• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

I think the perception that Game Freak will struggle on stronger hardware is a bit of a misnomer. The reason X & Y struggles on the 3DS is because they're doing too much on it. The models are way too high quality. As such, if it was on a stronger device, it'd run like a dream

Compared to something like Yokai Watch the overworld looks like a generation behind, though.

Compared to something like Yokai Watch the overworld looks like a generation behind, though.

Yeah this is my main issue. The battles in XY look great, nothing wrong there. But the overworld a lot of the time is just ugly. And comparing it to Yokai Watch for example really shows that as Peru says.

And Detective Pikachu isn't 3D? Kind of gutted. I guess I can understand why since the game looks gorgeous so maybe it couldn't handle it, but even so, I love the 3D aspect of the 3DS.

Have you seen the actual models? They are ridiculously high poly, the sort of amounts you'd expect from a high level PS3 game.

I seen them yes. 12k models or sth ? Definitely a lot. But that's what you need to compare to a fighting game for exemple.

That's comparable to Dead or Alive games on og Xbox, with models between 10 to 15k

JoeM86

Do they use the same models as the pokedex thing? They were super high poly, it's harder to tell when flatshaded.

Yeah. They just went with a specific style which is making people think they're not high res

I seen them yes. 12k models or sth ? Definitely a lot. But that's what you need to compare to a fighting game for exemple.

That's comparable to Dead or Alive games on og Xbox, with models between 10 to 15k

Why?

I think part of Pokemon's problem is that Gamefreak doesn't grow with technology and are still using a lot of the same graphics engine people they have been using since 1996. For the most part, they just leave it to other parties to make graphically impressive things with Pokemon designs.

I don't think it's a matter of budget - if required, Nintendo would give them an extra $50 million on top of their normal budget to ensure the games sell as well or better. But they own 1/3rd of Pokemon and, until the games start failing to sell, there's not a whole lot outside hardcore gaming circles pressuring them to catch up. You could give them PS4-level technology and still get Pokemon X/Y.

Wrong and wrong. They aren't low quality and they don't have terrible textures.

You misunderstand me. I didnt said they are low quality I said the opposite. But the low res 3DS screen AND the bad texture FILTERING hurts them. Models and textures are good, but without proper texture filtering applied on texture, they look low res.

Basically, this is XY's problem:
fyFlk4V.png

I think part of Pokemon's problem is that Gamefreak doesn't grow with technology and are still using a lot of the same graphics engine people they have been using since 1996. For the most part, they just leave it to other parties to make graphically impressive things with Pokemon designs.

I don't think it's a matter of budget - if required, Nintendo would give them an extra $50 million on top of their normal budget to ensure the games sell as well or better. But they own 1/3rd of Pokemon and, until the games start failing to sell, there's not a whole lot outside hardcore gaming circles pressuring them to catch up. You could give them PS4-level technology and still get Pokemon X/Y.

That's a problem IMO. And I think Pokemon needs to make the full 3D jump with a full 3D overworld like any other 3D JRPG such as DQVIII.

Some of you guys are worrying way too much about console NX games being downgraded as a result of also having to target handheld hardware. (Assuming the shared library rumor is even true)

Making a very hi-poly, detailed model and then making a lower-poly version afterwards is already done constantly by 3D artists in the industry. Not only is this nothing new or even particularly difficult, it's actually something artists usually have to do anyway. All popular game engines like Unreal also allow you to switch the quality of a rendered model depending on what hardware the game is running on. Same goes for textures and shaders.

Nintendo has decades of experience making both handheld and console games. They know how to optimize for each, and with handheld + console teams now unified, it'll be even simpler for them to make games that target both at the same time. Nintendo isn't going to release a Mario Kart that looks worse than the previous one. That's just silly.

You misunderstand me. I didnt said they are low quality I said the opposite. But the low res 3DS screen AND the bad texture FILTERING hurts them. Models and textures are good, but without proper texture filtering applied on texture, they look low res.

Basically, this is XY's problem:
fyFlk4V.png

Yeah the models look pretty much future proofed for whatever style they want to use them, a lot of work they probably don't want to repeat for a long time. Something like Tangela shows the limits to the polygon budget but most look fine.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Some of you guys are worrying way too much about console NX games being downgraded as a result of also having to target handheld hardware.

Making a very hi-poly, detailed model and then making a lower-poly version afterwards is already done constantly by 3D artists in the industry. Not only is this nothing new or even particularly difficult, it's actually something artists usually have to do anyway. All popular game engines like Unreal also allow you to switch the quality of a rendered model depending on what hardware the game is running on. Same goes for textures and shaders.

Nintendo has decades of experience making both handheld and console games. They know how to optimize for each, and with handheld + console teams now unified, it'll be even simpler for them to make games that target both at the same time. Nintendo isn't going to release a Mario Kart that looks worse than the previous one. That's just silly.

I can understand why when people look in anticipation to consoles pushing the hardware boundaries some other gamers might feel that it is pointless as graphics are (always) good enough, diminishing returns, etc... Legitimate if all we see are more polygons per character.

Having wildly different hardware targets means a potential gulf of performance to fill, think iPhone 4 and iPhone 6S Plus even... worse if you compare a handheld to a home console. You end up either spending more money making two fully optimised/reworked targets or target a common ground, gravitating towards making the job easier on the lower performance device. When you are potentially talking about swapping simulation/real time effects for static graphics effects or non graphics bits and pieces (physics or A.I.) things can get a real pain in the proverbial butt.

If you want hardware performance to be used for anything but easily scalable cosmetic graphics effects then trying to have the same game on two platforms using the resources available well the you are like asking two different versions of the same game... not a simple universal executable.

doop_

Banned
If GameFreak Were actually going to make a real full 3D Pokemon they would get help from another Dev with console experience like NextLevel games.

TheMoon

From what we were told, Platinum is just working on the graphics. The issue with Starfox is control/gameplay related, so I don't think we need to worry about that.

We also know that isn't completely true since they told us at E3 that they designed some of the bosses or something of that nature (the desert worm robot thing, for example). I bet this is more a case of their source being a little lax with specifics in that regard.

JoeM86

If GameFreak Were actually going to make a real full 3D Pokemon they would get help from another Dev with console experience like NextLevel games.

Again, they have made a "real" 3D Pokémon game. They also don't need help. Hyperbole is rife with this topic.

Pokemaniac

pokemon-x-and-y-screenshots-y.jpg

Its not. Sure, they sometimes us a different camera view. But in the end, its mostly like this.

Its not only camera, its gameplay roots too. 3D World and Pokemon XY feels like 2D titles in their gameplay.

So, it's not 3D enough because you don't like the camera angle?

JoeM86

Its not. Sure, they sometimes us a different camera view. But in the end, its mostly like this.

Its not only camera, its gameplay roots too. 3D World and Pokemon XY feels like 2D titles in their gameplay.

No, that's ridiculous. Your reasoning is completely flawed.

What makes a 3D Game?

3D models? Check
27.jpg

Altitude usage? Check
19.jpg

Rotational camera? Check
37-gym.jpg

Yes, the camera is often fixed (less so in XY than ORAS though, but that's due to them wanting to keep the feel of RS), but that doesn't make it not 3D. Stop being ridiculous.

If you dont see the difference between this:

And this:
150531-Dragon_Quest_VIII_-_Journey_of_the_Cursed_King_(USA)-1.jpg

I dont know what to say

You mean like

27.jpg

33-3darea.jpg

41.jpg

22.jpg

No, that's ridiculous. Your reasoning is completely flawed.

What makes a 3D Game?

3D models? Check
27.jpg

Altitude usage? Check
19.jpg

Rotational camera? Check
37-gym.jpg

Yes, the camera is often fixed (less so in XY than ORAS though, but that's due to them wanting to keep the feel of RS), but that doesn't make it not 3D. Stop being ridiculous.

You're the one being ridiculous. I said FULL 3d. Not some sections with a fixed angle. ALBW also had sections like this. It doesnt mean it was a 3D Zelda.

The only thing that really made XY feel like a 2D game was the grid movement. And they already got rid of that in ORAS.

To make it a "real 3D" game (going by your definition) all they would need to do is reposition the camera right behind the player character instead. But they wouldn't need help from an outside studio just to do something so dead simple.

The only thing that really made XY feel like a 2D game was the grid movement. And they already got rid of that in ORAS.

To make it a "real 3D" game (going by your definition) all they would need to do is reposition the camera right behind the player character instead. But they wouldn't need help from an outside studio just to do something so dead simple.

Its not as simple. Its also about scale.

So, it's not 3D enough because you don't like the camera angle?

No, because it looks like a 2D game with a topdown view and plays like one.

Yes, it's called a camera angle :D

Both are 3D games.

You're playing on words. Technically, NSMB games are 3D games. I'm not talking about models though, I'm talking about scale, gameplay, exploration and such.

It's 3D in the same way Pokemon Black and White was 3D.

But I feel like I rather wait for Gamefreak to actually make it so that the very same people attacking me right now will call it a true revolution for the serie.

Zoon

I think a lot of that has to do that the terrain textures are/look like tiles.The GC pokemon games had the same camera angles but felt more 3D imo.

PEOPLE, this thread is about NX NEWS, NOT the definition of 3D games!!!!!

I literally thought that I clicked on the wrong thread just now.

Litri

Throwing my bets below ->

Portable:
Octo-core ARM cortex A53 clocked at 1.5 GHz at 28nm
2GB LPDDR4
Mali Midgard 2nd/3rd gen or Adreno 320/330 AMD equivalent GPU

Console:
Octo-core ARM cortex A72 clocked at 2.0-2.5 GHz at 28 nm
8gb DDR3/4
AMD GCN 1.2 GPU 10-12CUs 1TFLOP

Feasible?

TheMoon

You're playing on words. Technically, NSMB games are 3D games. I'm not talking about models though, I'm talking about scale, gameplay, exploration and such.

It's 3D in the same way Pokemon Black and White was 3D.

But I feel like I rather wait for Gamefreak to actually make it so that the very same people attacking me right now will call it a true revolution for the serie.

You don't understand the fundamental thing here: NSMB plays exclusively on a two dimensional plain. Joe showed you with pictures that those Pokémon games are 3D world that just sometimes get presented with a locked overhead camera, you still move around in a three dimensional world.

edit: to stop this train, I'm getting off of this 3D debate now^^

let's get back to talking about poorly made NX leaks and silly rumors!

Portable:
2GB LPDDR4

Console:
8gb DDR3/4

Feasible?

Why bother with something so specific? I really don't get the point of these ultra-specific predictions. Hardware-wise or software-wise.

TheRook

This is all wrong...

Gamefreak are one of the few developers who optimize their games for the 3DS. The amount of content they added in the 6th generation Pokemon games is alot in comparison to the previous gens. Going full 3D in 6th gen meant that they had to create new assets for pretty much everything. As the peeps were praising the 6th gen games for their models on the actual Pokemon in battle(you know the meat of the game) they were focal point. They are the equivalent of fighters in a Fighting game...

Lets be honest here, with the sheer scale of a Pokemon game, there was no way everything in the game was going to be as detail as the battle models, doesn't matter how you slice it, that is a tall order to fill. Especially considering all the content that was added in this game such as the trainer customization which is something isn't present in ORAS.

All things considered, 6th gen Pokemon games are actually visually impressive on the 3DS. Then again, MGS3D, SSFIV3D, Tales of the Abyss, and Senran Kagura 2, also impressed me so I guess I'm easily impressed.

Portable:
2GB LPDDR4

Console:
8gb DDR3/4

Feasible?

Adreno 320 would be pretty bad. Mali 2nd gen is possible, considering it's in cheap chinese SoC such as the one in GPD XD, which use a Mali T760mp4 (Mali T764).

You don't understand the fundamental thing here: NSMB plays exclusively on a two dimensional plain. Joe showed you with pictures that those Pokémon games are 3D world that just sometimes get presented with a locked overhead camera, you still move around in a three dimensional world.

edit: to stop this train, I'm getting off of this 3D debate now^^

let's get back to talking about poorly made NX leaks and silly rumors!

No, you guys don't understand the fundamental thing here. I said "full 3D", implying not some sections trying to play with the 3D thing by having a different view. A different exemple would've been better: A Link Between World. Top down view, but 3D graphics, yet 2D gameplay. The game also use different camera view at some points.

Portable:
2GB LPDDR4

Console:
8gb DDR3/4

Feasible?

Not enough CUs, and make it 2 Tflops.

Mr Swine

Banned
I do wonder if Nintendo will go with a fast Dual Core CPU or a slow Quad Core CPU on their handheld. I wonder what would benefit games more

ekim

Portable:
2GB LPDDR4

Console:
8gb DDR3/4

Feasible?

I anticipate that Nintendo will up their game in terms of 3rd party support so they at least have to be as powerful as the X1 but launching mid-gen, I see them being on the level of PS4 or even above. My wild guess for whatever it's worth: AMD APU with a combined 2.7 TFLOP (CPU+GPU)

TheMoon

At least we know that miitomo and mynintendo are launching this week and that's sort of nx related right??

None of this is the case.

Neither Miitomo nor MyNintendo are launching this week.

Pre-registration for Miitomo starts this week which you can do by creating a Nintendo Account. That is all. Miitomo and MyNintendo launch in March.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Portable:
2GB LPDDR4

Console:
8gb DDR3/4

Feasible?
Here's a line for improvement: cut one CPU cluster from the hh and use a better GPU instead.

ed: and of course A72 does not do 2.5GHz at 28nm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom