• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Akim said:
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some criticism on what I'm eating. Today I had...

1/2 cup of oats w/ 1 tbsp of brown sugar
1 banana
1 glass of 1% milk
1 apple
2 fried eggs
1 chicken breast w/ green veggies
1 cup of brown rice

I think I might be eating too many carbs.

Bold/underline should go completely. Bold only can stay in moderation, but I'd get more protein and EFA in here. Whole milk yogurt + fish oil with lemon is how I get my omega 3s.

Akim said:
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some criticism on what I'm eating. Today I had...

1/2 cup of oats w/ 1 tbsp of brown sugar
1 banana
1 glass of 1% milk
1 apple
2 fried eggs
1 chicken breast w/ green veggies
1 cup of brown rice

I think I might be eating too many carbs.
That's a hell of a lot of sugar to add on top of oats. Bananas aren't terrible, but they have really high sugar content as well.

Cut the oats and sugar, and the brown rice, and add more meat, more vegetables, add some nuts, butter/olive oil, fish (tuna or kipper or some other canned fish is great), and leafy greens. Spinach with a nice fatty dressing for example. Aside from the eggs, chicken, and green veggies, you're eating lots of carbs, and that includes the milk.

harSon

Banned
Are Carbohydrates really that horrible? I don't recall him saying that he's on a low carb diet, and a lot of your suggestions seem to be an attempt to mold it into one.

harSon said:
Are Carbohydrates really that horrible? I don't recall him saying that he's on a low carb diet, and a lot of your suggestions seem to be an attempt to mold it into one.

Really depends on what the Carbs are coming from.
Processed sugar, for example, it basically pure energy food (ie. fat).
While fibrous foods are used to help bodily functions.

harSon said:
They are bad when attempting to lose weight. Adding sugar to carbohydrate rich foods causes your body to store fat, period.

And he's the one who said "I think I might be eating too many carbs".

harSon

Banned
elrechazao said:
They are bad when attempting to lose weight. Adding sugar to carbohydrate rich foods causes your body to store fat, period.

And he's the one who said "I think I might be eating too many carbs".

Was I doing myself a disservice on this diet then?: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23100212&postcount=2818

To add a bit:

I also had 1 cup of black chai spice tea w/ 1oz of milk, 1 tablespoon of honey and a teaspoon a sugar every day.

Most of the fruits I ate were high in sugar content (grapes, melons and strawberries primarily).

teh_pwn

harSon said:

Well we shouldn't generalize carbohydrates as one thing. I think there are three aspects of carbohydrates you should be aware of:

1. Glycemic Index
2. Glycemic Load
3. Fructose content

Generally something that is high in #1 AND #2 is bad. Anything high in #3 is bad.

So some examples of carbohydrates that aren't that bad:
1. Carrots. While high in #1, low in #2.
2. Berries. While it has fructose, is is a small amount and fiber slows down the release.
3. Yams. While high in #2, low in #1.

Examples of bad carbohydrates:
1. Sugar water in any form. High in #3.
2. Flour. High in both #1 and #2.
3. French fries. High in both #1 and #2.

While stuff like rice and yams probably don't cause insulin resistance, they can be problematic for some people after they've developed insulin resistance.

harSon said:
Was I doing myself a disservice on this diet then?: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23100212&postcount=2818

To add a bit:

I also had 1 cup of black chai spice tea w/ 1oz of milk, 1 tablespoon of honey and a teaspoon a sugar every day.

Most of the fruits I ate were high in sugar content (grapes, melons and strawberries primarily).
Too add to what teh_pwn said - don't think only about weight loss. While a wonderful benefit of low carbohydrate, one of the best benefits is the lowering of triglyceride levels, raising of good cholesterol, and lowering of the bad ldl. Also, fructose literally feeds cancer cells. Adding those things to your food sources may not cause everyone to gain weight, but think about what the dense small particles are doing to your arteries and all of those triglycerides floating in your blood :0

asdad123

teh_pwn said:
Lunches are hard because you're at work. I'm too lazy to make my own lunch, so I usually get work cafeteria food. I get a meaty sandwich with bacon, but I have them remove the bread and use spinach instead. That way I still get a good 600 calorie meal with vegetables, meat and fat to keep me full.

Generally my meals are basically traditional foods without the flour/grains/sugar. For example, today I had mexican. Stir fry lean beef, taco seasoning, peppers, onions, coconut oil. Top it with refried beans, cheese, guacamole, pico de gallo. Absolutely delicious and it lasts for a couple of days at least.

Now I say lean beef because I haven't found a good source of grass fed beef. Whole foods has grass fed but it's low fat, sort of misses the point. I get conventional lean beef because conventional cattle are mass fed grains, so their body fat is primarily omega6. If you can get grass fed, get full fat because the omega3:eek:mega6 is about what you want.

Okay thanks. Any other advice? any little bit help

Eteric Rice

Okay, so I want to lose weight.

A lot of people seem to be doing the low carb diet. I do remember atkins, but I also remember a lot of controversy surrounding it. Also, I remember something about your brain needing carbs and that low carb diets can hurt your thinking process.

Now, I can't be cooking 4 to 6 meals a day or anything like that. I usually eat in the morning, at 12, and then at 6 pm.

If I were to do a low carb diet, what is the proper way of doing it? I mean, a way that won't be harmful to me. Do I have to ease myself into it, or what?

Any good information?

I also plan on getting a nice punching bag for exercise.

harSon

Banned
ch0mp said:
I think he's referring to the excessive amount of sugar in it.

Doesn't a can of soda have the equivalent of 12-13 teaspoons of sugar in it. And isn't Honey a lot better than sugar?

Eteric Rice said:
Okay, so I want to lose weight.

A lot of people seem to be doing the low carb diet. I do remember atkins, but I also remember a lot of controversy surrounding it. Also, I remember something about your brain needing carbs and that low carb diets can hurt your thinking process.

Now, I can't be cooking 4 to 6 meals a day or anything like that. I usually eat in the morning, at 12, and then at 6 pm.

If I were to do a low carb diet, what is the proper way of doing it? I mean, a way that won't be harmful to me. Do I have to ease myself into it, or what?

Any good information?

I also plan on getting a nice punching bag for exercise.
You don't really need to cook 6 times a day, I count my protein shakes as a meal. I jumped right into my high protein diet with 6 meals and I just had to use the bathroom a couple more times a day for a week and a half. My body adjusted quickly and I was fine.

fixuis

Okay guys, my diet is going great. It's been a week and friends and family can tell that I've lost some weight. Now the problem is that during this week i had a gout attack as well maybe because of the sudden weight loss and because I was eating too much meat and brown bread. I just dont know what to eat anymore. I feel low on energy and tired/fatigued/sleepy all the time for the last few days. For breakfast I'm thinking I make the following changes.

2 eggs and a glass of sugar free orange juice and dump the brown bread

For lunch some slices of watermelon and veggies and maybe BBQ chicken or a brown bread chicken sandwich with some spread or a chicken sandwich on olive bread on alternating days.

For dinner just any kind of curry minus any bread. I need a diet which will help with my diet but will not make me low on energy during the day and sleepy and also keep into account my gout problem which is minor but basically asks me to stay away from foods rich in purines which build up uric acid in the body and form crystals around joints. Foods such as all meats and break and dairy except for eggs etc.

I should also add that im getting acid reflux way too much. I mean I basically have to spit every 5 mins :(

harSon said:
Doesn't a can of soda have the equivalent of 12-13 teaspoons of sugar in it. And isn't Honey a lot better than sugar?
Honey is essentially the same as sugar. It's largely a fructose glucose mix, 40/40/20 fructose glucose maltose, as opposed to 55/45 for hfcs, or 50/50 for sucrose (table sugar). So chemically it's not better at all. Added fructose of any kind is terrible for you, and not in the "it will make you fat" sense. That's just a side effect of the real toll it takes on your body.

ch0mp

fixuis said:
Okay guys, my diet is going great. It's been a week and friends and family can tell that I've lost some weight. Now the problem is that during this week i had a gout attack as well maybe because of the sudden weight loss and because I was eating too much meat and brown bread. I just dont know what to eat anymore. I feel low on energy and tired/fatigued/sleepy all the time for the last few days. For breakfast I'm thinking I make the following changes.

2 eggs and a glass of sugar free orange juice and dump the brown bread

For lunch some slices of watermelon and veggies and maybe BBQ chicken or a brown bread chicken sandwich with some spread or a chicken sandwich on olive bread on alternating days.

For dinner just any kind of curry minus any bread. I need a diet which will help with my diet but will not make me low on energy during the day and sleepy and also keep into account my gout problem which is minor but basically asks me to stay away from foods rich in purines which build up uric acid in the body and form crystals around joints. Foods such as all meats and break and dairy except for eggs etc.

I should also add that im getting acid reflux way too much. I mean I basically have to spit every 5 mins :(

Sounds like you're on semi low carb?

It does go away sooner or later:
Although the low carb flu isn’t universal, that doesn’t mean it’s abnormal. For many people, it takes about two to three weeks to move beyond the temporary fog and fatigue. Studies following the physical performance of low carbers showed that initial disadvantages were erased after this window of time. If your body is used to employing easy glucose carbs and now must create glucose from fats and protein (a slightly more complex but entirely natural mode of operation), it can take some time to get up to speed. Rest assured that our bodies can and are doing the job. It simply takes time to work efficiently. The transition actually shifts metabolic related gene expression, increasing fat oxidation pathways and decreasing fat storage pathways. (That’s nothing to shake a stick at!) Within a few weeks, the body should be fairly efficient at converting protein and fat for the liver’s glycogen stores, which provide all the glucose we need for the brain, red blood cells, muscles, etc. under regular circumstances.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-flu/

Weigh in Day

Aug 9, 2010: 281.2 lb
Sept 6, 2010: 264 lb

Reached my 5% goal, next target is 253.

Going to grab some restaurant grub today too, Chicken Tikka and Idlis. Yummy.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
industrian said:
I was 95Kg (210lbs) when I left Korea for Japan on the 15 May, 90Kg (198lbs) when I left Japan to come to Taiwan on the 5 July, and I'm curious about how much I weigh.

My belt is almost at the last hole now (once it hits that I'm a 34" waist.) It was comfortably fitting into the second last hole when I left Japan. If my weight loss from the time between Korea-Taiwan carries over then by the end of this month I should weigh 85Kg (187lbs).

Right now I'm waiting for a work permit application. If it succeeds then I'll need to undergo a medical to get my Resident Visa. I should find out then how much weight I've lost.

A month after posting this and I'm fairly comfortably into a size 34" waist but with heavy muffin topping. I swear to fucking god I hate genetics. Fat goes first-in-first out to the belly area. My new job (got the work permit ok) has a fairly small gym with mainly aerobic machines and I may do some running soon (I'm still recovering from DVT). I'm walking to/from work every day though (an hour each way).

I've still no idea how much I weigh though. My estimate is 85Kg (187lbs) but to be honest weight in numeric form is meaningless to me now.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Lost 2 pounds this past week. I'm kind of surprised considering there were a few days where I broke down and bought the Atkins Advantage Bars and ate two of them at once. I know they claim to have a very low net carb count, but I don't believe it for a second.

Either way, really happy. I've also noticed that on weeks where I eat the Chicken Cesaer Salad from Boston Market, I go back to losing weight. :lol Conspiracy?

Eteric Rice

Okay, that Fitness Blueprint deal. Is it safe, and is the concept sound? I might get the book, because eating like our ancestors makes sense. But I want to know if this is just another fad diet, or is it backed by actual research?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Also, for anyone wanting a good replacement to Soda that doesn't have all the chemicals and garbage that Soda has: get sparkling water.

I just drank some sparkling lemon water yesterday for the first time and HOLY. SHIT.

Eteric Rice said:
Okay, that Fitness Blueprint deal. Is it safe, and is the concept sound? I might get the book, because eating like our ancestors makes sense. But I want to know if this is just another fad diet, or is it backed by actual research?
It's legit and the science is sound. The paleo reeenactment stuff isn't even necessary, but it's a solid framework for putting together a healthy lifestyle.

If you snoop around on his site (and others on his blogroll), you'll see plenty of references.

teh_pwn

Eteric Rice said:

Sisson's book is good. I mean don't just assume what it's saying is true...that's how the diet-heart hypothesis came along. Mark gives references in his book.

My one criticism is that his book doesn't really talk about leptin. While in some cases insulin resistance causes leptin resistance, there are cases where autoimmune and bacteria in the gut (or lack of certain kinds) causes leptin resistance.

But to be fair, Mark gives this info out for free:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/leptin/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/further-adventures-with-leptin/

Nutrition and obesity etiology is still in the works and there's a ton we probably don't know yet. It got side tracked for a few decades due to Ancel Keys and others, but when I look at briefs of studies on sciencedaily, I'm seeing that studies without the assumptions of Ancel Keys are nearly half. The biggest obstacle is the USDA, FDA, and other government agencies that sort of twist how research funding can be allocated.

But in general, it seems that what our ancestors did agreed with the human digestive track and general biology. That doesn't mean we should mimic everything they did, but I think it gives a good place to start with research.

Some other blogs that I follow that are at least somewhat paleo centric:
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/
http://www.paleonu.com/
http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com/
http://hunter-gatherer.com/

iNvid02

your diet should consist entirely of whole foods
- lean meat
- eggs
- milk
- vegetables
- fruit - in moderation
- oily fish
- brown grains (rice, bread, pasta)
- healthy fats like olive oil, omega 3, nuts

eat 5-6 small meals a day, no more breakfast, lunch, dinner

BURN MORE THAN YOU TAKE IN
basic golden rule above, thats all losing weight is about at the end of the day

so either eat less
do more exercise
or try both for best results

Eteric Rice

But in general, it seems that what our ancestors did agreed with the human digestive track and general biology. That doesn't mean we should mimic everything they did, but I think it gives a good place to start with research.

Yeah. The only thing is that I've read our ancestors didn't live very long. But I suppose this was because they were either killed by something, or caught diseases and proper medicine hadn't been invented.

The way I'm looking at it is that when you look at old photos from the 1930s and down, no one was fat. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who was fat.

So the book's idea seems to be sound. I'm going to look into it I guess.

teh_pwn

Eteric Rice said:
Yeah. The only thing is that I know our ancestors didn't live very long. But I suppose this was because they were either killed by something, or caugh diseases and proper medicine hadn't been invented.

The way I'm looking at it is that when you look at old photos from the 1930s and down, no one was fat. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who was fat.

I think Mark goes into that. Also I think Weston Price, and "Good Calories, Bad Calories" looks at traditional diets versus westernized diets.

It is true that the average age was much younger. Besides from predators, there was also lots of peoples that didn't make it beyond age 2. It's not like we have to choose between modern medicine and a cavemen diet. We should focus on learning more about human biology based on our ancestors, and use what works.

But as those books talk about, the average human height went from something like 6 feet to 5 feet around the agricultural revolution. We can look at skeletons of paleo ancestors and see healthy teeth, and compare them to ancient Egyptians and see tooth decay.

In GCBC, Taubes goes over studies by British scientists/missionaries in the 1850s-1950s, and time and time again natives on their diet had virtually no cancer, diabetes, obesity, etc. They put the natives on the western diet, and then they got all of them. In some studies they even had the natives migrate back to their tribes and they found the western disease disappeared within months.

Stephan Guyenet goes over some of this stuff too, and honestly I need to spend a few hours reading because I haven't read it yet. But here's an interesting one showing how healthy paleo teeth were:
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/10/malocclusion-disease-of-civilization_10.html

More native diets/dental health:
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/search/label/native diet
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/search/label/dental health

SmokeMaxX

I've never gotten an answer to this question:
If I'm lactose intolerant, is it okay to still be drinking milk? Is it still healthy? Almost every glass of milk... leaves my system shortly after ingestion.

SmokeMaxX said:
If I'm lactose intolerant, is it okay to still be drinking milk? Is it still healthy? Almost every glass of milk... leaves my system shortly after ingestion.
Why would you keep drinking milk if you're lactose intolerant?

harSon

Banned
SmokeMaxX said:

I'm slightly lactose intolerant (it only seems to rear its head in stuff like milk or ice cream, cheese for example, does nothing to me) and I still drink milk from time to time. I'm not exactly sure if it's good for you though, but I do know with some allergies, fresh fruit allergies for example, the more you eat of the food in question, the worst your allergy can potentially become over time.

Eteric Rice said:

I bought the book six months, it's an interesting read. It all kinda obvious after you read it :lol

There's a 30 day challenge starting tomorrow:

primal_30day_challenge-1.gif

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/anno...lueprint-30-day-challenge-begins-september-7/

I'm using it to get back in the swing of things after a crappy eating summer.

SmokeMaxX

elrechazao said:
Why would you keep drinking milk if you're lactose intolerant?

Well, from what I understand milk is supposed to be extremely healthy. Likewise, it's a natural source of calcium (or is it fortified?) and is fortified with Vitamin D. In addition, it has healthy fat and a good amount of protein. Most websites recommend the whey protein + milk mixture and that's what I've been using. I just want to know if I still get the nutritional benefits of milk even though I'm lactose intolerant.

SmokeMaxX said:
Well, from what I understand milk is supposed to be extremely healthy. Likewise, it's a natural source of calcium (or is it fortified?) and is fortified with Vitamin D. In addition, it has healthy fat and a good amount of protein. Most websites recommend the whey protein + milk mixture and that's what I've been using. I just want to know if I still get the nutritional benefits of milk even though I'm lactose intolerant.
You can get those things from other sources. If drinking milk makes you feel terrible, don't do it.

grumble

harSon said:
I'm slightly lactose intolerant (it only seems to rear its head in stuff like milk or ice cream, cheese for example, does nothing to me) and I still drink milk from time to time. I'm not exactly sure if it's good for you though, but I do know with some allergies, fresh fruit allergies for example, the more you eat of the food in question, the worst your allergy can potentially become over time.

Cheese has no lactose. Some people think that's why it was invented, as a method for people to eat dairy products before lactose tolerance came about. The other reason of course was preservation.

Lactose intolerance isn't an allergy; because your body does not produce enough lactase, the enzyme required to split lactose into glucose and galactose it is not digested by you and instead is digested by bacteria further down the gut. This causes gas and other digestive annoyances. If you continue to drink milk then the issue often gets a little better, but doesn't go away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance

Oh, and you can help with the lactose tolerance issue. Buy lactose pills, and pop one before you drink milk.

SmokeMaxX

To be honest, I don't really care about the problems associated with lactose intolerance. It's only semi-annoying. I only care about whether I'm still getting all the benefits of drinking milk even with my lactose intolerance.

And yeah, I have lactaid that I got for free, but I guess I just don't think to take one before I drink milk. Like I said, it's only a minor annoyance to me and not one that really bothers me as long as drinking milk is still nutritious.

Anyway, let me try for a third time:
Do I still get all the benefits of drinking milk even with my lactose intolerance?

Eteric Rice

I'm still skeptical on this blueprint diet thing. When something says "reprogram your genes!" It kind of sends off warning signs, the same way that "add 3 inches to your penis!" sends off warning sings.

Mully

I've been lurking this thread for a few days now and I'm really inspired by what I have seen and happy to know there is a community here to help everyone out.

A year and a half ago I sustained my fourth major concussion at a soccer match during my senior year of high school. I had a scholarship on the table that I was about sign, however, after the concussion; the scholarship was tossed and I was out of luck.

During the Spring of my Senior year I went out drinking with my friends any chance I could. I didn't care about the next day since I didn't have to go to 6AM practices anymore and soccer was out of the question for the moment.

This habit continued throughout the summer and fall of 09, and the winter and spring of '10. I did join a club team at my college, but the passion just wasn't there and it seemed like I had no energy to really care as much as I used to.

That's when I looked in the mirror and recent photos. I could really tell a difference and became really worried. I hadn't stepped on a scale in nearly 8 months!

Before the injury I weighed a lean and toned 171lbs at 5'11". After my binge session during the end of my senior year and college, I weighed just below 200lbs. I was disgusted with what I saw.

Before the weight gain I was pretty built for a goalkeeper and to be quite honest, the fastest on any of my teams. After, I was still pretty fast, and built, but it just wasn't the same.

Over the summer I started working out to my old routine of running 7 miles every morning before work and lifting in the afternoon. So far, I've lost 22lbs, but these last 10lbs have been very stubborn for me and I definitely need some help.

Physically speaking, I'm all there. My mile times are back under 5:30, I can bench my old max of 250, and I can do as many clap pushups as I want, but the tone isn't really there yet. I have definition in the arms, chest, upper abdominals, but it's the lower abdominals that I'm really having trouble with.

I've changed my diet three times. None of the times have I chosen to skip a meal or starve myself. I'm an athlete, I know I need my nutrition, but it's coming to that point where I am really thinking about taking something out. Any ideas?

Fina1e

Gaf, I am going to start a CKD diet in order to get rid of the rest of the fat I have, because I've seem to hit some sort of a wall. I need some help filling in some meal suggestions for fat calories and just meals in general. Eggs are out of the question, as I can't stand them at all. Right now I'm looking at the following items so far.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to stay under 10g carbs total per day to start.

Pepperoni Chips
Baked Chicken
Protein shake - 72g Protein 9g carbs
Steak
Pork
Butter
Celery
String Cheese/Cheese
Almonds? Worried about the carb content though.

I should be sticking around ~2000 calories total per day.

Fina1e said:
Gaf, I am going to start a CKD diet in order to get rid of the rest of the fat I have, because I've seem to hit some sort of a wall. I need some help filling in some meal suggestions for fat calories and just meals in general. Eggs are out of the question, as I can't stand them at all. Right now I'm looking at the following items so far.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to stay under 10g carbs total per day to start.

Pepperoni Chips
Baked Chicken
Protein shake - 72g Protein 9g carbs
Steak
Pork
Butter
Celery
String Cheese/Cheese
Almonds? Worried about the carb content though.

I should be sticking around ~2000 calories total per day.
FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISH

teh_pwn

Eteric Rice said:
I'm still skeptical on this blueprint diet thing. When something says "reprogram your genes!" It kind of sends off warning signs, the same way that "add 3 inches to your penis!" sends off warning sings.

I feel the same way about that phrase.

A better way of saying it would be "activate and modulate existing genes with better environmental and dietary stimuli".

Eteric Rice

teh_pwn said:
I feel the same way about that phrase.

A better way of saying it would be "activate and modulate existing genes with better environmental and dietary stimuli".

Is that how it's put in the book?

I can understand him not putting it like that since your everyday person would probably say, "What the fuck does this mean?" Probably would have been better if he said, "Make your genes and body work the way they're supposed to!" or something.

Now, it says that you can't eat grain. Would that have any negative side effects, since some vitamins come from grains?

Top Bottom