• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

elrechazao said:
Excess amounts of protein can cause a strain on kidneys, but that's for people with preexisting conditions of the kidneys. This is what you'll hear sometimes about "atkins is bad for your kidneys", even though low carb shouldn't be a 90% protein diet, but rather be high fat.

I've never seen any evidence or studies that suggest that low carb has any effect but positive on the liver. Fructose destroys your liver.
Yup. I'd also be sure to avoid high omega six vegetable oils, which do a real number on the liver. Researcher love using corn oil and sugar feed to give fatty liver disease to rodents.

grumble

elrechazao said:
Excess amounts of protein can cause a strain on kidneys, but that's for people with preexisting conditions of the kidneys. This is what you'll hear sometimes about "atkins is bad for your kidneys", even though low carb shouldn't be a 90% protein diet, but rather be high fat.

I've never seen any evidence or studies that suggest that low carb has any effect but positive on the liver. Fructose destroys your liver.

It's too bad that protein is so satiating, because a diet composed primarily of slow-digesting protein would be great for body composition.

Some people argue that high-protein diets are tougher on the liver because about half of the protein you digest is metabolized there, but it doesn't hold up under testing.

Eteric Rice

Price Dalton said:
Yup. I'd also be sure to avoid high omega six vegetable oils, which do a real number on the liver. Researcher love using corn oil and sugar feed to give fatty liver disease to rodents.

What kind of oils should one use to cook?

grumble said:
It's too bad that protein is so satiating, because a diet composed primarily of slow-digesting protein would be great for body composition.

Some people argue that high-protein diets are tougher on the liver because about half of the protein you digest is metabolized there, but it doesn't hold up under testing.
Well, that's why a high fat moderate protein low carb diet works so well also, because fat is super satiating. Most "high protein" foods that people eat anyway are not even composed mostly of protein. A steak is about half fat or sometimes more.

Ettie

metamonk said:
as of friday i'm down 32.5lbs since june 8. currently at 182.5. my goal is 160. when i tell people that, they (well, a couple folks) tell me that is too much weight to lose and i'd be unhealthy and too skinny at 160. i'm 5'8". i just look at them like o_O i don't know why they think this. hell, i think 160 at my height is considered borderline overweight according to some bmi charts. are people just used to everyone being heavier than they should or am i misinformed?

elrechazao said:
People tell me that too. They don't see me naked, let's just leave it there. If you still have fat deposits, the only way to lose them is lose more fat and build muscle. Don't let people tell you what you should be at...they're just used to seeing the fat you.

I'm dealing with this now too. Family members who spent years telling me to lose weight are now harping on me for continuing to lose weight. At 5''4' 155 I've still got a serious lovehandle problem, which is the most glaring attribute I wanted to correct so badly when I was obese. They'll all be singing a different tune when I'm done :D

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Eteric Rice said:
What kind of oils should one use to cook?

Butter, olive oil, coconut oil.

For cold stuff, fish oil.

I don't think saturated fat is anything to be worried about.
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/ajcn.2008.26285v1
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/ajcn.2009.29146v1
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/ajcn.2009.29096v1

The 1950s-1960s studies indicating that saturated fats were bad for heart health had conflicting data that didn't support the conclusion. This is the foundation for the diet-cholesterol hypothesis. It has slowly evolved from all dietary fat=>increased cholesterol=>....=>heart disease. To saturated fat=>increase LDL "cholesterol" (it's a lipoprotein that has many subtypes...)=>....=>heart disease

More recent studies that don't assume the heart-cholesterol hypothesis indicate that inflammation and fructose/glucose induced small dense LDL subtype are more likely to cause heart disease. I'd recommend "Good Calories, Bad Calories" for this.

I think the cause of the artery damage is probably the most interesting thing that's overlooked. Blaming cholesterol for heart disease is like blaming firetrucks for starting fires. It's Brawndo level of idiocracy.

Oils to avoid:
Transfat
Industrialized oils (soy, corn, canola/rapeseed, etc) because they require heavy processing to extract the oil, are high in omega 6, and tend to go rancid quickly.

Oils to be sure to get:
Fish oil or some form of omega 3. You want 4:1 or so omega6:eek:mega3.

Anyway, it's these sorts of details that make me prefer the Paleo diet over Atkins. Atkins really doesn't say anything about what types of fats you should get. And it seems to matter a great deal in regards to leptin sensitivity.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/further-adventures-with-leptin/

NomarTyme

teh_pwn said:
Oils to avoid:
Transfat
Industrialized oils (soy, corn, canola/rapeseed, etc) because they require heavy processing to extract the oil, are high in omega 6, and tend to go rancid quickly.
Natural Trans fat are good though.

MercuryLS said:
Does P90X really work?

if you dedicate yourself in doing the workouts everyday(well 6 days a week unless if you count the rest/stretching day) then yes

but then again if you do it and then pig out on junk food and caffeinated beverages/alcohol then you're just going to set yourself up for disappointment

so it's really a two pronged approach (commitment to the workouts + commitment to daily intake)

Einbroch

Banned
cartoon_soldier said:
This week has involved me having 3 kitkats and eating out twice. Tomorrow's weigh in will be interesting.
I went to three all-you-can-eat buffets in a week and didn't work out, and I lost two pounds. I know, water weight and all that jazz, but I think cheating every once and a while can be good for the body.

Better to keep your sanity and your diet than to be too strict and go back to old habits. I know that without my once-a-week meal where I just eat what I want that I would likely go insane.

Akim

Banned
Einbroch said:
I went to three all-you-can-eat buffets in a week and didn't work out, and I lost two pounds. I know, water weight and all that jazz, but I think cheating every once and a while can be good for the body.

Better to keep your sanity and your diet than to be too strict and go back to old habits. I know that without my once-a-week meal where I just eat what I want that I would likely go insane.

I'm weighing myself on wednesday, and if I hit my bi-monthly goal I'm going to have a cheat meal. Some kind of burger with a german chocolate bar....mmmmmmmmmmmm

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
metamonk said:
as of friday i'm down 32.5lbs since june 8. currently at 182.5. my goal is 160. when i tell people that, they (well, a couple folks) tell me that is too much weight to lose and i'd be unhealthy and too skinny at 160. i'm 5'8". i just look at them like o_O i don't know why they think this. hell, i think 160 at my height is considered borderline overweight according to some bmi charts. are people just used to everyone being heavier than they should or am i misinformed?

I'm also 5'8'' and have 160 as my goal. 169 this morning. Hopefully I can do it before Thanksgiving. I want to eat a little dressing with my turkey that day. Down ~50 pounds since March.

LFG

Neophyte
Guileless said:
I'm also 5'8'' and have 160 as my goal. 169 this morning. Hopefully I can do it before Thanksgiving. I want to eat a little dressing with my turkey that day. Down ~50 pounds since March.

awesome job man! doesn't it feel much better? :D i've been fairly strict with my eating habits, cheating only for one meal a week. thanksgiving will probably be a cheat day. all that good food, i can't help it, i'll give in for one day :lol

teh_pwn

MercuryLS said:
Does P90X really work?

As far as losing fat? It depends.

I mean it's a solid fitness program. If you respond to good exercise with fat loss, then yes it will work. Just be careful not to overtrain as that can cause injury and elevated stress hormones. May way to do the program at 1/2 or 1/3 the rate if you're out of shape. And by out of shape I don't mean in a BMI sense. I mean how fit you are in terms of health/performance.

The etiology of obesity isn't completely understood, but if you're obese because an autoimmune disorder is causing body wide inflammation, then something like P90X may just make life suck without fixing the problem.

jfoul

Update: At the end of week 7 I'm down from (6'2)285 to 254. Eating 6 times a day, clean and healthy and going to the gym 5-6 days a week.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
MercuryLS said:
Does P90X really work?

The exercises are good dunno bout the rest, i usually have it on mute..... theres only so much bro talk i can take.

On a side note, oh god i just ran. I dont think i have had to move faster than a walk all this year, time to have an aneurysm and die.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
teh_pwn said:
Hell, even I agree with a lot of this. Because of my initial postings in this thread focusing solely on carbohydrate and insulin I'm sort of recognized as the low carb guy. Now i see the insulin-carbohydrate hypothesis of fat gain as a subset of several things you can do to fix your metabolism.

To put it simply, I think obesity is a disorder of the metabolism. I think this revolves around the hypothalamus because it regulates both hunger and calories burned. Sure avoiding carbohydrate can improve insulin sensitivity, particularly the carbohydrate fructose. But I think exercise can as well, as well as improving gut flora, increasing omega3 fats, getting plenty of vitamin D, etc. It doesn't mean you can do P90X and drink Gatorade and expect to lose fat, but I think the improvements of insulin sensitivity from exercise allows more foods in the diet.

I think once people fix their metabolism, their body fat % setpoint is shifted back to a healthy 8-14% allowing a wider variety of "bad" foods. It takes time to damage it again to shift it back to become insulin/leptin resistant. That's why I think you can find tribes that eat mostly yams and fish, whereas someone that already has metabolic syndrome would gain fat in response to yams. Or a simpler example, why some people can drink soft drinks heavily and suddenly start gaining fat rapidly in their late teens/early 20s. It's like how Lustig talks about in "Sugar the bitter truth"...it's the chronic consumption of lots of fructose that does the damage, not acute.
I appreciate you posting this, and also agree with a lot of it. My body fat (according to naval method) is currently around 13% (from 25% when I was at my highest). My body just feels so much different now in terms of eating and the energy I get from food, even bad food.. and I have no doubt that is a result of my body producing insulin differently (less) as a result of my metabolism and body fat %. Though I also understand low carb works and is very good for people who have a really hard time with carbs not metabolizing well, and should be an option for them.
teh_pwn said:
Rubenov said:
Sugar alcohols man, how do they work? Should I count them or not? After some searching I still don't know what to do.
Personally I would count them. They may not induce as much of an insulin response as sugar, but they're known to cause digestive issues. Personally I'd avoid. If you need sweets, go with artificial or real stuff in moderation.
yeah, exactly.. as someone who is having a real hard time giving up diet soda (aspartame), stay away from sugar alcohols as much as freaking possible. Even with diet soda I feel 100 times better just drinking water... for me it's mainly the routine combined with the caffeine that is so hard for me to get rid of.
harSon said:
Does anyone know of an accurate 'Calorie intake/day to maintain/lose weight' calculator? Or does such a thing even exist? The one's I've used thus far have all had considerable differences results wise.
Doesn't exist without calories out. Also one thing I've learned in my year or so journey is that you have to look at your goals.. are you just looking to lose weight, or are you looking to lose fat. For example, in my 50lbs that I lost, I actually lost 21 pounds of lean body mass...... :( That was most definitely not my intent. I still have fat to lose (at 13% or so), but I have to approach it in a way right now that I'm NOT losing LBM also. It means looking less at the scale, and looking more at my body fat.

Ettenra said:
elrechazao said:
People tell me that too. They don't see me naked, let's just leave it there. If you still have fat deposits, the only way to lose them is lose more fat and build muscle. Don't let people tell you what you should be at...they're just used to seeing the fat you.
I'm dealing with this now too. Family members who spent years telling me to lose weight are now harping on me for continuing to lose weight. At 5''4' 155 I've still got a serious lovehandle problem, which is the most glaring attribute I wanted to correct so badly when I was obese. They'll all be singing a different tune when I'm done :D
Pretty sure everyone gets this. I went to my daughter's gymnastics practice the other day and one of her coaches said "OMG you look so SKINNY!" and I corrected her and said "I look fit!" I hate it when people comment saying skinny. To me skinny implies unhealthy and underweight.

But one thing.. well, for me at least that I've realized... is that probably about 5-10 pounds before I hit my goal I should have stopped telling people I still had 5-10 pounds to go.. again, what I wish I would have known earlier.. because it's not the weight you should care about (if you're looking at overall fitness). If you are 180lbs with 18% body fat, you have 147.6 pounds of lean body mass. That means you have 147.6 pounds at the bare minimum that you DON'T WANT TO LOWER. But here's the kicker.. say you've stayed 180 pounds, and now have 153 pounds of LBM. You now have only 15% body fat without "losing weight". You've still managed to turn 5 pounds of fat into 5 pounds of LBM and more than likely look significantly better (healthier, fit, etc).

I mean obese is obese, overweight is overweight, and most of us won't end up with the build of a pro wrestler or lean football player. But IMHO, once you start approaching the bottom portion of the "overweight" area of the BMI scale, you are much better in taking the focus off of overall pounds, and start shifting it to body fat percentage and keeping track of your lean body mass. a tape measure costs like 75¢ and while not perfect, the naval method takes like two seconds to figure out and is at least better than nothing.

I mean you are looking very fit more than likely, so to be honest, telling people that you still have weight to lose does seem kind of crazy. Yes Americans especially have a messed up view of what a healthy weight is (as evidenced by this recent study), but if you are say 180lbs, you can still be in great shape and 180lbs or be in incredible shape only losing 5 more total pounds. Or be in great shape keeping your current say 147lbs of LBM and going to like 2% body fat. So avoid the uncomfortable nature of people telling you you'll be too skinny, and if you feel the need to tell them you're not done, just inform them that like "I'm still working on getting my body fat percentage down". Granted in america again, they'll probably still think you're crazy and that while you're at 18% they'll probably think you are only 8%........ :\ but at least then you'll know that they are ignorant (if they are) and you won't feel awkward about people calling you too skinny.. etc.

MercuryLS said:
Does P90X really work?

I lost around 30 lbs doing it, and wound up with a lot more muscle definition. It does work, but unless your bodyfat is already quite low, you won't be totally ripped in just 90 days. You'll have to repeat the program a few times to look like the guys in the infomercial.

I plan on doing it again, but it is pretty fucking hard, and I don't have the motivation right now. You really have to dedicate yourself to it...but if you do, you will definitely see results. Don't get discouraged if you don't notice changes immediately. Like many people who have done it, I didn't notice much until I was in the third month of it.

It's not a gimmick. It does work, but you gotta want it.

jfoul said:
Update: At the end of week 7 I'm down from (6'2)285 to 254. Eating 6 times a day, clean and healthy and going to the gym 5-6 days a week.

Congrats...but, that's an average of over 4 lbs a week of weight loss. Are you sure you're not losing a lot of muscle? Anything over 2 lbs a week usually means you are losing muscle. And the more muscle you lose, the slower your metabolism will get. So when you get off track from your diet, you will gain the weight back at a faster rate than ever before. You might want to check into it and make sure you are eating enough. Personally, I would up my calories until the weight loss slowed to 1-2 lbs a week.

borghe

ArachosiA 78 said:
Congrats...but, that's an average of over 4 lbs a week of weight loss. Are you sure you're not losing a lot of muscle? Anything over 2 lbs a week usually means you are losing muscle. And the more muscle you lose, the slower your metabolism will get. So when you get off track from your diet, you will gain the weight back at a faster rate than ever before. You might want to check into it and make sure you are eating enough. Personally, I would up my calories until the weight loss slowed to 1-2 lbs a week.
this can't be mentioned enough, and goes right into what I was saying in my last post. And your 2lb per week number is actually ALSO a fallacy. Well, maybe not a fallacy, but like a "absolute best case and under training and supervision" scenario. Untrained and not on a supervised program, the typical number seems to be about 1-1.5 pounds per week. if you are losing 2 pounds or more per week, unless you REALLY know what you are doing or are being supervised closely by someone who does, you are almost definitely losing mostly lean body mass.

However, you have to remember that in most cases of obesity you will more than likely lose some LBM anyway unless you want to end up looking like a pro wrestler and have the time it will take to lose like 70lbs of fat while maintaining all of your LBM.

But yeah, if you are trying to lose like 30lbs, hell.. I wish I would have even done it at 50lbs.. you are better off reading up and learning how to lose the actual fat WITHOUT losing the LBM. At 210lbs and 25% body fat I would have been at 157lbs LBM. I could be at my same weight right now with 0% body fat :p I would have been FREAKING RIPPED!! Instead I lost about 21lbs of LBM.. do I look healthier? Of course. Do I feel healthier? Of course. Am I in "worse shape" with 136lbs of LBM than I would have been with 157lbs of LBM? Probably.. :( and my metabolism is definitely lower than it would have been also.. ah if only I had known all of this stuff a year ago.

grumble

People who are flat-out obese can often lose more than 2lbs of fat/week safely. Once their bodyweight gets into more normal territory then the usual rule apply.

forrest

formerly nacire
I've been doing a Men's Health Belly Burning exercise for some time now which consists of full body movement exercises done in a circuit rapidly 3 times a week. Looking at the scale, I'm definitely not shedding pounds at some extreme rate, but they are slowly coming off a couple a week or so.

On the other hand, my body is dramatically changing. The fat is definitely coming off quickly and the muscle is building quickly. So while I'm not literally losing weight fast, I am getting in shape fast. My wife and all of her friends are damn well letting me know too! (in a good way).

ccbfan

Anybody knows what the best way to measure Body Fat %?

I'm think of using Body Fat % instead of weight to track my current progress.

I've been fluctuating between 168-173 for about 3 weeks now (I'm 6 ft) I worked out more than before when I was losing 2-3 pounds a week and eating better but just not losing anything. Heck I gain weight sometimes.

I'm hoping its because I hit my prime body weight but its unlikely since I still have fat in my abs area and a little on the chest so its not like I don't have fat to lose.

Any help on this?

borghe

ccbfan said:
Anybody knows what the best way to measure Body Fat %?

I'm think of using Body Fat % instead of weight to track my current progress.

I've been fluctuating between 168-173 for about 3 weeks now (I'm 6 ft) I worked out more than before when I was losing 2-3 pounds a week and eating better but just not losing anything. Heck I gain weight sometimes.

I'm hoping its because I hit my prime body weight but its unlikely since I still have fat in my abs area and a little on the chest so its not like I don't have fat to lose.

Any help on this?
best way is to use a set of calipers and use a formula like on here
http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

or go to the doctor

however for just a general and rough number, grab a tape measure and use the naval method here
http://www.bblex.de/en/calc/navy.php

at the weight and height you are talking about, I definitely wouldn't worry about your pounds.

Zoe

Even though it's not the most accurate, I use one of the scales that calculates it because that also gives you your water %.

pubba

I haven't been this weight in at least a decade. I walk/jog for 4km a day and try to keep my carb intake as low as possible.

The 25lbs that I have lost don't sound like much, but it has made a huge difference to my daily life. I have more energy, I can buy clothes from the 'normal' menswear section (not the 'Big Guys' area) and I don't get any back aches or pains these days.

Some pics of my progress so far.

In Thailand April 2010 - 265 lbs
DSC03476.jpg
2010012.jpg

August 2010 - 250 lbs
45025_458858066797_728546797_6215111_2998411_n.jpg
39800_456595866797_728546797_6157415_5282551_n.jpg

Thanks to everyone in this thread for the motivation, and teh pwn for all the awesome info. I've loaned my DVD of 'Fat Head' to about 18 people now where I work :lol

borghe said:
best way is to use a set of calipers and use a formula like on here
http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

or go to the doctor

however for just a general and rough number, grab a tape measure and use the naval method here
http://www.bblex.de/en/calc/navy.php

at the weight and height you are talking about, I definitely wouldn't worry about your pounds.

Best way is those body pod / electrical current machines, I would at least use calipers method to estimate.

Rubenov

So, what else can I dring besides water if I want to remain in ketosis??? Diet Sodas have aspartame, so does Crystal light; juices and milk are out of the question. HALP

CaptainABAB

Rubenov said:
So, what else can I dring besides water if I want to remain in ketosis??? Diet Sodas have aspartame, so does Crystal light; juices and milk are out of the question. HALP

Coffee (black), club soda, seltzer water, sparkling water

I was a big diet soda drinker, so I know what you are going through. I just switched to plain tap water. For me, it helps to keep some in the fridge as I prefer it cold.

July - 320 lbs
Today - 280

teh_pwn

CaptainABAB said:
The makers of high fructose corn syrup want to sweeten its image with a new name: corn sugar:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/14/corn-sugar-high-fructose-corn-syrup_n_716007.html

I'm really not opposed to the name. I just don't like the false public perception that sugar is somehow better. Both are poison in high amounts. Ironically this may cause people to reevaluate sugar in general.

Read this today, thought it kind of echoes the other things I've read about how omega3 fats, autoimmune, inflammation, and obesity are sometimes related.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100902121049.htm

X26

Banned
metamonk said:

I'm the same height, 155lbs, and have a decent amount muscle definition, yet could still lose weight since I have some excess fat in the midsection. At 5'8, by the time we lose the excess fat and get a nice toned look we should probably expect to be at around 145-150 rather than 160

So, biggest Compliment today:

Walking down hallway at work, small company I work for. Only HR person walking by, "Kumar, you have gotten so skinny, I don't know you anymore" :D

But I still got looong ways to go. Anotyher 80 pounds would make me happy.

So it's been a week since starting Synthroid for my TSH, i feel wide awake, relaxed and no side effects as of now.. other good news is that im losing weight.

i started : 278-281 (Late August)
a little more then a week ago : 271

and now i am 260, 262 after eating and drinking stuff.. i feel happy, but i have a lot more to go.

ArachosiA 78 said:
depends. People with a ton of weight to lose can lose a lot at the start. Arbitrary numbers don't tell you anything and are not a valid guideline. If you weigh 300 pounds, losing 5 pounds a week is fine and realistic. It's not when you weigh 150 pounds.

Rubenov said:
Aspartame hasn't been proven to affect insulin response and shouldn't affect ketosis.

I just finished reading The Abs Diet after picking it up on a whim a few weeks ago. To those who have read it or know about it, do you think it's a sound way to eat, workout, and ultimately lose weight and stay fit?

Does anyone here know anything about the "Warrior Diet"?

A guy I know is boasting about the 7lbs he dropped in a week. I'm not looking to switch weight loss plans, just curious.

grumble

betweenthewheels said:
Does anyone here know anything about the "Warrior Diet"?

A guy I know is boasting about the 7lbs he dropped in a week. I'm not looking to switch weight loss plans, just curious.

The essence of it is that you don't eat during the day (except for water, leafy greens and protein powder, basically), but have a four-hour window in the evening to eat as much as you want (of wholesome foods).

There's a lot of marketing and shaky science behind it. I'd guess the primary mechanism for weight loss here is going to be calorie restriction - four hours is unlikely to be able to make up for an entire day without food, especially if your appetite has decreased )the 'shrunken stomach'). That being said, the bingeing at night combined with the decreased hunger some people often feel on the program works for some.

grumble said:
The essence of it is that you don't eat during the day (except for water, leafy greens and protein powder, basically), but have a four-hour window in the evening to eat as much as you want (of wholesome foods).

There's a lot of marketing and shaky science behind it. I'd guess the primary mechanism for weight loss here is going to be calorie restriction - four hours is unlikely to be able to make up for an entire day without food, especially if your appetite has decreased the 'shrunken stomach'. That being said, the bingeing at night combined with the decreased hunger some people often feel on the program works for some.
Ugh, that sounds terrible.

Top Bottom