• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I hear the BodyMedia Fit has better software interfaces than the BodyBugg.

Yea one consistent issue I've read about the bodybugg is the sync to phones and the interface in general. I'm a nerd though so I'm sure I can figure it out. I will definitely look into the BodyMedia device though. It seems to be 50$ more than the Bugg though. That's a substantial amout.

Zoe

Yea one consistent issue I've read about the bodybugg is the sync to phones and the interface in general. I'm a nerd though so I'm sure I can figure it out. I will definitely look into the BodyMedia device though. It seems to be 50$ more than the Bugg though. That's a substantial amout.

From what I'm reading, it's not that BodyBugg is harder to use--it's just really shitty. The hardware is the same, but 24 Hour Fitness made their own software.

Tashi

From what I'm reading, it's not that BodyBugg is harder to use--it's just really shitty. The hardware is the same, but 24 Hour Fitness made their own software.

Oh really same hardware? That's cool. I should just gather the data and write my own software o_O

Ixian

I used a BodyMedia device for a while -- up until last week, in fact -- and it was neat, but after a while you get a feel for things and so I finally canceled my monthly sub because it was basically telling me something I already knew at that point. If you like data as a motivational tool then I'd definitely recommend getting one, otherwise if you do the same things day in and day out it might not be worth the investment if you're going to cancel the monthly sub after a short period of time.

Edit: If you don't mind using the dotFit service for getting the data, I'd be willing to part with mine for pretty cheap.

Gibbo

First post in this thread. Was about 65 Kgs (I'm 1.8 meters tall) about 2 years ago - but stress at work has caused me to put on an additional 10kgs since then. I'm a pretty active person who runs about 34km in total a week - on top of a single 40laps swim.

I've never been able to lose much of my weight- primarily due to my diet. I love my fried food. So just a week ago - I decided to stop eating fast food for at least 6 months.

I'm thinking of just going on cold cut + veg diet. Made this sandwich/burger yesterday which I plan to bring as lunch and dinner to work

This consists of
1 Burger Bun, 2 thin slices of Breakfast ham, Honey Mustard sauce (very minimal), Steamed mixed vege.

Is there anything potentially flawed with this diet?

X9slxl.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
First post in this thread. Was about 65 Kgs (I'm 1.8 meters tall) about 2 years ago - but stress at work has caused me to put on an additional 10kgs since then. I'm a pretty active person who runs about 34km in total a week - on top of a single 40laps swim.

I've never been able to lose much of my weight- primarily due to my diet. I love my fried food. So just a week ago - I decided to stop eating fast food for at least 6 months.

I'm thinking of just going on cold cut + veg diet. Made this sandwich/burger yesterday which I plan to bring as lunch and dinner to work

This consists of
1 Burger Bun, 2 thin slices of Breakfast ham, Honey Mustard sauce (very minimal), Steamed mixed vege.

Sound pretty garbage, honestly. It's going to be horribly unfulfilling.

Don't eat bread if you're looking to lose weight.

This consists of

If you subscribe to low-carb, then the buns are a big no-no. The ham may also not be enough protein / not satisfying in the long term. I know not everyone is interested in low carb and many people have found other ways to lose weight, but I'm not knowledgable enough to comment on those alternatives.

Tashi

I used a BodyMedia device for a while -- up until last week, in fact -- and it was neat, but after a while you get a feel for things and so I finally canceled my monthly sub because it was basically telling me something I already knew at that point. If you like data as a motivational tool then I'd definitely recommend getting one, otherwise if you do the same things day in and day out it might not be worth the investment if you're going to cancel the monthly sub after a short period of time.

Edit: If you don't mind using the dotFit service for getting the data, I'd be willing to part with mine for pretty cheap.

Which one do you have? How cheap? (PM me if you like) Is it the one with Blue Tooth or do I have to sync it to a PC everyday? I would honestly like to have the one where I can see my calories burned at any point in the day.

Also, after checking out the BodyMedia one, it's 100$ more than the BodyBugg and you get only 3 months free. That's leaning me heavily towards the BodyBugg.

This consists of

X9slxl.jpg

Are you going to eat this way for the rest of your life or are you going back on fried foods?

Your activity level is about 4000 calories burned extra compared to if you didn't run or swim per week. That is about 600 calories a day. If you are still gaining fat (do you know what your body fat percentage is?) then you are slightly over eating.

Your weight gain is around 5 kilos per year, not all of it is fat but even if it was 6 kilos fat and two kilos muscle plus maybe two kilos for compacted food and water bloating that is about three kilos per year of pure fat or around 27,000 calories a year. Your daily average fat gain is probably around is about 74 calories or about 8 grams of fat a day extra for two years. your weight gain does not look like much if you look at it this way.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Your activity level is about 4000 calories burned extra compared to if you didn't run or swim per week. That is about 600 calories a day. If you are still gaining fat (do you know what your body fat percentage is?) then you are slightly over eating.

Your weight gain is around 5 kilos per year, not all of it is fat but even if it was 6 kilos fat and two kilos muscle plus maybe two kilos for compacted food and water bloating that is about three kilos per year of pure fat or around 27,000 calories a year. Your daily average fat gain is probably around is about 74 calories or about 8 grams of fat a day extra for two years. your weight gain does not look like much if you look at it this way.

You've got to be joking. This is the most ridiculous shit...

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Well guys, last time I jumped on a scale was about 3 or 4 years ago and it read 347 lbs. I'd been roughly that size since I was in my late teens (I'm about to turn 33).

As I got home from work tonight I jumped on my mother's old scale and it said 295 lbs. Now, it's a shitty old scale but I made sure it was zeroed and that I wasn't wearing any clothes to mess with the reading.

I'm just hoping the reading was accurate as I can't recall a time I was less than 300. Hell, I weighed 198 in eighth grade. It seems silly be excited that I'm STILL an almost 300 lb fatass, but if that scale was right then at least I know all this effort has been working.

First order of business is to buy a proper scale. I broke one as a teen so I always just assumed they didn't make them go up that high for home units, but I see amazon sells some that go up to 440, so I've gotta confirm what the old scale said ASAP.

Well guys, last time I jumped on a scale was about 3 or 4 years ago and it read 347 lbs. I'd been roughly that size since I was in my late teens (I'm about to turn 33).

As I got home from work tonight I jumped on my mother's old scale and it said 295 lbs. Now, it's a shitty old scale but I made sure it was zeroed and that I wasn't wearing any clothes to mess with the reading.

I'm just hoping the reading was accurate as I can't recall a time I was less than 300. Hell, I weighed 198 in eighth grade. It seems silly be excited that I'm STILL an almost 300 lb fatass, but if that scale was right then at least I know all this effort has been working.

First order of business is to buy a proper scale. I broke one as a teen so I always just assumed they didn't make them go up that high for home units, but I see amazon sells some that go up to 440, so I've gotta confirm what the old scale said ASAP.

It's not silly at all, man. I'm still an obese fat-ass compared to most people, but when I find myself dropping below certain numbers it's definitely very encouraging.

TheFatOne

All my clothes are way to big on me so I decided to buy some cheap t-shirts and jeans at Walmart. The 2xls were one dollar more than the xl so I decided to try on an XL tee. Now I feel like a million bucks. I went from a size 3xl/4xl to just a regular xl, and I went from size 44 pants to 38. Over the last year I have lost 100lbs (323-223). My goal is 170, but right now I feel pretty damn good about where I'm at.

Fuck yeah, I am down to 165 from 170 after 6 days of semi-intense exercise. 170 was the fattest I've ever been (I am 5'9"), and I've never had any problem at all losing weight when I want to, but this is the fastest I've ever lost weight. So nice.

So far my diet has consisted of:

Breakfast:
Oatmeal mix with no-fat/no sugar Greek yogurt
1 banana
1 glass of skim milk

Or

Bacon and Eggs
Skim Milk

Lunch:

Chicken salad
Protein Shake (with fruit mixed in)

Dinner:

Baked, skinless Chicken
Lots of veggies

That, with a half of a granola bar in between meals to snack on.

This along with my 1 and a half to 2 hour workouts every morning has been making me feel A LOT better.

Piecake

Fuck yeah, I am down to 165 from 170 after 6 days of semi-intense exercise. 170 was the fattest I've ever been (I am 5'9"), and I've never had any problem at all losing weight when I want to, but this is the fastest I've ever lost weight. So nice.

So far my diet has consisted of:

Breakfast:
Oatmeal mix with no-fat/no sugar Greek yogurt
1 banana
1 glass of skim milk

Or

Bacon and Eggs
Skim Milk

Lunch:

Chicken salad
Protein Shake (with fruit mixed in)

Dinner:

Baked, skinless Chicken
Lots of veggies

That, with a half of a granola bar in between meals to snack on.

This along with my 1 and a half to 2 hour workouts every morning has been making me feel A LOT better.

Youd feel even better getting rid of that oatmeal and granola bars. Just snack on some almonds or some fruit instead.

It seriously is quite amazing how much better I feel after getting rid of grain, and on the odd occasion that I do ahve grain now it just wrecks my stomach. Not a pleasant feeling

Youd feel even better getting rid of that oatmeal and granola bars. Just snack on some almonds or some fruit instead.

It seriously is quite amazing how much better I feel after getting rid of grain, and on the odd occasion that I do ahve grain now it just wrecks my stomach. Not a pleasant feeling

I know. I just want a little bit of carbs in my diet since I want to get ready for the longhaul of muscle gaining in two months. So I want to get a routine going in preparation for that. And since I barely have any money at the moment, I am just surviving off from what I have in the house right now. Which is A LOT of oatmeal and granola bars, hahaha.

When I start my new job in a couple of weeks, I plan on swapping out some of this for other foods.

I know. I just want a little bit of carbs in my diet since I want to get ready for the longhaul of muscle gaining in two months. So I want to get a routine going in preparation for that. And since I barely have any money at the moment, I am just surviving off from what I have in the house right now. Which is A LOT of oatmeal and granola bars, hahaha.

When I start my new job in a couple of weeks, I plan on swapping out some of this for other foods.

"Preparing" for the muscle gain in a few months doesn't make sense.

Not having money, that I can understand, though. :)

mooooose

Friday I had mozzarella sticks. Yesterday I got drunk as shit. Today I'm eating penne alla vodka. I'm down about 14 pounds but I don't think I'll lose weight this week. YOLO.

Tashi

Friday I had mozzarella sticks. Yesterday I got drunk as shit. Today I'm eating penne alla vodka. I'm down about 14 pounds but I don't think I'll lose weight this week. YOLO.

Nah you'll be good. Just make up for it with some intense exercise and strict dieting.

So here's a list of last night's cheat meal.

(1) 6inch sub with 1/2lb peppered turkey + american cheese
(1) 6inch sub with 1/2lb roast beef + american cheese
(2) Donuts from Dunkin Donuts. (Chocolate frosted + Double chocolate glazed)
(1) bag of skittles
(1) medium tub of Hagen Das ice cream (Caramel Cone)
(2) huge cups of diet sunkist
(1/2) large bag of Lay classic potato chips.

edit: Actually, looking at those subs they look closer to 8-10 inches and not 6 lol

Hc7M9.jpg

Not pictured is most of the other stuff.

It was damn good. Only up about 2-3 lbs today which is very very low compared to previous cheat meals. It was pretty expensive for all this stuff but I really want to do it next week too.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
All my clothes are way to big on me so I decided to buy some cheap t-shirts and jeans at Walmart. The 2xls were one dollar more than the xl so I decided to try on an XL tee. Now I feel like a million bucks. I went from a size 3xl/4xl to just a regular xl, and I went from size 44 pants to 38. Over the last year I have lost 100lbs (323-223). My goal is 170, but right now I feel pretty damn good about where I'm at.

That's awesome, dude. Being able to buy normal people clothes is gonna be really awesome, so I'm totally excited to hear your experience.

For the longest time I was wearing 3x shirts and size 52 pants. There was one store in town that sold pants in my size, and I don't need to tell you how limited and plain old fugly the selection was.

It seems ridiculous to be excited about buying clothes at Walmart, but when I could go in there and buy a 2x shirt and size 48 pants it was simply amazing.

Keep up the great work and before ya' know it you'll need a new account name :p

Nah you'll be good. Just make up for it with some intense exercise and strict dieting.

(1) bag of skittles

edit: Actually, looking at those subs they look closer to 8-10 inches and not 6 lol

Hc7M9.jpg

It was damn good. Only up about 2-3 lbs today which is very very low compared to previous cheat meals. It was pretty expensive for all this stuff but I really want to do it next week too.

Holy hell, that's like a week's worth of cheat meal for me, hahaha.

I am allowing myself a cheat meal once a week (have been since I started running regularly a few weeks ago), and the most I've eaten were a few french fries and a couple of fried chicken tenders.

Oh well, I have a tiny as shit stomach, so I can't hold nearly as much food as other people.

OG Kush

Not ncessarily... I like a lot of other people are getting tired of the constant "carbs are evil" dogma going on this thread. The guy even said he's doing 1 to 2 hours exercise everyday. You personally may not be able to digest grain properly but that doesn't mean everyone else can't.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not ncessarily... I like a lot of other people are getting tired of the constant "carbs are evil" dogma going on this thread. The guy even said he's doing 1 to 2 hours exercise everyday. You personally may not be able to digest grain properly but that doesn't mean everyone else can't.

I think a lot of people would be very surprised how they feel if they dropped grains completely. I was skeptical at first, too, but the difference is pretty amazing. The side affect, obviously, is that you'll feel like shit whenever you decide to partake in some wheat-product or whatever after being off them for a long time.

OG Kush

I think a lot of people would be very surprised how they feel if they dropped grains completely. I was skeptical at first, too, but the difference is pretty amazing. The side affect, obviously, is that you'll feel like shit whenever you decide to partake in some wheat-product or whatever after being off them for a long time.

Trust me I wish i could go Paleo if I could afford it. I too was on a keto diet before, but as I live with my parents and have a pretty intense training schedule I've decided recently to up my carbs and my fat loss actually sped up, as I wasn't getting enough calories on keto. All I'm trying to say is there are many different ways to facilitate fat loss and low-carb is not for everyone.

Piecake

(1) bag of skittles

Hc7M9.jpg

I honestly think that would make me barf

Einbroch

Banned

(1) bag of skittles

Hc7M9.jpg

After a cheat meal like that I would fart and crap like crazy. Now my cheat meals involve maybe getting 6 pieces of sushi or a couple buns with my brats.

Now seems like a good time to join in on this thread. I've been dieting and trying to live healthier since the end of february and as of today I've lost 30 pounds, down from my peak of about 260.

Revoh

Gonna start low carb tomorrow again. I've been eating like shit since january and gained 11 lbs. I dropped a ton of weight last year so hopefully this should be easy enough

(1) bag of skittles

Hc7M9.jpg

Lose the chips and I would be all over that haha.

Einbroch

Banned
Gonna start low carb tomorrow again. I've been eating like shit since january and gained 11 lbs. I dropped a ton of weight last year so hopefully this should be easy enough

Good luck! Same thing happened with me. Lost 70 pounds, fell off, went back up 20, now I'm back down 25 more. Chug along, friend.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I like the idea of a cheat meal, but your cheat meal, Tashi, seems like it reverses a week's worth of effort.

Going low carb and eating real food only to reverse that progress by stuffing yourself with HFCS, trans fat, and wheat just seems like a poor choice, imo.

But if it's helping you lose weight every week and weight is the only thing on your mind, by all means keep doing it.

Blondie

Neo Member
Humor me, if you all will, as there are several things upon reading back a few pages that I wanted to comment on. I may not be able to reply for a bit, since I don't have a constant internet connection anymore, so I'll have to put it all in one big blog-like post. I apologize in advance...

1. Echoing another poster, I really wish this thread had a FAQ, because I notice over and over again some of the same misinformation and CICO nonsense being repeated, even from some low carbers themselves (which is disheartening), that has long been answered and debunked since way back when Tehpwn used to frequent the thread. The alternative hypothesis requires a paradigm shift in thinking about weight gain/loss/nutrition/and exercise. Calories as a measurement of energy is an extremely poor and rough model. Your body has way too much in play to believe that it breaks down macronutrients like a calorimeter. Trying to count them for weight loss or exercise is ridiculous as there's no way to be accurate, especially when you consider that 9/4/4 are already rough estimates for f/p/c when for ex. one type of fat can be 9.4 and another can be 8.6 calories, and on down the line and across the board.

2. Suppression of FoxO1 Activity by Long-Chain Fatty Acyl Analogs

"CONCLUSIONS Suppression of FoxO1 activity by MEDICA analogs may partly account for their antidiabetic anti-inflammatory efficacy. FoxO1 suppression by LCFA analogs may provide a molecular rational for the beneficial efficacy of carbohydrate-restricted ketogenic diets in treating diabetes...The insulin-mimetic effects of MEDICA analogs in suppressing FoxO1 activity, combined with the previously reported efficacy of MEDICA analogs in treating insulin resistance, hyperglycemia, diabetic dyslipidemia, and the macrovascular disease of diabesity animal models (17–22), suggest the intriguing possibility that endogenous free LCFA might simulate the antidiabetic insulin-like effects of MEDICA analogs, if allowed to reach high enough intracellular concentrations while avoiding their esterification into downstream lipotoxic products by abrogating the induction of glycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferases (GPAT) by insulin (reviewed in [50]) and by limiting the availability of glycerol-3-phpsphate. Hence, FoxO1 suppression by MEDICA analogs may offer a molecular rationale for the surprising efficacy of carbohydrate-restricted diets in alleviating diabetes (13–15) and may point to the prospects of synthetic substituted LCFA in treating diabetes. "

This is just one study, there are ton more out there, but it's clear keto helps so many diseases and conditions from diabetes, to Alzheimer's, to multiple sclerosis, to epilepsy, etc. It is our healthiest and most natural state of being, and low carb paleo/primal eating/living is the obvious way to go. Not just for weight-loss, which I think is what is really lost on those who are resistant to keto or outright anti-keto, but for overall health and longevity. I find it hilarious that we are the ones spouting "dogma" when the SAD diet and all its ill effects have proven themselves ten times the world over, and CICO has failed so many; while keto and low carb has been around forever, since it was the way we ate, has been quite successful, and doesn't benefit big pharma, big argi-business, the health insurance industry, and many other industries with motives (profits) well above your well being. I find it funny that the default (CICO/SAD), nor matter how destructive and illogical, is the go to and "proven", while keto/low carb is the "dogma" and low carbers are the "nutters".

3. Someone mentioned white rice being A-OK earlier in the thread because it didn't have gluten and was low on the GI scale, well so what? Lots of low GI foods aren't good for you, like HFCS, they do damage down the line when converted to blood sugar. Just because you don't get an immediate spike doesn't mean there's no harm. No starch is "safe", an oxymoron which even Paul Jaminet concedes is not for the metabolically damaged. It all turns to sugar in the end and increasing AGEs is never a good thing: "when binding AGEs, contributes to age- and diabetes-related chronic inflammatory diseases such as atherosclerosis, asthma, arthritis, myocardial infarction, nephropathy, retinopathy, periodontitis and neuropathy."

I know for me personally I stayed fat consuming a more paleo high carb diet rich in white rice, plantains, yuca, and the like eating my traditional Floribbean diet. I had IBS-D for 15 years and it wasn't cured until I went keto primal. Low GI starches affect ppl down the line and can exacerbate gut flora, big time, like it does for me and many others.

4. I also wanted to chime in that for all those who support carb ups and eating more carbs for exercise to please checkout Dr. Volek & Dr. Phinney's The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance and how it debunks carbs as necessary for exercise, refueling glycogen stores, etc. When you are properly keto-adapted, by making sure to moderate your protein intake, you don't need glucose for anything other than the 10-20% you brain requires for energy it cannot get from ketone bodies. That 10-20% of glucose the brain can easily get from triglycerides as Dr. Rosedale says:

"The brain needing 20% glucose is only under conditions of insufficient adaptation to burning ketones. Basic metabolic textbooks talk about adaptation to carbohydrate “starvation” when the brain starts deriving the vast majority of its energy needs from ketones derived from fat metabolism. After several weeks of adaptation the brain can derive at least 80% of its energy needs from ketones. After a longer period of time it can derive more. Regardless, the remainder of the brain’s energy needs can be met from gluconeogenesis using glycerol derived from the breakdown of triglycerides as substrate such that gluconeogenesis derived from amino acids is minimal to nonexistent, sparing lean mass"

And as Dr. Phinney states:

"Clearly some carbohydrate foods raise blood glucose more than others, which is the basis for both the ‘glycemic index’ and presumably the ‘safe starches’ concepts. In part, how fast your body absorbs the carbohydrates you eat influences how these energy sources are processed.

The other half of this picture is how promptly your body can ‘tuck away’ the absorbed carbohydrate, which passes through the blood stream mostly as glucose (which means you need both adequate insulin in the blood and insulin sensitive cells to clear it).

Insulin resistance (the hallmark of both metabolic syndrome and type-2 diabetes) occurs to a varying degree in many of us. Thus the more insulin resistant we are, the less tolerant we are of dietary carbohydrate from the different dietary sources (i.e., one persons ‘safe starch’ may far exceed the carbohydrate tolerance of someone else who is more insulin resistant). Many people with type-2 diabetes go into complete remission when they eat less than 50 grams per day of total carbohydrate, but remain diabetic if they eat 100-150 grams (400-600 Calories) of carbohydrate (independent of what grain or tuber it comes from).

There is no absolute human requirement for dietary carbohydrate. In our many published studies of human research subjects given well-formulated very low carbohydrate diets (e.g., 5-50 grams of total carbohydrate per day), we never observed low blood sugar levels. In fact, in my 1983 study of bicycle racers eating an Inuit diet, even when we exercised them to exhaustion, their blood glucose values remained normal. Simply put, if the body maintains a normal blood glucose level with little or no carbohydrate sources in the diet, how can one argue that they are required?

If the level of glucose during a well-formulated very low carbohydrate diet is maintained in the normal range, how can one credibly postulate inadequate glucose availability for glycosylation?"

5. Tying in the safe starch issue with carb ups and other stuff that's had the paleosphere drowning in mashed potatoes lately is this interesting tidbit I wanted to pass along: "Somehow something happened where the #1 founder and popularizer of the Paleo movement on the internet got ignored, Art De Vany, and so his theories on being in low glucose states for mitochondrial biogenesis, down regulation of mSTOR, down regulation of IGF-1, fat burning, catecholamine increase, etc -- Are all ignored. All of those points are ignored/forgotten in the Paleo community! From a guy who's 73 and just gave a talk at the Zurichminds conference and still was standing like a greek God with his full mental function in-tact -- There's a lot of things he's doing like weight training and sprints, but he started his diet because he wanted to stay in a low glucose state and to this day a huge part of his website and diet method is to keep the glucose levels low most of the time."

6. On the issue on cheat meals, I get why some people do them but at this stage in my weight loss (148 lbs overall) food quality & ketosis has become such a lifestyle for me that when I see SAD food I don't even consider it food, I consider it garbage. The food I eat is so nutritionally dense and delicious, and knowing now what I know, why would I even want to cheat?

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast after an 18 hr fast (I do IF):
2 large eggs fried in butter and doused with black pepper and Goya adobo with bitter orange seasoning.
2 slices of thick cut Safeway bacon.
1 cup of home made mocha:
Cuban coffee "Café Oquendo" brand, Hershey's unsweetened dark cocoa powder, Silk brand unsweetened vanilla almond milk, alcohol free stevia glycerite extract
1 glass of water

Lunch:
1/2 a can of El Mexicano Sardines in tomato sauce &
1 giant salad bowl consisting of:
Baby Spinach as the base with slices of:
Jicama
Daikon Radish
Turnip
Beets
Rutabaga
Green Onions
Shitaki Mushrooms
Cucumber
Tomato
Green Olives
Green Bell Pepper
and topped with feta cheese, salt, black pepper, lots of pure extra virgin coconut oil, and lil bit of sriracha sauce for a nice kick.
1 glass of water.

Dinner:
Home made Vietnamese-like hot pot.
Seasoning: Chinese 5 spice seasoning, sugar free chili paste, white pepper, black pepper, salt, touch of soy sauce.
Broth: made from pork neck bones, beef leg bones, and chicken leg bones.
Meats: pork kidney, beef liver, beef honeycomb tripe, beef tendon, chicken drumsticks.
Veggies: Baby Bok Choy, Large Bok Choy, Green onions, Shitaki mushrooms, Enoki mushrooms, celery, mung bean sprouts.
1 glass of water to drink.

This hot pot will last me for awhile as it made a ton! And I've also got some nice salmon steak waiting to be grilled for tomorrow that I'm absolutely looking forward to making a butter & dijon mustard sauce for! When you eat like this almost everyday why cheat?! BTW for those wondering, all the veggies are low carb veggies, high in fiber, in which they are catabolized as fat in the colon, so very little glucose intake from them.

Lastly, I can't tell you how important getting enough vitamin D is to your physical health and psyche. I've been sun bathing more as of late, and let me tell you, I feel so energized after a hour or two of it! I end up running uphill afterwards just for shits and giggles! I try to take advantage of every little bit of it up here in the PNW, so it's why I absolutely loath anything concerning gym work, it feels like being in a zoo. I hate being indoors working out when I could be outside, in nature, enjoying the sun, the air, the trees, the views, etc. I kinda like the ideas behind Erwan Le Corre's MovNat program even though I have no interest in paying to attend a workshop...

SeanR1221

Another weigh in, another wash. I actually gained a pound this week.

Going to try and do HIIT instead of my usual cardio 3 days a week and see if that does anything. It's unbelievably frustrating to eat clean, keep all your lifts at the same weight, add in cardio 3 times a week and not watch the scale move.

CrankyJay

Banned
Man, broke thru to 189 but I had a scheduled week off for rest and my brother's wedding...I ended up putting on a few pounds (hopefully mostly water weight), but I'm 193 now after a week of eating like shit and drinking.

Back to my routine tho. Would love to get back to 189 in the next week or two.

Another weigh in, another wash. I actually gained a pound this week.

Going to try and do HIIT instead of my usual cardio 3 days a week and see if that does anything. It's unbelievably frustrating to eat clean, keep all your lifts at the same weight, add in cardio 3 times a week and not watch the scale move.

If youre lifting too it could be offsetting the fat you lost. my weight was hovering at the same level but I could definitely feel a difference in how I wore my clothes.

Weighed my self yesterday and I finally broke the 170 lb barrier, I'm now 168.4 lbs, down from 200+ 3 months ago, for the first time since college. 8.4 lbs until I hit my initial goal but I may keep going if my stubborn gut doesn't go away. In the last few weeks my weight loss as slowed significantly but, luckily, I have yet to not lose at least a little weight every week.

SeanR1221

If youre lifting too it could be offsetting the fat you lost. my weight was hovering at the same level but I could definitely feel a difference in how I wore my clothes.

I've thought about it but I don't want to over estimate that, you know?

Fact is I started my cut at 186 at the end of may and I'm 184 now. Lowest I got was 183. Starting this cut I wanted to be 170 by the end of september. That's literally not going to happen now.

I must be the only guy in here to not see weight loss on keto.

OG Kush

Fact is I started my cut at 186 at the end of may and I'm 184 now. Lowest I got was 183. Starting this cut I wanted to be 170 by the end of september. That's literally not going to happen now.

If keto isn't working switch it up for a couple of weeks, add some carbs post workout and have a fruit or 2 throughout the day and see how it goes for a couple of weeks.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hey guys, just a quick update.

I wanted to wait to post again until my friend sent me the photos, but well, he's a little technologically challenged; let's just say he keeps all his photos on the SD card and when it's full he just goes to buy another.

Anyways, recap:

Starting point was 140 Kg (308 pounds).

After the doctor told me to lose weight, I went on vacation for two weeks. Not so serious dieting, tons of excercise: lost 4 Kg (8.8 pounds).

After two weeks of serious dieting and light exercise (had some physical issues after vacation, doctor told me to be more careful) I stand now at 130 Kg (286.6 pounds).

In a nutshell, 4 weeks later I am 10 Kg (22 pounds) lighter.

These two weeks have been excruciating - I love food too much and my body still hasn't adapted to a more normal eating experience. AKA, hunger. It has been hard being around good food, I have to say. Grocery store not so much but social/work occasions involving food have been tough.

And I did cheat twice, once per week. I figure that's OK. Honestly I planned to wait until I lost a little more weight, but I couldn't wait.

Ah, good news... my BMI sits at 40.01 now so I will soon no longer be morbidly obese.

edit: i forgot important information... this is a hipocaloric diet. I don't do keto diets (doctor advised me against it).

Ixian

A year ago I took a weekend and read every post in this thread, and I can tell you that this isn't true. :)

Personally at a certain point I found my progress stalling both in terms of weight loss and strength gains while doing low carb on P90X; I introduced carbs back into my diet and numbers in both areas started improving again. This week is my last week of P90X and then I'm going to start doing the "big three" (squats/deadlifts/bench pressing) and I plan on keeping a lot of carbs in on my workout days.

CrankyJay

Banned
And I did cheat twice, once per week. I figure that's OK. Honestly I planned to wait until I lost a little more weight, but I couldn't wait.

I normally cheat once a week...I wouldn't worry about it.

As long as the bulk of your meals throughout the week are well thought-out food choices and you are exercising I think you will be okay.

I think a cheat can help prevent a binge in a moment of weakness.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

You're doing SL5x5 + Cardio/HIIT + Ketogenic Dieting?

I'm continuing my weight loss, but I've completely switched over to lifting (Convinct Conditioning) + LeanGains dieting (carb cycling + active macro monitoring) and have been seeing slow and steady weight loss, plus increases in my lifts.

LeanGains style of eating is nice because you get to feel like you're cheating 3 times a week, you still get to lift heavy, and you still lose weight! You were doing LG at some point, weren't you?

Tashi

I like the idea of a cheat meal, but your cheat meal, Tashi, seems like it reverses a week's worth of effort.

Going low carb and eating real food only to reverse that progress by stuffing yourself with HFCS, trans fat, and wheat just seems like a poor choice, imo.

But if it's helping you lose weight every week and weight is the only thing on your mind, by all means keep doing it.

I see where you're coming from but if you compare my once a week intake of HFCS, trans fat and wheat (or whatever I cheat on for that one meal) I would say that it's extremely low compared what I was eating before on a day to day basis. I had no filter before this diet. Last year for lunch, for work, I had a huge turkey sandwich with a bag of chips and gatorade 5/7 days a week. I ate whatever I felt like. Clearly, this isn't a lifestyle I want to maintain for the rest of my life but for the time being, it's been working for me.

In 2 weeks though, I will be off the Keto diet. I will be hitting the weights hard, bulking up and doing some serious calorie counting. I wanna lose 5lbs in 2 weeks just to finish off the diet and that will put me at 233. After that, I'm hiding the scale and only going by the mirror. Pretty excited for that.

Top Bottom