• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

SeanR1221

Interesting. Did you just saute the broccoli? Also what is salmon spread? Only thing I'd worry is that my breath would smell like fish all day at work. :p

I buy my broccoli frozen in bulk so I boiled it a little then sauted it in the coconut oil.

Here is the salmon spread. It's basically mashed up salmon. I got it at Costco.

BHB_2lbSalmonSpread_0.jpg

BHB_8ozBSS-WILD.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Another vote to cut out juices. Seriously try to get as few calories from liquids as you can. It's just a waste of calories.

LosDaddie

Banned
Yup. The best drinks are water (#1), tea, and coffee. Stick to those if you're serious about losing weight.

Soda (real and diet) are probably the worst, with fruit juices coming a close second because of their perceived healthiness. Juices aren't that 'horrible' for you if you have a small glass after a work-out or something, but a tall glass of OJ for breakfast? Nah, brah.

Why?

And i definitely eat enough food during the evening to cover missing breakfast and lunch. I do it because i dont feel hungry in the morning and afternoon, so why force myself? And making breakfast and lunch is a pain in the ass when you have to get to work

Are you exercising at all? One meal a day does seem like too little to me, as well.

Srsly

Banned
If your goal is hypertrophy and you're working out accordingly then sure. If it's fat loss then no.

There's nothing wrong with chocolate milk after working out even if you're trying to lose fat. Milk is a great source of protein and the carbs will go to replenish glycogen stores (yes, even the dreaded fructose).

Dash27

For what purpose? After resistance training I can see it. After cardio/endurance I dont see why you'd want calories from a liquid source with sugar.

You can drink it, it's not "bad" per se but there's no reason special reason for it either.

Piecake

Yup. The best drinks are water (#1), tea, and coffee. Stick to those if you're serious about losing weight.

Soda (real and diet) are probably the worst, with fruit juices coming a close second because of their perceived healthiness. Juices aren't that 'horrible' for you if you have a small glass after a work-out or something, but a tall glass of OJ for breakfast? Nah, brah.

Are you exercising at all? One meal a day does seem like too little to me, as well.

Nope, and im not eating just one meal. I just eat all my food at night

mackattk

Have you talked to your wife about it? Get her on board, it will make things a lot easier if you have someone to support you. You should sit down and come up with a solid plan, if you're going to try low-carb, do some research and find good options for you, make a shopping list, come up with meal ideas, get rid of things in your house that'll make you fall off the wagon again, things like that. Figure out why you fell off the first time and do everything you can to make sure it doesn't happen again. Find some sort of motivation, I know that's easier said than done, but think of your wedding pictures and how they make you feel. Maybe kids down the road, don't you want to be able to healthy and able to play with them. You should enjoy eating, that will also make it easier.

Didn't see this earlier. It was my wife's birthday and we stayed up at a cabin for the weekend. It was a nice, relaxing vacation.. It is just what we needed to get away from everything for a little while. But now that we are back home it is time to start buckling down on this thing. I have told my wife, and we are looking into some diets that will work for both of us. It will be a variation of the low carb, but we just need to figure out a plan and stick with it. Once we get that squared away we can start looking at different meals to make, and make enough to have leftovers for the next day.

I'm down to 214 lbs, as of today. Was 220 lbs in November... it's getting really hard to cut, but I'm staying focused! Didn't quite make my goal of 210 lbs by new year's day, but I'm so close I can taste it! :D

XenodudeX

I drink fruit juice and I continue to lose weight. No need to cut it. Just moderate it.

If you're consistently working out, drinking a cup of fruit juice each day isn't going to somehow ruin everything.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
As you all well know, on occasion people will share recipes. Recently for breakfast I've been cooking oatmeal (1 cup) and then leaving it to soak overnight in around a 1/2 cup of yogurt.

When I get up for breakfast it's become this big, awesome bowl of awesomeness. I eat it cold, right out of the fridge, and it's satisfying and indulgent in a way almost like a dessert.

Really the only issue here is the sugar which, with my yogurt, is 16g a 1/2 cup and nearly half my daily allowance. I find this breakfast to be worth it, though, plus all the fiber from the oats should slow your body's absorption of the sugar enough to prevent spiking. You could always use less yogurt, too.

A positively cracking breakfast that helps you keep going, or a nice little treat if you find yourself with a good deal of calories and sugar left over in your daily allotment and want something that'll satisfy.

Mieu

Can you help me out?

I have this challenge of budgeting and knowing what to cook. Do you know of any easy-to-prepare recipes that is not too oily. I really feel guilty when i order food from those fast food chains.

Also, how do you make vinaigrette?

Can you help me out?

I have this challenge of budgeting and knowing what to cook. Do you know of any easy-to-prepare recipes that is not too oily. I really feel guilty when i order food from those fast food chains.

Well, it all depends on how much oil you use. For example, watch Jamie Oliver - this will massacre your body. I cannot believe a guy saying so much about eating healthy pours so much shit on the food.

Rule of thumb - no more than one table spoon of oil to make a meal. Trust me it is enough.

As for recipe - try to get pork neck, cut out the fat pieces. Fry with oil and garlic, drop cut brocolli, add oyster sauce. Make rice on the side.

Issun23

An update on my progress. Started at 125kg (275lbs) in August.

I lost weight very quickly at the beginning and then slowed down a notch. I kept to my low carb diet (vegetables, pure olive oil, chicken, turkey, tuna, salmon, cod etc.) and exercise schedule and I'm 93kg (205lbs) now.

Can't believe I have almost made it to my first goal (90kg).

Gintamen

I drink fruit juice and I continue to lose weight. No need to cut it. Just moderate it.
The bolded part is the magic word, totally don't understand the dam national of fruit juices unless you gulp don't a whole liter a day. A glass or two will never hurt and some people that just have no appetite can get their daily kcal(even deficit) by drinking them. Example:my mother. :p

I cannot believe a guy saying so much about eating healthy pours so much shit on the food.

Rule of thumb - no more than one table spoon of oil to make a meal. Trust me it is enough.
Is that envy? And how dare you call it shit, you're willingly eating shit? Oo

While it's enough to give flavour, some just like more of it and why shouldn't they? Those that use oil obviously know that it's packed with calories...

Hackbert

ugh, everytime my mother cooks, i now realize how fatty and oily everything is. it tastes still great, but much less would be better for the overall taste. yuk.

Same goes for dressing. Some people just eat dressing with a bit of lettuce it seems. gross. (all my personal opinion XD)...

just cleared out my wardrobe... 3 big bags which go to the second hand shop. or red cross. will see
2013-01-06%2012.39.47.jpg

ps : not my room sadly hehe. flatmates

Is that envy? And how dare you call it shit, you're willingly eating shit? Oo

While it's enough to give flavour, some just like more of it and why shouldn't they? Those that use oil obviously know that it's packed with calories...

No. 90% of people watching cooking shows will never, ever look at calorie label. As to why shouldn't you be pouring lots of oil on your food? Pure fat, that's why. You can as well be eating junk food, the calorie count and composition would be pretty close.

dralla

No. 90% of people watching cooking shows will never, ever look at calorie label. As to why shouldn't you be pouring lots of oil on your food? Pure fat, that's why. You can as well be eating junk food, the calorie count and composition would be pretty close.

depends on the oil you use, certain oils are great for you, comparing them to junk food would be pretty dumb.

DiddyBop

fruit Juice by itself may be bad but I have a smoothie every morning that I dont think is too bad. I add half a banana, strawberries, blueberries, plain yogurt, and a bit of water. pretty sure the fiber/sugar ration balances out since all those fruits have fiber in them

Dash27

An update on my progress. Started at 125kg (275lbs) in August.

I lost weight very quickly at the beginning and then slowed down a notch. I kept to my low carb diet (vegetables, pure olive oil, chicken, turkey, tuna, salmon, cod etc.) and exercise schedule and I'm 93kg (205lbs) now.

Can't believe I have almost made it to my first goal (90kg).

Nice job. Do you think you'll have trouble keeping up with that way of eating or were you planning to change when you hit your goal?

harSon

Banned
Unsweetened almond milk after a workout.
With a scoop of chocolate whey.

Yup.

The Unsweeted Vanilla Almond Milk from Trader Joes to be specific. It's by far the best tasting of all the Almond Milks I've tasted.

fruit Juice by itself may be bad but I have a smoothie every morning that I dont think is too bad. I add half a banana, strawberries, blueberries, plain yogurt, and a bit of water. pretty sure the fiber/sugar ration balances out since all those fruits have fiber in them

That's still a ton of sugar between the fruit and the yogurt.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You're saying fat is junk food? Interesting opinion...

First time posting here, but I feel I'd like to step in, I'll get a new photo later to post with my older one, just working out now.

Sept 2012: Fiance cheated on my for half a year, took all that anger and negative energy and decided to do something extremely positive with it.

Sept 2012 weight: 218lbs. Activity level of zero.

January 2013 weight: 165lbs. Plenty of muscle, active daily.

Highlights:

> Absolutely zero fast food. Not a even a single fry.
> Nothing to drink other than water, and the very rare glass of wine/rum.

Feel better than I ever have. Always lurked these threads, finally feel happy enough to post. Only a little more fat to drop and those abs are going to be showing proud!

berg ark

I usually drick 4-5 cups of black tea every day. English breakfast. Two teaspoons of tea, then water. Then maybe four teaspoons of milk.

How healthy is this? All the milk might add up to one glass a day. I don't drink any other milk. Are there calories in tea?

I've cut out juices and similar liquids, but the posts above sparked my interest: does anyone know this about tea?

harSon

Banned
I usually drick 4-5 cups of black tea every day. English breakfast. Two teaspoons of tea, then water. Then maybe four teaspoons of milk.

How healthy is this? All the milk might add up to one glass a day. I don't drink any other milk. Are there calories in tea?

I've cut out juices and similar liquids, but the posts above sparked my interest: does anyone know this about tea?

I'm pretty sure the tea itself is fine, but the additives (Milk and Sugar) are what can make it bad. But if it's only adding up to 1 glass over the course of the day, then I suppose things could be worst. Maybe add something like Almond milk instead? I know tea is actually healthy in moderation, but I'm not sure if that remains true when you up the servings. Somebody else is going to have to answer that.

Issun23

Nice job. Do you think you'll have trouble keeping up with that way of eating or were you planning to change when you hit your goal?

It's funny but even though I don't get food cravings anymore, I actually look more forward to meals now than I did before changing my diet.

I can't really see myself returning to consuming sugars or excessive amounts of carbohydrates even after I reach my ultimate goal (85kg). I'm guessing I'll eventually have to increase carb intake a little to stop weight loss so I'll just eat carb-richer fruit and vegetables.

black_13

Banned
First time posting here, but I feel I'd like to step in, I'll get a new photo later to post with my older one, just working out now.

Sept 2012: Fiance cheated on my for half a year, took all that anger and negative energy and decided to do something extremely positive with it.

Sept 2012 weight: 218lbs. Activity level of zero.

January 2013 weight: 165lbs. Plenty of muscle, active daily.

Highlights:

> Absolutely zero fast food. Not a even a single fry.
> Nothing to drink other than water, and the very rare glass of wine/rum.

Feel better than I ever have. Always lurked these threads, finally feel happy enough to post. Only a little more fat to drop and those abs are going to be showing proud!

Woah that's almost exactly what I did. I started at 218, except I started in the spring but I'm stuck at 175 for a while now. Did the same things, no fast food and mostly water. Have to start trying intermediate fasting to get rid of the last 10 lbs as 165 was my goal.
Sorry to hear about the ex though. Although those are exactly the things that gets one motivated to become better. I did the same as I was in a similar messed up situation.

Gintamen

It's not my fault if 90% don't have a basic knowledge about nutrition. Also, let's not exaggerate percentages, people should damn know that it's (like) fluid fat.

depends on the oil you use, certain oils are great for you, comparing them to junk food would be pretty dumb.
It is dumb, nothing to argue about that. Both have high calorie counts, nobody should be surprised by that information.

Anybody got some tips what to do with a pumpkin, aside from making it into a soup or cake? Oiled some parts and put them in the oven, added some spices later on, was relatively like the last experience, nothing special.

Wiktor

Junk food is pretty high in carbs, so it's not really comparable.

Woah that's almost exactly what I did. I started at 218, except I started in the spring but I'm stuck at 175 for a while now. Did the same things, no fast food and mostly water. Have to start trying intermediate fasting to get rid of the last 10 lbs as 165 was my goal.
Sorry to hear about the ex though. Although those are exactly the things that gets one motivated to become better. I did the same as I was in a similar messed up situation.

It's the best thing that ever happened to me, if you were to ask me. And thanks, hope things are better for you as well. The intermediate fasting works very well for a quick few pounds, but I think it's hard to use it as a long term goal unless you make a big diet change to go along with it.

I guess what I mean is, if what you're currently doing is keeping you at 175, fasting to 165 and then stopping fasting will have you rise back up no? You'll need to make some changes.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Asked in IronGaf but I'll ask here too:

Grocery night here. I've been eating more and more salads for lunch at work and I'm looking for new ideas. I was thinking a salad with romaine, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and chicken or something. Would I just do some kind of vinaigrette on it?

Also what's the best way to cook chicken for salads? I grilled mine last week but it's a bit tough.

Any other complete salad ideas?

Also, got a crock pot, any awesome 3 night meals I can throw in?

DJwest

Ok guys, pretty long post upcoming:

First of all, I'm glad to be able to post ITT. I've browsed through this thread and have seen some amazing results all around which inspired me. Thankfully, my GAF account has just been validated and I can finally post and share opinions.

So, this is my story, will try to keep it short. I was always pretty active and fit in high school, I played basket ball a whole lot with friends, ate relatively healthy (thank you mom) until I moved to another country to attend university. My troubles started there as laziness pushed me to adopt fast food instead of cooking, plus I stopped playing sports entirely. Fast forward to today, the guy who was once made fun of for being too skinny currently weighs 120kgs (Height is 6"2). I will soon turn 26 and I have the complete package: man boobs, huge thighs and behind as well as a big belly. From being exhausted for climbing stairs to feeling just heavy, I have never felt worse physically. My confidence and social life have also taken a hit, as my weight makes me really insecure. I have decided that this sh*t stops in 2013, I'm tired of feeling sorry for myself.

I have read that low-carb diets do wonders, and was wondering whether everyone here shared the same opinion. Would be great if someone could share his typical daily meals with me so I could adapt and change my diet. Also, how do you all resist the urge to eat in evenings before going to bed? I can control my eating habits during the day, as work keeps me busy and I somehow "forget" about eating; but in the evenings, I turn like a real vampire and jump to the nearest fast food around, a habit that must have heavily impacted my weight.

My goal now is to be 85-90kgs at most in 6 months. Is this achievable? What do you think I need to do now to achieve my goal?

Any help, response, comment would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you guys.

PS: Sorry if my english sucks as its my second language.

GatorBait

Asked in IronGaf but I'll ask here too:

Grocery night here. I've been eating more and more salads for lunch at work and I'm looking for new ideas. I was thinking a salad with romaine, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and chicken or something. Would I just do some kind of vinaigrette on it?

Also what's the best way to cook chicken for salads? I grilled mine last week but it's a bit tough.

Any other complete salad ideas?

Also, got a crock pot, any awesome 3 night meals I can throw in?

I like to go themed with my salads: thai, caesar, greek, etc. Google search a few ideas like that and you'll find quite a bit. As for chicken, I baked mine for my last salad. If your chicken is tough, you probably overcooked it.

I'm going to try a crock pot meal tomorrow in my brand new slow cooker. Girl at work gave me the recipe: chicken breasts, stick of cream cheese, cream of chicken soup, dry ranch seasoning. Throw all that in the crock pot and cook on low until done (probably 4-6 hours, I'm guessing). I'll be throwing some mushrooms and broccoli in toward the end of it cooking too, so that I can get some veggies with the meal. I'll let you know how it all comes out.

On Saturday night, I'll throw a bunch of pork in the slow cooker so that I can have pulled pork for the football games on Sunday.

So, this is my story, will try to keep it short. I was always pretty active and fit in high school, I played basket ball a whole lot with friends, ate relatively healthy (thank you mom) until I moved to another country to attend university. My troubles started there as laziness pushed me to adopt fast food instead of cooking, plus I stopped playing sports entirely. Fast forward to today, the guy who was once made fun of for being too skinny currently weighs 120kgs (Height is 6"2). I will soon turn 26 and I have the complete package: man boobs, huge thighs and behind as well as a big belly. From being exhausted for climbing stairs to feeling just heavy, I have never felt worse physically. My confidence and social life have also taken a hit, as my weight makes me really insecure. I have decided that this sh*t stops in 2013, I'm tired of feeling sorry for myself.

Plain awesome, you better try hard and succeed! :)

I have read that low-carb diets do wonders, and was wondering whether everyone here shared the same opinion. Would be great if someone could share his typical daily meals with me so I could adapt and change my diet.

low-carb diets work well if you can maintain it right, I'm myself still student and cant prepare all my meals myself (wont say no to free school meal. :) ) so I havent done really low carb diet myself and cant comment on the typical meals other then eggs and bacon, chicken, no bread. More then sure someone with the knowledge will have time to give more detailed info.

Also, how do you all resist the urge to eat in evenings before going to bed? I can control my eating habits during the day, as work keeps me busy and I somehow "forget" about eating; but in the evenings, I turn like a real vampire and jump to the nearest fast food around, a habit that must have heavily impacted my weight.

You shouldn't forget to eat during the day, please try to stop that. If you eat when you're really hungry you're much more likely to overeat. Healthy and filling snacks in middle of workday maybe? 3-5 meals a day could be good goal to have, brakefast, dinner and what you call that meal before going to bed. I personaly must eat allmost everyday before bed or my tummy goes full mister grumpy and fucks up my sleep. :D

My goal now is to be 85-90kgs at most in 6 months. Is this achievable? What do you think I need to do now to achieve my goal?

It is, BUT you need iron fucking willpower of grand wizard to archieve that kind of loss, even though you're really heavy now and more you weight the easier it is to lose weight. Still dropping 6kg a month is archievment in it self. It all comes down to your willpower if you can archiev that kind of loss. DO NOT BITE MORE THEN YOU CAN CHEW, losing even minor amount is still better then failing miserable and being disapointed in yourself.

And now to give some random tips that has helped me a great deal on my weight lost/lifestyle change journey. ( I was around 95-103 at my "best" and during last year I lost around 20-25kg and weight now 70-73kg, but im short 171cm dwarf so I still got atleast 10-15kg to go. :( )

Start keeping food diary, even if you dont count calories. Write down every piece of food product and everything else you put inside your mouth and swallow. (bad foods with bright red and all capslock :) ) Keep it up and you can start to see where you need improvment, and how much you have really eaten during the week and have you been able to keep your diet. ( http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20080708/keeping-food-diary-helps-lose-weight ) Have your first goal to make your meals healthier and have food diary that has ALL what you have eaten during a week in it.

I atleast like to follow numbers, I have kitchen scale to weight my portions when I eat at home. ( I wrote down it to my food diary in early days. should probably start to keep track of this again. :) ) sport watch to keep track of calories burned during exercise. And I also weight myself every sunday after morning pee and before any food and put that on my weight diary kind of thing. I love that I can look on my diaries (spreadsheets, use google docs if you dont have programs on computer) and see it in numbers how well I have done, even if I still feel like big ugly lump of fat and despair I can just open the files and see I have actualy gotten better. ( Take panties only pic of yourself now and new one after 1 month in neutral position as possible and you most likely will be able to see some results, with your very own eyes and have nice ego boost. :) )

Drop shitty useless food from your diet to low as possible, hamburgers, fries, pizza, white bread, highly processed food products. Look for healthy food that you like, learn to cook yourself, (what could be better way to know exactly whats on your plate?) I myself have restricted my carb intake and highly processed food and replaced stuff with healthier stuff, so stuff I eat is better then stuff I used to eat. :p Have something long lasting, filling, healthy super fast to prepare food at your disposal at your home all times, like can of tuna. Incase you get really hungry and just HAVE TO GET SOMETHING TO EAT RIGHT FUCKING NOW. eat it with lot of water to have stomach full. Lot better then getting some fast food.

Know that even if you exercise, it doesnt give you permission to eat what you want and how much you want. ( http://www.prohealth.com/weightloss/tools/exercise/calculator1_2.cfm put in your details and see how much you lose with 2 hour slow walk and then think about how much easier it is to just not eat those calories. :) ) Even if exercise it's not magical pill that makes you fit as bull and lets you eat whatever you want, still you have to try to fit some exercising to your weekly schedule. Even if it in start its just something lame like lifting 1kg weight 10 times a day, small things add up over the year. 1kg*10x a day is 3650 lifts a year. Also choose stairs, park car little further away from shop door, if you can walk to someplace and not use car choose that. Small things add up over the year, dont think short term with this new lifestyle you're going to have.

I hope I didnt write total bullshit, just woke up and wrotet his. Fellow gaffers are free to call any bullshit advice I might have given.

Dash27

I have read that low-carb diets do wonders, and was wondering whether everyone here shared the same opinion. Would be great if someone could share his typical daily meals with me so I could adapt and change my diet.

I'm trying low carb now, Paleo diet specifically. I have a thread going here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506828

It has some ideas for what you can eat and some links to check out. I can also say I've done basic calorie counting and that's worked for me in the past.

Overall I would say the main thing is to eat good quality foods. No fast food, no sugar from cake, cookies, soda, fruit juice, candy, cereal etc. Eat good whole foods, plenty of veggies and you're on the right path. Good luck!

Oh and your English is very good.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Surprised by the lack of activity in this thread, considering it's a new year.

Anyway, just an egotistical update that I've finished losing the holiday pounds. Though I may continue another inch or 5 lbs to mitigate false pounds due to dieting.

Onemic

Trying to get back into getting in shape. Went to the gym 4 times last week and I'm writing in my workout log. Maintaining a proper diet is still an issue though. dat pizza keeps calling me. :(

SeanR1221

Surprised by the lack of activity in this thread, considering it's a new year.

Anyway, just an egotistical update that I've finished losing the holiday pounds. Though I may continue another inch or 5 lbs to mitigate false pounds due to dieting.

The 90 day push-up thread seems to have a lot of fitness noobies.

Laekon

I'm down 3.6 pounds from the New Year. Next week will be tough with a friends birthday and a lot of deadlines at work. I really got to work on my will power as I'll be traveling for 3 weeks at the end of the month with 1.5 of those in Taiwan. I'll have to get back into running or something to help out.

Top Bottom