get bored of cardio too.
So why are you choosing to do this over lifting?

You talk about being at a weight you were at before, but with less muscle. You know what would helped with that? Lifting weights.

You talk about still having a gut and not looking a whole lot different. You know what would have helped that? Lifting weights.

Do you have any sort of ultimate goal in mind? You say you want to lose 20 to 30 pounds more before lifting, but you do realize you're going to continue lose even more muscle over that period, right? You're going to be 160lbs and fairly weak. If you were training to be an endurance athlete, great. But you say you plan on lifting in the future, so why would you do this to yourself? It just doesn't make any sense.

So why are you choosing to do this over lifting?

You talk about being at a weight you were at before, but with less muscle. You know what would helped with that? Lifting weights.

You talk about still having a gut and not looking a whole lot different. You know what would have helped that? Lifting weights.

Do you have any sort of ultimate goal in mind? You say you want to lose 20 to 30 pounds more before lifting, but you do realize you're going to continue lose even more muscle over that period, right? You're going to be 160lbs and fairly weak. If you were training to be an endurance athlete, great. But you say you plan on lifting in the future, so why would you do this to yourself? It just doesn't make any sense.

I really didn't come into the thread to start a debate. And I'm certainly not trying to say what you are saying is not true. I know my own limitations, schedule, etc. enough to do what makes sense for me to do. I haven't been to a gym with any regularity for years, so I'm not worried about losing even more muscle.

The implication that I'm somehow worried about not looking much different is something you inferring, not something I said. I look similar because I had a lot of extra fat, and I still have a lot of extra fat I need to lose. The fact that I have less muscle now than when I did go to the gym regularly is so obvious I don't even know why you felt the need to use it as support for your argument. The reason I have less muscle is because I stopped exercising, got lazy, and got fat. Losing the fat before I go back to work on the muscle doesn't make building up muscle impossible.

I have already said why I want to do this- to set up benchmarks that I can meet and then build up from a healthier, lower-fat baseline. I didn't mention it before, but there is the possibility that weight and fitness standards might play a role in my life in the near future, so that was a secondary consideration to dropping weight rather than just dropping fat. Again, since I have not regularly worked out in so long there isn't a lot of muscle to lose.

My ultimate goal is to get to a lower weight, which based on my starting condition is necessarily a lower fat percentage. When my weight was low enough to relieve the stress on my shin splints, I would incorporate HIIT. I don't know what about that leads you to believe I intend to be an endurance runner. I do HIIT because it is more fun, and works better with my schedule.

Ultimately I would have less fat, be a bit fitter, build a bit of muscle from the HIIT, and then incorporate regular visits to the gym as part of my normal routine. And if I end up getting bored at the gym and don't go for a couple of weeks, I wouldn't hurt my ultimate goal of reducing my overall fat, and could jump back on board more easily.

Seanspeed

Banned
my ultimate goal of reducing my overall fat
So lift weights instead of cardio! lol

I'm not trying to debate either man, just trying to give you some good advice on reaching your goal. You seem very stuck in your way of how you want to go about things, though, so I'll just say good luck. :)

Akim

Banned
Anyone else have a problem with not being able to go down shirt sizes? I was an XXL at my largest of 300 pounds and at 200 I'm still an XL. Anything else is way too short lengthwise and in the arms if it's a long sleeve shirt. I'm 6'3 if that matters.

I use it to make chili and salmon patties.

spicy cho

Anyone else have a problem with not being able to go down shirt sizes? I was an XXL at my largest of 300 pounds and at 200 I'm still an XL. Anything else is way too short lengthwise and in the arms if it's a long sleeve shirt. I'm 6'3 if that matters.
Try different brands I guess, maybe there's an L out there long enough for you that will fit you better in the chest/shoulders. Congrats on the 100 pounds off, that's a huge amount of weight.

Top Bottom