• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLZ

Banned
There is no logic in protecting a powerful console with a super NDA. Leaks would only produce hype, not hurt. Super NDA makes sense for a special feature or an averagely powered console that they want to control the way it's marketed. Or it can be just typical Nintendo secrecy. Anyway, super NDA=> powerful is not a good logical conclusion.

The NDA has nothing to do with power itself, it's the tech/gimmick behind it that's kept a secret.

But that's just it, Nintendo probably can't go for that price with the x86 twins likely to see some kind of price drop this coming holiday season. And while sure, I would love for Nintendo to make a powerful console, I've learned my lesson about getting my expectations too high so many times in the past. As stated before, I wouldn't be shocked if the NX Handheld ends up being the flagship NX device, while the NX Console just tags along for the ride. It's not just about power, but also price. Given Nintendo's situation in the console market, charging more than $300 for the NX Console may not go over well with the general public (likewise for going over $200 for the NX Handheld).

And again, we also thought that Nintendo learned their lesson with the Wii going into the Wii U, or with the 3DS's launch going into the Wii U, & boy were we wrong about both.

Why go lower though if you're having a newer tech that outputs better results than both PS4/Xbone? Kids will go to the store, see the PS4 and Xbone for $300-350, then see the NX advertised everywhere, say for $400-500. The salesman will sell that as the better and the latest system that plays the same games better and includes such and such gimmick the kids would love. There, sold. I'm not saying this will happen, but this is a scenario that can surely happen. Kids always want the newest. This is obviously a scenario based on Nintendo having a breakthrough ready for the world to be shaken.

Remember the WiiU when first started work on it was supposed to be a breakthrough as well. I remember Miyamoto mentioning this, but by the time it released, 3-4 years later, the controller went from being a breakthrough to an expensive liability as the smart phones ate up the market. I think he did mention them learning from this.

We thought they learnt from Wii, but where did they say they learnt? In fact they saw nothing wrong with it. It sold a 100 million plus! We didn't like it because it wasn't the machine we wanted and deemed it a failure, even though it clearly wasn't sales-wise. It was a colossal success, and because of that they kept the Wii brand going, but failed with the WiiU because of the reasons I already mentioned Miyamato saying. Also the fact the WiiU was released 6-7 years after the PS360 with similar power. Both controller concept and power failed. The Wii at least had the gimmick concept succeed. Add to that Kimishima or Iwata saying they're steering clear from the Wii brand and they actually learnt from that experience. That's why I believe this time is really different.

Btw, I'm no tech wizard, but with whatever chip breakthroughs we have now, shouldn't it be easily feasible to have a console out by the end of the year with hardware that's built on efficiency that is just powerful enough (doesn't mean super powerful) to surpass the PS4/Xbone? Wouldn't Vulkan help with that somehow?

On another note, my reasons to buy multiplat games on NX (which 'might' also encourage other to do the same):
- Actual rewards instead of silly trophies.
- Better performance (1080p/60fps)
- Having an iOS/Android-like account that allows me to play the same game on as many Nintendo devices and not needing to pay for the game again on another device. Future proof too.

I tried to explain this back in October 2015 to a lot of you guys but it went on deaf ears. Two unrelated sources reported the same type of impressive Tech Demo running on early NX SDK. One of the sources of course more credible than the other with the WSJ being more trusted, but both matching and with Nintendo Forums reporting it 1 day before I confirmed with the WSJ. That was definitely an "OMG...just got real" moment.
You will be mourned when the mods send you to the guillotine.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Maybe NX combined a powerful enough hardware without going overboard with much more efficient hardware and OS and thus giving much better performances. Remember by the time the NX hits it would be 3 years since both the PS4 and Xbone released. A lot can happen in 3 years with tech breakthroughs, and with the same price of around $400-$500 The result would be better than what PS4 and Xbone have. Add to that Nintendo's usual 'gimmick' and the people would eat it up not thinking twice about money.

That does not square with Miyamoto's statements from mid-2015.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...on-the-origins-of-nintendos-famous-characters

So unfortunately with our latest system, the Wii U, the price point was one that ended up getting a little higher than we wanted. But what we are always striving to do is to find a way to take novel technology that we can take and offer it to people at a price that everybody can afford. And in addition to that, rather than going after the high-end tech spec race and trying to create the most powerful console, really what we want to do is try to find a console that has the best balance of features with the best interface that anyone can use.

And the reason for that is that, No. 1, we like to do things that are unique and different from other companies, but we also don't want to just end up in a race to have the highest-tech specs in a competition to try to find how we get these expensive tech specs to the lowest price of the other systems. And so there's different ways that we can approach it, and sometimes we look at it just from the sense of offering a system that consumes less power and makes less noise and generates less heat, or sometimes we may look at the size of the media and the size of the system and where it fits within the home.

But really what's most important to us is, how do we create a system that is both unique and affordable so that everyone can afford it and everyone can enjoy it.

I don't buy these high-end-spec rumors.

RomanceDawn

I can't stand IMDB partially because anyone can just update anything with almost anything. Easy to lie and even agents just take it as fact. I hate it and I have one. >;(

Vena

I don't buy these high-end-spec rumors.

They don't exist to begin with. None of the power rumors have anything to do with high-end specs and have everything to do with trying to effectively run an API optimized for a unique, custom hardware configuration on a generic machine.

It could be a glorified WiiU SDK and still have trouble running in a software environment on non-specific hardware. That's why, at the end of the day, the final dev kit is a hardware box.

Malus

As much as I love Galaxy I'd like for the next 3D Mario to be something fresh. It would be hype though.

...i'm going to go ahead and disregard this rumor if you can call it that lol.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
They don't exist to begin with. None of the power rumors have anything to do with high-end specs and have everything to do with trying to effectively run an API optimized for a unique, custom hardware configuration on a generic machine.

That would be my interpretation as well. If the adaptation between Nintendo's new APIs for NX and DirectX/OpenGL/... on the other side are in early and rudimentary stages, performance inefficiencies are what you would naturally expect. You first go for correctness and completeness. Only then do you improve performance.

Banned
I doubt Super Mario Galaxy 3 is the title if it is a real game. They're gonna subtitle it if they want to attract new fans to the platform and not scare them off since some newcomers will assume they'll need to play 1&2 to get 3.

So how is everyone doing?
Anxiously awaiting your PM to me spilling everything while I hug you and buy you a coffee.

Has there been anything hinting at what backwards compatibility the NX might have? I know that with the shared eco-system they seem to be going for that probably means we'll see Virtual Console games carry over from the Wii U and 3DS (hopefully), but I'm curious if it'll have any console BC.

If it is a handheld+home console type of thing, it seems like it would be possible to do it as long as you have both the handheld and the home console, but if the handheld portion of the system is the main part of it, then it definitely wont have disc support, but maybe digital games that don't require TV+Gamepad would work on the handheld.
I mean... historically speaking, ever since Super Mario 3D's conception, every single Nintendo home console has had a brand new 3D Mario game, so I highly doubt they're gonna start this gen with a sequel for a game from 2 gens ago.

True, but I've always seen Super Mario Sunshine as a sequel to Mario 64 in everything but name. It has the same gameplay structure (hub area where you can do some exploring and link to the main levels, levels that have 7 or so stars in them to collect) just with the water pack replacing the traditional power-ups.

I do agree that I'm a little doubtful that they'll just make a new Galaxy for the NX. I felt like they did what they wanted to do with Galaxy 1+2 which was why they moved on to something new for 3D Land and 3D World.

I doubt Super Mario Galaxy 3 is the title if it is a real game. They're gonna subtitle it if they want to attract new fans to the platform and not scare them off since some newcomers will assume they'll need to play 1&2 to get 3.

Anxiously awaiting your PM to me spilling everything while I hug you and buy you a coffee.

Well today is your lucky day, I just sent you PM.

Malus

I mean... historically speaking, ever since Super Mario 3D's conception, every single Nintendo home console has had a brand new 3D Mario game, so I highly doubt they're gonna start this gen with a sequel for a game from 2 gens ago.

Not the Wii U. 3D World is a sequel to 3D Land.

Malus

Well, have a good night guys, Malus and 10k, it's up to you. You have the info, share it.

Alright, thanks again.

The NX is canceled guys. Damn shame.

It was going to be...more powerful...than the PS4....

...and we were finally going to get...Jungle Beat 2....with a bongo in each donut screen...

*fades out of existence*

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: Might as well read the website article instead. The article is interesting. I'd assume the unannounced Wii U game would be Paper Mario, given everything we've heard (even officially from Intelligent Systems). A launch window (hopefully day) release for Zelda NX would be nice. I find it interesting that the article assumes the NX must be a home console if Zelda NX exists, but I think it's still possible it's a handheld releasing this year and that Zelda Wii U is running on it. If Zelda NX is going to be on a home console, I fully expect the game to be at 1080p30fps, given the Wii U version's footage has all seemed to me to be 720p or possibly even lower (it's looked really blurry to me). If it is indeed a home console, I wonder if we're getting another GCN > Wii jump or if it's something more significant.

He posted on his website he heard from Nintendo sources it's coming 2016.

I wish we knew what "it" is.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Link to his website?

And did he specify if he meant both skus?

I'll PM you the link. He doesn't know about it and instead makes conclusions based on the info he does know.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

No problem.

Trevelyan9999, if you get the chance and can, could you please elaborate on what you mean by "visual proof of the information"? I'm confused how you know that Zelda NX is a real thing but don't know what the NX looks like or is. I guess I assumed you saw screenshots of it running on NX, but perhaps you saw a Nintendo document that you assume is real based on your source's credentials?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I like that Trevelyan9999's rumor (sorry, I'm going to call it a rumor because it's not a Nintendo press release, but I do trust you) would suggest that a home console would land this year in the US and a handheld perhaps later. Honestly, this to me makes the most sense. I see the home console releasing this holiday season in the US and the handheld releasing in Japan at the same time instead. This would help with supply constraints. Additionally, since Japan doesn't really care as much about Zelda, having it as a launch title for the US launch of NX would line up with that, too. In the West, the 3DS has a pretty good lineup this year because of the large number of localizations that are happening. Conversely, things seem a little weaker in Japan, so it might make sense to launch a handheld there. Additionally, the Wii U just started taking off in Japan, so waiting a bit longer there for a home console would make sense to me.

Of course, the above might not make sense if the 3DS release schedule Trevelan9999 is talking about includes new game announcements from Nintendo. That would result in a stronger lineup in both Japan and the US, and might mean the handheld isn't happening anywhere. But that would go against other sources we've had, which tells me a handheld is almost certainly launching in Japan, and said handheld might be launching worldwide, potentially with Zelda NX on it.

Why are we pming the website lol. It's nintengen.com

Oh, I assumed there was some NeoGAF policy against posting links or something when it comes to unverified rumors (verified meaning verified with NeoGAF mods). But I might be wrong.

The_Lump

Banned
So what's this dudes website?

And why give the news to two other posters to disseminate if you have already shared it elsewhere?

Oh, I assumed there was some NeoGAF policy against posting links or something when it comes to unverified rumors (verified meaning verified with NeoGAF mods). But I might be wrong.

It seems that he's saying that his source's credentials have been (or can be) verified by neogaf mods/admin.

Malus

So what's this dudes website?

And why give the news to two other posters to disseminate if you have already shared it elsewhere?

I didn't get any news.

The thing about Jungle Beat 2 and the bongo donut screens?

I made it up.

Shocking, I know. Please give yourself a few moments recover from the surprise. I went mad with power for a moment, and I apologize :''(

It seems that he's saying that his source's credentials have been (or can be) verified by neogaf mods/admin.

Neogaf just bans certain websites, making them not show up when you link them. But If we couldn't link to unproven things in general this thread would be 5 pages long :p

No problem.

Trevelyan9999, if you get the chance and can, could you please elaborate on what you mean by "visual proof of the information"? I'm confused how you know that Zelda NX is a real thing but don't know what the NX looks like or is. I guess I assumed you saw screenshots of it running on NX, but perhaps you saw a Nintendo document that you assume is real based on your source's credentials?

You can post it here, I just thought posting things from my own website was against GAF policy.

Visual proof of the information pertaining to what Nintendo is releasing this year, however the only NX game revealed to me was Zelda NX as coming this year and Nintendo is trying hard to either release it at the same time as the Wii U version or close to it. For now Zelda NX is considered launch window but definitely coming along with the console holiday 2016. Like I said in my article, someone here that has contacts at Nintendo can verify that this info is legit.

Hermii

Interesting that communications has worsened under Kimishima. That's not exactly good news.

It may have been just a temporary chaotic period with the sudden loss of leadership, and is not indicative of Hiw Kimi runs the company.

The_Lump

Banned
I didn't get any news.

The thing about Jungle Beat 2 and the bongo donut screens?

I made it up.

Shocking, I know. Please give yourself a few moments recover from the surprise. I went mad with power for a moment, and I apologize :''(

Lol yeah I figured. I was just referring to Trevs post. If he isn't willing to post the leak himself on GAF, that implies he isn't willing to prove to a mod that he has a legit source (which he says he has on his website).

No offense to him, but reeks of fakeness to me unless he posts that same rumour here and backs it up to a mod.

Edit: well that's one down. Now for a mod to firm this up :)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mmmmh...Trevelyan9999, you seem a level-headed enough guy so far, between distinguishing between what you report as "true" and what you report as mere rumours, trying to protect your source (the developer from the other day), and specifying when it's your impression of things, not what you've heard. Now, I'm hesitant to fully believe you, but not completely because of you: there are claims that I still have not enough confidence to believe (like that Nintendo forum admin having as much contacts as Mochizuki, or the NX situation being so different from Wii U already); still, as already said, you seem a good guy, after all, trying to report without excessiveness most of the times. Simply put, it's because of too many times in the past we got disappointed by believing in "prophets" who promised this or that and, then, we ended up with sad faces and posts. That's why I ask you (and all the other users here) if I can send a PM to bishoptl about verifying your sources and whatever. Warning: the banhammer waits you if you can't verify them enough... but, if you're verified, your posts would be taken much more seriously. High risk, but high reward. Would all of you (Trev and the other usual users here) be okay if I ask Bishoptl to verify Trev? Sincere answer, don't feel pressured :p

You can post it here, I just thought posting things from my own website was against GAF policy.

Visual proof of the information pertaining to what Nintendo is releasing this year, however the only NX game revealed to me was Zelda NX as coming this year and Nintendo is trying hard to either release it at the same time as the Wii U version or close to it. For now Zelda NX is considered launch window but definitely coming along with the console holiday 2016. Like I said in my article, someone here that has contacts at Nintendo can verify that this info is legit.

I hate to be pedantic, but in what form was this visual proof? Screenshots? Video? Documents?

I'm just trying to get a sense of what you saw. In other words...did you see Zelda??!!!

Pokemaniac

Interesting that communications has worsened under Kimishima. That's not exactly good news.

It may have been just a temporary chaotic period with the sudden loss of leadership, and is not indicative of Hiw Kimi runs the company.

That bit could also refer to communication with fans, which has definitely taken a hit since Iwata died.

Vena

Zelda being on the NX does not conclude a console. It means jackshit in this day and age, actually.

Xenoblade, of all things, is on a 3DS.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If the power comment is related to the portable I tend to believe it. It will surprise many being almost as powerful as a wiiu.
For the home? I dont think so. To me it will be to the wiiu what the wii was to the gc.
That would mean being able to share not only the OS but also many dev assets.

Mmmmh...Trevelyan9999, you seem a level-headed enough guy so far, between distinguishing between what you report as "true" and what you report as mere rumours, trying to protect your source (the developer from the other day), and specifying when it's your impression of things, not what you've heard. Now, I'm hesitant to fully believe you, but not completely because of you: there are claims that I still have not enough confidence to believe (like that Nintendo forum admin having as much contacts as Mochizuki, or the NX situation being so different from Wii U already); still, as already said, you seem a good guy, after all, trying to report without excessiveness most of the times. Simply put, it's because of too many times in the past we got disappointed by believing in "prophets" who promised this or that and, then, we ended up with sad faces and posts. That's why I ask you (and all the other users here) if I can send a PM to bishoptl about verifying your sources and whatever. Warning: the banhammer waits you if you can't verify them enough... but, if you're verified, your posts would be taken much more seriously. High risk, but high reward. Would all of you (Trev and the other usual users here) be okay if I ask Bishoptl to verify Trev? Sincere answer, don't feel pressured :p

Remember that I am not the insider myself, however the Nintendo Employee has said that as long as he is guaranteed safe, he or I can definitely prove his identity and even the info as the truth. It better damn well be safe for him though since he is risking his own job and career with this.

I'm definitely for it. Always good to have confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom