• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

So you didn't even count grams and stuff for what you ate? Guess potatoes and bread (starches in general) were totally eliminated?

Yeah I was VERY low carb. I would say 20-30 grams per day.

Carby foods 100% gone.......too much temptation. However, I could eat all the low carb food I want as long as I made sure I was aware of what i was eating (which generally limits me).

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Random update...

I've come to terms that my stomach isn't going to change whether I'm 150 pounds or 180 pounds at this point just due to the loose skin I've accumulated through the rapid weight loss...so I'm in maintenance mode and keeping things steady at 170 (@ 6'1").

People that know me well and see me semi-regularly still think I'm loosing weight even though I've probably held steady at 170 for the past 6 months...have just been following a LeanGains style of eating with a simple bodyweight program I do 3 times a week.

All in all...my new body is awesome, I feel great...I look much better...and hopefully this damn loose skin goes away in a year or two. I'll keep scrubbing the shit out of it in the shower with exfoliating style body wash every morning until it's gone!

Just happy that I'm in a good place and lost all the weight, kept it off...and steadily have been increasing my physical ability.

Yeah I was VERY low carb. I would say 20-30 grams per day.

Carby foods 100% gone.......too much temptation. However, I could eat all the low carb food I want as long as I made sure I was aware of what i was eating (which generally limits me).
Dunno how you guys do that. <30g carbs a day is absolutely unsustainable for me. Maybe a week, but there's no way I could sustain that any longer.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Dunno how you guys do that. <30g carbs a day is absolutely unsustainable for me. Maybe a week, but there's no way I could sustain that any longer.

For me it's only the first week that is arduous, the rest of the time it's just "normal".

RubxQub

When you get results, you're willing to make it through a lot to keep it up!

dralla

I've been staying at 30g of carbs or so per day pretty consistently. I don't specifically try to, it's just the way I've been eating lately. When I do go over, it's from fruit or dark chocolate. I feel better when I stay that low, that's the main reason I do it. Working at whole foods makes it easy, we have an awesome salad bar, with salmon, chicken, eggs, avocado/guacomole, olives, cheese..all of it fresh every day, it's the best part of working there so far, aside from the girl in customer service <3

and speaking of dark chocolate, green and black's organic 85% dark bar is the best dark chocolate I've ever had.

on a side note, I bought canned salmon, just wanted to try it and get some O3's, the fuck? it only has 1 gram of fat, what is this shit. edit, nvm, 1g of fat per serving, which is not the whole can, I'm dumb lol not to mention it's PINK salmon, not red/sockeye, shieet. maybe next time i'll pay attention

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Ugh. Damnit every time I have my kids for the weekend I get weak and want to constantly eat. I'm so frustrated with myself.

I'm gonna end up blowing all the hard work I put in during the week :( Gonna be a big, fat jerk again unless I quit this crap.

Eurocult

Very inspiring thread guys

I'm 5'11"

Heaviest I got was about 225lbs in March 2012. Kind of started losing weight by guessing my way through it, exercising more, eating less, etc.

Then in June, I started using Myfitnesspal + mapmyride. My first log in was at 213lbs

I bike everywhere, so that's how I get my exercise.

Progress so far:

Started out at 225

today's weigh in 188

Total loss so far: 37 lbs

My goal is to hit 175, then start working out my abs. What's the best way to get toned in the stomach area?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Random update...

I've come to terms that my stomach isn't going to change whether I'm 150 pounds or 180 pounds at this point just due to the loose skin I've accumulated through the rapid weight loss...so I'm in maintenance mode and keeping things steady at 170 (@ 6'1").

People that know me well and see me semi-regularly still think I'm loosing weight even though I've probably held steady at 170 for the past 6 months...have just been following a LeanGains style of eating with a simple bodyweight program I do 3 times a week.

All in all...my new body is awesome, I feel great...I look much better...and hopefully this damn loose skin goes away in a year or two. I'll keep scrubbing the shit out of it in the shower with exfoliating style body wash every morning until it's gone!

Just happy that I'm in a good place and lost all the weight, kept it off...and steadily have been increasing my physical ability.

How old are you and how long since your weight loss?

SeanR1221

Very inspiring thread guys

I'm 5'11"

Heaviest I got was about 225lbs in March 2012. Kind of started losing weight by guessing my way through it, exercising more, eating less, etc.

Then in June, I started using Myfitnesspal + mapmyride. My first log in was at 213lbs

I bike everywhere, so that's how I get my exercise.

Progress so far:

Started out at 225

today's weigh in 188

Total loss so far: 37 lbs

My goal is to hit 175, then start working out my abs. What's the best way to get toned in the stomach area?

Plank, squat, deadlift.

RubxQub

I thought rubix was dead! Or banned. Either way good to have you back man.
Dabbling around...it's been quite awhile! Awesome to see your progress and the lady friend and the same avatar :p
How old are you and how long since your weight loss?
27, started losing weight a little over 2 years ago. Lost 90% of it in under a year... Like 75% of it in about 6 months.

SeanR1221

Don't know about that. Women love themselves some abs; that's why they're prominently featured on so many magazines.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/03/05/top-muscles-women-love/

It's been posted in the fitness thread before, but some major surveys have shown the back and shoulders are the major physical turn ons for women. I think for attractiveness in general physical traits are usually in the middle or the bottom, with things like kindness and personality topping them.

Schlep

Going to interrupt with some food. Cheat meal? Cheat meal. Not that bad in the end, though (28g net carbs, 56g protein).

nachos.jpg

When you get results, you're willing to make it through a lot to keep it up!
I find it's often more difficult to sustain in other ways, too. Requiring more meat is far more expensive, although you can just get produce and vegetables. That requires pretty frequent grocery trips too, though. Although... canned goods like beans, greens, and stuff may be just as good.

Low carb is only really a short-term fix for me, though. As soon as I do eat carbs again (sorry, a life without carbs is just not possible for me), my body balloons up with weight.

It may be worth a shot for a week though to jump-start things, however. :)

Arksy

Guys, I've hit a little bit of a wall in terms of weight loss. Stalled at around 110kgs/242lbs for the last two weeks not really moving. Eating a moderate amount of carbs these days. Should I try ketosis? Could I get a link for a good ketosis plan or any other plan? Maybe I should hit the gym....I've been putting it off a bit.

Guys, I've hit a little bit of a wall in terms of weight loss. Stalled at around 110kgs/242lbs for the last two weeks not really moving. Eating a moderate amount of carbs these days. Should I try ketosis? Could I get a link for a good ketosis plan or any other plan? Maybe I should hit the gym....I've been putting it off a bit.
Do a month of: <50g carbs a day + weight training and/or cardio 3x a week.

You will see results.

dralla

What's your diet like now? And how active are you.

--

picked up Fage Total today, never had it before, compared to the Trader Joes brand, it's less fat, more protein. Same ingredients though, same cultures, kinda strange to see such a big difference in protein, I'm guessing it's something in the straining process. I like the macro breakdown better on the Fage, less calories from sugar/starch. hopefully it taste as good

Arksy

Not very active. Diet now is decent. Could be better I'm under 2k cal/day. About 30-100g carbs a day atm. I might cut that way down.

picked up Fage Total today, never had it before, compared to the Trader Joes brand, it's less fat, more protein. Same ingredients though, same cultures, kinda strange to see such a big difference in protein, I'm guessing it's something in the straining process. I like the macro breakdown better on the Fage, less calories from sugar/starch. hopefully it taste as good
A teaspoon of honey in those is amazing, if you don't throw protein powder in it.

Anyway, going to get a good jump-start on this departure from IF. Basically eliminating grains from my diet, and only getting carbohydrates from whole fruits. Also gonna keep carbs in general to under 50g a day. Looking forward to this. :)

Brinbe

Yeah, if you're hitting a bit of a wall, getting active and paying close attention to what you're consuming will definitely help. We've all been there, just be patient and you'll overcome it.

despire

Get active. Do some running at least. You can take off an hour of your day right?

I don't think it would be such a good idea to run an hour a day if he's on a 2k calorie deficit already. He's just going to burn out.

Maybe some (fasted) walking or just wait it out. I'd probably try eating something carb heavy like a pizza to see if it get's your body running again.

LaneDS

I can't tell if my body is just recompositioning or if I'm plateaued, because for the last three weeks I've completely cut out dessert (will eat fruit some days in reasonable quantities) and haven't had any processed grain in that time (no bread or wraps), and I've been doing Insanity (did two weeks where I did it every other day, and last week I did it every day) but not seeing my weight drop like I hoped it would. My diet hasn't been this strict in ages, and I haven't done such excessive cardio in a while (I did six months of P90X and P90X2 prior to this), but my weight has fluctuated between 188 and 184 (was 186 today) in the last three weeks.

It's hard to say if I'm losing body fat % (which is my ideal goal... the number on the scale doesn't matter too much to me) or not so I'm getting a little discouraged with my diet work. I'm only 5'8" so ideally I want to be in the 160s at some point.

Any feedback on what might be going on?

I've lost a solid 5kgs from doing Insanity for a few months. Feel so much stronger and better for it, too. Have only slightly fixed up my diet, so I figure if I now go in on diet I should drop another 5 easy. Awesome!

I didn't see any decent weight loss till a month in, and that was doing it nearly 5 times a week, then they just fell off.

dralla

I can't tell if my body is just recompositioning or if I'm plateaued, because for the last three weeks I've completely cut out dessert (will eat fruit some days in reasonable quantities) and haven't had any processed grain in that time (no bread or wraps), and I've been doing Insanity (did two weeks where I did it every other day, and last week I did it every day) but not seeing my weight drop like I hoped it would. My diet hasn't been this strict in ages, and I haven't done such excessive cardio in a while (I did six months of P90X and P90X2 prior to this), but my weight has fluctuated between 188 and 184 (was 186 today) in the last three weeks.

It's hard to say if I'm losing body fat % (which is my ideal goal... the number on the scale doesn't matter too much to me) or not so I'm getting a little discouraged with my diet work. I'm only 5'8" so ideally I want to be in the 160s at some point.

Any feedback on what might be going on?

Are you eating enough? You seem to be really active, a lot of times people make the mistake of eating too little if they're heavily active? I know it sounds crazy that you need to eat more to lose weight, but it's true in a lot of cases. How much carbs are you eating? Again, being that active you might want to increase it, doesn't need to be from grains of course.

And what about carb re-feed? Have you tried one?
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/carb-refeeding-and-weight-loss/#axzz29NYl6KiJ

LaneDS

I've lost a solid 5kgs from doing Insanity for a few months. Feel so much stronger and better for it, too. Have only slightly fixed up my diet, so I figure if I now go in on diet I should drop another 5 easy. Awesome!

I didn't see any decent weight loss till a month in, and that was doing it nearly 5 times a week, then they just fell off.

That is encouraging, and while I'm currently challening myself to do 30 days of "no cheat meals" (Beautiful Memory in the P90X thread's challenge to me, actually), I am going to see if I can't extend that into 60, 90, or however many days more. That plus going the full eight or nine weeks that Insanity runs might give me a more clear cut answer as to how things are going.

Are you eating enough? You seem to be really active, a lot of times people make the mistake of eating too little if they're heavily active? I know it sounds crazy that you need to eat more to lose weight, but it's true in a lot of cases. How much carbs are you eating? Again, being that active you might want to increase it, doesn't need to be from grains of course.

And what about carb re-feed? Have you tried one?
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/carb-refeeding-and-weight-loss/#axzz29NYl6KiJ

I really need to start writing down what I eat for a day, and then looking at macros. I think I'm actually getting enough calories, as my breakfast shakes (I use Lean1) come out to about 500 calories (16 oz lactose free skim milk + 3 scoops), which seems like a lot to start the day on. If anything, I'm guessing I'm probably going over in calories (even with the elevated activity level I've had for the past seven months), so I'll start logging things to see where I'm at approximately.

I've not tried a carb re-feed, but will look into it! Thanks to both of you!

Eurocult

Yes this too!

I gave up on abs long ago. Luckily, it's pretty low on the list of features women find attractive for men. So if you want them for aesthetic reasons, it's no big deal.

No, I do fine with the ladies as is, it's just a personal goal. I don't want my stomach to be too "soft" once I meet my goal weight is all.

Thanks for the tips guys.

zethren

Banned
I've limited my wheat based carb intake per day essentially to just 2 slices of whole wheat bread, because my favorite and most easily accessible lunch is a sandwhich. I make it myself, with meat, cheese and lettuce.

I still eat fruits throughout the week, though in pretty low amounts. I've also leaned how to handle temptations and cheat meals/snacks. And to up my activity for the day if I give in to temptation a little more than intended.

My diet consists mainly of protein and veggies right now. I've also elevated my activity level, though nothing crazy. Running a few times a week, lifting on occasion, and push-ups. I'm also running on less than 2k calories a day I'd say. I don't count, but I keep a basic mental image of what I consume daily.

I've never felt better, honestly. Probably in my whole life.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Would love some suggestions for breakfast as I struggle with satisfying ideas.

For context, I am doing a lot of cardio, and am eating a diet with relatively low GI products, lot of protein, roughly 2000kcal on a sports day. I'm not doing the hardcore low carbing thing because I don't find it sustainable, even if effective.

My breakfast scenario:

- busy morning, no time to heat up frying pans for eggs and bacon on weekdays
- might need to grab something to go on the way to work (London), choices include Pret, Nero, Starbucks, grocery stores
- around 500kcal budget to give an idea of portion size

My current go-to-breakfast is All-Bran with blackberries and semi-skimmed milk. Pretty low GI, some protein, fibre, incredibly satisfying texture. Love it, but would need an option for a change. Most cafes here seem to just serve high GI carb bombs, pastries and sandwiches.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You can cook scrambled eggs in five minutes or less. That's from putting the pan on the stove top, turning on the heat, cracking the eggs, salting and peppering them, stirring them up, melting some butter, and finally scrambling the eggs. The actual cooking only takes like 30 seconds to a minute.

I rarely eat breakfast these days, but when I did make it on weekdays I would go with three or four scrambled eggs, some kind of meat that didn't require cooking (landjäger, BBQ pork, leftover meat, etc.) with maybe some slices of cheese (or a bit of goat cheese) and some raw almonds.

If you really don't have time and need to take something with you. I'd suggest getting a muffin pan and making bacon wrapped eggs in advance and just heating them up in the microwave each morning.

If you don't have time to cook eggs for breakfast...you might want to restructure your day. It's a 5 min process. Go to bed 5 minutes earlier, perhaps? But if you really can't find the time, you could make a bunch of hard boiled eggs ahead of time. Also, there is some product out there that lets you microwave eggs.

In addition to eggs, I'd recommend old fashioned oatmeal. Just boil some water (you don't need much water, so it takes less than 2 min to bring to a boil) and dump it on the oats. Mix in some Truvia or Splenda, some walnuts and a handful of berries. Whole process takes 3 min.

A protein shake/smoothie is another good and easy breakfast option.

Horseticuffs

I've gotten super into Greek yogurt for breakfast lately. I just toss in some Splenda and an ounce of nuts and its awesome. A cup of the brand I use only has like 130 calories and 9 grams of sugar.

Anyone in the southeast US the Winn Dixie store brand is good stuff. No gelatin and like 14.6 cents an ounce. Good shit.

Another breakfast suggestion: Scrambling eggs a pain in the ass? Microwave the bastards.
I just crack some eggs into the bowl I'm gonna eat 'em out of, loosely put a lid over it to avoid explosions, heat at full power for 30 seconds, stir, and repeat until the right texture.

I add some mustard or tobasco sauce and another great meal.

Want something even quicker? Hard boil some eggs before bed, while you are surfing the net or something, and just save 'em in the fridge for whenever you need them. They keep really well and I just eat 'em cold with some mustard on them.

There are tons of quick and easy breakfasts. Something simple like a few handfulls of nuts or some jerky and your set.

dralla

ohh I just made some awesome strawberry yogurt. the consistency of the frozen strawberries actually made it more like an ice cream

jbzPb6eO4xUMLa.jpg
+ manual food processor =
jlRqMtbr4arZL.jpg

definitely will be adding to my regular diet, the only downside is clean up. you could also add a little sweetener if you want it. I actually tried some of the Fage plain and it wasn't too bad, maybe I'm starting to acquire the taste for it? hmm

Chittagong

Gold Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys, really helpful.

Porridge is a good one, Pret does porridge so it's easy to pick one up. Same with boiled eggs, might as well do a dozen the previous night. Easy to carry too. Protein shake, nuts, jerky and yoghurt are great all as well for the same reason.

As for scrambled eggs / omelette, really love them, but feel they are best enjoyed fresh made at home, and I usually leave too early to eat so prefer to eat in the office, whatever I can carry there.

Breakfast is really important, now proven by the means of science:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19962588

LaneDS

I actually mixed some plain Chobani with a scoop of chocolate Lean 1 last night and really enjoyed it, which is impressive considering how actively I've hated greek yogurt every other time I've tried it. Might try blending frozen strawberries as pictured above and see how that is, but it's good I'm able to enjoy it under certain conditions.

Hello blokes. Gratz to everyone on their success in here :D

I'm going to be traveling europe starting in january, and i need to accelerate my weight loss. I've started exercising ~3 times a week (a huge improvement), but I'm considering implementing Intermittent Fasting for a couple months to shake me out of my decade long habit of eating shit whenever I want, and from there proceed to something more sustainable.

Has anyone had success with IF? Is it even a healthy option to pursue?

If anyone has some good articles on the subject, I would appreciate it

Ixian

Hello blokes. Gratz to everyone on their success in here :D

I'm going to be traveling europe starting in january, and i need to accelerate my weight loss. I've started exercising ~3 times a week (a huge improvement), but I'm considering implementing Intermittent Fasting for a couple months to shake me out of my decade long habit of eating shit whenever I want, and from there proceed to something more sustainable.

Has anyone had success with IF? Is it even a healthy option to pursue?

If anyone has some good articles on the subject, I would appreciate it
I do IF, I know some others in this thread do as well.

Sites where you can read about it:
LeanGains - Probably the most popular IF model.
RippedBody.jp - Sort of a "LeanGains for dummies" site. I just finished a 12-week consultation process with the owner and he was great to work with.
EatStopEat - Another popular method where you fast for 24 hours twice a week.

I've had success with the LeanGains model, which for me, amounts to not eating breakfast and eating lunch two hours later than I used to. The hardest part, in my opinion, is when you're first starting out and your body is adjusting to your new eating schedule. After that it's smooth sailing.

sphinx

the piano man
the before pic (left, lol) is a bit old but still, I think it fits well in here. :)

beforeafterdick.jpg

Height: 5'4 inches / 1.65 cm
Highest weight: 167 pounds/76 Kg.
Current weight: 138 pounds/63 Kg.

I wasn't that big but still happy to have gotten back to my weight.

Horseticuffs

the before pic (left, lol) is a bit old but still, I think it fits well in here. :)

beforeafterdick.jpg

Height: 5'4 inches / 1.65 cm
Highest weight: 167 pounds/76 Kg.
Current weight: 138 pounds/63 Kg.

I wasn't that big but still happy to have gotten back to my weight.

Still a marked difference, and the beard really suits you as well. Congratulations on the loss!

My last weigh in, I came in at 154 lbs. I'd like to hit the nice round 150 lbs goal and then adjust things a bit to maintain my weight loss. That would be roughly 50 lbs lost since the middle of April when I started. I have a disgusting before picture. I might go ahead and post it along with a after picture when I hit my goal. This thread actually helped a lot, mainly with inspiration.

Top Bottom