• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Depends a lot on the person. Some peoples never will. Make sure to keep skin moisturized.....usually if it hasn't firmed within 6 months to a year its not going to happen.

Ok, luckily we're talking about a skinfold tiny enough that would probably "fill out" if I gained lean mass over time but obviously the most desirable situation would be that it becomes more firm over the coming months.

So no more heavy drinking on a LC diet for me :\ Anyone else experience this

I gave up drinking starting my low carb diet. Could barely drink a sip of alcohol without feeling like shit, hangovers felt ten times worse and a large assortment of drinks contain as much/more sugar than your average soda pop.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Went clothes shopping on Sunday and I discovered that I'm now down to a 31 pants size. I don't think I've ever been below 32 before in my life.

It's a good feeling.

Gintamen

Went clothes shopping on Sunday and I discovered that I'm now down to a 31 pants size. I don't think I've ever been below 32 before in my life.

It's a good feeling.
I'm in the same situation, exactly the same. XD For a long time I didn't knew I would ever get into a 32. Kinda depressing when the quads go massive, while the waist is far too small for the waistband.-_- Yet I would never trade them for those skinny '4 inch' thighs I see in college everyday.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I think I dropped one pants size. On a whim i ordered a size 40 jeans, i used to wear 44 and now the 40w fit. I know i should not make too much out of it. but i am glad it can fit me. going to the gym straight from work seems to be working for me.

It's a good feeling.

I would be in bliss if i could fit into a 32 waist. congrats.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Good job on the size drops, all. I recently bought a 34 I'm hoping to fit into by Valentine's day so a 31 is totally a dream as yet.

I'm currently a 38, might be 36 now but no way to test.
Edit: just got the size 34 "dream jeans" over my hips and ass =D I couldn't do that a week and a half ago!

Now...about zipping them so I don't end up on some government list where I have tell people when I move into a neighborhood...

Maybe in 10 more pounds.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I'm in the same situation, exactly the same. XD For a long time I didn't knew I would ever get into a 32. Kinda depressing when the quads go massive, while the waist is far too small for the waistband.-_- Yet I would never trade them for those skinny '4 inch' thighs I see in college everyday.

Yup. My biggest problem is that I have relatively muscular legs and finding a set of small pants that would go above my calves is a challenge at times. Funnily enough the chinos that I bought not only fit beautifully (there's even a bit of room on the waist making me think reaching a size 30 is perfectly doable) but they're a "slim fit" at that.

I think I dropped one pants size. On a whim i ordered a size 40 jeans, i used to wear 44 and now the 40w fit. I know i should not make too much out of it. but i am glad it can fit me. going to the gym straight from work seems to be working for me.

I would be in bliss if i could fit into a 32 waist. congrats.

First of, congratulations on dropping a couple of sizes. It's an achievement no matter how you slice it. Secondly I was a size 38 when I started losing weight in March. That's not far from where you are now. There's nothing stopping you getting to a size 32 next year. You've already dropped some weight so keep up the good work and you'll get there.

EDIT: Congrats to you too, Horseticuffs.

I don't have many pictures of me during college because I was self conscious. But I gained a good 20-30 lbs simply through partying too much and drinking heavily. Alcohol is highly caloric and I didn't realize that at the time.
_.jpg

party.jpg

Once I got bored of partying, started taking my academics a little more seriously, and stopped drinking so much, I lost all the weight.

1253754556058.jpg

flamenco3.jpg

Very nice. :) Glad you achieved success.

On another topic. I have had to cut nuts out of my diet. All summer (when I started my diet) I would have intermittent abdominal discomfort and pain. Figured it was something to do with my body adjusting to diet. Eventually it went away (about the time fall semester started) and I figured it was over.....turns out it was just because I stopped buying nuts (too poor lol). Purchased some the other day and have been extremely uncomfortable ever since.

So depressing....I love me some Cashews and Almonds....

harSon

Banned
So no more heavy drinking on a LC diet for me :\ Anyone else experience this?

On a plus side the water weight bloat is gone after 3 days back in ketosis made the new clothes that I had purchase fit perfectly again when they were starting to feel tight after my break from the diet, straddling the L/XL range sucks!

No beer, but you can have vodka, rum, gin, tequila, whiskey, scotch, brandy and cognac. Be careful of Mixed Drinks due to the typically carb heavy stuff they add to them, and in terms of chasers, you're pretty much restricted to water and diet drinks/sodas. Some wines can be low-carb as well.

I did my heaviest drinking from 2010 to 2012 (at least every Friday and Saturday, sometimes more), which coincides with the period where I lost 160 pounds, so it's more than possible to not sacrifice drinking while LC dieting.

The only issue are drinking games link Beer Pong, but people were more than willing to let me drink straight liquour in place of a swallow of beer lol.

One warning though. Your reasoning tends to go out the window when you're drunk/wasted, and I sometimes I found myself in some fastfood joint at 2 in the morning with friends. So while you may be good on the liquour front, the drunken food urges you get might kill you :p

5amshift

Banned
So GAF, I plan on hitting the gym again after buying myself a membership instead of using a friends guest passes. I really want to lose the weight, but not get huge muscles in the process. What is a good diet for this?

I plan on biking, running, working on my abs, and arms. Also, I want to lose weight in my face, ass and stomach mainly, so anything involving fat loss is a plus.

grumble

So GAF, I plan on hitting the gym again after buying myself a membership instead of using a friends guest passes. I really want to lose the weight, but not get huge muscles in the process. What is a good diet for this?

I plan on biking, running, working on my abs, and arms. Also, I want to lose weight in my face, ass and stomach mainly, so anything involving fat loss is a plus.

Hi,

A few comments.

First off, it's very challenging to get huge muscles. Lifting even fairly heavy weights for a while will not suddenly make you enormous. It's extremely difficult to do, and weightlifting is a great idea for you to do. Everyone looks better with a little muscle on them, and it's both healthy and a great way to burn some calories (weightlifting burns plenty of them).

Second, I'd recommend if you do choose a routine to focus on the weights first, and do a full body routine for a while. It burns more calories and it'll give you a balanced appearance.

Third, you can't spot reduce fat, but that's okay. Just lose it all over.

Fourth, there are lots of good diets, but they all have a couple of things in common. They're all high in protein, as it's nutritious and keeps you full. Second, none of them have a lot of sugar or simple carbs in them. Cutting out sugary drinks, trying to cut down on booze intake, eating more meat and veggies and skipping the junk food and desserts will do wonders.

Petrie

Banned

Don't worry, you won't get huge muscles. I'm amazed people think that will happen by accident, when in fact it takes years of hard work and dedication.

big_z

Don't worry, you won't get huge muscles. I'm amazed people think that will happen by accident, when in fact it takes years of hard work and dedication.

While looking up something about insanity I came across a thread of a bunch of women complaining they arent losing weight. Turned out a bunch of them weren't doing anything that involved leg work(70% of the exercises) because they don't want legs like the women in the videos.

Don't know how this happened but was in Vegas for 4 days and did a trip to SF 2 days prior. SF was for work. Vegas was leisure.

I ate at buffets and just didn't keep track. Also drank alcohol. I somehow managed to lose 5lbs when I got home. What the...

I did walk crap tons in Vegas though. Probably 5 miles over 4 days.

Don't know how this happened but was in Vegas for 4 days and did a trip to SF 2 days prior. SF was for work. Vegas was leisure.

I ate at buffets and just didn't keep track. Also drank alcohol. I somehow managed to lose 5lbs when I got home. What the...

Happens all the time when I go home for the weekend, or on holidays. I stuffed myself and lost 3 lbs over thanksgiving.

I think the body just gets shocked into action by the change of routine/diet.

Corky

Its insulting to the hard work people put in how easy others think it is to get huge muscles. Lol

Are you telling me that if I pick up a weight and then put it down I won't have to worry about looking like that synthol guy? *breathes sigh of relief*

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Get back to logging then!

I logged my buffets at Vegas (Just tacked 1800 calories onto MFP)

It can happen for sure. Bodies are funny. Lot of walking and calories? BURN EVERYTHING.

I think I lost 2lbs after Thanksgiving last year.

Log4Girlz

I don't have many pictures of me during college because I was self conscious. But I gained a good 20-30 lbs simply through partying too much and drinking heavily. Alcohol is highly caloric and I didn't realize that at the time.
_.jpg

party.jpg

Once I got bored of partying, started taking my academics a little more seriously, and stopped drinking so much, I lost all the weight.

1253754556058.jpg

flamenco3.jpg

Nice.

So here's goes another attempt at losing weight for me. :/ Sigh. Fuck my willpower.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
hey, weight loss gaf, my quest to lose weight has hit a snag, its winter and I am craving all kinds of fatty and stodgy food, what healthy foods are good to eat to satisfy my cravings.

I am still going the gym jsut as much but I have made any significant loses, I have just my weight level.

Corky

hey, weight loss gaf, my quest to lose weight has hit a snag, its winter and I am craving all kinds of fatty and stodgy food, what healthy foods are good to eat to satisfy my cravings.

I am still going the gym jsut as much but I have made any significant loses, I have just my weight level.

You take a base of brie-cheese, slice some figs, put some walnuts on it and drizzle a negligible amount of honey on it, put it in the oven until melted and you got your ass some healthy, tasty, satiating food.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
You take a base of brie-cheese, slice some figs, put some walnuts on it and drizzle a negligible amount of honey on it, put it in the oven until melted and you got your ass some healthy, tasty, satiating food.

that sounds lovely, might have to try that.

EDIT: to weightloss GAF:

also, seeing as I am lifting some weights, Protien Bars/shakes yes or no?

or just eat more meat..
cheers for any help :)

that sounds lovely, might have to try that.

EDIT: to weightloss GAF:

also, seeing as I am lifting some weights, Protien Bars/shakes yes or no?

or just eat more meat..
cheers for any help :)

I'd do the shakes...but the bars you'll have to check..

Some of those bars have really high carbs if I'm not mistaken, which can lead to a slowdown in weight loss?

Petrie

Banned
I'd do the shakes...but the bars you'll have to check..

Some of those bars have really high carbs if I'm not mistaken, which can lead to a slowdown in weight loss?

You're better off making your own protein bars to be frank, the pre-packaged ones tend to have a pretty lousy nutritional profile.

I've lost a bit more weight in the weeks since I last posted here. I'm now down to 144, surprising considering I made it through holiday meals and weddings receptions I bought a treadmill, which I use to run 3 - 4 miles, 4 or 5 times a week because the weather is now too cold and it's night by the time I get home from work now. Jogging outside won't be an option until spring. I haven't really adjusted my diet too much since I hit my original target of 150 lbs. I've still been resisting going to the gym for weight training, though it should be my next step. I still have a stubborn belly that just won't go away but I do feel proud of what I was able to accomplish. Maybe the hardest thing I ever forced myself to do.

5amshift

Banned
Hey Grumble,

Would you suggest basically just doing all cardio every time I attend the gym for a couple weeks? I plan on going 3 times a week to start, then hopefully get to 4. I have been looking up protein stuff, and whey protein, which a friend has and it seems right for me. I plan on cutting soda and junk food for awhile until I see results, then even I can consider eating it in moderation.

Say I went to a convenience store, what snack would be good to have instead of say..gummy worms or something.

Petrie

Banned
Say I went to a convenience store, what snack would be good to have instead of say..gummy worms or something.

I know you asked someone else, but sunflower seeds are an excellent choice that keep you busy for hours with minimal calories.

Not the kernels, the whole seeds. The work to eat them keeps you busy.

Sallokin

Eugh, I've really been hitting a wall lately. Been stuck at 205-208 for a few weeks now. Just can't seem to drop any more weight or make progress. Short of killing myself in the gym I just don't know what to do anymore. Not really asking a question I suppose lol, just venting.

flippedb

Banned
I love Weight-Loss GAF so much. Keep it up guys! It's truly amazing to see the determination you guys have, I know you can make it to your goals.

Godspeed people!

mooooose

I've been stuck at 140 to 142 for weeks because my willpower is so shitty. Not horribly shitty I guess. I eat well for most of the time and then eat cookies and cake or fast food and that bumps up my total calories/macros to maintenance. I keep fucking it up. I want abs, goddammit.

Petrie

Banned
I've been stuck at 140 to 142 for weeks because my willpower is so shitty. Not horribly shitty I guess. I eat well for most of the time and then eat cookies and cake or fast food and that bumps up my total calories/macros to maintenance. I keep fucking it up. I want abs, goddammit.

This is so the worst time of year to go for abs. Too many delicious treats.

big_z

Eugh, I've really been hitting a wall lately. Been stuck at 205-208 for a few weeks now. Just can't seem to drop any more weight or make progress. Short of killing myself in the gym I just don't know what to do anymore. Not really asking a question I suppose lol, just venting.

Try taking a week off(enjoy Christmas goodies) then when you start again make sure you are eating no more than your calorie limit. Re-measure your portions to be sure.

If you've been going at it consistently for some time you might be burned out. A short break and double checking portions worked for me when I hit a similar roadblock.

Sallokin

Try taking a week off(enjoy Christmas goodies) then when you start again make sure you are eating no more than your calorie limit. Re-measure your portions to be sure.

If you've been going at it consistently for some time you might be burned out. A short break and double checking portions worked for me when I hit a similar roadblock.

Thanks, I think this is sound advice =)

I honestly wonder if portion control could be the culprit here. It's not something I generally track since I tend to eat strictly vegetarian, but I think recently I've been more carby than I have in the past 6 months.

black_13

Banned

Trying to lose weight at 140? Damn are you really short or what?

Thanks, I think this is sound advice =)

I honestly wonder if portion control could be the culprit here. It's not something I generally track since I tend to eat strictly vegetarian, but I think recently I've been more carby than I have in the past 6 months.

Start a food journal. It helps so much. Especially if you add up the calories at the end of the day. Then you start automatically avoiding things to not go over your daily intake limit.

Sallokin

Start a food journal. It helps so much. Especially if you add up the calories at the end of the day. Then you start automatically avoiding things to not go over your daily intake limit.

I think I will, thanks. I'm sorely disappointed that I probably won't hit my goal of being under 200 by the new year.

Hackbert

One year has almost passed....
me16jj7.png

repost from the new look xyz thread...
went out trying on contact lenses. weird feel.
and the old me. not taken this year, but the weight was there starting 01.01.2012
fatmen4kz7.png

Gintamen

Can't decide what do do right now. For one I want to lose some more BF for a challenge I started last month, which will end in another months times. 72kg/158.4lbs with ca 10/11kg fat at 5'9''. Yet I don't want it to hinder my strength additions and I am kinda tempted to bulk for a bit, which seems like a silly idea after just loosing so much weight in the past months. Will it be very hard to keep the progress up while staying around calorie need? My metabolism(yeah I know in reality it isn't much, let me dream on) seems to be pretty good right now, not gaining much/nearly nothing after some good refeed days at the weekends though. Hm maybe my reply has become to convulted already, I just don't want to stress my body with different strategies within a short time too much, have to decide which way to go.

Top Bottom