• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most you have ever spent on a single videogame?

injurai

Banned
Well I bought the MGS4 PS3 bundle, and then bought the MGS4 CE separately so I have two copies. Guess that would be $80 for CE but even more if you want to count me double dipping right out of the gate. One of the more illogical purchases of mine, but I wanted that 80GB ps3.

larvi

Around $85 for this:

DSCN0954e.JPG

Yeah, pretty embarrassing, but the kids really wanted it for a Christmas gift. I had to scour several stores before I found it in stock. I think they played it for a grand total of about 5 hours in the first week then it sits in a box to this day. The game was pretty bad.

monlo

Everquest. $10/mo to play.. Plus what...6 expansions @ ~$30each?

Played for two years.

Ended up selling the account and making ~1000 profit in the end, but I upfront spent a few hundred

KaYotiX

Banned
If we counted DLC for Rockband, over a few hundred.Plus instruments and the other big box sets that included all the instruments......prolly close to $800 or so lol. Still play it though!!!

I also paid $80 for Chrono Trigger on the SNES, same with FF3 (6 w/e)

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Probably the Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets LE. Between EMS shipping and the shit exchange rate it ended up being slightly over $110.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Imported a PS2 at JPN launch with RRV and TTT IIRC. Cost over $900...I was young and stupid. Even at the time I had remorse but RRV gave me many hours of thrills.

daftstar

Pretty sure it's Mass Effect 3 for me. $80 for N7 Collector's Edition plus $15(?) each on Omega and Citadel DLCs.

I'd say it was worth it. Great game and I spent many hours on multiplayer as well.

Yes Boss!

About $900 on a Cave PCB.

I actually wound up selling it, after having it for four years, for about $1200. I converted it into another PCB that was about $500.

Also, I just bought a dedicated Arcade Cabinet for about $2000 to play one single music game. There won't be anything else going in there.

japtor

(Cost of console doesnt count unless you needed an arcade cabinet or spent something extravagant for a rare console just to play that game)
Not extravagant or rare, but I bought the $200 360 to play Pacman CE and Trials HD. Seriously those were the only games I had for a few months (...and it was the 256MB model before USB storage was allowed, so I could only hold one of those games at a time).

Otherwise I did the opposite, I bought a Sega Astro City for $340, then bought Dangun Feveron from the guy for $140 to have something to play on it (plus I liked DF to begin with). I also bought a big ass Midway cab on eBay for around $400 cause it had Espgaluda in it. Pulled the board out and left the cab in my truck for a few weeks looking for a buyer. Eventually just gave it to a friend to get rid of it. Most of my boards were in the $150-400 range I think. And recently I spent $240 to hook up the 360 to the cab to play ports, that saves me a few thousand thankfully.

pa22word

Well...I'll just say this:

I have a complete Looking Glass (including the trapezoid Thiefs and System Shock Enhanced Edition) and Infinity Engine library (including the CE for BG2). I'll let you extrapolate what that means >.>

Whatever the Ni No Kuni Collector's Edition was. Normally I consider CE a mark's game, but in this case the package was so appealing that I didn't mind springing.

If you counted sub fees WoW by a long shot, but that seems disingenuous.

Another joke: $350 for Nintendoland. Yuk yuk yuk.

Foxyone

Probably at least $200 on Phantasy Star Universe + the online subscription. That game ran horribly on console tho...

pwack

$85 to buy Mass Effect early. A select few Kmarts broke street date. This was great, since my wife was traveling for work so I had extra time to play early. Sadly, none of the Kmart selling early were in my town, so I had to buy off ebay for extra

That was on Xbox. Later rebougnt on Stream for $20 or so. So $105.

$120 for Tengai Makyou 2: Manjimaru for the PC Engine SCD. Little did I know the seller was swindling me by sending me the DEMO DISK of the game which wasn't worth shit.

0xCA2

Gears of War

New: $60
--> Disk stopped working for no reason because of 360 so I got a used copy
Used: $54.99
DLC: $14.99

Around $130 spent of one game . I was 15 or 16 though, never again.

ten13

It was probably Phantasy Star II, but I can't remember the exact price. $70? I did not buy PS IV at full price, since it was even higher.

$203.98 for a boxed copy of Earthbound. My ex step father burnt all my SNES, N64, PS1(Console) boxes including my original Earthbound box when I was 13. I decided I wanted one.

Calibus

Everquest. $10/mo to play.. Plus what...6 expansions @ ~$30each?

Played for two years.

Ended up selling the account and making ~1000 profit in the end, but I upfront spent a few hundred

Well, if we are counting MMOs, then yeah that would take the cake for me as well -- EQ2 + all expansions + $15/month for 7 years = $cry

Boss Man

$100 + tax I think for...a Socom II expansion. It came with a hard drive for PS2.

I did get introduced to FFXI at the same time though, which lasted me the better part of 6-7 years and ended up saving me a ton on video games as that was all that I played.

chrono01

$249 for a sealed copy of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars [SNES] on Ebay.

I was young [well...younger...], and foolish. Incredible game, but definitely not worth that much.

To counter this, I got a sealed copy of Earthbound [guide included, obviously] for around $21 at a store during an SNES sale. Needless to say, I was ecstatic.

Ghazi

Probably technically $110 with the new CoD+its Season Pass (which I regret because I think the game is garbage), but even though I didn't pay for the game I feel guilty that I asked the person for it.

$203.98 for a boxed copy of Earthbound. My ex step father burnt all my SNES, N64, PS1(Console) boxes including my original Earthbound box when I was 13. I decided I wanted one.

If it came with that awesome guide-book I'd saw it was worth every penny. I don't have my cart or box anymore, but have the book and still love flipping through it for nostalgia. So much effort went into that guide and it shows. Plan to use it for real once it shows up on WII-U VC.

With inflation in mind, Final Fantasy 3 (6) on SNES for $60. I was young and had no strategy guide, and I got stuck about 20 hours in or so. I think that experience as a young man alone made me hesitant to pay full retail price for any game after that.

Oblivion, Skyrim, Black Ops 2 at $60 are my others. I almost bit on the Skyrim that came with the dragon statue, as that was the only $100+ edition of any game that I thought was even remotely worth the extra $$$.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
200 for marvel heroes, which i spent 1k on a computer to play and then add about 80 bucks in in-game content that i bought.

The game has been out for about a month.

Jedi2016

I had the collector's edition of the first Gears of War, although I can't remember what it cost. I suppose it would have to be Gran Turismo 5, though. In addition to the game itself, it's the only game that I've actually bought most of the DLC for. Either that, or Forza 3, now that I think about it.. I did buy quite a few car packs for that one, too. I'm not normally one for DLC, but with those games, it's all about the cars.

Top Bottom