• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Zoe

Why do you keep doing cardio at home when you already get so much done over the rest of the day?

Ditch the home cardio and do resistance training instead.

BIGWORM

Why do you keep doing cardio at home when you already get so much done over the rest of the day?

Ditch the home cardio and do resistance training instead.

While I'm getting a good portion of cardio at work daily, I feel like I'm not doing that much because its spread over an 8 hour period. =/

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
While I'm getting a good portion of cardio at work daily, I feel like I'm not doing that much because its spread over an 8 hour period. =/

I feel ya' buddy. I work in the kitchen at a fairly large hospital and do a shit ton of walking and lifting and stretching every day

. I also jog between 6-10 miles a week and have started doing some weights, though not as seriously as I could.

For the past 2 months I've done pretty much exactly 1500 calories a day. Usually 20-30 calories under but I try to keep it close.

With all this activity I am afraid of entering starvation mode sometimes but I'm continuously losing weight and so far have no evidence it's happening.

So, I've lost almost 80lbs since January. I started out at 350 and am now at 272.5. I bring all this up since our jobs are sort of similar in activity level and environment, and perhaps our physiques might be similar if that helps.

My recommendation is to simply try bumping up to maybe 1,400 or 1,500. That level has allowed me to continually lose weight, get a good amount of cardio in, and still be very physically active at my job.

I don't ever really feel hungry even with all that, but I know my intake is low enough that I'm running on a deficit between the caloric restriction and daily activity.

So, like I said, the difference between 1,200 and 1,500 might make all the difference in keeping you out of the dreaded starvation mode.

Let me ask, do you have a smart phone? I've had great success with Myfitnesspal. It's free and so easy to count every single thing you take in.

BIGWORM

I feel ya' buddy. I work in the kitchen at a fairly large hospital and do a shit ton of walking and lifting and stretching every day

. I also jog between 6-10 miles a week and have started doing some weights, though not as seriously as I could.

For the past 2 months I've done pretty much exactly 1500 calories a day. Usually 20-30 calories under but I try to keep it close.

With all this activity I am afraid of entering starvation mode sometimes but I'm continuously losing weight and so far have no evidence it's happening.

So, I've lost almost 80lbs since January. I started out at 350 and am now at 272.5. I bring all this up since our jobs are sort of similar in activity level and environment, and perhaps our physiques might be similar if that helps.

My recommendation is to simply try bumping up to maybe 1,400 or 1,500. That level has allowed me to continually lose weight, get a good amount of cardio in, and still be very physically active at my job.

I don't ever really feel hungry even with all that, but I know my intake is low enough that I'm running on a deficit between the caloric restriction and daily activity.

So, like I said, the difference between 1,200 and 1,500 might make all the difference in keeping you out of the dreaded starvation mode.

Let me ask, do you have a smart phone? I've had great success with Myfitnesspal. It's free and so easy to count every single thing you take in.

I do have a smart phone, and I do have MyFitnessPal, though since the surgery, I haven't really used it. 2200 calories/daily is my maintenance, but I'm not trying to maintain weight, and so I try to do a 1000 calorie deficit for weight loss, but I keep yo-yoing 3-4 pounds either direction. Pretty disheartening. I'll try upping my caloric intake a bit and see what happens. Whats your intake for carbs? I try to limit myself to 100-150g a day, depending on if I'm working or not.

Horseticuffs

I Whats your intake for carbs? I try to limit myself to 100-150g a day, depending on if I'm working or not.

I'm ashamed to say but I average about 250g a day, which I know is waaaaay too much. I'm a vegetarian and a lot of my diet is beans and lentils so about 60% of my diet is carbs with 20% protein and 20% fat. They vary but always hover around that.

I'm finding it really hard to reduce my carbs, honestly. I keep losing weight and I don't know if it's that my body processes them efficiently, or if it's because literally they are all from like beans and lentils and such or what.

If my carb intake causes me issues in the future I'll need to address it, but for right now it isn't. Truthfully, I fear the day I have to summon the will to cut my carbs.

At my heaviest my diet was pretty much entirely carb-based, and I mean like cookies and cakes and ramen and shit like that. I stay away from processed foods and stick to healthy carbs and maybe that's why I've been lucky so far.

It very well could lead me to plateau eventually, I guess :(

Issun23

It's been a week and a half since I decided I had enough of my absurd quality of life. I changed my diet to a healthy and sustainable one and started going for a three-mile walk every day.

I started at 275lbs and I'm now 245lbs. My current goal is to go down to 200lbs - so I'm almost at the first checkpoint (240lbs).

I realize it's only been ten or so days but I already feel better. Ten years ago I weighed 165lbs and I had forgotten how healthier I was but thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and your motivation I'm starting to remember now.

Issun23

I don't know what to say other than that's what the scale is saying - I went down from 125kg to 111kg.

I should say that ten years ago I went down from 100kg to 65kg in two and a half months, which is summer school break here. That's close to 80lbs. Classmates and other people that I hadn't seen since before the holidays could barely recognise me.

Maybe the scale is wrong, but in any case I know I lost weight because clothes have started to fit me better now. Frankly, I don't really care about the exact figures, I want to lead a healthier life and that's what I'm doing now and intend to continue doing in the future.

Petrie

Banned
Maybe the scale is wrong, but in any case I know I lost weight because clothes have started to fit me better now. Frankly, I don't really care about the exact figures, I want to lead a healthier life and that's what I'm doing now and intend to continue doing in the future.

Oh I'm sure you lost weight. It's that when someone comes in and says they lost 30 lbs in 10 days, it just sets unrealistic expectations for others who may then become discourages, because that simply isn't something that can happen.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey GAF, I need some ideas for low carb low sugar (preferably no sugar no carb but I don't mind a small bit of sugar (like 10% daily recommended) or carbs) treats that I don't need to keep in the fridge or freezer, and I can just grab from the pantry.

Only thing I really have is Almonds, and while they are filled with a lot of good fat, I can't eat too many otherwise the fat becomes too much. Everything else is veggies, some fruit and yogurt (plain no sugar kind) for snacks in my fridge/freezer and they are pretty packed with those + entrees.
www.bigjohnsbeefjerky.com

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Can't believe I'm turning into a hardgainer when I used to be obese my whole life until a couple years ago.

I weighed 194 yesterday morning and ate 3,500 calories, at least 150g of carbs, and 20g of creatine with a lot of water yesterday.

I weigh myself this morning and I'm 191.

K.

dralla

Hey GAF, I need some ideas for low carb low sugar (preferably no sugar no carb but I don't mind a small bit of sugar (like 10% daily recommended) or carbs) treats that I don't need to keep in the fridge or freezer, and I can just grab from the pantry.

Only thing I really have is Almonds, and while they are filled with a lot of good fat, I can't eat too many otherwise the fat becomes too much. Everything else is veggies, some fruit and yogurt (plain no sugar kind) for snacks in my fridge/freezer and they are pretty packed with those + entrees.
Other types of nuts besides almonds, I love Blue Diamonds cinnamon roasted almonds.
Dip your veggies in nut butter. Granny Smith Apples and Almond Butter is one of my favorite snacks
Trail Mixes
Coconut Flakes (unsweetened)
Cheese Sticks
Turkey/Cheese/Lettuce roll-up, or any kind of cold cut
Pork Rinds/Cracklins
Hard boiled eggs
Extra dark chocolate, 85% cacao and up
Quest Bars
Avocados
Canned tuna, mix it with avocado and it's a really simple, healthy snack/meal
Beef Jerky [watch out for added sugars]

Starting my diet back up as of today. Still fighting with my university to get off their (amazing but not low carb) meal plan that was super expensive. They told me to try a week and if it did not work I could get off....now its been a week and they seem to have gotten cold feet and are giving me more shit. Been fighting beurocracy on for for a month now. Think I am just going to say "fuck you" and not use the meal plan and threaten to sue if they still charge me for it. Pretty sure state schools are required by law to fulfill the dietary needs of student.

Horseticuffs

Starting my diet back up as of today. Still fighting with my university to get off their (amazing but not low carb) meal plan that was super expensive. They told me to try a week and if it did not work I could get off....now its been a week and they seem to have gotten cold feet and are giving me more shit. Been fighting beurocracy on for for a month now. Think I am just going to say "fuck you" and not use the meal plan and threaten to sue if they still charge me for it. Pretty sure state schools are required by law to fulfill the dietary needs of student.

Surely they must have a salad bar, or at least SOMETHING? Low-carb is super popular.

Surely they must have a salad bar, or at least SOMETHING? Low-carb is super popular.

They have salads but they are kind of lame, pre packaged and almost always have something high carb in them like croutons or fruit.

Not to mention that I have to LIVE on this plan and believe it or not salads are not high fat or high protein by any stretch of the imagination. The BULK of my food MUST come from the meals I get from the plan. Its too expensive to do anything else.

Log4Girlz

Well I give up for now, I'm calling it quits and gonna try to bulk and regain some of the massive amounts of strength
I've lost during my weightloss.

Need better before and after pics, and pics in general I'm surprised at how bad my iphone camera is, but can't find anything else at the moment...

Before :
Weighing """only""" 110 kgs (240 lbs) in this pic, I gained another 5kg (11 lbs) reaching almost 115 kg (~255lbs)
before deciding to lose the weight.

untitled22trdr.png

After - featuring Robin Williams-level of body hair... :

untitledt8qu5.png

Current weight 66 kg (145 lbs)
Down ~50 kg (110 lbs)
110 cm (~44") waist down to 72 cm (28")
Duration was 2 months each summer for the past 3 summers... so a total of 6 months dieting/working out spread out over the past 2 years I guess. Now to do start doing actual DLs and squats :I...

Holy shit you're wolverine, that's awesome.

Horseticuffs

They have salads but they are kind of lame, pre packaged and almost always have something high carb in them like croutons or fruit.

Not to mention that I have to LIVE on this plan and believe it or not salads are not high fat or high protein by any stretch of the imagination. The BULK of my food MUST come from the meals I get from the plan. Its too expensive to do anything else.

That's a rough situation. Having never seen a university cafeteria I, apparently, expected them to be better stocked than they are. That's a shame.

Well, hopefully they will let you get out of the plan. Seems like they were sort of bullying you into trying it.

Zoe

Surely they must have non-fried meats and vegetable sides? Low-carb doesn't have to mean salad.

Surely they must have non-fried meats and vegetable sides? Low-carb doesn't have to mean salad.
It's not like a buffet where you choose your meal components. It's more like a restaurant with a very specific menu. There are only four or five meat dishes outside burgers. A couple of those are breaded a couple others are smothered in sugary sauce or the meat portion is only a tiny portion of a very large, very carb heavy dish. The one that is just meat is very lean chicken......I can't be expected to eat that every day. Not to mention that all the meat dishes are as low fat as they could possibly be.

The ordering system is digital and does not allow for much customization. My school is a commuter school so not many people need meal plans so there is not much variety.

TheExodu5

Banned
Don't worry about doing zero carb. Just do the best you can with the options you have available to you.

If you do that, and avoid needless snacking and sugary beverages, you'll do fine.

If you can't do low carb period, then calorie counting works as well...it just takes a bit more will power to pull it off.

Piggus

I know Zefah (and a few others, including myself) have recommended this thing, so wanted to the rest of WeightLoss-GAF a heads up.

Here's a great idea for those days when you have time for a full gym work-out (which you should be exercising regularly):

Pull Up Bars:

bar.jpg

Install very easliy like this:

doorway_gym_chin_up_bar.jpg

Excellent work-out, and cheap. These pull-up bars go for about $20 on Amazon. Great for toning up your arms, shoulders, and back. Combine a set of pull-ups with a set of push-ups & air squats, and you have a damn good home work out there. It's my morning exercise routine: 10-15 pull-ups, followed immediately by 20 push-ups, and 15 air squats, then a 1.5mi run. Takes about 30min.

Learn to LOVE pull-ups :)

These are very cool, but please be careful with them. One of our family friend's son was paralyzed on one and received pretty bad brain damage as well. :/

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
These are very cool, but please be careful with them. One of our family friend's son was paralyzed on one and received pretty bad brain damage as well. :/

Yikes, sorry to hear, I'm afraid of these cause I always feel as if the door will collapse under the stress.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What did he do? A backflip or something? I can't imagine getting hurt on one of these.

Might have been hanging upside down or something. I've been tempted to try something similar, but I never have (nor will).

GOD DAMNIT.

Gave the food services guy a hard time about not letting me off meal plan. (to be fair he was running around in circles)

Then weighed myself today and had lost 4 lbs........now I feel bad.

Now I have to send an apology email......

SeanR1221

GOD DAMNIT.

Gave the food services guy a hard time about not letting me off meal plan. (to be fair he was running around in circles)

Then weighed myself today and had lost 4 lbs........now I feel bad.

Now I have to send an apology email......

What has your average day been like on the meal plan?

What has your average day been like on the meal plan?

Well. As of last Friday I had gained 2 lbs on the meal plan. (So really I just have a 2lb net loss which is less than I have averaged normally)

I went home for the holiday sun/mon but I still used the meal plan sat/tue.

I still want off the meal plan though. Why fuck with something that works?

Ah.

Well there is what I SHOULD have been eating and what I actually ate lol. The problem is only two things on their menu can even be jerryrigged to be low carb. Chicken and Burgers. By the end of the week I was so bored I pretty much said "fuck it" and ate anything I wanted (in moderation).

SeanR1221

In college I actually got to my lowest weight (155) while on the meal plan. Cereal and oatmeal for breakfast, salads and sandwiches (turkey or chicken) for lunch, grilled chicken and vegetables for dinner. That and running really helped. I couldnt lift nearly as much weight as I can now (I'm about 30 pounds heavier) but I'd honestly rather be stronger than skinnier.

In college I actually got to my lowest weight (155) while on the meal plan. Cereal and oatmeal for breakfast, salads and sandwiches (turkey or chicken) for lunch, grilled chicken and vegetables for dinner. That and running really helped. I couldnt lift nearly as much weight as I can now (I'm about 30 pounds heavier) but I'd honestly rather be stronger than skinnier.

My problem is that when I am doing anything non low carb I am literally starving. I could eat 2k calories of high carb food and feel like I still need to go down a cheeseburger and fries. Makes life unfun.

While on low carb/keto I am just never hungry.

SeanR1221

Well like I've been asking, what kind of stuff is there to eat for each meal? You might not be able to be in ketosis but it should be fairly easy to hit <100g of carbs.

Well like I've been asking, what kind of stuff is there to eat for each meal? You might not be able to be in ketosis but it should be fairly easy to hit <100g of carbs.

Eh. Almost 3/4 of their menu is bread/pasta based.

The ones that do have meats/protiens are almost always part of a dish with rice or potatoes. I think I would really struggle to stay below 100g.

SeanR1221

No vegetables? No fruits? Not even things like yogurt?

I'm having a hard time believing your choices are bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and then chicken or a burger.

I'm really trying to help you (as someone who quite successfully survived a meal plan) but you have to work with me here. Try your best and list the foods available for each meal.

No vegetables? No fruits? Not even things like yogurt?

I'm having a hard time believing your choices are bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and then chicken or a burger.

I'm really trying to help you (as someone who quite successfully survived a meal plan) but you have to work with me here. Try your best and list the foods available for each meal.

They may have veggie sides (with the rice or potatoes). I don't think you understand the type of meal plan this is. I don't pick my food. I go up to a menu with set dishes and order one. You don't order components. There is no salad bar or fruit tray.

Plus if they had yogurt what are the chances it would be anything other than the super sugary shit lol.

...but yeah i will make due if I have to.

SeanR1221

Can you list all the combos then? Like let's pretend you walk into the cafeteria for breakfast, lunch and dinner today. What are your options?

Ummm sure.

The menu is pretty much the same all day.

Breakfast: Pankcakes, waffles, crepes, two kinds of like cheese/egg/sausage/potato scrambles

Pastas/Pizzas not going to list

They have like 4 kinds of burgers. All come with fries.

Entrees: They have Teriaki chicken with rice and string beans, Roast chicken with broccoli and potatoes, BBQ Beef with mashes potatoes and gravy, Pretty sure they have a couple other asian type dishes as well on pasta or rice.

They don't have a ton of options because our on campus housing is fairly small because its a commuter school.

SeanR1221

Breakfast you can have the scramble and lunch/dinner you can have any of those meat dishes, right? They're not forcing you to eat the rice or potatoes, unless you lack all self control. Can you only get one dish per meal? If so, weren't you saying its a pretty expensive plan...seems odd if you only get a little bit of food.

Breakfast you can have the scramble and lunch/dinner you can have any of those meat dishes, right? They're not forcing you to eat the rice or potatoes, unless you lack all self control. Can you only get one dish per meal? If so, weren't you saying its a pretty expensive plan...seems odd if you only get a little bit of food.

Yeah I can order again. Its quite a wait though....at least 15-20 minutes or so and you can only order one at a time.

So thats probably what I will do. Its just super inconvenient :(

Top Bottom