• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griss

Lack of directs probably down to unforeseen leadership change and the general tumultuous period that will follow.

To be fair, there were reasons for that.

Oh I'm fully aware and they have my patience and sympathy.

But it is a long time. The passage of time is what has shocked me as much as anything. Feels like Iwata passed just two or three months ago.

I reckon we'll get one more 3DS + Wii U focused Direct sometime before the official announcement of the NX. They have to know that anything they announce for old systems after that will be... overshadowed.

300px-Tatsumi_kimishima_keyboxart_160w.jpg

Does this strike you as someone who cares about our mental state? Rhetorical question.

I miss iwata:(
Nobody messes with Mr. K

Gsnap

Yeah, I have a feeling this silent period isn't going to last much longer. Seems like they're just getting their house in order and once everything's ready things will go back to normal. More regular directs, etc. Would be unfortunate if they wait for E3, but I think we can be sure that we won't have to wait any longer than that. Even if they do stay quiet until E3, once it comes around, things should feel pretty normal after that.

z0m3le

Banned
I've seen you bring this up alot, and it's really a non sequitur. For one, Nintendo have no problem shipping out multiple versions of Pokemon and Fire Emblem these days. As I mentioned in a previous post, with a unified development environment, it makes it easier for Nintendo to implement this type of approach in more of their franchises. Look at Smash as well. The levels are different in each version and that is largely a result of screen size.
http://www.nowgamer.com/super-smash-bros-sakurai-speaks/

Furthermore, there's no indication that they would even try to sell the exact same game on two different formats. As many people have brought up, they could have a system where you can buy the HH version and then purchase an upgrade digitally for the home console. With the new account system available on pretty much every device and 3DS games already being downloaded to SD cards, not having an internet connection in your home would not necessarily lock you out from such an upgrade.

And realistically, many of the games being released on disc may not have a HH version anyway. This has also been pointed out. Your AAA third party games, the ones that most commonly require large media formats, will in all likelihood be too computationally intensive for the HH.

Nintendo are a company with a history of creative solutions. We shouldn't just go on with "Buts..." for everything that doesn't fit in with this platform construct that we at GAF have largely created from our own imaginations and interpretations. As of now, nobody knows how NX software will play across devices. We only have a hint from Miyamoto that they are looking into it and some quotes from Iwata that he wanted to make NX more like iOS and Android. That's it.

If they don't, they don't. I don't see Nintendo being able to support 2 ecosystems anymore, they really haven't been able to even during the Wii and DS era but they had plenty of 3rd parties to fill the holes then, looking towards the future and them stepping into mobile and them seeing so many problems with the handheld and console support, if they do go for 2 separate ecosystems, I won't be there for the first 3 years. I'm a life time Nintendo fan who has owned everything they put out more or less, I am seriously looking at their problem now and seeing it as something they are forcing on their customers if they do 2 separate ecosystems with the NX.

So they can do whatever they want, but if they want me to stick around in the long term, they need to prove that they are doing their best, and that isn't splitting their market and forcing us onto 2 separate platforms any longer.

Lack of directs probably down to unforeseen leadership change and the general tumultuous period that will follow.

That's why I've been saying this whole time that the NX reveal won't be until E3. Unexpected leadership change can take a lot of time to recover from. Before Iwata's passing, they may very well had intentions to show off the NX early 2016 but I think that has been delayed. I'll gladly eat crow if the NX is shown within the next month though

Turrican3

I'm not saying that there won't be a decent amount of cross play games or even that the home console won't accept game cards in some form, but I don't read the quote as any type of guarantee.
I might well be reading too much into that, I'll easily concede... guess we'll know anyway (the sooner, the better!)

Aroll

We're on the middle of february and no NX news yet not even a Nintendo Direct. We always have a ND at this time of the year...

Prior to their last direct, they announced it would be hte last Direct of it's type - more or less that they are changing how directs are going to be done in the future - the entire format, what have you.

So as of 2016, we don't actually know what form directs are going to take, nor how often they will occur either. What we do know is that they will continue to exist in some fashion.

We're on the middle of february and no NX news yet not even a Nintendo Direct. We always have a ND at this time of the year...
Yeah, but with all the TPHD footage and information, I think we won't get one until April.
I hope that NX means they can come back to the every other month schedule they used to have.
I miss them and I'm interested in seeing the new format

Malus

Prior to their last direct, they announced it would be hte last Direct of it's type - more or less that they are changing how directs are going to be done in the future - the entire format, what have you.

So as of 2016, we don't actually know what form directs are going to take, nor how often they will occur either. What we do know is that they will continue to exist in some fashion.

Totally forgot about that.

I look forward to Kimishima's interpretive dance introducing NX.

300px-Tatsumi_kimishima_keyboxart_160w.jpg

Does this strike you as someone who cares about our mental state? Rhetorical question.

I miss iwata:(

I miss him too, but Mr. Kimishima seems to understand the business. I understand the silence on NX, but I am surprised at the lack of directs. I'd imagine we get something soon. If we don't, that could mean that they have all hands on deck for prepping the NX reveal media. They could also be still trying to figure out the new Direct format and/or feel that the stuff coming out soon doesn't necessitate any additional explanation.

If they don't, they don't. I don't see Nintendo being able to support 2 ecosystems anymore, they really haven't been able to even during the Wii and DS era but they had plenty of 3rd parties to fill the holes then, looking towards the future and them stepping into mobile and them seeing so many problems with the handheld and console support, if they do go for 2 separate ecosystems, I won't be there for the first 3 years. I'm a life time Nintendo fan who has owned everything they put out more or less, I am seriously looking at their problem now and seeing it as something they are forcing on their customers if they do 2 separate ecosystems with the NX.

So they can do whatever they want, but if they want me to stick around in the long term, they need to prove that they are doing their best, and that isn't splitting their market and forcing us onto 2 separate platforms any longer.

It would still be the same ecosystem. The user account would still be the same along with the dev tools. We would just be looking at different levels tailored to the different formats. I don't equate media with platform either. If I did, we'd have to admit that PS4 and Xbox One each comprise 2 platforms (digital and physical). I honestly think 2 different formats (disc and game card) is less confusing for the consumer as you wouldn't have a situation where a person is surprised to discover that the game they bought does not play in their NX handheld even though it's on a game card and fits into the slot.

I might well be reading too much into that, I'll easily concede... guess we'll know anyway (the sooner, the better!)

April at the soonest...

eifer

My hope for the NX is a great online / social system. I want to be able to jump into friend's mario 3d world games etc. Would be so fun.

z0m3le

Banned
It would still be the same ecosystem. The user account would still be the same along with the dev tools. We would just be looking at different levels tailored to the different formats. I don't equate media with platform either. If I did, we'd have to admit that PS4 and Xbox One each comprise 2 platforms (digital and physical). I honestly think 2 different formats (disc and game card) is less confusing for the consumer as you wouldn't have a situation where a person is surprised to discover that the game they bought does not play in their NX handheld even though it's on a game card and fits into the slot.

Ecosystems share the market, Nintendo would split the market with 2 platforms. They can do it, but it will be without me, I won't be on board for at least a few years.

It's possible that they are making two entirely seperate platforms. That they are only changing things internally to make porting easier, that there will be no notable consequences for the consumer.
But if that's the case wtf are we referring to both systems with the same name?! Because they both might use ARM? Who cares? Because they might share a few ports? again?

Future directs will probably be announced with text to speech via Miis in Miitomo.

Ecosystems share the market, Nintendo would split the market with 2 platforms. They can do it, but it will be without me, I won't be on board for at least a few years.

I don't know why not. I'm describing a decent percentage of indie games and all VC as shared between console and HH. If they did that and the next 3D Mario released in two versions, with the same mechanics but unique levels in each, with the user getting a discount on one if having purchased the other, that wouldn't be enough to lure you in?

...What about if they launched with Metroid? :p

Pandy

This... doesn't make much sense to me.

The markets for handheld and home gaming systems are plainly two different markets.
If those are both markets you're interested in then that's cool, but by the same logic you should be dropping Sony because they are putting a lot of effort into VR right now, or MS becuase of their Xbox/Mobile/PC/etc. split.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't know why not. I'm describing a decent percentage of indie games and all VC as shared between console and HH. If they did that and the next 3D Mario released in two versions, with the same mechanics but unique levels in each, with the user getting a discount on one if having purchased the other, that wouldn't be enough to lure you in?

Paying twice for the same-ish game is one of the reasons Wii U didn't find enough audience among the 3ds owners. Developing different levels for different hardware seems like a nice way to droughts.

Paying twice for the same-ish game is one of the reasons Wii U didn't find enough audience among the 3ds owners. Developing different levels for different hardware seems like a nice way to droughts.

Yet Smash sales for Wii U and 3DS didn't seem to cannibalize each other all that much. Ditto w/ 3D Land and 3D World (the latter of which released a good 2 years after the former, so that kind of killed some of the excitement, even though the game exceeded the expectations of many naysayers). The one instance I can think of is NSMB2/U, which may have just been franchise fatigue and other issues getting in the way.

Plus, we know that Nintendo are planning discounts based on gameplay and recommendations in addition to purchase-based discounts. Capcom is implementing a similar system in Street Fighter V, so it's possible that heavy users could get additional versions for very cheap or even free.

z0m3le

Banned

The markets for handheld and home gaming systems are plainly two different markets.
If those are both markets you're interested in then that's cool, but by the same logic you should be dropping Sony because they are putting a lot of effort into VR right now, or MS becuase of their Xbox/Mobile/PC/etc. split.

Yes indie and publisher games are different, they share an ecosystem. My steam list is filled with both AAA titles and indie titles, it has games from all over the place. My 3DS has both console style games like RE Revelations, OoT, KIU and games like Pushmo, Pokemon and Mario land 3D. My Wii U has virtually the same games. I'm not accepting the expectation that Nintendo can keep their libraries locked behind formfactors anymore because frankly there is examples for every game on both systems. I'm done waiting 3 to 4 months for a good game that I want to spend money on, it isn't worth my time to sit around with my Wii U waiting for a game only to get delayed, meanwhile my 3DS gets content that I'd rather play on a TV. I'm done Nintendo, this is the time you change and give customers what they want and fix your problems or expect me to be late to the party, if I even come at all.

Wii U had other issues that were much greater than its games. Nothing out there would have been able to save Wii U under any circumstance. Besides, you can make the same argument with MKWii vs MK7, they're very similar games, so why bother purchasing a 3DS for same-ish games? The 3DS was an attractive platform with a diverse library including 3rd party games (to some extent), Wii U wasn't and has never been.

It's possible that they are making two entirely seperate platforms. That they are only changing things internally to make porting easier, that there will be no notable consequences for the consumer.
But if that's the case wtf are we referring to both systems with the same name?!.
I don't think NX was ever referred to as multiple systems officially by Nintendo. NX may very well be just the codename for one game machine and nothing else. There have been rumors claiming there to be a "home Console" and a "portable unit", but it was never official. I honestly don't know why some people are referring it as multiple machines (I think I have too, just to fit in :p ). We'll soon see I guess.

How are epaper displays progressing? Any of them able to play a video or let alone a game?

I doubt it but haven't looked since the wii u speculation thread. eInk display main benefit is only needing power for a refresh so not a huge benefit for games.

Incidentally Sharp's IGZO freeform displays which are rumoured to be used in the handheld also only require power for a screen refresh, although they'll still need a backlight of course.
Theoretically you could do 30hz or gsync style refreshes and consume a bit less display power than normal.
Sharp has talked about dropping refresh down to once per second if required (an idling smartwatch/phone for example)

Davey Cakes

I just want a new Metroid Prime
We're overdue for some sort of HD Metroid, Prime or otherwise.

GameCube and Wii both had TWO high-profile Metroid games. Wii U had ZERO.

Remember how mind blowing Metroid Prime was back in the day? I know people want Retro Studios to work on new and different things but an HD Metroid game with the level of polish and detail that Retro has put into its Metroid and Donkey Kong games over the years would be astounding.

That said, any team with a good and clear vision could make it work. I just want to see something new and impressive.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yet Smash sales for Wii U and 3DS didn't seem to cannibalize each other all that much. .

If you look at SSB sales on Wii U compared to MK8 or even Splatoon, you could say that the potential for it should have been bigger.

Wii U had other issues that were much greater than its games. Nothing out there would have been able to save Wii U under any circumstance. Besides, you can make the same argument with MKWii vs MK7, they're very similar games, so why bother purchasing a 3DS for same-ish games?

I said "one of the reasons", not that Wii U could have been saved. MK 7 came 3 years after MK Wii, it's like the normal release schedule for Nintendo games sequels. Plus 3ds was the new HW vs. dying Wii.

My opinion is that Nintendo should reward the owners of more than 1 Nintendo hardware rather than punish them and save time and cost on developing by not working in parallel on two different version of the same game and rather use the additional levels as a DLC to be sold to the extended install base of the game, if they have the resources for it. I don't want to see again the droughts from Wii U and having different versions for the biggest games sounds like the recipe for that to happen again.

Nilaul

I doubt it but haven't looked since the wii u speculation thread. eInk display main benefit is only needing power for a refresh so not a huge benefit for games.

Incidentally Sharp's IGZO freeform displays which are rumoured to be used in the handheld also only require power for a screen refresh, although they'll still need a backlight of course.
Theoretically you could do 30hz or gsync style refreshes and consume a bit less display power than normal.
Sharp has talked about dropping refresh down to once per second if required (an idling smartwatch/phone for example)

But nothing that would allow a portable to be used in pure sunlight without back light?

If you look at SSB sales on Wii U compared to MK8 or even Splatoon, you could say that the potential for it should have been bigger.

The numbers don't back up that assertion. Smash for Wii U actually outperformed Brawl relative to their respective install bases. 4.61m (Wii U) vs 12.93m (Brawl). If we look at Mario Kart as a metric, Mario Kart Wii sold 36.53m (Wii) vs 7.24m (Wii U). So Smash for Wii U sold to a higher percentage of its installed base and also gained ground percentage wise vs. its platform's Mario Kart title.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/index.html

udivision

I don't think NX was ever referred to as multiple systems officially by Nintendo. NX may very well be just the codename for one game machine and nothing else. There have been rumors claiming there to be a "home Console" and a "portable unit", but it was never official. I honestly don't know why some people are referring it as multiple machines (I think I have too, just to fit in :p ). We'll soon see I guess.

Nintendo referred to a "future handhed" and a "future console" though, in terms of compatibility with their accounts.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-vs-ps-vita-face-off
During gameplay the Vita on average sucks up between just 3.5 to 4W of power
That's not the SoC alone. You cannot dissipate 4W from the surface of your average SoC without a sizable spreader. It's out of the question.

This is for the CPU + GPU, I expect them to be an APU if AMD is behind it.
Didn't you say 1.3W for the CPU block or did I misunderstand you there?

Because single thread still matters, it is why i7 doesn't beat i5 very often in games. The reality is, developers code game logic to just a few cores and use other cores for run off, if they have a thread that needs to be completed in a certain number of cycles to keep performance, the faster cores are more valuable than more cores.
Define 'few cores'.

Ok, let's take your hypothetical scenario - let's assume there are 2x A72 in the hh, of single-core performance within 30-ish percent from the console cores. What percentage of the home titles lineup do you expect to run fine on 2 cores, given the console will offer at least 4 to apps? Would that percentage justify the lower net CPU performance of the hh?

If power consumption is the same, it is better to have 2 fast cores with 2-4 slow cores than 6-8 slow cores.
No. If power consumption is the same and TDP is within expected margins (< 1W), cumulatively 4x A53 will be faster than 2x A72. That's the whole justification for the existence of big.LITTLE. Otherwise A72 runs fine at A53's upper power envelope - it's the higher efficiency that makes the LITTLE cores useful.

But nothing that would allow a portable to be used in pure sunlight without back light?

Well, I mean, they used to rely on sunlight for their old handhelds! Might be possible but I don't know if it will still be dark as hell like the GBA was.
Last I heard the eink market was shrinking with more people settling for tablets, so I'm not sure if lightless displays have much of a future, though if the eink ones do ever support high refresh rates it might change.

maxcriden

But if that's the case wtf are we referring to both systems with the same name?! Because they both might use ARM? Who cares? Because they might share a few ports? again?

Future directs will probably be announced with text to speech via Miis in Miitomo.

Did Nintendo ever refer to a handheld as NX, though? I thought that was something the media and analysts just ran with. I suppose it's conceivable that the two systems aren't both internally known as NX. That would seem to go against my interpretation of Iwata's statement about systems being siblings, though. It seems interpretation of that statement is becoming more polarizing. On the one hand, we have the KingSnake line of thought that says this means shared games across platforms. Then there is the Fourth Storm line of thought that says games will mostly be unique to hardware. I fall into the former group. I hope Nintendo does too. I'll get a bit more into my why's below....

They could launch with Metroid, F-Zero, Zelda, and 3D Mario and if it is a $300 system with games you cannot play on the handheld I think Nintendo will have settled on a half measure that is just asking for trouble. They know some things for sure now that they didn't know when they thought Wii U could be a hit:

1) western third parties will not be eager yi develop for their console. They cannot rely on this support as they historically have to fill in droughts. There won't be an exclusive Rayman game in the launch window that fans will plan to buy during a drought.

2) a second screen on a console means little to nothing to fans. The Wii U sales speak to this.

3) the presence of high quality IPs and traditional big sellers alone will by no means guarantee console sales. While such games were a big hit on 3DS, almost no such successes came to Wii U. Those that were relatively highly successful sold extremely well in Japan and impressively in NA. And pretty poorly in EU.

4) by the same token, multiplats that are not family friendly hold little appeal for Wii U owners.

Nintendo is starting from the ground up in a sense. If destiny and GTA came to NX, PS/X gamers are still likelier to get those kinds of games on their primary platform that their friends have and for which they are accustomed to getting those sorts of games on. So I don't believe western third party major titles will accomplish much necessarily. Most Wii and DS gamers have lost interest in Nintendo or in gaming in general and have moved on to PC, PS/X or smartphone gaming. At the same time, I think the right game or hook at the right price could draw some of those players back in.

No offense intended, but I don't agree with your premise insofar as Nintendo is concerned. As recently as the Wii and DS days, handheld and console offered wildly different sizes and aesthetics of experiences. This gen, though, we have a Nintendo console offering a dual screen semi-portable experience with games exceptionally similar to those on the handheld, which offers more of a console-like experience than ever before. Additionally, I strongly believe Nintendo gamers are a demographic of their own, eager to buy a handheld and console at the right price if they offer compelling ways to play (at the least, portability vs. HDTV gaming), and if they are the same games available across both systems I definitely don't see that cannibalizing sales any more than MK7/8, SSB4 and 3DL/3DW did. (Which I think is a moderate effect. For the latter at least I saw a lot of gamers who said "eh it's just a 3DS up-port and level pack.")

If the same game is available across both systems, all that does is raise the library and appeal for both systems. Otherwise you're in the same half measure situation we have now wherein the handheld offers conaole-like experience and as the gap between what a handheld and console can offer grows smaller and less noticeable, the argument for offering different games on each--especially completely different versions of similar games--becomes less compelling. And if you're going to make the gamer buy practically the same game twice for nearly every game and across both platforms, that wouldn't seem to foster much appreciation from the player. Especially since Nintendo gamers and brand name fans in general have an emotional attachment to their chosen brand in many cases that not every product is as lucky to have.

I agree. (Please see above.) I don't see any more harm in some extra level bonus any more than locking similar content behind amiibos, at least to the extent that this isn't seen as massive content one platform holder is missing out on.

Yet Smash sales for Wii U and 3DS didn't seem to cannibalize each other all that much. Ditto w/ 3D Land and 3D World (the latter of which released a good 2 years after the former, so that kind of killed some of the excitement, even though the game exceeded the expectations of many naysayers). The one instance I can think of is NSMB2/U, which may have just been franchise fatigue and other issues getting in the way.

Plus, we know that Nintendo are planning discounts based on gameplay and recommendations in addition to purchase-based discounts. Capcom is implementing a similar system in Street Fighter V, so it's possible that heavy users could get additional versions for very cheap or even free.

Please see my rambling post up above. I do like the idea of cheaper cross-play options but I'm a bit concerned it would make things overly complicated for the lay player. Regardless, this is already offered to an extent with Mario vs. DK and I'm unsure how successful that experiment was for Nintendo. I will say just VC and indie cross-play alone seems insufficient to what Nintendo could offer if truly looking to innovate in the hardware space. A PS3/Vita situation was not enough to get players interested in the Vita, and by the time it was in full swing it was coming from a position where the console was much more popular than the handheld, and with Nintendo it's the other way around right now, which is all the more reason to make the console as appealing as possible and same with the handheld.

Wii U had other issues that were much greater than its games. Nothing out there would have been able to save Wii U under any circumstance. Besides, you can make the same argument with MKWii vs MK7, they're very similar games, so why bother purchasing a 3DS for same-ish games? The 3DS was an attractive platform with a diverse library including 3rd party games (to some extent), Wii U wasn't and has never been.

I am wondering about your second point also. I do wonder if Nintendo ever did refer to BX as a portable. With that said, as I mentioned above, future systems were referred to as siblings, which I think is where some of this speculation comes from. As to Wii U and its failures, I agree that with the name, price and tablet controller, not much was going to readily save it otherwise.

I said "one of the reasons", not that Wii U could have been saved. MK 7 came 3 years after MK Wii, it's like the normal release schedule for Nintendo games sequels. Plus 3ds was the new HW vs. dying Wii.

My opinion is that Nintendo should reward the owners of more than 1 Nintendo hardware rather than punish them and save time and cost on developing by not working in parallel on two different version of the same game and rather use the additional levels as a DLC to be sold to the extended install base of the game, if they have the resources for it. I don't want to see again the droughts from Wii U and having different versions for the biggest games sounds like the recipe for that to happen again.

Again, I agree with pretty much everything you wrote here. This is what I'm seeing as a large part of the solution to Nintendo's current problems as well.

The numbers don't back up that assertion. Smash for Wii U actually outperformed Brawl relative to their respective install bases. 4.61m (Wii U) vs 12.93m (Brawl). If we look at Mario Kart as a metric, Mario Kart Wii sold 36.53m (Wii) vs 7.24m (Wii U). So Smash for Wii U sold to a higher percentage of its installed base and also gained ground percentage wise vs. its platform's Mario Kart title.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/index.html

You'd have to factor in Brawl was much cheaper to make, by virtue of not being in HD. So, it was the more profitable game either way.

If they go with a shared library, it's not like they wont have ways of monetizing the games further. DLC would nicely take the place of a proper portable installment.

This gen, though, we have a Nintendo console offering a dual screen semi-portable experience with games exceptionally similar to those on the handheld, which offers more of a console-like experience than ever before.

And games that are flat out, 100% console experiences (DKC: Returns, Xenoblade, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Hyrule Warriors). Plus the inverse (Kirby's Rainbow Curse), a portable game on a console. The dividing line is a lot more ambiguous than before.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hink z0m3le's wattage estimates seem very high for a handheld, but I think the comments about disproportionate CPU would be about right. Assuming the same game across both systems, then wouldn't you need a similar CPU performance for handling game logic, polygon setup etc? Then the GPU could be scaled down based on the lower pixel count on the handheld.

Did Nintendo ever refer to a handheld as NX, though? I thought that was something the media and analysts just ran with.

They did not, and the media was running pretty firmly with home console until recently. However I think there's enough dots to form some kind of picture, they've always described it as a platform, and originally talked about redifining what a platform is. When talking about impacts/relevence on their existing market, they will use 3DS and Wii U interchangably.
The fact they don't just say outright which it is should raise a few eyebrows, though I can't rule out them reverting their decision on a hybrid (i know, I KNOW) if they feel the market would prefer that now.

Neoxon

They did not, and the media was running pretty firmly with home console until recently. However I think there's enough dots to form some kind of picture, they've always described it as a platform, and originally talked about redifining what a platform is. When talking about impacts/relevence on their existing market, they will use 3DS and Wii U interchangably.
The fact they don't just say outright which it is should raise a few eyebrows, though I can't rule out them reverting their decision on a hybrid (i know, I KNOW) if they feel the market would prefer that now.
But that would be a bit of a quick turnaround from their initial decision.

Nintendo hasn't mentioned whether NX is a console or a handheld, but they did mention their plans for a iOS like ecosystem; "like brothers".
Can't be brothers if you're an only child so at least they're working on two distinct form factors/systems.
NX could refer to just one but based on wording like them expecting a lot of profit from Mobile and NX going forward I'm guessing it's referring to both
The only way I can see a hybrid happening if it's just a dock you plug the handheld in making it a PSTV.
But not sure why you'd need systems to be like brothers if there's just one

The WSJ article said there was both a home console and handheld. That's a recent and reputable confirmation that we are looking at 2 hardware units.

Thraktor

I've read enough to see they didn't hit a technological brick wall 6 years ago. I will be surprised if the console has an optical drive even if just for BC.

Well, there's no doubt they'd be able to produce 32GB+ game cards, the question is what they'd end up costing, and whether logistical savings make up for the additional physical media costs (and also the extent to which Nintendo plans to overlap the two software libraries). Unless you work very high up in Nintendo or Macronix, it's pretty much impossible to calculate which route would be more profitable with any degree of certainty.

I googled AMD polaris and those are not even yet on the market 2016 chips.
Come one guys be serious. You're in deny if you only refers your own expectations to that "cutting-edge, market leading chips" clickbait.
Since when Nintendo starts to design a hardware while the core components are expected to be on the market 6 months before release. I don't even know how that's possible.
Even with a console TBR in 2017, you should look at components available sometime last year. Not overpriced things that weren't even prototypes 18 months ago.

The 3DS was the first mass-produced device to use Sharp's autostereoscopic 3D displays and Fujitsu's FCRAM, and the Wii U, at the time it was released, held the title for smallest eDRAM process in any mass-produced device, and the lowest-latency wireless video-streaming technology available. Nintendo aren't afraid to use new technology when they feel it will benefit them, but outright performance hasn't been top of their priorities for quite a while. The reason I believe that Nintendo could (not necessarily will) go with Polaris on the handheld is that it would allow them to minimise the performance and architecture gap between home console and handheld, allowing easier cross-device development (something they've said is one of their priorities now).

Regarding Polaris, it (or more precisely a FinFET evolution of GCN) has almost certainly been under development for quite a while, and I would be very confident it was under development in late 2014 (when design of AMD's Nintendo APU(s) started). It's entirely plausible for Polaris (or a variant thereof) to be used in a late-2016 hardware release.

Glad we are thinking the same way now, but I'd like to put out my own stab at the specs.
1. AMD has talked so much about Nintendo, and even the handheld successor to 3DS, I think they will be behind both systems.

2. I expect polaris in the handheld for it's power saving. I don't see the handheld exceeding 4 watts.

3. I think the console and handheld will both use a custom APU created at 14nm as it saves power and I expect AMD to be the designer anyways, also it is more simple for a single team to produce a single SoC family than 2 separate ones.

4. They will probably reasonably target current gen performance with the console.

Given those assumptions, I think the specs should quickly fall into place:

The console: $199
GPU: 8CUs @ 800mhz - 1ghz (819GFLOPs - 1 TFLOPs) at 1TFLOPs, Polaris should perform very close to XB1, though we don't know how well Polaris out performs GCN, we do know that it does, and should strike close.
CPU: 4 A72 cores @ 2.3ghz and 4 A53 cores @ 1.5ghz (up to 2 reserved for OS)
RAM: 8GB (I'm not going to touch on tech here, it doesn't matter too much)

The handheld: $199
GPU: 2CUs @ 500mhz 128GFLOPs (6 to 8 times slower than the console, but at 1/4th the resolution and a smaller screen, this should handle the same games with minimal rework)
CPU: 2 A72 cores @ 1.5ghz and 4 A53 cores @ 1.5ghz (offering the same OS experience could actually be important to Nintendo and would give them the best environment to tackle a faster OS)
RAM: 2GB

Whatever they do, they should spend more on the CPU for the handheld, to get the system closer to the console, hopefully this gives everyone some insight into how you'd combine these environments a bit more.

While I think Nintendo should use 14nm Polaris for the handheld, there's a big difference between what I want Nintendo to do, what I think Nintendo should do, and what I think Nintendo will do.

I may as well go into some more detail on each one, in decreasing order of insanity:

What I want is for Nintendo to have secretly developed a hardware MLT-based real-time ray-tracer that can render photorealistic 4K/60fps visuals in a $299 home console and 1080p/60fps visuals in a $199 handheld. Of course, there's absolutely no chance of this happening.

What I think Nintendo should do is roughly along the lines of:

Home Console:

Main die (28nm AMD):
8x A72 at about 1.8GHz
12x GCN 1.2.5 CUs* at about 700MHz
(*ie GCN 1.2 with whatever elements of Polaris can be reasonably adapted to 28nm)

Daughter die (22nm IBM):
32MB eDRAM L3 cache (also used for Wii U BC)
3x Espresso Cores (for BC)

RAM: 8GB DDR4

Handheld:

SoC (14nm AMD):
12x A53 at about 1GHz
4x Polaris CUs at about 400MHz
10MB SRAM L3 cache (also used for 3DS BC)

RAM: 3GB LPDDR4

What I think Nintendo will do:

Home Console:

SoC (28nm AMD):
4x A72 at about 1.8GHz
12x GCN 1.1.5 CUs at about 650MHz
32MB SRAM (framebuffer, not implemented as cache)

RAM: 6GB DDR3

Handheld:

SoC (28nm Nintendo):
4x A53 at about 1.2GHz
PowerVR GT7200 or equivalent GPU
16MB SRAM (framebuffer, not cache)

RAM: 1GB LPDDR3

Based on my previous experience of trying to predict Nintendo's hardware decisions, I'd apply a fairly wide margin of error to the last one.

But that would be a bit of a quick turnaround from their initial decision.

It would, and I don't expect it because I have at least some faith in the wsj reports of an sdk for multiple forms being true. But my only doubt comes from the context of Iwata saying that quote not even 3 months after the Wii u launched.

blu

I hink z0m3le's wattage estimates seem very high for a handheld, but I think the comments about disproportionate CPU would be about right. Assuming the same game across both systems, then wouldn't you need a similar CPU performance for handling game logic, polygon setup etc? Then the GPU could be scaled down based on the lower pixel count on the handheld.
I think quite a few people in this thread are seriously overestimating the extent to which home titles will be able to run on the hh with a mere visuals downgrade - there won't be such a thing for anything outside of low-CPU-usage games like Mario Tennis and the likes. The only scenario where this would be feasible is if nintendo gimped the home unit significantly. That won't happen - it makes zero sense. HH titles running on the home unit - yes. Down-ports with decreased game logic complexity - yes. Full-blown home titles running on the hh with a mere IQ downgrade - no. And this is before considering factors like GPGPU which may or may not scale with res at all.

The only scenario where this would be feasible is if nintendo gimped the home unit significantly. That won't happen - it makes zero sense. HH titles running on the home unit - yes. Down-ports with decreased game logic complexity - yes. Full-blown home titles running on the hh with a visual downgrade - no.

mmm.. it makes some sense, as a cohesive platform strategy. Besides, they might decide that console games with actual good quality multisampling and af will be their unique hook.

TheJoRu

I'd say best chance for a Nintendo Direct before April is on Wednesday, coinciding with Miitomo and Nintendo Account pre-registration. So announcement tomorrow, or nothing. I'm thinking there will be absolutely nothing; at the most I'm imagining some sort of Miitomo trailer or registration instruction video being unceremoniously released on their social channels, if even that. They did release some PR before, so maybe there won't be any more.

blu

mmm.. it makes some sense, as a cohesive platform strategy. Besides, they might decide that console games with actual good quality multisampling and af will be their unique hook.
That 'cohesive platform strategy' would be pissing against the proverbial wind of thermodynamics, by pushing up the single-thread performance of the hh and handicapping the SMP performance of the home unit where TDP is otherwise abound.

Ok, let's take the closest example in known history - vita and ps3. Some ps3 titles were running at a lowered IQ on the vita and verbatim gameplay, sure. Those were some very CPU-non-demanding titles (e.g. Virtua Tennis 4). Other tiles, where CPU was used somewhat intensively (far from the fullest capacity of the SPUs, mind you) also saw life on the vita, but as downports (e.g. NFS:MW). Yet other ps3 marque titles never saw the slightest attempt of a vita translation (e.g. DICE's shooters). What would make nintendo take a radically different approach to the above?

That 'cohesive platform strategy' would be pissing against the proverbial wind of thermodynamics.
I'm talking on the cool side of things, not the hot one. Nintendo wanting to straight reenter the arms race with Sony and Microsoft, while at the same time making a compatible or semi compatible handheld is not the way I've ever seen it going.

Nintendo referred to a "future handhed" and a "future console" though, in terms of compatibility with their accounts.
Yes, their accounts for their future Handheld and future Console will be compatible with each other, that still doesn't explain what NX is though. NX could be a code name for a single device that will work with the other member of the family of systems codenamed "GX". NX and GX will be connected under the same account system, just like iPhone and iPad devices are connected under one account system. They can still be separate systems like how iPhone and iPad are.

I am wondering about your second point also. I do wonder if Nintendo ever did refer to BX as a portable. With that said, as I mentioned above, future systems were referred to as siblings, which I think is where some of this speculation comes from. As to Wii U and its failures, I agree that with the name, price and tablet controller, not much was going to readily save it otherwise.
Nintendo referred to NX as a "dedicated videogame platform with a brand new concept", that doesn't explain anything really. Wii was also a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept at the time, so was DS. NX could be a system in a family of more "X" products. Recall that there was also interest in bringing in more than two systems. With Unified architectures, it will be easier to support more than 2 systems. Some people are dismissing or not bringing up the possibility of having 3 or more systems in the "brothers" thing, even though it was brought up by Iwata. There's the WSJ article that cites there being a home and Handheld unit, but none is confirmed by Nintendo, and Nintendo never clarified. Sure their next systems will be brothers, but that doesn't mean they'll work under the same code name.

If Wii U was a more attractive product, it would have sold more, it just wasn't. The games are solid, but the environment for them was just too disturbed and unorganized to have much potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom