• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What have you just bought?

Rival

Gold Member
QGVSEai.jpg

Some new kicks arriving tomorrow.

SegaHeart

Banned
food. my freezer was literally empty. well, nothing worth eating. all that was inside it was a packet of frozen chillis and icecream/ice lollies. i hate freezing chillis as i prefer them to dry out for a stronger taste and it's too fucking cold for icecream/lollies.

food i bought:

2 bags of baby potatoes (fucking love boiled potatoes with a fuck load of butter)
bag of chips.
waffles
hash browns
croquettes
vegeterian chicken nuggets
vegeterian fish fingers
vegeterian fish fillet
vegetable fingers
vegeterian chicken dippers
smileys :D
potato stars :D

can you guess what my favourite kind of food is? potato. and yes i still buy food aimed at kids. these are lovely:

iu

iu

i was thinking also about buying Nier Automata for Switch but I don't know. I have it on PC so could play it there but I need to mod it to get it working. On one hand I can't be arsed setting it up so it makes sense to get it on Switch but then i'm buying a game i already own. That said, I definitely ain't cancelling my Persona 5 Royal preorder lol. 2 weeks to go!

not bought anything else. might get a take out tonight though.

lol how did you go from "i don't care if it's shit" to "i returned the lite as it's shit" ? what was it that made you think nah this really is shit i can't deal with it?

i agree, the OLED Switch is what the original model should've been. the 2019 revision isn't bad and as much as i love OLED the screen on the 2017/2019 model didn't bother me it was just those huge bezels. the OLED feels more solid and has a much better kickstand. the speakers are meant to be better too but i don't notice any difference.
I'm hungry for those, heres what I bought today
rAV2To7.jpg

Small bag of Flame ranch doritos
z1pFCnf.jpg

3 (1x £25, 2x £15) eshop codes to buy Persona 5 Royal on Switch

and Volume 9 of Persona 5 Manga on Kindle

abHmQ0S.jpg

i also bought Football Manager 23 on Steam for £35.99 but i refunded it. I quickly remembered why I gave up on those games lol. I'm getting the money refunded to my Steam Wallet so looking for something to spend it on.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're not for you or you get super addicted?
Both I suppose lol.

They are addictive and time goes by so damn fast. I played 3 hours of FM23 and it felt like only half an hour lol. I went over the 2 hour limit but still Steam refunded me.

I enjoyed previous games. The last one I bought was 2020. For some reason 23 felt way more overwhelming to me. I know it's a mangement simulator but the amount of micromanagement is insane. I used to delegate a lot of stuff like scouting, staff, individual training, contract negotations so i could just focus on signing players, creating a tactic, and picking my team. You can still do that but I don't know it just feels quite different.

Usually when I play i always become manager of my favourite club so I'm going into a club that has quite a bit of money to spend, professional players, exisiting scouts/medics/directors, good training facilities, etc. This time I started unemployed, went into a semi professional team, and had a super tight budget (£10k transfer, £4.5k/week wages). I did think about scrapping that and going to my favourite club but I couldn't be arsed with it.

I'll probably just wait for FIFA 23 to go on sale and pick that up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Both I suppose lol.

They are addictive and time goes by so damn fast. I played 3 hours of FM23 and it felt like only half an hour lol. I went over the 2 hour limit but still Steam refunded me.

I enjoyed previous games. The last one I bought was 2020. For some reason 23 felt way more overwhelming to me. I know it's a mangement simulator but the amount of micromanagement is insane. I used to delegate a lot of stuff like scouting, staff, individual training, contract negotations so i could just focus on signing players, creating a tactic, and picking my team. You can still do that but I don't know it just feels quite different.

Usually when I play i always become manager of my favourite club so I'm going into a club that has quite a bit of money to spend, professional players, exisiting scouts/medics/directors, good training facilities, etc. This time I started unemployed, went into a semi professional team, and had a super tight budget (£10k transfer, £4.5k/week wages). I did think about scrapping that and going to my favourite club but I couldn't be arsed with it.

I'll probably just wait for FIFA 23 to go on sale and pick that up :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I wish I liked football enough to get into it. I love spreadsheets and data. I see the devs have an old Hockey Manager game that might be more up my alley.

I wish I liked football enough to get into it. I love spreadsheets and data. I see the devs have an old Hockey Manager game that might be more up my alley.
I've never played it but there is an F1 management game.

It's not made by Sega but Frontier (Elite Dangerous, Planet Zoo, Jurassic World Evolution, etc). I don't know if you're into F1 or cars but it seems to be the closest thing to FM i've found. I have thought about giving it a try.

Neely

Neo Member
Both I suppose lol.

For some reason devs(for most games) think that pilling up mechanics on top of mechanics(complexity) makes game more enjoyable. Can't really talk for managers, but shooters and slashers got that problem lately. It used to be that you have a few mechanics, but gun play (remember CS and stuff with tight feeling M4 and AR-15 ) feels good so you just enjoy the game. Now you have abilities or some sort of micromanagement cooldowns to do stuff, etc, etc.
For some reason devs(for most games) think that pilling up mechanics on top of mechanics(complexity) makes game more enjoyable. Can't really talk for managers, but shooters and slashers got that problem lately. It used to be that you have a few mechanics, but gun play feels good so you just enjoy the game. Now you have abilities or some sort of micromanagement cooldowns to do stuff, etc, etc.

Last edited:
For some reason devs(for most games) think that pilling up mechanics on top of mechanics(complexity) makes game more enjoyable. Can't really talk for managers, but shooters and slashers got that problem lately. It used to be that you have a few mechanics, but gun play feels good so you just enjoy the game. Now you have abilities or some sort of micromanagement cooldowns to do stuff, etc, etc.
You know that just made me think of Doom Eternal lol.

In Doom (2016) you had a couple guns, a grenade, and a health bar. Maybe some armor. There were loadouts/skills and items you could find to boost your stats/attacks but it wasn't in your face. The game felt simple in that all it wanted you to do was go out and slay demons to a kick ass soundtrack.

Doom Eternal felt like they were trying too hard by adding more stuff to it. You had more guns, attacks, moves, etc and you could do more upgrades. It felt like they added it all in just for the sake of being like "look what's new!" and forgot what made the first game so good.

It's been a while since I played them so my memory isn't great but I think this sums it up... There's just more shit on the screen to keep track of. It's a mess:

iu

iu

Neely

Neo Member
You know that just made me think of Doom Eternal lol.

In Doom (2016) you had a couple guns, a grenade, and a health bar. Maybe some armor. There were loadouts/skills and items you could find to boost your stats/attacks but it wasn't in your face. The game felt simple in that all it wanted you to do was go out and slay demons to a kick ass soundtrack.

Doom Eternal felt like they were trying too hard by adding more stuff to it. You had more guns, attacks, moves, etc and you could do more upgrades. It felt like they added it all in just for the sake of being like "look what's new!" and forgot what made the first game so good.

It's been a while since I played them so my memory isn't great but I think this sums it up... There's just more shit on the screen to keep track of. It's a mess:

iu

iu
I mean that's prime example, maybe not as drastic of a change, still felt okay-ish in Eternal. But definitely a lot more micromanagement compared to 2016. I'd say my best example of keeping it simple and just upgrading what you have is Bioshock series: in first you've had some micromanagement, it's been a bit clunky to shoot - still felt good. Instead of pilling up mechanics, by the time Bioshock infinite came out devs polished out systems without adding too much bulk on top: now you can shoot and use plasmids, alternative plasmid usage(traps). Some decisions are more questionable(only 2 gun slots, no first aid kits to carry, etc), but it kinda made game more dynamic, esp on harder difficulties.

Mohonky

Vc4oVTK.jpg
npsoYMc.jpg

DQ5gudo.jpg

Bought new wheels for my emtb.

Carbon WeAreOne Union with Sapim Race spokes and Erase hubs. $2.5k AUD for the wheels. Worth it? Dunno, huge amount of money for wheels, but definitely feels like it tracks better, feels more lively on the trail and seems to give me a bit more pop on jumps (not that I can jump for shit, but definitely feels better).

Also new brake rotor and pads for the rear after I cooked my standard ones.

Vc4oVTK.jpg
npsoYMc.jpg

DQ5gudo.jpg

Bought new wheels for my emtb.

Carbon WeAreOne Union with Sapim Race spokes and Erase hubs. $2.5k AUD for the wheels. Worth it? Dunno, huge amount of money for wheels, but definitely feels like it tracks better, feels more lively on the trail and seems to give me a bit more pop on jumps (not that I can jump for shit, but definitely feels better).

Also new brake rotor and pads for the rear after I cooked my standard ones.
Nice choice, they make good wheels. Hope you bought a beefy version as you can't go too strong for an ebike.

Mohonky

Nice choice, they make good wheels. Hope you bought a beefy version as you can't go too strong for an ebike.
Yeh they are the Union 30mm for Enduros, the next model is the Strife for Downhill.

I purchased these from a distributor in Aus who built the wheels for me and I had told them they were going on an ebike.

Very stoked on them, and with a lifetime warranty they'll be my 'forever' wheels that follow me bike to bike.

12 months of Spotify, for the price of 10. I am on a 2 month free trial so i'm good until 21st December 2023 :D. Got 14 months and only paid for 10.

IiqOZqd.jpg

also ticket to see Biffy Clyro, that was ~£72 for a standing ticket.

YQsnswX.jpg

Esca

Just bought the new star ocean. My plan is to have it beaten by the time Callisto Protocol comes out :D

Winter John

I was drunk searching on Amazon the other night and bought myself a pair of Solovair boots. I hope they're as good as my old Docs. Them things lasted about 25 years. Also treated myself to a black cashmere overcoat a few weeks back. The thing is so expensive and good looking I'm afraid to wear it. I put it on once to try it. Then I got nervous I'd ruin it and haven't worn it since.

gladdys

Battle zone zone redux, rogue trooper and a collection of the psycops comic strips which ran in the 90s in the sun newspaper. Got some John burns art in there.

Dark Star

thursday captain boots (brown)

teamsesh cargo boots (pebble, rust)

I guess I've started a boot collection, I got doc martins (1460 black) and a cheaper brand pair of Chelsea boots from DSW, crown vintage ( this year too.

Last edited:
new shoes! i do a fuck load of walking at work and my work shoes were worn out. don't think i've had them even a year. don't know how many times i've nearly fell recently because they are so flat now. this morning i nearly fell on my ass leaving the house. i was walking about today and was sliding about lol so thought fuck this it's time for a new pair before i make a fool of myself or kill myself! also i was wanting something more waterproof because here it rains all the time and i'm tired of my feet/socks being soaked. went into the sketchers shop and got these. threw my old shoes right into the bin! this image seems to show that the ankle is higher than what i have. maybe it's just the scale of the photo but these are the same design i have.

204628_CHAR.jpg

my old shoes were skechers too. people make fun of them but hey i get a discount on them through my work so you're damn right i'm going there!

also got a new SSD for my PC:

719mEO3dfzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

recently started dual booting linux and windows. my old 250GB was enough for just windows but seems like it's not enough now for both linux and windows. 500GB will do so that each OS gest ~230GB each (after formatting). it's a Pcie 3.0 drive but whatever it was only £47 (i remember paying £280 for a 250GB ssd. wow prices have really came down). i could've got a PCIE 4.0 drive but i dont have a PCIE 4.0 board/cpu and if i ever upgrade i'll be going with 5.0 anyway. this one is faster than what i have. my current 250gb samsung is 3.2GB/s read and 1.5GB/s write. this one is 3.1GB/s and 2.6GB/s. doubt i'll notice the difference but whatever.

Top Bottom