• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Sarye said:
thewhiterabbit, does the calorie burned calculators take into effect resting metabolic rate? Not sure if they do or not but that's something to consider

They are a estimate of energy used. Like if instead of running I was riding a bike powering a light bulb.

I have shown with all my links that it's fair to say I have burned 1,000 calories. Just a estimate but a good one to use. I actually went with the low end of 960. And I will likely not eat all of those calories. Maybe only 500. Depends on what I have for dinner.

I would like to get a nice heart rate monitor to be as accurate as I can be. I have a cheap one that sucks. Maybe for Xmas. :D

thewhiterabbit said:
Next you were not accurate. If you did not weight it you guessed. Thats what the fuck accurate means. Maybe thats why you didn't lose much weight hmm. I dunno. I weigh everything and I have lost steady for months. 140lbs down. I didn't guess. You have to be accurate.

And when I mean everything I mean everything. I even weigh my dressing, slice of cheese, and butter. Everything.

I didn't guess. My brown rice was first put into the plastic cup that equals 1 cup of cooked brown rice before putting it in the rice cooker. My vegetables came in frozen bags that told me their size. My chicken was pre-weighted for me. I ate Fiber One cereal and each bag in the package I treated as 3 portions. Etc. Etc. Etc. At no point was I scooping peanut butter or eating some sort of high calorie food in unknown quantities. I figured out the calories once and didn't deviate. I made it so I was running a 250 calorie deficit and burning about 500 calories every time I exercise. Do you think I was off 600 calories per day with this method? (the milk in the cereal, it must have been!) And why did I lose weight at first and then just stop for around 6 weeks?

You're looking for reasons I failed so you can keep blindly claiming that all calories are equal and can keep bolding your points all over the place.

cubicle47b said:
I didn't guess. My brown rice was first put into the plastic cup that equals 1 cup of cooked brown rice before putting it in the rice cooker. My vegetables came in frozen bags that told me their size. My chicken was pre-weighted for me. I ate Fiber One cereal and each bag in the package I treated as 3 portions. Etc. Etc. Etc. At no point was I scooping peanut butter or eating some sort of high calorie food in unknown quantities. I figured out the calories once and didn't deviate. I made it so I was running a 250 calorie deficit and burning about 500 calories every time I exercise. Do you think I was off 600 calories per day with this method? (the milk in the cereal, it must have been!) And why did I lose weight at first and then just stop for around 6 weeks?

You're looking for reasons I failed so you can keep blindly claiming that all calories are equal and can keep bolding your points all over the place.

A lot of reasons:

1. Your base metabolic rate is going down since you have less weight to maintain.
2. Your body gets more efficient at running so you are burning slightly less calories there.
3. Your body realizes there is a calorie deficit so it begins to lower your metabolism slightly. It probably wasn't full starvation mode but it does favor burning a bit more muscle vs fat unless you incorporated some weight training.

All it takes is a change of 10-15% and all of a sudden your progress goes down 4 fold.

RoodyPooUS said:
A lot of reasons:

1. Your base metabolic rate is going down since you have less weight to maintain.
2. Your body gets more efficient at running so you are burning slightly less calories there.
3. Your body realizes there is a calorie deficit so it begins to lower your metabolism slightly. It probably wasn't full starvation mode but it does favor burning a bit more muscle vs fat unless you incorporated some weight training.

All it takes is a change of 10-15% and all of a sudden your progress goes down 4 fold.

Possibly. Anyway, I'm happy I changed up what I was doing because I really can't stand doing that much cardio.

cubicle47b said:

If you didn't weigh it it was a guess. This has been my only point. Weigh that measured cup of rice. Bet its more than you think. Never trust what a box says. Or how much rice I put in a rice cooker. You deal with weight. If you didn't weigh it you were not accurate. It was a guess. And since you lost weight but slowly a close one.

And as other posters have said, when you start weighing you see how far you were off. And yes the milk and double or triple serving of cereal could do it easily. Thats why you weigh.

Next I aint looking for shit. As I said before I don't care how you lose your weight. Do your own thing. My comments here were cause elrechazao was telling some one false info.

So the plastic cup of brown rice changes each time I make it. Good to know. It seems like weighing it once would be good enough but I guess that could make for a 600 calorie difference every day.

cubicle47b said:
So a the plastic cup of brown rice changes each time I make it. Good to know.

No. The grains of rice are not the same shape. So you can put more in than you think. On top of that its not actually 1 cup.

I was shocked how off measuring cups could be. How off I was on a serving of cereal. This is what you don't get. If you are trying to meet a calorie goal you need to make sure you are eating how much you think you are.

And a lil off here a lil off there will ruin your goals.

Nah I don't think he is saying that, you are eating the same amount every time but that cup might not be an actual "cup" with the same weight you think or that is listed. Maybe just weigh it once to see if it is actually 4 oz or whatever. It could be who knows.

Imagine they are company selling a product, wouldn't you give a slightly larger measuring cup that way they use your product faster and buy your product more?

You find that happens a lot.

Yea for stuff like nuts etc, if you fill a cup, then shake it around and press down, see how you can put like 5-10% more cuz you made the stuff settle? That can make a difference.

If I ate one of the two bags of Fiber One in 3 days, it'll all average out if I eat a little too much one day and a little too little the next. The rice shapes might be a problem, though (good point, there).

Luckily there are better diets where you don't have to be obsessive compulsive to achieve meaningful results.

cubicle47b said:
If I ate one of the two bags of Fiber One in 3 days, it'll all average out if I eat a little too much one day and a little too little the next. The rice shapes might be a problem, though (good point, there).

Luckily there are better diets where you don't have to be obsessive compulsive to achieve meaningful results.

Yea actually I don't count calories anymore and don't really measure, I go by feel, which works for me these days. Some people just get better results if they have a really concrete structure they can adhere to.

I'm just passing on some knowledge I have.

RoodyPooUS said:
Imagine they are company selling a product, wouldn't you give a slightly larger measuring cup that way they use your product faster and buy your product more?

It was the rice cooker's cup. I measured the results once to do my calculations. Lets just move on because it's pointless. thewhiterabbit will next claim I was slow jogging and therefore burning less calories than I thought and using 8x as much milk as I had calculated.

cubicle47b said:

Once you actually see proper weights you can be lax on measuring. My point was if your weight loss was slow something was wrong. No matter what you are doing to lose weight it all comes down to a calories deficit. Something in your diet may have not been accurate and throwing you off.

You fixed it by changing your diet. Which is why I have said do what works for you. You got frustrated and gave up before you got at it again. What I am saying is some others may be struggling and this info could help them. Just like info about low carb is helpful.

cubicle47b said:
It was the rice cooker's cup. I measured the results once to do my calculations. Lets just move on because it's pointless. thewhiterabbit will next claim I was slow jogging and therefore burning less calories than I thought and using 8x as much milk as I had calculated.

Once again no need to be a ass.

CaptainABAB

thewhiterabbit said:
No. The grains of rice are not the same shape. So you can put more in than you think. On top of that its not actually 1 cup.

I was shocked how off measuring cups could be. How off I was on a serving of cereal. This is what you don't get. If you are trying to meet a calorie goal you need to make sure you are eating how much you think you are.

And a lil off here a lil off there will ruin your goals.

What do you do when you go out to a restaurant? Or when you visit someone else? I'm genuinely interested.

I have a similar problem being on low-carb - I can usually find something on the menu that fits but you do have to be diligent.

CaptainABAB said:
What do you do when you go out to a restaurant? Or when you visit someone else? I'm genuinely interested.

I have a similar problem being on low-carb - I can usually find something on the menu that fits but you do have to be diligent.

If I go out to eat I will have something sensible. Like a salad with the dressing on the side. Same if I go to some ones else's. I try to eat healthier less calorie dense foods. Also If I know I might be eating something high in calories I will eat less earlier in the day. Or like when I run 5 miles and have an extra 1,000 calories I will save that for that big meal. Tonight I will probably have a big steak cause I have extra calories.

But 1 meal will not ruin your body :lol. I have a piece of cake at a birthday party etc. I go over my calories some occasions. But with in reason.

Oh 1 more thing I forgot to mention I quit drinking alcohol. Alcohol is loaded with calories. I have not drank alcohol in 6+ months. So anybody trying to lose weight will need to look at your alcohol consumption as well.

cubicle47b said:
Tell yourself that a few times.

I have never been rude to you. If you felt I was I am sorry. Unless you just want to argue.

elrechazao said:
Call me when we're done with the whiterabbit's biweekly two pages of ranting and freaking out on people. :lol

good god

Noted for much needed future reference. :D
:lol

No comment on my 1,000 calories you claimed I couldn't have burned.

I think I will subscribe and hang out if it keeps you from spreading false info.

thewhiterabbit said:
:lol

No comment on my 1,000 calories you claimed I couldn't have burned.

I think I will subscribe and hang out if it keeps you from spreading false info.
Do whatever you'd like, I won't be seeing your posts anymore, so enjoy yourself :D

I could be wrong but I have spoken to a dietitian friend of mine and she said that low carb diet outdoes the low calorie diet as you need the calories to burn weight.

The theory is (and I am sure I have dumbed it down from what she said), if your body is not receiving enough calories (like with a low calorie diet) it will want to keep as much fat as possible. If your body is getting enough calories, like in the low carb diet, your body will be willing to lose the fat.

I tried the low calorie diet and it was too much work. Counting everything, weighing everything and generally feeling hungry all the time. The low carb diet means I never feel hungry as I can eat protein when I have a craving.

Its working as well, I only started the low carb diet a week and a half ago and I have lost almost 5 pounds.

But each his own.

chicko1983 said:
I could be wrong but I have spoken to a dietitian friend of mine and she said that low carb diet outdoes the low calorie diet as you need the calories to burn weight.

The theory is (and I am sure I have dumbed it down from what she said), if your body is not receiving enough calories (like with a low calorie diet) it will want to keep as much fat as possible. If your body is getting enough calories, like in the low carb diet, your body will be willing to lose the fat.

I tried the low calorie diet and it was too much work. Counting everything, weighing everything and generally feeling hungry all the time. The low carb diet means I never feel hungry as I can eat protein when I have a craving.

Its working as well, I only started the low carb diet a week and a half ago and I have lost almost 5 pounds.

But each his own.
Eat fat too!

elrechazao said:
Eat fat too!

yeah, that too!

I love how when I am hungry, I can cook up some bacon and eat it without worrying if it is going to put me over my "points" or quota for the day.

The low carb diet is probably my dream diet - I eat fish, bacon and eggs, steak, and sausages all week now with some vegies.

I dunno what it is either, cause yesterday I ran about 6km in 36mins, which was a pb, and had very little tightness or sorness when getting up this morning.

My theory on this is that the protein is helping with muscle recovery as well as my body not spending energy burning refined sugars. I dunno...

chicko1983 said:

But each his own.

No matter what diet plan you do you are in a calorie deficit if you are losing weight. Thats a fact.

And if you were always hungry you probably were not eating enough. Theres a fine line between tracking to create a small calorie deficit and starving yourself. But thats the key. Finding a diet plan that allows you to eat and not be hungry. As has been said, if you don't enjoy it you will not stick to it.

I love carbs to much to cut them out :lol.

This is what I will end up eating today.
262g of carbs
131g of fat
123g of protien

Love them carbs :D

chicko1983 said:
yeah, that too!

I love how when I am hungry, I can cook up some bacon and eat it without worrying if it is going to put me over my "points" or quota for the day.

The low carb diet is probably my dream diet - I eat fish, bacon and eggs, steak, and sausages all week now with some vegies.

I dunno what it is either, cause yesterday I ran about 6km in 36mins, which was a pb, and had very little tightness or sorness when getting up this morning.

My theory on this is that the protein is helping with muscle recovery as well as my body not spending energy burning refined sugars. I dunno...
Yep, it's amazing how the body actually works - you can eat more food, but actually lose weight. The body's an amazing thing. I lost 1.5 pounds this week and ate more calories than ever, (probably averaged 2300 calories or so a day, vs 1800-1900 a few weeks ago) and cut my exercise through intervals to about 45 min total, down from previous weeks where I at less and worked out literally for 6-7 hours a week.

thewhiterabbit said:
No matter what diet plan you do you are in a calorie deficit if you are losing weight. Thats a fact.

And if you were always hungry you probably were not eating enough. Theres a fine line between tracking to create a small calorie deficit and starving yourself. But thats the key. Finding a diet plan that allows you to eat and not be hungry. As has been said, if you don't enjoy it you will not stick to it.

I love carbs to much to cut them out :lol.

This is what I will end up eating today.
262g of carbs
131g of fat
123g of protien

Love them carbs :D

If you look at the simple equation of calories in v the calories lost, yeah then of course I am in a calorie deficit. But the protein, fat and fibre in a low carb diet keep me feeling full.

I am losing weight now, eating 2000-2500calories average a day with exercising for about 40mins each day.

For me today, I will be somewhere between

30-60g of carbs
???g of fat
500g of protein

obviously, the fat in my diet comes from eating the protein foods like bacon and sausage.

And if you were always hungry you probably were not eating enough.

Thats sort of what I was saying, your body needs calories in order to burn calories. To me, hunger is your body saying it needs food/energy. The low carb diet is obviously giving me enough energy but allowing me to lose weight.

Theres a fine line between tracking to create a small calorie deficit and starving yourself.

yeah, I think the line is finer and harder to maintain with a low calorie diet though as I would fell hungry a lot of the time.

As I said, each his own. Do whatever works for you.

Its just after trying low fat diets, low calorie diets and high fruit and veggie diets for about the last 4 years with no success and now seeing the low carb diet work so quickly and with ease, it is hard not to promote it.

Chinner

Banned
elrechazao said:
Yep, it's amazing how the body actually works - you can eat more food, but actually lose weight. The body's an amazing thing. I lost 1.5 pounds this week and ate more calories than ever, (probably averaged 2300 calories or so a day, vs 1800-1900 a few weeks ago) and cut my exercise through intervals to about 45 min total, down from previous weeks where I at less and worked out literally for 6-7 hours a week.
nope sorry you definitely have a calorie deficit going on you probably in reality ate 2 calories

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Shut the fuck up about these low-calorie diets for God's sake. :lol

Like the poster two posts above me said, do whatever works for you. If a low-carb diet works for one person then stop forcing your low-calorie ideology bullshit onto them. If a low-calorie diet works for someone else, don't force your low-carb ideology bullshit onto them.

To each his own.

Chinner said:
i'll tell you one sucky thing about low carb dieting; its expensive.
Do you have a freezer? Buy in bulk on sale. It does really suck that real butter costs like 3 bucks a pound and shitty fake margarine is 35 cents or something crazy for the equivalent.

Taste fixes all though, it's worth it health and taste wise.

Chinner said:
i'll tell you one sucky thing about low carb dieting; its expensive.

Yeah it is expensive but you are getting what you pay for.

Nice bacon, nice steak, nice chicken fillets and fish fillets are expensive but I'm willing to pay for something I will like to eat.

If it was expensive but not very nice, like some of those diet company food packs, the I definitely wouldnt be doing it.

Also, Id probably pay $10,000 on the spot to get to my goal weight if it was possible. End the end, the increase in my shopping bill while on the low carb diet will be less than that.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
For me, low-carb dieting has changed my life. I've doubled my sodium intake, cholesterol intake, saturated-fat intake and my blood pressure is dropping. I have a cheat day once a week where I slightly lift the restriction on my carb intake for lunch and have a HUGE bowl of frozen yogurt topped with Peanut Butter Cups and Brownies yet I consistently lose 3 pounds a week.

Even though I stay full longer, I still eat a lot. Way above my daily caloric needs in order to maintain my weight because I'm a habitual eater by default. it doesn't matter if I'm full as fuck, I'll still munch on food and eat. Why? Just because. And I have absolutely no guilt.

I basically eat food that either grew from the ground or had a mother and, well, what do you know? That's a low-carb life-style!

But, in the end, the first two words of this post imply what I'm getting it. All of this works "for me" which is why I'm preaching it so much, but I know there's so many people out there who won't see the same results with the same strategy and guess what? That's cool. Whatever works for you. :D

Domino Theory said:
For me, low-carb dieting has changed my life. I've doubled my sodium intake, cholesterol intake, saturated-fat intake and my blood pressure is dropping. I have a cheat day once a week where I slightly lift the restriction on my carb intake for lunch and have a HUGE bowl of frozen yogurt topped with Peanut Butter Cups and Brownies yet I consistently lose 3 pounds a week.

Even though I stay full longer, I still eat a lot. Way above my daily caloric needs in order to maintain my weight because I'm a habitual eater by default. it doesn't matter if I'm full as fuck, I'll still munch on food and eat. Why? Just because. And I have absolutely no guilt.

I basically eat food that either grew from the ground or had a mother and, well, what do you know? That's a low-carb life-style!

But, in the end, the first two words of this post imply what I'm getting it. All of this works "for me" which is why I'm preaching it so much, but I know there's so many people out there who won't see the same results with the same strategy and guess what? That's cool. Whatever works for you. :D

This. I see people on here preaching calorie counting and weighing everything you eat. I have never counted calories or weighed anything, I just ate less :lol

Shaneus

Domino Theory said:

How do you work this... by finding low-carb alternatives to what you usually eat (like that make-your-own-bread and shit) or completely changing what you eat? I actually hate having to make pretty much everything so whatever you've managed to work out would be great to know :)

IF low carb dieting works well for you, you might want to try a Cyclical Ketogenic diet.

I am on it right now since it works best for me. Its basically 60% of Calories from Fat, 35% from Protein, 5% Carbs, then you carb up once a week for a day to replenish your glycogen stores.

So most of my diet comes from -

Eggs
Bacon
Sausage
Protein Powder
Nuts
Cheese
Chicken Thighs/Breast
Steak
Oil
Broccoli
Spinach
Cucumber
Asparagus

You don't get the intense carb cravings which make it a lot easier to not cheat.

Shaneus

Yeah, I can never be arsed counting percentages of fat, protein etc. Someone just needs to lay out a menu that contains what I should eat and what I shouldn't. I'm just too lazy :lol

Shaneus said:
Yeah, I can never be arsed counting percentages of fat, protein etc. Someone just needs to lay out a menu that contains what I should eat and what I shouldn't. I'm just too lazy :lol
Eat the body's essential components: lipids and proteins. Don't eat the component your body doesn't need: carbohydrates.

Easy as 1,2, not 3!

Shaneus said:

Well someone did: Its a great read and makes it so you aren't eating 1 grape an hour

Its basic concept is ABS DIET POWER

almonds + nuts, beans, spinach, dairy products, instant oatmeal, eggs, turky, peanut butter, olive oil, whole grain breads, extra protien powder, rasberries + other berries

cuevas said:
Well someone did: Its a great read and makes it so you aren't eating 1 grape an hour

Its basic concept is ABS DIET POWER

almonds + nuts, beans, spinach, dairy products, instant oatmeal, eggs, turky, peanut butter, olive oil, whole grain breads, extra protien powder, rasberries + other berries
A good book with such an unfortunate title. I think it's dismissed by so many people because they equate "abs diet" with some crappy men's health style article or stupid abs contraption that will give you a six pack in just 4 days!(TM).

cuevas said:
This. I see people on here preaching calorie counting and weighing everything you eat. I have never counted calories or weighed anything, I just ate less :lol

Same here, though I have started to cut my carbs since I've plateaued in weight loss. This week I ate some hot wings on Monday, Tuesday, and some left over wings on Wednesday. I also ate some bacon and eggs for breakfast. I even ate some chocolate cake because I just couldn't stop looking at it. :lol I've so far lost 2-3 lbs since Monday and have finally gone below 170 lbs.

I will say that if you are just starting with the weight loss, I recommend counting calories for a few weeks. The reasoning is that you will become consciously aware of how many calories each meal portion is, as well as finding out the correct portion size(most important aspect IMO). Once you have a general idea of how many calories you are consuming and are comfortable guestimating calories per portion size, you can forgo with the calorie counting.

Masta_Killah said:
Same here, though I have started to cut my carbs since I've plateaued in weight loss. This week I ate some hot wings on Monday, Tuesday, and some left over wings on Wednesday. I also ate some bacon and eggs for breakfast. I even ate some chocolate cake because I just couldn't stop looking at it. :lol I've so far lost 2-3 lbs since Monday and have finally gone below 170 lbs.

Yeah man, people say have a "cheat day" once a week but I cheat almost every other day. A slice of chocolate cake on monday might mean you ate half a cake or a small slice, its not all about WHAT you eat as much as the AMOUNT you eat. We all got to where we were because we probably couldn't help ourselves from eating that extra slice, just gotta learn how to control it and youll be fine.

Anyone ever get thrown off a weight loss regimen when making a big life change?

I've lost nearly 60 pounds this year, but I'm in the process of moving two states away for a new job. I've still been pretty good about going to the gym on a regular basis, but my diet has gone a bit off. Part of it is because I'm leaving town and want to eat all of my favorite local food before I go.

I know I'll get back on track once I get moved, find a new gym and get back on a regular work schedule, but it's frustrating when you've done so well and fall off the horse. I figure as long as I maintain my current weight for the next couple of weeks and don't gain a bunch back, I'll be fine.

BertramCooper said:

I've lost nearly 60 pounds this year, but I'm in the process of moving two states away for a new job. I've still been pretty good about going to the gym on a regular basis, but my diet has gone a bit off. Part of it is because I'm leaving town and want to eat all of my favorite local food before I go.

I know I'll get back on track once I get moved, find a new gym and get back on a regular work schedule, but it's frustrating when you've done so well and fall off the horse. I figure as long as I maintain my current weight for the next couple of weeks and don't gain a bunch back, I'll be fine.

Happens to everyone. Just make sure you keep control of your diet and don't fall back to bad habits(overeating/overindulging).

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Shaneus said:
How do you work this... by finding low-carb alternatives to what you usually eat (like that make-your-own-bread and shit) or completely changing what you eat? I actually hate having to make pretty much everything so whatever you've managed to work out would be great to know :)

If you really, really need bread and other carb-filled man-made foods, then get Carbquick which is essentially a low-carb flour mix.

I sort of went cold turkey on the bread stuff and just cut all that junk out. I eat what God gave us: chicken, fish, red meats, nuts (peanuts, almonds and cashews), berries (ras, black and blue) on occassion and green veggies. If you can make bacon and eggs or some meaty breakfast then there probably won't be a need for you to buy Protein Powders unless you workout a lot.

If you want some much-needed detailed advice, go back tens of pages in this thread until teh_pwn starts posting habitually about low-carb eating and read all of his posts.

This thread (thanks to Chinner) will help you A LOT as well: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3299911&pagenumber=1

My lunch varies everyday, but here's the jist of what I have for lunch every week:

2 Quarter White Chickens from Boston Market
Grilled Double Down from KFC
Ham, Bacon, Sausage and Eggs from iHOP
Low Carb Six Dollar Burger from Carls Jr. (although I have this maybe once or twice a month only since it has 2g of Trans Fat)

For my cheat day, I buy one pound of fried Chicken Tenders from Safeway's Deli then at night head to Yogurtland to eat a big bowl of frozen yogurt topped with Butterfinger crumbs, Brownie bites and Peanut Butter Cups. Sooo good.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/04/insulin-body-weight-and-energy-production.tpl

This is pretty fascinating. Really gets going on 6 min in on video one. He basically explains why cal in > cal out is not science.

About Dr. Connelly
A summa cum laude graduate in neuro-physiology from Boston University, Dr. Scott Connelly went on to obtain his medical degree and subsequent post-graduate training in the allied disciplines of internal medicine, anesthesiology and intensive-care/cardiovascular medicine from teaching hospitals at both the Harvard and Stanford university schools of medicine.

Yaweee

BertramCooper said:

I moved, but only about 40 minutes away from my campus town to the lab I'm doing my PhD work at. Before moving I at frequently at all my favorite restaurants.

However, I didn't really gain any weight. Within a week of settling down I reached a new low weight.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Domino Theory said:

Yeah, the blood pressure is pretty well understood. Fructose metabolism rapes the liver of phosphorous, decreases NO (nitrates massively reduce blood pressure, see the ED ads...), and has a by product of uric acid which increases blood pressure.

Dr Robert Lustig explains this in great detail.

And don't just take my word or Lustig's word for it. Read the scientific literature:

http://www.nature.com/ki/journal/v74/n4/abs/ki2008184a.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15111494
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16129731
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17158419

It makes absolutely no sense to blame salt for hypertension, when the prevalence has shot up in recent decades. Before refrigeration they packed food with salt to keep them from spoiling. If you read any of Weston Price's work in the 1800s and early 1900s, you'll see that people eating such food had far less obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer than we did (and tooth decay).

Lustig also explains how fructose causes insulin resistance in the liver, which causes body wide insulin resistance, and how hyperinsulinemia causes leptin resistance.

It just amazed me that people can believe that they must count calories to correct obesity. Animals in their natural habitat with periods of abundant food eat when they're hungry, and they're lean as hell. Look at pictures of people before 1950 - fat people almost don't exist despite people eating "bad" eggs/bacon for breakfast, butter/meat/vegetables for dinner.

Top Bottom