• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was better::: Kings Quest vs Police Quest vs Space Quest, FIGHT!!!

LakeEarth

Suprise winner!!

bladerunner.jpg

blade02.jpg

RESPECT!!

Superbone

jett said:
Space Quest FOREVER!! SQ6 is great...probably the funniest one, the voice work reaaaaaally helps. The narrator is hilarious.

Finally, some SQ6 love. I was lead programmer on that one. Things changed in the SQ universe after IV though. The "Two Guys from Andromeda" had split up. Mark Crowe ran off to Dynamics to make SQV and then the two main designers on 6 were Scott Murphy (The other orginal "Guy" and one of the most sarcastically funny guys you could ever meet) and Josh Mandel (a hilarious dude that contributed a lot to the Larry series over the years and did most of the writing on Freddy Pharkas, Frontier Pharmacist).

The Space Quest series was always my favorite of those 3 series by far. My favorites were 1 and 4.

methodman

Banned
Space quest was a kick ass game!

I have all of the King's Quests, which were all awesome as well.

But... Police Quest was the best series out of these three, I loved how hard it was for my ass, the other two weren't that hard.

The best adventure game of course was Monkey Island though. Monkey Island is probably my most memorable adventure game ever.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Superbone said:
Finally, some SQ6 love. I was lead programmer on that one.

Man, do I have a bone to pick with you about the CPU timing issues that prevent it from running on fast computers. ;)

Superbone

xsarien said:
Man, do I have a bone to pick with you about the CPU timing issues that prevent it from running on fast computers. ;)

Sorry, xsarien. Obviously, no thought went into making it compatible with machines of the future. Was SQ6 worse than other SCI games? We had a group of engineers that just concentrated on the core engine technology for all the Sierra adventure games. Aren't there utilities out there that can slow down your CPU that might make it playable?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Superbone said:
Sorry, xsarien. Obviously, no thought went into making it compatible with machines of the future. Was SQ6 worse than other SCI games? We had a group of engineers that just concentrated on the core engine technology for all the Sierra adventure games. Aren't there utilities out there that can slow down your CPU that might make it playable?

Just messin' around, I keep a 486 right next to my current machine that I use for games that freak out on Pentium class machines. I don't use it much because I keep putting off buying a KVM for the thing, and managing the extra mouse and keyboard on my desk is a little...difficult. (actually, I'd just need a KM switch, my monitor has dual inputs.)

Anyway, from what I can recall there was nothing terribly out of whack with SQ6. I do seem to recall having issues with either the DOS mode or the Windows mode (I can't remember which, just that switching to one or the other got rid of the problem.) One of them was locking very early on.

One thing I did notice, even on my P2/400, was that games like SQ1 and SQ2 ran fine, but the later games started to generate problems which, as explained by Sierra, were more often than not caused by CPU timing issues. There are utilities, yeah, I used Mo'Slo with reasonable success years ago. I think the current flavor of the month is "DOSBox" (or something like that.) If I'm feeling saucy one day, I'll try to load one of the collections onto my XP Box and try to run something in that program.

Superbone

xsarien said:
One thing I did notice, even on my P2/400, was that games like SQ1 and SQ2 ran fine, but the later games started to generate problems which, as explained by Sierra, were more often than not caused by CPU timing issues.

That's too bad. Obviously, with a little thought to not tying the engine's performance into the CPU clock, this could have been avoided. Anyway, that's hardcore keeping a 486 around! :p

btw, did anyone else forgot to take his condom off after visiting that prostitute at the very beginning of Larry I? I almost died laughing. lol.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Superbone said:
Anyway, that's hardcore keeping a 486 around! :p

I spent the better parts of two afternoons digging around the Internet finding drivers for everything inside that box. After all that, you think I'm NOT going to get some use out of it? ;)

That and they're just plain good games, there's no reason that I shouldn't be able to play them.

I guess SQ6, too. :p

Project Midway said:
btw, did anyone else forgot to take his condom off after visiting that prostitute at the very beginning of Larry I? I almost died laughing. lol.

What's even better is what happens when you buy the condoms in the remake.

Laurent

Space Quest was certainly the funnist series of them all... I don't see why the thread starter haven't mentionned Leisure Suit Larry (except for the name difference)...

AND WHAT ABOUT DAY OF THE TENTACLE, MANIAC MANSION'S SEQUEL?!

dott1.jpg

dott3.jpg

shot03.gif

"But now I know that I must go.... back... to the MANSION!!!"

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
FoneBone said:
High Voltage, not Irrational.

Yeah. The thought of Irrational doing an LSL game is absolutely terrifying. HI LARRY I'M VAGINA DENTATA REEEEEK REEEEEK REEEEEK REEEEEK

On topic, Police Quest, because the girl you stop for speeding was my first love.

Fatalah

Superbone, I just have to say that SQ6 was and is a classic in my heart. I recently just started replaying it at the end of the summer! I remember posting a thread here once about the old Sierra games and nobody nibbled on that line. Its great to see all these fans come out and give props to Sierra--basically the company of my childhood next to Nintendo.

I love Sierra, and I still do because of their roots. I wish they were where they once were--the top of the US adventure game category. Japanese RPG and adventure games have been the most talked about ever since Sierra's demise, but I hope I'm not the only one that has interest in the "art" and "style" of American game designers.

The problem with American gaming company's is that this business has become too cut and dry, meanwhile Japan retains a grace in making games. I don't know, but when company's aren't taking risks like Japanese company's do, I think that's a problem. I wish, for the sake of gaming, that the THQ's and EA's don't represent the American gaming industry forever.

Anyways, thanks for the memories Superbone. Are you still working on games?

Superbone

Fatalah said:
Anyways, thanks for the memories Superbone. Are you still working on games?

Hey, no problem. I'm glad SQ6 is still getting some play time. I just found this site last night. The guy has got a LOT of information about the entire SQ series:

http://www.spacequest.net/main.shtml

As far as still working on games, yeah, amazingly I'm in my 13th year of making games. After 9 years at Sierra, I made the move into console games in 2000. I was a programmer on The Mark of Kri for Sony and now I'm working on the much maligned MLB baseball series for SCEA.

Fatalah

Superbone, MLB had a great turnaround this year. I wonder if its because of YOU ;-)

Anyways, I'd be interested in hearing your life story, tales from behind the scenes. Maybe you'll write a memoir one day...or a really good post. heh

xsarien

daedsiluap
D2M15 said:
Yeah. The thought of Irrational doing an LSL game is absolutely terrifying. HI LARRY I'M VAGINA DENTATA REEEEEK REEEEEK REEEEEK REEEEEK

Yeah, yeah. My bad. I don't know why "High Voltage" came out as "Irrational." Fixed in the original post.

Top Bottom