• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

CrankyJay

Banned
Weight fluctuates throughout the day but remains fairly steady if you weigh yourself in the morning right after you wake up (depending on your diet, I suppose). I like the reinforcement of seeing constant progress.

The problem with this is most people would get discouraged if the scale doesn't tip in their favor.

My boss would message me every day "I lost .3 yesterday! I lost .1!" then get depressed when the scale didn't move. lol

deadbeef

The problem with this is most people would get discouraged if the scale doesn't tip in their favor.

My boss would message me every day "I lost .3 yesterday! I lost .1!" then get depressed when the scale didn't move. lol

If you record it every day and look at the trend line, individual one-day fluctuations are actually easier to deal with, because you can see the trend over time is going down (if that's what you're looking for)

CrankyJay

Banned
If you record it every day and look at the trend line, individual one-day fluctuations are actually easier to deal with, because you can see the trend over time is going down (if that's what you're looking for)

He did show me a graph on MFP and it looked like a staircase...and I get what you're saying, but I can see some people getting upset and giving up if they're not seeing the progress they want.

Rich!

Sooooooo. I've posted in this thread once before whilst drunk, and gained weight since.

I'm at 85kg, 180cm. No real muscle apart from my arms, and my BMI is overweight by quite a bit, nearly obese. Bit of an increase in the stomach/neck area recently too.

My goal is to get down to 70kg by November. My plan:

- Cut out all drinks apart from water and tea. No more monster energy or mtn dew throwback.
- Limit myself to 1,200kcal per day, with a equal balance of carbs/fat/protein.
- Eat reguarly to keep my energy up (an apple every so often between meals)

- Jogging on the spot at home. Don't like running outside, this may change. Usually a good half hour each day.
- A good 10 or so mile walk twice a week, usually to the nearest town and back. Done this the last week, easy. I like walking.
- sit ups to try and sort out the stomach. Four sets of 25, three nights a week, , maybe increasing.

So yeah, that's it. My job is a store manager, so I'm always on my feet. Never done anything weight loss or fitness related before in my life, so maybe my plan is wrong or stupid. Advice? Anything I could change? Am I being realistic?

Bealost

Sooooooo. I've posted in this thread once before whilst drunk, and gained weight since.

I'm at 85kg, 180cm. No real muscle apart from my arms, and my BMI is overweight by quite a bit, nearly obese. Bit of an increase in the stomach/neck area recently too.

- Cut out all drinks apart from water and tea. No more monster energy or mtn dew throwback.

- Jogging on the spot at home. Don't like running outside, this may change. Usually a good half hour each day.
- A good 10 or so mile walk twice a week, usually to the nearest town and back. Done this the last week, easy. I like walking.
- sit ups to try and sort out the stomach. Four sets of 25, three nights a week, , maybe increasing.

So yeah, that's it. My job is a store manager, so I'm always on my feet. Never done anything weight loss or fitness related before in my life, so maybe my plan is wrong or stupid. Advice? Anything I could change? Am I being realistic?

Very very realistic. Although jogging in place at home could be replaced by better things like push-ups and pull-ups there are easier ways to do them if you can't do regular ones. Skip the sit-ups they aren't good for your back and you can't spot reduce fat like that. If you insist on ab work try planks. Unless you are doing that 10 mile walk for something specific I suggest you look into hiking in your area, way more fun, you get to explore some, and it will keep you interested in it.

As far as your diet goes I don't really know what your TDR is so 1200 is an alright place to start (I'm assuming your a woman). Just make sure you keep track of how much your eating and your weight for a few weeks to be sure you are losing and not losing too quickly.

Rich!

Very very realistic. Although jogging in place at home could be replaced by better things like push-ups and pull-ups there are easier ways to do them if you can't do regular ones. Skip the sit-ups they aren't good for your back and you can't spot reduce fat like that. If you insist on ab work try planks. Unless you are doing that 10 mile walk for something specific I suggest you look into hiking in your area, way more fun, you get to explore some, and it will keep you interested in it.

As far as your diet goes I don't really know what your TDR is so 1200 is an alright place to start (I'm assuming your a woman). Just make sure you keep track of how much your eating and your weight for a few weeks to be sure you are losing and not losing too quickly.

Heh, what gave you the impression I am a woman? Better tell my girlfriend quickly! But yeah, thanks for the advice. The walk is basically a hike - I live in a rural area. My parents live in the town, so I need to go there regardless whether its by car or foot.

Anyway, I just want to get slimmer before me and my girlfriends baby is born in November. Can't be looking all chubby in photos that'd be with my family forever!

Also, my girlfriend did try saying to me that situps aren't that beneficial, so thanks for the clarification. Will try more push ups, but I suck at them right now.

1200 calories is way too low. Your body will think it's starving and shut down your metabolism. At your height and your desired weight, you really shouldn't be going less than 1500 cal and should probably start the first couple weeks around 1800.

Rich!

1200 calories is way too low. Your body will think it's starving and shut down your metabolism. At your height and your desired weight, you really shouldn't be going less than 1500 cal and should probably start the first couple weeks around 1800.

Yeah, I've got this app for my galaxy tab now and it has reccomended 1500. I admit, this weekend I've been going at 1200 max, and its been making me feel slightly light headed and not that well.

So starting my cheat week for the start of semester because they are requiring me to try the meal plan for a week before I can opt out. So lame.

Jamesways

Strange week, I had extra beer, and some pizza one night, but kept it mostly clean. Somehow managed to drop another 4 pounds. Have been lifting and doing cardio at the gym as regular.

Down 36 pounds now, and noticing some decent gains with the lifting.

Started at 240, now at 204.

Pein

Banned
so I've been slacking hard for the month of august, I hurt my foot and wasn't able to go the the gym. I've managed not to gain any weight, I'll be starting the gym on monday and hope to lose 40lbs by january.

dralla

My new favorite snack

51FzIvjPGdL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

A lot easier to get a bag of these instead of a real coconut lol Very cheap, only 3 bucks I think it was for the bag. Great source of MCT's, so if you're on a low carb/ketogenic diet, these are extra useful for that extra boost of energy. You can eat them out of the bag, saute them with your veggies, add them in home made trail mixes.. yea, they're pretty great.

one more thing, finally used my Misto Olive Oil sprayer today, it works! it's only $10, definitely worth it, makes baking a lot easier, no more having to 'paint' oil on whatever I'm cooking. works great on coating veggies too!

31D6GBYVAYL._AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SPZV/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

You weigh yourself every day? that is a sure fire way to drive yourself crazy. Weight fluctuates throughout the day, it's really kinda pointless to do so.

In the past I've done this before and yeah, it literally drove me nuts and was a big reason why I've quit before. I wanted to see the scale move down, and when it didn't it hurt my confidence. I kept thinking if I got down to a certain weight, I'll look a certain way. But reality hit more a few years ago. I finally got down to 145(I'm 5'7) and I looked nothing like how I thought I would. It felt really demoralizing, I let it bother me and cause me to let go again. I hung around the mid to high 150s for a while. Then I suffered a ankle injury at work that caused me to be unable to exercise or do anything for a few months. I really let it go and got all the way up to 169.

I've been on the comeback trail for nearly 3 weeks now. I've completely changed my mentality. Before I was only focused on losing weight so I jogged 6 times a week while only eating around 1500 calories with no weight lifting. Now I'm weight lifting 3 times a week while eating 1800-2000 calories a day. I'm not doing any jogging, but my job itself is sort of a work out. I have to move around a warehouse stacking cases(of all shapes and sizes). And depending on the ticket I'm given, it can be up to 7 feet tall. And I do that 8-9 hours a day, it can be tiring and I do sweat a lot. So the intensity is low, but I'm doing it for such a long period of time that I'm not even bothering with other cardio work outs.

But anyways, I checked the scale after the first and 2nd week. But my plan is to stay away from it for at least every 2 weeks. I know that the way I'm going about this right now means that I won't see good results every week. So that's why I plan on waiting longer inbetween checking the scale so that I won't hurt my confidence too much. I'm also going to take pictures, hopefully the results will show in that even if it doesn't on the scale. Hopefully everything works out and I'll be back in a few months when my success story.

When I first started I weighed myself every day. I think it really helped keep me accountable. Nowadays I usually only do it every 2-4 days. Always first thing in the morning. There was some variation day to day but not a whole lot. At least for me......and seeing the number go down ever so little every morning really kept me motivated.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Speaking of weighing yourself every day, some of you might recall that about a week ago my new scale came in.

It's the first scale I ever bought, and I was extremely surprised at how much I'd lost. I was thinking 65, but it ended up being 90lbs.

My question is, though, is it normal for a scale to have slight variations if you weigh yourself, say, several times in a minute or two?

Sometimes I'll do this and it will say 261, then 260, then perhaps 261 or 259. Since it is a small scale I assume that it is because, perhaps, my center of gravity has shifted.

Does this sound like a realistic assumption to you folks? I'd hate it if I dumb-lucked myself into yet another scale I can't trust (I was using an old scale my mother had).

Depends what kind of scale you got. Do you have the old fashion scale with the spinning circle thingy? If yes then I've experienced the same thing with them. I would constantly get no to see if it would say the same number over and over and sometimes it wouldn't. It drove me nuts as I wanted to pin point my weight and amount of weight loss. That's why I have a electronic scale now, it almost always gives me the same number. And even if it changes it's only by .2 at most because the scale will round you to your closest 2 tenths after the poundage.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Speaking of weighing yourself every day, some of you might recall that about a week ago my new scale came in.

It's the first scale I ever bought, and I was extremely surprised at how much I'd lost. I was thinking 65, but it ended up being 90lbs.

My question is, though, is it normal for a scale to have slight variations if you weigh yourself, say, several times in a minute or two?

Sometimes I'll do this and it will say 261, then 260, then perhaps 261 or 259. Since it is a small scale I assume that it is because, perhaps, my center of gravity has shifted.

Does this sound like a realistic assumption to you folks? I'd hate it if I dumb-lucked myself into yet another scale I can't trust (I was using an old scale my mother had).
Do you have any dumbbells (or anything else that's, say, 10+ pounds that you know the exact weight of)? You could try weighing those if you're concerned, but I really wouldn't worry too much. If it's an EatSmart scale by chance, I know that they have really good customer service and would let you swap it out, no questions asked.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Oh, daaaaaaamn Gina.

Well, while I was looking at my scale's manual I managed to find a little section that I surely wish I'd seen earlier.

Apparently, I'm a dumbass who kept his scale on carpet which is apparently a big no-no.

My bad, dawg :(

Well, I just magically gained 20lbs and am now 277. Shit.

Well, I'm not terribly discouraged. I WAS 350, and I know that if I've lost 70, I'm on the right track. All I need to do is work harder.

I'm glad for this actually. I'm doing this to learn the hard lessons I needed to learn, and I'd rather have the ugly truth than a beautiful lie.

Still kind of sucks though.

Got a nasty case of runner's knee, and to make the rehab worse, I live on the second floor (so the stairs prevent any real rest day). This means I can't jog, which fucking sucks.

Wiktor

Got a nasty case of runner's knee, and to make the rehab worse, I live on the second floor (so the stairs prevent any real rest day). This means I can't jog, which fucking sucks.

Just don't use that knee when climbing the stairs. Raise your body on the healthy knee and then just put the bad one on the same stop..rinse and repeat. Also..hold the handle (most stairwairs have one) and use your arms too.
Screwed up knees suck so much :(

mooooose

Almost down to 145. This was my goal but I had more fat than I thought. I want to be really cut. So I'm going to get down to 135 to 140 (where ever I end up by mid October) and then do a clean slow bulk. Time to get strong. Can't fucking wait.

Petrie

Banned

I think it really just comes down to one's personality. Personally, I'm a long term planner, and a bit OCD. I can check the same stat every day without getting discouraged, as thanks to a lifetime of Diabetes I'm always focused on long-term trends, individual numbers can serve a purpose, but the overall average has more meaning.

If you're the type to get discouraged easily though, better to weight yourself more sparingly.

I had a little discouraging set back when I weighed myself yesterday. A week ago I weighed myself, 160.4 lbs (my original goal was to hit 160 lbs). During the week I kept up with my diet and exercise and I was looking forward to finally weighing myself and surpassing my goal this weekend. I got on the scale and it read 161.2 lbs. This was the first time since I started losing weight 3 months ago that I went in the wrong direction. Any other week it wouldn't have been a big deal but it sucks that it happened right as I was to hit my goal.

Petrie

Banned
I had a little discouraging set back when I weighed myself yesterday. A week ago I weighed myself, 160.4 lbs (my original goal was to hit 160 lbs). During the week I kept up with my diet and exercise and I was looking forward to finally weighing myself and surpassing my goal this weekend. I got on the scale and it read 161.2 lbs. This was the first time since I started losing weight 3 months ago that I went in the wrong direction. Any other week it wouldn't have been a big deal but it sucks that it happened right as I was to hit my goal.

This is why goals with the numbers on the scale only make sense when you're severely overweight.

This is why goals with the numbers on the scale only make sense when you're severely overweight.

I wasn't severely obese when I started but at 203 lbs at 5' 8", I was definitely not in good shape and had plenty to lose. I just happen to be nearing the goal I set for myself when I started and it's just a little disappointing that right as I was about to hit the goal I had a set back. Not a big deal in the long run, I know. Just a little disappointing.

Petrie

Banned
I wasn't severely obese when I started but at 203 lbs at 5' 8", I was definitely not in good shape and had plenty to lose. I just happen to be nearing the goal I set for myself when I started and it's just a little disappointing that right as I was about to hit the goal I had a set back. Not a big deal in the long run, I know. Just a little disappointing.

yeah, but now you're 5'8 and 160ish, time to set different types of goals1 lol

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Hi guys,

I'm 5'11. I started at 181 three weeks ago and hit 170 last week. My goal is 160-165.

Here's the problem: the first 10 pounds melted away. The (#%&#!@ scale has not budged for 1 solid week. I cannot get the damn thing below 170.

Right now I'm eating around 1,500 calories a day and limiting myself to around 100-130 carbs.

Every other day I bike between 8-11 miles. On the days I don't bike, I lift weights, alternating between sessions where I focus on a specific body part (e.g. biceps, shoulders) and a whole body circuit.

How can I get unstuck at 170? Is it just going to be a big grind for the last 10 pounds?

harSon

Banned
Hi guys,

I'm 5'11. I started at 181 three weeks ago and hit 170 last week. My goal is 160-165.

Here's the problem: the first 10 pounds melted away. The (#%&#!@ scale has not budged for 1 solid week. I cannot get the damn thing below 170.

Right now I'm eating around 1,500 calories a day and limiting myself to around 100-130 carbs.

Every other day I bike between 8-11 miles. On the days I don't bike, I lift weights, alternating between sessions where I focus on a specific body part (e.g. biceps, shoulders) and a whole body circuit.

How can I get unstuck at 170? Is it just going to be a big grind for the last 10 pounds?

For one thing, between eating 1500 calories in food and biking that many miles, your body is basically starving... Eat more food!

RSTEIN

For one thing, between eating 1500 calories in food and biking that many miles, your body is basically starving... Eat more food!

I don't feel hungry ever. I have toast in the morning, salad for lunch and a healthy dinner. For a night snack I have 6 whole wheat ritz crackers with cheese.

Zoe

I don't feel hungry ever. I have toast in the morning, salad for lunch and a healthy dinner. For a night snack I have 6 whole wheat ritz crackers with cheese.

Sometimes you have to make yourself eat. Try something more substantial than a salad for lunch.

Zoe

So you're saying I should eat more to lose weight?

If you're at too much of a deficit, your body is going to try to hold onto what it has. That's part of the problem with trying to lose weight and doing intensive fitness at the same time.

RSTEIN

If you're at too much of a deficit, your body is going to try to hold onto what it has. That's part of the problem with trying to lose weight and doing intensive fitness at the same time.

Well, I'm scared that if I eat more I'll just gain the weight back.

LaneDS

BruceLeeroy, if you're still poking your head in here I wanted to know if you warmed up for your 1 mile run (or is it more of a max intensity near-sprint?) that you'd do everyday, or if you just went outside and had at it. Either way, going to try to do the same for a while in addition to P90X to see if my body reacts well to the additional daily cardio.

Are you lifting weights? Weighing more does not always mean you're getting fatter. Trust me, I've been there. I'm still somewhat battling it right now. The only thing that matters is body fat percentage when your weight gets as low as it is for your height. Maybe your weight stayed the same but you lost an inch off your waist. Stuff like this happens. If you can, try to take pictures every week or two. Lets say 2 weeks past and you only lost 2 pounds, that sound pretty discouraging right. But if you compare pictures from the two week span, you may see a bigger difference in your body then the 2 pounds would have told you. Hope this helps a bit, good luck.

dralla

As long as you're eating good food, you won't. Stop worrying about the number of calories, where they come from is what is important. Looking at your diet, I don't see enough fats and proteins. Try eating eggs for breakfast Lately I've been eating avocado and eggs for breakfast, friggin delicious. On your salad make sure you have a good amount of protein, chicken/tuna/shrimp/ect, and throw some walnuts in there for some fat. Dinner could be a fat steak and a sweet potato or some veggies covered in butter. Basically, stick to whole foods as much as possible.

RSTEIN

Are you lifting weights? Weighing more does not always mean you're getting fatter. Trust me, I've been there. I'm still somewhat battling it right now. The only thing that matters is body fat percentage when your weight gets as low as it is for your height. Maybe your weight stayed the same but you lost an inch off your waist. Stuff like this happens. If you can, try to take pictures every week or two. Lets say 2 weeks past and you only lost 2 pounds, that sound pretty discouraging right. But if you compare pictures from the two week span, you may see a bigger difference in your body then the 2 pounds would have told you. Hope this helps a bit, good luck.
Yes, I am lifting. I'm going to start taking pictures to stay motivated, maybe take measurements of waste, chest, etc. Thanks for the advice.

dralla said:
As long as you're eating good food, you won't. Stop worrying about the number of calories, where they come from is what is important. Looking at your diet, I don't see enough fats and proteins. Try eating eggs for breakfast Lately I've been eating avocado and eggs for breakfast, friggin delicious. On your salad make sure you have a good amount of protein, chicken/tuna/shrimp/ect, and throw some walnuts in there for some fat. Dinner could be a fat steak and a sweet potato or some veggies covered in butter. Basically, stick to whole foods as much as possible.

I forgot to add that I do have a protein shake after every workout. On my salad I have lots of walnuts and chick peas.

I eat very few of what could be called processed foods. No packaged stuff, rarely have white bread, minimal sugar. My odd indulgance is a coke zero, lol.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to take some measurements tonight. Then next Monday I will report back with new measurements.

Wheat isn't good for you. Some people handle it better than others is all.

yea, I always avoid it, but I ate pizza and garlic bread over the weekend. Feels bad man.

I get brain fog after eating eggs...I can't think properly and mind feels like it's shutting down. This is why I avoid eggs. :/ I used to love them.

probably has something to do with the chicken feed or maybe the chicken being raised in a terrible environment.

Maybe you should try eggs from a local farm or something.

No, I mean it's making me feel nauseous because I am absolutely sick of eating them.

You know when you've eaten a food so much that you literally want to throw up whenever you just look at it? This has finally happened to me after eating eggs almost everyday for the last 5 years.

Top Bottom