• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Anyone have any tips on joint pain. Took a week off my nightly walk/jog and it really isn't improving. Its not bad really but I can tell its there in my hips/knees waiting to come back the moment I start exercising again :(

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Anyone have any tips on joint pain. Took a week off my nightly walk/jog and it really isn't improving. Its not bad really but I can tell its there in my hips/knees waiting to come back the moment I start exercising again :(

I started with omega-3s about 2 weeks ago with the hopes of helping my feet and ankles. I haven't seen any improvements yet, but I reckon that sort of thing may take a while to be felt.

Other than the standard buy new shoes/arches/insoles have you tried those "shape up " shoes? They are supposed to help build your thighs and butt, I accidentally bought a pair for dudes off amazon last week and it's been quite an experience.

Now, I have flat feet and ankles that pronate which cause me no end of pain. My natural inclination while walking is to quite honestly slam my feet around like a dinosaur. They go up and down with minimal ankle movement, mostly because my ankles often hurt.

I rectify this by buying new cheap shoes once or twice a month, but these shape ups sort of force me to walk like a modern human. You know, kind of rocking the foot on impact. It's an interesting sensation, but it's how we naturally move and I'm hoping if I can get over the sheer oddness of walking this way that it will
help my ankles and feet not to swell.

Perhaps you might look into shoes that force you to rethink your stride.

HOLY FUCK! I've missed this feeling!

3 weeks into my "bulk"/strength increase program. Set personal records on all my back lifts today, including deadlifts of course.

...Then I saw a guy squatting my deadlift weight for reps! The gym has a funny way of keeping you focused. In my defense though, the guy was an incredibly tall, incredibly fit guy. If he's not a football player I'd be shocked really.

I actually asked him to help check my squat form on my leg day, as I've been feeling it's off. (his form was perfect). I'm not far behind him in squats, but I get too nervous under the bar and haven't really pushed myself.

EDIT: UGH, this is not the fitness thread.

untitledt8qu5.png

iDzEeAF21dlrd.gif

I started with omega-3s about 2 weeks ago with the hopes of helping my feet and ankles. I haven't seen any improvements yet, but I reckon that sort of thing may take a while to be felt.

Other than the standard buy new shoes/arches/insoles have you tried those "shape up " shoes? They are supposed to help build your thighs and butt, I accidentally bought a pair for dudes off amazon last week and it's been quite an experience.

Now, I have flat feet and ankles that pronate which cause me no end of pain. My natural inclination while walking is to quite honestly slam my feet around like a dinosaur. They go up and down with minimal ankle movement, mostly because my ankles often hurt.

I rectify this by buying new cheap shoes once or twice a month, but these shape ups sort of force me to walk like a modern human. You know, kind of rocking the foot on impact. It's an interesting sensation, but it's how we naturally move and I'm hoping if I can get over the sheer oddness of walking this way that it will

I think I need to both change my running form, as well as get some gel inserts for my shoes....

Have you tried supplementation with fish oil pills? Omega-3's can help people with joint problems.

Will give it a try. Though I havn't seen any studies on Omega 3's supporting joint health. (I am an Omega 3 skeptic.....people will claim it cures everything lol)

lol I actually have a pair of em. Will give em another shot......only wore em on walks a couple times and didn't notice any improvements. Either than or I am going to have to go to the gym more and focus on non leg exercise.

Also need to buy some cheap insoles. Any recommendations? The ones at Wal Mart are like 50$+ lol.

Also....got some new running shoes today and if anything I hurt way more. Also my right heel would rub against the back as I walked/jogged and it was raw by the time I got home /sigh. Think I am going to return them....maybe its because they are 1/2 size bigger than what I normally get.

Horseticuffs

Will give it a try. Though I havn't seen any studies on Omega 3's supporting joint health. (I am an Omega 3 skeptic.....people will claim it cures everything lol)

lol I actually have a pair of em. Will give em another shot......only wore em on walks a couple times and didn't notice any improvements. Either than or I am going to have to go to the gym more and focus on non leg exercise.

Also need to buy some cheap insoles. Any recommendations? The ones at Wal Mart are like 50$+ lol.

Also....got some new running shoes today and if anything I hurt way more. Also my right heel would rub against the back as I walked/jogged and it was raw by the time I got home /sigh. Think I am going to return them....maybe its because they are 1/2 size bigger than what I normally get.

As far as insoles, Dr, Scholes has several types. In the shoe section at my Walmart they sell $10-$15 ones, in the pharmacy you have the machine you step on that suggests $50 ones. I buy the $10 ones and they feel great.

On the isse of size, when I started working out I wore a 13 1/2 wide. Now I wear a regular 13. I've read that fat people have swollen feet and ankles due to all the stress from excess weight.

My ex-wife bought me some more expensive shoes a month or two back in my old size and I tried them out because they were Dr. scholls and I didn't want to be rude. Man, it hurt so bad because every time I'd go running my insoles and arches would be slipping around.

The purpose of this long, silly story is that you'll probably need to re-check your shoe size as you lose weight. I'm 5'7" and doubt that when all is said and done and I reach my goal that my feet will be anywhere near the size they were.

zam

"Shape up" shoes are bullshit.
http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news...ceptive-toning-shoe-ad-charges-for-25-million

Horseticuffs

Yeah, I read about that lawsuit a while back. I didn't intentionally buy these. Nowhere in the product description was it mentioned, and I was sort of put off when I opened the box.

But I know the way I walk is messed up and I'm hoping that how these shoes force me to rock my foot on impact might help me to tighten up my form. I've always just sort of clomped around.

Well I give up for now, I'm calling it quits and gonna try to bulk and regain some of the massive amounts of strength
I've lost during my weightloss.

Need better before and after pics, and pics in general I'm surprised at how bad my iphone camera is, but can't find anything else at the moment...

Before :
Weighing """only""" 110 kgs (240 lbs) in this pic, I gained another 5kg (11 lbs) reaching almost 115 kg (~255lbs)
before deciding to lose the weight.

untitled22trdr.png

After - featuring Robin Williams-level of body hair... :

untitledt8qu5.png

Current weight 66 kg (145 lbs)
Down ~50 kg (110 lbs)
110 cm (~44") waist down to 72 cm (28")
Duration was 2 months each summer for the past 3 summers... so a total of 6 months dieting/working out spread out over the past 2 years I guess. Now to do start doing actual DLs and squats :I...

Dude, you turned into Wolverine! That's awesome. Thanks a ton for posting because there's a certain group sect within this and the fitness thread that thinks you aren't "strong" if you don't weigh 200 lbs.

Curious, who thinks (or has even said) that?
I'd like to know too. I don't think anyone who is a regular, knowledgeable, poster would spew such nonsense.

Strength is relative. For example someone can have a lighter 1RM in a lift, but be stronger than someone who can lift heavier. Body weight, height, etc can play a big role. Common sense really.

Dude, you turned into Wolverine! That's awesome. Thanks a ton for posting because there's a certain group sect within this and the fitness thread that thinks you aren't "strong" if you don't weigh 200 lbs.

No one has ever said this. There is no set weight in which you are now 'strong'

Curious, who thinks (or has even said) that?

I think he is talking about you when you posted several pages back about that one guy in this thread asking about how he measured his strength gains (might be P90X thread).

I'd like to know too. I don't think anyone who is a regular, knowledgeable, poster would spew such nonsense.

Strength is relative. For example someone can have a lighter 1RM in a lift, but be stronger than someone who can lift heavier. Body weight, height, etc can play a big role. Common sense really.

Exactly.

Petrie

Banned

People don't care what you weigh, they care what you can accomplish.

LaneDS

Well I ate nothing yesterday (literally) and lost 4 pounds of water weight!!! WOOOOO!!!

Be careful with that, as you can do more harm than good if you're not doing well-planned out fasting. But hey, good job on losing a few pounds all the same.

BruceLeeRoy- great work! Shame you were stranded on that rock though.

Could you post some stats like how tall you are, before and after weights, and how you got to that point please?

mooooose

Be careful with that, as you can do more harm than good if you're not doing well-planned out fasting. But hey, good job on losing a few pounds all the same.

BruceLeeRoy- great work! Shame you were stranded on that rock though.

Could you post some stats like how tall you are, before and after weights, and how you got to that point please?
It was an accident. Ate normal today.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Well I give up for now, I'm calling it quits and gonna try to bulk and regain some of the massive amounts of strength
I've lost during my weightloss.

Need better before and after pics, and pics in general I'm surprised at how bad my iphone camera is, but can't find anything else at the moment...

Before :
Weighing """only""" 110 kgs (240 lbs) in this pic, I gained another 5kg (11 lbs) reaching almost 115 kg (~255lbs)
before deciding to lose the weight.

untitled22trdr.png

After - featuring Robin Williams-level of body hair... :

untitledt8qu5.png

Current weight 66 kg (145 lbs)
Down ~50 kg (110 lbs)
110 cm (~44") waist down to 72 cm (28")
Duration was 2 months each summer for the past 3 summers... so a total of 6 months dieting/working out spread out over the past 2 years I guess. Now to do start doing actual DLs and squats :I...

what the?? is this real? oh man congrats. i wish i could do this.

Thanks for the kinds words guys it was a lot of work. I hate spamming two threads with this stuff but I found a better before picture.

fatboy2.jpg

November | 2011 - 215-220lbs

Tahoe2.jpg

August | 2012 - 195lbs

Horseticuffs

I've been inspired by all the great pics, hard work, and dedication in this thread and decided to pick up the weights again and check out some well-rated videos on proper form off of YouTube.

I've had some great results concerning fat loss, though I've got miles to go, but I've lost a concerning amount of muscle mass along with it. I did a bunch of presses and push-ups and such tonight and even though the amount of weight is shameful, I'm feeling pretty wiped.

It's a good feeling though. For a few weeks I was carrying my weight loss pretty strictly on diet alone but I've been making a concerted effort to keep active this week and I'm feeling things are getting more positive all the time.

If I keep this up I have a decent chance of hitting 250 in a few weeks. I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll be able to fit into the size 42" shorts I picked up.

scaffa

Not sure if this belongs in the fitness thread or in this one. But I need some advice and input. I will give a little bit of a background because i'm not sure where to begin with. And sorry for the long story, I have been doing diets for a long time now and more info is always usefull.

My length is 1.80 and my weight is 93 kilo.

For about two years I have been going to the gym and when I started out I was about 80 kilo. In the beginning I did some cardio at the gym but not really that much. So since then I gained some weight but that is due to the muscle gain (mostly), im actually quite happy with the way I look now but you know there are just a few things that still need changing.

6 years ago I went on a diet and did a lot of cycling and went from 110 Kilo to 70 Kilo in less then a year.

My biggest problem till this day is my body fat % and now im at a point where I can't seem to manage to lose weight anymore. I don't want to lose that much but maybe going back to 85 kilo would be a nice goal. My body fat % is about 26 now, I want this of course way lower. My body fat % is my biggest enemy.

I go to the gym for 2 or 3 times a week, sometimes it's 2 because of work..but very rare. I started out with full body but changed that some time ago to a 3 day split workout. I also added alot more cardio to my workout. For the last month or maybe a bit more I go to the gym 3 times a week, and the day after a workout day I do some running, about 6 to 7 kilometer and sometimes 10 in a pretty high pace. Im trying to change this to HITT. I do a bit of cardio directly after my workout but nothing to insane, rowing for 2 kilometer and some cycling. I try to have atleast one day in the week where I do nothing.

I eat healthy, atleast that is what I think. I do think though that I actually eat not enough and feel like my body is reserves everything. I hit a brick wall somehow.

This is what I ate yesterday, ofcourse this changes daily but mostly stays the same. I don't drink soda's, to much coffee and dont eat any junk food.

Morning:
Whey Protein Shake with 200 ml Skimmed Milk and 30gr Fine Oats

Lunch:
Three cooked eggs or 2 to 4 slices of bread with peanut butter/chicken filet.

Evening:
50gr of Rice
150gr of chickenbreast (cooked) sometimes a bit more if I went to the gym (200 or 300gr)
100gr green vegetables, soy beans/brocolli
If I didnt eat any eggs during lunch I eat 2 in the evening.

Snacks:
250gr of Quark/Soft curd cheese not sure what the english name is. Yoghurt stuff :p
Fruits, Banana or Orange.
On days that I went to the gym I have another shake right after without the fine oats.
Lot's of water :)

In most cases I end up eating about 2100 Calories, 129g Carbs, 108g Fat (from eggs and the milk), 234g Protein.

What am I doing wrong? To much exercise, do I eat to much or to little? Like I said earlier I feel like my body tries to reserve itself or something. It's sorta frustrating so thats why im looking for feedback and some input.

What was your diet/routine like?

In a nutshell I followed Arnolds Intermediate training program(You can find in his book or online) along with his 2500 calorie diet. I only have time to hit the gym 3 times a week though.

To drop the fat quickly I started running 1 mile every morning. I was at a 8:00 mile in April and last week ran a 6:15. Just this by itself has made the biggest overall difference to my body fat.

After I dropped the weight and trimmed up I wanted to bulk up and do some strength training so I switched to the 5/3/1 program(Check the Fitness OT) for the last 3 months.

LaneDS

In a nutshell I followed Arnolds Intermediate training program(You can find in his book or online) along with his 2500 calorie diet. I only have time to hit the gym 3 times a week though.

To drop the fat quickly I started running 1 mile every morning. I was at a 8:00 mile in April and last week ran a 6:15. Just this by itself has made the biggest overall difference to my body fat.

After I dropped the weight and trimmed up I wanted to bulk up and do some strength training so I switched to the 5/3/1 program(Check the Fitness OT) for the last 3 months.

You'd run one mile seven days a week? That's a good time, in any case. About to drop to sub 8 minute miles on my 5k but 6:15 seems really far off.

You'd run one mile seven days a week? That's a good time, in any case. About to drop to sub 8 minute miles on my 5k but 6:15 seems really far off.

Yeah I would try to. That being said I missed a lot of days. I rolled my ankle playing basketball and was out for 3 weeks and some days I just didn't have time but it was more often than not.

Dgott

Banned
Thanks for the kinds words guys it was a lot of work. I hate spamming two threads with this stuff but I found a better before picture.

fatboy2.jpg

Tahoe2.jpg

August | 2012 - 195lbs

Please share how you lost the belly fat. I'm hovering around 200lbs right now but it's all belly fat and love handles. I'm 6'3" and my weight should be 200-205lbs but not fat weight. Been hitting the gym, cutting calories and still I can't lose the belly fat!

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Please share how you lost the belly fat. I'm hovering around 200lbs right now but it's all belly fat and love handles. I'm 6'3" and my weight should be 200-205lbs but not fat weight. Been hitting the gym, cutting calories and still I can't lose the belly fat!

I'm also 6'3", 195 and have the same problem. Gonna be hitting the gym with my roommate starting next week (since the job I just quit was getting in the way of going) to start a beginning weight training regimen. I'm hoping that will round me out a bit better, and even if it doesn't I'll eventually go back to the keto diet and hopefully lose that last bit of fat.

harSon

Banned

Thanks for this.

What types of foods did you eat? Did you pay attention to macros at all (Carbs, Proteins or Fat)?

Alright, I'm under 230 for the first time in probably about 4 years. Next stop: 220.

Edit:

Going down a shirt size and having it fit well / look good is a great feeling.

Run a high intensity mile first thing in the morning as many times a week as you can. Try to do it at least all 5 days of the work week. Clock yourself and aim to lower your time each week.

Use http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
To figure out a exact 1/2 mile from your house or work and back.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

fatboy2.jpg

Tahoe2.jpg

August | 2012 - 195lbs

Daym, nice butt. I really need to get on a routine. I want to look nice for next summer and my trip to japan next year. Sigh.I am so lazy :(

NZNova

I'm 8 1/2 weeks into my journey. Started at 99.1 kg (218 lbs) and as of my last weigh-in, as of 8 weeks, I'm down 10.4 kg (just shy of 23 lbs) and I'm sitting at 88.7kg (195 lbs). My goal is to keep going until I get to about 75kg (165 lbs).

I've been doing a diet program and 30 minutes to an hour on my elliptical trainer every weeknight, walks on weekends and dumbbell exercises. I'm already in need of new pants and it feels pretty good :D

CrankyJay

Banned
You weigh yourself every day? that is a sure fire way to drive yourself crazy. Weight fluctuates throughout the day, it's really kinda pointless to do so.

Agreed. Weigh yourself every Monday morning first thing, naked.

I use Monday's to account for my potential cheating on the weekends.

Micerider

Agreed. Weigh yourself every Monday morning first thing, naked.

I use Monday's to account for my potential cheating on the weekends.

Monday is pretty bad if you cheat on week-ends I think. you might have greater variations of food "yet to be fully processed" depending on your cheats. I prefer Friday morning, naked, after the first leak of the day but before breakfast. Might be the mean to obtain the least variations.

It's not an educated post, just what I observed during my own diet.

CrankyJay

Banned
Monday is pretty bad if you cheat on week-ends I think. you might have greater variations of food "yet to be fully processed" depending on your cheats. I prefer Friday morning, naked, after the first leak of the day but before breakfast. Might be the mean to obtain the least variations.

It's not an educated post, just what I observed during my own diet.

Totally understood...I should say do what works for you.

I've had some of my best weigh in's Monday mornings. I suspect cheating on a random weekend maybe have increased leptin levels and maybe a small bump up in metabolism from the onslaught of calories.

Also with those cheats come alcohol which has been known to empty fat cells holding onto water.

I think the point is to weigh yourself once a week on the same day...the day doesn't matter.

You weigh yourself every day? that is a sure fire way to drive yourself crazy. Weight fluctuates throughout the day, it's really kinda pointless to do so.

No, I weigh myself every Friday lunchtime..... didn't realise I had to be so precise in my wording here sheesh!

*Ahem* Only lost 1lb this week, not a lot but still heading in the right direction.

Weight fluctuates throughout the day but remains fairly steady if you weigh yourself in the morning right after you wake up (depending on your diet, I suppose). I like the reinforcement of seeing constant progress.

Top Bottom