• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most you have ever spent on a single videogame?

Hyun Sai

Well, I had a Neo Geo, but when I think of it, a little than one year on Everquest, cost of the games, 2 extensions, and the monthly subscription...

I think subscription based MMO players must have the record here.

macewank

not counting countless dollars spent in arcades as a kid, or MMO sub fees i'd say $200 .. Steel Battalion for Xbox.

or, if we want to get snarky,

$400 for New Super Mario Bros U :)

Acageron

Dark Souls. Got it for PS3 full price when it came out. Then, got it day 1 on PC with the DLC edition. Rebought the DLC later on PS3 to have a better online experience.

Dammit.. I love dark souls.

I've never bought anything for ebay collector's prices, retroactively.

$84.99 + tax for Chrono Trigger on release day. First game I ever pre-ordered, and it was worth every penny.

Luckily I didn't buy Phantasy Star IV for the local KB Toys going rate of $99, and picked up my own copy for $10 in 1997.

dhonk

That GTAIV special edition. (I've used the duffle quite a bit actually. One of the better special editions. And WoW for 2 years.

Since then I've given up paying full price, last game I bought for my PS3 was Uncharted 2. It's all steam sales from here on out.

MoxManiac

Do multiple versions of the same game count? Ive bought about 7 versions of street fighter alpha 3 across different platforms.

I even made a thread about it years ago and the first reply told me i was sick and needed professional help.

160 so far for star citizen , a game not even out yet. my God I might even get the 250 dollar package. dam you Chris Roberts!

espher

Rock Band (RB1 bundle x2 [sold drums and disc; did it for a second guitar], RB2 standalone, RB2 bundle, RB2 second guitar, RB3, RB3 keyboard, AC/DC, Green Day, Beatles bundle, all DLC, ~120 RBN songs).

Excluding DLC (and subscription fees, to write MMOs off), the Camelot Unchained Kickstarter ($1,350).

Excluding games that haven't come out yet, Suikoden II ($135).

Excluding used titles... maybe the GTA 4 Collector's Edition?

Jobbs

Banned
I still have a sealed copy of 'lord of destruction'. back when that thing came out, there was some weird problem with my gamestop online order, and it took forever to ship, then for some reason they gave me two.

Anyway, the answer would have to be World of Warcraft, I've paid the subscription fee many many times as well as purchased expansions. I'm afraid to estimate what the total expenditure is.

In recent times, probably league of legends. I've purchased many skins. I'm ashamed to admit it.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Neo-Geo games back in the day. I think they were around $200 or something. It has been so long I don't remember the price, but I mowed a lot of lawns to get some of them.

Yawnier

Banned
$169, I believe, for the full band kit.

If I wanted to add in cost of other instruments for RB2, it would be $60 + another $80 or so for the RB2 pro drums + $69 for the Fender Bass + $70 for GH3 with the wireless Les Paul. So not all at once, but overall: $279.

I don't even want to calculate how much money I've spent on DLC.

And I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. Years of enjoyment.

Yeah, I think I would have spent around $230ish considering that I also bought The Beatles Rock Band and the AC DC one as well.

Don`t regret it though, RB was a really good party game when you had some friends over.

bounchfx

rock band/GH series. probably dropped over 1-2k total after all the dlc, games, and peripherals.

worth every penny.

Weiss

Banned
Tales of Eternia. $150

5167851890e06.jpg

Anteo

Fire Emblem Awakening:
Full Price from eshop day one. $42
Bought all of the DLC. Between 50-60 dolars iirc

MikeRox

I paid £80.00 for Initial D: Special Stage but purely for the 24 hour International shipping from Japan. Got to the UK in about 16 hours, then took Parcel Farse another week to get it to me :(

Had a similarly bad tale with Ragnarok Odyssey on Vita. Though I got a bargain (as far as being in the UK goes) having got it for $49.99 from Gamestop in the US when I was visiting my fiancee, however they misplaced the soundtrack and didn't provide it. When I returned to the store, they couldn't find it, so re-ordered me a new version.

Having already paid state tax, they ordered me a replacement copy but I was returning to the UK so they very kindly ordered me a copy of the LE off their website shipping it to the UK, Great I thought! but then it turned up and included a £20 import duty charge... even though I'd already paid sales tax in St Louis >_<

Final one was £100 for Samba De Amigo with maracas... but that was worth it! :D

Exentryk

100+ for Xenosaga 1. Couldn't find it anywhere. Disappointing thing is that I put it down after 2 hours. Battle system is too slow, clunky. >_>

I believe it was over $60 for The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition. I normally don't pay over full price for a game.

Kritz

Banned

$120 - Fable 3.

This was at a time when Australian retail prices weren't even that bad. Like, $79 for most games at retail and $59 for most games via importing. And it was at a time where the AUD was worth more than the USD.

I'm not a clever man.

Zuly

I think I've bought every single port, remake, rehash, remix, etc on every available platform of Street Fighter 2.

Fjordson

$150 for the Halo 3 legendary edition I think.

Never again. I felt like such a dope after buying that thing :lol ever since then I've held off on collector's editions.

About $100 for the PAL Shenmue II (Dreamcast) and the conversion disc. This was before the Xbox version made it to North America.

mollipen

Most I've ever paid for one single game (that wasn't any sort of limited edition or bundled with a controller) was somewhere between $250 and $299 when I picked up the home Neo Geo AES version of Samurai Shodown IV when it first hit. I can't remember the exact price, but I believe it was on the higher end of that range.

$60. I'm mainly a Wii/DS gamer, so all of my new games this gen were $50 and under, but the first and only $60 game I bought so far was Tales of Graces f on PS3, preordered.

(F.Edit: It was actually Skyward Sword: Collector's Edition for $70.)

I will spend more than that soon, though. I plan on getting Xillia Collector's Edition for $80 and GTA V Collector's Edition, also $80.

Calibus

Tie between the original Steel Battalion (massive controller + game) and Halo 3 (bought a regular copy of the game + a Collector's Edition with the helmet).

dog$

Hates quality gaming
$600 for an AES version of Pulstar, off of ebay, sold by Adol.

Twelve fifties wrapped in tinfoil and sent in a paper envelope to France.

I received an MVS hack.

Thankfully, I managed to sell it off years later and recouped most of my expense.

Kajiba

Bioshock infinite Song bird or Berserk Branded box.

I think Bioshock was more by $10 dollars maybe.

$150

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
$80 1993 dollars (+tax) for the 32X port of Virtua Fighter at Sears of all places.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Do multiple versions of the same game count? Ive bought about 7 versions of street fighter alpha 3 across different platforms.

I even made a thread about it years ago and the first reply told me i was sick and needed professional help.

Haw, I remember that.

One of the Assassin's Creed Collectors Editions with the figurine/statue. I think it was $119 AUD or something like that. Don't remember exactly.

EDIT: Actually, I bought my Xbox 360 just for Forza 4, so that's probably the most expensive game I own.

Watevaman

For a single "game" it has to be whatever the GT5 collector's edition cost, which I think was like 100 USD.

Now if you count me buying my steering wheel and playseat pretty much for GT5, then that brings it up to nearly 500.

Top Bottom