• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

LaneDS

I'd think I would have lost a lot more weight.

I never used to have consistent physical activity. I used to always eat until I was full, had snacks all the time, and not just an apple or something, like chips or poptarts.

For like 2 months I've been eating less, never snacking, only eating when hungry. And I've been doing some cardio with some minor weight stuff. Going like 2-3 miles on the treadmill on average 3 times per week.

only seem to have gone down like 4 pounds.

You'll need to post more details. How old are you? How much do you weigh now, and how tall are you? What does your diet include? How long are you on the treadmill? If you provide more details, I'm guessing the thread can post suggestions as to why your weight loss is disappointing you.

Tawpgun

You'll need to post more details. How old are you? How much do you weigh now, and how tall are you? What does your diet include? How long are you on the treadmill? If you provide more details, I'm guessing the thread can post suggestions as to why your weight loss is disappointing you.
19, 186, 5'10.

Im at the mercy of my families cooking right now. Breakfast is typically a small bowl of cereal. Sometimes my mom makes pancakes like today. No more milk for cereal. Eggs on occasion too.

I get packed a hugeass lunch but only eat the sandwich and a snack.

Dinner is usually some meat, potatoes, and salad. Sometimes its this pancake like "wrap" with apple sauce inside. Its a polish food. Pasta on rare occasions. I never eat as much as I used to.

Im on the treadmill for about 30 min. Then go on the machines. Mostly abs and chest/arms.

As soon as school starts I'll have more freedom of choice, but at the same time I'll be drinking on weekends and free time might be affected.

Petrie

Banned
19, 186, 5'10.

Im at the mercy of my families cooking right now. Breakfast is typically a small bowl of cereal. Sometimes my mom makes pancakes like today. No more milk for cereal. Eggs on occasion too.

Dinner is usually some meat, potatoes, and salad. Sometimes its this pancake like "wrap" with apple sauce inside. Its a polish food. Pasta on rare occasions. I never eat as much as I used to.

Im on the treadmill for about 30 min. Then go on the machines. Mostly abs and chest/arms.

As soon as school starts I'll have more freedom of choice, but at the same time I'll be drinking on weekends and free time might be affected.

You're going to have to prioritize, especially with drinking on weekends, youth can very easily ruin weeks of progress in one weekend of drinking. It still sounds like you're eating more bad stuff than you should, and I'd hope your family would be willing to support you in your goals and make healthier options, but if not, you need to do what's right for you.

As always I'd recommend hitting the fitness thread as well and getting a real weight program, as what you're doing currently there isn't going to accomplish much.

healthier options.

dralla

19, 186, 5'10.

I'm not sure what kind of income you have, but eggs are really cheap, really healthy, easy to cook in a lot of ways, I would load up on those if you can.

Speaking of eggs, I made "philly cheese steak eggs" this morning. basically satued pepper, onions, mushrooms, spinach in grass fed butter [seriously, this is friggin awesome, everyone should try it], then add in 4 eggs, season with salt/pepper/whatever, add some grated cheese on top, wait for it to melt, enjoy! You could also add some steak umms to it, or roast beef, I just didn't have anyway.

I've also been eating way too many carrots, my hands have started to turn yellow, I've stopped buying them, but I sure do miss them. I'm gonna give it 2 weeks and see how it goes.

CrankyJay

Banned
You're going to have to prioritize, especially with drinking on weekends, youth can very easily ruin weeks of progress in one weekend of drinking. It still sounds like you're eating more bad stuff than you should, and I'd hope your family would be willing to support you in your goals and make healthier options, but if not, you need to do what's right for you.

As always I'd recommend hitting the fitness thread as well and getting a real weight program, as what you're doing currently there isn't going to accomplish much.

healthier options.

Not sure a weekend would erase weeks...maybe a week (unless you meant week's).

Petrie

Banned
Not sure a weekend would erase weeks...maybe a week (unless you meant week's).

I meant plural. I'm not saying it will happen, but a weekend worth of college partying, binge drinking, and disgusting fried food, can easily ruin multiple weeks worth of a caloric deficit. Hit Rochester, drink a few cases of beer, tons of shots, have multiple garbage plates, and boom, you've undone 7000 calories worth of deficit easily without even touching your regular meals.

CrankyJay

Banned
I meant plural. I'm not saying it will happen, but a weekend worth of college partying, binge drinking, and disgusting fried food, can easily ruin multiple weeks worth of a caloric deficit. Hit Rochester, drink a few cases of beer, tons of shots, have multiple garbage plates, and boom, you've undone 7000 calories worth of deficit easily without even touching your regular meals.

Damn, multiple plates? lol

I went to Geneseo (yes, I did make the occasional drive up to Rochester to get a plate)...was usually 2 slices of Mama Mia's with a cup of blue cheese to dip into. Then again, while I was there I worked out, ran, and walked everywhere in town (didn't have a car). So that helped a lot I guess.

But yeah...7000 could be a week or 2 depending on the deficit you're running.

Petrie

Banned

I went to Geneseo (yes, I did make the occasional drive up to Rochester to get a plate)...was usually 2 slices of Mama Mia's with a cup of blue cheese to dip into. Then again, while I was there I worked out, ran, and walked everywhere in town (didn't have a car). So that helped a lot I guess.

Well, I meant multiple plates over a weekend. Most college kids don't drink on just 1 day of their weekend.

Man, I sure could go for a garbage plate now though.

Bottom line though, just prioritize. Decide if that night out drinking is worth that week of progress you've made.

CrankyJay

Banned
Well, I meant multiple plates over a weekend. Most college kids don't drink on just 1 day of their weekend.

Man, I sure could go for a garbage plate now though.

Bottom line though, just prioritize. Decide if that night out drinking is worth that week of progress you've made.

Yeah, my weekend of drinking was Thursday/Friday/Saturday...luckily most college kids have insane metabolisms anyway, but sure, I packed on 15 pounds easily in college.

Petrie

Banned
Yeah, my weekend of drinking was Thursday/Friday/Saturday...luckily most college kids have insane metabolisms anyway, but sure, I packed on 15 pounds easily in college.

Agreed, but those trying to lose weight actively at that age, aren't those blessed with the insane metabolism.

Tawpgun

I don't drink THAT heavily. Its either drink heavily one day and not at all/not that much. Or do casual drinking on both days.

I don't think I have the time for a serious weight program. Gonna be mainly running and eating better. I hope to get down to 180-185 by September. Im at 186 now.

OG Kush

well 1 pound of fat is 7000 calories, so depending on how much of a calorie deficit you are, and how much you actually cheat is what makes the key.

mooooose

Hey I went to geneseo too! What year were you?

Ugh hitting a major wall of food fatigue right now. Tired of eggs, tired of almonds, tired of chicken, even tired of Bacon and Sausage. Thinking I may take a week off when school starts and just eat whatever I want (still under my BMR calorie wise though).

Going insane.

Mobius 1

Went hiking up around Mount Rainier up here in the Pacific Northwest over the weekend. The weather was AMAZING. Perfect day to be up on the mountain.

8 months ago this would likely have been outside the realm of possibility. Also, hopped on the scale this morning at the gym and noticed that I'm down exactly 90lbs since the end of January. The century mark is squarely in my sights now.

What did you do to accomplish this? Fantastic work.

Ugh hitting a major wall of food fatigue right now. Tired of eggs, tired of almonds, tired of chicken, even tired of Bacon and Sausage. Thinking I may take a week off when school starts and just eat whatever I want (still under my BMR calorie wise though).

Going insane.

Nothing wrong with enjoying some time off. Everyone needs it, keeps you sane.

So I'm almost about to break through that 70kg (179cm) barrier (can't find the weightloss challenge thread :p), but I'm definitely feelings things slow down, which is a shame.

dralla

Going insane.

Do you prepare your food the same way every day? Try mixing it up, especially with eggs, they're so versatile and you can get so much out of them with different dishes. And what about adding more things? Full Fat greek yogurt, more types of meat, big ass salads, more veggies, fruit, ect

Do you prepare your food the same way every day? Try mixing it up, especially with eggs, they're so versatile and you can get so much out of them with different dishes. And what about adding more things? Full Fat greek yogurt, more types of meat, big ass salads, more veggies, fruit, ect

Eh I can mix the veggies and stuff up but I am on an extremely low carb diet. 20g or less. So a lot of non green veggies, most fruits, and things like Greek Yogurt are out. Going to take my week off as the semester starts then reevaluate. May need to increase my carb allotments to be able to mix things up but I am hesitant to do so because I have had such incredible results doing what I am doing.

OG Kush

Eh I can mix the veggies and stuff up but I am on an extremely low carb diet. 20g or less. So a lot of non green veggies, most fruits, and things like Greek Yogurt are out. Going to take my week off as the semester starts then reevaluate. May need to increase my carb allotments to be able to mix things up but I am hesitant to do so because I have had such incredible results doing what I am doing.

Theres so much fibre in those veggies I really doubt they're going to impact your weight loss goals... That shit is healthy for you! just because it has carbs does not mean its bad. Your net carbs should be the carbs number minus the fibre number you're intaking. This should help you out aswell:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXN2WxUKa3M&feature=plcp

SeanR1221

Yeah stuff like broccoli I just load up on. I think I'm eating close to 3 cups for lunch today.

3 cups broccoli, 6oz of tuna, 2tbsp of tartar sauce and sriracha sauce. Mmm, good lunch.

mooooose

SeanR1221

http://m.theatlantic.com/health/arc...s-bad-for-your-arteries-as-cigarettes/261091/

I wanted to post this to maybe get some thoughts from people better educated on the subject.

I've been using eggs as a main protein source, as I thought they were a "good" cholesterol source, but should I be eating only the whites?

Is the yolk on me? Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I'd really have to see their methods section.

What other foods did these people eat? Were they living healthy lifestyles?

I plan on getting blood work done within the next month, just to check the oil. I eat 3-6 eggs a day so I'll post my results when I get them.

dralla

The study is a joke, with their lies - "It has been known for a long time that a high cholesterol intake increases the risk of cardiovascular events"

and their methods - Methods: Consecutive patients attending vascular prevention clinics at University Hospital had baseline measurement of TPA by duplex ultrasound, and filled out questionnaires regarding their lifestyle and medications, including pack-years of smoking, and the number of egg yolks consumed per week times the number of years consumed (egg-yolk years).

Just another observational study looking at correlation and not causation.

Anyone know how nutritional labels work for meat? Lets say I have a package of Chicken thighs (with skin and bone) would the nutritional label be for if you at the whole thing + the fat drippings? Or would it be cooked and already have subtracted fat that would cook off? It doesn't specify on the label.

lenovox1

Anyone know how nutritional labels work for meat? Lets say I have a package of Chicken thighs (with skin and bone) would the nutritional label be for if you at the whole thing + the fat drippings? Or would it be cooked and already have subtracted fat that would cook off? It doesn't specify on the label.

The new labels are for raw meat.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

The info is for what's sitting in the package in its raw form. There are countless ways the values would be changed depending on how the meat is cooked.

Aren't you on a very low carb diet? Thighs are one of the best things you can be eating from both value and nutritional content. Don't you dare toss out the skin, either! That's wonderful stuff.

The new labels are for raw meat.

Awww awesome. I feel less guilty eating several then lol.

The info is for what's sitting in the package in its raw form. There are countless ways the values would be changed depending on how the meat is cooked.

Aren't you on a very low carb diet? Thighs are one of the best things you can be eating from both value and nutritional content. Don't you dare toss out the skin, either! That's wonderful stuff.

Oh yes. I have 8 cooking on the grill as we speak :)

Hence what prompted my asking. Deliciousness.

Revoh

Oh how I hate my lower belly fat and love handles, it's so damn hard to get rid of them. My body trolls me in the order I lose fat, I lose it first on my legs, arms, face, shoulders - places where I wasn't even that fat when I started to lose weight almost a year ago. Dem crappy genetics

Oh how I hate my lower belly fat and love handles, it's so damn hard to get rid of them. My body trolls me in the order I lose fat, I lose it first on my legs, arms, face, shoulders - places where I wasn't even that fat when I started to lose weight almost a year ago. Dem crappy genetics

Yeah I am starting to notice some changes in my belly but my moobs are as big as ever. Already lost as must as I need to everywhere else :(

LaneDS

Yeah I am starting to notice some changes in my belly but my moobs are as big as ever. Already lost as must as I need to everywhere else :(

How tall are you? I'm sure you've listed it, but I'm not sure what you're defining "as much as I need to" as. You'll have to get your body % quite low before you see stomach and moobs disappear, unfortunately.

TheCrow

PSMF (Protein Sparing Modified Fast) is no joke. I've lost 3 lbs since I started Tuesday. Glad I'm working out today because I need to make sure I'm maintaining as much of my strength as possible.

Srsly

Banned
http://m.theatlantic.com/health/arc...s-bad-for-your-arteries-as-cigarettes/261091/

I wanted to post this to maybe get some thoughts from people better educated on the subject.

I've been using eggs as a main protein source, as I thought they were a "good" cholesterol source, but should I be eating only the whites?

Is the yolk on me? Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

The study was exceptionally poor: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/eggs-and-atherosclerosis/

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I had a glass of Orange Juice today for the first time in like 5 months. Overrated, not worth the calories. I need to drink a lot when I eat so those 8oz went in like 3 seconds lol

Weighed today, lost 4lbs this week! Makes up for not losing anything last week. Half way to my goal, thinking about maybe lowering my goal...

Hamst3r

Man, I can finally see the weight loss in my face. I couldn't see how fat my face was when it was fat.

chubbyhamst3r.jpg

Left = January 30th 2012.
Right = August 13th 2012.

Top Bottom