• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Kraftwerk

Mornings it's usually a protein shake or eggs and bacon. Usually, the shake though because it's so easy. Lunch I usually go to the Cafeteria at work. Like I said, I used to just get a salad and put some chicken on it, but I tried out so many combinations of the absolute crap at the salad bar, and I couldn't take it anymore. So pretty much for the last month, I've been eating at the cafeteria, but not at the salad bar, I just ask the server to give me whatever meat they have and the steamed vegetables they happen to have there. I have no idea what crap they must put in it. The vegetables actually taste surprisingly good, so I'm sure there must be something bad in there. Later on, I get home and eat some meat, and usually a little bit of spinach heavy salad. I frequently eat it with rice or something.

I don't go out with friends. If I do, I usually don't eat anything because it's convenient not to. The frequency of my soda/juice drinking is probably around twice a month maybe.

I see.

Protein contains calories too, and you seem to be consuming too much protein. I mean, if you have the protein shake, and then meat for lunch AND dinner, that is protein overload. You only need a set amount, unless you are exercising.

I would recommend having meat for lunch, unless you are going for dinner at night and want to enjoy a steak or something. For breakfast you can definitely have a boiled egg or too. Try to mix it up with having fruit, yogurt and other healthy alternatives.

My last boss did the same EXACT thing. He was extremely busy, and I would see him have protein shake for lunch most days. He gained a good 10-20lbs.

Weight loss is about balance. Try to mix things up.

Regarding the cafeteria food, sauces and seasonings can be very deceiving. When I started my current job, I would go to the Sobeys near me, and buy the freshly made lunch from their hot plate section. I usually got some chicken and steamed vegetables. Later on I found out that the seasoning and sauce they used for the chicken contained a ton of fat and extra calories.

That is why whenever I eat out, I always overestimate. If something says it has 400 calories, I just add a good 200..because you never know.

Do you drink alcohol btw?

Onemic

Mornings it's usually a protein shake or eggs and bacon. Usually, the shake though because it's so easy. Lunch I usually go to the Cafeteria at work. Like I said, I used to just get a salad and put some chicken on it, but I tried out so many combinations of the absolute crap at the salad bar, and I couldn't take it anymore. So pretty much for the last month, I've been eating at the cafeteria, but not at the salad bar, I just ask the server to give me whatever meat they have and the steamed vegetables they happen to have there. I have no idea what crap they must put in it. The vegetables actually taste surprisingly good, so I'm sure there must be something bad in there. Later on, I get home and eat some meat, and usually a little bit of spinach heavy salad. I frequently eat it with rice or something.

I don't go out with friends. If I do, I usually don't eat anything because it's convenient not to. The frequency of my soda/juice drinking is probably around twice a month maybe.

The cafeteria is your problem. Try making a lunch and bringing it with you.

And how much rice do you eat on average? Rice is very deceptive in that its high in carbs, but you tend to not feel as full eating it. Causing you to easily rack up the calories. This was one of my main problems initially.

And why are you drinking a protein shake, but not excercising? o_O Also what are you putting in that protein shake? Is it just whey protein and water? whey protein and milk? store bought protein shakes?

_Isaac

I see.

Protein contains calories too, and you seem to be consuming too much protein. I mean, if you have the protein shake, and then meat for lunch AND dinner, that is protein overload. You only need a set amount, unless you are exercising.

I would recommend having meat for lunch, unless you are going for dinner at night and want to enjoy a steak or something. For breakfast you can definitely have a boiled egg or too. Try to mix it up with having fruit, yogurt and other healthy alternatives.

My last boss did the same EXACT thing. He was extremely busy, and I would see him have protein shake for lunch most days. He gained a good 10-20lbs.

Weight loss is about balance. Try to mix things up.

Regarding the cafeteria food, sauces and seasonings can be very deceiving. When I started my current job, I would go to the Sobeys near me, and buy the freshly made lunch from their hot plate section. I usually got some chicken and steamed vegetables. Later on I found out that the seasoning and sauce they used for the chicken contained a ton of fat and extra calories.

That is why whenever I eat out, I always overestimate. If something says it has 400 calories, I just add a good 200..because you never know.

Do you drink alcohol btw?

Man. Those veggies are so good though. No, I don't drink any alcohol.

The cafeteria is your problem. Try making a lunch and bringing it with you.

And how much rice do you eat on average? Rice is very deceptive in that its high in carbs, but you tend to not feel as full eating it. Causing you to easily rack up the calories. This was one of my main problems initially.

And why are you drinking a protein shake, but not excercising? o_O Also what are you putting in that protein shake? Is it just whey protein and water? whey protein and milk? store bought protein shakes?

I am exercising. I go to the gym three times a week and do weight lifting, and I go out on walks on some of my off days. How much rice on average? Hm. Maybe two cups every day or two. The rice is really the highlight of my day. :/ Food is actually the highlight of my day.

Onemic

Man. Those veggies are so good though. No, I don't drink any alcohol.

I am exercising. I go to the gym three times a week and do weight lifting, and I go out on walks on some of my off days. How much rice on average? Hm. Maybe two cups every day or two. The rice is really the highlight of my day. :/ Food is actually the highlight of my day.

Please at least say you're talking about cooked rice. Because that's a ton of rice.

Ixian

You guys should (not) try the Quest Peanut Butter Cups. So good.

My shipment with the Cookie Dough bars is due to arrive on Thursday, I am excited to try them. :D Quest is really knocking it out of the park with some of these newer flavors. I sometimes I feel like I'm in living in that episode of Seinfeld with the fat-free yogurt.

It's amazing what weight loss and a change in hairstyle can do for one's self esteem and catching womens eyes.

Before
hnykXYr.jpg

After
lNyHRiF.jpg

great improvement even with taking the jawthrust into account. :p

Net Carbs = Total Carbs - Dietary Fiber

Gets confusing with certain products though. For example, Celery Sticks will say they have 3g carb and under it will say 2g fiber and 2g sugar.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I don't drink now, I smoke weed but that's also been harming me so I'm stopping that too.

Yeah I had to stop that shit, it can really stop you in your tracks to being active and getting you motivated

Especially if you regularly smoke...a few of my friends who already smoke it are fine, but my friends who are a bit chubbier just seem to get bigger the more they smoke.

It's hard but I'd ditch it

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Using fooducate and my fitness pal apps I am starting to really see how horrible I've been eating. My breakfast yesterday was 1100 cal alone. 3 glazed dounuts and a medium hot chocolate. Today I had oatmeal 2 boiled eggs and orange juice and those combined is less calories than the 3 glazed dounuts I had yesterday. I am hopefully going to avoid dunkin dounuts for now onward.

zoukka

Using fooducate and my fitness pal apps I am starting to really see how horrible I've been eating. My breakfast yesterday was 1100 cal alone. 3 glazed dounuts and a medium hot chocolate. Today I had oatmeal 2 boiled eggs and orange juice and those combined is less calories than the 3 glazed dounuts I had yesterday. I am hopefully going to avoid dunkin dounuts for now onward.

Yeah donuts and chocolate milk are desserts. Not food :)

Keep on it. With pure calory math you can do anything. The info is so easy to get and manage today.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Glad to see you are looking into this kind of stuff! You'll see how calorie-dense all that junk is and it'll feel like the veil has been removed from your eyes :)

this isn't magic. Any normal person consuming that for breakfast everyday is going to put on weight. Just realize what you've been doing wrong (which it sounds like you have!) and work towards changing it. No more Dunkin Donuts is a good starting point. Little changes here and there is fine, changing habits can take time.
Mornings it's usually a protein shake or eggs and bacon. Usually, the shake though because it's so easy.
_Issac look at the nutrition facts on that protein shake, they often times put shit tons of sugar in the powder to make it taste good. If you're serious about losing weight, lose the shakes and get your protein elsewhere. Keep up going to the gym.

Horseticuffs

I'm having a hard time keeping my carbs below 50g. I can manage <100g, is that acceptable?

My diet is generally between 55-65% carbs and I've lost quite a bit. You can totally lose and still have carbs. I have roughly 225g of carbs a day, it's just that they are from places like beans, lentils, and fruits.

Basically you'll be fine with less than 100g if that's what you want to go for :)

TCRS

Banned
How much of those carbs are starch and how much are sugar?

Most of it sugar I would say, I don't eat much starchy food (vegetables etc.). It's two eggs in the morning with tea (two teaspoons of sugar), meat or two grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch (the sandwiches have around 60g of carbs), fruit or salad for dinner and peanuts for late night (I stay up late). I'm doing very little in terms of exercise.

Try taking the tea without sugar and moving fruit to breakfast instead of dinner. You'll also cut some carbs off if your switch peanuts for almonds.

daripad

So I was doing some running to lose some weight but then it is rainy where I live, so I wanted to ask you what kind of execcises can I do in a small room? I don't have time to go to a gym, so I have to do it at home.

Also is it better to replace one egg with tuna? I don't like seafood but if it is necessary to change that then I'll try it

If you can get a jump-rope doing 10 sets of 50 jumps can be decent cardio.

I used to use the jump rope a decent amount although these days I no longer can keep in rhythm and end up hitting the rope too hard on the ground, causing it to bounce above my feet :/

Ixian

So I was doing some running to lose some weight but then it is rainy where I live, so I wanted to ask you what kind of execcises can I do in a small room? I don't have time to go to a gym, so I have to do it at home.

Also is it better to replace one egg with tuna? I don't like seafood but if it is necessary to change that then I'll try it
How small of a room are we talking? I'm a bit antsy about doing anything that might prolong my shoulder injury, so I've been doing DDP Yoga, which has been going well and only requires enough space for a yoga mat.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I just looked at these, and could someone explain carbs better to me?

The label says 25g of carbs, but the website says it "only 4g of active carbs"? what does that mean?

sounds like a marketing trick to me

Total Carbs - FIber = Net Carbs. That's how it works.

There's some debate on whether Quest Bars actually impact your blood sugar in the amount they say it does so it all comes down to the individual. The trend I've seen so far is that if you're a diabetic, it's not good. Otherwise, you're fine.

I've been having the Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor and microwaving it for 10 seconds. Fucking heaven.

Is it a house or are in in a multi-story apt?

Every morning I don't lift weights and every evening since I don't want to go to the gym just for 20 min. of cardio, I walk up and down the stairs for 20 min. Its a pretty good workout.

daripad

Is it a house or are in in a multi-story apt?

Every morning I don't lift weights and every evening since I don't want to go to the gym just for 20 min. of cardio, I walk up and down the stairs for 20 min. Its a pretty good workout.
It's at home, but unfortunately it doesn't have stairs

omgkitty

I just ate an entire container of Buffalo Chicken Dip that I bought from Publix on the way home tonight. There wasn't anything wrong with it as far as my diet goes, but I definitely shouldn't have eaten all of it. :S

If you can run and jump, I'd recommend the Insanity program with Shaun T. My cardio endurance is through the roof and I've lost some lbs on it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Total Carbs - FIber = Net Carbs. That's how it works.

There's some debate on whether Quest Bars actually impact your blood sugar in the amount they say it does so it all comes down to the individual. The trend I've seen so far is that if you're a diabetic, it's not good. Otherwise, you're fine.

I've been having the Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor and microwaving it for 10 seconds. Fucking heaven.
Yeah it varies person by person. Just helpful to let people know it might not work for them.

For example diet sodas knock me out of keto :(

omgkitty

I just ate an entire container of Buffalo Chicken Dip that I bought from Publix on the way home tonight. There wasn't anything wrong with it as far as my diet goes, but I definitely shouldn't have eaten all of it. :S

Oh man my body is already paying me back for eating all of that.

dralla

Gonna cut some of my lunch out of my diet. Been eating 3 egg omelets with cheese way too often.

That doesn't sound like much unless you're throwing on TONS of cheese. Shit, my breakfast today was 4 eggs with shredded coconut, an avocado, and brazil nuts. As long as it's keeping you satiated, I don't see a problem.

_Isaac

this isn't magic. Any normal person consuming that for breakfast everyday is going to put on weight. Just realize what you've been doing wrong (which it sounds like you have!) and work towards changing it. No more Dunkin Donuts is a good starting point. Little changes here and there is fine, changing habits can take time.

_Issac look at the nutrition facts on that protein shake, they often times put shit tons of sugar in the powder to make it taste good. If you're serious about losing weight, lose the shakes and get your protein elsewhere. Keep up going to the gym.

3g of sugar in one scoop. One scoop is what I get each day. I do make it with ice and almost a cup of milk though.

Kaizer

Banned
Man, I've been trying to do low-carb, ketosis specifically and I keep messing up. It's hard to stay consistent and focused. The most I've lasted is about 5 days and it sucks because I start to feel like it is changing my body and I've lost some weight even in that short amount of time.

I should preface by saying that I'm pretty much at what I'd consider the halfway point for my weight loss goal. Back in high school, I was nearly 280 lbs. and now, in my Junior year of college, I'm around 190 lbs. (used to be 180 lbs. last year, ugh). I'm 5'8 and my bodies gotten to the point where I don't look super fat with clothes on, but the ugly truth still lies beneath. I know I need to starting working out more, as I have access to a treadmill and purchased a BowFlex machine last year.

I've noticed my main problem with food, sweets and all snacks in particular, is that when I eat them, I suddenly have a ravenous craving for them and have to devour everything in site. I'm living with my parents and my mom is a sugarholic, but unlike me, when she gets cravings, she'll only eat a small amount and save the rest for sometimes a week or two weeks later. On the other hand I'm much more like a recovering alcoholic, one sip (or bite in this case lol) and I'm diving headfirst right off the wagon.

I still eat tons of veggies, but my healthy days are punctuated by extended gorging sessions on bad stuff. I guess I'm looking to GAF for some tips towards more low-carb food, shakes, snack bars, or ideas in general to try out. Also does anyone have tips for how to stay consistent, stay structured or follow a routine? I'm not a fan of nuts but I do try to eat pork rinds to satisfy snack cravings, but I can get a little bored of their taste.

Irnbru

damn, finally down 20 pounds after 2 months, 47 more to go to hit 170. Jeez, it gets harder as you keep going down. Doing low-carb, exercise almost every day, just finished boot camp, and now doing swimming and personal trainer sessions. whew.

Horseticuffs

Great job on all the hard work, guys. I've never done ketosis but I'm sure it's super difficult. The important thing you don't get discouraged if it's something you really want.

Here are a couple of comparison pictures of me, the before one from just before New Years and the after picture from today. I really dunno how much more weight I should lose, I still feel obese sometimes, I want the flabby gut and love handles gone.
Went from 197.8 lbs to 167.8 lbs.

OGG9xvx.jpg

yd67bz2.jpg

Kraftwerk

Incredible King ^

Regarding the 'flab'- you barely have ANY - just give it time. You could start doing the Insanity program. It's designed specifically for scenarios such as this. It varies from person to person, but generally you will loose between 5 to 10lbs but more importantly loose body fat percentage and get a more defined and toned body.

Onemic

Here are a couple of comparison pictures of me, the before one from just before New Years and the after picture from today. I really dunno how much more weight I should lose, I still feel obese sometimes, I want the flabby gut and love handles gone.
Went from 197.8 lbs to 167.8 lbs.

OGG9xvx.jpg

yd67bz2.jpg

?

Your gut and love handles are gone.

Top Bottom