• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

harSon

Banned
After months of searching, I finally found a picture of me at my absolute biggest! Never thought I'd be so glad to find a picture of myself in such a disgusting state. I've been searching every damn old camera, phone, friend and family for such a picture, and I've finally fucking found it.

This is probably within a month or two of when I came to the realization that something (a lot of things) needed to change. I was 351 pounds when I went to the doctors to weigh myself, but this picture is probably a good idea of how I looked at the time of my diet's inception. It's both heartbreaking to see, and a sight to be proud of. Heartbreaking because I let myself get that bad, and encouraging because I've come this far.

Anyways, here's the new picture along with the old ones:

6XsyO.png

Pictures of me at my heaviest, 351 pounds:
3C6df.png

WcHGZ.jpg

korT3.png

Picture of me today at 189 pounds:
DrQ9l.jpg

ffdgh

Sup weight loss Gaf, wanted to wait until after my first week before I post. First off I wanna say that this topic is super inspirational and what drove me over the edge to finally shed some pounds since I'm 20, 5'7 and been stuck in the 190s for like 2 years but thankfully didn't go any higher that than usually.

Alrighty my Starting weight was 197.4 on June 18 so I started watching my carbs and kept them within 50-70g, started eating better, drinking lots of water, and jump roped 5 days out the week for 20 minutes/afternoon. Got on the scale this morning and saw that I lost 10 pounds and now weight 187.4 :D

Its been surprisingly easy and jumping rope has increased my stamina. It feels so good to not get so easily tired from basic tasks.

My short term goal is to reach 160 pounds within 2-3 months and it seems like so far it seems like it'll be a breeze.

Unfortunately, i Can't find spaghetti squash anywhere around where I live, it does look interesting though.

Surely there is a home made low carb pasta recipie like those low carb breads. If you could come up with something, you'd make a fortune.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Unfortunately, i Can't find spaghetti squash anywhere around where I live, it does look interesting though.

Surely there is a home made low carb pasta recipie like those low carb breads. If you could come up with something, you'd make a fortune.

My local chain grocery store has pasta made with spinach that has like 10 calories per serving. It's no pasta, but it's not bad.

I may try the salad thing. I'm doing Insanity but my weight loss has stopped and I still have about 15 pounds to go.

Fireye

There are low carb "pasta" like products. The low-carbiest of them are the yam based Shirataki Noodles. I tried it once, and wasn't overly fond of it, since it was very chewy.

It's easier to make low carb "bread", because bread isn't required to be springy and flexible. Most low carb bread products get there by pumping up the fiber, which isn't really as feasible for pasta products. If you decide to go after some pasta that advertises itself as low carb, beware. As shown here, it might not be really "low carb", but "slow carb".

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
After months of searching, I finally found a picture of me at my absolute biggest! Never thought I'd be so glad to find a picture of myself in such a disgusting state. I've been searching every damn old camera, phone, friend and family for such a picture, and I've finally fucking found it.

This is probably within a month or two of when I came to the realization that something (a lot of things) needed to change. I was 351 pounds when I went to the doctors to weigh myself, but this picture is probably a good idea of how I looked at the time of my diet's inception. It's both heartbreaking to see, and a sight to be proud of. Heartbreaking because I let myself get that bad, and encouraging because I've come this far.

6XsyO.png

Wow congrats. I still cannot imagine myself loosing that much weight. You look so good now.

6XsyO.png

You look great. However, you hair is dope in that pic.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Is there like somekind of "cap" or "limit" to how much weightloss keto can attribute to?

I'm been steadily losing weight for 4 weeks now. A very rough guesstimate from my end would be that I'm at 14%~ BF at 155 lbs ( I'm rather short ). My goal is to reach around 8%, is it possible ( i.e enough ) with keto and exercise alone or do you have to do other stuff to be able to reach those levels?

My appetite has absolutely exploded this past week. Like, two months ago I could easily get by with a light meal plan, but lately I've been super-hungry.

Hackbert

motivation for free for all threadlurker ^^ i my lazy ass can do it, so can everybody. Very much liked the utube video posted about the veteran with his iron discipline. respect
abnahme.png

i kinda don´t wanne see the scale rising again, but i "need"/want to buff up over the next half year. will be an interesting one year after shot...(hopefully)

Fireye

motivation for free for all threadlurker ^^ i my lazy ass can do it, so can everybody. Very much liked the utube video posted about the veteran with his iron discipline. respect

i kinda don´t wanne see the scale rising again, but i "need"/want to buff up over the next half year. will be an interesting one year after shot...(hopefully)

Not sure if smirking, or trying to smile. Either way, you look amazing! How tall are you, and what sort of changes did you make to your life to achieve that transformation?

LaneDS

Damn, nearly a hundred pounds in six months? That's impressive. How tall are you, and what methods have you used to lose that weight?

Edit: spiff'd.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20277502/abnahme.png[IMG]

i kinda don´t wanne see the scale rising again, but i "need"/want to buff up over the next half year. will be an interesting one year after shot...(hopefully)[/QUOTE]

Nice work dude.

You could totally be wearing Medium shirts by the way.

Hackbert

thanks for the kind words ^^

nothing dramatic. i qoute myself from late march this year, where i posted my first two pictures.
Just through changing my diet to low carb (but not that serious.. more like 80-100 gr of carbs), cutting all the crap and daily rides with the bike but mostly my daily 6 km /3,8 miles walk, if the weather allowed it.

Yesterday i went to my university's gym to register.First time in my life in such a fitnesscenter hehe. The toning begins ^^
Still got a lot of loose bellyfat that i want to melt away. Everytime i need a bit more motivation i read a few pages of this thread. 3 months later - first post ^^

the walking /cycling routine is gone. Since April i went to the gym every second day if possible and not sore. Our Gym has a strengthcardio circle like this :
milon-zirkel1.JPG

I ´dont know how efficient this method of training is, but it is kinda relaxing hehe. the normal studio stuff is most of the time used by the more serious sport students. I hate to wait. Takes about 20 minutes one round. this 2x + 30 min of cycling or crosstrainer.

Every other two days i started to jog a bit. don´t know how i could do that without music i have to admit. I now jog 30-45 minutes 2-3 times the week around the campus own keep-fit trail (german word would be "Trimm-Dich-Pfad")

Eating habits : as described, i don´t eat starch loaded stuff anymore. But i do not count every calorie or carbs. A lot of eggs, vegetables, salad , chicken and fish meals. I love to cook ^^.
Have to admit that in the last month my abstinence of alcohol was broken. also i oversnack on almonds and sunflower seeds + dark chocolate. So yeah. Everyone can do it.

oh almost forgot. i am 6'1" i think.. in centimetres : 186cm

Great results in here. Trying to use it to motivate me to get back into my more stable routine of riding, but I've been a bit more stressed/apathetic since this semester ended so I'm struggling with that. I still much better than I ever have, and no the stubborn belly fat can be gone with more dedication to exercise and perhaps a slight adjustment in my diet. Though I've done quite well in that regard.

Keep it up everyone.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
It took 297 pages, but I'm doing this now. I just finished taking a couple fat-nasty pics, and I'm about to go for a jog.

I'm 36 years old, and I'm 5'10''. I'm two hundred sixty five pounds.
My goal? To be back to one hundred ninety nine.

Looong way to go. Wish me luck, GAF.

LaneDS

It took 297 pages, but I'm doing this now. I just finished taking a couple fat-nasty pics, and I'm about to go for a jog.

Less long than you probably think, if you stick to your guns on diet and exercise. Good luck, and we'll be seeing thinner you back here soon no doubt.

Seguin

Banned

What kind of changes do you intend to make dietary-wise?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
New Swedish study just published in the British Medical Journal doesn't like low-carb - thoughts?

http://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e4026

Can someone with a good knowledge of scientific research explain to me why researchers even bother with these self-administered questionnaire-based studies? It seems folly to draw any kind of conclusion from something that is almost completely unmonitored.

So cardio is the way to go to lose weight first and then bulk up?

I've started going to the gym 4 days a week since the start of June. I dont really have a routine (other than doing the cycle for 3 miles at gear 10 for a warm up) and kind of just try out machines lol. I might just start going to this cardio class on Monday and Wedesday so I can have some sort of structure.

One thing is for sure, I need more arm strength. They are weak (cause programming doesnt require alot of muscles :p ). Any tips?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

go get em!

I started over a year or two ago ( very much on and off with lack off discipline but now I've really been sticking to it all )

age 25 / height 5' 7" / 170 cm
starting weight : 255 lbs / 115 kg ( FUCK )
now : 152 lbs / 69 kg
goal : 145 lbs / 65 kg

almost there... almost there, so close I can fucking smell it!!!!

Really need some bitching before/after photos.

Seguin

Banned
So cardio is the way to go to lose weight first and then bulk up?

I've started going to the gym 4 days a week since the start of June. I dont really have a routine (other than doing the cycle for 3 miles at gear 10 for a warm up) and kind of just try out machines lol. I might just start going to this cardio class on Monday and Wedesday so I can have some sort of structure.

One thing is for sure, I need more arm strength. They are weak (cause programming doesnt require alot of muscles :p ). Any tips?

There's nothing wrong with some cardio, but I greatly prefer lifting heavy things for overall health. Check out the fitness thread if you want to learn about weight lifting. Also if you follow a routine the chances of having success are much better, it's good to have structure.

Hackbert

Good Luck and maybe start with fast walking for an hour for 3-4 miles. I hated it to jog with my weight.

SeanR1221

Can someone with a good knowledge of scientific research explain to me why researchers even bother with these self-administered questionnaire-based studies? It seems folly to draw any kind of conclusion from something that is almost completely unmonitored.

Limitations of the study, really. There's only so much you can do realistically.

olore

Go bro, I`m as young as you and you just need to get your head in gear and the rest will follow

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Posted in the carb thread, but I need some menu tips.

Weekdays:

Breakfast: Either a protein shake (Atkins, Muscle Milk) or an Atkins breakfast bar (around 130 calories).

Snack 1: Almonds, Cheese stick

Lunch: Progresso Soup + Strawberries, or Salad greens mix with Turkey lunch meat and dressing + Strawberries.

Snack 2: Almonds, Cheese stick

Dinner: Either Chicken breast + veggies/cottage cheese or eggs + veggies

Weekend:

3 Meals (includes Friday night): Turkey dog + Bun + veggies + cheese
1 meal: Out
1 meal: something like tacos with turkey meat on low carb shells + veggies + cheese.

As mentioned my weekend is the worst when I eat out more than once, but the turkey dogs are those "seem bad for you so I crave them, but they aren't bad for you" meals.

Tips? I know I should probably get more calories during the week. My weight loss has slowed a lot though with 15 lbs left to go. As a note, I currently do Insanity.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

Weekdays:

Breakfast: Either a protein shake (Atkins, Muscle Milk) or an Atkins breakfast bar (around 130 calories).

Lunch: Progresso Soup + Strawberries, or Salad greens mix with Turkey lunch meat and dressing + Strawberries.

Weekend:

1 meal: something like tacos with turkey meat on low carb shells + veggies + cheese.

As mentioned my weekend is the worst when I eat out more than once, but the turkey dogs are those "seem bad for you so I crave them, but they aren't bad for you" meals.

Tips? I know I should probably get more calories during the week. My weight loss has slowed a lot though with 15 lbs left to go. As a note, I currently do Insanity.

I'd mix the almonds and cheese sticks into lunch so you only eat three times a day. Only snack if you REALLY need to.

Bealost

I don't know how much you know about what I've done for myself over the last two years, so I need to explain a little. I have managed to transform myself from an overweight, relatively sedentary person into an active and fit individual. After losing almost one hundred pounds, 90 to be exact at the time I wrote this, I feel great. The feeling is almost indescribable. I've decided that I want to share this feeling of being healthy with others who may feel like I did two years ago. One of the hobbies that I have adopted during my transformation is hiking. It is an excellent way to get out, be active and meet people. I was introduced to an organization called Team in Training through some good friends that I have come to know through hiking.

Team in Training promotes an active and healthy lifestyle for its participants through training for endurance events such as marathons, triathlons and hikes, as a team. During their training each team member pledges to raise money for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society). LLS is a charitable organization that raises money for cancer research, financial aid, and treatment. Their main focus is on find a cure for leukemia, the number one killing disease of children, as well as improving the quality of life for patients and their families. This was the perfect way for me to attempt to share the experience of being a healthy and active person with others, Both through my teammates who I am training with every Saturday and through the patients that will benefit from the money I raise for LLS. TNT has, since 1988, raised over $1,000,000,000 for LLS. To be clear I do NOT work for LLS or TNT I am simply fundraising on their behalf.

My transformation:
transform1.jpg

For anyone interested in helping me out, you can donate to my fund here: http://pages.teamintraining.org/ma/zionpark12/DORourke
Thank you.

Arksy

Ok GAF. Scrolling through this thread and seeing all the awesome transformations. I'm shit out of luck when it comes to excuses. Tomorrow is my 25th birthday and I'm sick and tired of being overweight. I am completely and utterly sedentiary and that needs to change stat. Not going to overdo it so don't worry about that.

Current Weight: 125kgs/275.5lbs
Goal Weight: 90kgs/198.4lbs
Weight Loss Required: 35kgs/77.2lbs

Before I start:
I've been looking through here and I see that there are a few diets that are popular, Ketogenic/Primal/LCHF. I'm just wondering what kind of diets people would recommend to me given my weight loss goals. I can tell you that I eat way too much take out. Almost daily. I do eat plenty of fruit and veg so I don't think I'm deficient in vitamin C or any other micronutrients. I would prefer to keep being able to eat carbs but not averse to a significant cut down, I would just prefer not having to completely avoid bread/noodles/pasta.

SeanR1221

Ok GAF. Scrolling through this thread and seeing all the awesome transformations. I'm shit out of luck when it comes to excuses. Tomorrow is my 25th birthday and I'm sick and tired of being overweight. I am completely and utterly sedentiary and that needs to change stat so for my birthday I was gifted with an elliptical machine and plan to set it up in my room in front of my Monitors and plug away while watching TV series when I can. Not going to overdo it so don't worry about that.

Current Weight: 125kgs/275.5lbs
Goal Weight: 90kgs/198.4lbs
Weight Loss Required: 35kgs/77.2lbs

Before I start:
I've been looking through here and I see that there are a few diets that are popular, Ketogenic/Primal/LCHF. I'm just wondering what kind of diets people would recommend to me given my weight loss goals. I can tell you that I eat way too much take out. Almost daily. I do eat plenty of fruit and veg so I don't think I'm deficient in vitamin C or any other micronutrients. I would prefer to keep being able to eat carbs but not averse to a significant cut down, I would just prefer not having to completely avoid bread/noodles/pasta.

Define plenty of fruits and vegetables.

What's a typical day look like for you?

SeanR1221

Weekdays:

Weekend:

I'd cut out stuff like progreso soup and turkey lunch meat in your salad.

Stick to unprocessed stuff like actual meats.

Ever consider eggs for breakfast?

Dinner there are plenty of meats and fish you can substitute for chicken. What vegetables are you eating?

Arksy

Define plenty of fruits and vegetables.

What's a typical day look like for you?

This may explain why I'm overweight but here goes.

I try my best when I'm eating out to add some vegies to whatever it is I'm eating. For example if i go to KFC I'll get a twister instead of pieces of chicken or whatever at least the twister has some lettuce/tomato in it. My eating habits are absolutely awful however. I eat take out far too frequently. Usually around 5+ times a week a meal will be a take out meal. Sometimes they might be a curry + rice or noodles but sometimes I got the fish and chips or pizza. My caloric intake is probably around 12,000KJs a day on average. I eat way to many meat pies and burgers. The food I eat at home is usually some form of stew or goulash.

Does anyone have a medium intensity easy to adopt diet to try out while I get into the swing of it? I don't want to jump right into the deep end for fear of burning out and pigging out. :)

SeanR1221

Yeah a KFC wrap isn't a vegetable ;)

I'm in a rush getting ready for work, but stick to things like chicken, pork, turkey, broccoli, green beans, spinach, asparagus, almonds, eggs, eggs, eggs, bacon (to go with eggs), tuna, salmon, chicken sausage and many many many more.

Try cutting out grains during the week for a month, see how you feel. Give yourself one MEAL (I'm not big on a cheat "day" and have like pasta or pizza for dinner, but during the week no bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, corn, etc.

Also, watching tv while exercising is fine for now, but IMO you should be pushing it where you can listen to music but can't pay attention to TV.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My way to go about it would be to start small on your LIFESTYLE change.

First step is to count your calories for 2-3 days on what you would normally eat. If you know already all the better.

Look at what easy adjustments you can make. If you are eating 12kcal a day... cut that down to 6, then 5, then 4 over a week and see how you feel.

Easy ways to do this:
1) Cut Sugar drinks. This can easily eliminate 2kcal alone per day for some and it's all just terrible sugar for you making you eat more
2) Eat more filling foods. Fast food burgers don't fill me up, neither does pizza. I could eat 2500kcal in a sitting. Try eating that much of some grilled chicken breast, vegetables, and whole grain nutty bread with some block cheese.

*Lot of vegetables means some for lunch and dinner, making up a good portion and filling you up. If you do fast food, salads are surprisingly good at most chains now. Just opt for the grilled and not crispy chicken.
Some good filling snacks I have around (Don't like prepping food or cooking):
Sweet Potatoes. Stick in a microwave for 6 minutes, flip midway.
Greek yogurt
Grapefruit
Snack cheese and lean deli meat
Beef Jerky
Carrots

Arksy

From what I've managed to quickly google it doesn't appear healthy to completely cut out carbohydrates.

My way to go about it would be to start small on your LIFESTYLE change.

First step is to count your calories for 2-3 days on what you would normally eat. If you know already all the better.

Look at what easy adjustments you can make. If you are eating 12kcal a day... cut that down to 6, then 5, then 4 over a week and see how you feel.

Easy ways to do this:
1) Cut Sugar drinks. This can easily eliminate 2kcal alone per day for some and it's all just terrible sugar for you making you eat more
2) Eat more filling foods. Fast food burgers don't fill me up, neither does pizza. I could eat 2500kcal in a sitting. Try eating that much of some grilled chicken breast, vegetables, and whole grain nutty bread with some block cheese.

I've already made the jump from sugary soft drinks to diet ones and have been on diet only soft drinks for a few months now. I still think I'm consuming too many diet soft drinks (about 600ml a day on average). I bought a steamer recently and have been learning how to make some good stuff with it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
For my body I tested my reaction to diet soda on keto and my body seemed to hold onto my fat, so if you are able to cut it I would. Different reactions for different people and I know soda can be a very hard thing to give up for some.
From what I've managed to quickly google it doesn't appear healthy to completely cut out carbohydrates.
IMO it's way better to lose a lot of weight as that seems to be an insanely important 'health' factor.

You can eat much less carbs for a few months, just keep your fiber intake up and watch the pounds fall off.
/infomercial

*And the low carb thing is just an easy way to get filling meals and help feel fuller and curb your appetite vs. traditional diets. I tried low fat and was miserable and hungry the entire time I tried. Not for me.

SeanR1221

IMO it's way better to lose a lot of weight as that seems to be an insanely important 'health' factor.

You can eat much less carbs for a few months, just keep your fiber intake up and watch the pounds fall off.

/infomercial

Plus he'll be getting carbs from vegetables, Greek yogurt, almonds, berries.

Arksy

Ok so what you're saying is that i'll get more then enough carbs out of non-grains?

Edit: Beaten.

Any good websites with lists of these sorts of things? Recipes would also be useful. Just some fall back resources that I can take a look at. :)

Transformation begins at midnight on the 29th, my 25th bday.

Top Bottom