• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to Night Vale [Mafia] |OT| The Dog Park will not harm you

Ty4on

Retro told me that I had been targeted but hadn't locked my gossip boards yet and I had to struggle with myself.

"He probably doesn't want me to tell them I've been targeted but I really want to."
Retro metagaming you?
That was purely me being vindictive. ^_^ I was mad at you, and I apologize.

Being an impartial moderator is HARD, you guys.
Maybe Flush will make a robot moderator?

Bleep bloop.
Breaking rule 46: Haiku line two needs 7 syllables. Syllable count 6.

MODKILL: Bad poet

Sorian

Banned
Bleep bloop

Sorian is a two-syllable word not a three-syllable word.

MODKILL

And then I look over to Flush and nod in approval at the good programming.

RetroMG

Retro told me that I had been targeted but hadn't locked my gossip boards yet and I had to struggle with myself.

"He probably doesn't want me to tell them I've been targeted but I really want to."

See the aforementioned "Juggling sixteen tasks."

Sorian

Banned
See the aforementioned "Juggling sixteen tasks."

No excuses!

It's a shame that GAF has the cooldown on sending PMs. I like to pre-write all of my PM responses for power roles beforehand so that everyone receives their PM at about the same time. The 30 seconds (60 seconds?) in between each PM kills that buzz though.

RetroMG

No excuses!

It's a shame that GAF has the cooldown on sending PMs. I like to pre-write all of my PM responses for power roles beforehand so that everyone receives their PM at about the same time. The 30 seconds (60 seconds?) in between each PM kills that buzz though.

It's one of the best arguments I've seen for running games on OG. However, the voting tool kind of trumps it.

Sorian

Banned
It's one of the best arguments I've seen for running games on OG. However, the voting tool kind of trumps it.

OG post search tool is kind of finicky (it might be me, I don't know) but I know there were times where I would search for a player's posts in MGS and there would be some missing so I had to go sift through manually.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
No excuses!

You think that's bad, what's worse is having to mass-PM everyone at the start of each season when you can only send PMs one by one.

Sorian

Banned
You think that's bad, what's worse is having to mass-PM everyone at the start of each season when you can only send PMs one by one.

I don't mind the load so much of having to wait around awhile for PMs. My issue comes in that I don't like there being any possibility of someone gaining an advantage (or thinking they gained an advantage) via outside means (viewing post counts, viewing online users on the site that hosts the scum chat, etc.) Not being able to send out everyone's role PM at the same time falls into that for me.

As an example, when I do ONUW, I always send out the doppelganger role PM first since they need to get back to me quickly so I can give them their real role PM. People let slip that they received their role already and someone else notices they haven't gotten theirs yet and people start to theorize wacky things.

RetroMG

I don't mind the load so much of having to wait around awhile for PMs. My issue comes in that I don't like there being any possibility of someone gaining an advantage (or thinking they gained an advantage) via outside means (viewing post counts, viewing online users on the site that hosts the scum chat, etc.) Not being able to send out everyone's role PM at the same time falls into that for me.

I worry about these things too. We fixed the two examples in question, if anyone sees others, I hope that they will PM me and let me know.

Palmer_v1

I worry about these things too. We fixed the two examples in question, if anyone sees others, I hope that they will PM me and let me know.

Randomize the PMs you're sending. I deleted it after the fact, but i took my player list and randomized it specifically for sending role PMs.

It also helped ensure I was double checking each name and role before i hit the send button.

Damnit Mike

Ty4on

OG post search tool is kind of finicky (it might be me, I don't know) but I know there were times where I would search for a player's posts in MGS and there would be some missing so I had to go sift through manually.

I actually really liked searching in MGS because I could CTRL+F the motto/tag instead of the name and get zero quotes and mentions. I prefer searching like that (CTRL+F) because I can sift through the posts and their context quickly.

Sorian

Banned
It sounds like he received his old role PM. Originally, Dana Cardinal was the mayor and Pamela was the gossip but Retro decided to switch them so that things were more lore consistent with the beginning of the podcast. Mike must have gotten Pamela's old PM which was for the gossip. So he didn't know that I (Dana) was a gossip but he, reasonably, assumed that there was still a gossip in the game.

That's my bet.

Edit: Also, putting that ramification together, I was so close to getting the override power :( One of my few dreams.

It sounds like he received his old role PM. Originally, Dana Cardinal was the mayor and Pamela was the gossip but Retro decided to switch them so that things were more lore consistent with the beginning of the podcast. Mike must have gotten Pamela's old PM which was for the gossip. So he didn't know that I (Dana) was a gossip but he, reasonably, assumed that there was still a gossip in the game.

That's my bet.

Edit: Also, putting that ramification together, I was so close to getting the override power :( One of my few dreams.

Did you really need an override this game?

Sorian

Banned
Did you really need an override this game?

No, I've never actually needed an override but one day I'm going to get one and I'm going to let everyone lynch me and as the day ends and I'm on the precipice of my first lynch ever, I'm going to enjoy saying "nope!" and flipping that situation on it's head.

Yes, I've thought about this before. Yes, I am an odd fellow.

RetroMG

That's my bet.

Nope. He was originally Gossip Dana, and you were originally Ordinary Town. I re-rolled at one point because Swamped was leaving, and I thought you were leaving too. But I looked at the wrong list at one point, things got muddled, bam.

Anyway, I was the majority of the way through the list. Mike hadn't gotten your name, only that there was a town gossip whose role was Dana, which didn't seem like a big deal, so I kept going.

Then Scrafty messages me on Steam one night as I'm just about to fall asleep and tells me that Mike is being weird in the game thread.

EDIT: I did laugh maniacally when you came up as a Gossip. The Perfect role for Sorian. I also laughed maniacally when Scrafty got Carlos. She had already told me she was going to play an airheaded valley girl, and here she was, assigned to be the Smartest Man in Night Vale.

Sorian

Banned
Nope. He was originally Gossip Dana, and you were originally Ordinary Town. I re-rolled at one point because Swamped was leaving, and I thought you were leaving too. But I looked at the wrong list at one point, things got muddled, bam.

Anyway, I was the majority of the way through the list. Mike hadn't gotten your name, only that there was a town gossip whose role was Dana, which didn't seem like a big deal, so I kept going.

Then Scrafty messages me on Steam one night as I'm just about to fall asleep and tells me that Mike is being weird in the game thread.

Oh so he straight up got Dana the Gossip in PM, he didn't make it sound that way when he was acting sketchy (that was a weird night, I didn't even think to try and message you).

My PR curse was almost broken. Almost

Edit: I enjoyed the valley girl one, Scrafty and I had a totes secret conversation in plain sight before the games started so I had also confirmed that she was still going valley girl too.

RetroMG

The thing that annoyed me most about the whole Mike thing, funnily enough, was the way he worded it.

What he actually said was something like, "Just for lols, Retro sent me Sorian's PM..."

What he meant was "Retro sent me Sorian's PM, I'm telling you this just for lols"

But it read like, "Retro sent me Sorian's PM just for lols."

Which I absolutely would not do. I'm not above admitting I made a mistake, but I'm not about to purposely tank my own game.

Sorian

Banned
Which is funny because there was straight up a scenario in this game where you would PM someone's role to somebody.

I know it was a game mechanic

RetroMG

Which is funny because there was straight up a scenario in this game where you would PM someone's role to somebody.

I know it was a game mechanic

That's true. I'm actually really sad that UltraJay never brought that up. I imagined a frantic search for Steve Carlsberg, or a frantic push on Royal, as everyone tried to claim the prize.

Sorian

Banned
That's true. I'm actually really sad that UltraJay never brought that up. I imagined a frantic search for Steve Carlsberg, or a frantic push on Royal, as everyone tried to claim the prize.

I think Jay didn't 100% understand the mechanic? Or maybe he just didn't say it right on purpose? He brought it up in Jerry's Tacos and I kind of questioned him on it but the answer didn't make a lot of sense to me at the time and I just kind of shrugged it off since I wanted to lynch Steve anyway.

Sorian

Banned
This post:

Here is the crazy thing. If my hunter (Steve Carlsberg) gets night killed or lynched than one of the voters is selected at random to have their full role PM sent to the Sheriff's secret police. (This used to be the final voter but this was changed not long into the game by Retro) I don't know if the secret police role have that power as their default investigative power or if it is a Steve Carlsberg Special. This may make Scrafty still a cop. She may have received Razmos' full role PM as her investigation. You should have invited her sooner in the day so we could ask her.

He made it sound like the person's role would be revealed instead of the person would get the prize of finding out someone else's role.

RetroMG

Yeah, that is unclear. It was that one random person could choose a player and the Sheriff's Secret Police (me) would give them the full Role PM. (Minus the names of any remaining allies if they were scum)

What made me laugh was when people started trying to figure out which player was the Sheriff's Secret Police. I had thought that I'd made it clear that I was.

Sorian

Banned
I was so tired already on day 4 so I didn't even bother. I knew that Scrafty was town because of the whole Razmos thing and she claimed cop and I thought "well, that's weird" and then she claimed Carlos and I thought "wait, Ultra said the cop is probably the sheriff's secret police, what the hell?"

At that point, I thought about dirtying the waters bringing up the secret police thing but I didn't want Scrafty to get lynched on suspicion or anything, just wanted the Karu train to derail.

So yeah, I didn't think you were the sheriff's secret police either.

Yeah, that is unclear. It was that one random person could choose a player and the Sheriff's Secret Police (me) would give them the full Role PM. (Minus the names of any remaining allies if they were scum)

What made me laugh was when people started trying to figure out which player was the Sheriff's Secret Police. I had thought that I'd made it clear that I was.

I thought that the Sheriff of Night Vale would be a role separate from the Sheriff's Secret Police (you).

Oh, I didn't think you were actually serious. I'll put something together later. Maybe we'll have people vote.

What are the categories? I want to nominate Stanley for best persona (sorry Scrafty), and Raz/Squidy for OTP.

RetroMG

Citizens of Night Vale:

Please vote for the following awards via Private message to RetroMG:

One True Pairing: (Best Rivalry)

A. Squidy/Razmos
B. Sorian/Scrafty

Rookie of the game: (Best player in their first game)

01 [m] StanleyPalmtree
02 [m] UltraJay
03 [m] Trigger
04 [m] Unmasked Ferret
05 [m] Darklighter
06 [m] Boo Boo'n
07 [m] Karu
22 [m] gryvan

Best flavor post: (write in ballot)

More when I'm not on my phone at Five Guys.

squidyj

Citizens of Night Vale:

Please vote for the following awards via Private message to RetroMG:

One True Pairing: (Best Rivalry)

A. Squidy/Razmos
B. Sorian/Scrafty

Rookie of the game: (Best player in their first game)

01 [m] StanleyPalmtree
02 [m] UltraJay
03 [m] Trigger
04 [m] Unmasked Ferret
05 [m] Darklighter
06 [m] Boo Boo'n
07 [m] Karu
22 [m] gryvan

Best flavor post: (write in ballot)

More when I'm not on my phone at Five Guys.

pick me up some fries?

Sorian

Banned
Retro has another voting category he wants me to post. Still submit vote to him via PM

Best Mime (Best Low-Count Poster)
Mazre
AbsolutBro
TL21xx
Trigger
Karu
Boo Boo'n
Setre
StanleyPamtree
Darklighter

*Splinter

For best newcomer, I'll vote Karu.

Ok his team got railroaded. Like absolutely decimated. Honestly it was painful to watch.

BUT as the last scum alive in a fairly hopeless situation, he took the most aggressive approach by killing town's (trusted) doctor and another of town's strongest players, while also attempting to silence Sorian. It was a high risk "all or nothing" kind of play, and I respect that.

(In general he could have been more active, but I believe that was down to RL circumstances rather than a conscious decision to lay low, so I'll forgive that)

*Splinter

UltraJay is also deserves some kudos for his neutral win. He did a good job of playing his role correctly.

I was also a fan of Darklighter but you lynched him D1 }:(
Really I like anyone who employs the "fuck you" defense. (see also: I think it was StarSketch in MGS)

Apparently I was supposed to PM my vote? Oops, too late, Retro pls +1 to Karu

RetroMG

By the way, these will not be the only awards given out. I'm just asking for opinions on the ones that I don't have clear winners for.

Gorlak

Banned
First off CONGRATULATIONS TOWN!

and now to my favourite hobby (criticising how things went down)

I don't have the time to read everything but I'm interested in two things:

1. Mazre
He got caught because he didn't have the town win condition? Like the thing we wanted to prevent by giving out an example role at the beginning? :( And his given flavour text was marginally wrong which added to the suspicion? That leaves a slightly sour aftertaste.

2. Curse - Sorian
I haven't read the part at all. Can anyone summarise what happened? Did Sorian simply ignore game rules?

Ty4on

2. Curse - Sorian
I haven't read the part at all. Can anyone summarise what happened? Did Sorian simply ignore game rules?
The curse was you either had to post with the restrictions (in Sorian's case posting in song lyrics) or be role blocked the next night. For an ordinary they lost their vote that day.

Sorian would not be able to invite an extra person into the chat.

Sorian

Banned
In N Out is great. Five Guys is better. Yep, I said it. Fight me, m8.

profile_picture_by_upndisgustingplz-d5plrni.jpg

I miss living in nevada and arizona because of in n out :(

2. Curse - Sorian

I would never blatantly break game rules, please. Retro put a stipulation in that ignoring the curse gave x punishment (which for me would have been a roleblock). I skipped the curse and took the roleblock instead. Retro didn't really want people taking he punishment option though which is where some disconnect on both of our sides came from.

RetroMG

Pretty much. Mazre's death was a gross error on my part, which I apologize for.

Sorian played completely within the rules. I didn't LIKE it, but his refusal of the curse was entirely legal, and taught me a valuable lesson.

squidyj

Pretty much. Mazre's death was a gross error on my part, which I apologize for.

Sorian played completely within the rules. I didn't LIKE it, but his refusal of the curse was entirely legal, and taught me a valuable lesson.

it's okay retro, you join the tradition of gafia mods making horrible game-ruining mistakes.
*stares at karkador*
*stares at ourobolorodosoedusmjdjiu8dijefi;ldssodfluhfdenlasdifvhdsau;lgijhdsfmdsaigfvndsag;ludswhfgud;hjfnl;asdjifadhfu;asdufhas;dfjkd;fijdf;uhd*

Top Bottom