• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermii

Right or wrong, Trev has cemented himself as "The dude from those NX speculation threads." Taking the torch passed along from IdeaMan.

Nintendo should call the NX the "Trevolution" :eek:

I kind of have a hard time trusting a guy that calls himself Trevelyan.

latest

Vena

This is the weird part to me:

The information doesn’t end here though, I also know key release information on Wii U and 3DS games, some are not announced yet. In this bit of information, I will only be covering the Wii U and the following part will reveal what the 3DS has coming, but suffice to say the 3DS has much better support than the Wii U in the second half of 2016 and the Source speculates due to the 3DS having a much more robust lineup of unannounced titles than anticipated, if there is a NX handheld it may not be released this year, based solely on the lack of a need compared to a home console for North America.

The 3DS is about as dead as the WiiU in the NA market so the distinction seems weird to me, both need replacing, and why would the source speculate on the hardware handheld existing or not?

Well whatever, I'm heading to bed.

Zelda being on the NX does not conclude a console. It means jackshit in this day and age, actually.

Xenoblade, of all things, is on a 3DS.
True. I could imagine the new Zelda (I wish they'd give it a name already!) coming to consoles on the Wii U and then it getting a handheld NX release at the same time.

But I'm still not sure how games are going to work across NX handheld and console (assuming that's even what the NX ends up being). Will it be a copy of the Wii U disc that includes a download code for the NX handheld that later works on the console? Will it be a unique NX disc that will work in the NX console, but the handheld uses a download code or a cartridge?

Right or wrong, Trev has cemented himself as "The dude from those NX speculation threads." Taking the torch passed along from IdeaMan.

Nintendo should call the NX the "Trevolution" :eek:

I really want to just be sure the Nintendo employee is 100% safe, I owe this individual a great debt of gratitude. The individual has agreed to provide proof to GAF in a previous conversation I had with them. However I must sleep since it is 2:12am, we can continue this tomorrow. This info is the truth for the record.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This is the weird part to me:

The 3DS is about as dead as the WiiU in the NA market so the distinction seems weird to me, both need replacing, and why would the source speculate on the hardware handheld existing or not?

Well whatever, I'm heading to bed.

In his video, Trevelyan9999 says that he will report about the 3DS lineup tomorrow (today). That could provide some insight.

The_Lump

Banned
I really want to just be sure the Nintendo employee is 100% safe, I owe this individual a great debt of gratitude. The individual has agreed to provide proof to GAF in a previous conversation I had with them. However I must sleep since it is 2:12am, we can continue this tomorrow. This info is the truth for the record.

Personally, it's certainly not that I don't trust you Trev. But we've been here many times before with other folk claiming legit info. Get it confirmed with a mod and we're all golden. Your source isn't at risk by doing this.

Kikorin

I think a lot of the launch succes of NX depends on how they present the console at this E3 (or when they decide to reveal it). I really can't believe how badly they presented Wii U, first only showing the controller with Wii games (at first I thought it was an add on for Wii) and then, a year later, a reveal with a really poor line-up.

Even if Nintendoland was great in my opinion, they would had something more to show the possibility offered by the gamepad. And even if I love my Wii U, is sad that the only games that use the gamepad properly are Nintendoland, Zombi U, Mario Maker and in part Splatoon and Pikmin 3.

I really hope NX will be shown in the right way, also they had to explain well how this will be integrated in the Nintendo ecosystem, if this will take the place of 3DS, or will be another thing at all.

I'm confident that this time they will not fail anyway, presentation of Wii was perfect, great concept showed in a great and simple way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Handhelds destroyed my marriage.

I am but a shell of my former self.

3D Land is cool tho.

I dunno, gaf's tech savvy people would lead you to believe that it's very possible if not likely that NX will be weaker than PS4, if this thread is any indication, as well as some fairly well trusted sources.

Then again, I don't know a GPU from a CPU from a donut
screen
. So don't take it from me lol.

- PS4 is a single chip APU for cost saving and efficiency reasons
- it is a big chip and not cheap to manufacture.
- Nintendo is a conservative company
- it is unlikely they want a consile more expensive than PS4
- so they are unlikely to go with an APU larger than PS4 which will cost more
- but PS4 APU is built on 28nm node. Couldn't Nintendo use the new 14/16nm so they could get more performance at the same size?
- no, because a same sized 14/16nm chip would still cost more as the node is immature and yields may be much lowers
- how about similar performance with a smaller (therefore cheaper) chip?
- possibly. But Nintendo is conservative, this system will have been in the planning for years and 14/16nm is on,y just coming on stream. So Nintendo IMO will be more inclined to design around 28nm, and then shrink in a couple of years to get cost savings later.

In his video, Trevelyan9999 says that he will report about the 3DS lineup tomorrow (today). That could provide some insight.

I expect he will be talking about release window for Dragon Quest 7 and 8 and Monster Hunter X. I hope there are unannounced titles yet to be revealed.

Trevelyan9999 seems to be quite confident about his source. Of course, we never know what is legit on the Internet. I agree that a mod should check if his source is legit.

Peterc

2 questions:

1) is zelda nx a port from zelda U? Or is it a different game? If its different, is it more like the zelda wiiu tech demo? ☺

2) You have said:Start saving your money for the Nintendo NX since it’s coming holiday 2016!

Does this mean that it will not be launched in nov but July?

Hermii

2 questions:

1) is zelda nx a port from zelda U? Or is it a different game? If its different, is it more like the zelda wiiu tech demo? ☺

2) You have said:Start saving your money for the Nintendo NX since it’s coming holiday 2016!

Does this mean that it will not be launched in nov but July?

Its a port of Zelda U. There is no way they are releasing two completely different console Zeldas this holiday.

It may still be a tech showcase for the NX though. If the Wii U version is 720p, no aa like we expect, the NX version could be 1080p, lots more post processing effects, better draw distance, 60fps, high res textures etc. Probably not all of those, but if any nx launch game will show us what the NX is capable of graphically its Zelda.

Its a port of Zelda U. There is no way they are releasing two completely different console Zeldas this holiday.

It may still be a tech showcase for the NX though. If the Wii U version is 720p, no aa like we expect, the NX version could be 1080p, lots more post processing effects, better draw distance, 60fps, high res textures etc. Probably not all of those, but if any nx launch game will show us what the NX is capable of graphically its Zelda.

This doesn't sound like anything Nintendo would do. If we do get Zelda NX, it's going to look the same but with included NX features.

I know it's never worth anticipating that Nintendo will finally buck trends, and decide to lead or chase the frontline of new emerging tech, but all of your premises and conclusions are based on pretty shoddy assumptions amounting to 'Nintendo classically does x, and so they will continue to do so'.

If the home-console is targeting a $299 price-point (furthermore sold at a loss) it could easily be just as powerful as PS4, if not decidedly more so; hell, PS4 power could probably be met or surpassed even at a $249 price-point.

Hermii

This doesn't sound like anything Nintendo would do. If we do get Zelda NX, it's going to look the same but with included NX features.

I disagree with you. They dont want to get the weak console stable right off the bat because of how much that hurt the Wii U. The last cross gen Zelda was a gamecube to Wii conversion and the Wii isn't that much stronger than the gamecube. If the NX is Xbox one powered, I am pretty sure they will show it off with Zelda.

Beside they release WWHD and TPHD on Wii U, so its not totally un Nintendo like.

I disagree with you. They dont want to get the weak console stable right off the bat because of how much that hurt the Wii U. The last cross gen Zelda was a gamecube to Wii conversion and the Wii isn't that much stronger than the gamecube. If the NX is Xbox one powered, I am pretty sure they will show it off with Zelda.

Beside they release WWHD and TPHD on Wii U, so its not totally un Nintendo like.

I really hope you're right.
A part of me just isn't convinced yet that Nintendo will go that route. Didn't Kimishima said that there won't be big chances in the path that Iwata has laid before him?

geordiemp

- PS4 is a single chip APU for cost saving and efficiency reasons

You have answered your own questions, the cheapest way to make a console is obviously an APU, and on 28 size its clear Ps4 and Xb1 are as big as anyone sensible would go.

If NX is more powerful, it would be a 28 size APU but with newer CPU / GPU cores. Anyone can design a CPU + GPU >>> Ps4, but it would cost more and the 2 components (CPU + GPU) + more production costs would be more expensive than MS and Sony.

The 14 argument for cost reduction also applies to every hardware manufacturer, including MS and Sony, and everyone will use it when it becomes efficient.

Riozaki

Banned
Guys, I'm on the fence here. I want to buy a Wii U but I'm afraid Nintendo will release their new console this year or the next year. I want a system to stay with me supported for at least two years.

So what do you think, should I buy a Wii U or wait for the NX reveal and see what it's all about?

Guys, I'm on the fence here. I want to buy a Wii U but I'm afraid Nintendo will release their new console this year or the next year. I want a system to stay with supported for at least two years.

So what do you think, should I buy a Wii U or wait for the NX reveal and see what it's all about?

I'd definitely wait until they reveal more info on the NX. It might have BC with Wii U.

And if Trevelyan is right, not much is coming for the Wii U this year.

Sagittal

Banned
Guys, I'm on the fence here. I want to buy a Wii U but I'm afraid Nintendo will release their new console this year or the next year. I want a system to stay with supported for at least two years.

You haven't got long to wait, don't waste your money on a dead console that will likely cease support by the year's end.

Hermii

Wait for NX. Or it's up to you. NX probably won't have bc with wii u. If trev is right NX will come this year and wii u won't get much more support beyond announced games and paper Mario.

Oddduck

I would wait a few months to see what NX is.

For all we know, the NX could receive a lot of remasters of Wii U titles.

There's already rumors that Zelda U and Smash Bros U are coming to NX.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Definitely wait to see if NX will have backwards compatibility or remasters. Also, there's a chance that, if a Wii U replacement is coming, the Wii U will drop in price (assuming a console NX would enter at around $300 or $350) this year.

ASIS

Can someone send me a PM with the info? I don't give a shit if it was a rumour or confirmed news I just want to know.

Honestly, Trevelan's rumor is great, but it's pretty much exactly what we've all been expecting since .....a year ago when Zelda U was delayed and those Foxconn documents leaked.
Miyamoto said in one of his interviews that, if Minecraft were to come to Nintendo systems, they'd have an opportunity to do something cool with their IPs, so yeah "the Minecraft Nintendo DLC/thing" has been hinted at before.

I really don't think we have to get a mod in here, what he/ his source said is extremely believable and not even a tiny bit out there .

Edit: You just have to listen to what Miyamoto says. He hinted at Starfox (and proper new Metroids), a remake of ALTTP (which apparently turned into ALBW) the Minecraft DLC/thing and one other thing I can't recall at the moment.

Definitely wait to see if NX will have backwards compatibility or remasters. Also, there's a chance that, if a Wii U replacement is coming, the Wii U will drop in price (assuming a console NX would enter at around $300 or $350) this year.
Any Nintendo system at those price points will struggle, unless it's a Wii-like situation again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You have answered your own questions, the cheapest way to make a console is obviously an APU, and on 28 size its clear Ps4 and Xb1 are as big as anyone sensible would go.

If NX is more powerful, it would be a 28 size APU but with newer CPU / GPU cores. Anyone can design a CPU + GPU >>> Ps4, but it would cost more and the 2 components (CPU + GPU) + more production costs would be more expensive than MS and Sony.

The 14 argument for cost reduction also applies to every hardware manufacturer, including MS and Sony, and everyone will use it when it becomes efficient.

I disagree. PS4 and Xb1 are using the current latest AMD GCN GPU architecture. any significant improvement over PS4 would need either a smaller node or Polaris - both of which are too late for Nintendo to accommodate IMO

Or they could go dual chip with a discrete GPU and separate CPU, but that would again be more expensive

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So, Mercedes just leaked the NX controller:

CbpsKrlW8AAoCEt.png:large

(I kid, i kid)

Just, like, imagine for a second that this would be an actual new controller presented for a new console on E3, and imagine all the reactions. This would be incredible lol.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Or they could go dual chip with a discrete GPU and separate CPU, but that would again be more expensive
Nintendo faced issues with wiiU's MCM - it unlikely they'd repeat that.

Peterc

We have to stop doing it. Trevel has reach the point where he is afraid to post something on neogaf to get a ban.

Pm the text to you

Volotaire

I am getting similar vibes to the Nintendo E3 2013 speculation thread when posters kept asking for PM's (as a joke and seriously). The thread didn't survive.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I am getting similar vibes to the Nintendo E3 2013 speculation thread when posters kept asking for PM's (as a joke and seriously). The thread didn't survive.

I think the moderation is happy that one thread is aggregating all the NX craziness that lead to so many specific NX speculation threads. Given the lack of vetting of rumors, I think we are on our own here.

I spend two days reading this thread and damn....there some amazing stuff in here.

I'm really super excited! Seems like something big is gonna happen very soon and makes me think yes, yes, YES!

tumblr_likmsbsY0M1qgt3ngo1_500.gif

Zelda being on the NX does not conclude a console. It means jackshit in this day and age, actually.

Xenoblade, of all things, is on a 3DS.
On New 3DS. Even DKCR had issues being ported to the OG 3DS
But yeah, I don't think Nintendo is going to pass up the chance to launch with Zelda and that was planned for a 2016 release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom