• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
lol 90 lbs later I have yet to take any after pics.

I never took any "before" pics though I have some from around that time. I didn't want to have before pics around in case the whole thing blew up in my face (first time really dieting). Now regretting it.
I hear you. My "before" pic I use often is from the xmas before I even started trying.

I don't know who these people are who know they are taking before pics and actually succeed.

sinnergy

Sorry about that...my brain was auto-translating sugar to carb. Didn't have the whole context when I was replying.

P90X will definitely have you eating "healthier" carbs like whole grains and fruit and what not.

I'd basically stick to getting your carbs from things like sweet potatoes or whole grains in the P90X program. The dietary guide has a bunch of daily diet plans spelled out that you could follow directly.

34g of sugar specifically will be reached quickly if you eat a lot of fruit or greek yogurt with fruit or honey in it.

On the subject of grains, they are bad, no matter if they are whole or not. Whole grains are somewhat better, best is not to eat grains.. (they have acids that are not well processed by our bodies) this includes rice as it's also a grain. I just eat a lot less or I buy Spelt bread, Sprouted grain bread or rye bread as they are less processed, Spelt is a old grain (like it was 1000's years ago), still grains are bad ;) Eat less.

Pasta's are also made of grains, best is spelt pasta.

Also instead of putting likely processed honey in it put some fruit in your greek yogurt.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Man. My Fitness Pal says I can only have 34g of sugar.

I had a Greek yogurt and Cup of 100% pure Orange Juice this morning and I have like 1 more gram to spend today? The hell? :(

How is this stuff possible?
Because fruits and certain starches were the only ways to get sugar before and everything before 100 years ago was super tiny? :)

Eat an orange instead of drinking juice. Then water water water water.

Because fruits and certain starches were the only ways to get sugar before and everything before 100 years ago was super tiny? :)

Eat an orange instead of drinking juice. Then water water water water.

But its 100% orange :( So it'd be like the same thing :((

I'm cutting it down to half a cup in the morning from now on.

100% orange infused with a crap ton of sugar. The first rule to losing weight is to stop drinking your calories. WATER WATER WATER (tea and coffee are also fine)

Well I guess I'm confused because the P90X nutrition guide says that it is sometimes okay to drink orange juice once every few days or two.

Alright for someone on P90X.. Help me cut some stuff out :p

This is what I ate today.

LKORF.png

Breakdown was...

Breakfast
1 Fried Egg (No butter/Cooking spray)
1 Cup of Orange Juice

Snack
Greek Yogurt Strawberry

Lunch
Pei Wei Minced Chicken with Cool Lettuce Wraps (Only had the 1 serving and tossed the rest)

Snack
Kars - Roasted Slated Almonds All Natural

Dinner
Grilled Chicken Salad (Lettuce/Tomatoes only) No Dressing

Shake after workout
Optiimum Nutrition - Gold Standard 100% Whey Cookies & Cream
Mixed it with 8oz of Skim Milk

Some notes:
-I'm switching to Large Eggs. Only have 2 more Jumbo Eggs left
-I'm going to cut the Orange Juice out starting tomorrow.
-I don't plan on cutting the Yogurt out. It has a lot of Protein that I like. I may switch to a non fruit one after I'm through with these 8 packages.
-Lunch I have to eat out with my department because that is when we catch up on stuff. I plan on eating smart.. Today I tried finding the best thing and ate only 1 serving and tossed the rest. I plan on finding whatever is the healthiest option no matter where we go.
-I use Skim Milk with my protein shake because it adds protein and because it tastes like poop and makes me gag without it.

I think cutting the fruit out of the Yogurt and OJ will be a huge HUGE help. Anything else I'm missing?

I also drank like 6-8 cups of water today. Keeping that up.

I'm proud I kept myself to 1,251 calories today. MyFitnessPal says I should be doing 1700 but I'm doing less.. so yay??? I am also doing P90X every day. Started on Sunday. Just did Plyometrics today.. what a beatdown..!!

Piecake

Well I guess I'm confused because the P90X nutrition guide says that it is sometimes okay to drink orange juice once every few days or two.

Step two is eliminating sugar (not actual fruit). So say goodbye to treats, juice, pop, and any processed foods infused with HFCS

I'm sure you could still lose weight if you have a glass or two of juice while eliminating other forms of sugar, but it will take you longer and you will be less healthy.

Yea, eat plain full fat greek yogurt and just add your own fruit to it (and almonds)

Drink whole milk. Fat is good

cut those Pei Wei wraps. Personally, id just skip lunch. i dont eat breakfast or lunch anymore. Its really quite easy on a fat diet instead of a carb diet

Step two is eliminating sugar (not actual fruit). So say goodbye to treats, juice, pop, and any processed foods infused with HFCS

I'm sure you could still lose weight if you have a glass or two of juice while eliminating other forms of sugar, but it will take you longer and you will be less healthy.

I guess I'm confused because it is natural orange juice and HFCS isn't in Simply Orange.. o_O

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Alright for someone on P90X.. Help me cut some stuff out :p

This is what I ate today.

LKORF.png

Breakdown was...

Breakfast
1 Fried Egg (No butter/Cooking spray)
1 Cup of Orange Juice

Snack
Greek Yogurt Strawberry

Lunch
Pei Wei Minced Chicken with Cool Lettuce Wraps (Only had the 1 serving and tossed the rest)

Snack
Kars - Roasted Slated Almonds All Natural

Dinner
Grilled Chicken Salad (Lettuce/Tomatoes only) No Dressing

Shake after workout
Optiimum Nutrition - Gold Standard 100% Whey Cookies & Cream
Mixed it with 8oz of Skim Milk

Some notes:
-I'm switching to Large Eggs. Only have 2 more Jumbo Eggs left
-I'm going to cut the Orange Juice out starting tomorrow.
-I don't plan on cutting the Yogurt out. It has a lot of Protein that I like. I may switch to a non fruit one after I'm through with these 8 packages.
-Lunch I have to eat out with my department because that is when we catch up on stuff. I plan on eating smart.. Today I tried finding the best thing and ate only 1 serving and tossed the rest. I plan on finding whatever is the healthiest option no matter where we go.
-I use Skim Milk with my protein shake because it adds protein and because it tastes like poop and makes me gag without it.

I think cutting the fruit out of the Yogurt and OJ will be a huge HUGE help. Anything else I'm missing?

I also drank like 6-8 cups of water today. Keeping that up.

I'm proud I kept myself to 1,251 calories today. MyFitnessPal says I should be doing 1700 but I'm doing less.. so yay??? I am also doing P90X every day. Started on Sunday. Just did Plyometrics today.. what a beatdown..!!

No offense, man, but this diet looks like hell. How are you not starving throughout the day?

No offense, man, but this diet looks like hell. How are you not starving throughout the day?

That was my thought as well. I eat easily 2x+ that in a day and have no problem losing weight. Then again I am 6'5" so.

(looking again he does consume calories in him drinks which I don't do so its not as bad as at first glance)

Piecake

Personally, I never bothered to count how many calories/carbs/sugar i eat. I just make sure that I eat good healthy food (no grain, no sugar) and eat till I'm full

it seems to work

I actually felt pretty damn full the whole day.. haha

EDIT I will admit my dinner was a bit light tonight but oddly enough I was full when I was done.. So full I didn't want to eat anymore.

EDIT MOAR: Do you think switching my OJ in the morning to Milk may help? (Nevermind.. that is alot of carbs and sugar still.. ugh)

EDIT I will admit my dinner was a bit light tonight but oddly enough I was full when I was done.. So full I didn't want to eat anymore.

EDIT MOAR: Do you think switching my OJ in the morning to Milk may help?

Would be a very good option. Milk still has plenty of carbs but also has a great deal of other nutrition that it contributes.

Piecake

EDIT MOAR: Do you think switching my OJ in the morning to Milk may help?

That would be better for you, but if you want a flavored drink in the morning, drink tea

I should note.. I'm 5'11" ... With a really lanky frame but I weigh in at 170lbs and have gained about 20lbs in the past year. My gut is totally showing and I got them love handles. In fact.. my gut is showing so much that it looks like I have a beer belly now :(

My goal is to get fit.. be more active and lose the gut and the weight. Getting ripped would be great but I don't want to be huge... I just rather be more cut I guess? I don't care to be gigantic. If that were the case I'd probably just go straight to the Fitness Body Building thread and drink 2 gallons of milk a day haha :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I should note.. I'm 5'11" ... With a really lanky frame but I weigh in at 170lbs and have gained about 20lbs in the past year. My gut is totally showing and I got them love handles. In fact.. my gut is showing so much that it looks like I have a beer belly now :(

My goal is to get fit.. be more active and lose the gut and the weight. Getting ripped would be great but I don't want to be huge... I just rather be more cut I guess? I don't care to be gigantic. If that were the case I'd probably just go straight to the Fitness Body Building thread and drink 2 gallons of milk a day haha :p
You will NOT get ripped without a lot of time and sustained effort. Biggest silly worry.

That said if you are doing P90 + a caloric deficit (30 mins of P90 at your weight is about 200-280 calories from their online calculator). That would put your intake at 1000 for the day. Might be a touch low.

I'm guessing the myfitnesspal calorie number is for your target of 1lb/week?

You will NOT get ripped without a lot of time and sustained effort. Biggest silly worry.

That said if you are doing P90 + a caloric deficit (30 mins of P90 at your weight is about 200-280 calories from their online calculator). That would put your intake at 1000 for the day. Might be a touch low.

I'm guessing the myfitnesspal calorie number is for your target of 1lb/week?

Yeah Im reading more and I'm seeing my calorie intake is a bit low. I'm going to see if I can at least kick it up to 1700-1800 a day maybe starting tomorrow. (No clue how I'm going to do that haha)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah Im reading more and I'm seeing my calorie intake is a bit low. I'm going to see if I can at least kick it up to 1700-1800 a day maybe starting tomorrow. (No clue how I'm going to do that haha)
If you are comfortable eating the amount you are now (calorie wise).
I'd add in some milk if you like that, eat more than 1 egg for breakfast (Seriously come on!). Add a pinch of cheese / beans in there. Toss in some almonds, pretend you are Emril.

Did you eat your salad with no dressing btw? Oil and dressing can be big adders. So can not counting the nuts you use.

Working your way up slowly is fine to see what is ok for you. No need to jump that high if you feel forced to eat that much. See how working with 1500 affects your decisions for a while and if you have enough energy. If you feel lacking at lunch, maybe have a brunch snack.

These cheap consumer bodyfat measuring scales won't work if that's what you are after. The results are too imprecise due to limited tech.

I'd recommend getting a regular scale without any gimmicks if you don't want to spend too much money.

Thanks for the advice, I ended up just ordering a relatively simple scale to replace my broken one.

Miutsu

Guys and gals, I wanna know how do you eat/cook your eggs, I've read some stuff about egg oxidation and I wanna be informed so I know how to not fuck up my breakfast (and my body).

Horseticuffs

Guys and gals, I wanna know how do you eat/cook your eggs, I've read some stuff about egg oxidation and I wanna be informed so I know how to not fuck up my breakfast (and my body).
I used to scramble a ton, but now I just hard-boil them and put mustard on them. One of my favorite treats!

Miutsu

I used to scramble a ton, but now I just hard-boil them and put mustard on them. One of my favorite treats!

Did you stop scrambling them because of the oxidation issue or just preference?

Is it ok to hard-boil the eggs and save them in the refrigerator to eat later or does that bring problems too?

I currently eat them scrambled for breakfast.

Over easy (complete with the sassy wrist-flip!)

Scrambled every so often.

By the way fellas, an over easy egg on a baked potato with bacon is absolutely heavenly.

dralla

Eggs fried in butter or coconut oil, with shredded coconut mixed in, so fucking good.

So I just got back from my 6 month surgery check up and my surgeon basically said I was the fastest healer he'd ever seen, than he asked me about my diet and stuff. I told him all about paleo and gave him MDA, he said he would try it with patients who've been struggling with weight, it was awesome. but he's part of the anti-fat group, so I'm not sure how it's gonna work lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Eggs fried in butter or coconut oil, with shredded coconut mixed in, so fucking good.

So I just got back from my 6 month surgery check up and my surgeon basically said I was the fastest healer he'd ever seen, than he asked me about my diet and stuff. I told him all about paleo and gave him MDA, he said he would try it with patients who've been struggling with weight, it was awesome. but he's part of the anti-fat group, so I'm not sure how it's gonna work lol

I really don't understand how you can be a doctor--be that intelligent--and still somehow think fats are bad. There's like zero compelling evidence in support of the anti-fat camp and with good reason.

dralla

he was my surgeon, not my doctor. my doctor was anti-fat too though lol. Doctors aren't specialized in nutrition either, so you gotta keep that in mind. but yes, it can be incredibly frustrating when they tell me to cut back on the fat 2 seconds after they tell me how healthy I am

Oh and I forgot to mention in my egg post: I'm down to 215 lbs, according to the scale at the student health center! :D
I really don't understand how you can be a doctor--be that intelligent--and still somehow think fats are bad. There's like zero compelling evidence in support of the anti-fat camp and with good reason.
Quacks, etc

Mayyhem

What do you guys think about MTS Nutrition Whey Protein? from tigerfitness.com

I've heard from some people that it's good, and I'm thinking about ordering some.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry I wasted your time guys. I'm not ready to lose weight, and I don't know when I'll ever be. It's been one day and I'm already eating a lot and disregarding my diet. I get pumped for a few hours, go to bed, wake up and forget about it. It's always the diet that fucks me over. I seriously have no willpower at all. I almost finished Phase 2 of p90x a few months ago, but probably gained weight because I didn't eat healthily.

I don't know what it takes anymore. The one time I lost weight was when I was obsessed with this girl, and I had to starve myself. Now my girlfriend dumped me, and I'm feeling no real will to change. Maybe I should have posted this fucking rant in the Depression thread, but I think my depression is directly related to my weight. I always wanted to be fit, it just sucks that I cry and moan about it and don't do anything serious about it.

Onemic

I'm sorry I wasted your time guys. I'm not ready to lose weight, and I don't know when I'll ever be. It's been one day and I'm already eating a lot and disregarding my diet. I get pumped for a few hours, go to bed, wake up and forget about it. It's always the diet that fucks me over. I seriously have no willpower at all. I almost finished Phase 2 of p90x a few months ago, but probably gained weight because I didn't eat healthily.

I don't know what it takes anymore. The one time I lost weight was when I was obsessed with this girl, and I had to starve myself. Now my girlfriend dumped me, and I'm feeling no real will to change. Maybe I should have posted this fucking rant in the Depression thread, but I think my depression is directly related to my weight. I always wanted to be fit, it just sucks that I cry and moan about it and don't do anything serious about it.

Im in the same situation as you man. I actually made my goal of losing weight 2 years back, but gained it all back(all 90lb of it) within the last year. I don't know how to channel that willpower back again.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I never had to begin with. It was a stroke of luck that I fell into depression when I had a crush on my ex before I got with her. It was the only thing that drove me to lose that weight, just to look good for her. Now I have goals, and things to strive for if I lose weight, but they're not good enough to help me lose it. It looks I love food more than anything else. It's just so overwhelming.

Well good luck. I was the same way for a long time.

Then I talked myself into believe that I WAS going to lose weight. It was not optional. There was no "if" or "maybe". I set a start date.....and boom 90 lbs gone. My motivation was that I am about to graduate and at the weight I was....I wouldn't have hired myself.

(I do virtually no exercise personally....dieting is hard enough for all that extra effort....I can worry about getting cut later)

The biggest thing for me when I actually was able to finally lose weight was simply not letting any of the food I shouldn't be eating in the house. I live alone right now so that's relatively easy for me, but stopping myself from buying junk is much easier than resisting eating it.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
The biggest thing for me when I actually was able to finally lose weight was simply not letting any of the food I shouldn't be eating in the house. I live alone right now so that's relatively easy for me, but stopping myself from buying junk is much easier than resisting eating it.

Well, I still live with parents and siblings so that's not happening.

Piecake

scrambled in butter with chopped spinach and red onions mixed in

Amazingly delicious

If im feeling lazy, i just cook em in the microwave

Horseticuffs

The thing for me was that I was married and comfortable and getting laid regularly so I just stopped giving a fuck and before I knew it BAM! 350LBS.

It was only after my marriage was fucked when I finally was like "Broseph, you are never gonna have anything good in your short, sad life if you don't change this shit.".

I think everyone who is legitimately inspired to lose has some trigger event to where it's eventually easier to just lose it than stay that way.

I wish you dudes all the luck in the world. Even if you think now isn't the right time from you, maybe stick around the thread and soak it up. You never know when it'll stick.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Most of us have gone through this at least a few times.

It wasn't until I discovered that everything I thought I knew was bullshit that losing weight became effortless.

Just make sure you don't fall into the trap of thinking that all you need to do is eat less and move more. You'll just end up hating yourself when you inevitably fail (unless you're someone with insane willpower and actually succeed). Come back when you're ready to completely change what you eat.

I imagine living with other people who buy garbage and keep it in the house would make things more difficult, though.

Make gradual changes in your lifestyle, and make changes that are sustainable. There's no need to punish yourself for messing up. Just try harder the next day.

The way that was the easiest for me to lose weight was to exercise regularly, but most of all, cutting out excessive consumption of high-carb/high-fat snack foods and trying not to eat out as much. I was pretty sloppy with my diet, actually, and ate out several times during the weekends. But then I adjusted the rest of my day accordingly. I didn't need to eat something all the time. MyFitnessPal really helped control what my intake was. Nothing too impressive, but I went from around 195 lbs at my heaviest down to 160 lbs in a year or so. I had several weeks interspersed in-between where I completely fucked up and ate whatever.

Learning to not overeat (which I did with everything since I was a binge eater) and merely substituting out foods and making more home-cooked meals with vegetables helped. I never went low-carb, but I definitely restricted my carbs (particularly the more refined ones). (inb4anti-carbGAF: As a type-1 diabetic, too much protein or fat can be dangerous for me as well; carbs are still necessary in my diet.)

There's nothing shameful with messing up. Appreciate the steps you've taken towards changing your life. Even baby steps are important. No need to give up. Just try again. And do it for yourself; for your own physical and mental health. Make sure you're taking steps to address your issues--because they will be what set you back on your new path--but the changes in your lifestyle will also contribute to a better well-being.

I used to be the exact same way, though. I used to suddenly get a wave of inspiration and then I'd feel defeated a day or two after. But you get there eventually.

Horseticuffs

Good points, everyone. It's important to realize that we all screw up and get weak on occasion. We all fall down sometimes.

You just have to pick yourself back up, dust yourself off, and realize that wishing for a change never got anyone anywhere. You have to be that change.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Good points, everyone. It's important to realize that we all screw up and get weak on occasion. We all fall down sometimes.

You just have to pick yourself back up, dust yourself off, and realize that wishing for a change never got anyone anywhere. You have to be that change.

It's not sometimes, it's all the time. I'm just not gonna even try anymore.

Horseticuffs

It's not sometimes, it's all the time. I'm just not gonna even try anymore.

Well man, just try not to write the idea off forever. Maybe every day start off by taking stock of how you fucked up yesterday and try to keep it in the back of your head all day.

They say it takes around 3 weeks for a conscious act to become habit. I've been working on my posture and ergonomics for a few months now and, while I still don't always lift shit the safe way, I've gotten to the point where I can tell immediately afterwards when I've messed up and keep vigilant for awhile each time it happens.

If that happened often enough I know that it'll become automatic because it'll just be habit pretty soon.

If you get to a point where you can catch yourself messing up often enough you will eventually just stop the negative behavior.

Well, it's your life but you're still so young and I hate to see people give up. It may take months to see a change, but if you quit now you will never see one and you really deserve happiness, man.

Top Bottom