• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

SeanR1221

I've been doing 2 24 hour fasts a week for 3 weeks now while doing T-25 workouts and haven't lost a pound. I wonder if the T-25 is giving me a bit of muscle though.

Everyone always says fasting does wonders, but I haven't noticed anything yet. What's your schedule?

How much are you eating on non fast days?

SeanR1221

Just my regular meals/snacks. Probably about 1800 calories or so.

I'd definitely eat more. 2 24 hour fasts are there so you don't have to eat below maintenance. PLUS you're burning a decent amount doing the video workout.

Did you read eat stop eat or what made you decide on 2 24 hour fasts?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'd definitely eat more. 2 24 hour fasts are there so you don't have to eat below maintenance. PLUS you're burning a decent amount doing the video workout.

Did you read eat stop eat or what made you decide on 2 24 hour fasts?

Just some research I did online and in threads like this. Eating more just sounds counter-intuitive to losing weight. :p I guess I could add some calories to a few meals.

SeanR1221

From that, all around 2050 calories a day. Is this what I should be eating to maintain? What about losing weight?

That's if you literally laid in bed all day. So you burn about 14,500 calories a week by default.

Now that doesn't count calories burned from your exercise + day to day activities.

I just think 1800 on average is too low :/
Especially when you're only eating 5 days a week

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That's what your body needs to function. When you starve your body below that, it will try to hold onto your weight.

Ah, I gotcha. Interesting.

That's if you literally laid in bed all day. So you burn about 14,500 calories a week by default.

Now that doesn't count calories burned from your exercise + day to day activities.

I just think 1800 on average is too low :/
Especially when you're only eating 5 days a week

Well my fast is dinner one night to dinner the next, but I get your point. So if I work to get above 2050 on non fast days I should see some weight loss most likely? I can add a few things to each meal to achieve that I think.

SeanR1221

Ah, I gotcha. Interesting.

Well my fast is dinner one night to dinner the next, but I get your point. So if I work to get above 2050 on non fast days I should see some weight loss most likely? I can add a few things to each meal to achieve that I think.

It's worth trying, especially since you haven't lost weight in 3 weeks. Honestly though if I was fasting 2 days a week like that I'd just eat normally. That's kind of the point, you don't have to calorie count ;)

I'm jealous of all of you guys who get to eat above 2000 calories :(
You sound like my wife now! I remind her I'm almost double her size.

I've been doing 2 24 hour fasts a week for 3 weeks now while doing T-25 workouts and haven't lost a pound. I wonder if the T-25 is giving me a bit of muscle though.

Everyone always says fasting does wonders, but I haven't noticed anything yet. What's your schedule?
I do 21-24 hour fasts everyday and starting from around a week and a half ago I've lost 9-10 pounds.

So I eat between 1-3 P.M everyday and fast until 1-3 P.M the next day, everyday. I'm always eating under 2000 calories I guess.

The great thing is after a few days, the food I;m eating fills me up more.

But yea I still haven't taken a shit yet......

edit: took a shit today!

Chris R

That's what your body needs to function. When you starve your body below that, it will try to hold onto your weight.

So I need to eat more to lose weight? Using that calculator shows that I need to eat ~500 more calories a day to just hit the target :( Was eating around ~1750

And since I'm doing a bunch of exercise do I need to add even more food to that daily target?

Zoe

According to that, 1581 cal is where I'm at. That kind of sucks. I like food. I burn another 400 from jogging so I guess maintenance level should be around 2000 cals.

I'm around 1500 with about 1000 calories a week from jogging (x3) and weightlifting. There's such a small window between below maintenance and having enough energy to exercise :\

So I need to eat more to lose weight? Using that calculator shows that I need to eat ~500 more calories a day to just hit the target :( Was eating around ~1750

And since I'm doing a bunch of exercise do I need to add even more food to that daily target?

Eating below will work for a while, but eventually you'll stall when your body balances out. Several people in this thread have seen good results after bumping up their intake.

SeanR1221

I'm around 1500 with about 1000 calories a week from jogging (x3) and weightlifting. There's such a small window between below maintenance and having enough energy to exercise :

Eating below will work for a while, but eventually you'll stall when your body balances out. Several people in this thread have seen good results after bumping up their intake.

Yup. 1950-2000 is my sweet spot. That's with 4 days of lifting.

When I tried losing weight before and ate like 1700 I stalled hard, was miserable and my workouts sucked.

I do 21-24 hour fasts everyday and starting from around a week and a half ago I've lost 9-10 pounds.

So I eat between 1-3 P.M everyday and fast until 1-3 P.M the next day, everyday. I'm always eating under 2000 calories I guess.

The great thing is after a few days, the food I;m eating fills me up more.

But yea I still haven't taken a shit yet......

lol

get some fiber

blackflag

Well, I was cleaning up my room when I found a portfolio of some old pics of me. I think these were taken in 1999.

This was about a year after I joined the gym. I joined my first gym weighing about 235-240 lbs. I think that I weighed about 225-230 lbs in these pics.

3x1QOfG.jpg

tPkw1N8.jpg

Jp9NK0N.jpg

tzjtQ7g.jpg

For comparison, this pic was taken two weeks ago. My current weight is about 179-182 lbs.
p70RqHR.jpg

And I took this one about two hours ago, just for shits and giggles.
8OLxNTv.jpg

I almost don't recognize myself.

Dayum you looked like a baller even in the before pics. Look insane now. Good job!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'll boost it up to 2000 or so. My issue might also be during the week I eat healthy and 1700 calories or so, but on the weekends I slack a bit and am probably around 2500. Maybe my body hates calorie roller coasters.

Cross-posting from fitness:

4 weeks on cut, and I've not really dropped a significant % of BF, and actually gained weight.
I might have overestimated by BMR or TDEE or whatever, but it looks like I'll need to start over.

So I'm going to give 4 weeks of keto a go, even though I know it will be an absolute pain in the ass (Unless you guys tell me it's a bad idea, which you should, please):
http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Inputted the following:
79kg male at 179cm, 24 years old and 20% BF.
Selected the sedentary option, as I on my cut up until now had been going with the moderately active activity level to not avail. What I actually do is 4xlifting sessions a week, as well as 2-3x light cardio sessions.

That gives me a TDEE of 2167kcal.
Went ahead with the 25g daily amount of net carbs, perhaps I should go lower?

I am lost as to how much protein I might possibly need, as I realize I've been going quite high up until now (170-200g daily), which might have been the reason my cut was unsuccessful (as excess protein was converted to glucose, and suppressed fat burning, perhaps?), so I went with a moderate amount of 120g - 1.9g/kg, or 0.86g/lbs.

Picked the moderate calorie deficit of 25%, which gave me the following guideline:

If you stick to 25g of carbs, 120g protein, and 115g fat, you will eat 1615kcal and lose 2kg (4.5lbs) in a month. Keep in mind that your body weight can fluctuate by ±2kg (±4lbs) on any given day from water weight and what's in your stomach. Recalculate your macro ratio once a month, because changes in body composition have a large influence on the recommendations and weight loss.

A reasonable weight-loss of 0.5kg/1.1-2lbs every week, with enough protein to keep muscle synthesis up throughout the cut.

What I'm having today food-wise thanks to this:

Breakfast - 6 boiled eggs
Pre-workout - Creatine+BCAA (I assume these are 0 calories, but even if they're not it's a matter of 7.5g total)
Post-Workout - Protein shake (150ml of skimmed milk, 40g of 82% whey)
Lunch/snack - Peanuts
Dinner - Omelet with bell peppers and broccoli, and some whipped cream for dessert.

Boring as heck, but I guess that's the cost of being a vegetarian. :p

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Are cheat days/slingshot weeks/whatever an actual valid way to jumpstart weight loss again after a stall or is it bullshit? I'm frustrated because my scale has been stuck for weeks after losing weight regularly for months and I'm not doing anything differently. To summarize my situation, at 6'2 I've gone from 260 to 195 since November on low-carbing ( <50g/day)

I suppose that I've already had a couple of unintentional "cheat" days in the past month due to the food that was available in certain social situations, but I haven't noticed any progress and I'm afraid to wreck my diet/take a break from working out unless this is an actual proven technique for getting over stalls. What's my best course of action here?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Are cheat days/slingshot weeks/whatever an actual valid way to jumpstart weight loss again after a stall or is it bullshit? I'm frustrated because my scale has been stuck for weeks after losing weight regularly for months and I'm not doing anything differently. To summarize my situation, at 6'2 I've gone from 260 to 195 since November on low-carbing ( <50g/day)

I suppose that I've already had a couple of unintentional "cheat" days in the past month due to the food that was available in certain social situations, but I haven't noticed any progress and I'm afraid to wreck my diet/take a break from working out unless this is an actual proven technique for getting over stalls. What's my best course of action here?

I am in a similar situation, lost only 7lbs since early May, after losing 50lbs earlier this year. Incidentially, I went on low carb then, so clearly something is not working. I had today my RMR measured and will get professional nutritionist advice.

On that note, cross posting my post from Fitness thread:

Well, this is sobering. I did today my RMR, VO2max and lactate threshold tests, and after them I did a body composition analysis in a BodPod which I understand is considered one of the more reliable methods for calculating body composition.

Here's a picture of me this morning. Have a guess of the numbers and highlight to see results.

Height: 6'2
Weight:
213 lbs
Body fat %:
28.2% - OBESE
Lean mass:
154 lbs
Fat mass:
60lbs

I have so much work ahead of me to get to a meaningful place.

despire

High carb refeed is known to help in some cases because the insulin spike will boost your fat burning hormones (which will downregulate themselves as you eat below your maintenance). These refeeds normally last from 5-24hrs and are mainly very high carb, moderate/high protein and low fat.

I'm personally doing Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss Diet and use 5hr refeeds once a week. During the 5hr period I will resistance train and consume over 400g of carbs with less than 50g of fat on top of my normal protein intake (1g/lbs). I'm 6' and weigh 180 lbs. A program that also utilizes similar refeeds is Carb Nite. CKD also uses these but they are normally longer (24-36hr).

o5PGLso.png

It's also totally possible that none of these will help and you have plateaud because your caloric deficit is too small since you now weigh so much less. You might need to drop the amount of calories you eat, up the exercise or both. How much are you eating now and when was the last time you readjusted your caloric intake? Because if you've dropped 65lbs, your caloric requirements are very different now from were you started off. Also consider taking a two week diet break. It will normalize your hormones and metabolism somewhat and give it a break from the dieting. Two weeks of eating at maintenance with higher carb intake than now (at least 100g) will give your body and metabolism a nice boost after all those months of caloric restriction. When you return to dieting, your body is primed to lose some fat again.

I recommend googling both subjects (carb refeed and diet break) and then deciding what to do after you know about them in more detail.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
High carb refeed is known to help in some cases because the insulin spike will boost your fat burning hormones (which will downregulate themselves as you eat below your maintenance). These refeeds normally last from 5-24hrs and are mainly very high carb, moderate/high protein and low fat.

I'm personally doing Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss Diet and use 5hr refeeds once a week. During the 5hr period I will resistance train and consume over 400g of carbs with less than 50g of fat on top of my normal protein intake (1g/lbs). I'm 6' and weigh 180 lbs. A program that also utilizes similar refeeds is Carb Nite. CKD also uses these but they are normally longer (24-36hr).

o5PGLso.png

It's also totally possible that none of these will help and you have plateaud because your caloric deficit is too small since you now weigh so much less. You might need to drop the amount of calories you eat, up the exercise or both. How much are you eating now and when was the last time you readjusted your caloric intake? Because if you've dropped 65lbs, your caloric requirements are very different now from were you started off. Also consider taking a two week diet break. It will normalize your hormones and metabolism somewhat and give it a break from the dieting. Two weeks of eating at maintenance with higher carb intake than now (at least 100g) will give your body and metabolism a nice boost after all those months of caloric restriction. When you return to dieting, your body is primed to lose some fat again.

I recommend googling both subjects (carb refeed and diet break) and then deciding what to do after you know about them in more detail.

This is all very informative and I really appreciate your input. I've just been winging it, so to speak, when it comes to my diet and haven't invested a lot of time in learning advanced techniques for maximizing my weight loss efficiency.

To answer your question, I've been running a significant caloric deficit for the entirety of my diet; perhaps less of a deficit now that I'm thinner, but I've mostly been consuming lean meats, vegetables, and nuts in regular portions with some cheeses and the occasional starch or complex carbohydrate. I referred to some calculators that say that I need roughly 2050 calories per day at my age, weight, and height to maintain my current weight, and I strongly doubt that I consume nearly that much in the course of an average day, especially after working out. Specifically, I spend 30 minutes per day on a stationary bike, ~10mph at max intensity. I'm limited in the kind of exercise that I can do due to a knee problem that makes me incapable of running or bearing much weight, and so I find the bike the easiest way for me to get some intense cardio.

I've been considering the refeed vs. diet break issue today, and I suppose that this is my (still largely uneducated) thought: I may have already recently experienced something akin to a refeed; roughly a week ago, I spent the day at my dad's birthday party and all that was available to eat were pizza and donuts. I decided to simply eat as everyone else did so not to inadvertently insult him in any way, and so I must have consumed 2-300g of carbohydrate that day. Perhaps not on the level of a true refeed, but still several times my normal daily intake. It's been a week since then, and I haven't noticed my metabolism revived at all. I simply remained at 195, where I've been for the past three weeks. It's because of this that I'm inclined to try the diet break instead; come to think of it, back in April I was less strict in my dietary restrictions for 2-3 weeks due to some medical problems, and not only did I not gain during this time, I actually continued to lose.

It's certainly worth trying. I understand that a diet break is simply maintenance mode and not a return to old eating habits, with perhaps some extra calorie-counting to ensure that I'm not going over my limit for the day. Would I also need to suspend my exercise routine for this? Either way, if I decide to go through with this, I'll probably begin on Thursday as I'm scheduled for a blood donation anyway and need to consume lots of carbohydrates that day so that I don't faint. The two times I've given since I began my diet, I filled up on nothing but meat before going but still had to be revived both times, so I've learned my lesson. I'll post updates on my diet break and any ensuing consequences here. Thanks again!

despire

The feast at your fathers would have probably acted as a refeed even though it wasn't intended. You probably also ate a lot of fat during that time (pizza) but I think there should have been some effect on your metabolism if there is one to be had.

Just continue your exercise routine during the diet break, no reason to stop doing it. Just be sure that you are eating roughly at maintenance so you are not really losing/gaining weight during the time. The last thing you want to do is eat way over maintenance and just gain a bunch of fat. So be conservative in your estimations at first and go from there. Just remember that introducing some carbs in your diet again will bump your weight a bit at the start but it's just water.

If the diet break doesn't seem to do the trick, you might want to consider dropping calories since in the end ~2000kcal a day isn't even that low for someone of your size. You can try dropping it 100-150kcal first and see what happens.

Also read this: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

Ugh I don&#8217;t know how I let it get this bad! Over the past 4 or 5 years I have gained about 30 pounds. Due to my small stature of 5&#8217;6, it doesn&#8217;t sit too well and looks really bad. I&#8217;m now up to about 180 pounds when I used to sit around 150 pounds. I&#8217;m now 28 years old and feel like I should be in my prime physical peak shape. I figure if I don&#8217;t lose the weight now, I will never lose it as I get older and it becomes harder. Over the time I gained the weight I&#8217;ve got married, been working in the office with sedentary activity level, had a baby (now 1 year old), and overall my activity level has decreased.

I used to consider myself physically fit and moderately handsome. Now I hate to look in the mirror and avoid pictures. Here is what I used to look like five years ago and what I look like now.

Before
null-5.jpg

Now
null-3.jpg

Well the plan is to lose these 30 extra pounds as soon as possible. I&#8217;ve begun tracking my calories in and calories out by using the app called Lose It! I&#8217;m not following any specific diet but instead limiting my caloric intake. According to LoseIt! I should eat 1,789 to lose 1.5 pounds per week. I&#8217;ve subtracted 125 calories to limit myself to allow 1,664 calories per day. I&#8217;m going to eliminate beer. My breakfast will consist of instant oatmeal (170 calories), my lurch will usually consist of Healthy Choice frozen means (not ideal, I know), and dinner will vary, whatever my wife makes but in much smaller portions. She knows I&#8217;m starting this program and has agreed to cook healthier meals. I&#8217;m going to start increasing my activity level at work and add a home exercise program. This consists of walking up the stairs each day at work for 15 minutes (5x week). Adding running and weight lifting at home, realistically about 3- 4 times a week.

Need your all help/input with the following questions.

1. Any other shorter guys find it difficult when meals and proportions are geared towards to taller people? For example when I go out to eat with a taller person they can naturally eat more as it is spread out on a larger frame. Any suggestions how to keep the proportions appropriate for my size?
2. Any tips to avoid junk food in the house? My wife is a great cook/baker and there is ALWAYS bad food laying around in the house. She has much better self-control than I do and I find it hard to avoid. I&#8217;ve pleaded with my wife before to remove these foods but they always wind up back in the house. That said I don&#8217;t think I can remove them from the house, how do I avoid and not eat them? Same for work, how do I avoid the dounuts, etc.?
3. Anyone with foot/shin problems? I have flat feet which I think is the cause of severe shin splints I get every time I start a running program. Could a foot specialist do anything to help avoid these shin splints? I honestly feel like I&#8217;m a good runner but the shin splints always derail my running programs everytime I start. They are extremely painful!

Any help, motivation, or encouraging words, I would be very greatful!

SeanR1221

Ok Vic a few things

- eat more real foods. (Meat, fish, eggs, dark green vegetables, fruits (berries)...things like that.

- don't eat healthy choice

- use myfitnesspal over lose it. It's a better app overall

- as for avoiding temptation realize that you are in control of what goes in your mouth. A lot of times we eat out if boredom. Have a cup of tea, black coffee or water if you think you're bored

- water water water. Eat lots of it.

- focus on protein and good fats. Get carbs from low glycemic index sources.

- avoid sugar like the devil.

jred2k

1. Any other shorter guys find it difficult when meals and proportions are geared towards to taller people? For example when I go out to eat with a taller person they can naturally eat more as it is spread out on a larger frame. Any suggestions how to keep the proportions appropriate for my size?
2. Any tips to avoid junk food in the house? My wife is a great cook/baker and there is ALWAYS bad food laying around in the house. She has much better self-control than I do and I find it hard to avoid. I’ve pleaded with my wife before to remove these foods but they always wind up back in the house. That said I don’t think I can remove them from the house, how do I avoid and not eat them? Same for work, how do I avoid the dounuts, etc.?

1. Might seem oversimplified, but you could always just buy smaller plates. If you can't put more food on a plate than you'll need, you'll be much less likely to overeat. Obviously this doesn't apply to eating out, but I'd try and avoid that as much as possible as well. If you stick to eating at home you can control exactly what goes in to the food and limit some of the oils and additives that can quickly add calories at a restaurant. If you cook at home and reduce portions you may also be able to take left overs to work instead of having to rely on those healthy choice meals.

2. This one really just comes down to willpower, basically. You have to be able to say to yourself that you're making the change because you want to and the results will give you sustained happiness instead of the momentary joy you get from junk food. Hopefully your co-workers can be respectful enough to see you making a change and not try and push food on you. As for at home, maybe try and get your wife to put baking away in cupboards without telling you about it or making it difficult to get at in some way. The more barriers you put between yourself and bad food, the more chances you give yourself to stop and walk away. If that doesn't work you could always just keep a small amount for your wife and take the rest to work for your co-workers to share or something like that.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Anyone here have fatty liver before they began their diet? I had high liver enzymes come up on a routine blood test last November and ended up being diagnosed after an ultrasound. Doctor told me to lose ten percent of my body weight and it would reverse itself naturally, but I've since lost 25%. A blood test in May showed that I still had liver inflammation, although I've been reassured that it takes months after you lose the weight for that to go away.

I went to give blood today and now have a lifetime ban because fatty liver is considered to be a form of hepatitis. I can reverse the ban if I get a blood test that comes back clean, but it's still kind of demoralizing :\ I'm kind of afraid to get a blood test because I'll just feel wrecked if my numbers haven't gone down at all, but I suppose I need to know sooner or later.

The feast at your fathers would have probably acted as a refeed even though it wasn't intended. You probably also ate a lot of fat during that time (pizza) but I think there should have been some effect on your metabolism if there is one to be had.

Just continue your exercise routine during the diet break, no reason to stop doing it. Just be sure that you are eating roughly at maintenance so you are not really losing/gaining weight during the time. The last thing you want to do is eat way over maintenance and just gain a bunch of fat. So be conservative in your estimations at first and go from there. Just remember that introducing some carbs in your diet again will bump your weight a bit at the start but it's just water.

If the diet break doesn't seem to do the trick, you might want to consider dropping calories since in the end ~2000kcal a day isn't even that low for someone of your size. You can try dropping it 100-150kcal first and see what happens.

Also read this: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

I was all ready to begin this today, but I suddenly dropped two pounds over the past two days after being stuck at the same weight for three weeks. I think I'll give it another week to see if this was a freak occurrence or if my metabolism has somehow managed to right itself.

Chittagong

Gold Member

ha. I have got this stuff recently, my weight has stalled in the last month when I went ultra low carb.

I can't get a hand grip of my love handles anymore (I can finger pinch still) but I feel that marble like texture underneath. I can still hand grip the bottom of my belly though.

I upped my carbs to 150-200g on Tuesday. Interesting to see if the theory holds and I see a swoosh finally. Not holding my breath but it would be awesome.

Chittagong

Gold Member
New progress pic.

January / May / August

B6XtsCW.jpg

Height: 6'2 / 188cm
Weight progress: 115kg / 105kg / 97kg
Routine: 3 x Starting Strength / 1 x Accessory day / 3 x Spinning
Nutrition: 2000kcal day / 200g protein / 150g carbs
RMR tested in July: 2088kcal / day

My weight loss has stalled for the last 6 weeks so I am currently re-evaluating my program and getting my thyroid tested. Still a long way to ripped.

Log4Girlz

New progress pic.

January / May / August

B6XtsCW.jpg

Height: 6'2 / 188cm
Weight progress: 115kg / 105kg / 97kg
Routine: 3 x Starting Strength / 1 x Accessory day / 3 x Spinning
Nutrition: 2000kcal day / 200g protein / 150g carbs
RMR tested in July: 2088kcal / day

My weight loss has stalled for the last 6 weeks so I am currently re-evaluating my program and getting my thyroid tested. Still a long way to ripped.

Great progress.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Amazing work!

Great progress.

Keep up the amazing work Chit!

Just curious, how does your RMR numbers match up with a calculator like

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calrmr.htm

Thanks guys much appreciated!

I popped in my measures to the RMR calculator, it estimates my RMR to be 2117 - 2347 depending on the method. So the formulas seem to apply to me quite well.

I am still unsure though how many calories I should put into my system a day to keep losing, need to get that needle moving again.

SeanR1221

Thanks guys much appreciated!

I popped in my measures to the RMR calculator, it estimates my RMR to be 2117 - 2347 depending on the method. So the formulas seem to apply to me quite well.

I am still unsure though how many calories I should put into my system a day to keep losing, need to get that needle moving again.

Hmm...I really need to buy the battery for the heart rate monitor I have to get an more accurate picture. Glad to hear that calculator is pretty accurate though.

Labrys

Okay, hello again guys!
I've been kinda faltering with my diet lately, but I'm getting back on track this week, setting tight restrictions like when I lost the brunt of my weight. So, 1200 cal regular days, with 1500 on my cheat day.

I'm also going to get more in the groove with my exercise. One of my pups is getting up in years and also is really sick, so I haven't been too diligent with walking, but I'm just going to walk my healthy one daily starting tomorrow.

I walk with them 30-45 minutes a day, but I was wondering if there was anything I could add to that? Basically anything that doesn't require gym equipment I'm able to do.
I'm 180 right now, I'd like to get rid of the rest of my belly, my chest fat and the "fat pad" thing-y (sorry TMI).

Also, sorry to bother you guys again. Everyone looks really great, though!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Okay, hello again guys!
I've been kinda faltering with my diet lately, but I'm getting back on track this week, setting tight restrictions like when I lost the brunt of my weight. So, 1200 cal regular days, with 1500 on my cheat day.

I'm also going to get more in the groove with my exercise. One of my pups is getting up in years and also is really sick, so I haven't been too diligent with walking, but I'm just going to walk my healthy one daily starting tomorrow.

I walk with them 30-45 minutes a day, but I was wondering if there was anything I could add to that? Basically anything that doesn't require gym equipment I'm able to do.
I'm 180 right now, I'd like to get rid of the rest of my belly, my chest fat and the "fat pad" thing-y (sorry TMI).

Also, sorry to bother you guys again. Everyone looks really great, though!

You would want to do resistance training of some sort to minimize losing lean mass which happens on caloric deficit. This is important for a few reasons. First, lean tissue has greater metabolism, so the more you have the easier it's to stay lean. Second, the risk in dieting is to end up skinny fat, which doesn't look very good.

Given that you can't go to the gym you could look into bodyweight exercises and maybe getting some dumbells home.

Also, your calorie budget looks very very low and could make you lose lean mass rather than just fat. Slower is better for fat loss.

Labrys

You would want to do resistance training of some sort to minimize losing lean mass which happens on caloric deficit. This is important for a few reasons. First, lean tissue has greater metabolism, so the more you have the easier it's to stay lean. Second, the risk in dieting is to end up skinny fat, which doesn't look very good.

Given that you can't go to the gym you could look into bodyweight exercises and maybe getting some dumbells home.

Also, your calorie budget looks very very low and could make you lose lean mass rather than just fat. Slower is better for fat loss.

Ah, alright. That makes more sense, I'm sorta clueless when it comes to stuff like this, thanks for explaining it.

What bodyweight exercises would you recommend? I'm assuming things like squats and push-ups, right? The things that confused me with those are how many sets I'm supposed to do. My sister said 1000 sit-ups a day but that seems a bit silly/excessive...

And, for my budget, what do you think would be a better amount for me? For reference I'm 6' 1.5".

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ah, alright. That makes more sense, I'm sorta clueless when it comes to stuff like this, thanks for explaining it.

What bodyweight exercises would you recommend? I'm assuming things like squats and push-ups, right? The things that confused me with those are how many sets I'm supposed to do. My sister said 1000 sit-ups a day but that seems a bit silly/excessive...

And, for my budget, what do you think would be a better amount for me? For reference I'm 6' 1.5".

Pleasure, it does go against common sense and what we have been taught.

Last year I cut with heavy cardio and a huge calorie deficit, didn't look good and wasn't sustainable, I would gain the fat back. You will see that in my January pics earlier on the page, I have very little visible muscle and a lot of fat. Then I started a moderate caloric deficit combined with predominantly muscle exercise with only moderate cardio, the results are much better.

Here's an excellent calculator for fat loss calories. I tend to go a 200-300kcal lower than they recommend to compensate for the human tendency to underestimate calories

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

Bodyweight stuff - pushups, lunges, chin ups, pull ups, burpees, plank, crunches are all excellent. See here for more inspiration:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/body-transformation-shredded-with-bodyweight-exercises.html

Labrys

Thank you, again. It's a big help.
The site is saying 1913 cal for me, so I'll swing it down to 1600 daily with 1800 on cheat days, I think. It's saying my "perfect" BMI is 170lbs, so I think I'll make that my new goal on this new diet/regimen.

I'm going to do my cardio still, but I'll be adding some pushups and I'm going to try some crunches as well.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
At my parents and my dad had an issue of Men's Fitness laying around that had a pretty good article on intermittent fasting. I've been doing 2 24 hour fasts a week for a month with not much movement. The magazine had a plan where you eat your typical diet for 5 days but you eat about 500 calories under maintenance, then on day 6 you cheat and they say go all out to help stop your body from going into the mode where it deteriorates muscles, then you fast all of day 7 and do either a 24 or up to a 36 hour fast.

I may give that a shot and see if it works for me. Saturdays are by far my worst eating days anyways so it may be perfect.

SeanR1221

At my parents and my dad had an issue of Men's Fitness laying around that had a pretty good article on intermittent fasting. I've been doing 2 24 hour fasts a week for a month with not much movement. The magazine had a plan where you eat your typical diet for 5 days but you eat about 500 calories under maintenance, then on day 6 you cheat and they say go all out to help stop your body from going into the mode where it deteriorates muscles, then you fast all of day 7 and do either a 24 or up to a 36 hour fast.

I may give that a shot and see if it works for me. Saturdays are by far my worst eating days anyways so it may be perfect.

I know I sound like a broken record to you dude but I still think you're under eating if you're sticking with 1500 calories a day ;)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I know I sound like a broken record to you dude but I still think you're under eating if you're sticking with 1500 calories a day ;)

500 under what you need to maintain weight. I think maintaining for me would be like 2700 calories. I'm going to try to up my calories in non-fast times to 2100 or so. See if that causes any movement, as eating lower than that has not.

Some of the calculators even say I need 3000 per day to maintain. If I have been eating 1500-1700 for months now and not losing, yet I need 3000 to maintain, is it because I'm eating too few calories? I'm doing T-25 now so I work out 6 times per week for 30 minutes each time.

Just hit my first sub-250 weigh-in, at 249. Was 336 on January 1st, so 87 down so far. Another 40 or so to go (I'm 6'5" so figure 210 or so is OK). I don't post much in this thread but, again, thank you all for the continued inspiration!

SeanR1221

500 under what you need to maintain weight. I think maintaining for me would be like 2700 calories. I'm going to try to up my calories in non-fast times to 2100 or so. See if that causes any movement, as eating lower than that has not.

Some of the calculators even say I need 3000 per day to maintain. If I have been eating 1500-1700 for months now and not losing, yet I need 3000 to maintain, is it because I'm eating too few calories? I'm doing T-25 now so I work out 6 times per week for 30 minutes each time.

Yeah man, you're busting your ass doing the T-25 stuff, you should eat more. I also can't remember if it was you or not, but I think what you eat could be cleaned up a little more.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah man, you're busting your ass doing the T-25 stuff, you should eat more. I also can't remember if it was you or not, but I think what you eat could be cleaned up a little more.

Probably. I'm pretty solid during the week. I just have issues on the weekend when I'm in the mood for bad food because I've been eating healthy all week. I may try this Men's Fitness thing though and do healthy all week, cheat day Saturday, then fast day on Sunday into Monday. That should help kill my cravings and let me up my calories a bit during the week.

Top Bottom