• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
ArachosiA 78 said:
I'm thinking about giving the low carb thing a shot again, but am concerned about muscle loss. Does anyone have any photographic evidence that following a low carb diet will result in primarily fat loss and very little muscle loss? Over a decade ago, I followed a low carb diet for 3 months and lost 40 lbs. Starting at 210, you'd think I'd be bone skinny after that, but I was still fat...which means I must have just lost a lot of muscle. I didn't lift weights back in those days, so is that the reason I lost all that muscle or does low carb dieting just lead to muscle loss inevitably? If I lift weights this time around will it prevent muscle loss?

Look at phase 1-phase 2 results from P90X. It's essentially low carb + lots of fitness workouts.

KJTB

Haven't visited this thread in a while.

Grats Spindashing on your weight loss, that's really impressive!

The last time I weighed myself in I clocked in at 159, so 31 pounds lost in total... this was like 2 weeks ago though. After thanksgiving break I've probably gone up a little bit but whatever.

I think that I had some mild body dismorphia going on since I started working out. I don't know how, but recently out of nowhere when I see myself in the mirror I see myself as a lot skinnier than I remember myself looking just a week ago. It's actually kind of freaking me out because I must have something screwed up psychologically... the way I see myself is that drastic. Has this happened to anyone else?

Anyways, My current plan for winter break (I get 6 weeks, it's ridiculous) is to get onto the bootcamp workout routine that I did over summer to lose the majority of my fat. I'm going to run around my neighborhood twice a day, which clocks in to around 4.6 miles, and go back to a healthier eating diet. I still eat healthy and avoid soda's and stuff, but over winter break I'm going to go back to cutting carbs if possible. On mon/wed/fri I'm going to be doing body weight workouts after my first run. I have a pull up bar so I'm going to be doing various exercises on that, push ups, and a pretty radical ab routine.

I haven't really lost any weight in the past 2-3 weeks. I've been sick and congested so I haven't been able to breathe well at all while doing my cardio. I'm just glad that I haven't put on any weight considering Thanksgiving just past by.

Messi said:
Weighed myself today.

Starting weight: 378 pounds
Today: 261 pounds

So a total loss of: 117 pounds lost.

I am 6'6 btw. Incredibly happy :) :D

Found a pic to match a recently taken pic (like a week ago)

This is 2008, An honestly very unhappy man who wasnt willing to admit it to himself :lol :(
24v1ov5.jpg

This is 2010, a week ago. You can not image how this change feels.
2ijq5iw.jpg
Holllly shit.

You're a fucking hero dude, congrats on huge accomplishment... Enjoy the extra years of your life.

Wow - You rock

Akim

Banned
Anyone know what my split should be while I'm doing the ketosis thing? I've been tracking it lately and it's been 45/45/10 (protein/fat/carbs)

Messi

Devin Olsen said:
Holllly shit.

You're a fucking hero dude, congrats on huge accomplishment... Enjoy the extra years of your life.

Wow - You rock

Cheers, but being honest here... I am flicking through old photographs and that first picture is being very nice to my figure.

Here is some ones that better represent the size I was. Ill out manboob any of you guys anyday. :lol . Ps, I am sorry you guys will see me without my top on :D . You were warned.

This is a 5xl tshirt :(

111mr2b.jpg

205bntx.jpg

For good measure, here is my face area on my recent trip maybe 3 weeks ago. So safe to assume I look like this now... Also my awesome dexter t shirt :lol

1z3p2ti.jpg

and my body size:

ilgmer.jpg

So, enough sharing for the moment. But I felt the need to correct the record on my size. But cheers for all the compliments it makes the me want to keep trying.

Messi

spindashing said:
Thanks for the compliments, guys. This thread is crazy inspiration, I swear.

Messi, dude, you are a hero.

Man you are pretty awesome yourself. Congrats on your loss too :D

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Holy shit Messi...amazing job! Also, you have the same name as one of my favorite football players. Awesome.

Zoe said:
Treadmills and ellipticals estimate around 100 calories/mile.

Not quite. It depends on how big you are, how much you weigh, how fast you are moving, and most importantly how much you are aspirating. At 6'2" 204 running an average speed around 6.5 mph, I burn about 700 calories in 40 minutes and run a bit more than 4.3 miles. That's roughly 160 calories a mile.

Messi

Chuck Norris said:
Good work Messi. I'm amazed you have a topless pic, nobody would've ever caught me on camera without a shirt when I was bigger :lol

Was never really concious of what I looked like without my top in. Have loads of pictures. To be honest I was never that unhappy with myself I am only unhappy about it now looking back.

Thanks, entrement; will check out when I have an hour to spare.

In other news, the latest meta-analysis on dietary fat and heart disease risk is out:

Stephan Guyenet's (PhD) breakdown:

* Interventions that replaced animal and trans fat with seed oils that were rich in LA but low in omega-3 caused a non-significant trend toward increased heart attacks (13% increase) and overall mortality.
* Interventions that replaced animal and trans fat with a combination of LA and omega-3 fats significantly reduced heart attacks (by 22%). The numbers for total mortality followed a similar trend.

So the key, as certain folks in this thread have been saying, is increasing the Omega-3:Omega-6 ratio, eating natural animal fats, reducing seed oils high in Omega6 and low in Omega3, and eliminating trans fats.

Price Dalton said:
Thanks, entrement; will check out when I have an hour to spare.

In other news, the latest meta-analysis on dietary fat and heart disease risk is out:

Stephan Guyenet's (PhD) breakdown:

So the key, as certain folks in this thread have been saying, is increasing the Omega-3:Omega-6 ratio, eating natural animal fats, reducing seed oils high in Omega6 and low in Omega3, and eliminating trans fats.

Interesting read! I hope this makes a splash.

It's also good that they are pointing out OBVIOUS experiment flaws in their search

teh_pwn

entrement said:
For my fellow nutrition geeks--teh_pawn, bronze wolf, and prince dalton, below is a very interesting talk on obesity and overeating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7M_mqXzpr8

Generally good. He gets the big picture idea right that it isn't willpower, but neurobiology. I didn't like how he generalized dietary fat, or his discussion of reward/attention pathways because he's suggesting that's what's breaking down. It could be that normal hunger should be wired by reward and attention pathways, and it's stuff like ghrelin, leptin, and other satiety pathways that are breaking down. I think you could get rid of fast food, junk food, and food advertising, but if normal grocery store items are injected with fructose and omega6 fat fillers people will still overeat. I know people at work that virtually never eat out, bring their lunch, cook for themselves, and buy the ultra cheap off brand stuff but still overeat. Sure they're only mildly overweight compared to the guy constantly getting free coke refills, but I think there's something implicitly toxic about modern American food.

Akim

Banned
I decided to start taking some progress pictures so that I can actually tell if I look different.

This used to be my life:
rtCRBl.jpg

This is me at 298 pounds, July of this year:

6ltt4l.jpg

and around the same time:

ituLRl.jpg

This is me today at 225: (sorry about the neckbeard)

yN2K6.gif

Not a huge change, but it's still a work in progress. 45 more pounds until I reach my goal. I'm hoping this thread will help me continue to take progress pictures.

smurfx

get some go again
lol not a huge change? stop being modest. you look like a totally new person man. congrats man keep up the good work. btw who is that girl in your avatar?

Akim

Banned
smurfx said:
lol not a huge change? stop being modest. you look like a totally new person man. congrats man keep up the good work. btw who is that girl in your avatar?

tegan from the band tegan and sara, thanks for the compliment

Akim said:
I decided to start taking some progress pictures so that I can actually tell if I look different.

This used to be my life:
rtCRBl.jpg

This is me at 298 pounds, July of this year:

This is me today at 225: (sorry about the neckbeard)

yN2K6.gif

Not a huge change
, but it's still a work in progress. 45 more pounds until I reach my goal. I'm hoping this thread will help me continue to take progress pictures.
GTFO:lol I've only dropped ~30 pounds in that time frame.

teh_pwn

Great results. I think the remainder of your goal may be a bit more difficult. A fridge full of mountain dew was probably sustaining your old body fat % setpoint, and so removing that was low hanging fruit. Keep at it, and increase omega 3 fats intake and start hitting the gym and you'll be there in no time.

Akim

Banned
teh_pwn said:
Great results. I think the remainder of your goal may be a bit more difficult. A fridge full of mountain dew was probably sustaining your old body fat % setpoint, and so removing that was low hanging fruit. Keep at it, and increase omega 3 fats intake and start hitting the gym and you'll be there in no time.

It's definitely a lot harder than when I first started. I'm doing the low carb thing, trying to keep a good split. Cardio 5 times a week and Starting Strength m/w/f. I really want to reach my goal.

Akim said:
It's definitely a lot harder than when I first started. I'm doing the low carb thing, trying to keep a good split. Cardio 5 times a week and Starting Strength m/w/f. I really want to reach my goal.

That's a ton of training. I'd stick to Starting Strength alone, with maybe some light cardio (long walks) after each session to mobilize the recently liberated fatty acids. 5 days of cardio plus 3 days of heavy lifting is really too much if you're trying to lean out. Excess cortisol, which is brought on by overtraining, is your enemy.

Overtraining has the opposite effect of what you're after.

teh_pwn

Price Dalton said:
That's a ton of training. I'd stick to Starting Strength alone, with maybe some light cardio (long walks) after each session to mobilize the recently liberated fatty acids. 5 days of cardio plus 3 days of heavy lifting is really too much if you're trying to lean out. Excess cortisol, which is brought on by overtraining, is your enemy.

Overtraining has the opposite effect of what you're after.

Agreed. I had chronic inflammation around the knee area after being out of shape and too quickly doing lots of cardio. Turned out I needed to strengthen core/hip and leg muscles because there were too weak to support knee movement for hours of cardio at a time.

Chronic cardio without enough rest is going to elevate cortisol which will cannibalize the little lean tissue you have. That alone sucks. But you're also putting yourself at risk of getting injuries like I had, and that took about 2 months to heal with a trainer.

Some truly inspiring stuff in here. :)

Anyway, the GF made a few comments about me putting on a bit of weight recently (comes with the territory when you're not doing much all day at work or when at home), so I was hoping for a few tips on how to lose weight.

Nothing too drastic, I could do with losing around 15-20lbs. I've dropped a lot of junk food recently (mostly snacking in sweets throughout the day), drinking a lot more water and snacking on greens like cucumbers as well as fruit like pears, apples, oranges but I don't seem to be losing much weight.

My meals, I'm eating fruit for Breakfast, the odd green snack for lunch as well as some nuts (usually almonds and some cashews) and a normal meal in the evening. (usually some meat, veg and rice/pasta)

My workout consists of 40-50 sit-ups when I wake up, a ten min jog and some additional exercises. I also try to do the same when I get home.

:)

Is there a workout thread on GAF?

I remember seeing one before I thought, but I cannot seem to find it anymore...

edit: found it, nevermind

Also Akim, awesome stuff brother. You look like a new man, enjoy your life :)

Can anyone help me here? I've been doing Atkins for 2 months now. Lost a stone and last weekend, I decided to have a day off and just eat what I wanted (which in terms of carbs was only a few bread sticks, bread rolls and a Veal steak with some other stuff).

I started stage 1 of Atkins again on the Monday, but a week later, I'm still not in Ketosis.

My carb intake is definitely below even 15g and my foods mainly contain what I had before this weekend off. I'm not gaining, but not losing either and I'm just a little worried that I'm eating this fatty food, without any real positive results.

MarkMclovin said:
Can anyone help me here? I've been doing Atkins for 2 months now. Lost a stone and last weekend, I decided to have a day off and just eat what I wanted (which in terms of carbs was only a few bread sticks, bread rolls and a Veal steak with some other stuff).

I started stage 1 of Atkins again on the Monday, but a week later, I'm still not in Ketosis.

My carb intake is definitely below even 15g and my foods mainly contain what I had before this weekend off. I'm not gaining, but not losing either and I'm just a little worried that I'm eating this fatty food, without any real positive results.

What are your stats?

BronzeWolf said:
What are your stats?

I'll tell you what I know.

16.5 stone
6'2"
BMI 30.32

I do very little exercise (I plan on changing that as soon as I can). Literally just a little walking everyday.

I plan my food intake pretty well as I eat most of it in work and need to prepare for it at home. Protein, Fat and Carb ratios are around 38/60/2. My carbs are mostly from an atkins bar, milk for coffee (decaf) and some salads. I generally stick to less than 100g of cheese a day as well. Meat wise, I eat chicken breast, beef steak and pork, bacon and v.low carb sausages.

This is what I've been having for the past 6 weeks with a loss.

I don't feel tired at all, waking up much earlier than I should be and getting in at least 7 hours sleep. I have though, lost the 'feeling' of being in Ketosis and the Ketostix I use confirm it.

Pretty lost here.

teh_pwn

MarkMclovin said:
I'll tell you what I know.

16.5 stone
6'2"
BMI 30.32

I do very little exercise (I plan on changing that as soon as I can). Literally just a little walking everyday.

I plan my food intake pretty well as I eat most of it in work and need to prepare for it at home. Protein, Fat and Carb ratios are around 38/60/2. My carbs are mostly from an atkins bar, milk for coffee (decaf) and some salads. I generally stick to less than 100g of cheese a day as well. Meat wise, I eat chicken breast, beef steak and pork, bacon and v.low carb sausages.

This is what I've been having for the past 6 weeks with a loss.

I don't feel tired at all, waking up much earlier than I should be and getting in at least 7 hours sleep. I have though, lost the 'feeling' of being in Ketosis and the Ketostix I use confirm it.

Pretty lost here.

These low carb bars can be deceiving. I'm not sure how food labeling is done wherever you're living ('stone' = UK?), but in the US I think you can advertise 0 "net carbs" and still have 30 grams of sugar alcohol. You can still digest that as carbohydrate, just at a slower rate I believe.

If you're drinking tons of fluids ketosix can read a false negative.

When I first started posting in this thread I was neutral on exercise, but I now think it's pretty important in keeping metabolic hormones in favor of lean body composition. I would recommend some weight lifting and some more cardio.

teh_pwn

Speedymanic said:
Some truly inspiring stuff in here. :)

Anyway, the GF made a few comments about me putting on a bit of weight recently (comes with the territory when you're not doing much all day at work or when at home), so I was hoping for a few tips on how to lose weight.

Nothing too drastic, I could do with losing around 15-20lbs. I've dropped a lot of junk food recently (mostly snacking in sweets throughout the day), drinking a lot more water and snacking on greens like cucumbers as well as fruit like pears, apples, oranges but I don't seem to be losing much weight.

My meals, I'm eating fruit for Breakfast, the odd green snack for lunch as well as some nuts (usually almonds and some cashews) and a normal meal in the evening. (usually some meat, veg and rice/pasta)

My workout consists of 40-50 sit-ups when I wake up, a ten min jog and some additional exercises. I also try to do the same when I get home.

:)

In general I recommend:
1. Cut out fructose (sugar/honey/cornSyrup/Agave/SweetStuff) and reduce refined carbohydrates (bread/pasta).
2. Get more omega 3 (fish oil, grass fed/pastured meat/eggs), reduce omega 6 (industrialized oils like soy, corn, canola/rapeseed) and substitute with good fats (pastured butter, coconut oil, olive oil).
3. Lift weights.
4. Cardio/interval training.
5. Sleep 7.5-9 hours per night in a dark room. Sleep deprivation increases Ghrelin, which drives hunger.
6. Supplement vitamin D3 2k-20k daily unless you get tons of sunlight.

Specifically for you:
1. Swap some fruit with eggs for breakfast. Protein is more satiating. Choline improves liver function, which is central to metabolism.
2. Go to a gym or get some free weights w/ P90X instead of doing sit-ups.

Rubenov

Just had a tense argument with a Vegan... I did not want to get into it but the fucker started criticizing the low-carb diet so I had to shoot back. Man, I really don't get vegans; this guy is cool though.

Stridone

Banned
Rubenov said:
Just had a tense argument with a Vegan... I did not want to get into it but the fucker started criticizing the low-carb diet so I had to shoot back. Man, I really don't get vegans; this guy is cool though.

Vegans are morons. A vegan diet isn't even healthy despite what they claim.

teh_pwn

Rubenov said:

The Vegan diet is very easy to break down even from a high level in that it's in conflict with evolution by natural selection. We can compare our digestive system to herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores and clearly see that we're omnivores. Humans, especially those before the agricultural revolution, needed caloric dense and nutrient dense food like meat in order to supply enough nutrition to the brain. I mean just look at the nutrition of organ meat like liver:

http://whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=129

And unlike spinach it's loaded in calories. You can't get those sorts of B vitamins from plants.

We thrive on long chain omega 3 fats found from wild fish and wild game, and we don't have a proficient ability to make long chain from short chain omega3s (plant sources). Plant protein is severely deficient in amino acids like Methionine. In many parts of the world outside of Africa, man only could survive from meat. In fact, we have analyzed teeth of homo sapiens and Neanderthals and found that we were nearly heavy meat eating omnivores in ice age Europe while Neanderthals were nearly carnivores.

Looking further at the human digestive system we find that even with processed foods that make the Vegan diet possible, we don't have the phytase needed to digest things like grains and soy without complications with mineral absorption due to phytic acid.

Much of the evolutionary biology of humans shows that we have adapted to both meat and vegetables. In order for the Vegan diet to be superior, there would be a Darwinian advantage to some sort of tribal people in history. I can't think of any.

Low carb diets were part of human history. During the warm seasons things like fruit were part of a larger diet that was already significantly lower in carbohydrate than the modern diet. Tribal people didn't collect seeds and grind them up to make bread. There was no natural selection favoring grain eaters or sugar extract eaters for 99.99% of human history. There were however famines, dry seasons, and after migration from Africa cold seasons (winter). The human body has a perfectly healthy mechanism of converting fat and protein into alternative fuel for the brain/heart called ketones. The ketogenic diet is studied on several disorders like Epilepsy. What conditions is the Vegan diet applied to in scientific research?

If you want more fuel in an argument against a scientific basis to eat a Vegan diet and evidence supporting health of a low carb diet (at least in brief periods), I'd read:

Debunking of the China Study:
http://rawfoodsos.com/the-china-study/

Evolutionary Biology/Nutrition:
Stuff by Richard Dawkins if you don't get Evolution
Loren Cordain's work on the traditional human diet/paleo diet

Scientific evidence supporting low carbohydrate diet and health:
Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes

Vegans I know if real life are thin...but not a healthy thin. They lose both lean and fat mass. Look real saggy skinned/bony for their age.

betweenthewheels said:
Where should I begin with P90X? Should I initially stick with one of the routines or cycle through them all weekly?

Sorry if this has been covered before.

People in the thread will tell you to stick to the program or something. From a fat loss perspective and assuming you're out of shape, I'd do something like phase 1 of P90X but at 1/2 to 1/3 of the rate starting out. Those workouts will injure a coach potato at the normal rate.

Stridone said:
Vegans are morons. A vegan diet isn't even healthy despite what they claim.

To be fair, if you take the food pyramid to the extreme and literally believe all of the bullshit about red meat, saturated fats, and cholesterol, and you replace the animal products in the food pyramid with sugar, hummus, and lentils....you have the vegan diet.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
teh_pwn, how do you deal with Carlson's Fish Oil? It's $25/bottle on Amazon, but the bottle finishes in alittle over a week (since I take 8 teaspoons/10g everyday). I'm not sure I want to spend almost $100 a month just on Fish Oil. :/

teh_pwn

Domino Theory said:
teh_pwn, how do you deal with Carlson's Fish Oil? It's $25/bottle on Amazon, but the bottle finishes in alittle over a week (since I take 8 teaspoons/10g everyday). I'm not sure I want to spend almost $100 a month just on Fish Oil. :/

1.6 grams of omega 3 per teaspoon => 6.25 teaspoons per 10 grams of omega3s, 100 teaspoons per bottle.

100/6.25 = 16 days. You should be getting just over 2 weeks. So that's about $55/month.

It is expensive, but when you consider 2 bottles every month adds 8,000 calories to your diet, you're getting 3-4 days of food.

last year this time i was pushing a 40 waist (or more...), weighed in at 263 pre-brain surgery, and wasn't feeling it at all.

now, im at a 36 waist (or less...), weigh 217, and feeling it.

go weight loss!

Messi

kkaabboomm said:
last year this time i was pushing a 40 waist (or more...), weighed in at 263 pre-brain surgery, and wasn't feeling it at all.

now, im at a 36 waist (or less...), weigh 217, and feeling it.

go weight loss!

Congrats and I hope/assume your surgery went good. Thumbs up. :D

is so much fish oil required?

I am taking about 6g a day of fish oil, and 3 bottles would last me a year.

And this will sound incredibly pretentious, but I don't seem to be able to put on weight. I am stuck at 190 lb even while drinking milk, protein, creatine, training hard and eating big.

I think my problem is that I srsly can not stand carb heavy food. My heart starts racing for whatever and it doesn't stop until I drink some water or eat something fatty. I need those pounds.

teh_pwn

BronzeWolf said:
is so much fish oil required?

I am taking about 6g a day of fish oil, and 3 bottles would last me a year.

And this will sound incredibly pretentious, but I don't seem to be able to put on weight. I am stuck at 190 lb even while drinking milk, protein, creatine, training hard and eating big.

I think my problem is that I srsly can not stand carb heavy food. My heart starts racing for whatever and it doesn't stop until I drink some water or eat something fatty. I need those pounds.

Not necessarily. If you're eating pastured meat, you won't need to supplement much omega3. The problem is that for people that don't get pastured meat, everything in the supermarket is basically heavy in omega6 and low in omega3. Grain fed meat is high in it, as are most vegetable oils.

It's not a more is better thing either. In labs they have given rats only omega3 and no omega6 and the rats have health issues involving weak immune systems and higher risk of certain cancers. Both omega3 and omega6 are essential fats, it's just that omega3 is very rare in today's grocery store and that too much of either causes health issues.

There are some studies showing that too much omega6:eek:mega3 creates body wide inflammation, and inflammation in the hypothalamus makes it less sensitive to leptin. In layman terms it means that your body's subconscious body fat % setpoint increases. All of the little tweaks in energy levels, metabolism, and hunger favor you hitting a greater level of body fat.

If you're already close to your goal and your hunger is good, no reason to go higher than 6 grams for fat loss reasons. Getting 1:1 ratio of the two fats may improve your health further in other ways, but I think there are other things you can do that will be easier and more beneficial - like adequate sleep and exercise.

sundrenched

Neo Member
Have anyone tried Intermitten fasting(IF)? Seems interesting but research says that irregular eating times can worsen stomach problems if you have HP, or sone kind of water borne bacteria/virus?

I heard IF is amazing for losing weight. Supposedly folks who do it for health/mental reason do it once a week, but the people trying to lose weight do it every other day... Hmmm

Top Bottom