• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

FrankCaron

Gold Member
I guess since I just did the same I reddit, I should contribute here. Last April, I weight 300 lbs with more than 30% body fat at 6ft0. Today, I weigh 190 lbs with just shy of 16% body fat and dropping. I finally reached my goal.

For those curious, all I did was no carbs at all (no potatoes, pasta, beer, etc.) and focus on solely proteins and veggies, one cheat day a week, and My Fitness Pal cal counting since April of last year. I tossed in a tiny amount of exercise (biking to work in the summer, running for half an hour every few days) but mostly accomplished this through diet.

Before:

BoLAt4o.jpg

After:

uNLquSk.jpg

FrankCaron

Gold Member
That's amazing, great job. How crazy did you go on your cheat days?
At first, it was pretty ridiculous. Think like entire large stuffed crust pizza to my face alone. Over time, though, I started to get sick from that stuff. Slowly, carb-y shit would really hurt, and my cheat days just got progressively less "cheaty". Now, my guilty pleasure on cheat day is AYCE sushi, where I'll probably do something like 20 salmon nigri and a few hand rolls.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is sushi really bad for weight loss?

The fish part certainly isn't.

I guess since I just did the same I reddit, I should contribute here. Last April, I weight 300 lbs with more than 30% body fat at 6ft0. Today, I weigh 190 lbs with just shy of 16% body fat and dropping. I finally reached my goal.

For those curious, all I did was no carbs at all (no potatoes, pasta, beer, etc.) and focus on solely proteins and veggies, one cheat day a week, and My Fitness Pal cal counting since April of last year. I tossed in a tiny amount of exercise (biking to work in the summer, running for half an hour every few days) but mostly accomplished this through diet.

Before:

After:

Great job! I had pretty much the same approach as you (eliminating almost all forms of carbs) with the occasional cheat day while incorporating some (but not a lot of) exercise. I went from around 225 to 150 over the course of a year. I eventually phased out the cheat days because carb binging made me feel sick the next day.

Good to see another fine example that diet is the most important factor when it comes to weight loss.

Before:

After:

VERY IMPRESSIVE!

Congrats <3

Almost identical program to what I did (minus cheats....I was never into them). Your before and afters are amazing.

Who cares, it doesn't matter. That's like beating yourself up for stubbing your toe. if you're still sticking to your path, everything is fine.

No shame necessary

Suairyu

Banned

Before:

BoLAt4o.jpg

After:

uNLquSk.jpg
Great work! You should be seriously proud.

If you don't mind me asking, as it was such a drastic loss, how are you for loose skin etc.?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Yeah, the loose skin thing is a great point if you don't mind us asking. I'm sure I'm not alone here in having a bit of an issue with it.

On to another note I wanted to post an updated pic since I hit a milestone yesterday.

I can now OFFICIALLY see my feet. I've been trying for months, but I always had to lean forward a good bit to do it. Last night I tried and, without leaning forward, I was juuust able to see them. Maybe a silly milestone, but my scale has been kind of frozen for a month and a half though I can tell my body is changing so I'll take what I can get.

It's inching down ounce by ounce but, damn, it's been a hell of a slog.

omgkitty

Got a weird question I've been wondering about for a few days. I don't count calories, and mostly just pay attention to the amount of carbs I'm eating, but I started to do some numbers, and on most days, I'm several hundred calories shy of 2000. Now, this isn't really an issue as I don't get that hungry, but could this actually impede weight loss? I know if you don't eat enough, your body can slow itself down to prevent itself from starving, and by that I'm assuming lowering calorie usage. I'm trying to figure out why exactly I hit a wall last time for a good few weeks when I was still very early into my diet. Also note that I'm 6'5, 345 pounds, meaning my body requires a high amount of calories just to maintain.

SeanR1221

Got a weird question I've been wondering about for a few days. I don't count calories, and mostly just pay attention to the amount of carbs I'm eating, but I started to do some numbers, and on most days, I'm several hundred calories shy of 2000. Now, this isn't really an issue as I don't get that hungry, but could this actually impede weight loss? I know if you don't eat enough, your body can slow itself down to prevent itself from starving, and by that I'm assuming lowering calorie usage. I'm trying to figure out why exactly I hit a wall last time for a good few weeks when I was still very early into my diet. Also note that I'm 6'5, 345 pounds, meaning my body requires a high amount of calories just to maintain.

At that weight and height, no you should be fine.

However, at a certain point I feel they do, but a lot of people here will argue that with you.

Piecake

Just eat until you arent hungry anymore. if that happens to be below 2k calories, great. Your body knows how much it needs provided that it isnt being tricked by HFCS, sugar, and other crap

Onemic

don't go below 1500 calories and you should be fine. A good way to stop your body from plateauing is to maybe eat 2000 - 2200 calories once or twice a week. This keeps your body from getting too used to having a low caloric intake

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Very nice. That's what I'm doing now.
Yeah, the loose skin thing is a great point if you don't mind us asking. I'm sure I'm not alone here in having a bit of an issue with it.

On to another note I wanted to post an updated pic since I hit a milestone yesterday.

I can now OFFICIALLY see my feet. I've been trying for months, but I always had to lean forward a good bit to do it. Last night I tried and, without leaning forward, I was juuust able to see them. Maybe a silly milestone, but my scale has been kind of frozen for a month and a half though I can tell my body is changing so I'll take what I can get.

It's inching down ounce by ounce but, damn, it's been a hell of a slog.
Grats. My belt hole I made 2 weeks ago is already semi loose so I know I'm still losing, even if a bit slower.

Echoing the ?, what did you do about skin?

Onemic

So one cheat day a week really isn't doing me any good. I think maybe once a fortnight or maybe even once a month from now on.

I honestly don't do cheat days period. Mostly because I think I and many others make the mistake of equivicating a cheat day with a "eat whatever the fuck you wanna eat" day instead and just impede your progress. In reality a cheat day is just suppsoed to be eating a little extra on top of your current diet, whether that be a smal bowl of peanuts, an extra piece of chicken, etc. The problem, at least for me, stems from it being called a "cheat" day, when really it's just another part of your diet.

So now instead I just eat a little more than usual maybe once or twice a week. That just means making a 3 egg omelet instead of a two egg one for breakfast and an extra piece of chicken.

I honestly don't do cheat days period. Mostly because I think I and many others make the mistake of equivicating a cheat day with a "eat whatever the fuck you wanna eat" day instead and just impede your progress. In reality a cheat day is just suppsoed to be eating a little extra on top of your current diet, whether that be a smal bowl of peanuts, an extra piece of chicken, etc. The problem, at least for me, stems from it being called a "cheat" day, when really it's just another part of your diet.

So now instead I just eat a little more than usual maybe once or twice a week. That just means making a 3 egg omelet instead of a two egg one for breakfast and an extra piece of chicken.

Yeah I don't do cheat days either.

I occasionally have a "cheat" where I will eat one or two items that I would not normally..... even then I stick to my diet in every other aspect on those days.

Piecake

Yeah I don't do cheat days either.

I occasionally have a "cheat" where I will eat one or two items that I would not normally..... even then I stick to my diet in every other aspect on those days.

Likewise. If i had a cheat day (entire shit food day of pizza, ice cream, candy, etc) there would be no way I could keep up with my diet since it would just get me addicted to that shit.

Occasionally? Sure. If its like free food from work or visiting my parent's or friends house, or some other thing I can rationalize it, but I can't pan to eat shit food since I would be eating shit food basically every day from then on out

entremet

So one cheat day a week really isn't doing me any good. I think maybe once a fortnight or maybe even once a month from now on.

I prefer cheat meals over days. Going nuts on one day really wrecked my digestive system. It also helps that I have better relationship with food from when I much bigger. I still love it, but I'd rather eat good, healthy and tasty stuff.

Toki767

I don't force myself to have cheat days, but I also don't give myself any guilt for having bad food once in a while. Weight loss to me is not about what you've already eaten. It's about what you can do in the future. Whether that be exercise or healthier eating. Cut yourself some slack if you screw up and eat something unhealthy. Just do better next time.

Schlep

I feel like not having a cheat meal or day is what causes most people to binge and ultimately go back to the bad way of life they used to live.

v1oz

Before:

BoLAt4o.jpg

After:

uNLquSk.jpg
That's amazing. Did you go to the gym at all? And what did you eat in place of carbs?

I feel like not having a cheat meal or day is what causes most people to binge and ultimately go back to the bad way of life they used to live.
yeah. The times I usually fail is when I'm too strict on myself. It creates a do or die attitude, then when I do eventually fail I feel like I should just give up completely. Having one day a week to eat french fries or hash browns (I love potatoes) when I eat little carbs otherwise isn't going to kill my diet. It keeps me on track. I stay way from sugar as much as possible however, can't imagine eating ice cream even on an off day.

1/21 - 270.7
1/28 - 269.8
2/05 - 267.8
2/12 - 260.1
2/18 - 258
2/25 - 260.1
3/5 - 256.6
3/11 - 250.8

dat progress

Very nice. It feels so good in the early days to see the numbers falling so consistently..... I miss it.

I had a HORRIBLE few weeks for diet. Going to rededicate myself to try to get the last 10-15 lbs off by summer. Starting a new job in retail that is going to keep me on my feet and moving a lot more than usual so HOPEFULLY that helps my progress.

Horseticuffs

So this morning before bed I stepped on the scale to see 201.5 looking up at me. I was excited to see some progress, especially so close to the 200 mark.

I wake up this evening (Hooray for days off!) and the scale says 199.5. I know not to get excited because it's likely just water weight since I just woke up but, goddamn, it was nice to even have the illusion for a second.

Like was said above, loss really can slow down. I fully expected to be 199 by Valentine's day, but as long as I'm trending downward I'm cool.

Ripclawe

Banned
on the IF diet (16/8) and started on Friday and did great till today when work got in the way because the feed time is 12-8, worked out afterwards then realize I was way under my macros by about 1300. so reset time or just move the fasting time around on my rest day?

Ramsiege

Hey Weightloss Gaf!

This morning I weighed myself and I went over 200 pounds for the first time in my life. I'm only 5'7 so the weight is very noticeable. I've been gaining weight since I got married in June 11. Any tips for someone starting off on trying to lose weight? I've been reading through the last few pages and looking at pics and it is very inspirational. Thanks!

Kraftwerk

Hey Weightloss Gaf!

This morning I weighed myself and I went over 200 pounds for the first time in my life. I'm only 5'7 so the weight is very noticeable. I've been gaining weight since I got married in June 11. Any tips for someone starting off on trying to lose weight? I've been reading through the last few pages and looking at pics and it is very inspirational. Thanks!

Start by cutting things such as Soda and try to walk more. Don't even need to set a time and date to go for a walk. Just walk to places you would normally drive to that are realistic. I started with a friends house. I visit him a lot, and would normally hop on the bus. I now walk to his house whenever I go. 10-15 minute walk, and I absolutely love it.

DRINK WATER DRINK WATER DRINK WATER

I know that it isn't much, but that is how I started. I was also close to 200 and I am 5'6. I just stopped drinking Soda and never set foot on an escalator or elevator ever again. After a while I did not even notice it. I did not start doing any sort of exercise until I hit 150. It is definitely great and will help a lot if you do it. All up to you.

Don't try to overcomplicate it by looking into different diets, exercise programs and whatnot. Everyone is different, and not every diet works for everyone. If you start one and it does not work for you, it will mentally break you. There is plenty of time to experiment later.

Just it and take it easy. You do not need to rush. If you have to determination, you will get there. There is no other outcome if you stick to it, plain and simple. Trust me :D

Onemic

Hey Weightloss Gaf!

Eat less.

That's the short version. Longer version is to look at what you've been doing to gain that wait and eliminate it. What helped for me is counting calories for the things you consume so you have a good idea how much you're putting in your body at the end of the day. If you make most of your food like I do, where the calorie content isn't just on the back of a box, just give a rough guesstimate of what it would be, and I always say that it's better to overestimate than underestimate what you're putting in your body. This site has a pretty damn good guide on how many calories you should consume on a daily basis for fat loss. I'd recommend it. Also going to the gym and getting into working out will help tons.

Remember that this is a lifestyle change and not just a quick diet to get down in weight, as that kind of thinking leads you to remission when you finally do get down to that target weight.(Learn from my mistakes!) The hardest part of losing weight is showing up and the first 2-3 days will be killer, but if your mind is focused on what you want to achieve, then none of that matters.

And like Kraftwerk said, drink tons of water. It may not seem like much, but it helps a lot. And really helps to control your appetite. What I do is have one of those big ass thermal mug thingies you usually see at seminars and stuff for lunch-ins sitting on my kitchen table. I fill up my mug with a cup of boiling water and sit on that until I'm done. Once I finish it I refill. Rinse and repeat. This works wonders for keeping your appetite in check.

Horseticuffs

Start by cutting things such as Soda and try to walk more. Don't even need to set a time and date to go for a walk. Just walk to places you would normally drive to that are realistic. I started with a friends house. I visit him a lot, and would normally hop on the bus. I now walk to his house whenever I go. 10-15 minute walk, and I absolutely love it.

DRINK WATER DRINK WATER DRINK WATER

I know that it isn't much, but that is how I started. I was also close to 200 and I am 5'6. I just stopped drinking Soda and never set foot on an escalator or elevator ever again. After a while I did not even notice it. I did not start doing any sort of exercise until I hit 150. It is definitely great and will help a lot if you do it. All up to you.

Don't try to overcomplicate it by looking into different diets, exercise programs and whatnot. Everyone is different, and not every diet works for everyone. If you start one and it does not work for you, it will mentally break you. There is plenty of time to experiment later.

Just it and take it easy. You do not need to rush. If you have to determination, you will get there. There is no other outcome if you stick to it, plain and simple. Trust me :D
Eloquently put, fellows.

The first change most people should make is removing any calorie-containing liquids. Soda, doctored up coffees and teas, alcohols, etc...

It all comes down changing your lifestyle, as was said. I've just now hit 150lbs lost this year and the only exercising I do is walking. I walk everywhere. Now, in my situation that's not just by choice, but were I to own a vehicle I'd be very careful about relying on it too much.

It's entirely possible to lose weight without exercise at all if you are just careful with your diet. If you have a smartphone I truly recommend Myfitnesspal to help you track your ingestion. Once you've got a handle on what you are eating, I'd recommend sitting down and analyzing what nutrients your current diet is missing and trying to fix that, either strictly through diet or with supplements.

The most important thing is not to give up because it seems daunting. It'll become easier as you go along :)

Ramsiege

Thanks for all the responses! I've tried losing weight in the past, but I always have a bad habit of losing a few pounds, feeling accomplished, and then letting go of myself again.

And I really enjoy eating...a lot.

But I'm going to be serious about this. My wife is in on it too so we'll hold each other accountable She has similarly gained some weight since we got married (although she has a thyroid issue that makes her gain weight, I have no such excuse but gluttony and laziness). We're going to cut out sodas immediately and start drinking water, and start walking more.

Is it OK to drink juice?

Toki767

Thanks for all the responses! I've tried losing weight in the past, but I always have a bad habit of losing a few pounds, feeling accomplished, and then letting go of myself again.

But I'm going to be serious about this. My wife is in on it too so we'll hold each other accountable She has similarly gained some weight since we got married (although she has a thyroid issue that makes her gain weight, I have no such excuse but gluttony and laziness). We're going to cut out sodas immediately and start drinking water, and start walking more.

Is it OK to drink juice?

Ideally you would want to not drink things with a lot of sugar, which juice tends to have.

Onemic

Is it OK to drink juice?

Juice is just as bad.

jred2k

Juice has a pretty high sugar content, especially the stuff you'll pick up in the supermarket. Its easier just to stay away from it. Honestly, its just better to get used to water being what you drink about 99% of the time.

Apologies for the douchey picture, but...
My body fat is pretty low. I have no "overhang" or whatever, even when I sit down. I can barely pinch any amount of fat on my stomach. SO WHY DO I HAVE THIS WOMANLY FIGURE? Seriously, any tips on getting rid of this hourglass shape I've got going on?

Nothing wrong with the V shape. Most guys who are into lifting are chasing exactly that. Yours is a little unique because it starts sort of mid-torso but you could fill it out by adding muscle, so I think you should focus on that. Just keep in mind adding muscle requires more eating.

Is it OK to drink juice?
everyone here loves to eat, trust me. You don't need to give that up, your desire for food shouldn't disappear. Its just refocusing that on more healthy alternatives. Your pallet will adapt, I love eating raw broccoli stalks now. Its crazy.

Juice contains a lot of sugar, its best to avoid it. I drink tons of iced and green tea, NO sweetener, NO sugar. I love water too. My first round of weight loss came to a halt when I started drinking Gatorade on my walks and more orange juice in the mornings. Those liquid calories/sugar will catch up to you fast

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

Before:

BoLAt4o.jpg

After:

uNLquSk.jpg

Oh man that's impossible. I just cannot believe it can be possible. Oh man you give me some glimmer of hope.

You went from a bear to a twink. How is this possible?????

Eating a garden salad with salmon. Hopefully I can keep this up.

LiK

Before:

BoLAt4o.jpg

After:

uNLquSk.jpg

Amazing, but am I the only one who thinks you look like the guy sitting there in the Before pic? Uncanny resemblance.

Top Bottom