• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was better::: Kings Quest vs Police Quest vs Space Quest, FIGHT!!!

Okay, I loved all three... played them all tons when I was younger.

but IMO.. Space Quest series was by far the best... now, this was years ago, but when I remember playing them, they felt like i was in another world and you never knew what was going to happen next, there was a real sense of exploration there...

however, police quest 1 was pretty fucking tits...

the kings quests were good, the original ones i didnt get into so much, but the one with the owl i liked alot.. never played the 3d one.

so, your opinions?

(also: EDIT: i put this in off topic as its not really about console gaming, but PC, and really fucking old PC at that.. but it can be moved to gaming if the need be..)

Phoenix

Space Quest was one of my favorite series of all time, then Kings Quest. I never really did get into Police Quest though.

i had a fucking bitch of a time remembering to check the fucking tires on my police cruiser....

also, that drunk driver part with the scary/creepy music was awesome... shit, all the music in police quest ruled..

anyone know if theres a police quest or space quest collection for sale somewhere? i have the kings quest collection already....

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I've only played 3 of those games (King's Quest V, VI, and Space Quest IV), so I can't really say which one was better. But I can say that the ones that I played were awesome and entertaining

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
The only one I have played was King's Quest V and I remember loving it. Of course I was pretty young then, so I don't know if I liked it becuase it was good or if it was just because I liked everything back then.

turbos

Kings Quest

kq5-2-t.jpg

OH NO KING GRAHAM

i was too young to get into the leisure suit larry games at the time..

kings quest 5 was alot of fun...

if you can find it, get the kings quest collectionn, includes 1-7 i think, but not the 3d one, wich i havent tried, how is it?

i think 7 was the only kings quest i didnt have ANY interest in playing, where they made it EXTREMELY kiddie? was that the one?

i didnt get into the point/click space quests ones as muhc as the original trilogy of typing..

police quest is still kinda around, no? as the SWAT series from sierra was an offshoot of police quest and then they dropped the police quest name at some point..

i needs to build up my collection of old school sierra games again.

xsarien

daedsiluap
LuckyBrand said:
i was too young to get into the leisure suit larry games at the time..

kings quest 5 was alot of fun...

if you can find it, get the kings quest collectionn, includes 1-7 i think, but not the 3d one, wich i havent tried, how is it?

i think 7 was the only kings quest i didnt have ANY interest in playing, where they made it EXTREMELY kiddie? was that the one?

i didnt get into the point/click space quests ones as muhc as the original trilogy of typing..

police quest is still kinda around, no? as the SWAT series from sierra was an offshoot of police quest and then they dropped the police quest name at some point..

i needs to build up my collection of old school sierra games again.

King's Quest 8 is the bastard child of the series. It's very Tomb Raider-ish, the character you play isn't a member of the Graham family, and Sierra had such a massive priapism for 3D at the time that it's nigh-exclusive to Glide (read: Voodoo cards.) They released a Direct3D patch for it, but from what I hear it was a pretty poor solution.

Yes, the SWAT games have their roots in Police Quest. Jim Walls, the original designer of the series, moved on from Sierra after PQ3. He made some cop game for another company, I don't think it did too well. Police Quest 4 was designed by Daryl Gates, kind of a upside/downside PR move on Sierra's part, it was right after the Rodney King riots. But after that is when the series took a [much] more tactical slant and left the adventure gaming behind. I don't recall when precisely "Police Quest" was dropped from the title completely.

If you intend on getting some of Sierra's older games to work on a modern computer, you'll need something like DOSBox. Space Quest 6 freaks out on a Pentium 400, God knows what'll happen if you try to play it on one of the multi-gigahertz machines that are available today. Of course, the *easiest* thing to do is just buy a 486 on eBay.

And yes, props to Leisure Suit Larry are needed. May Magna Cum Laude bomb very hard.

god, those police/space/kings quest collections go for massiave amounts on ebay.

i bought my kings question collection for like $10-20 back in the day, i hope i can find it otherwise its going to be an expensive bitch to get all 7 games again.

i know i have various space quest games around her esomewhere, i bough them all back in the day, now finding them will be the bitch..

how was police quest 2 and 3 compared to 1? i only played 1.

edit:

i will definately be getting the new leisure suit larry game,... when it hits $19.99... cant pay $30-50 for it, but i think it will be well worth it at $20... and for some maybe even at full price...

xsarien

daedsiluap
LuckyBrand said:
how was police quest 2 and 3 compared to 1? i only played 1.

Massive improvements, like all of Sierra's sequels, they built on the previous games, never milking them. It's a shame I never picked up the Police Quest collection when I had the chance, it's the only one I'm missing. I suppose I can back up my original floppies before they turn into dust, though. Finding the manuals for the copy protection bullshit is a task in and of itself, though.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Error Macro said:
sie_sq5_ss4.jpg

SPACE QUEST V IS THE BEST 'QUEST' GAME AND ONE OF THE BEST GAMES EVER MADE

Respect.

Five? No sir. Three and four are at the top. Five was only designed by one guy from Andromeda! ;)

SickBoy

I liked them all. PQ1 was good, but I think my favorite game of the bunch was one of the early Space Quest games -- 1 or 2, I think. The first Police Quest was the best, because it had the overhead map driving segments, and they were just cool.

We started with Kings Quest 1, but definitely the later adventure titles were much better.

-SB

Meier

King's Quest got me into the Sierra adventure games, but my most fond memories are from the Quest for Glory series.

COCKLES

being watched
I loved Space Quest 3.

But the parsing of the input could be a bit anal.

How do I cross this swamp with the monster that kils me 1/2 through it? Hmmmm these posiones berries could be the answer.

> SMEAR BERRIES
THAT DID NOTHING!.
> RUB BERRIES ON BODY
THAT DID NOTHING!
>CRUSH BERRIES
THAT DID NOTHING!

and a thousand different varations.

Turns out the correct input was to type RUB BERRIES ON CLOTHING.

Fuck you Sierra! Still didn't matter, got past that bit by cheating. If you entered the swamp at a certain angle and pushed up as soon as you entered the screen you could manage to beat the monster to the other side without it catching you in time.

COCKLES said:
Turns out the correct input was to type RUB BERRIES ON CLOTHING.

Ahhh ... the first time I ever called a 1-900 number. Sierra's hintline to solve that puzzle. Me and my friend had been stuck there for three months.

When I bought my first computer, I bought two games simultaneously with it: Chessmaster 3000 and Space Quest IV.

My personal SQ ranking is: IV > III > II > I > V. I didn't like V at all. Never played VI.

jett

D-Member
Space Quest FOREVER!! SQ6 is great...probably the funniest one, the voice work reaaaaaally helps. The narrator is hilarious.

epmode

Schafer said:
Space Quest was definitely the best of those. The Quest for Glory games ruled to.
it's like you're reading my mind.

i never really got into the other games mentioned. police quest always seemed too difficult, in very nasty ways. didn't walk around your car, checking each tire? GAME OVER. even worse were the glitches where you could miss a phone call and the game would be unwinnable from that point on. king's quest just never seemed to be that funny/appealing.

now, space quest.. the only stinker in the bunch is 4, and i still liked that one. it just wasn't as silly as the rest. (never played 2)

as for quest for glory, i'll pimp out a thread i made on another board:
http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/showthread.php?t=19425
i love those games.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
What was better::: Kings Quest vs Police Quest vs Space Quest, FIGHT!!!

Gabriel Knight. FACT.

Of the list though, Space Quest >>>> Police Quest >>>> King's Quest.
I could never get into King's Quest. =/

Gattsu25

Banned
I was Space Quest fanboy

beat all except last one (couldn't get it to work)

never played Police Quest, only played Kings Quest a couple of times

Fatalah

I was a HERO'S QUEST fanboy. Awesome adventure game man!

And SPACE QUEST 6 was a riot. I really do miss those days of gaming. Quality quality stuff, like reading a good book.

I would like Space Quest the most for its humor, but it's puzzles often made even less sense than the rest. My actual favorite is King's Quest, but that is also the only Sierra series I have played to completion (sans 8, but who counts that).

Quest for Glory seems great from what little I have played, but I only played those a few years ago and never had a chance to get into them. The same goes for Police Quest.

Monkey Island defeats them all with a hand tied behind its back, not only for its humor, but its (mostly) logical puzzles.

Police Quest was stupid. I only ever finished PQ4, with a guide. Games that pretty much require you to be a police to know all the procedures = not fun.

Never played any Space Quest beyond the first few screens (where I died X times).

King's Quest VI was horrible. Couldn't stand the ridiculous main character. "Alexander does not want to go where he is not invited." King's Quest VII had the high res cartoon graphics (much like MI3 and Larry 7), which made every computer at the time (with 2x speed CD-drives) stutter and glitch.

Larry was lots of fun though. First one was great, especially the remake. 2 and 3 were decent. 5 complicated but fun, and 6 was hilarious. Never played 7, but apparently Magna Cum Laude is actually rather decent (if that word is applicable to a Larry game). Oh, lots of nudity too, even on console.

So obviously, I'm not much of a fan of Sierra adventures. Lucasfilm Games >>> Sierra On-Line.

Did anyone play the Kyrandia games? Hand of Fate was really good, but Kyrandia 3 suffered from multimedia mania and horrible rendered graphics. Hand of Fate was hand drawn and had great art.

Then of course, Simon the Sorcerer >>>>> any other adventure game

xsarien

daedsiluap
COCKLES said:
Talking of Sierra. What's the lowdown on the new Larry game for Xbox / PC?

It's being made by High Voltage Games, less an adventure game, more GTA with nailing hot chicks instead of killing people.

At least that's the impression I've gotten. I remember a Gamespot interview with the guy who pushed for the idea. It read, basically, like someone who wanted to bring the game back out of pure nostalgia's sake, but without any regard for what made the games what they were.

It drops in the US on 6 October. If you hear uncontrolled sobbing that day, it's probably me watching a favorite franchise of my childhood getting beaten like a red-headed stepchild. Al Lowe's mark isn't on this one (...ew), the chances of me even considering picking it up are slimmer than Larry's without the bottle of Spanish Fly from LSL1.

bonesquad

Add my vote for Quest for Glory. QFG 4 is my all-time favorite point-and-click Sierra game. But if I had to pick from just those... I'd have to go for Police Quest. Why? Cause that's my pick.

While not a great series, I really liked the first Gabriel Knight game, too bad it went to hell after that.

Top Bottom