• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

dantehemi

What's up my fellow weight loss friends. Haven't posted in so long, but I'm happy to say that I'm still making great
Progress.

Started keto January 6 2012, at 400lbs (6'2") and as of this morning I'm down to 329lbs (still a big dude I know) but I feel great, I'm loving this new lifestyle of mine. My attitude towards life has changed, I was on antidepressants for 4 years prior to starting keto and now I don't take any medication or feel depressed any more :)

Since I started keto, I have only cheated once and it was planned. Sometimes I feel like having a cheat day and eating a plate of pasta, but that feeling quickly subsides and I don't want it any longer.

I feel that I want to start working out, and gain some muscle to go with my ever shrinking physique. What would some of you guys recommend? I'm hearing good things about insanity, and a lot of what I read says a "powerlifting" routine really helps.

I work a very physically demanding construction job, so I can deal with some physical stress. Currently I can do 10 pushups (lol I think that's pretty good for my weight) and I want to increase my strength more than anything (it would help a lot with my job)

Oh and one more thing. Currently I'm trying this intermittent fasting routine, my first meal of the day comes at 12 (lunch) and my last meal is around dinner 630-7 and so far it's working great and I find I actually have more energy at work during the day while I'm in a "fasted" state (does that make sense?)

Any advice or tips anyone can offer would be great, I'm really digging this keto lifestyle and can see myself continuing this for a long long time.

Thanks GAF

Piecake

What's up my fellow weight loss friends. Haven't posted in so long, but I'm happy to say that I'm still making great
Progress.

Started keto January 6 2012, at 400lbs (6'2") and as of this morning I'm down to 329lbs (still a big dude I know) but I feel great, I'm loving this new lifestyle of mine. My attitude towards life has changed, I was on antidepressants for 4 years prior to starting keto and now I don't take any medication or feel depressed any more :)

Since I started keto, I have only cheated once and it was planned. Sometimes I feel like having a cheat day and eating a plate of pasta, but that feeling quickly subsides and I don't want it any longer.

I feel that I want to start working out, and gain some muscle to go with my ever shrinking physique. What would some of you guys recommend? I'm hearing good things about insanity, and a lot of what I read says a "powerlifting" routine really helps.

I work a very physically demanding construction job, so I can deal with some physical stress. Currently I can do 10 pushups (lol I think that's pretty good for my weight) and I want to increase my strength more than anything (it would help a lot with my job)

Oh and one more thing. Currently I'm trying this intermittent fasting routine, my first meal of the day comes at 12 (lunch) and my last meal is around dinner 630-7 and so far it's working great and I find I actually have more energy at work during the day while I'm in a "fasted" state (does that make sense?)

Any advice or tips anyone can offer would be great, I'm really digging this keto lifestyle and can see myself continuing this for a long long time.

Thanks GAF

Id say go into the fitness thread and find the starting strength beginners lifting routine and do that. Doing that and working construction should be plenty of exercise.

And congrats dude! glad you are making and happy with your progress

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Does an indication of keto necessarily "guarantee" that weight is being lost?

The reason I ask is that my keto-stix have been showing dark..daaaark purple for two weeks straight now but I've barely lost half a pound.

I was under the impression that as long as your body is in keto you're continuously losing weight.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Does and indication of keto necessarily "guarantee" that weight is being lost?

The reason I ask is that my keto-stix have been showing dark..daaaark purple for two weeks straight now but I've barely lost half a pound.

I was under the impression that as long as your body is in keto you're continuously losing weight.
How much fat you eating bro?
aka caloric intake

Corky

How much fat you eating bro?
aka caloric intake

energy/protein/fat/carbs

8:00 - 100g eggwhites- 40/10/0/0
10:00 - whey 130/20/0/1
11:00 - 70g bacon + 25g cheese - 240/9/23/0 + 90/7/7/1
14:00 - 50g almonds/pepitos/walnuts - 305/10/26/10
17:00 - 200g salmon450/45/30/0
21:00 - whey 130/20/0/1

And most "meals" sprinkled with greens and vegetables in moderate amounts.

40 + 130 + 240 + 90 + 305 + 450 + 130 = 1400 kcal
10+20+9+7+10+45+20 = 120g protein
23+7+26+30 = 86g fat
1+2+10+1= 14g carbohydrates ( almost exclusively fibers )

I guess that means roughly 800 kcal from fat. Almost 60% of my daily intake.

Also my schedule/intake might look very sparse but I'm a pretty small guy and this really is the final stretch going from :

153 lbs ~ 12% BF to 145 lbs ~8%

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
That seems ok to me. You aren't massively dosing protein in one meal or something.
Not sure from readings, but maybe you aren't able to take up all that protein, so you are getting <1400kcal when your daily sedentary need is near 2000?
Maybe that's a bit too harsh and your body is trying to hold on to your weight?

Just guesses, you seem to have an idea of what you are doing.

Corky

Not sure from readings, but maybe you aren't able to take up all that protein,

Well, I do work out 5 times a week and bike 30 km a day 6 times a week. In other words I really hope my body is able to take up the protein or else I have no idea what's keeping my muscles from disintegrating.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
So I woke up today, weighed myself and I'm now under 200 (199.4) for the first time I can actually remember after starting at 268 and having been as high as 300. I don't think I was ever under 200 even in middle school. I still have quite a ways to go though to get rid of the gut I still have. Currently aiming at 180, and I'm going to start Insanity in the next day or two.

Here's my before and after:

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af74/NPVinny/6c54bab0.jpg
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af74/NPVinny/0256a076.jpg

jufonuk

not tag worthy
So I woke up today, weighed myself and I'm now under 200 (199.4) for the first time I can actually remember after starting at 268 and having been as high as 300. I don't think I was ever under 200 even in middle school. I still have quite a ways to go though to get rid of the gut I still have. Currently aiming at 180, and I'm going to start Insanity in the next day or two.

congrats, I am still in the before stage.. I will get down to a lower weight then do some weights to build up but not too much I guess.

I jsut wanted GAF's advice, I do shifts and on nights atm, do I only eat breakfast and the one meal or treat it like a normal day and eat my breakfast (cereal - shredded wheat) lunch, a low calorie meal deal from Boots (under 500 cals) then like Dinner, tonights it's quorn pasta and veg, (tupperware portion size) ohh and I have apples, oranges, banana, maybe a low fat yoghurt later, then after shift go to bed and dont eat.. also I am drinking water

is thist too much too little?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike

Excellent work! But yeah, good to see you starting something like insanity soon because you need some muscles on that frame, stat!

dralla

congrats, I am still in the before stage.. I will get down to a lower weight then do some weights to build up but not too much I guess.

I jsut wanted GAF's advice, I do shifts and on nights atm, do I only eat breakfast and the one meal or treat it like a normal day and eat my breakfast (cereal - shredded wheat) lunch, a low calorie meal deal from Boots (under 500 cals) then like Dinner, tonights it's quorn pasta and veg, (tupperware portion size) ohh and I have apples, oranges, banana, maybe a low fat yoghurt later, then after shift go to bed and dont eat.. also I am drinking water

is thist too much too little?

You should try and listen to your body and not eat at specific times just because. Your diet seems very heavy on sugar and starches, which is what you don't want to eat for weight loss. Get rid of the cereal for sure, a good breakfast with fats and proteins will help you feel less hungry throughout the day, eggs + bacon/sausage/steak is always a good choice. Than the pasta, which is nothing but empty calories, replace it with something more substantial, a piece of meat perhaps? Avoid low-fat Yogurt, all the fat is sucked out and replaced with sugar. Stick to plain greek yogurt, full-fat if available. You can sweeten it with a natural sweetener like truvia and some fruit.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
You should try and listen to your body and not eat at specific times just because. Your diet seems very heavy on sugar and starches, which is what you don't want to eat for weight loss. Get rid of the cereal for sure, a good breakfast with fats and proteins will help you feel less hungry throughout the day, eggs + bacon/sausage/steak is always a good choice. Than the pasta, which is nothing but empty calories, replace it with something more substantial, a piece of meat perhaps? Avoid low-fat Yogurt, all the fat is sucked out and replaced with sugar. Stick to plain greek yogurt, full-fat if available. You can sweeten it with a natural sweetener like truvia and some fruit.

thanks dude, will try that, so omlettes are ok to do? will do that

I am gonan cut out pasta, and yeah I am starting to listen to when i am hungry or not.. will try more like Chicken breasts and side salads etc, is cous cous ok to eat?

but doesnt eating fats make you put on weight and higher cholesteral etc

dralla

thanks dude, will try that, so omlettes are ok to do? will do that

I am gonan cut out pasta, and yeah I am starting to listen to when i am hungry or not.. will try more like Chicken breasts and side salads etc, is cous cous ok to eat?

but doesnt eating fats make you put on weight and higher cholesteral etc

Nope, fat is very good for you, natural fats I should say. Fats from meat, sea food, eggs, nuts and seeds, butter, olive oil, coconut oil and all coconut products, avocados, ect. Bad fats are ones that are artificial, like trans fats found in junk food, and fats found in vegetable oils like soybean oil, corn oil, canola oil, ect.

Eating fats and cholesterol have little to no effect on cholesterol in the blood, it's the sugar that does it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nope, fat is very good for you, natural fats I should say. Fats from meat, sea food, eggs, nuts and seeds, butter, olive oil, coconut oil and all coconut products, avocados, ect. Bad fats are ones that are artificial, like trans fats found in junk food, and fats found in vegetable oils like soybean oil, corn oil, canola oil, ect.

Eating fats and cholesterol have little to no effect on cholesterol in the blood, it's the sugar that does it.

so I can eat like brazil nuts cahsews (not salted jsut the plain?)

I am trying to eat more fish.. I will slowly change the way I eat, thanks for the advice :)

so what kind of meats jsut like chicken? because if steak is ok I got one in the freezer wil use that up lol

love adovcados as well

sphinx

the piano man
a friend of me just told about some magic drops he is going to take for the next 40 days and for the first three days of the treatment, he has to have a surplus of calories, as much as he can, eat like a pig but then from the 3rd day onward, just 500 calories and the drops under the tongue..

anyone knows what treatment is this?? sounds very suspicious.

Piecake

so I can eat like brazil nuts cahsews (not salted jsut the plain?)

I am trying to eat more fish.. I will slowly change the way I eat, thanks for the advice :)

so what kind of meats jsut like chicken? because if steak is ok I got one in the freezer wil use that up lol

any meat is good. Bacon especially, since it tastes so damn good

Omellettes are great. That is pretty much my go to meal when i dotn ahve anything else since is so easy

a friend of me just told about some magic drops he is going to take for the next 40 days and for the first three days of the treatment, he has to have a surplus of calories, as much as he can, eat like a pig but then from the 3rd day onward, just 500 calories and the drops under the tongue..

anyone knows what treatment is this?? sounds very suspicious.

It sounds incredibly stupid. Tell your friend that he is a moron

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I kind of feel like I've hit a wall this past week or so. The thing is though, I haven't. I'm just addicted to the scale. I'm addicted to knowing how my body reacts to all types of foods and liquids that enter my body. And I'm addicted to see how much I weigh after exercising with and without clothes on. I want to know how heavy my shirts are after I've played basketball. How much sweat does my skin hold? What's the difference in weight between me all sweaty and me fresh out of the shower? It started to get to me a little last week. I wasn't seeing the progress I'm normally used to. Especially because 2 weeks ago I had a fantastic week and lost 5 lbs. Then I started to get backed up and the fiber supplements weren't doing their "job". They are, they're just not performing like my crazy mind expects it to.

Then I started holding water weight because I was drinking a lot of diet soda rather than water. That on top of being backed up days at a time, I wasn't seeing any results. And I know it's insane to weigh myself multiple times a day. I know I shouldn't be. I'm just so curious. This week started off slow but I told myself to stay the course. I know I was doing the diet correctly. I wasn't cheating. I started to carry around a gallon of water everywhere with me. I'd take one in the morning to work, then afterwards to tennis and then at home I'd have it with me for dinner and then while I played games. Sure enough I started seeing the results I wanted. It was encouraging again.

I've been having trouble sleeping too so that wasn't helping. It's a battle. But I'm fuckin winning and god damn it's satisfying. I was to have my cheat meal tonight and before I did, I went out and shot some hoops. Felt damn good. Was sweating like a maniac. Hopped on the scale with clothes on and the clothes off. Results were ok. Whatever, I told myself. Went into the shower, hopped on the scale again with clothes on, looked good. Took clothes off, broke through to 3lbs lost on the week (my goal) and I fuckin cheered and jumped around. Felt so good. I enjoyed the fuck out of my cheat meal. I earned that shit.

Cheat meal:
Large bowl of Linguine with Meat sauce. We're talking like 3lbs of pasta.
Mid size tub of Hagen Das Caramel Cone ice cream (best flavor around)
Half a bag of Herr's Jalapeno Kettle Cooked chips
All washed down with diet Sunkist.

Probably about 2500 or 3000 calories, easy.

Took a great shit afterwards. Hoping to take one tomorrow. (Day off of work)

Monday marks 16 weeks on the diet and I've lost 61lbs. I'm addicted to this feeling of accomplishment. Reminds me of my facebook quote I've had there for years,

"...there's this incredible sense of 'Wow, we've done it,' and you can look at this landscape of what you've created below you. That is the drug that I am addicted to -- the feeling of accomplishment." - Peter Molyneux

Let's keep this shit going huh?

Sorry for this long, drawn out post about my mind in the last 10 days or so. It does feel good to get it all out there and see exactly how it happened without trying to put it together in my racing mind. I don't know what I'm going to do when I reach my final goal. Is there a final goal?

Piecake

I kind of feel like I've hit a wall this past week or so. The thing is though, I haven't. I'm just addicted to the scale. I'm addicted to knowing how my body reacts to all types of foods and liquids that enter my body. And I'm addicted to see how much I weigh after exercising with and without clothes on. I want to know how heavy my shirts are after I've played basketball. How much sweat does my skin hold? What's the difference in weight between me all sweaty and me fresh out of the shower? It started to get to me a little last week. I wasn't seeing the progress I'm normally used to. Especially because 2 weeks ago I had a fantastic week and lost 5 lbs. Then I started to get backed up and the fiber supplements weren't doing their "job". They are, they're just not performing like my crazy mind expects it to.

Then I started holding water weight because I was drinking a lot of diet soda rather than water. That on top of being backed up days at a time, I wasn't seeing any results. And I know it's insane to weigh myself multiple times a day. I know I shouldn't be. I'm just so curious. This week started off slow but I told myself to stay the course. I know I was doing the diet correctly. I wasn't cheating. I started to carry around a gallon of water everywhere with me. I'd take one in the morning to work, then afterwards to tennis and then at home I'd have it with me for dinner and then while I played games. Sure enough I started seeing the results I wanted. It was encouraging again.

I've been having trouble sleeping too so that wasn't helping. It's a battle. But I'm fuckin winning and god damn it's satisfying. I was to have my cheat meal tonight and before I did, I went out and shot some hoops. Felt damn good. Was sweating like a maniac. Hopped on the scale with clothes on and the clothes off. Results were ok. Whatever, I told myself. Went into the shower, hopped on the scale again with clothes on, looked good. Took clothes off, broke through to 3lbs lost on the week (my goal) and I fuckin cheered and jumped around. Felt so good. I enjoyed the fuck out of my cheat meal. I earned that shit.

Cheat meal:
Large bowl of Linguine with Meat sauce. We're talking like 3lbs of pasta.
Mid size tub of Hagen Das Caramel Cone ice cream (best flavor around)
Half a bag of Herr's Jalapeno Kettle Cooked chips
All washed down with diet Sunkist.

Probably about 2500 or 3000 calories, easy.

Took a great shit afterwards. Hoping to take one tomorrow. (Day off of work)

Monday marks 16 weeks on the diet and I've lost 61lbs. I'm addicted to this feeling of accomplishment. Reminds me of my facebook quote I've had there for years,

"...there's this incredible sense of 'Wow, we've done it,' and you can look at this landscape of what you've created below you. That is the drug that I am addicted to -- the feeling of accomplishment." - Peter Molyneux

Let's keep this shit going huh?

Sorry for this long, drawn out post about my mind in the last 10 days or so. It does feel good to get it all out there and see exactly how it happened without trying to put it together in my racing mind. I don't know what I'm going to do when I reach my final goal. Is there a final goal?

I also have trouble getting my shit going on the primal diet. I basically have to eat leafy green veggies every day or else my shit aint goin

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I also have trouble getting my shit going on the primal diet. I basically have to eat leafy green veggies every day or else my shit aint goin

lol that's actually not what I meant with that line but yea I've kind of accepted that fact that I'm not going to shit every day. Usually it builds for 3 days max and then I take a nice big one. I do take a fiber supplement everyday though because I'm not a veggies guy. Basically the only veggies I like are Spinach, cucumbers and carrots.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well, I do work out 5 times a week and bike 30 km a day 6 times a week. In other words I really hope my body is able to take up the protein or else I have no idea what's keeping my muscles from disintegrating.
It's the PC gaming.

But seriously, you are that low weight + eating 1400kcal and burning probably near 3000kcal a day.
Maybe look extra into that type of caloric difference and see how that affects you? Again, just guessing at things.

How large is too large of a caloric deficit? Is there one? Examples?

Corky

It's the PC gaming.

But seriously, you are that low weight + eating 1400kcal and burning probably near 3000kcal a day.
Maybe look extra into that type of caloric difference and see how that affects you? Again, just guessing at things.

How large is too large of a caloric deficit? Is there one? Examples?

Hahah hell yeah, pc-gaming is my oxygen ;D

Yeah I'll have a look, gonna stick with this new food routine for 1 week before I make any further adjustments. If I lose 1 lbs in week from now I'll just stick to it and endure.

Arksy

I'm on the primal/paleo/LCHF/type diet and it's been going well but yesterday I was stuck in a hole for 12 hours at University deep into the night with only a vending machine next to me.

Ended up having a 42g pack of M&M peanuts and then later in the night I had a 72g bar of twix which I had acidentally bought instead of another 42g peanut M&M pack. I'm guessing i had 100g of carbs last night. (Rest of the day I had 200g of ham, 100g of cheese and an omelette with 3 eggs, 2 chicken tenderloins, half a leek and about 100g of brocolli and cauliflower).

But yeah I didn't actually enjoy the chocolate it was just the only thing around.

Also eating a fair portion of deli meat that I should probably cut down upon, they're good sources of protein but I'm worried about the high salt content. 4g of salt in a day is probably bad for me.

dralla

I'm on the primal/paleo/LCHF/type diet and it's been going well but yesterday I was stuck in a hole for 12 hours at University deep into the night with only a vending machine next to me.

Ended up having a 42g pack of M&M peanuts and then later in the night I had a 72g bar of twix which I had acidentally bought instead of another 42g peanut M&M pack. I'm guessing i had 100g of carbs last night. (Rest of the day I had 200g of ham, 100g of cheese and an omelette with 3 eggs, 2 chicken tenderloins, half a leek and about 100g of brocolli and cauliflower).

But yeah I didn't actually enjoy the chocolate it was just the only thing around.

Also eating a fair portion of deli meat that I should probably cut down upon, they're good sources of protein but I'm worried about the high salt content. 4g of salt in a day is probably bad for me.
That's why I always make sure to bring food with me when I go out. It's either a 1.5oz tube of almonds, a bag of pork rinds([which my 711 recently started selling!), or a Quest Bar if I want something a little more candy-like.

Ixian

If nothing else, eating M&Ms and other candy once in a while is a good reminder for your stomach as to why you shouldn't eat that junk. :D

I think my body has started to change pretty radically since I've started with this low-carb diet.
Everytime I do my carb-load up on my carb free day (meaning bread, icecream, candy, non-dark chocolate, stuff) I always end up with digestive troubles and stomach aches - and I never had these problems before.

In a way it's a good thing, as I really don't feel like carb-heavy stuff even when I can have them.

And I'm really enjoying "simple" meals such as this (TVP veggie stuff, Broccoli, grilled peppers):

SSg9n.jpg

grumble

I think my body has started to change pretty radically since I've started with this low-carb diet.
Everytime I do my carb-load up on my carb free day (meaning bread, icecream, candy, non-dark chocolate, stuff) I always end up with digestive troubles and stomach aches - and I never had these problems before.

In a way it's a good thing, as I really don't feel like carb-heavy stuff even when I can have them.

And I'm really enjoying "simple" meals such as this (TVP veggie stuff, Broccoli, grilled peppers):

http://i.imgur.com/SSg9n.jpg

You might want to try other kinds of carbs that are less intense than candy (which is straight sugar), ice cream, etc. Be a little more moderate.

Just hit my first plateau since I started around the start of May. Lost about 50 lbs so far but this is the first week + period of no weight loss and it is sure confusing. Not sure whats causing it. I suspect its the fact that I bought a box of those Atkins bars and have been eating them when out and about but not sure.

Other culprits could be me eating too little. Or not drinking enough. Going to have to pay more attention to what I am doing. Felt like I was in a good routine but maybe not.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Well my heavyweight GAF brethren, I'm about to join this coven of dieiting and proper eating habits.

140 kilograms, AKA 308 pounds for my imperial brothers.

I start tomorrow. Standard low fat mediterranean style diet - I am aware of low-carb diets, but the doctor didn't recommend them. Maybe she's out of the loop, or maybe due to my chronic condition they're not advisable. Whatever. I don't care.

Friend was renovating his gear and offered to give me a static bike, which I took. How accurate are the ergometers on these?

I'm scared. I love eating delicious foods... but it is for the best. Will report with my progress.

edit: embarrassing full body shots are on my friend's camera, once he's back from holydays I'll post them for your delightfu scorn.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well my heavyweight GAF brethren, I'm about to join this coven of dieiting and proper eating habits.

I start tomorrow. Standard low fat mediterranean style diet - I am aware of low-carb diets, but the doctor didn't recommend them. Maybe she's out of the loop, or maybe due to my chronic condition they're not advisable. Whatever. I don't care.

Friend was renovating his gear and offered to give me a static bike, which I took. How accurate are the ergometers on these?

I'm scared. I love eating delicious foods... but it is for the best. Will report with my progress.

edit: embarrassing full body shots are on my friend's camera, once he's back from holydays I'll post them for your delightfu scorn.

Sounds like a great state of mind to go into transforming your body and changing your lifestyle!

I'm afraid I'll be hungry the rest of my life.

Does the body ever adjust?

It will adjust quickly, just be ready for a couple days of hunger pains/headaches...then, smooth sailing..

Also, I would recommend a keto diet (low carb high fat) over a low fat diet. Much easier to stick too (in my opinion) and the results you can get are pretty freaking insane.

LaneDS

If you really come at it from the right angle you'll have nothing to be scared of and everything to look forward to, I promise. It'll be hard work, but it'll be completely worth it. Delicious food (in moderation) will always be there for you and if you get good about your diet and exercise there is no reason you can't have it every now and then.

Like most anything, getting started is the hardest part. Like the other poster said, expect the beginning to be unpleasant but after a few weeks or months when you don't recognize yourself in the mirror and feel much, much better you'll look back and see how worth it it was.

It will adjust quickly, just be ready for a couple days of hunger pains/headaches...then, smooth sailing..

Also, I would recommend a keto diet (low carb high fat) over a low fat diet. Much easier to stick too (in my opinion) and the results you can get are pretty freaking insane.
I found it took me about a week for my stomach to shrink and get used to the lower caloric intake; once you get over that you're pretty good.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I found it took me about a week for my stomach to shrink and get used to the lower caloric intake; once you get over that you're pretty good.

I still find myself craving stuff but eating less. but maybe drinking a fuckton of water is stopping my stomach shrinking?

how is peanut butter? yay or nay?

Piecake

I still find myself craving stuff but eating less. but maybe drinking a fuckton of water is stopping my stomach shrinking?

how is peanut butter? yay or nay?

if its all natural peanut butter with no crap added its 'okay' occasionally

If it has crap added, then thats a no

And I have a serious problem with over-eating. Surprsingly it doesnt lead to me gaining weight, I simply cant lose those last 10 pounds eating like I am. Perhaps I just need to exert some more will-power into portion control like I did in what i put in my mouth

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
If you really come at it from the right angle you'll have nothing to be scared of and everything to look forward to, I promise. It'll be hard work, but it'll be completely worth it. Delicious food (in moderation) will always be there for you and if you get good about your diet and exercise there is no reason you can't have it every now and then.

Like most anything, getting started is the hardest part. Like the other poster said, expect the beginning to be unpleasant but after a few weeks or months when you don't recognize yourself in the mirror and feel much, much better you'll look back and see how worth it it was.

Thanks guys. The knowledge and moral encouragement is welcome.

Winding down for the day... Tomorrow, tomorrow...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My main problem with low fat diets is that they just don't make sense. There's no evidence backing their efficacy on the merit of their being low fat.

On the other hand, we know about the relationship between carbs and insulin and what insulin does to your body in regards to adipose tissue. That's the evidence for low carb diets, and we know why they work.

There is no evidence that dietary fat and cholesterol make you fat or otherwise unhealthy. In fact, there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. Therefore, any diet that is purposefully low in fat is operating on a premise that has no evidence in its favor.

I hit a milestone yesterday. I weighed myself and I'm now 170 lbs. That's 10 lbs away from my original goal of 160 (I started at 202 lbs) but based on my gut, I'll probably have to drop that goal to 150 lbs to be where I want to be. I guess that makes sense, since I was 145 lbs when I graduated high school 14 years ago. If I can keep up a pace of 2+ lbs a week, I should be there in a couple more months.

Well I posted some result pics in the P90X thread, but I was advised to toss em in here as well.

These are my results from round 1 of P90X. I wasn't expecting to drop into the 140s, but I was trying really hard to push to single digit BF%... which didn't happen. I'm going to do one more round and see if I can do it, and then try to bulk. But being 5'8" and small framed, I think 140s is alright.

7556182682_c17e21e171_b.jpg

What the...? How?? Really, is that P90X THAT effective?!

despire

Well to be honest he probably didn't gain too much muscle. He just lost a ton of fat and just looks like he gained a lot of muscle because of that.

"Easiest way to look like you gained 10lbs of muscle is to lose 10lbs of fat."

Great results nonetheless.

grumble

Haha I wouldn't call those typical results, but it's somewhat possible. If you're losing a pound a week by dieting and another pound with 6 hours of hard exercise a week, you'd drop about 20-25 pounds in the program. That's an extreme. The only way you'd gain muscle on that is if you're eating protein, are relatively untrained and are young.

Log4Girlz

Well I posted some result pics in the P90X thread, but I was advised to toss em in here as well.

These are my results from round 1 of P90X. I wasn't expecting to drop into the 140s, but I was trying really hard to push to single digit BF%... which didn't happen. I'm going to do one more round and see if I can do it, and then try to bulk. But being 5'8" and small framed, I think 140s is alright.

7556182682_c17e21e171_b.jpg

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

Wiktor

Just hit my first plateau since I started around the start of May. Lost about 50 lbs so far but this is the first week + period of no weight loss and it is sure confusing. Not sure whats causing it. I suspect its the fact that I bought a box of those Atkins bars and have been eating them when out and about but not sure.

Other culprits could be me eating too little. Or not drinking enough. Going to have to pay more attention to what I am doing. Felt like I was in a good routine but maybe not.

A week isn't long. I would wait at least 3 weeks before I would change anything. There might be nothing wrong with your routine, you might have simply hit a typical and natural plateau and just have to wait it out.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ok, but how much daily time does the P90X require?

Jump over to my handy P90X thread! :p
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459109

P90X is about an hour to an hour and 20 minutes depending on day, 6 days a week. I'm doing Insanity now, which (for month 1) is 40 minutes a day, so a bit better. Goes up to an hour in month 2 though.

They do work though I lost 20 pounds on P90X, then 25 on P90X2. I've lost 4 or 5 on Insanity recently.

Jump over to my handy P90X thread! :p
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459109

P90X is about an hour to an hour and 20 minutes depending on day, 6 days a week. I'm doing Insanity now, which (for month 1) is 40 minutes a day, so a bit better. Goes up to an hour in month 2 though.

They do work though I lost 20 pounds on P90X, then 25 on P90X2. I've lost 4 or 5 on Insanity recently.

I've got to investigate that p90x, seems interesting and legit (according to a lot of users in here). Thanks for the info and the thread!

Trying to loose my fat and bulk a little, but the bulk part is kind of hard.

LaneDS

Tenacious's P90X success is apparently because he was very strict about his diet along with his workouts; most of us in the P90X thread are strict about the workouts and good about our diets, but based on one of Tenacious' posts it is clear he stuck to the diet very carefully, didn't use any crazy supplements, and just plain worked hard. I'd say his results are atypical for 90 days, but more typical if people stick with the program (diet included) for the long haul.

P90x doesn't require a lot of time, but it does require a good amount of space. If you don't have a good living room or good-sized area you're in trouble.

Amazing results if you eat clean, though.

Top Bottom