• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Eteric Rice said:
Is that how it's put in the book?

I can understand him not putting it like that since your everyday person would probably say, "What the fuck does this mean?" Probably would have been better if he said, "Make your genes and body work the way they're supposed to!" or something.

Now, it says that you can't eat grain. Would that have any negative side effects, since some vitamins come from grains?

It's been a while since I've read the book. I believe the phrase is at least on the cover.

Grains aren't very good sources of minerals due to phytic acid (or phytates). That chemical binds to mineral, prevents absorption. At least in the way we consume grains today. Fermented/soaked grains are probably good sources.

SmokeMaxX

Question: I'm kinda worried that I don't get enough calories in my diet. I'm following the P90X portion plan for phase 1 so
5 portions protein, 2 vegetable, 2 dairy, 1 carb, 1 fat, 1 fruit, 3 "snack"

So a normal day would be
Kashi Go Lean Cereal with 2% Milk (1 Carb/ 1Dairy) -OR- 1 container Fiber 1 Yogurt (1 Dairy)
Banana (1 Fruit)
2 Tilapia Fish Fillets with Spring Mix Salad (2 Protein / 1 Vegetable)
1 Pure Protein bar (2 Snack portions)
1 whole chicken breast with frozen vegetables (2 Protein / 1 Vegetable)
Post-workout: Whey Protein with 2% milk (1 Protein / 1 Dairy)

Something like that. It doesn't really seem like enough calories though? I only weigh between 130-140 lbs (but I'm not very tall), so I don't need a LOT of calories, but I do plan on slimming down and toning up in a healthy way.

Yea thats not a lot of food, maybe like 1500 calories.

What is your height: 130-140 isn't a lot of weight especially if you say you have some fat still. P90X helps tone but doesn't really build muscle that quickly compared to a real strength training routine like a 5x5 or compound lifts. Get the Starting Strength book, eat more.

SmokeMaxX

RoodyPooUS said:
Yea thats not a lot of food, maybe like 1500 calories.

What is your height: 130-140 isn't a lot of weight especially if you say you have some fat still. P90X helps tone but doesn't really build muscle that quickly compared to a real strength training routine like a 5x5 or compound lifts. Get the Starting Strength book, eat more.

I'm 5'3". Being Asian has its disadvantages haha. :lol
But yeah, it's probably far less than 1500 calories since I'm pretty conscious of picking foods with low calories (just don't add them up at the end).

still at the 267-268 range, i haven't lost weight since.. went to the doctors got a blood test and it came back with a TSH level of 5.860 (normal is anywhere from 1-4, in march i was at 1.30) i just started a low dose of 25 MCG of Synthroid today hopefully it helps.

Can anyone help a brotha out here?

I've gone through quite a few of the pages, but I don't seem to be able to find what I'm looking for to suit me.

I'm obviously looking to lose a significant amount of weight, particularly fat around my belly, starting from next month (I have a week off with my 6m/o baby, and it will probably be the best time to get into a routine)

I'm fussyish with food, as in I don't like a lot of veg (I love salads though) and I cant stand eggs. Everything else though is fine.

Where can I get some sort of detailed table/chart of foods I can get for a low carb diet, so I can prepare a fortnightly shopping list for the next few months?

Any help would be great.

SmokeMaxX

MarkMclovin said:
Can anyone help a brotha out here?

I've gone through quite a few of the pages, but I don't seem to be able to find what I'm looking for to suit me.

I'm obviously looking to lose a significant amount of weight, particularly fat around my belly, starting from next month (I have a week off with my 6m/o baby, and it will probably be the best time to get into a routine)

I'm fussyish with food, as in I don't like a lot of veg (I love salads though) and I cant stand eggs. Everything else though is fine.

Where can I get some sort of detailed table/chart of foods I can get for a low carb diet, so I can prepare a fortnightly shopping list for the next few months?

Any help would be great.

I'm a fan of P90X. They have a portion plan that gives examples of what constitutes 1 portion of whichever food group you need. It tells you how many portions you want per day, what goal calorie intake you want, and even gives recipes. Also, the program is pretty good for cutting some weight. I've noticed a lot of fat reduction and it's only been 2-3 weeks.

The trouble is, I have next to no time for working out at the moment, as we have a baby a few months back and whilst working 9 hours a day (not including the 2 hours commuting). I'm planning on bike riding from December and if my back gets better, some jogging.

I guess i'm looking for a diet that will fit into my current daily routine.

MarkMclovin said:
The trouble is, I have next to no time for working out at the moment, as we have a baby a few months back and whilst working 9 hours a day (not including the 2 hours commuting). I'm planning on bike riding from December and if my back gets better, some jogging.

I guess i'm looking for a diet that will fit into my current daily routine.

Exercise in any form is always good to have but diet is at least 80% responsible for weight loss. You will lose weight if you diet but you may lose (more) muscle while doing so if you don't weight train at the same time.

I definitely plan on going back to the gym in a few months time, but I'd like to lose a few stone (before Christmas if I can) and then join again after that.

So given my situation, and the fact I like to plan my stuff out, hows best to start to get this Ketosis going? I've written down a list of foods from the official Atkins site that I like, but it's obviously not the whole lot. Is it just a case of going through the nutrition label on the foods I regularly buy and just stick with the foods that have no/very low carbs? Is there any other nutritional values I should be looking at too?

I went to the gym for the first time in about 7 or 8 years just an hour ago. In the last month I have been doing a lot of cardio (running and swimming) and no weights but with a low carb diet.

I have been noticing the results and in the past week I even had got some comments at work which made me feel pretty good. I also have gone down 2 holes in my belt.

But when I was at the gym, I finally weighed myself (dont have any scales at home).
It was the first time since I weighed myself just before I graduated high school 9 years ago.

Back then I weighed 69kg (152lbs), tonight I weighed 93kg (204lbs)!!! I had been thinking I was about 92kg a month ago before I had lost about 5kgs this last month so would have been in the high 80kg range. I was very disappointed.

It was a reality check as to how unfit I was not so long ago and I definitely don't want to be in the 200lb range for much longer.

I'm on the right track though. I ran 6.5km today and went to the gym for about 45mins.

My goal is to get back into the 160lb range (I am obviously a bit stronger than I was in high school). Im only 5'6'' so I think the 160lb range is healthy for me.

Losing weight is so weird.

I had Alcohol+sushi all weekend

Topped off with calamari battered.

Then had a huge carb day 2 days ago downing a whole bag of kettle chips (big bag) and some Dairy Queen.

Then I find I dropped 5 lbs.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
talisayNon said:

Then had a huge carb day 2 days ago downing a whole bag of kettle chips (big bag) and some Dairy Queen.

don't know if you are exercising or not, but that's pretty much my story. as many know in this thread I'm am most definitely not low carb.. so it's have a few drinks over the weekend, maybe some actually heavy carbs once or something in there, then eat probably in the ballpark of 1900-2100 calories (with added protein/carbs on workout days) and maintained my same weight now (156-159) for umm.. I'd have to check my last post in here but it really has to be around 2-3 months now.

Even crazier is I have pretty much eliminated intense cardio from my routine.. I used to run probably 30+ miles a week at a sub-8' pace.. I did it to supplement a pretty standard old school lifting workout (3x10 exercises on one or two muscle groups a day, four times a week). Since then I've moved to starting out on a Crossfit program instead (usually WOD, air squats to get my form into shape, situps to keep my abs active, and working here and there to get my pullups up to snuff) and have very little cardio and...... weight still keeps off.

I know the same doesn't work for everyone, but I LOVE not being constrained in diet or activity and knowing my days of weight gain are behind me. Keep active, don't pig out, and keep sugar and bad fats to a minimum. Hell, I don't even restrain myself on other non-sugar simple carbs. Potatoes, rice, bread, etc. I do try to do as much whole grains where possible, but obviously on starchy vegetables that's impossible, and in the case of rice and breads, I care more about what goes with the food/meal than what's going into my body in those instances.

the big thing in all of this though is to make it a lifestyle change. I will NEVER not be active again. NEVER. I'm enjoying the variety in both workout days and motions with crossfit, while still at the same time looking for strength or time PRs. I will NEVER pig out like I used to. It wouldn't be unusual for me to grab a bacon egg and cheese biscuit value meal (with hashbrown and diet soda) for breakfast, a nachos bellgrande and two tacos for lunch, and then half a medium pizza hut pan pizza for supper. heh.. I mean that really wouldn't be unusual, and as I type that out now I'm like "WTF??????" That's gotta be somewhere in the ballpark of 3000 calories for a guy who was leading a pretty sedentary lifestyle with an office job.

Whatever ends up working for you, stick to it and make it a lifestyle, not a weight loss diet. That's the biggest reason I can't do low carb. Could I have done it to lose weight? Probably. Would I ever want to do that for a lifestyle? Definitely not, in the same way I would never do vegetarianism or eat blood soup or head cheese. I like what I like so it was important to find a system for my life that let me continue with that. Of course I do miss some of the junk, and do indulge occasionally, but really... that's exactly what it is. junk. not "oh yeah, I know it's bad for me.. haha.." but really "umm.. no, that's bad for you. in the same way that swallowing paint that tastes like cotton candy would be bad for you". that helps fend off most desires to go back to eating any of the stuff loaded with crazy amounts of sugar and/or bad fats.

teh_pwn

borghe said:
don't know if you are exercising or not, but that's pretty much my story. as many know in this thread I'm am most definitely not low carb.. so it's have a few drinks over the weekend, maybe some actually heavy carbs once or something in there, then eat probably in the ballpark of 1900-2100 calories (with added protein/carbs on workout days) and maintained my same weight now (156-159) for umm.. I'd have to check my last post in here but it really has to be around 2-3 months now.

Even crazier is I have pretty much eliminated intense cardio from my routine.. I used to run probably 30+ miles a week at a sub-8' pace.. I did it to supplement a pretty standard old school lifting workout (3x10 exercises on one or two muscle groups a day, four times a week). Since then I've moved to starting out on a Crossfit program instead (usually WOD, air squats to get my form into shape, situps to keep my abs active, and working here and there to get my pullups up to snuff) and have very little cardio and...... weight still keeps off.

I know the same doesn't work for everyone, but I LOVE not being constrained in diet or activity and knowing my days of weight gain are behind me. Keep active, don't pig out, and keep sugar and bad fats to a minimum. Hell, I don't even restrain myself on other non-sugar simple carbs. Potatoes, rice, bread, etc. I do try to do as much whole grains where possible, but obviously on starchy vegetables that's impossible, and in the case of rice and breads, I care more about what goes with the food/meal than what's going into my body in those instances.

the big thing in all of this though is to make it a lifestyle change. I will NEVER not be active again. NEVER. I'm enjoying the variety in both workout days and motions with crossfit, while still at the same time looking for strength or time PRs. I will NEVER pig out like I used to. It wouldn't be unusual for me to grab a bacon egg and cheese biscuit value meal (with hashbrown and diet soda) for breakfast, a nachos bellgrande and two tacos for lunch, and then half a medium pizza hut pan pizza for supper. heh.. I mean that really wouldn't be unusual, and as I type that out now I'm like "WTF??????" That's gotta be somewhere in the ballpark of 3000 calories for a guy who was leading a pretty sedentary lifestyle with an office job.

Whatever ends up working for you, stick to it and make it a lifestyle, not a weight loss diet. That's the biggest reason I can't do low carb. Could I have done it to lose weight? Probably. Would I ever want to do that for a lifestyle? Definitely not, in the same way I would never do vegetarianism or eat blood soup or head cheese. I like what I like so it was important to find a system for my life that let me continue with that. Of course I do miss some of the junk, and do indulge occasionally, but really... that's exactly what it is. junk. not "oh yeah, I know it's bad for me.. haha.." but really "umm.. no, that's bad for you. in the same way that swallowing paint that tastes like cotton candy would be bad for you". that helps fend off most desires to go back to eating any of the stuff loaded with crazy amounts of sugar and/or bad fats.

Hell, even I agree with a lot of this. Because of my initial postings in this thread focusing solely on carbohydrate and insulin I'm sort of recognized as the low carb guy. Now i see the insulin-carbohydrate hypothesis of fat gain as a subset of several things you can do to fix your metabolism.

To put it simply, I think obesity is a disorder of the metabolism. I think this revolves around the hypothalamus because it regulates both hunger and calories burned. Sure avoiding carbohydrate can improve insulin sensitivity, particularly the carbohydrate fructose. But I think exercise can as well, as well as improving gut flora, increasing omega3 fats, getting plenty of vitamin D, etc. It doesn't mean you can do P90X and drink Gatorade and expect to lose fat, but I think the improvements of insulin sensitivity from exercise allows more foods in the diet.

I think once people fix their metabolism, their body fat % setpoint is shifted back to a healthy 8-14% allowing a wider variety of "bad" foods. It takes time to damage it again to shift it back to become insulin/leptin resistant. That's why I think you can find tribes that eat mostly yams and fish, whereas someone that already has metabolic syndrome would gain fat in response to yams. Or a simpler example, why some people can drink soft drinks heavily and suddenly start gaining fat rapidly in their late teens/early 20s. It's like how Lustig talks about in "Sugar the bitter truth"...it's the chronic consumption of lots of fructose that does the damage, not acute.

teh_pwn

Rubenov said:
Sugar alcohols man, how do they work? Should I count them or not? After some searching I still don't know what to do.

Personally I would count them. They may not induce as much of an insulin response as sugar, but they're known to cause digestive issues. Personally I'd avoid. If you need sweets, go with artificial or real stuff in moderation.

I think this low carb thread talks about it and disagrees with me, so here's a second opinion:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3299911

How does splenda work? I know diabetics use it but what would it do for a non diabetic? Sounds like a dumb question and I think I know the answer but wanted some 'experts' to respond.

KJTB

talisayNon said:

Dude, I was freaking out a couple of days ago because last week I didn't stick to my diet, cheated my work outs (didn't lift because gym was closed and didn't run as much as I usually do because I would give up instead of pushing myself), consumed a lot of alcohol over the weekend, got high three times and ate myself into a coma each time. I don't know wtf was up with me cheating myself the whole week, maybe the months of being strict on myself caught up and I needed to break away a little bit from the intensity of it all...

I weighed myself yesterday and I still lost a pound :D

I'm not going to mess up a week again for a while because I dislike feeling like my hard work is being tossed aside but damn was it a relief to step on the scale.

Teh Hamburglar said:
How does splenda work? I know diabetics use it but what would it do for a non diabetic? Sounds like a dumb question and I think I know the answer but wanted some 'experts' to respond.

from wiki
Splenda usually contains 95% dextrose and maltodextrin which the body readily metabolizes, combined with a small amount of mostly indigestible sucralose. Sucralose is made by replacing three select hydrogen-oxygen groups on sucrose (table sugar) molecules with three chlorine atoms. The tightly bound chlorine atoms create a molecular structure that is remarkably stable.[10] Sucralose itself is recognized as safe to ingest as a diabetic sugar substitute,[11][12] but some Splenda products may contain sugars or other carbohydrates that should be evaluated individually. Research as of 2003 suggested that the amount of sucralose that can be consumed on a daily basis over a person's lifetime without any adverse effects is 15 mg/kg/day,[13] or about 1 g for a 70 kg (150 lb) person. This was revised downward in 2008 to 9 mg/kg/day, or about 0.6 g.[14]

A repeated dose study of sucralose concluded that "there is no indication that adverse effects on human health would occur from frequent or long-term exposure to sucralose at the maximum anticipated levels of intake".[15] Conversely, a Duke University study shows that at Sucralose consumption levels of 1.1–11 mg/kg (below the FDA 'safe' level), a 12-week administration of Splenda exerted numerous adverse effects, including (1) reduction in beneficial fecal microflora, (2) increased fecal pH, and (3) enhanced expression levels of P-gp, CYP3A4, and CYP2D1, which are known to limit the bioavailability of nutrients and orally administered drugs.[16] This study has been the subject of some controversy, with experts on both sides of the argument.[17] The other ingredients in Splenda, dextrose and maltodextrin, are listed as generally recognized as safe because of their long history of safe consumption.

Ettie

talisayNon said:

What used to happen to me is that I would have a similar experience to what you're describing, then go back to my routine. The following week I'd gain half a pound or stay at the previous weight.

Ettie

Question for experienced low carb guys: I've been doing sub-20g for 5 days now, planning a huge cheat meal tomorrow. Is this going to throw me out of ketosis? Are cheat days even allowed on low-carb? :lol

Ettenra said:
Question for experienced low carb guys: I've been doing sub-20g for 5 days now, planning a huge cheat meal tomorrow. Is this going to throw me out of ketosis? Are cheat days even allowed on low-carb? :lol
Might do them after you have done the diet for a while since you're starting. But you can eat just 1 or 2 things you like, just don't exaggerate; limiting yourself ain't good either.

teh_pwn

Ettenra said:

Yes it will. I mean ketosis isn't binary, but if you're going to load up on glycogen in your liver, your brain and heart will switch to that as it's primary fuel source.

If you're insulin resistant, this cheat meal will cause you to add 3-5 lbs of water weight, you may bloat, get tired after the meal. If that happens, your approach to weight loss would probably be optimal on low carb.

There's so much we don't know about what causes obesity, but I would seriously track your body's response to the carbs. If you don't react and your hunger stays fine, something else could be causing your particular case of obesity. You may have chronic inflammation due to autoimmune, imbalanced gut flora, mineral deficiencies, too little vitamin D, or too little omega 3s. I think this variation in causality is why some people can drop weight instantly on low carb, others don't need it at all.

Gilby

teh_pwn said:
There's so much we don't know about what causes obesity, but I would seriously track your body's response to the carbs. If you don't react and your hunger stays fine, something else could be causing your particular case of obesity. You may have chronic inflammation due to autoimmune, imbalanced gut flora, mineral deficiencies, too little vitamin D, or too little omega 3s. I think this variation in causality is why some people can drop weight instantly on low carb, others don't need it at all.

Agreed. I really think one of the biggest problems with modern society's attitude towards diet and exercise is trying to apply the same rules to everyone. I hope some day in the future it becomes common practice to go into a doctor's office at an early age and have some sort of testing done to determine what sort of diet and exercise would be healthiest for each individual.

harSon

Banned
Does anyone know of an accurate 'Calorie intake/day to maintain/lose weight' calculator? Or does such a thing even exist? The one's I've used thus far have all had considerable differences results wise.

teh_pwn

New low carb meal idea that seemed to work out well. It's lazy, and it isn't perfect:

2 packs of cheese mix from mac'n'cheese
1 stick of butter from pastured cattle
1 lb of lean beef
1/2 cup milk

Basically hamburger helper but with a better tasting and less salty cheese sauce. Remember to toss the noodles.

harSon said:
Does anyone know of an accurate 'Calorie intake/day to maintain/lose weight' calculator? Or does such a thing even exist? The one's I've used thus far have all had considerable differences results wise.

I don't think such a thing exists without measuring calories out, which is primarily controlled by the hypothalamus and thyroid.

Calantus

Ettenra said:
What used to happen to me is that I would have a similar experience to what you're describing, then go back to my routine. The following week I'd gain half a pound or stay at the previous weight.

When i used to be slightly heavier than i am, a little chubby but not considered overweight. I fasted a couple times, lost the weight and continued my regular diet, and never gained it back. I was overeating for a while which caused the weight gain but i didn't keep to that over eating.

Ettie

teh_pwn said:
Yes it will. I mean ketosis isn't binary, but if you're going to load up on glycogen in your liver, your brain and heart will switch to that as it's primary fuel source.

If you're insulin resistant, this cheat meal will cause you to add 3-5 lbs of water weight, you may bloat, get tired after the meal. If that happens, your approach to weight loss would probably be optimal on low carb.

I should clarify that I'm not obese anymore, but I still have a highish bodyfat %, and gain weight very very easily. I'm attempting to lower my BF% via low-carbing. In theory, do the low-carb mechanics apply equally to both obese and non-obese people? (Trial and error, everyone is different?)

Really appreciate the informed opinions in this thread.

Ettenra said:
I should clarify that I'm not obese anymore, but I still have a highish bodyfat %, and gain weight very very easily. I'm attempting to lower my BF% via low-carbing. In theory, do the low-carb mechanics apply equally to both obese and non-obese people? (Trial and error, everyone is different?)

The purpose of low carb is to regulate insulin in order to prevent the storage of fat in your adipose tissue and to free the fat that is there, so yes, keeping it up will help you with your goal. Everyone's reactions to those stimuli are different, but the way the body works is not different.

teh_pwn

Ettenra said:

Insulin is the fat storage hormone.

However, I'm not more concerned about leptin. Body fat makes the hormone leptin. The more body fat, the more leptin. It's a marker of your fuel reserves. One of leptin's effects is that if received by the hypothalamus in the brain, the body suppresses hunger and increases metabolism. It's basically your body's fuel gauge. People that were morbidly obese in paleo days or deathly thin would have been selected out of the gene pool for the most part because predators would have gotten them first and they would have been less attractive mates (I'm not advocating a Darwinian social society, that would be immoral). This seems evident in the animal kingdom as well. You don't see obese wolves or horses. But you can certainly make a dog obese by giving it western food.

I think if you're insulin resistant, you'll have more triglycerides, which reduces the amount of leptin that makes it across the blood brain barrier. But there are other ways in which the hypothalamus does not respond well to leptin independent of dietary carbohydrate and insulin. For example, autoimmune and inflammation, which can be caused by gut bacteria, vitamin D deficiency, and stuff we don't understand yet but seems empirically caused by the western diet in some people.

In the causes of fat gain other than carbohydrate/insulin, insulin could behave correctly, but the hypothalamus would be pulling the strings to 30+% body fat.

Akim

Banned
I changed my diet a bit, I'm testing out some lower carb stuff to see how I would handle trying keto. Today I ate

3 pieces of bacon
2 large eggs (egg white)
1 oz of Salami
6oz chicken breast
1 Cup of 1% Milk
Baby Spinach
1/2 cup of Cottage Cheese
A Flat Out Wrap
1/3 lb of extra lean ground beef
2 tbsp of Pace Salsa

Feel free to criticize/yell at me

Eteric Rice

teh_pwn said:

Does low carb really cause a strain on the liver? I've heard that somewhere.

teh_pwn

Eteric Rice said:
Does low carb really cause a strain on the liver? I've heard that somewhere.

I don't know. I'm not familiar with how ketones are made for example. It's possible if it involves the liver.

But I do know that lots of fructose messes up the liver just as much as alcohol. The "sugar the bitter truth" video on youtube explains why about 40-60 minutes in.

Woo! 84kg. I am officially not overweight. Just gone under my BMI.

9 More to go!

Thing I find weird is that. I had.. 3 pizzas in the past 7 days o_o. Will be cutting down, but overtime these next few weeks will make things hard :lol

Einbroch

Banned
Last year this time: 320 lbs.
May '10: 276 lbs
September '10: 251 lbs.

Almost 70 pounds lost over the course of a year. And I just discovered the most delicious snack ever...carrots drenched in homemade salsa. Slice up some carrot sticks, toss them into a mason jar with salsa and let them soak overnight. Enjoy the next day. So good. Nommy nommy.

Brinbe

Dabookerman said:
Woo! 84kg. I am officially not overweight. Just gone under my BMI.

9 More to go!

Thing I find weird is that. I had.. 3 pizzas in the past 7 days o_o. Will be cutting down, but overtime these next few weeks will make things hard :lol
Congrats man, that's awesome. Keep it up! =)

I'm @ 173 right now(down from 230-ish in June), so still about 4 pounds from that BMI goal, but close enough. I'll definitely get there in the next few weeks.

And much props to this thread, it has been really helpful and even inspirational at times.

Brinbe said:
Congrats man, that's awesome. Keep it up! =)

I'm @ 173 right now(down from 230-ish in June), so still about 4 pounds from that BMI goal, but close enough. I'll definitely get there in the next few weeks.

And much props to this thread, it has been really helpful and even inspirational at times.

It helps living on my own. Right now I would love to have some biscuits.. but there is none in the house :_;. And I can't be bothered to go to the shop and buy some. The ideal situation.

LFG

Neophyte
as of friday i'm down 32.5lbs since june 8. currently at 182.5. my goal is 160. when i tell people that, they (well, a couple folks) tell me that is too much weight to lose and i'd be unhealthy and too skinny at 160. i'm 5'8". i just look at them like o_O i don't know why they think this. hell, i think 160 at my height is considered borderline overweight according to some bmi charts. are people just used to everyone being heavier than they should or am i misinformed?

metamonk said:
as of friday i'm down 32.5lbs since june 8. currently at 182.5. my goal is 160. when i tell people that, they (well, a couple folks) tell me that is too much weight to lose and i'd be unhealthy and too skinny at 160. i'm 5'8". i just look at them like o_O i don't know why they think this. hell, i think 160 at my height is considered borderline overweight according to some bmi charts. are people just used to everyone being heavier than they should or am i misinformed?
People tell me that too. They don't see me naked, let's just leave it there. If you still have fat deposits, the only way to lose them is lose more fat and build muscle. Don't let people tell you what you should be at...they're just used to seeing the fat you.

Eteric Rice said:
I see.

Well, hopefully it won't cause liver issues. Anyone know anymore?
Excess amounts of protein can cause a strain on kidneys, but that's for people with preexisting conditions of the kidneys. This is what you'll hear sometimes about "atkins is bad for your kidneys", even though low carb shouldn't be a 90% protein diet, but rather be high fat.

I've never seen any evidence or studies that suggest that low carb has any effect but positive on the liver. Fructose destroys your liver.

Top Bottom